NATION

PASSWORD

The Grand Ball (IC: Please Sign up in OOC thread first)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vyrsar
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vyrsar » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:38 pm

Vyrsarian Party and Matthew, John, and Allaria

Mathias took John's hand in his own, giving it a firm shake and offering a rarely-seen warm smile.

"A pleasure returned," he replied, and continued with a chuckle. "Your father has kept you well hidden."

"Jung und schön. Über achtzehn, Rebekkas Alter, würdest du nicht sagen?" Emilie murmured to Mathias in a quiet voice, the words flying out of her mouth quickly.
"Young and handsome. About eighteen, Rebekka's age, wouldn't you say?"

"Ja, das würde ich... (Yes, I would...)"

Emilie gently nudged Rebekka forward, who obliged, although somewhat reluctantly. Emilie opened her mouth to speak, before she was ambushed from behind in a bone-crushing hug.

"Und överraskning (And surprise!)"

Mathias chuckled under his breath as the bright, beautiful face of Alena popped up from over his wife's shoulder, complete with her signature bubbly attitude.

"Du wirst nicht glauben, wie überrascht ich war, als ich erfuhr, dass du kommst!" she shot out quickly, smiling up at Mathias, who raised an eyebrow.
"You won't believe how surprised I was when I learned that you were coming!"

Her eyes lowered and her arms dropped from around Emilie's waist. She offered a nod to the people across from them.

"Matthew, Allaria. Always nice to see you again," she offered, her words conveying a well-hidden venomous undertone.
"Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf."
-ESL
-This Nation does not represent my IRL views

Under New Management Since July 2014

Novitera
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:40 pm

Kenneth Sorley

Kenneth moved in step with Keth. He found the dance relaxing more than anything and was content to take the lead. Calculating the steps slowly went to the back of his mind. "I'm glad you say so. But out of place? This cannot be your first dance." He replied. It was a genuine complement and if incorrect, was at least more natural to her than it was to him. Kenneth tried to think of the last time he danced. The Wiyrkomi corporate retreat was an interesting affair. First they started with slow dances like this. Then all the executives and managers of the Noviteran software titan took cocaine and the tune changed to Noviteran Swing. Noviterans can cut loose too I suppose.

It was a hypocritical culture they had. A Noviteran executive could be a sharp, serious man or woman in the office. Dress shirt buttoned to the top, pocket squares impeccably folded, hair combed by the strand. Then off the job, it was perfectly acceptable for that same person to be seen at a club or bar getting absurdly drunk, snort a line of cocaine and smoke a joint. They worked hard then partied and gambled even harder. Although Kenneth's only vices were moderate drinking, occasional gambling for the social aspect and especially screwing over others to the benefit his clients.

"Must we have our tasks?" she said pleasantly. "Business is all well and good, but this is a chance to unwind while other people machinate in their corners. Nalayans worship duty as much as the next people, but even I must admit I would very much like the chance to let loose a little bit."

""Yes. We must. You do not want to see the world fall apart do you?" Kenneth teased. The truthful answer was "Yes, I do have a task and I am one of those people machinating in the corner...just not right now." He avoided that topic to enjoy the moment. Kenneth wondered if Keth enjoyed it too. His phone buzzed in his pocket which Keth probably noticed. He guessed it was some client wanting counsel on a mundane matter. Kenneth quickly shut it off. "I suppose the world can go to hell."

"Tell me Keth. What would you be doing right now if you had the ability, the choice and no other obligations to get in the way?" Kenneth asked.

Schottia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Schottia » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:53 pm

Freya Kelman with James Mathews

Freya was in a difficult position. Firstly she was new to all this, being only recently appointed to her post, she hadn’t had the same experience mixing in high society that her predecessor would have had. Her second problem was that she had to make it look like she wasn’t nervous. She would have taken up the offer of a plus one, had she know it would be this difficult. However the brief she had been given said that she would be liaising with the Schottic Goodwill Ambassador to New Edom Gary Corsie, who would keep her right. When she pushed him on this his reply had been “I thought it was only a ceremonial title?” Well she could write him off, clearly.

She had made her way to the bar by herself leaving the young man fighting with his tie. In these kind of situations it was always better with a drink. Although not a big drinker generally, Freya had decided tonight was definitely going to have to be an exception. She was caught daydreaming when a young man bumped against her catching her attention.

'Oh hey.' She replied looking up at the gentleman, whom she gathered was about her age. 'Eh Dr. Freya Kelman, Schottia, and please call me Freya.'

Shalum... All she could think about was the war and the border tensions with Azurlazia. There was also of course Princess Anna.

Freya excused herself for a moment as the bartender approached her, taking her drinks order. While the barman turned away to pour her drink she turned back to James, giving him a warm smile and doing her best to seem a little apologetic.

'I guess I would ask how you are.' She said a little embarrassedly. 'But things must be pretty tough back home for you right now? I'm sorry this is going to sound really ignorant, but was the poor girl who went missing one of your relatives?'

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:08 pm

Zara and Murbella

Among the Ghantish guests, the more high profile nobles were enjoying dancing, and each other’s company.

Among them was Taboro of Arrautsa, who was dancing with Estella Brontzezko. Meanwhile, Estella’s brother Nori was dancing with his fiancé Molly Aitor. Gadiel of Gaemar was dancing with his lover, Servia Ahenobarba of Rome, a girl that could have easily been confused with her second cousin, Arietta. Izolde of Izotza was dancing with Josu of Jehenna, much to her chagrin, as she was not a fan of the man, and her eyes were wandering towards one of the Holland boys...the tall one. Kame of Odolargia was dancing with his wife, Jaena Aljiba, and very much wondering how his son and heir Errando was faring in Nalaya.

There was also Nathan’s grandparents, Raymond Zuria and his wife, Flavia Ahenobarba, Servia’s great aunt. Raymond was quick to start drinking and telling obnoxious jokes at other’s expense. When Prince Henry walked in, Raymond remarked that, “I would go shake his hand, but I would be afraid that he would turn to dust the moment I touched him.” Raymond had a knack for laughing at his own jokes too, and clearly the other Lords were growing annoyed with him.

And then there was Zara Thrall and Murbella of Noduar, standing around and talking. Murbella was wearing an elaborate white gown, one that concealed her feet and that clung tightly to her body and left to the imagination as to her shapely form, showing as much skin as could be reasonably shown at such an event. Her golden eyes scanned the room, and she brushed her long straight brown hair out of her face.

Her friend, Zara, was dressed much more modestly in comparison. She wore a blue dress that revealed the pale skin of her back, with a white sash around her waist. Her wavy white hair went just past her shoulders, and her own forest green eyes scanned the room as they talked.

“Why must you insist on dressing like that, Murbella?” Zara asked her friend.

Murbella shrugged. “I am a woman gifted with a beautiful body. There is now shame in reveling in that which the Gods have favored me. And its not like anyone can see my teats and cunny.” Murbella laughed as she cracked her long and slender neck.

“Yes…but you are a Queen, Murbella.”

“Of course I am. So if anyone has the ability to wear a dress that will have been begging for my favors, it would be me. It is good to be Queen.”

“Speaking of which…” Zara’s eyes made contact with the Deadorans, especially Jennifer Thrall. There is the bitch that sits the throne that is mine be rights, Zara thought.

She felt her feet beginning to creep towards Jennifer, wondering if she noticed Zara’s green eyes burning in her direction. Murbella quickly reached out with a hand and grabbed Zara’s arm. “I know what you are thinking, Zara…and now is not the time. Malibar will have your ass if you cause a scene…shit, he looked like he was going to strangle Nathan just for playing that song.”

Zara bit her lip. “I want to introduce myself…”

Murbella shook her head with a grin. “Now is not the time. Wait until it is a naturally occurring situation. Find someone to dance with or something.”

“I don’t dance.” Zara responded coldly.

“Well, tonight would be a good time to learn. Besides, that is what I am about to do.” Murbella said as she spotted Lalery on the floor.

Zara noticed that twinkle in her eye. “…Seriously, Murbella? That pig?”

Murbella turned her head to Zara, her golden eyes flashing. “The sausage makes pigs worth the trouble. If it wasn’t for that Dain girl distracting him, I might have already had a taste back in Dakar.” Murbella laughed as she began to make her advance.

Zara rolled her eyes and followed, half grunting and half sighing. Her eyes lingered on Jennifer as she went, casting unseen daggers.
Last edited by Ghant on Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:30 pm

`The orchestra leader approached the microphone and said, "Well, ladies and gentlemen, we all love the romance of a waltz, but in this country, we have a Queen who loves all kinds of music--and right now we're going to have some musical reminiscence..." drums began beating, and a number of New Edomites on the ballroom floor began to cheer and applaud.

"My goodness, my Mark used to love this so much," commented Dowager Queen Elizabeth to a group of the older Edomite and Ghantish ladies and gentlemen. "People don't remember it of him often, but he loved big band music..."

"So did James, though he loved jazz better," remarked Dowager Queen Rebecca with a sigh, deliberately not looking at her lover.

Mara excitedly hearing the sound of the band, and the orchestra leader, who was famous in the country for being able to imitate singers' styles, began to sing. Admiral Charles Rand, who was a tall, big nosed balding man and the Minister of Transport, came up in his full dress naval uniform and smiling said, "Want to cut the rug honey?"

"Oh Uncle Charlie, this is such a fun night!" she exclaimed, and they began to swing across the floor. The House of Obed, its family and friends, loved dancing. Rand was spinning her, they were twisting and turning and shoes moving fast on the floor, Mara shaking curvaceous hips, snapping her fingers, shimmying her body. Princess Ava smiled watching them, and said, "Far out," in a dreamy voice.

Mara saw Jennifer Thrall enter the ballroom. Like a panther approaching a perfume counter, she thought. Meeting her in the receiving line had been interesting, though formal. Such mixed feelings; she felt frankly frightened of the Deadoran Empress; she could smell the sense of latent violence and ruthless cunning from her, and yet at the same time it was not like when she had just been a princess. Now she felt more and more like she was coming into her own, and so she had simply welcomed her and honoured her. Few recognize your greatness, she said earnestly, In seeing beyond what is virtuous merely for your own country but for Acheron and Cornellia. I'm so honoured that you came to my wedding. And she was--the Deadoran head of state might be a traditional enemy, but she had come to her wedding--Mara wondered if the other foreign leaders understood what a very big deal that was. She was sure Perrin did. But then she lost herself in the dancing for a bit--she wanted to enjoy herself as much as she could tonight.

Lavinia found waltzes depressing, and the albino weirdo talking to her just as depressing. Thanks for drawing attention to things that bother me at a public occasion, weirdo, she thought. To her relief she saw Camilla, but Camilla wasn't noticing her. It was like she was looking for someone on the dance floor. She looked stunning, and Lavinia felt a stab of deep envy that conflicted with her love of her friend. Camilla had a freshness to her attractiveness, an artlessness to it she was completely unaware of. Her dress made her arms look but strong and yet beautfiul, her athletic shape contrasting with the delicate soft material, her natural hair escaping her coiffure a little, and her large eyes and eager expression...Lavinia felt sick at heart. Had she ever been so innocent? She felt jaded and alone. "I'm sorry," she said, making herself smile. "What were you saying? Would you care to dance?" she suggested, desperate to avoid her husband, not able to bear being with Olympia, not wanting to rain on whatever Camilla's parade was. Oh God, and she had to turn away so that she didn't have to respond to Dinah Dathan, who was giving her the hopeful eye. She thought she'd scream if she had to talk to Dinah Dathan--not that she wasn't pleasant and friendly, but she was so obviously enjoying herself and would want to talk about the wedding. The very word was irritating her now.

"You really must come and dine with us some time," enthused Dinah. "You seem to enjoy this subject so much, and I'm afraid my husband---now where did he get to--? is like most men, he's oblivious to such things. I tell you, I changed the furniture arrangements in our living room, and he said, when I asked if he'd noticed anything different 'did you change your hair'?" she laughed. "Some men, I tell you! Oh, but I adore him, I'm so proud of him, how could I not be?" a flicker of sadness was in her eyes,then gone. "And such a good father. But I'm sorry, yes, Cornellian formal dress is all the rage for the ladies in the capital these days, and the President really prefers that to the Free Congress Edenism nonsense. Leave that to the plebes, right? Zealots and peasants who don't know any better, but the rest of us must be citizens of the world, yes?" she took a glass of wine from a girl painted to resemble pink and blue tulips wound in garlands around her body and smiled.

Olympia looked up in surprise but in faint gratitude when the foreign woman began flirting with her husband in front of her. Thank God, maybe she wouldn't have to put up with Hesperinus quietly and affectionately telling her to display her backside to him tonight. Thinking of it...looking over the balcony she saw a rescue. "Darling, do you mind if I retreat a bit away from the dance floor? I'm feeling a headache coming on, and I saw a couple of friends to keep me company."

Hesperinus kissed her delicate throat solicitously, his coarse lips touching her gently. He actually loved it when she was a wilting flower, he would become kinder, give her little presents, give her space, and enjoyed comforting her show of meek and girlish jealous at his 'flings', it made things so bearable. "Very well, my little countess." He nodded to her maid, who stood to help her up, so that she wouldn't struggle with heaving indignity from the chair.

Hesperinus turned to Isabella. "One has a duty to one's wife of course," he said pleasantly. "And I am remiss, of course I recognize Your Majesty," he said with a bow that did not take his eyes from her body. "I am Zadok Hesperinus. I commanded the CPO force in Gavinium Magnus last year, and I have been involved in many campaigns. I love war, of course. All generals should, in my opinion. New Olwe has precarious relations with New Edom. Your adopted land dislikes our morality," he said with a grin splitting his rough features as though he was above that sort of thing. "What do you think of morality?"

Archbishop William Laudner said to Lothar, "There are certainly things we can agree on, my friend. The importance of feeding the poor, encouraging peace, providing guidance to people to encourage them to be good neighbors, developing education, and establishing fairness and honesty. There are other things that I, as Patriarch of the Council of Five Churches, cannot compromise on, I'm afraid." He smiled rather gently, and was grateful that Mara had chosen him and not Samuel Under for this ceremony. Under would have wanted everyone stark naked and eating bread, cheap wine and onions anyway.

Countess Camilla felt her heart racing, she walked by the two clerics talking and bowed her head deeply to the Archbishops, then continued on her way and seeing William, walked up to him, dry mouthed, and found she had no idea what to say or do; she found tears filling her eyes and she burst out with, "I'm so sorry about Annabelle...all I can offer you is my prayers and sympathy, oh gosh this is the wrong time to say this isn't it?" Now why had she said that? This was a happy occasion, of course they wouldn't want to talk about this now. William was so kind to her but she was so stupid and said things without thinking all the time...

Lalery was furious at being interrupted, it happened all the time lately. Thoughts of tormenting his crowned sister danced away from him. He could even feel the trembling conflict in her. And Enoch was grinning at him like a marsh fox eating duck eggs. Bastard. "I should let you two talk, sir," he said, bowing, leaving Olivia flashing her smile, saying, "It's such a dazzling occasion, I'm so happy for Mara! May the marriage last a lifetime, it seems so often that people don't overcome their marriage woes these days, don't you think? Of course I'm a known romantic! You haven't read any of my books,have you?"

Lalery (a powerfully built young man with dark hair, nearly black eyes, with the nearly triangular build of a pit bull in his white uniform tunic and dark trousers, his two medals and silver braid softly gleaming) fuming walked off, and noticed Alazne Dain was already spoken for too! His fury increased. Night of the Cockblockers strikes again he thought. He'd have to find that maid of Lavinia's and stuff it in the wrong way, leave her something to remember. Anything. It struck him that he and Albert had much in common. This marriage was the end for him. Mara, given his luck, would pup three times in three years and render him insignificant, make him a royal cipher. Everything--glory and power--was fleeting to him before his very eyes. He stalked by Levi Dathan and two Adiran nobodies and stared into the undersecretary's eyes. Levi bowed low but somehow conveyed his contempt--Levi exercised more authority in an hour than he did in a week, and what was he? A no title city Baran with no more than two houses to his name, a Tartarian whore of a mistress, a social climbing bitch of a wife and squalling whelps who would become other civil servants or business managers or academics, drones. And two Adirans, a petty diplomat--Singer, Symington, some weird foreign Anglo name, and his horse faced tart of a wife. He nodded curtly to them all and went on towards the outer gallery to smoke and calm his nerves.

Levi barely really noticed; he had bowed quickly as he was listening to Julia saying the most interesting thing about the media. He laughed and then realized she was serious. "Oh...well that's one point of view I suppose. But I find that so often these days journalism is little more than glorified editorials and blogging, wouldn't you say Mrs. Singleton, or is your experience different?"

At the bar, a small group of Edomites were talking. A woman with brown hair, earnest expression, wearing a dark green dress that partly showed her shoulders, was talking to a dark olive tanned man with dark greying hair, lean craggy features and a tall athletic figure who was wearing a white uniform tunic with a row of gleaming medals, dark trousers and riding boots; each was holding a glass of pepper vodka. "I have noticed not too many of the guests have gone to sign up for the donations to the charities," she was saying quietly. "Do you think that the information wasn't clear, or are they skeptical of where the money is going? After all it's controversial in Azurlavai too."

"That is probably it," said the tall man, raising an eyebrow. "But the Queen is planning halfway through the ball to make a discreet friendly reminder. So it will all work out for the best, doctor."

Perrin Pahath-Moab said with a smile, "My dog's name is Rover, and he is my most loyal and dependable friend. A pity they don't live as long as people,but then they wouldn't be as good at what they do, would they? Alright Rover, stand easy." The Airedale moved aside, looking up at Perrin alertly, as the President of the Council of Ministers properly kissed his grandmother by marriage on both cheeks. "Welcome to Fineberg," he said, holding her arms gently but firmly to forestall her doing anything silly, and then with a friendly squeeze stepped out of pinching range again.

A young naval officer in full dress approached the President and stood at attention, clicking his heels, and said, "Message from Defense Council, Excellency."

"Ah! You will excuse me I hope, duty always calls," he said with a bow to Bessandra, to the others, and walked away with Commander Rautio, who whispered to him, "Admiral Shalmaneser is preparing landings; apparently we have driven the enemy off the field but with heavy losses, and incredible damage to the port."

"Incredible damage, Kaarlo? What is this, an audition or a report?" Perrin said to him.

"Sorry, sir, I mean that nearly all the infrastructure as shown from the air is apparently so badly damaged that we'll have to make use entirely of our own equipment and power sources," Raudio amended quietly. "There have been no enemy prisoners thus far, but sweep and clears of the general area have been planned by General Barak. Our Ambassador in Lowell City has begun negotiations...it's not promising." Rautio said.

"Very well. Continue to keep me informed," Perrin said, looking thoughtfully into the distance a moment. "And check on whether or not Kiron can move another flight of San Reals to Peregrino, will you?"
Last edited by New Edom on Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Shalum
Minister

Founded: Oct 07, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Shalum » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:31 pm

John smiled back, a bit more at ease as he realized the man was more receptive then his cool, lady-killer image put out. "Apparently he has. I only turned eighteen a few months ago, in truth and I haven't done much in the way of traveling like Matthew here. Hopefully that will change in the future, though" he replied warmly as he dropped his hand back to his side. Maybe meeting new people wasn't as bad, but then again, these people were from Vyrsar, a nation that Shalum considered a close friend. Between the Germanic culture of northern Shalum, and the assistance that the VDF had provided in Azurlavai, the approval rating of the northern nation had only gone up.

Due to where he was standing, and thanks to his attentive nature, John was able to hear some of what Emilie said in German. While few knew it, he was fluent with the language. He could have conversations easily in German...but writing it was not something he had mastered just yet--though that was something he was working on fixing. What he understood were the words: 'handsome, eighteen, and Rebekka's age'. The rest had been too quiet or fast for him to understand. It was one of the few things he hated, he had yet to master the speed that his German teacher had.

As Rebekka was nudged forward, John gave her a small, warm smile as he offered his hand to shake as well. In Shalum, it would have been a bit more 'proper' to kiss her hand as a way of greeting, but he wasn't quite sure how that would have gone considering cultural differences; not to mention he found the act just a bit unsanitary. His words were in perfect German, the pronunciations all correct, though he didn't speak as fast as the Vyrsarians did. "Es ist ein Vergnügen, Sie zu treffen, zu verpassen. Rebekka Vandenberg, nehme ich an?" he asked, still feeling a bit shy. She was an attractive girl, he had to give her that...and he didn't exactly have the best track record with the attractive types. He was handsome, but once his brothers showed up, women tended to drift to them.

("It's a pleasure to meet you, miss. Rebekka Vandenberg, I presume?")

Beside John, Matthew looked genuinely surprised at how easily John spoke, the younger prince not appearing to miss a beat. While Matthew understood German well enough to get around, he was more fluent in Azurlavain Gothic. "Later" he whispered quickly to Allaria as he noticed Alena approaching from behind. She made him tense for more reason then one. She was a beautiful girl, who rivaled Allaria. As she spoke, he did his best to not wince. He doubted she was happy, and he had reason to believe there was words left unspoken. "Alena" he nodded as he shifted on his heels. "Good to see you again, I didn't know you would be attending" he replied.

John looked back at Matthew and Allaria, replying in English. "You two can go on and dance if you want, I'm not exactly keen on it just yet" he replied honestly. Unlike Matthew, he didn't have a partner...plus he found some of said girls a bit intimidating. Strangely, he didn't find any of the Vyrsarians that intimidating, just towering.
Last edited by Shalum on Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conscription is the vitality of a nation, the purification of its morality, and the real foundations of all its habits.

It is better to be a warrior in a garden then to be a gardener in a war.

Nalaya
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nalaya » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:54 pm

With Kenneth

Keth laughed for the first time in what felt like years. It was a soft laugh, but still very much a laugh. Her job didn't lend itself well to joking and she hadn't had time off to spend even with her colleagues for weeks. "Well, if the world does fall apart, at least it will be quite a show," she said. She noticed the phone buzzing but didn't give it a second thought. Hers was thankfully no longer glued to her person—she had this one night, and likely only this one night, off of emergency duty. The advantages of a diplomatic assignment where she wasn't 'in the way', she supposed.

"The ability, the choice, and no other obligations?" Keth said thoughtfully, still smiling in amusement. Kenneth was proving to be a very diverting, entertaining gentleman. She appreciated that. Friends were few in her life, but she didn't mind the idea of having him as an acquaintance. "A veritable enigma of a question. What would I do with myself? I think I would run away to somewhere and fall in love. Perhaps a tad traditional, but I think one should always at least consider the classics. But I would have to do it very quickly before they could reel me back. Maybe somewhere quiet in Northern Acheron. I have a certain fondness for snow."

It would be something to move on. She hadn't seen Tim in...months. Or was it more than a year now? Time seemed to twist in on itself and do strange things when she was working. She blinked and half a year went by, or so it seemed. There just weren't enough hours in the day to consider her personal life. The reality was, she thought ruefully, that she was on high speed just as much as the Noviteri were. She would probably never see him again and that was almost certainly for the best. A married man was a married man. With enough time, she would let it go.

She kept her attention fixed on Kenneth instead of letting her thoughts stray down that road, however. It would be unforgivably rude to ignore her dance partner, particularly since he was doing such a good job of lifting her mood. "And you, Paron? What would you do if you had the ability, the choice, and no other obligations?"

The beat changed and she automatically switched steps to follow it. Jazz and swing were still popular in much of Nalaya, so it wasn't a completely foreign notion. Unfortunately, this meant her conversation would be a little hurried until they bowed off the dance floor. She left that decision up to her companion.

A little part of her was still scanning the room, idly checking for anything that struck her as out of place, but it was so small it was barely perceptible. It was automatic at this point in her life. After all, few Nalayans lived long by being unaware of their surroundings. But for the most part it was couples and little groups of people, many flirting. It seemed Eros would be busy this evening if luck favored even half of the people currently chatting each other up.
Do you know, my son, with what little understanding the world is ruled?
- Pope Julius III

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:24 pm

Allaria

Allaria observed the situation, as she saw the young German girl get pushed forward. Allaria knew what was going on. Time for the counterattack.

Allaria turned her head around and noticed her brother Artos, dancing with the Sastagai girl. She spoke to him in Ghantish.

"Lucas, ekarri koadrila modu honetan."
"Lucas, bring the gang this way."

Lucas said something to Lilliana, who them said something to the other girls in the pack.

Meanwhile, Alena spoke. "Matthew, Allaria. Always nice to see you again," Alena said…almost condescendingly.

Allaria responded in turn. “The pleasure is mine, Alena. It would have been such a shame if you were unable to attend.” Allaria said as she held her Matthew close to her.

Then the pack was upon them. Princess Rebecca of Ghant was the first to volunteer. “Hey John, what’s up? Wanna dance with me?”

Yes, yes, there you go, girl…there you go. Allaria thought to herself as she grinned wide.

Bessandra

Perrin Pahath-Moab said with a smile, "My dog's name is Rover, and he is my most loyal and dependable friend. A pity they don't live as long as people, but then they wouldn't be as good at what they do, would they? Alright Rover, stand easy." The Airedale moved aside, looking up at Perrin alertly, as the President of the Council of Ministers properly kissed his grandmother by marriage on both cheeks. "Welcome to Fineberg," he said, holding her arms gently but firmly to forestall her doing anything silly, and then with a friendly squeeze stepped out of pinching range again.

Bessandra beamed a big smile. “Thank you Perrin, you are such a sweet man, and it is an honor to be here in such a fine and splendid country! And yes, I agree that beasts that live short lives tend to be loyal and dependable…although northern Ghantar might be an exception to that axiom.” Bessie laughed.

That was when King Diego IV Garza appeared. "Grandmother, might I have this dance?" he asked her, smiling.

Then Diego addressed Perrin. "Your Excellency will excuse me, please. I would like to speak to my grandmother again, after so long. Blanca was looking for you, I believe, anyway. Grandmother, she hopes to see you again at some point tonight, but for the present, she has urgent matters to discuss with her husband,"

Bessie perked up at the sight of her grandson. “Diego, my sweet!” Bessie moved to embrace her grandson, and went to pinch and kiss his cheeks. “Please, let’s dance, and then help me gather all my other babies together, your sisters and your aunt! I want to see them all together. Can we do that, my boy? Can you indulge your grandmamma who loves you so very much?”

Murbella

Murbella eyed Lalery as he stalked about the ballroom…he didn’t look to thrilled about something. Luckily, she was tall enough to be able to see where he was going through the crowds, which now were filling the ballroom.

Murbella watched him go into another room. She turned her head to noticed that Zara got separated from her, and was presumably no longer in her immediate company. Better not cause any trouble with Jennifer, Murbella thought to herself as she entered the adjoining room.

Murbella found Lalery having a cigar in an adjoining gallery. Murbella moved quietly in his direction, hips swaying, with a coy grin and determined eyes. “Good evening, Count. Need a break from the action, I assume?” Murbella said as she leaned up against a wall, her golden eyes wandering around the gallery, and a finger twirling her long dark brown hair.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

Novitera
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:31 pm

Noviterans

Kenneth was glad that Keth found him amusing. At least she laughed, something that seemed the woman seldom got the chance or allowed herself to do. Her answer to his question would seem cliche but Kenneth liked it. Simple and short, there was beauty in that. The thought seemed appealing to Kenneth as well, except the idea of snow. There were mountains in Novitera but mostly the country was known for its chaparral deserts, warm sandy beaches and palm trees. Even if it did rain quite a bit in the south during the colder months. He noticed a hint of sadness, if only for a brief moment, in Keth's eyes. Kenneth could not be sure.

"That is a wonderful answer." He replied, giving his true thoughts.

The music switched to something faster. A jazz and swing song very popular dance in Novitera. He did the dance with far more skill and grace than the previous one. It was clear that this was a Noviteran favorite as he saw his fellow countrymen rush onto the dance floor at hearing the beat. Molly Umeko, the Noviteran cultural attache to Ghant had hauled a member of the Noviteran Executive Guard Company on the dance floor. Surprisingly, Kenneth's goddaughter Molly Aitor was there too. Molly Aitor, the billionaire heir and Aitor Mining Corporation executive was with Nori Brontzezko her fiance, who both knew the dance quite well. Finally came Harvey Gentry with Kendall Camden, the Noviteran cultural attache to New Edom. All couples put on quite a spectacle for the entire ballroom doing the tricks and aerial movements of Lindy Hop. Kenneth saw Harvey throw Kendall over his back for her to land gracefully on her feet.

"That's the difference between you and I Keth. I can quit anytime I want..." He said and paused. The dance took a bit of coordination and focus. "...get a nice beach house in northern Novitera. Spend my whole day surfing. I have the money for it. But I keep playing the game because I love it. I'm exactly where I want to be." Kenneth explained. He looked at the others with a bit of envy at their advanced movements. "How well do you know this dance?" He asked, wanting to see if Keth could keep up.
Last edited by Novitera on Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:47 pm

Ghant wrote:
Murbella

Murbella eyed Lalery as he stalked about the ballroom…he didn’t look to thrilled about something. Luckily, she was tall enough to be able to see where he was going through the crowds, which now were filling the ballroom.

Murbella watched him go into another room. She turned her head to noticed that Zara got separated from her, and was presumably no longer in her immediate company. Better not cause any trouble with Jennifer, Murbella thought to herself as she entered the adjoining room.

Murbella found Lalery having a cigar in an adjoining gallery. Murbella moved quietly in his direction, hips swaying, with a coy grin and determined eyes. “Good evening, Count. Need a break from the action, I assume?” Murbella said as she leaned up against a wall, her golden eyes wandering around the gallery, and a finger twirling her long dark brown hair.

The gallery was largely of busts of past famous Edomites--King David the Lawgiver and King David the Landstrider, Adah the LIberator, Josias I the Martyr, Joachim Carmel, Saint Nathaniel of Calafia, a past Count Lalery, who had been President of the Council in the 1930s. The lean, ageing cunning face seemed to mock his own achievements.

"I like to enjoy a good Monte Angelo in private at times," said Lalery looking at her with a brooding glare. His eyes raked over her body in her revealing dress. "And I do not enjoy swing, it bores me. Smoke?" he suggested, lifting his case from his jacket, offering it. "It's rather appropriate, you showing up in a room full of busts," he added as he waited for her response.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Nalaya
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nalaya » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:54 pm

With Kenneth

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. That is an excellent summary of my duty," Keth said with a faint smile. It was too true, as much as she enjoyed the idea of quitting to live on the beach and do nothing but surf. Granted, she would have to learn how to surf. The ocean had a beauty to it that she found captivating, serene one moment and fearsome the next. Along Nalaya's rocky coasts, it could thunder and rage for hours before smoothing out until it seemed downright tame. "I do love it, though it takes a great deal from me. There is something special about it."

It was difficult to describe what kept her wrapped up in her job. Some of it was thrill, addiction to adrenaline. Some of it was pride in a job well done. Some of it was the fact that it was the only world that made perfect sense to her after everything that had happened. It would always be a part of her. She could always give her heart away to someone, but her job had branded itself into her soul. That would probably be difficult for a boyfriend or a husband to live with unless they really understood.

Keth saw the acrobatics of the Noviterans and felt her eyebrow twitch up in response almost skeptically. It was an automatic response and even she wasn't certain what it meant. Then Kenneth posed his question and she shrugged slightly. It was a series of steps she had seen sometimes in the south and had learned when she was first being taught to dance. It had been a little while and she wasn't precisely confident in her ability, even though she knew she could stay on her feet. Keth was a little bit like a cat that way. "I am rusty. If we start more slowly than your fellows are going, I might be able to catch back up."

She found she genuinely didn't want to disappoint Kenneth, which was interesting. She didn't normally build rapport with people so quickly unless she needed to. For once it was happening organically. This party was turning out to be a lot more enjoyable than the diplomatic train-wreck of Albicia, largely due to the company. And the lack of fighting. That helped too.
Do you know, my son, with what little understanding the world is ruled?
- Pope Julius III

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:56 pm

Lalery and Murbella

Murbella admired the busts that filled the gallery…faces of long dead men of presumably great import. Where are the women? Behind every great man was a great woman, or at least that is what was oft said.

"I like to enjoy a good Monte Angelo in private at times," said Lalery, as he stared at her body. You like that, don’t you? Murbella thought.

"And I do not enjoy swing, it bores me. Smoke?" Lalery suggested, lifting his case from his jacket, offering it. "It's rather appropriate, you showing up in a room full of busts."

Murbella laughed as she giggled her chest. “All these busts, but none of them busty. If they ever make a bust of me, I will insist on it being from the tits up.” Murbella laughed a bit more. “A cigar, yes please. That would do rather nicely.” Although that isn’t the only thing I would like to puff upon this night, she thought, as her golden eyes twinkled.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

Gavinium Magnus
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

The Gavinians

Postby Gavinium Magnus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:06 pm

Maximian II

"Well, Your Highness, I am King Maximian II of Gavinium Magnus. You are Princess Arietta, sister to Emperor Nathan IV of Ghant, yes?" Max formally identified himself.

"Might I ask how a companionable young lady of your station is not yet married off? I am curious, as it happens. You're the Emperor's sister. You're beautiful. You're rich. I would expect you to be fighting off suitors left and right," he wondered aloud.

Julian

"I wonder if perhaps I have been too blunt with you. Tact was never my strength, which was naturally why that silly Chancellor made me an Ambassador to New Edom, no less! An ambassador, seriously, at 18 years of age! Did he take leave of his senses? I think that he believed that Perrin doesn't respect too much finesse in foreign diplomats, that he has more respect for men with the chutzpah to say what they think and mean what they say. He is a soldier, after all. Though one can never be sure. He might just be punishing me for having the same given name," Julian grinned as he repeated his old joke.

"Yes, I would love to dance. Particularly with one such as you. Prince Julian, of course. Ambassador to New Edom, as stated," he smiled wider now.

Natalie

"Your Imperial Majesty, please call me 'Natalie'. I'm only a former Ambassador and widow to the late Chancellor, plus a countess. Our daughter's name is Sophia, after the founder of our land. She is doing quite well, of course, thank you. How is Her Imperial Majesty's pregnancy coming along," she inquired after the Empress.

Stephanie

Meeting Camilla didn't bother Stephanie, and she understood instinctively that somehow this woman was more what the man needed than herself. She didn't quite think of it in romantic terms, more of healing and nurturing, of comfort and consolation.

"You must be Camilla Harper. It is a pleasure to meet you. Stephanie Martineau, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Gavinium Magnus. I am engaged to the Chancellor, Julian Calvert. At any rate, let me excuse myself, please. It sounds as if you two have much to discuss between yourselves. Thank you, sir, for that wonderful dance," Stephanie curtsied again and approached Malibar of Dakmoor, being somewhat curious about him.

At that point she didn't quite catch where she was going and she accidentally bumped into someone...looking up, she saw....

Lothair

"Of course. Your churches have their bedrock principles and tenets of faith. I can respect that as a fellow Christian. Where we can agree and work together we should and where we differ, we can agree to disagree. Quite the city, isn't it, Fineberg? Very Roman and Edomite at once. Very impressive, really," Lothair confessed.

"What are your thoughts on relief efforts in Azurlavai, as it happens, amid the civil war?" he wondered.

"Also, what is still left to do here in Fineberg and Glasstower, etc.? I have to wonder how recovered much of New Edom really is from the various wars."
Last edited by Gavinium Magnus on Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Love of one is a piece of barbarism, since it is practiced at the expense of all."- Friedrich Nietzsche

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:36 pm

Arietta

The man introduced himself. "Well, Your Highness, I am King Maximian II of Gavinium Magnus. You are Princess Arietta, sister to Emperor Nathan IV of Ghant, yes?"

Oh, a King. “Yes, that is me. Nice to meet you…your majesty.” Arietta responded as they danced.

Maximian continued. "Might I ask how a companionable young lady of your station is not yet married off? I am curious, as it happens. You're the Emperor's sister. You're beautiful. You're rich. I would expect you to be fighting off suitors left and right."

Arietta smiled and laughed. “I am not even 20 yet! I got plenty of time to get married. Yeah, I got lots of suitors and such, but none of them have really…tickled my fancy. I can afford to wait for the best deal, you know what I mean? I have that luxury.”

Nathan

Natalie spoke to Nathan as they danced. "Your Imperial Majesty, please call me 'Natalie'. I'm only a former Ambassador and widow to the late Chancellor, plus a countess. Our daughter's name is Sophia, after the founder of our land. She is doing quite well, of course, thank you. How is Her Imperial Majesty's pregnancy coming along?"

“It is coming along rather nicely, Natalie. Should be due around Thanksgiving. Which actually brings me to my next point. Sophia and I would like for you to become Ambassador to Ghant…it might be good for you and your daughter, as well as for Sophia and her babies. I wonder if that might be something you would be interested in considering? If you are, I wonder who we could talk to arrange that.” Nathan explained as they continued to dance.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

Free Garza
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

The Garzans...

Postby Free Garza » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:40 pm

King Diego IV

"Grandmother, if you want a family photo, that can be arranged, though Blanca does have something to discuss with Perrin first. Rosa can perhaps introduce us to Empress Quinn of Ganosia, aunt of the Marquis of FitzRaymond, her new husband. I've met Ray, but not Quinn. Maria will have to be collected from King Michael, with whom she is dancing. She needs to introduce us to Martin, anyway, or at least reacquaint us with him. Give it a little time, of course. Isabel will be hardest of all, because she has apparently opted to try to seduce General Hesperinus, of course. Just give it a little time and we'll all be posing for your camera, Grandmother.

"How are things for the family in Ghant, as it happens? What is really going on with Nathan and Sophia, anyway?" he probed, mildly curious.

Rosa

"Thank you for the greeting, Your Majesty. How are things with the imperial family, as it happens? You know, of course, that Ray and I have begun working on our family. He is now Marquis of FitzRaymond as well, a title that gives him an estate back in Free Garza, albeit a small one because most land has been turned over to the peasants since land reform," Rosa explained, hoping that Quinn wouldn't have any objections to their union, of course.

Maria

"So, Your Majesty is now King of New Edom, albeit as consort. Wishing for Regere Coniugum yet?" Maria teased her future brother-in-law, of course.

She winked at Michael just to make it clear that she was only teasing him.

Isabel

"Well, it is true that in New Olwe, there is little use for traditional morals in the sexual sense, yet we do not litter, we have little crime, and we respect our natural environment, so that must be something for us. We also honor soldiers and have a strong dueling tradition as well. As for what I think....well, I think that people need to lighten up a little. Too many people are afraid of their own shadows. I am not. I live and come and go as I please, answering to no man.

"You seem to be much more worldly than most. Surely you can understand that, can you not?" Isabel flirted rather brazenly with the general.

She loved his raw animal magnetism, his unleashed masculinity, of course.

Montalbano

"Oh, my, you are a woman of excellent taste and sense! I can tell that I've made a friend. Shall we dance a bit, my dear?" Montalbano didn't let on that he was a homosexual, since it was apparent that Dinah was either faking her ignorance and didn't care or else just didn't pick up on the obvious.

Since she had no indication of anything but platonic interest, it didn't matter at all. She could be that kind of "girlfriend", not the romantic sort.
Last edited by Free Garza on Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Viva La Garza!

Vyrsar
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vyrsar » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:59 pm

Rebekka, noting the pace at which John addressed her, gave a warm, beautiful smile and likewise slowed down her own speech to a speed at which he would be able to easily understand.

"Sie übernehmen die korrekt, Prinz John," she said, her voice melodic, taking his hand gently in her own. She pulled slightly, causing him to take a few steps forward. "Also wirst du mich fragen, um zu tanzen?"
"You assume correctly, Prince John." | "So are you going to ask me to dance?"

She gave him a warm smile and locked eyes. Beside her, Emilie chuckled and, noting the other girl opening her mouth to speak, quickly spoke loudly in Varisci to Mathias to cover up whatever the other girl was saying.

"Dreh ni nust frolok ful qiib pahvoth?"
"Don't they look so cute together?"

She smiled up at Mathias, who was looking back down at his wife with an eyebrow raised. She chuckled at the expression, looking back to Rebekka and John with a keen smile. Rebekka tilted her head slightly.

"So?"
"Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf."
-ESL
-This Nation does not represent my IRL views

Under New Management Since July 2014

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:08 pm

Bessandra

"Grandmother, if you want a family photo, that can be arranged, though Blanca does have something to discuss with Perrin first. Rosa can perhaps introduce us to Empress Quinn of Ganosia, aunt of the Marquis of FitzRaymond, her new husband. I've met Ray, but not Quinn. Maria will have to be collected from King Michael, with whom she is dancing. She needs to introduce us to Martin, anyway, or at least reacquaint us with him. Give it a little time, of course. Isabel will be hardest of all, because she has apparently opted to try to seduce General Hesperinus, of course. Just give it a little time and we'll all be posing for your camera, Grandmother.” Diego explained to Bessie.

Bessie took her grandson to the floor, and began to dance with him. She was a very accomplished dancer, and even in her advanced age she was not lacking in ability or grace. Then she responded. “I would like to see my Maria, Rosa and Blanca, and their men together too. I want to see this Empress and her bastard nephew as well. Rosa could have been Empress of Ghant, and to think that she ended up with some Ganosian bastard instead…he must be impressive.” Bessie laughed, before leaning in close. “Have you seen Maria? She is on cloud nine with Martin! Isabella and I ran into her in Gauekoizarra, and we urged her to pay him a visit at Dakauregia…she hasn’t been away from Martin since…I wonder why?” she giggled.

Bessie for her part laughed. “Isabel is wasting her time with some blowhard like General Hesperinus…what she should be doing is trying to seduce Malibar. Maybe he will be less of a fickle prude if he got laid…which I doubt he has since Elizabeth died. And maybe if Isabel fancies it, she could become Queen of Dakmoor, yeah? Somebody out to go get her and steer her in a different direction…I might do it myself if I can find her.”

Diego asked another question. "How are things for the family in Ghant, as it happens? What is really going on with Nathan and Sophia, anyway?"

Bessie shrugged. “A combination of Nathan being an idiot and Sophia being hormonal from her pregnancy. I would know…I was like that too, with Isabel, your mother Catalina, and all the rest. Nathan is taking after his grandfather, Raymond Zuria…that chubby drunk son of a bitch sitting down over there with his poor Roman wife…the one he had to settle for when I rejected him, before your grandfather came along, I might add.”

Michael

"So, Your Majesty is now King of New Edom, albeit as consort. Wishing for Regere Coniugum yet?" Maria teased, with a wink.

Michael laughed. “I think I can live without that…I just want to be happy and be a part of the Royal Family, and beget happy royal children with a happy and willing wife.”

Michael danced with Maria some, and then he asked her a question. “Tell me about you and Martin…what’s that like? How is that going?”
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:14 pm

Tamburo

Alazne Dain. Tamburo now felt all the more the usurper. That was how the likes of Fatass Torloju saw him, right? A commoner invading their social circle? Would some noble kid run up to him with a pair of longswords and a glove and challenge him to a duel now?

As he took the beautiful woman's hand, he realized that he very well might be opening himself up to any number of accusations. Allegedly, Dain's father was one of those medieval types who expected that all his daughters stay virgins until marriage. He expected this despite A) Living in the 21st century as opposed to the 18th and B) living in Ghant.

So, what were the odds that his stunning daughter wouldn't have her cherry popped on her wedding night? If Dain was the type of guy to obsess over a hymen or two, he was likely the suspicious type. That meant anybody who so much looked at her would invite suspicion. Dain was also of a conservative bent, which meant a lowborn foreign liberal hippy would make quite a convenient scapegoat. This was risky.

On the other hand, she was hot.

"The honor is all mine, Lady Dain," Tamburo said, taking her by the hand and leading her out onto the dance floor. The consul knew how to waltz, and fairly well at that, but he didn't get too creative at first. Instead, he engaged in some playful banter. "So, ma'am, what was all that discussion with your friends? Did you volunteer to get stuck with me, or were you volunteered?"
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:15 pm

Singletons

The Singletons barely noticed Lalery, the Consul only mirroring his nod and Julia not at all. At Levi's comment about the news, Julia actually blushed a bit, and stammered. "I uh..." Her husband filled in for her. "What my wife means to say, Undersecretary, is that she's one of those glorified editorial writers," he said with a stupid grin directed at her.

"Oh, very funny, dear," Julia replied sarcastically, "He was talking about opinions getting sold as news."

"Right, which is what you do," Cary said again. That one earned him a playful swat on the arm and a glare. Suddenly Julia found she wasn't itching for a slow dance with the idiot. He knew that was just a day job to her.

"I was actually talking about your boss knowing more, not mine," Julia clarified, since she hadn't been specific before. "The President, not...you know what? Never mind."

"What?"

"Nothing," Julia said, before trying to change the subject. Thankfully Julia thought she saw a few familiar faces, including Olympia laboriously making her way through the gallery. She made eye contact with the younger woman and decided it was better than taking shit from her husband about her job. "Hey, I'll be back in a bit with a couple of drinks, but you're not off the hook for a dance. It was a pleasure meeting you, Undersecretary."

Cary rolled his eyes as his wife took off. "Well, you can tell who just lost that debate. Teasing her is how I compensate for having to learn to dance," Singleton said to Levi. "I think they have a phrase for what you're talking about, Undersecretary: "Infotainment." Entertainment posing as journalism. Take a popular position, report it all from that perspective, and whip everybody into a frenzy. Certainly makes diplomacy harder when you've got torches and pitchforks raised in the...blogosphere," he said, seemingly unable to stomach saying the word.

Approaching Olympia, Julia smiled. "Hey, it's great to see you! You look great! I still can't believe I got to go to a royal wedding. Everything was beautiful...but still tasteful if you know what I mean. Elegant, there's the word," she said. "Sorry, I'm gushing, we don't see things like this too often at home. Sometimes a movie star or a big executive will hold a big fancy wedding, but it's not public. Just a few creepy tabloid photos get out in some Noviteran papers."
Last edited by Hittanryan on Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:58 pm

Holly

Holly blanched at the suggestion that she should direct a documentary on...what country? Onetrea? She'd already forgotten! Why were they talking to her about this? "Um, well, I-I'm flattered that you think I'd be qualified for the job, but really I was just part of a team! Without everybody else, especially Chris Olsen and Travis Rikkers, it couldn't have happened!" 'And it's the only thing I've ever directed. And I'm not a director.'

"I can..." she started, when all of a sudden the Queen was walking away from her before she even finished. The Adiran blushed hotly in embarrassment. She just made a fool of herself in front of a queen. Worse, the earlier glass of champagne had gone right through her, it was all she could do to stop from dancing on the spot. Turning to the Foreign Minister, she said "I can...I'm here on behalf of ANBC, I can give you their contact information later if you'd like. Oh, but if you would please excuse me, I need to powder my nose."

Spending another couple of minutes trying to find the restroom, she found that the music had abruptly shifted to a fun swing dance. The second she left to find a dance partner, a woman named "Carlita Ruiz" intercepted her once again. "Oh, hi, I'm Holly Lemay. I'm here for ANBC, I..." suddenly she remembered how quickly she got in trouble with the director business. "I directed Testing the Waters, but I'm actually an actress by trade. I'm sorry, I'm terrible with names, what do you do again?"

Free Garza
Chargé d'Affaires

The Garzans...

Postby Free Garza » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:16 pm

Carlita Ruiz

Carlita smiled, and then lightly brushed her hand across Holly's right bicep.

"Well, as it happens, I am the Minister of Education in Free Garza for now, but I was President, Premier, Finance Minister, and a Senator at various points, even briefly a university chancellor. Prior to politics, I made a name for myself in adult films, however. So, what kind of cinema do you direct, Holly?' she leaned in to inhale her scent....something about the idea of an Adiran woman....so different, exotic, even.

Since the divorce, Carlita had been so lonely, after all. Seeing that happy bride....feeling the pain of losing Julio due to her own horrible mistakes, her repeated infidelity in a short space of time after behaving for so long....and then drowning her pain in 6 glasses of fine Schottian brandy, a proud product of the liberated working class in that socialist country.

Lonely, horny, envious, vulnerable....and drunk off her ass.
Last edited by Free Garza on Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Viva La Garza!

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:05 pm

Holly

"Oh, right, you were...President?" Holly said, trailing off, glancing downwards. What was she doing? This other woman had just reached over and felt her arm. The young woman's skin was warm, toned, and smooth to Carlita's touch.

"Prior to politics, I made a name for myself in adult films, however. So, what kind of cinema do you direct, Holly?"

Holly almost sputtered her champagne out. She raised a hand to her mouth, and cleared her throat. "A...adult films? No, I mean, I didn't direct adult films! Like I was saying, I'm an actress...not in adult films I mean!" Then she realized the other woman was close to her. Was she smelling her?

L Ossienne
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ossienne » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:15 pm

With Christina of Siritis/Christine de Vilhonneur

Noémie bowed her head, “It is good to make your acquaintance Christine de Vilhonneur, la Reine de Oenotria.” She then lifted her head and smiled a little brighter sensing the undertone in the other woman’s voice, “I am indeed from L’Ossienne madame,” She then considered the accent of the woman and her appearance more deeply before continuingm, “You do not strike me as a native of Oenotria, or am I incorrect?” She then looked briefly at Taskasaplidis, “Would you mind if I steal your wife a away for little bit your Majesty? I am here by myself and I could use a little company on the dance floor.”

Noémie then offered her arm to Christine and waited for the king’s response. “It seems like I have found myself someone rather intriguing,” thought Noémie as she stood patiently and made small talk with the queen who appeared to have a few years on her. What sort of person the king was, Noémie did not know, but that did not really matter as she continued to exude friendliness and trustworthiness with a bright smile, a sweet laugh, and the practiced grace of one who had spent years of her life behind a camera. Regardless of what the king might say, she would find a way to pull away Christine away from whatever might be troubling her, even it were only for a brief moment.

Shalum
Minister

Founded: Oct 07, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Shalum » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:34 pm

Freya Kelman with James Mathews

James looked down at her a nodded, his color returning to normal after a moment, as his embarrassment faded away. He took a small sip of his scotch highball and smiled slightly before replying. "In that case, Dominus James Matthews of the Shalumite exchequer at your service" he replied as he nodded. As she took her drink from the tender, he stepped back a few steps, in order to give some other patrons room to order for themselves. He watched the Schottian delegate returned, drink in hand.

At the mention of Azurlavai, James sighed a bit in sadness, frowning slightly as he swirled his drink. It seemed that it was all that anyone could talk about anymore, and for good reason. If there was something that could shake the southern continent, or even the world for that matter, the events in Azurlavai were it. They posed a bigger threat to domestic tranquility than most thought, at least in Shalum and the surrounding countries. "Yes, yes, things are pretty bad...and our only getting worse it seems. The stock market took a bit hit, oil and gas prices are rising, and our soldiers are getting killed every day" he replied with a deep sigh.

At the mention of Anna being related to him, he shook his head side-to-side. "It's not ignorant at all to think that, considering the crowd I'm traveling with at the moment" he replied; managing to chuckle. "But to answer your question, no, I'm not related to her. All three of her brothers are present though" he replied, pointing at the two groups of Shalumite princes in the large room. "My royal title was granted to me actually. When I was chosen by the Council of Dominae to become the head of the exchequer, the Imperator decided to knight me for my service. Earned not born" he replied with a shrug.

He realized that he had said a bit more than he had needed to, so he decided to change the subject just a tad. "So, what do you do, Freya?" he asked in turn.

William and Camilla

The Shalumite prince turned ambassador blinked in surprise as Camilla all but blind sided him, offering her condolences on the whole matter regarding his sister. He blinked in surprise, trying to bury the sadness she had exhumed. Dammit...Anna was at the hands of criminals, slavers most likely. The same Annabelle whom he had watched over throughout secondary school, keeping the boys (and girls at times) away with impunity whenever they tried to make moves that she didn't want to reciprocate; acting as any good big brother would. The same Anna who he had helped beat up John's bullies with. Dammit, she was gone, and he really didn't know if they'd ever get her back. And even if they did, chances were that she wouldn't be the same.

"Thank you for the dance, ma'am," William replied weakly as he looked at Stephanie, bowing a bit in reply to her curtsy. As he watched the Gavinian woman walk away, he sighed sadly, the emotion clear in his voice.

He turned to face Camilla and gave her a sad, but reassuring smile. As he looked down at her, he felt an overwhelming to simply step forward and wrap his arms around her petite frame. He felt as if that would make him feel better, if only for a moment. He didn't have a rock, something that would keep him in place when all went awry, so she was the closest thing he had in a sense. But alas, he knew better than to do as his mind and body wanted, though for a brief second he moved to step forward without thinking. He knew the repercussions that would happen if he did, and he didn't want either of them to face them. Man..it was hard doing the right (as society viewed it anyway) thing.

"It's...quite alright, Camilla. You did nothing wrong. Thank you though, it means a lot" he smiled sadly; looking down into the Edomite girl's eyes. He wasn't going to cry, he wouldn't let himself. "Every prayer helps. As it is now, we have some of our best people looking for her" he replied. He didn't want to lie and say that they would find her, or that she would be alright, he couldn't do just do that.

As he looked down at her, he couldn't help but notice her beauty. God...he had never seen her more beautiful than she was at the moment. Her dress and makeup complemented her perfectly. He was quite sure that his eyes had widened as he looked at her in a new light. What did he do now? Ask her dance? Was that even appropriate at the moment, especially after how their last dance had gone? It was clear in his brown eyes that he was torn for more reason than one. Finally he spoke after a few silent moments. "It...appears that my partner has moved on to a new companion. Would you like to dance, Camilla?" he asked suddenly feeling meek.

John smiled back as Rebekka slowed her speech to a pace that he could keep up with a bit better. Now, he could understand what those around him were saying, at least more clearly. His eyes widened in surprise as she, oh so gently, took his own her with her own. Christo! Her hands were warm, or maybe his were just cold. He offered no resistance (though he made a noise of surprise) as she pulled him close. He took a deep breath. She smelled pretty good, he had to admit. He couldn't bring himself to look away, his brown eyes fixated on her own eyes.

"Ich ... ähm" he faltered for a moment due to surprise. "Warum ja, ja, ich bin. Möchten Sie mit mir tanzen, Rebekka?" he asked slightly nervous due to the new situation at hand.

("I...um. Why yes, yes I am. Would you like to dance with me, Rebekka?"

He glanced over and saw Princess Rebecca of Ghant, which caused him to smile a bit, before coughing as he realized that the Vyrsarians around him probably didn't know her. "Umm, das ist meine Cousine Rebecca Gentry von Ghant" he said in German. He then switched to English for Rebecca's benefit. "Hey Rebecca. This is Madaleine, Mathias, Rebekka, and...Alena from the Vyrsarian delegation. It's nice to see you, but I was actually about to go dance" he told his cousin in English.

("Umm, this is my first cousin Rebecca Gentry of Ghant")

He then turned his head back to look at Rebekka, who was eye level with him. He was still holding her hand. "Das ist , natürlich, wenn Ihr bereit, mit mir zu tanzen" he smiled a bit more; offering his arm to her as if to escort.

("That is, of course, if your willing to dance with me"

Major Jean-Paul Valliancourt

Once he had broken off from his original group, Major Valliancourt had drifted around the ballroom; doing what he did (or so he thought) best, work his charm. At an early age, he had been introduced to these parties, and they had become something of a second nature to him at this point. Unlike some, he wasn't uncomfortable here, he felt at home if anything. Not to mention...wine was quite good at keeping him loose. This was what, his second glass? Normally, he drunk the sweet red liquid, as it didn't seem as intoxicating to him. He had developed a good tolerance for the liquid among others, and could hold it pretty well. That didn't mean that he didn't drink others as well, wine was just his preferred drink of choice.

As he passed by, his keen green eyes fixated on two women as he approached their general area slowly. The prettier of the two (Holly) looked uncomfortable, he could tell from where he stood, as the other got close; almost looking as if she was taking a whiff of the girl. What was she, the big bad wolf looking for a 'meal' of some kind. The major sighed and began to move their way, he'd at least say hello and bail the poor girl out. She was quite an attractive woman, and look exotic to him, so much so that he couldn't place her country of origin like he could some others in the crowd.

"Good evening ladies" he smiled warmly as he entered, glass of wine in hand. The medals on his chest jingled and caught the light as he walked. "I'm making my rounds, and I don't believe we have met. Major Jean-Paul of the Shalumite Marine Corp, and of the Shalumite noble houses, at your service" he nodded once he was at a speaking distance. He looked between the two, watching them with intent curiously. Hopefully that would help the pretty girl, if only a bit.
Last edited by Shalum on Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Conscription is the vitality of a nation, the purification of its morality, and the real foundations of all its habits.

It is better to be a warrior in a garden then to be a gardener in a war.

Free Garza
Chargé d'Affaires

The Garzans...

Postby Free Garza » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:46 pm

Carlita Ruiz

"Bon soir, Monsieur Major. Or as we say in my country, buenas noches. Pleased to make your acquaintance. This is Holly Lemay and I am Carlita Ruiz. She's from Adiron and I'm from Free Garza. Minister of Education there, actually. Holly has started directing films, or was that TV? She was an actress before. Then again, I was in a different sort of cinema before myself....the adult kind," Carlita turned on her best charm for the major.

She also lightly pecked him on the mouth with her lips, just feeling that urge.

"If you want more of that, either of you...you don't have far to look for it," Carlita did a mock curtsy and walked to the john, suddenly feeling a little nauseous.
Last edited by Free Garza on Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viva La Garza!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates