NATION

PASSWORD

The Grand Ball (IC: Please Sign up in OOC thread first)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Free Garza
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

The Garzans...

Postby Free Garza » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:00 pm

His Most Catholic Majesty, Diego IV, by the Grace of God, King of Free Garza, was only too eager to congratulate the bridegroom on his excellent choice of a bride, while he sent his younger sister Maria to find Martin at last. He knew what was going on there.

"Your Highness, or should I say, Your Majesty, is a very lucky man, you know," he told Michael, now King of New Edom.

Princess Rosa, for her part, chose to seek out a dance with Prince Enoch.

"Would you find it improper for me to ask you for a dance, senor Prince?"

Maria, meanwhile, sneaked up behind Martin and put her hands over his eyes.

"Guess who it is?" she asked him, snickering.

As for Isabel and Carlita, both felt self-conscious, but the former went ahead and approached Hesperinus, just out of pure curiosity. The latter chose to seek out Holly Lemay, who seemed more interesting to her.

"Hello there. Carlita Ruiz. Who might you be?" she offered a simple handshake.

Isabel, for her part, chose to be very cute about things, seeking out a soup and asking him, "Do you know that it is a custom in my country to sometimes share food with people one has never met, in order to get to know that person better?"

The Ambassador, meanwhile, presented himself to Dathan, though noting the man's distance from his legal wife. What was the story there? He wouldn't pry, but he would certainly consider what all that could mean to his own opportunities....did Dathan have any interest in men? If so, of course, he would have to be discreet, much like Montalbano, and the Ambassador wouldn't overplay his hand. Instead, he would seek signals, if there were any, of such types of attraction.

"So, Undersecretary Dathan, you seem to be a man of class, style, and taste. What are your thoughts on the Queen's own sense of fashion and style? Does she seem as refined as one would tend to assume?" Montalbano felt out for any signs of good taste in Levi, anything that might suggest that inclination.
Last edited by Free Garza on Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Viva La Garza!

Oenotria (Ancient)
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Oenotria (Ancient) » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:14 pm

Alexander Taskasaplidis

Bored out of his mind, the foreign minister headed for the drinks table. With a glass of champagne in his right hand, Taskasaplidis - a bald man with a moustache and sharp facial features - noticed Lemay. "Excuse me. Allow me to introduce myself; I am Alexander Taskasaplidis, foreign minister of the Kingdom of Oenotria. I greatly appreciated your documentary; I do not think it would be an exaggeration, if I said that Testing the Waters taught me more about this country than most of the official documents I have read about it."

"Always doubting the hard work of the government. You never change." Christine said, smiling. "When you are surrounded by incompetent crooks, it is always a good thing, to have doubts about the quality of their work. Where is the Admiral, was not he dancing with you?" replied the straight-laced minister. "He has been feeling unwell." "Miss Lemay" said Taskasaplidis, "here is another admirer of your work, Queen Christina of Oenotria."

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:23 pm

Mara, Martin and Maximillian

"Surely, brother in law," said Mara, smiling at Martin. "This is your first time here, right? I hope you're enjoying yourself. I know it's a bit casual by many royal standards but I thought it fitting. Maria looks pretty today…How are things going there?"

Martin fell into dancing with Mara with ease, admiring her dancing abilities as they went along. “Correct, and so far so good. I definitely don’t mind casual.” Martin smiled. “Indeed she does, thank you…but I should mention that you look pretty as well. It’s hard to believe that we are in-laws now, I mean everything moved so fast. Don’t worry though, it should be fun. As far as Maria, well, she is a lot of fun, and a very…passionate woman. Kind of hard to believe how much she has changed from back in the day.” Martin leaned in close. “Also if I marry her, that would make me and Perrin brothers-in-law!”

As Mara and Martin danced and spoke, the King of Gavinium approached. "Your Majesty, I extend my warm congratulations on your new marriage to this fine fellow here. And you, sir, on marrying this lovely woman," he informed them.

Martin gave a playful laugh, as Mara explained. "Oh, I'm so sorry, but this is Crown Prince Martin of Dakmoor, not Michael! Michael's dancing with another lady over there, but I'm sure he'd love to hear it from you himself. And that's so kind of you, thank you so much. I hope you'll have a chance to spend some time with Desiree, she seems to get a little homesick sometimes, she's dancing over there, with Enoch. Gosh, this is the first time so many of you have been here in a couple of years now-doesn't time just fly past us?"

Martin and Michael often got confused with each other, as they did look alike, although those who knew the family often said that Michael looked more like their father while Martin looked more like their mother, as did Sophia. “Indeed, your majesty, the Queen here married my younger brother, not me! I don’t think a union between Dakmoor and New Edom was…on anyone’s wish list.” Martin chuckled.

That was when the hands appeared over his eyes. "Guess who it is?" A female voice said.

"The lovely Princess Maria of Garza?" Half a question and half a statement. Martin turned his head just a bit, and identified her. "My brother wants to share a dance with you, my love."

Nathan, Sophia and Natalie

Nathan and Sophia were practicing the sideways dance, on account of Sophia’s very swollen belly. She was wearing a big fluffy white ballroom dress, with her back and shoulders exposed…a dress that was all the rage in Ghant of late. Her hair was dangling loosely behind her, and she seemed very much irritated.

“Nathan…seriously. Did you have to pick that song?” She shot her husband a piercing gaze as they danced.

Nathan shrugged. “I thought it would be funny.”

“…And how do you figure it would have been funny?”

“…Uh…because it is true. You know much I hate dancing around the elephant in the room. And besides, it’s not like anyone would notice it anyway.”

“…My father did.” Sophia responded, grimly.

“Your father notices everything. He finds fault in everything too…it wouldn’t surprise me if he has scrutinized everything down to how I take a shit.”

Sophia laughed a little and shook her head, as Natalie of Gavinium came upon them.

"Your Majesty, I do not recall ever getting a dance from you last time around," she curtsied to him in an affable tone of voice.

Nathan nodded. “Certainly.” Then he turned to his wife. “Your dad is over there…his face as red as a tomato. You should dance with him before he blows a gasket.”

Sophia did a courtesy and approached her father for a dance. As she approached him, she noticed that Tamburo was there talking to him, and also addressed Sophia.

"Your Majesty, Lord Malibar, I'd like to offer my congratulations to you and your families. Have you found yourself a glass of champagne yet? Oh, sorry, Your Majesty, I know you're still not drinking. It can't be long now, can it?"

Malibar inclined his head. “Thank you, consul. A truly great day for House Dakmaran, and for Ghant.”

Sophia responded to Tamburo’s question in turn. “Thanksgiving is when it is due. Although, I am growing so large, that I have to suspect more than one! After all, my mother was a twin…my Uncle Matthias is here somewhere…”

Lords in the Corner

Many of the Ghantish Lords present were either dancing or mingling in their own little pocket…and within the deeper part of that pocket were the Princes Albert and Stephen, sons of the late Emperor Albert and uncles of Emperor Nathan IV.

“Hey Albert…remember that time when we were kids, and you shoved a firecracker up that cat’s ass?” Prince Stephen asked.

Albert, brooding in a corner with some punch, nodded his head. “Then afterwards we made Matthew eat it.” Albert glanced around the room. “I never did like cats. They are tolerable when they are dead or on the grill.”

Stephen laughed. “You don’t like anything, brother. Isn’t that why you are in the corner?”

“Last I checked, you were in the corner too, Stephen.”

Stephen shrugged. “Only because I wouldn’t leave my brother hanging.”

“…How thoughtful of you.” Albert shot glance at Raymond Zuria. “I fucking hate that man.”

Stephen looked at the fat old man sitting down and telling jokes to some other lords of an older age. Raymond was in his seventies, with beady blue eyes and wispy white hair on top of his head. He wore loose fitting pants and a tunic.

Stephen studied the man for a moment. “It is said that Nathan takes after him.”

“Of course he does.” Albert snapped back. “The only thing separating Nathan from his grandfather is that whore mother of his…wherever the hell she is right now. Probably trying to climb on some Emperor or King’s dick.” Albert laughed.

Stephen shook his head. “Caroline Zuria isn’t that bad…”

Maria and Michael

Michael was greeted by King Diego of Garza, who addressed him warmly. "Your Highness, or should I say, Your Majesty, is a very lucky man, you know."

"Thank you your majesty." Michael responded with a smile. "So is Martin, by the way it would seem..."

Michael came upon Martin’s…lover, and offered her his hand to dance. Sure enough, Michael found Maria playing with Martin while he was dancing with Mara. She was very pretty, as Michael remembered her in their younger years...and while a bit on the eccentric side like her grandmother Bessandra, she was supposedly a very passionate woman, if what Martin told him was true. Lucky bastard.

“Might I have this dance with the lovely Princess Maria of Garza?” Michael asked Maria as he extended his arm to her, with a smile.

The Pack

Arietta was wearing a fiery red dress with an open back and with nothing covering her shoulders. The curves of her body stood out from the relatively tight dress, and her red hair was long and flowing. She had gone through some trouble to scoop up the Ghantish girls in her age group that might be interested in…swarming the floor.

There was Arietta, her half-sisters Alexia and Alexandra, their cousin Princess Rebecca, Alazne Dain, Aita Loi, Sara Sastagai, Darla Dyn, Serala Salazar, Elsa Egurrahari, Lilliana Belmore, Anara Odolaren, Ella Maedros, Bethany Broga, Jane Mutu, Ozora Ordos, Usoa Uru…and the eighteen year old albino Princess of Thule by the name of Zurine. A pretty girl, of medium height and shapely in a white dress, but also very shy and on the sad side. Her birth killed her mother, and she had mismatched eyes- one red and one violet.

In any case, the girls were laughing, having fun and doing little dances when permissible. They all seemed to be wearing different colored dresses, and to Arietta it gave off the impression of a rainbow or a tropical bird.

Naturally, the pack, as Arietta thought of it, was getting picked at by the noble boys. Jon Loi, Dugu Sastagai, Alaric Dain, Daryl Dyn and Sendoa of Thule, to name a few. Naturally, their first target was Alazne Dain, and their last was…Zurine of Thule.

Bessandra

“Where are my babies?” Bessandra said softly as she walked around the ballroom. She was wearing a cream colored dress, and her still dark hair was shoulder length and hanging loosely around her head. Even at 75, she thought she looked decent…for a woman her age. Not as much as Isabella Orinbere, but good enough.

Bessie, as she was often called, couldn’t find her “babies”…her daughter Isabella, and her grandchildren Diego, King of Garza and the Princesses Maria, Rosa and Blanca.

She did spot Blanca’s husband though…President-General Perrin Pahath-Moab of New Edom. Bessie thought he looked so cute in his outfit! Bessie had to approach him, and inquire about her babies…

Once Bessie was close enough, that was when she broke out in a smile, with her brown eyes twinkling. “Perrin, my boy. Oh my gosh just look at you…you are so handsome!” Bessie acknowledged the other’s in the company, before she moved to pinch his cheeks…
Last edited by Ghant on Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:58 pm

Ghant wrote:Mara, Martin and Maximillian

"Surely, brother in law," said Mara, smiling at Martin. "This is your first time here, right? I hope you're enjoying yourself. I know it's a bit casual by many royal standards but I thought it fitting. Maria looks pretty today…How are things going there?"

Martin fell into dancing with Mara with ease, admiring her dancing abilities as they went along. “Correct, and so far so good. I definitely don’t mind casual.” Martin smiled. “Indeed she does, thank you…but I should mention that you look pretty as well. It’s hard to believe that we are in-laws now, I mean everything moved so fast. Don’t worry though, it should be fun. As far as Maria, well, she is a lot of fun, and a very…passionate woman. Kind of hard to believe how much she has changed from back in the day.” Martin leaned in close. “Also if I marry her, that would make me and Perrin brothers-in-law!”

As Mara and Martin danced and spoke, the King of Gavinium approached. "Your Majesty, I extend my warm congratulations on your new marriage to this fine fellow here. And you, sir, on marrying this lovely woman," he informed them.

Martin gave a playful laugh, as Mara explained. "Oh, I'm so sorry, but this is Crown Prince Martin of Dakmoor, not Michael! Michael's dancing with another lady over there, but I'm sure he'd love to hear it from you himself. And that's so kind of you, thank you so much. I hope you'll have a chance to spend some time with Desiree, she seems to get a little homesick sometimes, she's dancing over there, with Enoch. Gosh, this is the first time so many of you have been here in a couple of years now-doesn't time just fly past us?"

Martin and Michael often got confused with each other, as they did look alike, although those who knew the family often said that Michael looked more like their father while Martin looked more like their mother, as did Sophia. “Indeed, your majesty, the Queen here married my younger brother, not me! I don’t think a union between Dakmoor and New Edom was…on anyone’s wish list.” Martin chuckled.

"Not mine," said Mara. "Why aren't more people dancing? I mean what the fuck? It's a ball, right, or did I screw up the invitations? Maybe they'll dance more when the music gets fun, you'd think we had all the talk we wanted during the dinner and reception..." she smiled as she said this but it was kind of irritating her. To Mara, dancing and having a good time were fun, standing around jawing was not. But there were some people--some foreign grandees in splendid uniforms wandering around looking jaded and bored, Noviterans in tuxes looking to get hammered no doubt, a lone Nalayan looking cool and distant as they always did. Well, hell with them all, a girl only got married like this once in a while...

Bessandra
“Where are my babies?” Bessandra said softly as she walked around the ballroom. She was wearing a cream colored dress, and her still dark hair was shoulder length and hanging loosely around her head. Even at 75, she thought she looked decent…for a woman her age. Not as much as Isabella Orinbere, but good enough.

Bessie, as she was often called, couldn’t find her “babies”…her daughter Isabella, and her grandchildren Diego, King of Garza and the Princesses Maria, Rosa and Blanca.

She did spot Blanca’s husband though…President-General Perrin Pahath-Moab of New Edom. Bessie thought he looked so cute in his outfit! Bessie had to approach him, and inquire about her babies…

Once Bessie was close enough, that was when she broke out in a smile, with her brown eyes twinkling. “Perrin, my boy. Oh my gosh just look at you…you are so handsome!” Bessie acknowledged the other’s in the company, before she moved to pinch his cheeks…

...and came up right when he was talking to Iralia. General Sidney Harcourt stood nearby.

"Second. It is the anniversary of the failed coup against her Majesty last year. As this was a primarily Ultranationalist-backed attempt to overthrow the crown, she deemed it appropriate to send me -- the new party leader. I am here to assure you that the Ultranationalists of today are not those of the passed. Damien's exile and imprisonment have served as an example to other extremists in the Kingdom."

"Excuse me, Your Excellency," said Harcourt, managing to warn Perrin just in time as the woman approached, in his dry rough voice. "The Dowager Lady Bessandra is here."

Perrin stepped neatly away, his eyes coolly taking her in thoughtfully even as he gave a graceful bow. Rover subtly moved between them, his sturdy strength holding her at bay. "Ah yes, such a pleasure. I don't know if you have had the pleasure of meeting General Sidney Harcourt, my Minister of Police, and Miss Iralia Marik, leader of the Loyal Opposition and of the Ultranationalist Party of Cacerta, representing Queen Anelyn I? We were just discussing the failed coup d'etat by Lord Damien last year--which has both cemented Queen Anelyn's enormous popularity, the general patriotism of the nation and our two nations' alliance. Unfortunately Queen Anelyn could not be here, religious duties."
Last edited by New Edom on Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:13 am

Undersecretary Dathan

Levi Dathan could see how delighted his wife Dinah was to be at these proceedings. He was aware as few others present were of the need to stagger departures of members of government, who wanted to be here for appearance's sake but in fact wanted to skedaddle out of here immediately to deal with the crisis. What were the Chiefs of the Military Staff doing? What were his subordinates doing? There was a regional crisis going on. He didn't know how the President and Harcourt could be so calm about it, but you'd think that all they cared about was this damned wedding.

But if he was honest, he would have had to admit to himself that the President had been right when he had said "I don't think sitting around holding Ashdod and Shalmaneser's hands will help them do their jobs. We are right in the capital, we will be notified if anything requires an immediate decision." It was really more that he hated being with Dinah; she was so thrilled at being here, so delighted that they were there as a couple, calling his attention to things, referring to things she knew about her husband. He wanted to strangle her with her own string of pearls.

"So, Undersecretary Dathan, you seem to be a man of class, style, and taste. What are your thoughts on the Queen's own sense of fashion and style? Does she seem as refined as one would tend to assume?" Montalbano felt out for any signs of good taste in Levi, anything that might suggest that inclination.

"Mr. Ambassador, how are you?" said Levi. "I think that the Queen's tastes are impeccable, I suppose. Not that I'm in any way an expert on such matters. My wife is though! Dinah, this gentleman is interested in the decor and dress of the wedding."

"Oh yes, I love that sort of thing!" gushed Dinah. "You know, the Queen has her own dressmakers and she had a sense of elegant simplicity, as was practiced at Adah the Liberator's wedding, you know, because the country had been stricken by war, so as you see there is a sense of history to the queen's demonstration of compassion which is evident in her choices for decor. And did you notice the beautiful classical lines on her Cornellian turn of the century palla?"

"Good heavens, excuse me, I think I see the Singletons adrift, we must rescue our Adiran friends from blundering too close to the Cardinal, I'm sorry, please look after my wife till I return!" said Levi before briskly walking away.

"I don't know if you remember me," he said to Cary Singleton, "But I'm Levi Dathan, Undersecretary. My God, is this your wife? My dear lady, your beautiful is painful to behold, forgive my boorish compliment. I beg you to stop me if I start talking shop but it's so tempting, our President is an island of calm, as is Mr. De Groot. I cannot believe how readily the media urges us to panic, can you?"

General Hesperinus

The simian faced hirsute General Zadok Hesperinus had made sure that his wife had a nice place in the gallery where the eight months' pregnant Olympia could rest. She looked lovely with her raven hair, delicate angelic features and fair olive skin highlighted by a soft green and cherry gown that she felt made her feel like she was in a tent but which others assured her was beautiful. "And how is my little doll?" he said solicitously. "Doing well?"

"I'm doing well, thank you my husband, but I would like something cool to drink I think," she said meekly, batting her eyes up at him.

"Of course." Zadok Hesperinus beckoned to a naked serving girl decorated to resemble butterflies flying in a wood and said, "Fizzy water with lemon, crushed ice." The girl bowed and withdrew. Then someone else was approaching him.
Isabel, for her part, chose to be very cute about things, seeking out a soup and asking him, "Do you know that it is a custom in my country to sometimes share food with people one has never met, in order to get to know that person better?"

"What country's that?" Hesperinus asked her bluntly. "And to whom might I have the honour of speaking?"
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

New Othman
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 11, 2005
Ex-Nation

Enter the Othmanis

Postby New Othman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:32 am

Premier Ursula Weiler-Kotuk tried to put out of her mind the envy that she felt for Queen Mara, that she had found love so young and would hopefully never lose it. Ursula herself was a widow more than a year and very lonely, but now committed to her late husband's memory, or so she told herself. Even Mormonism was wearing thin, as it didn't promise much of an afterlife beyond escape from spirit prison for Fazil. The more involved she became, the less she trusted it. It sounded more and more like she had fallen for some kind of shell game and that was haunting and eating at her, yet she didn't let on to that, as she introduced herself to High Queen Tara Silven.

"Glad to meet at last. Ursula Weiler-Kotuk, Premier of New Othman, Your Majesty," she introduced herself to her Ossorian friend.

Basar, for his part, looked for Redstone. He had something to discuss, yes sadly shop talk, with the Adirans, and better discussed now than later.

Trade Minister Adnek and his wife Mira chose that moment to seek out the Deadorans. Jenny T, for example. That Adnek was not intimidated by the Thralls' attempt to be terrifying was no doubt due to having faced worse in his time, but in any case, he had some business in mind.

"Imperial Majesty, I am Trade Minister Recep Adnek of New Othman and this is my wife, Secretary to the Council Mira Adnek. Perhaps you wouldn't mind a little shop talk, would you?" he smiled, not about to be chilled despite her frosty demeanor.

The Othmani Ambassador, meanwhile, hunted out the Nalayan and introduced himself.

"I am Ambassador from New Othman. Honor to meet you. Do you dance?" he smiled as he spoke with a very thick accent, of course, and sometimes poor use of articles.
Last edited by New Othman on Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is high time for ballots, and not bullets. For bread and butter, not tanks treading on foreign streets. For reform, for schools, for more police on the beat, instead of building up a massive war machine used only to bully our neighbors. The only armed forces that the new New Othman needs are those which defend the nation itself from aggression. We don't need the trillions that we used to spend for that." - Udan Varcar

"Radical feminism in the west is less about womens liberation (and that's fair - women in the west have been largely liberated after all), and more about authoritarian thought policing." - Hirota

"The function of our social services is to discourage sedition." - Premier Bayazid Izmirek, 2005

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:41 am

Mara, Martin, Maria, Michael and Maximillian

"Not mine," said Mara. "Why aren't more people dancing? I mean what the fuck? It's a ball, right, or did I screw up the invitations? Maybe they'll dance more when the music gets fun, you'd think we had all the talk we wanted during the dinner and reception..."

“Mine neither.” Martin laughed. “To be fair, Mara, it looks like the young Ghantish nobles are out dancing in full force…see them all?” Martin gestured towards the pack of noble ladies and the noblemen vying for a dance with them, like birds encompassing a swarm of locusts. “Looks like Arietta is the ringleader…”

Bessandra, Perrin, Iralia and Harcourt

When Perrin saw Bessie approaching, Perrin stepped away. That blasted dog of his stepped between them, and then he spoke. "Ah yes, such a pleasure. I don't know if you have had the pleasure of meeting General Sidney Harcourt, my Minister of Police, and Miss Iralia Marik, leader of the Loyal Opposition and of the Ultranationalist Party of Cacerta, representing Queen Anelyn I? We were just discussing the failed coup d'etat by Lord Damien last year--which has both cemented Queen Anelyn's enormous popularity, the general patriotism of the nation and our two nations' alliance. Unfortunately Queen Anelyn could not be here, religious duties."

“General Harcourt and Miss Marik, such a pleasure to meet you. I might be the pleasure of being Princess Imperial Bessandra of Ghant and Queen Dowager of Garza." Bessie did a graceful curtsy before continuing. "Another coup d’etat? Good lord…so many of those all over! Patriotism…such a fickle bitch, my father used to tell me…and religious duties? Bah!” Bessie waved a hand before putting her hands on her sides, and then she continued to speak, with a slight frown. “I was wanting to give my grandson-in-law that I seldom get to see an embrace, one ever so delicate and polite. I am such an old lady, and such a kind gesture with family means so much to me…but he has that dog of his…Roamer…in the way!” Bessie looked at Perrin again with a raised eyebrow.
Last edited by Ghant on Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

Ossoria
Envoy

Founded: Sep 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossoria » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:50 am

Tara Silven, the High Queen of Ossoria, stood at the bar, idly nursing a glass of Ossorian whiskey and passing the time by watching the various personages walk by in a writhing mass of colors and styles that would have been almost comic in any other setting. For her part, Tara was dressed, as was typical for her, in a simple dark-green one-piece sleeveless dress which prominently displayed the armband tattoo which lay across her upper right arm: an indigo-hued ring of interlaced antlers, a saffron sash draped across her left shoulder and a thin leather belt. She only wore three pieces of jewelry: a solid ring bracelet, a brooch on her left shoulder which held the sash in place and a simple circlet set atop her red hair, all three of which were made of platinum, the metal traditionally reserved for royalty in Ossorian culture.

As always, she was accompanied by Sir Cathar Reilly, her Knight Champion and personal bodyguard, who stood at her shoulder dressed in his military dress uniform, complete with sword at his hip, though without the beret which would have usually covered his close-cut black hair. As if to contrast with the obvious guard dog was the second member of her party, Dame Esteri Rinne, who was dressed far more reservedly in a formal business suit and her ash-blond hair cut just below her jawline. To the casual observer, the Thunde woman would appear to be merely an aide, but in reality she was a member of the Bloodsworn, Tara's elite personal guards. She stood slightly back from Tara and Reilly, her cool grey eyes scanning the room for threats while his hazel interrogated those who approached his charge. Neither guardian was taking many chances, what with certain members of certain families in the room.
The High Kingdom of Ossoria
High Queen Tara Silven

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:54 am

"The things I do for my sister."

Allison Amber Zurithalissaran, Chancellor Princess of Ganosia-Veceria, Mother of the Hobbesian Revolution, had never been all that fond of these gatherings.

She had oftentimes preferred the quiet solitude of a good wine and a good classic, all the while Ksenya regaled her with how her daughter was growing up. She had never been much of a people person, except in times of grave necessity. But here she was at some damned ball. She'd rather be elsewhere, but Ksenya insisted she attend tonight, to help Quinn patch things up with the Edomites and to get to know the other nations of the region better. Ksenya insisted that Allison behave herself too.

She did so even then, standing beside her boss, armed with a glass of wine and watching the couples dancing together to the sound of such a delightful symphony. Ksenya had always been the sort of girl impressed by such fairytale like settings that Allison sometimes found her on the couch with Quinn, crying over some heartwrenching (stomach inducing, Allison thought) scene in one of their soap operas. Such settings were in abundance in those damned programs, thought Allison. She'd know this from personal experience, having sometimes sat down to watch some with Ksenya, although that usually ended up in Ksenya trying to explain that not everything could be reduced to "people are idiots," as Allison often proclaimed.

Quinn also insisted that Allison behave herself at the ball. After all, Ksenya was just her secretary, but Quinn was the sovereign of the entire country. Sisterhood was one thing, but the relationship between subject and liege lady another entirely. Allison could remember stumbling upon Quinn trying out ball dresses; upon noticing Allison, Quinn's face turned all rigid; you could tell that she was instantaneously suspicious of her sister:

"I don't want you embarassing me at the ball."

"That depends on our hosts."

"Knock it off. It's not like they're gonna ask for us to go naked."

"I don't think Ksenya could handle that."

"I don't think she could handle you embarassing her. She looks up to you, you know."

"Aren't you afraid of that?"

Quinn giggled. "We all are, quite frankly. Don't they say the meek ones are the first to snap?"

"I want you to know that I'm not going to this little ball to fuck around. I have business to attend to. I also have to keep you happy."

"Yes, like a good subject."

"I put you on the throne, as you'll recall."

"Thinking of pulling me off it, sister?"

"I'll be needing your ass on that throne just a little longer, actually. My plans won't work without you."

"Look at what I've done with this country. I've beautified her. Yet she's still missing something. She's missing her playmates."

"This is a country, not a fashion model."

"But it's the same thing, yes? The country must perform to the best of its abilities. It must look a certain part. As it walks down the catwalk, so to speak, with the rest of the nations, it must look the best it can be. It can't go out there in rags. It has to have the best clothes. So it is with models. We all have to look our part, Allison, or we are nothing."

"The things I do for my sister." Allison grumbled again. She intended to make Quinn pay her back for this back home. In Ganosia, where all the ills of the world, though they may batter against her walls, had never found themselves present. No one would tarnish her life's work, damn it.

"Allison, you mustn't worry so much," Ksenya told her. "It'll be fine. Just have fun. Perhaps you'll find a special someone like Ray did."

Allison sneered at the giggling Ksenya; she always does this to me, always trying to tease me. "Don't tell me Quinn put you up to something."

"No, no, she gave up on that a long time ago. I just think you ought to open up a little more, that's all."

"If by open up, you mean open up a bit more wine..."

"I mean, your heart, Allison. You have one in there. I know you do. If not for a lover, at least for a new friend."

"Oh, really?" Allison smirked.

"Yep. Consider it personal experience." winked Ksenya.

----------

"How is the Sanctuary doing, Aunt Quinn?"

Raymond FitzRaymond sat at one of the tables with the Empress of Ganosia-Veceria, making smalltalk while he surveyed the ballroom for Rosa. He wondered if she had even arrived yet. He wanted to see how she was doing and to give her the hopes and best wishes of his family and friends.

"The Oudourakudo? It's doing well. Governor Pitkanen said he would've come tonight had he not had to deal with pressing matters there." Quinn said. "It just goes to show that he really cares about the Oudourakudo and its inhabitants. You know, I read that the Oudourakudo christened its new capital. Quinnstantinople. They named it after me. I was so touched by their affection for me that I personally sent them my thanks. One of these days, I ought to visit the Oudourakudo and truly, personally, welcome its inhabitants to our family. Because that's what our empire is, Raymond. We're a family of peoples living and working together for the common good; a common cause. To ensure a future for our children and to beautify the world. That's one of the reasons we started the Sanctuary, to give the world a chance to see how beautiful coming together can be. I grew tired of the constant stream of pompous genocidal bullshit from the homophobes and other cretins. If they all just sent their undesirables to the Sanctuary....."

Raymond nodded his head. "Sounds legit. Speaking of family, I'm thinking of starting one with Rosa sometime soon. We've been talking about it a lot."

"I know you'll make a good dad." Quinn smiled. "I haven't had the luxury of meeting Rosa yet, though. Perhaps we'll rectify that tonight."

"Oh, I should hope so. I know you'd love her. She's great; she's smart, she's kind, she's beautiful. She doesn't mind I'm a heathen either." Raymond laughed. "I want her to meet Aunt Allison too. Even Ksenya, I know how much she's been wanting to see her."

"Ksenya loves your stories. She's always been quite eager to travel to new places. Bring her to Garza sometime, let her see the sights."

"It's possible. I'll see what I can do about that." Raymond said, noticing her in the distance; she was laughing it up with Allison.

With Allison.

"Thank goodness for that secretary of hers. I hope Ksenya keeps her from embarassing me tonight. She's my sister. I get that. But I won't tolerate insubordination. She's still a subject of mine. She has to know her role; it'd be cool if she could shut that mouth of hers sometimes too."

"Aunt Allison has her moments." Raymond said.

"Yeah. She does. That's what I'm afraid of."
Last edited by Ganos Lao on Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

This nation is controlled by the player who was once Neo-Ixania on the Jolt Forums! It is also undergoing reconstruction.

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:04 am

Henry

One of the last Ghantish guests to arrive at the ball was Prince Henry of Ghant. He had an excuse…on account of his age. He was 108 years old, and would be 109 in February. He was the oldest person in Ghant, as it happened.

Old habits had a tendency to die hard in Ghant…and those of Henry were no exception. He entered the ballroom wearing a flowing black, green and blue robe, the type of court dress that hadn't been mainstream in Ghant for almost 100 years. His skin was pale and clung to his bones, and his hair was very wispy and white. His eyes were like two small blue beads, the color of the sea. Like his mother’s.

He had been in exceptional health for quite a long time, but it was waning. He used to be tall and dignified, but now he was small and shriveled, hunched over and looking like a bag of bones. He had trouble walking now, where he used to be able to ride a bike and jog. Now he hobbled around with a cane, struggling with every step.

Henry would be dead soon…everyone knew that. Everyone he knew and cared about in his life was dead…some sooner than he would have liked. His wife, his children, many of his grandchildren…what was there left for him to do with his life, aside from rotting away at his country ranch in Onia? He wanted to make an appearance, and let the world know that he was still alive…and somewhat well.

When he entered the ballroom, his herald made the announcement, loud and booming. “Now enters Prince Henry of Ghant, son of Emperor Nathan III of Ghant and Empress Caitria Silven, Princess of Ossoria.”

All the Ghantar in the room stopped what they were doing and turned to face him as he walked his way in with his cane, assisted by his herald. After a few moments, there was a round of applause, and those who were seated stood. Henry waved with a gummy smile, and after a few moments it was business as usual.

Henry knew who he was looking for…and he saw her right away, despite his tired eyes. Tara Silven. He approached the High Queen, inching slowly with the help of his cane. When he got close enough, he inclined his head and then he meekly spoke. “…Good evening, Milady. Such a pleasure to see you here tonight.” Henry lifted his head to meet her eyes with his own…eyes like his mother’s.
Last edited by Ghant on Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:25 am

DeGroot

"So, who do you need to shake hands with?" Lily asked her husband, walking with him into the ballroom.

"Oh, the usual," he replied. That meant politicians and royals and VIPs from the host countries were a priority, but he couldn't just run around the room like he was on a campaign. He had to take it slow, and frankly that suited him just fine. It looked like many were preoccupied already, Pahath-Moab, the Queen, the King Consort, the Emperor, the Empress, the PM all busy.

Apparently Lily had been looking for the same thing. "You see anything you can scratch off of your to-do list right this second?"

Appraising the crowd again with a polite wave to someone, DeGroot replied "No, not particularly."

"Are you still a mediocre dancer?" she asked impishly.

"Mediocre enough..." DeGroot replied with a smirk. They'd leave the drinks and politicking until later. Instead, they walked out onto the dance floor her arms around his shoulder, his hand on her waist, and danced through the song...almost like a normal couple, not the President and the First Lady. Not all their steps were perfect, and DeGroot was a little bit stiff, but it was natural to them. Just as they started, DeGroot said "It was Here Comes the Sun for us."

"Yeah," Lily said, smiling.

Holly

It took Holly several minutes of trying to wander around, looking like she was just mingling, to locate the drinks table. Having received a glass of champagne, she wondered if she could maybe find a dance partner somewhere, when she almost bumped straight into an older gentlemen she didn't recognize. "Oops!" To her surprise, he started talking at her immediately, like he'd recognized her. Foreign Minister? Saw the documentary?

"Oh, well, thank you so much!" Holly replied sweetly. Her heart was pounding. Was this guy for real? Using the film to learn about all of New Edom? Talk about pressure. "I mean, it was really just about the one election. I don't know if it..."

Then she was cut off by an older woman, talking to the older guy. He really said he was a foreign minister? Then he introduced the two of them. Holly wondered if there was something wrong with her ears. She felt her cheeks flame, because she couldn't even find their country on a map, much less identify the queen. "Qu...queen? I, uh...Your Majesty, it's nice to meet you!" She'd never spoken to a major public figure in her life. Unsure how to really curtsey, she just did an awkward kind of bow.

Tamburo

"Twins! A two for one deal," Tamburo joked. "I've heard it runs in the family. Well, what happens to everyone placing bets on "boy or girl" if that's the case? Does everybody in Ghant lose? If you get two boys or two girls do you get double the money? If you get one boy and one girl does everybody win?"

"Anyway, enough rambling out of me. I'll let you two get to your dance. Speaking of which, dance floor's looking a little thin right now. I ought to go find a partner. By your leave," Tamburo said, hoping he'd used the penultimate phrase correctly.

Deciding he had nothing to lose, Tamburo walked up to the nearby pack of Ghantish women who eyed the dance floor eagerly. Bowing in his customary showy manner, he addressed the group. "Would any of you lovely ladies be willing to settle for a humble Consul as a dance partner?"

Singletons

Julia was having a hard time keeping a smile off her face, and she was all but dragging Cary onto the dance floor. Just then, however, they were intercepted. This was a man that Cary had said was important back at the gala. Just to refresh her memory, Cary was the one who started talking.

"Undersecretary Dathan, good to see you again. Oh, you haven't met. This is my wife, Julia," Cary said to his opening line.

"It's nice to meet you," Julia replied, bowing like Cary had shown her.

"Julia, this is Undersecretary for Cornellian Affairs Levi Dathan. He's basically number two at the Foreign Ministry," he explained.

"I know what an undersecretary is," she replied teasingly. "He does that all the time..." Julia said to Levi as an aside.

Then Dathan made his comment on the Presidents and media panic. "Well, nothing like a little panic to grease the wheels sometimes, for good or for ill. Sometimes it can be painful just to get moving. As for our bosses, I don't know how they're staying focused either, to be honest with you."

"I bet they know a lot more than we do," Julia offered. "We have to guess, but they get the full story."

Redstone

For his part, the Adiran ambassador enjoyed the wedding. By now he was so accustomed to royal goings-on that he didn't dwell on the gory details. Yes, it was arranged, they were all arranged here. No, it wasn't, by other nations' standards, ludicrously extravagant taking money away from the wider Edomite population. It wasn't a crazy week-long affair, and although upscale was even considered tasteful by Adiran standards. There was even money being raised for a good cause.

The guests were treated to plenty of the best food and drink all around. Only the smell of ozone that filled the air when DeGroot and Robertson eyed each other might dampen the mood. There was also the dull roar of Azurlavai's collapse likely humming in the minds of anyone with political power. Redstone's attitude was that they couldn't ditch the wedding, so they might as well enjoy it.

Upon entering, he surveyed the crowd. He'd managed to sidestep the President and his questions so far, though in the few exchanges he'd had there was something different in his attitude. He saw Consul Singleton, whom he dreaded having to talk shop with, and he was talking to Levi. Not far off, he thought he spied the Undersecretary's wife.

'A-ha,' Redstone thought. Sentencing someone to an extra year of marital "bliss" here was a half-measure aimed at avoiding giving divorces. It was such a hassle, it was hoped they wouldn't bother. Levi might see him, but he was aware of the stream of questioning he was dodging from the consulates, and that he wasn't keen on talking to Singleton. That meant it was time for the appropriate libations. He thought he spied one of the Adiran guests over there, one of the young crew involved with the Carnmag documentary.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:51 am

Tamburo, Sophia, Malibar and the Pack

"Twins! A two for one deal," Tamburo joked. "I've heard it runs in the family. Well, what happens to everyone placing bets on ‘boy or girl’ if that's the case? Does everybody in Ghant lose? If you get two boys or two girls do you get double the money? If you get one boy and one girl does everybody win?"

Sophia laughed. “Well, consul, I believe the general consensus is that if it were a boy and a girl, then the bet would be a push. And if it is two of a kind, then double the money based upon the smaller odds of winning that bet.”

"Anyway, enough rambling out of me. I'll let you two get to your dance. Speaking of which, dance floor's looking a little thin right now. I ought to go find a partner. By your leave," Tamburo said, hoping he'd used the penultimate phrase correctly.

Malibar gave Tamburo a nod, and Sophia smiled at him as Malibar scooped up his daughter for the dance. “Tamburo is very refreshing to have at Dakar.” Malibar said.

“I do not doubt it one bit, father…especially with the likes of Lord Torloju around.”

Malibar sighed. “I doubt Tufur will be with us for much longer…he is very unhealthy and always stressed out.”

“Sounds like some other men I know.”

Malibar bit his lip. “I have spent so much time worrying about Michael, that I have neglected worrying about you and Martin.”

Sophia danced graciously with her father, and was un-phased. “What do you mean? I was unaware that we needed to be worried about.”

“…I meant to have Martin married to one of our banner houses to secure their loyalty and to provide Dakmoor with an heir of pure blood…Alazne Dain would have been an excellent choice. But instead, Martin is laying with Maria of Garza. I cannot have the blood of the Mad Emperor on the throne of Dakmoor. That would be inviting trouble.”

Sophia shook her head. “But father, they love each other…”

Malibar cut her off. “Love is irrelevant. Love does not keep things organized, keep people safe or keep power in the right hands. Duty does. This is why I admire Mara. She doesn’t love Michael…good for her. Love is the death of duty.” Malibar turned his eyes towards his daughter. “The fact that you love Nathan is a weakness of yours that can and will be exploited when the opportunity presents itself. Love if for children, Sophia. Duty is for adults.”

Sophia sighed as she rested her head against her father’s chest, in total disagreement.

Meanwhile, Tamburo walked up to the nearby pack of Ghantish women who were having a good time. He bowed and then addressed the group. "Would any of you lovely ladies be willing to settle for a humble Consul as a dance partner?"

There was some deliberation amongst the girls in the form of whispering chatter, and this went on for maybe half a minute. They all kind of just looked at him and giggled, before one of them stepped forward.

She was wearing a light purple dress that brought attention to her tall and slender, yet shapely form. With black hair in a braid that went down to the small of her back, fair skin and purple eyes, she smiled as she extended her hand. It was the Lady Alazne Dain, the great beauty of great reputation of late. “It would be my honor.” Alazne said, her soft voice like a melody with a pearly white smile and rosy cheeks.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

Oenotria (Ancient)
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Oenotria (Ancient) » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:13 am

Holly

It took Holly several minutes of trying to wander around, looking like she was just mingling, to locate the drinks table. Having received a glass of champagne, she wondered if she could maybe find a dance partner somewhere, when she almost bumped straight into an older gentlemen she didn't recognize. "Oops!" To her surprise, he started talking at her immediately, like he'd recognized her. Foreign Minister? Saw the documentary?

"Oh, well, thank you so much!" Holly replied sweetly. Her heart was pounding. Was this guy for real? Using the film to learn about all of New Edom? Talk about pressure. "I mean, it was really just about the one election. I don't know if it..."

Then she was cut off by an older woman, talking to the older guy. He really said he was a foreign minister? Then he introduced the two of them. Holly wondered if there was something wrong with her ears. She felt her cheeks flame, because she couldn't even find their country on a map, much less identify the queen. "Qu...queen? I, uh...Your Majesty, it's nice to meet you!" She'd never spoken to a major public figure in her life. Unsure how to really curtsey, she just did an awkward kind of bow.

Christine laughed. "It's nice to meet you as well, mademoiselle Lemay!" she said, vigorously shaking the younger woman's hand. Alexander looked at her, slightly amused. "Don't make that face, Alexander Taskasaplidis" the Queen quipped, "if I remember correctly, you were the one that wanted her to direct a documentary about Oenotria, not long ago..."

The foreign minister choked on his champagne, and addressed Lemay. "...um, yes. You did a truly remarkable job, by raising awareness about New Edom's most pressing issues; an intelligent woman such as yourself is what Oenotria currently needs: maybe, my grossly incompetent colleagues would stop embarrassing the whole country and actually do their jobs, if they were publicly shamed in a documentary." He briefly glanced at the corner of the room where Zabat, Konstantinos and Thaddeios were conversing.

Christine shook her head, trying not to laugh.

Nalaya
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nalaya » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:29 am

With Kenneth

Keth laid her hand in the Noviteran's, accepting the invitation that she'd prompted. He wasn't an unpleasant man to talk to and so often she was short proper company. Unknown to Kenneth, she was thinking along similar lines. The man might have been interested in her company, but that was all. It was...not like work, where need and want were the currency of everyday life. It was pleasant to simply have someone to talk to about something new and different—from an entirely different world, in fact.

The Nalayan was a fine dancer, though her movements were slower and fluid rather than accompanied by the speed expected of a modern dance. Waltzing suited her perfectly. She had a certain awareness of exactly where her body was in space that few people could claim. Every muscle and bone was familiar to her. Part of it was training, part of it was an inherent knack. She hadn't learned to ballroom dance until just a few years ago, but she'd always had an interest in ballet and dancing in general.

"I hope I am not pulling you away from some scintillating business conversation with your friend," Keth said with a smile, allowing her body to fall into the comfortable rhythm. She followed it thoughtlessly, able to devote her thoughts to her conversation and trust her body would follow along on autopilot. "You Noviteri seem like the type to bring your work even to an event like this. I have heard that your world moves quickly, like a rushing stream. It must be exhausting."

She knew how that could be more than the average Nalayan. There was no escape from her job. It had an unhealthy habit of following her home, which left her virtually married to it. That had changed a little after her promotion, if only because she was out in the field far less. It would not be like Bara any more, not unless the situation at home really blew up. Then she would go into full damage control mode just like everyone else. No one wanted a return to the bad old days.

Thankfully, Kenneth had left her profession out of the conversation. She wouldn't have to bore him with the details of work, just as she wouldn't have to hear about corporate case law. It was actually somewhat interesting in concept, the way corporations worked. Nalaya did not have them in the way that Novitera did. There was a sharp dividing wall between corporations and the government at home, just as there was between religion and the government. Honor and tradition drew those lines.
Do you know, my son, with what little understanding the world is ruled?
- Pope Julius III

Gavinium Magnus
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

The Gavinians

Postby Gavinium Magnus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:51 am

King Maximian II

"My apologies for the mistaken identity. From the back, well, anyway, good to meet you, Your Highness. Excuse me, Your Majesty. As for Desiree, I would like to see my dear sister again. I do miss her and there are so many rumors that I want to quash back home about their Crown Princess. Sheesh, one baptism and people get crazy ideas!" Maximian excused himself and approached Arietta first, mostly to make waves.

"Your Highness, would you care for a dance?" he asked the Ghantish princess.

No doubt Arietta would think him naive.....but that would be to underestimate the young monarch. He was no Nathan. Maximian ruled as well as reigned. He was an autocrat, like all Gavinian monarchs before him.

Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie, for her part, chose to approach Iralia and see if she could get a dance...she got that vibe from the woman, after all. A soldier woman...an Amazon...yummy. Even the idea made her tingle.

"If I might cut in," she apologized to the Cacertan's present company, "This is a ball and I would like to dance with you, miss."

Dancing, after all, wasn't necessarily a lesbian act, was it?

Lothair

"Good to meet you, Eminence. I am Archbishop Lothair of the Reformed Cornellian Church of Gavinium Magnus. We're an attempt to embrace all traditions of Christianity and emphasize Christian brotherhood rather than too much emphasis on dogma," Lothair explained.

"You're head of the Five, are you not?" he added.

Natalie

"Tensions in the marriage, Majesty? Perhaps you wish to discuss it during a dance?" Natalie smiled at Nathan.

"Marriage isn't always easy, wasn't always for me, but like you, I was in love. That helped a great deal as a motive to work things out," she noted.

Julian

"Well, you looked lonely and a lovely woman so lonely, especially while married, is truly tragic, if I might be so bold as to say. Then again, I tend to be rather lecherous, I must confess, but I do care when I see people suffer. I know your reputation, but I do not judge. I am the same. I am no priest, like my brother there. I am a man with thin skin and issues over my albinism, but I am still a man. Right now, what I need is to dance with a beautiful woman," Julian explained with a smile that was meant to reassure her that he understood....he was not cut out to be the faithful sort, either.

Stephanie

"I love to dance, you know. Nothing more than that, I fear. I would never betray my fiance, of course. We're strangely monogamous for a Gavinian couple, though at first that idea would never have occurred to me," Stephanie explained.

"We need some serious music, don't we.....what sort of music do you like, Highness?"
Last edited by Gavinium Magnus on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Love of one is a piece of barbarism, since it is practiced at the expense of all."- Friedrich Nietzsche

Shalum
Minister

Founded: Oct 07, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Shalum » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:55 am

Dominus James Matthews

For a few minutes, Matthews did as he was supposed, awkwardly drifting around the room from group to group, introducing himself as a representative of Shalum. He had no earthly idea how he got roped into these kinds of things, surely there was -someone- out there who could have done a better job at this than he. He was a glorified tax accountant after all, not an ambassador or even a consul. Not to mention, he wasn't even a 'true' noble like many of these people were, he had been knighted by the Imperator for his duties not born in status. Some part of him was actually proud about that, though. He had earned his status, not been simply handed it, as if it made much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

As he glanced at the new couple, Mara and Michael, he sighed a bit forlornly. He hated these events, partly because he hated seeing royals flaunt themselves so blatantly, but much of his dislike came from the fact that he felt rather lonely during these times. Before his wife had died, he had taken her to these kinds of things, and had actually managed to have something of a good time on occasion. But those days were gone...and he needed a drink, a stiff one too, maybe some scotch would do the trick tonight or perhaps a high ball.

Matthews spotted the drink table in the far distance and sighed, straightening his jacket a bit as he began to walk, padding across the floor relatively unnoticed by those he passed. With no incidents made, he waited his turn and then placed his drink order, a highball consisting of scotch and carbonated water. He smiled and thanked the bartender as he received the order.

As he turned, he spied a very attractive woman (Freya Kelman) standing not far away looking rather exquisite...and the dress complemented her well too. Unfortunately for him, he realized her a moment too late, as he bumped into her slightly as he turned. He tensed, making sure to not spill his drink on her. "Umm...sorry about that ma'am" he apologized sheepishly, turning a bit red. He wasn't quite sure what to say, but since the last conversation at a bar with a woman had done him a lot of good, he decided to take another shot at it. "James Matthews, Shalumite delegation" he introduced himself more formally now.

Matthew and Aaron

Matthew blinked in surprise as he heard his name being called, by an accented voice which his mind seemed to remember, though he couldn't place a name to it. For some reason though, his mind seemed to label the accent as from Acheron, meaning that it was either Vyrsarian or Lanosian; as those were the two countries. He often visited Lanos due to the strong political ties there, and Vyrsar due to the fact that he was friends with a few of the noble family members, and often enjoyed partying in the northern nation. He had meant to take William and John up on his next visit, but he hadn't found the time.

After dealing with Vyrsarians for so long, Matthew didn't even seem phased by the cold, emotionless tone that came from Mathias. He had met the man in the past, once or twice, though he had never really gotten to know him; mostly due to circumstance, though he wondered if Mathias was even the 'friendly' type. "Guten tag, Mathias Vandenberg , nice to see you too" Matthew replied formally; giving the man a small nod as he offered his hand to shake.

Matthew glanced at the Ghantish woman on his arm. She was beautiful, and appeared like she belonged on the front cover of a magazine. "This is Allaria Belmore, my girlfriend" Matthew continued; nodding toward the woman on his arm.

Matthew glanced to the side and noticed that John was doing his best to stay hidden, or 'out of the way' as the young prince put it. Matthew wasn't surprised by this, Aaron Holland was both the shyest and smartest of his siblings, with an IQ of 145 the last time Matthew had checked. As it was, Aaron spent more time in the royal library or in a lab then in a gym, so he wasn't the fittest person in the world; though he did at least make a point to keep in shape somewhat, with his older brother's help. He wasn't a half bad runner, and his muscles in areas were toned from horse riding, but he wasn't necessarily muscular like Matthew was. Even so, he was rather attractive according to most women, as he still had his fathers looks.

"And Mathias, I would like you to meet my youngest brother Aaron Holland" the high prince said; scooting over a bit so that Aaron was forced out into the open.

Aaron looked up at Mathias and offered his hand meekly. "A pleasure to meet you, sir" he nodded.
Last edited by Shalum on Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Conscription is the vitality of a nation, the purification of its morality, and the real foundations of all its habits.

It is better to be a warrior in a garden then to be a gardener in a war.

Free Garza
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

The Garzans...

Postby Free Garza » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:19 am

Rosa

Seeing Ray at last, Rosa walked up to him and the Empress and curtsied, of course.

"Imperial Majesty, I am Rosa, Ray's wife and Crown Princess of Free Garza. Naturally, I would only succeed if Diego failed to have issue with his lovely wife, but at any rate, it is more important to me to be Ray's wife. I am pleased to meet you at last. Raymond is a great man and I am very thrilled to have him as my husband, you know. We hope to start a family soon, preferably as soon as possible," Rosa informed him.

Diego IV

Diego, meanwhile, sought out Bessandra, after a brief whispered conversation with his sister Blanca, who really wanted to tell Perrin something vital....she was with child.

"Grandmother, might I have this dance?" he asked her, smiling.

"Your Excellency will excuse me, please. I would like to speak to my grandmother again, after so long. Blanca was looking for you, I believe, anyway. Grandmother, she hopes to see you again at some point tonight, but for the present, she has urgent matters to discuss with her husband," he gave Perrin a knowing glance, as if to say....

You owe me one, friend. Between Blanca and me, you're out of this pickle now.

Isabel

"I am Isabel, Grand Duchess of New Olwe and formerly Princess of Free Garza. Former heiress to the throne, but that is a long story and I am now quite to content to accept Diego as the nation's sovereign. I have New Olwe to rule instead. You are General Zadok Hesperinus, the military hero, are you not?" she smiled in a very pretty, very charming way that would have many men drooling....hard to say with this one, however...that just made him a challenge....all the more alluring for it.

Montalbano

Realizing that he had gotten the brush-off, Montalbano decided not to make a fuss over it. He would at least get to enjoy some platonic gossip....about fashion and such.

"Yes, she has? My, my! That is rather fabulous, is it not? So is the palla. Very Roman of her, of course. Tell me, what kind of fashion industry does Edom have, anyway?" he truly wondered, seeing at least some lucrative prospects for exports with designer friends of his for whom he was a silent partner/investor.

Maria

"So, Your Majesty, will your father ever get around to accepting that I am not like the Mad Emperor and get over his objections to my match to your brother?" she asked Michael, still rather hurt by Malibar's blatant disgust for her.

"I really don't bite, you know," the blonde princess (lighter blonde in her case, with very pale skin) asked her prospective brother-in-law.
Last edited by Free Garza on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Viva La Garza!

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:48 am

Arietta

Maximian excused himself from Mara’s company, and approached Arietta.

Arietta was in her group of young noble women talking and pulling off some dance moves, such as some classic Ghantish group dances that young women often did. That was when a fellow came upon her…one that didn’t look Ghantish.

"Your Highness, would you care for a dance?" he asked the Ghantish princess.

Arietta seemed to be waiting for a dance. She smiled, and offered him her hand. “Why certainly…sir?” Arietta said not knowing who this man was.

Nathan and Natalie

Nathan almost forgot what it was like to dance with a woman that didn’t have a stomach the size of a watermelon. Nathan was a decent dancer, if not a bit clumsy, but he was able to handle Natalie with ease.

"Tensions in the marriage, Majesty? Perhaps you wish to discuss it during a dance?" Natalie smiled at Nathan.

“I am an open book…I don’t mind talking about it.” Nathan chuckled. “Naturally there is going to be friction. Friction is what creates fire though, does it not?” Nathan grinned.

"Marriage isn't always easy, wasn't always for me, but like you, I was in love. That helped a great deal as a motive to work things out," she noted.

That was when Nathan remembered. “It’s easy when there isn’t important stuff going on…like babies and stuff of that sort. Speaking of which, how is yours?”

Maria and Michael

Michael enjoyed dancing with Maria…she was always such a fun girl, full of energy, funny and sweet. She would make a good Queen, Michael thought.

"So, Your Majesty, will your father ever get around to accepting that I am not like the Mad Emperor and get over his objections to my match to your brother?" she asked Michael…"I really don't bite, you know."

“Well, I think it is between the Mad Emperor and your grandfather, whom Malibar despised, and for good reason.” Michael nodded. “Martin can be stubborn enough to force his hand, I think, provided there were certain circumstances that compelled it. Like if you were pregnant or something.” Michael laughed.

Allaria

Allaria was wearing a dark green dress that was open in the back and that left her shoulders bare…all the rage in Ghant of late. She coolly acknowledged the Vyrsarian. “Well met.” Allaria said with a curtsy. Like many Ghantish nobles, she didn’t particularly care for their Vysarian counterparts.

Allaria turned to Matthew, and leaned into his ear. “Hey Matthew, shall we share a dance? There are many good Ghantish girls John’s age too over there that he can dance with.”
Last edited by Ghant on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

L Ossienne
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ossienne » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:33 am

Noémie Debussy

Noémie glided into the ballroom attired in an elegant, form loving red dress with a deeply cut back and a delicately latticed upper front torso that granted just enough of a view of her breasts to remain both tasteful and evocative at the same time. Accepting her greeting with a flash of brilliant white teeth framed by her full smiling lips, she began to wander around the room. Taking advantage of the extra four inches that brought her height over six feet by a couple of inches, she scanned the area with a pair of hazel eyes sparkling amidst the silky brown skin of her face. The place was packed to the brim with politicians and royals with very few others not cut of the same cloth.

“It is not often that I get to rub elbows with so many blue bloods and government suits,” she thought as she made her way over to the nearest bar. Eyeing the selection that was available, she settled on a 2007 Chateaux Dox Malbec from Saint-Fons in southern L’Ossienne. Gently swirling her glass after receiving it from the bartender, she took a small drink of the deeply colored wine nodded her head in approval. Now being fully equipped to mingle and chat up the myriad of people wandering around, she flashed a thankful smile at the bartender and headed back out into the middle of the chatting and dancing conglomeration of sharply dressed wedding guests.

Eyeing an interesting looking individual (or group of individuals) Noémie approached them with a smile. “Bonjour,” she spoke in melodious French that was her native language. She then switched to a fluent English that had a Tartarian sound to it. “I am Noémie Debussy and it is a pleasure to meet you.” Following her greeting she kissed the cheeks of her new conversational partner(s) as was customary of typical greeting in her native land.

Shalum
Minister

Founded: Oct 07, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Shalum » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:00 am

Stephanie and William

William nodded and gave her a small smile. "I would enjoy dancing myself. And I would not betray my wife, ma'am" he replied honestly. It was true too, even if Lavinia was a cheating woman, he would not fall into the same snare irregardless of the situation. He hadn't cheated on her yet, and he didn't have any plans of it...unless some really odd circumstances came up and the temptation was too great. He liked to think he had a strong resolve, but he still just a man, and every man had his limit. "In Shalum, it's encourage that you get around and meet people, but once you marry; you're more or less locked in. Getting caught is the equivalent of social suicide. Of course...people still do it, but the risks are a bit higher than in some nations" he explained in turn with a small frown for a moment.

He glanced down at Stephanie. He stood at six-foot-four-and-a-half, so he often stood over all of those around him; other than the Vyrsarians and some Azzies. "Well, most people would expect me to say the older classics, opera and ballroom; symphonies and the like. I like them, I do, but not all the time. On a normal day, when I can find the time, I prefer some pop music...something a bit more modern" he shrugged. "And what about you ma'am, any preferences as to music?" he inquired.
Last edited by Shalum on Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conscription is the vitality of a nation, the purification of its morality, and the real foundations of all its habits.

It is better to be a warrior in a garden then to be a gardener in a war.

Oenotria (Ancient)
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Oenotria (Ancient) » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:09 am

L Ossienne wrote:Noémie Debussy

Noémie glided into the ballroom attired in an elegant, form loving red dress with a deeply cut back and a delicately latticed upper front torso that granted just enough of a view of her breasts to remain both tasteful and evocative at the same time. Accepting her greeting with a flash of brilliant white teeth framed by her full smiling lips, she began to wander around the room. Taking advantage of the extra four inches that brought her height over six feet by a couple of inches, she scanned the area with a pair of hazel eyes sparkling amidst the silky brown skin of her face. The place was packed to the brim with politicians and royals with very few others not cut of the same cloth.

“It is not often that I get to rub elbows with so many blue bloods and government suits,” she thought as she made her way over to the nearest bar. Eyeing the selection that was available, she settled on a 2007 Chateaux Dox Malbec from Saint-Fons in southern L’Ossienne. Gently swirling her glass after receiving it from the bartender, she took a small drink of the deeply colored wine nodded her head in approval. Now being fully equipped to mingle and chat up the myriad of people wandering around, she flashed a thankful smile at the bartender and headed back out into the middle of the chatting and dancing conglomeration of sharply dressed wedding guests.

Eyeing an interesting looking individual (or group of individuals) Noémie approached them with a smile. “Bonjour,” she spoke in melodious French that was her native language. She then switched to a fluent English that had a Tartarian sound to it. “I am Noémie Debussy and it is a pleasure to meet you.” Following her greeting she kissed the cheeks of her new conversational partner(s) as was customary of typical greeting in her native land.

Christina of Siritis/Christine de Vilhonneur

Christine was still laughing at Alexander's passive aggressive remark about the members of Oenotria's parliament, when she heard the sound of her native tongue. She hadn't heard another person other than her relatives speak French in years and, clearly taken aback, she addressed the younger woman next to her.

"Oh, my God..." she said. "Are you by any chance from... L'Ossienne? I never thought I'd hear the sound of my mother tongue ever again! It's a pleasure to meet you, I'm Christine de Vilhonneur..." "Aren't you forgetting something, Your Majesty?" remarked Taskasaplidis, a slight smile on his face - the alcohol had begun to take effect. Rolling her eyes, Christine continued, "...Queen of Oenotria." She said, a hint of sadness emerging from the cheerful tone of her voice.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:21 am

Free Garza wrote:Rosa

Seeing Ray at last, Rosa walked up to him and the Empress and curtsied, of course.

"Imperial Majesty, I am Rosa, Ray's wife and Crown Princess of Free Garza. Naturally, I would only succeed if Diego failed to have issue with his lovely wife, but at any rate, it is more important to me to be Ray's wife. I am pleased to meet you at last. Raymond is a great man and I am very thrilled to have him as my husband, you know. We hope to start a family soon, preferably as soon as possible," Rosa informed him.

After Ray exchanged the typical pleasantries with his wife, he told his aunt that this was the woman of his life. The Empress smiled warmly, and wished them both well. "He's told us a lot about you. Sometimes we couldn't even get him to stop."

Ray chuckled. "Well, Rosa, you've had that effect on me ever since I first heard about you."

"That's an understatement if I've ever heard of one," Quinn giggled. "Feel free to sit with us, Rosa. I'd love to get to know you and your country better. No doubt you must have questions for me too."
Last edited by Ganos Lao on Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

This nation is controlled by the player who was once Neo-Ixania on the Jolt Forums! It is also undergoing reconstruction.

Novitera
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:36 am

Kenneth Sorley

Kenneth was not a bad dancer himself. He synced well with Keth even though his dancing was more methodical and deliberate. Where Keth's movements and control was natural, Kenneth's were calculated. This was a pleasant dance. A shame that Kenneth was on the clock. Yet what would his clients do if he came back empty handed, fire him?

"We don't work together. He's just an old friend that went into government while I stayed in the private sector. More money in it. His name is Harvey Gentry. You might find him more interesting. He's on the Intelligence Committee of Novitera's federal legislative body." Kenneth explained. When Keth commented on Noviteran culture, Kenneth thought deeply about that. "Perhaps that is more so than most cultures but we know how to enjoy ourselves when the work is over." He replied and neglected to tell Keth that he did indeed have a professional obligation at this ball.

"I doubt the Nalayans can afford to dawdle either. What about you. Once this song is over, you'll go on working on whatever it is you intended to achieve tonight. What might that be? You're here came with no one. Either somebody is coming along or you have a task to complete." Kenneth asked, knowing that it was not him. He was quite neutral about that thought.
Last edited by Novitera on Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deadora
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Deadora » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:23 pm

The Deadorans Arrive

Jennifer entered the ballroom first, the others trailing behind her. She wore a long scarlet dress that reached down to the floor, though a black sash stitched with a white rose pattern she had loosely tied around her hips broke up the otherwise seamless field of colour. The neckline swept down to expose a hint of modest cleavage, whereas the back was almost completely bare, exposing the collection of scars she had accumulated during her childhood. Wavy black curls tumbled down her back, a cascade of oil so rich that her face seemed suffused with its own pale radiance. Katniss, her distant cousin and third in the Line of Succession, walked beside her on the right, and wore a garment of similar cut, though hers was black. Unlike the Empress, the Matron of House D'Xaen wore her ebon hair up in an elaborate bun topped with a simple silver circlet. To her left was Foerlene D'Kydra, ambassador to New Edom. She was dressed more akin to some of the foreign men, a well-cut suit that allowed for the wearing of pants. Both women were older than the Monarch that they served.

Following close behind were Bethany and Karsta, daughters of Katniss and Foerlene respectively. At seventeen years old, both were still three years away from adulthood in their native land. This ball was an opportunity for them to demonstrate their value to their mothers and their Empress. For Bethany it was her first trip outside the Empire and it was all she could do to avoid staring at all the sights, which were wondrous and offensive in equal quantity.

Behind them came the men. Benjamin Crowd, Deadora's first and only male officer, had arrived in his custom made officers dress uniform, sharply pressed and gleaming with silver highlights. A row of pins adorned his collar, awards for his service in the Imperial Army. Besides his pride, the uniform was of higher quality than any outfit he owned himself. The other man was Erryk Thrall, immediate cousin to Jennifer and the First Prince of the Thrall Family. Despite having also served in the Army, he was dressed in a simple, forest green toga. He was a Prince after all, and would not tolerate appearing in public dressed in the uniform of a subordinate to the commoner beside him.
Strategy is the art of creating power.

Nalaya
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nalaya » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:38 pm

With Kenneth

"You do yourself a disservice, Paron. You are plenty interesting," Kethiilys said. It wasn't said purely out of politeness—he had also done a good job of saving her from herself. He was a good dancer, which made this enjoyable and saved her from having to lead while watching steps. Here she could simply go with the flow. "Besides, I aim to avoid Intelligence tonight, no matter how fascinating their work. I wouldn't want to be scrutinized too closely, lest they discover how out of place I feel. I do hope you can keep my discomfort with royalty to yourself."

When he mentioned the pace and having fun off the job, Keth smiled. "We tend to take our time everywhere except for the military and the government. Life moves at a more languid pace. And I assure you, after this song I will follow the next one. My primary duty here is complete now that the Queen and King Consort have been congratulated. I would have been accompanied by our ambassador, but the poor man was recalled to Nalaya for a tongue-lashing—something I found out after I arrived. Now I am left to my secondary duty, which is merely to amuse myself without causing a scene until it is time to return home."

At the idea of someone coming along, she almost laughed. The only one who had come along was Kenneth and she expected no one else to. Being Nalayan was enough to keep most people at bay, considering the majority of the ball was Ghantar. Or Ghanti, as she would have called them. Neither country had that high of an opinion of the other from what she understood. They were not her area of expertise. She paid more attention to Southern Acheron, where she usually worked. That would change now, but she hadn't quite caught up with her new duties.

"Must we have our tasks?" she said pleasantly. "Business is all well and good, but this is a chance to unwind while other people machinate in their corners. Nalayans worship duty as much as the next people, but even I must admit I would very much like the chance to let loose a little bit."

Besides, she thought, I haven't had my second glass.

She spotted the Deadorans over Kenneth's shoulder and tensed slightly. Where they went, trouble followed. The two nations were repairing their relations, but she was grateful she wasn't escorting Hravad all the same. At least there was a lower chance of having to resort to damage control here. The Edomites knew how to play nicely with others.
Do you know, my son, with what little understanding the world is ruled?
- Pope Julius III

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates