NATION

PASSWORD

Fall 2030 in the Andromeda Islands

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:26 pm

World Assembly Botanical Gardens
World Assembly Territory
Friday, March 22, 2030
4:00 pm

Detectives Stabler and Detective Benson arrive in front of the Hanging Gardens, a near exact replica of the Ancient Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

STABLER: Where is this dude? Isn’t this a little melodramatic, a meeting in the park with some guy and a password?

BENSON: What was that password again?

An older man walks by, wearing a trench coat.

MAN: Law and Order.

Stabler and Benson are a bit surprised. They notice that the man is carrying a briefcase.

MAN: You can call me, Mr. X.

The World Assembly Botanical Gardens host a replica of the original Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

MAN: Now, the Red Guard doesn’t normally let people have access to information when it concerns International Security. If they deem something off limits, it’s normally off limits.

STABLER: Then, what are we doing here?

“Mr. X,” a former member of the World Assembly Police Department, has possession of a number of compromising documents.

MAN: The Red Guard keeps the originals, but there’s nothing that says that we can’t have copies.

BENSON: So, you’re going to give us the copies.

MAN: Essentially, yes. The Truth is that I was surprised I was able to get this information so quickly. Someone up there must like you too?

STABLER: God?

MAN: Miriam Aaronshon, Deputy Secretary-General and Captain of the Red Guard. But you were close.

BENSON: So, you looked over these records. What’s the verdict?

MAN: There were calls from Andromeda City to a specific number. All you need to do is find out where this number goes. My guess is that it’s the Weasel.

STABLER: The Weasel?

MAN: When someone from outside of World Assembly Territory wants some things taken care of, they don’t directly call the people who take care of it. Instead, they call a number, probably this number, and the weasel then calls someone with the skill set to get what they want done.

BENSON: So, they don’t use a website? They have a phone?

MAN: Yes. Right under the nose of the Red Guard, the weasel calls people to carry out assassinations.

STABLER: Do the Red Guard carry out assassinations themselves?

The World Assembly’s Botanical Gardens are known for more than flora and fauna.

The Man places the brief case in front of Stabler and Benson.

MAN: Some questions should be left unanswered.

The Man leaves Stabler and Benson standing in front of a greenhouse shaped like a pyramid.
The Andromeda Islands Factbook
http://iiwiki.com/wiki/The_Andromeda_Islands

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:59 pm

Carter Apartments
World Assembly Territory
Saturday, March 23, 2030
7:30 am

Detectives Benson and Stabler park across the street from the Carter Apartments. They discovered that the person they need to talk to works out of this building. Most likely, this is the person’s home.

Before they walk into the Carter Apartments, Stabler opens the trunk of his car and pulls out a baseball bat.

BENSON: You think we’ll need that?

STABLER: Would you rather I used my gun?

In World Assembly Territory, Police are known to employ unique interrogation techniques.

The Detectives walk to one of the apartments on the top floor. Stabler knocks on the door calmly. He knocks again. Once he hears that the person is trying to leave, he knocks the door down. He sees that the man, known as “The Weasel,” has a large folder and is trying to leave via the fire escape.

STABLER: Police. We just want to talk.

WEASEL: You’re not here to arrest me?

BENSON: No, but if you try to leave, my partner will blow your head off.

The Weasel climbs back into the apartment. He sits down on a small couch. There is an old house phone on the end table next to the couch.

STABLER: So, for our records, what’s your name?

WEASEL: Cedrick Wheeler. People call me the Weasel.

BENSON: And what do you do for a living?

WEASEL: I’m a go-between. People call me for certain services. I call the people who will perform those services.

STABLER: And what kind of services do you provide?

The Weasel is silent. Stabler lightly prods the Weasel with the back end of his baseball bat.

The Weasel, a notorious go-between, spills the beans about the missing phone numbers.

WEASEL: Off the record?

BENSON: Of course.

WEASEL: Robberies, killings, nefarious types of shit.

STABLER: Now, we’re going to get really specific.

Stabler pulls out some note cards.

STABLER: We noticed in late December that you received some phone calls from the Andromeda Islands. Who called you from the Andromeda Islands?

WEASEL: Late December? The Andromeda Islands?

The Weasel looks through his book.

WEASEL: I got some calls from a law office in Angeles City. The others were from someone, Gina… Gina Castlevania or some such.

STABLER: Anything else?

Stabler prods the weasel.

WEASEL: Oh, I remember. One was a Conference call between Gina Catalogna and Marius Butler.

BENSON: The Lord Mayor of World Assembly Territory?

WEASEL: I was surprised, too.

After Stabler writes a few notes on the cards. He puts them in his pocket.

STABLER: Thank you for your cooperation, Mr. Wheeler. We’ll keep in touch.

The detectives leave the Weasel’s apartment.

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:16 pm

Andromeda News Network
University of South Joppa Basketball Arena
Joppa, Allied States
Monday, August 5, 2030
Noon

The Green Party in the Andromeda Islands reached its height of popularity in 2028, winning nearly 50 seats in the last election and the Vice Presidency of the Allied States. Since then, more than half of the Assemblymen elected as Greens joined the Social Democratic Party, including the Vice President herself.

ANN reporter Rose Jackson interviews one of the two main contenders for the Green Party leadership. Assemblyman David J. LePetomaine was a professor of Eastern Philosophy at the University of Valois before his election to the Assembly of the Allied States two years ago. Critics of LePetomaine cite his strong New Age Beliefs as a big reason for the mass drop in popularity for the Green Party in recent years.

LePetomaine came into prominence four years ago when he debated Assemblyman Ronnie Hubbard about the Eastern Empire’s occupation of the Abu Continent.

David J. LePetomaine was a professor of Eastern Philosophy at the University of Valois.

(Excerpt from 2026 debate)

HUBBARD: (over LePetomaine) Sun Hwang Jae believes in a Master Race. His own father, the Emperor, said that most of us Andromedans are mongrels.

LEPETOMAINE: (over Hubbard) This is so disrespectful. You don’t disrespect the Messiah…

Assemblyman Elron Hubbard of Joppa debated LePetomaine on national television in 2026.

HUBBARD: (over LePetomaine) Keith, if Sun Hwang Jae is the Messiah, I’m Black Dynamite. Can you dig it?

Cut back to Rose Jackson and David LePetomaine.

JACKSON: Professor LePetomaine, what do you hope to accomplish by gaining the Green Party nomination?

LEPETOMAINE: I hope to eventually educate people about what the Green Party represents. When the people learn about who we really are and what we’re really about, they’ll have no choice but to vote for us.

JACKSON: So, educate us. What does the Green Party represent? What is it all about?

LEPETOMAINE: It’s about all of us becoming one with the environment and becoming more in tune with the universe. Neither of the two other parties have any interest in what really connects us with the cosmos.

Jackson looks at LePetomaine as if he’s a loon.

JACKSON: So, you’re in favor of WISP, the Western Islands Sustainability Project?

LEPETOMAINE: Of course. If I had my way, we would have the WISP regime over all of the Allied States.

Jackson tries to hide her feelings about what LePetomaine just said.

JACKSON: Last week, the President appointed Jaclyn Bishop to the position she has essentially filled since June, Ambassador to the World Assembly. What’s your position on the World Assembly?

Jaclyn Bishop, the new Andromedan Ambassador to the World Assembly, is a recent graduate of the International School.

LEPETOMAINE: I’m personally against such all-encompassing organizations. I’m not familiar with Ms. Bishop, but I know that we as a country have spent an awful lot of time concerned about what other countries think of us. At this point in our history, it’s best to look inward if we’re to look forward.

JACKSON: Even if it means a more chaotic world?

LEPETOMAINE: That’s the choice? The World Assembly or chaos?

JACKSON: Maybe we should ask someone who lives on the Abu Continent.

LEPETOMAINE: Well, thankfully, I’m not running for President of that hell hole.

JACKSON: And with that, I want to thank Professor David LePetomaine for his time. Live long and Prosper, professor.

LEPETOMAINE: Likewise.

Jackson turns to the camera as if LePetomaine isn’t there.

JACKSON: In the next couple of days, we will hear from the other contender for the Green nomination, Ranita Wattley. We’ll also talk to Jayme Summers, who wants to see a full merger between the Greens and the Social Democrats. For Andromeda News Network, I’m Rose Jackson.

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:52 pm

Andromeda News Network
Joppa, Allied States
Tuesday, August 6, 2030
Noon

The South Joppa Foursquare Gospel Church is only a few miles south of the college. The church was founded by Ronald Wattley, a travelling minister. When Ron Wattley died, his eldest daughter Ranita succeeded him, becoming one of the few female pastors in the Archipelago.

Wattley’s Congregation has grown so large, that during the rainy season, they hold morning services here at South Joppa Basketball Stadium. The reason for Foursquare’s success is Wattley’s supposed ability to heal the sick. People from across the Archipelago have come to benefit from Wattley’s healing power, which she claims is a gift from God.

One of the few female Pastors in the Allied States, Ranita Wattley also claims to have healing powers.

ANN reporter Rose Jackson interviews Ranita Wattley about her chances of winning the Green Party nomination.

JACKSON: So, how do you reconcile your Christian roots with the ideology of the current Green Party? Do you see a conflict there?

WATTLEY: No, I don’t. If you are a Christian, and you have a strong, resolute faith in the Creator and an understanding of his creation, which is the life we live, then we understand that we are all interconnected. The smallest blade of grass in my former homeland has an undeniable connection to each one of us.

JACKSON: You and your parents travelled throughout the NS Universe when you were younger. How would that experience help you be a good nominee or a good President.

WATTLEY: As you know, my father was a travelling minister. He and my mother spent a number of years in Saintland, which has a State Religion. My time in the Ministry has strengthened me so that I can be an uncompromising advocate for The Creator and his word.

Ranita Wattley’s parents spent years preaching their brand of Christianity in Saintland when she was young. Her family was expelled for preaching against their State Religion.

JACKSON: There have been many stories about your healing powers. Many claim that you have divine gifts, while others claim that your healings are little more than a side show.

WATTLEY: There are always going to be naysayers who claim that these miracles are sleight of hand or smoke and mirrors or whatever. They can see a move of God and dismiss it as magic.

JACKSON: Let’s move to the World Assembly. What is your opinion about former President Mike Knox’s appointment as the World Assembly’s Assistant Secretary-General in Charge of the Abu Continent?

Wattley seems surprised by the question.

WATTLEY: Well, it’s good for someone from our country to do well in the World Assembly.

JACKSON: The job is one of the more difficult. An Andromedan has never risen to such a high level. Do you have any thoughts?

Wattley sits silent.

JACKSON: But do you support the World Assembly’s efforts on the Abu Continent?

WATTLEY: Well, I’m sure if someone from our country is in charge of something like that, then it’s something we should support.

JACKSON: Indeed. For Ranita Wattley and the Andromeda News Network, I’m Rose Jackson.

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:04 pm

Andromeda News Network
Joppa, Allied States
Wednesday, August 7, 2030
8:30 am

Throughout the history of the Archipelago, there has been one institution of higher learning that has eclipsed all others in terms of overall greatness. The University of Joppa is by far the oldest institution of its kind. The earliest remains of the University of Joppa are over 3,000 years old. Half of the Presidents of our country attended the college at one time or another.

In contrast, the University of South Joppa is less than 30 years old. There is currently only one member of the Assembly of the Allied States that graduated from the college: Folk singer Jayme Summers.

Summers made her reputation as a nationally renowned folk singer. She owns her own record label, Joppa Dame Records. Despite her label’s independence, Summers is one of the more famous singer-songwriters in the region. She has also been an activist for many leftist causes.

Jayme Summers, a nationally known folk singer, is a graduate of South Joppa College.

Summers was elected to the Assembly two years ago when the Green Party’s popularity was at its zenith. The Greens won nearly a quarter of the seats in 2028. Since then, many of those Assembly members have either become independent or joined the Social Democratic Party. Summers herself has made a smooth transition from being an outside agitator to an effective legislator.

Rose Jackson interviews Jayme Summers.

JACKSON: Why are you running for the Presidency?

SUMMERS: First of all, I’m not running for the Presidency of the Allied States. I’m merely running for the leadership of the Green Party. I encourage my Party to at least coordinate with the government during the next election.

JACKSON: So you think the Green Party should merge with the Social Democrats?

SUMMERS: Rose, most of the Green agenda over the years has been accomplished through cooperating with the Social Democrats. It makes little sense to have three parties when two of them agree on most everything. What’s most important is that our government gets things done. It shouldn’t matter if it’s a Green initiative or a government initiative.

JACKSON: On a much lighter note, how did you get hooked up with Dunkin’ Dan Stuckey?

“Dunkin’” Dan Stuckey, a member of the National Basketball Team, has dated Jayme Summers for the past two years.

SUMMERS: Not many people know this, but I played basketball at South Joppa. I have maintained a training regimen since college which helps me keep centered. I met Dan a few years ago. He’s a talented player, but he was a bit undisciplined. He’s become a much better player over the past couple of years because he’s focused on maintaining his health, keeping fit and avoiding the post game parties.

JACKSON: So, you’ve helped him become a better player?

SUMMERS: His priorities have changed. I’d like to take some credit for it, but who knows.

JACKSON: I asked your two opponents about some of the moves in World Assembly Territory. Hopefully, you can tell me something substantive. What is your opinion about former President Mike Knox’s appointment as the World Assembly’s Assistant Secretary-General in Charge of the Abu Continent?

SUMMERS: I think that if anyone can deal with the many different parties on the Abu Continent and negotiate a peace settlement, it’s President Knox. I think Knox will do his best and make our country proud. I would also like to comment on his replacement, Jackie Bishop.

JACKSON: Go ahead.

SUMMERS: The fact that we have such a talent pool in World Assembly Territory is a testament to President Knox’s leadership in the World Assembly during the past few years. He’s the first person from our country to become part of the World Assembly Leadership. Also, I have heard nothing but good things about his replacement, Jackie Bishop. We want our efforts in the World Assembly to be done in a professional manner, and I think she will make sure that we do good work there.

JACKSON: One last question, do you think Dan Stuckey and the Andromeda Eagles will bring the World Championship of Basketball back to the Allied States?

SUMMERS: I’m not sure, but I’ll definitely be pulling for the Eagles.

JACKSON: Me too. From South Joppa Basketball Stadium with Assemblywoman Jayme Summers, I’m Rose Jackson, Andromeda News Network.

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:36 pm

Andromeda News Network
Joppa, Allied States
Wednesday, August 7, 2030
9:30 am

For the previous two mornings, devotees of Rev. Ranita Wattley have held church services in the basketball arena before the Green Conference opened business at noon. Today, will be the third service in a row that will be led by Rev. Wattley, which should include at least one faith healing.

Rev. Ranita Wattley normally holds services at her church on Sundays. She has decided to hold morning service every day of the Green Conference.

The Green Party, like the other two major parties, has at least one delegate for every district in the Allied States. This morning, Wattley preaches for the Allied States to turn away from sin and toward the right path.

WATTLEY: Too often, people have left the Church because they haven’t experienced what God has to offer. It’s understandable, when you see what’s out there, especially in the more prominent Christian Nations. I spent some of my childhood preaching the true Gospel in a country called Saintland. The Kingdom of Saintland has their own version of Christianity, which is supported by the State.

Wattley looks around.

WATTLEY: And yet we have countries like Andromeda where true Christianity has bloomed into something beautiful, even without the State making us believe in it. Our faith is so strong that we don’t need to be propped up by the State. The State needs to be propped up by us.

Much of the focus during Wattley’s services is on herself. She is often referred to as The Instrument of God during her healing services.

WATTLEY: What then, shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us?

Amens come from Wattley’s devotees. Also included in this morning’s audience are a few curious members of the Green Conference. Most of Wattley’s people appear spellbound by their leader. Wattley become’s a bit more animated as she speaks.

WATTLEY: We should look towards Heaven this afternoon, when the Green Party decides to choose a nominee. The choice is clear enough. We choose elimination, esotericism or evangelism. Our party could be eliminated, becoming part of the Social Democrats.

Wattley’s fans yell no. Wattley becomes more animated, raising her voice.

We could also choose the sort of rank esotericism that David LePetomaine wants to give us.

Wattley’s fans yell even louder.

WATTLEY: Or we can choose the path that was set out for us from Glory.

The congregation yells, Amen.

Many faith healers who have come to the Allied States have been exposed as frauds.

WATTLEY: I believe each one of us can be an instrument of the Most High, doing his will here on Earth. I understand why people become skeptical when they see frauds out there, pretending to possess some of His gifts in order to take a little money from us. I have been an Instrument of God for many years, so I know that he is true. We need to send this message throughout the Archipelago, Amen?

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:01 pm

Andromeda News Network
Government Center
Joppa, Allied States
Thursday, August 8, 2030
10:00 am

In the Assembly of the Allied States, each candidate for the Presidency also runs for an Assembly district. After the election, the leader of the majority party normally becomes President.

In recent days, the Green Party Conference has turned into a three-ring circus, centered around Ranita Wattley. Today, away from Wattley and her fanatical followers, Rose Jackson will cover one of her opponents for the Assembly, retired basketball player Clark Washington.

JACKSON: Later today, just south of Government Center in Joppa, the Green Party will select its nominee. But right now, at Government Center, another candidate for that nominee’s assembly seat has already filed his candidacy papers. In a few moments, Washington will give a brief statement to local reporters.

Clark Washington, a native of South Joppa, played 18 years in the Allied States Basketball Association.

The front doors open. Washington and a few supporters come out.

JACKSON: Washington has just filed his candidacy papers. He’s going to make a brief statement before answering a few questions.

Washington stands at the podium. Among the small group of supporters are his wife and two children.

WASHINGTON: Good morning. Some of you are probably asking yourselves why, after a successful basketball career, I would subject myself to such a brutal game as Andromedan politics.

A few people laugh.

WASHINGTON: The truth is that politics and basketball are very much alike. In both games there are many goals to achieve, and there are many ways to get from point A to point B. In both cases, there are people who want to defend against enemies. The biggest difference is that in politics, it’s not always clear who is on which team.

Clark Washington, pictured here with his wife, announced that he is running for the Assembly against Wattley as a Conservative.

WASHINGTON: There are many people in the political arena who have the right ideas. People like Alonzo Brown, Ross Ewing and Joe Rutherford. These are men who want our country to return to the right path.

Alonzo Brown, Ross Ewing and Joe Rutherford are all prominent Conservative politicians.

WASHINGTON: And then there are people like Ranita Wattley. People like this seek power for the sole purpose of having it. They seek the adoration of the public, in exchange for empty promises.

Ranita Wattley’s critics claim that her followers worship her more than they worship God.

WASHINGTON: The antics of the past few days in South Joppa have compelled me to accelerate my plans for the future. Therefore, I, Clark Washington, announce my candidacy for the Assembly of the Allied States from District 24. Any Questions?

As local reporters ask questions, Rose Jackson wraps things up.

JACKSON: So, there you have it. Clark Washington has just challenged Ranita Wattley for her Assembly seat. Not everyone in South Joppa is drinking Ranita Wattley’s Kool Aid. Rose Jackson, Andromeda News Network.

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:58 pm

Andromeda News Network
Joppa, Allied States
Thursday, August 8, 2030
6:00 pm

Rose Jackson gives the play-by-play of what happened during the Green Party Conference this afternoon.

JACKSON: Of the nearly 600 people in attendance at the Green Party Conference this afternoon, less than 180 of them were delegates eligible to vote under Green Party rules. The sentiments of the delegates differed greatly from the sentiment of the overall crowd.

(cut to Convention Coverage)

JACKSON: Notably absent were supporters of Assemblyman David LePetomaine of Valois. According to anonymous sources, Professor LePetomaine remains a delegate to the Conference despite the fact that he returned to Valois two days ago.

David LePetomaine returned to Valois on Tuesday to run an Independent re-election campaign.

(cut to LePetomaine Press Conference on Tuesday)

JACKSON: (voiceover) LePetomaine had attracted little support in his quixotic campaign for the Green Party leadership.

LEPETOMAINE: In my humble estimation, the Green Party has been hijacked by outside forces that wish to manipulate it for their own purposes.

(cut back to Convention coverage)

JACKSON: LePetomaine may have been talking about people from the Social Democratic Party who have been openly courting Green Party members. A number of Social Democrat Assemblyman have descended upon the Green Conference in the past couple of days, assisting Jayme Summers in her effort to merge the Greens with the Social Democrats. Ms. Summers hosted a number of like-minded Assembly members in a press conference late this morning.

(cut to press conference)

ASSEMBLYWOMAN CARMEN CHU (G) OF SILLA: Most everything we as a party have asked for, we’ve gotten as partners with the Social Democrats. It makes little sense for us to continue being separate from our brothers and sisters in the Social Democratic Party.

JACKSON: (voice over) Assemblyman Leonard Lawrence, a leading member of the Social Democratic Party, described his party’s relationship with Green issues.

ASSEMBLYMAN LEONARD LAWRENCE OF ANDROMEDA CITY: Currently, each party associated with the Global Green movement is supposed to follow six guiding principles. Ecological wisdom. Social Justice. Participatory Democracy. Non-violence. Sustainability and Respect for diversity.

Social Democratic Assemblyman Leonard Lawrence came to South Joppa to convince Green Assembly members to join the Social Democratic Party.

LAWRENCE: Although the Social Democratic Party in the Allied States isn’t affiliated with the Global Green Movement, we have done our best to uphold those six principles. As a result, many former Green members of the Assembly have joined the Social Democratic Party.

Lawrence then specifically addressed supporters of Ranita Wattley.

LAWRENCE: Can the current Andromedan Green Party maintain their support for these core principles, or has their loyalty turned to a mere person?

(cut to convention coverage)

JACKSON: When the Conference finally got to the business of choosing a leader, supporters of Ranita Wattley attempted to drown out supporters of other candidates.

SPECTATORS: (singing) We shall not… We shall not be moved. We shall not… We shall not be moved like a tree planted by the waters…

Jayme Summers led the walkout from the Green Conference this afternoon. Ranita Wattley won the Green leadership by default.

JACKSON: The constant singing and chanting by Wattley supporters didn’t stop the delegates from concluding their work, but it made things difficult for Party organizers.

(cut to roll call vote)

CARMEN CHU: Silla State casts both of its votes for Jayme Summers.

SPECTATORS: (chanting) The whole world’s watching. The whole world’s watching. The whole world’s watching…

JACKSON: (voice over) In the end, despite spectator sentiment, Summers won the party leadership 93 votes to 71.

(cut back to Jackson)

JACKSON: After the final vote, Summers and her supporters left the South Joppa Basketball Arena, after which Ranita Wattley’s supporters declared Wattley the new leader of the Green Party. Across town, Summers supporters and their allies began their negotiations with the Social Democrats, whose Conference will be in three weeks. Rose Jackson, Andromeda News Network.

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:56 pm

Gina Castiglione Campaign Event
Silla State
Saturday, August 10, 2030
13:00 pm

Two days after the Green Party Conference ended, many Green Assembly members around the Allied States have either become Independents of joined the ruling Social Democratic Party.

Today, one of the two Assembly members from Silla State hosts the de facto leader of the Social Democratic Party. Vice President Gina Castiglione is one of the three major candidates for the Social Democratic Leadership. She also briefly exercised the powers of the Presidency in the days following the assassination of Vaughn Dunlap. Hosting the Vice President is the representative of Silla States’ urban district Carmen Chu, who will officially begin her re-election campaign today as a Social Democrat.

Chu and a number of her supporters begin the day at her home outside of Silla City. She, her supporters, Gina C and a number of Social Democrat activists will march to Government Center and file Chu’s papers. Chu speaks to introduce Gina C.

Silla State is known for traditional Korean architecture.

CHU: In many ways, the Gina C agenda and the Carmen Chu agenda have been the same agenda. As a Green member of the Assembly, many of us recognized Gina Castiglione as a kindred spirit. Even our previous nominee, Anna Kaewkhonkaen, the current President, joined the Social Democratic Party last year.

Assemblywoman Carmen Chu represents Silla State’s urban district

CHU: The President was smart enough to know something that I only just realized a couple of days ago, that the Green Party has more than its share of lunatics.

People laugh.

CHU: Did all of you see the Green Conference on television last week?

People say “yes.”

CHU: Now, how about if you were on the ground? I’m embarrassed for what the Green Party has become. I, like so many of us who care about the Green Movement, couldn’t believe that the Green Party was being transformed into a tent revival for a faith healer. I don’t know if Ranita Wattley’s a real healer, but do we have to make the Green Party into her travelling road show?

People laugh.

CHU: Thankfully, there are other candidates that have experience governing. With us, we have a leader who has been a state governor for 12 years and established universal health care in Angeles State. We have a leader from the Social Democratic Party who has a proven record of working with the Green Party, who has helped us fulfill our platform despite being a Social Democrat. I give you all, the next President of the Allied States, Gina Castiglione.

People cheered as Gina C came up and shook hands with Carmen Chu and replaced her at the podium. As the cheering dies down, Gina C speaks.

GINA C: I hope you brought your good walking shoes.

People laugh.

GINA C: Carmen, thank you for your kind words. I will try to be brief. Today is about welcoming a colleague to the Social Democratic fold.

Vice President Gina Castiglione makes a campaign stop in Silla City.

GINA C: For half of our country’s history, the Social Democratic Party has been in government in Andromeda City. It has been a long time since the dark days of…

Someone throws a tomato at Gina C. She dodges the tomato as the perpetrator is taken down by supporters.

PERPETRATOR: (yelling) You killed Vaughn Dunlap! You killed Gus Thomas and Fabiana. You killed them!

Gina C appears surprised. Her supporters drown out the man’s protests. Gina C speaks to supporters.

GINA C: This isn’t going to be an easy campaign.

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:52 pm

The Novak Element
Andromeda Conservative Media
Athens, Allied States
Monday, August 12, 2030
7:00 pm

Pat Novak, host of the Novak Element, will interview the three major candidates for the Conservative Party nomination over the next three days. Tonight, Novak interviews the first of the three candidates, Ross Ewing.

John Ross Ewing III, the Shadow Minister of the Treasury, is also the CEO of Ewing Oil, the largest oil company in the Allied States. Under his father’s leadership, Ewing Oil of Beta City became one of the more prominent oil companies in the Archipelago.

Assemblyman John Ross Ewing III of Athens is the CEO of Ewing Oil.

Ewing married the eldest daughter of one of their competitors. He married Pamela Barnes, the sole heir to the Andromeda Oil fortune, in 2005, during her junior year at the University of Athens.

Soon after becoming CEO, Ewing was elected to the Assembly of the Allied States from Athens’ rural district. During his tenure, Ewing has maintained a fiscally Conservative philosophy, while slowly developing a more hands off attitude toward social issues. Pat Novak interviews Ewing and his wife.

NOVAK: So, how did you two meet?

R. EWING: Pam and I ran in the same circles in Athens. She was a senior at the Girl’s High School when I was a business student at the University.

Pamela Barnes’ father was the President of Andromeda Oil. Her marriage to Ewing coincided with Ewing Oil’s acquisition of Andromeda Oil.

NOVAK: So, your relationship had nothing to do with your position at Ewing Oil?

P. EWING: Both of our families encouraged our relationship. I was an only child and Ross was being groomed to take over Ewing Oil.

R. EWING: Just like I’m grooming my oldest son to replace me when the time comes.

NOVAK: Okay, about your political views. How do you feel about the relationship between government and business?

R. EWING: I personally think that government should do everything it can to encourage free enterprise in the Allied States. This means having a low tax rate and lightening the burden of business regulations.

NOVAK: Could you give any specific examples of this?

R. EWING: The Western Islands Sustainability Project. Currently, more than half of our largest state, The Western Islands, is shut off from industry by WISP. Imagine how many more oil jobs, fishing and shrimping jobs and tourism jobs could be had if it weren’t for WISP?

Ross Ewing wants to repeal the Western Islands Sustainability Project, opening up the Western Islands to industry.

NOVAK: And how about the social realm? What’s your position on universal health care?

R. EWING: I don’t think the government should be in the business of mandating something like that. Just like government shouldn’t be in the business of establishing a state religion or defining marriage.

NOVAK: Don’t you think those things are important?

P. EWING: There are things that Andromeda City simply shouldn’t concern itself with. I’m sure you understand that, Mr. Novak.

R. EWING: What I always found was that if workers did what they were supposed to do on the job, we didn’t worry about what they did off the job.

NOVAK: I see. For Ross and Pam Ewing, this is Pat Novak with Andromeda Conservative Media. We’ll be back after these messages.

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:19 pm

Sea Fox II
Palermo, Allied States
Tuesday, August 13, 2030

This year’s Conservative Conference will be held in Palermo State, which is perhaps the closest thing to a swing state in the Archipelago. In recent months, changes at Andromeda Conservative Media have heavily influenced the direction of the Conservative Party, at least at the local levels, throughout the Allied States.

One of the most noticeable changes is that the station has become more doctrinaire in its conservatism, as far as economic and social philosophy. In the past, the station has promoted a climate in which government has little to do with business. Since the recent management changes, the station has promoted a partnership between a Conservative government and big business in an effort to maximize employment and productivity.

Sea Fox II, owned by Rad Green’s grandfather, is en route to Palermo from St. Paul.

Andromeda Conservative Media’s new CEO, Conrad “Rad” Green, has also promoted a number of investigations into Social Democratic figures. Many of their media personalities have begun to highlight a conspiracy theory that involves Vice President Gina Castiglione masterminding the assassination of Vaughn Dunlap.

Rad Green has Joe Rutherford and his family as guests on the Sea Fox. Rutherford is Rad Green’s hand picked choice to become leader of the Conservative Party. Rutherford and Green talk about the upcoming Conference while sitting outside, sunning themselves on deck.

RUTHERFORD: It starts with the interview this afternoon. We tell the public what they want to hear and then we essentially drop bombs all over the Conservative Conference. We flood the delegates with cash, and they’ll simply be compelled to support us.

Joseph Franklin Smith Rutherford, Assemblyman from St. Paul, is a former Governor.

GREEN: So, you want to simply buy everyone off?

RUTHERFORD: It sounds so crass, the way you say it. The difference between us, Ross Ewing and Alonzo Brown is that we got the money and we got the names. Ambrose Barnes is on the payroll. Michelle Rooks is on the payroll.

GREEN: And why do we have Barnes and Rooks on the payroll?

RUTHERFORD: So the Social Democrats don’t have them. We’re paying them to sit this out. Barnes has managed the last three Social Democrat campaigns. Michelle Rooks’ firm would have also been a serious threat.

Rutherford’s lovely wife, Julia walks out with drinks for both her husband and Rad Green.

RUTHERFORD: Thanks, baby.

Rutherford continues the conversation as his wife hands the other drink to Green.

Julia Alexander Rutherford’s great-uncle was former Andromedan President GA Holst.

RUTHERFORD: What do you think of our new focus on traditional values? I think it’s a good idea.

GREEN: Well, you know Andromedan culture more than I do, but I’m not sure if it’s a good idea.

RUTHERFORD: What do you mean?

GREEN: The way I see it, we don’t want to tell people what to do with their lives. We keep saying that the Social Democrats do that, so we shouldn’t.

RUTHERFORD: We don’t want GOVERNMENT telling people what to do. Now, ACM isn’t the government. We want people listening to them. Distinct cultural practices are important, no matter what Ross Ewing says.

GREEN: So, what about Ewing’s people and Brown’s people?

RUTHERFORD: One of those two should be the VP nominee, as long as they know how to play ball.

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:21 pm

Andromeda News Network
Little Odessa
Palermo, Allied States
Wednesday, August 14, 2030

Walking among the shoppers and pedestrians at the Little Odessa market are the leaders of the TEA Party. The TEA Party is a segment of the Conservative Party that believes in following Christian principles in government. The name TEA stands for True Evangelicals of Andromeda.

At the head of this group, greeting people, is Amos Alonzo Brown, the Head of the Andromedan Tea Party. Brown was once the head of the largest church in the Allied States before he was elected to the Assembly. His brother-in-law is currently the Head Pastor as Lion of Judah worship center. Rose Jackson interviews Alonzo Brown and his wife, Thelma, as they shake hands with well-wishers.

JACKSON: So, what are you doing this morning?

Rev. Amos Alonzo Brown, Assemblyman from Beta City, leads the TEA Party. TEA stands for True Evangelicals of Andromeda.

A. BROWN: We’re doing something that has been a hallmark of our past campaigns, and indeed a practice we’ve done since we began our ministry. We’re bringing our message to the people.

JACKSON: That means coming out to the Farmer’s Market this morning?

A. BROWN: That’s exactly what it means. We want the Conservative Party to win in 2030. That means that Thelma and I should be Ambassadors for the Conservative Party and meet the people. Too many of my colleagues seem to think that campaigns are all about throwing mud at opponents and spending money until it’s gone. We shouldn’t campaign like that because we can’t govern like that.

JACKSON: Mrs. Brown, you and your husband are both candidates for the Assembly this fall. What’s your view on spouses in political office?

Thelma Evans Brown taught at Beta City’s Lion of Judah Middle School until her husband was elected to the Assembly in 2022

T. BROWN: Well, Rose, there are precedents. Our current President’s husband works in the defense department. Vaughn Dunlap’s wife was on the Supreme Judicial Council. It’s not unusual for someone like me to take the plunge into an Assembly campaign.

JACKSON: What are your husband’s chances in this campaign for the Conservative nomination?

T. BROWN: Alonzo’s persistent. When he wants something, you can bet that he’ll work hard to get it. He proposed to me three times before I said yes.

JACKSON: Rev. Brown, what’s the key to victory?

A. BROWN: Faith in God and Hard work. We have to have faith that we’re fighting the good fight against the wealth that Joe Rutherford and Ross Ewing we have, then we have to actually fight for every vote we can get, both this week and in the fall. James, 2:17 says that faith by itself, without works, is dead.

JACKSON: Hallelujah.

Brown supporters laugh.

JACKSON: With Rev. and Mrs. Alonzo Brown at the Little Odessa Farmer’s Market in Palermo, this is Rose Jackson, Andromeda News Network.

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:49 pm

PRESS CONFERENCE
The Conservative Conference
Palermo Convention Center
Palermo, Allied States
Wednesday, August 14, 2030
Noon

Tomorrow, the Conservative Party in the Allied States will choose their next leader, their nominee for the Presidency of the Allied States. One of the key players in this decision will be the new CEO of Andromeda Conservative Media, Conrad Green III.

Green has been entrusted with helping to make the Conservative movement in the Andromeda Islands more organized. The goal given to Rad Green by Project Valhalla is to ensure that the Conservative Party takes over Andromedan Government by 2032.

Although the choice of Rad Green may appear to be a frivolous one, Conrad Green III spent most of his university years in the Allied States, earning a BS and an MBA from the University of Andromeda.

Conrad “Rad” Green, CEO of Andromeda Conservative Media, recently became a citizen of the Allied States.

The Press Conference begins now.

GREEN: Good afternoon. For too many years, the Conservative Party in the Allied States has been the #2 Party in the Allied States, behind the Social Democratic Party. It will not be easy to change this situation. We have many obstacles to overcome, one of which has to do with the legacy of the last Conservative President, Randy Godwin. We have much to overcome, but we will get over these obstacles with time.

Green pauses.

GREEN: To this end, Andromeda Conservative Media has hired Chad Rourke, who has successfully run Conservative campaigns throughout the NationStates Universe. Rourke has committed to working with the Conservative Party for the next two years. Chad Rourke, ladies and gentlemen.

Rourke steps forward.

Chad Rourke, an internationally recognized campaign consultant, has been hired by Andromeda Conservative Media to coordinate the National Conservative Campaign.

ROURKE: I am honored that Conrad Green has allowed me to speak with you today. It has been a long time since the Social Democrats have been out of power in this country. It has been fifteen years since the Social Democratic Party has been out of power. Any good Conservative should have a problem with that. Any lover of healthy democracies should see something wrong with that.

Green and others in the Conservative leadership agree.

ROURKE: The problem is that the Conservative Party, the only real opposition party here in the Allied States, hasn’t been consistent. There have been times where leaders like Wayman Phillips and Union Kane have practically conceded defeat in national elections before all the votes have been counted.

Conservative activists in the audience start to get visibly upset.

ROURKE: Heck, Union Kane is in the government now. He gave up his leadership post in the Conservative Party to be Treasury Minister.

Spectators start to cheer Rourke.

ROURKE: In order to become a strong party, we need to be a united party. We need to be on the same page. If we do this, we can go toe-to-toe with the Social Democrats. We’ll fight them, and we’ll give them one hell-of-a-fight, but we can’t do that if we don’t have a coordinated effort. We have been working to have a single, coordinated message. Hopefully, we’ll see the results of this work tonight. Thank you.

GREEN: Thank you, Mr. Rourke. Any questions?

REPORTER #1: Yes, Mr. Rourke, does this national campaign include finding a Conservative candidate in every district?

ROURKE: Yes, it does. Next question.

REPORTER #2: Who are you endorsing?

Neither Conrad Green nor Chad Rourke are prepared for that question.

GREEN/ROURKE: No comment.

On that note, the press conference ends.

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:06 pm

Ross Ewing Campaign Headquarters
San Juan de la Porto Hotel
Palermo, Allied States
Thursday, August 15, 2030
1:00 pm

The conference rooms in the San Juan Hotel have been taken over by the Ewing Campaign. The Ewing campaign and a number of their pledged delegates have also booked most of the rooms in the San Juan. Ewing has the solid support of about 20% of delegates going into the convention vote, which is supposed to start in about an hour.

Either Joe Rutherford, Alonzo Brown or Ewing would emerge tonight as the Conservative nominee. Rutherford’s campaign has relied on huge television and radio advertising throughout the country. Normally, campaigns like that don’t start airing TV ads until after the Unity Day Speech in September. Brown’s campaign also employed an aggressive strategy. Their Tea Party network has been calling delegates since they arrived in Palermo last Sunday.

Ross Ewing’s message of personal and economic freedom didn’t resonate with delegates.

Ewing’s message has been one of low taxes, limited business regulation and limited concern about personal issues and private affairs. His message is essentially the same as Rutherford’s with a couple of differences: 1) Rutherford has spent much more money than Ewing and 2) Rutherford has been known to say just about anything to get on the right side of voters.

Earlier this year, Rutherford convinced Rev. Mike Holstein, the head of the second largest church in the Allied States to endorse him, claiming that Rutherford was a good Christian man. Joe Rutherford is a Mormon, and as far as Ross Ewing was concerned, Mormons weren’t real Christians.

Rev. Mike Holstein, Head Pastor at Andromeda City’s Assembly Hall Church, endorsed Joe Rutherford.

Ewing sits, watching the television. His campaign manager, Karl Hass, walks in and sits next to him.

HAAS: So, did you talk to the Governor this morning.

EWING: I talked to her, but if she’s anything like Mike Holstein, she’s been bought off by Rutherford too.

HAAS: Don’t give up hope just yet Ross. She’s going to make an announcement in a few minutes.

EWING: I’ll give Governor Coleman one thing, she’s kept her cards close to her chest. How much pull do you think she has?

HAAS: Well, if she endorses Rutherford, it’s over. If she backs Brown, it’s bad for us, but at least we have an opening. My guess is that she backs Brown.

EWING: And another thing: Just in case I haven’t been clear about it, I can’t f8ck8ng stand Joe Rutherford.

HAAS: The guy’s being propped up by Andromeda Conservative Media, which he’s a major stakeholder in.

Governor Athena Coleman, a first term Governor of Palermo, has yet to endorse one of the three candidates. She stands at the Convention podium, ready to gavel in the Thursday session and make her endorsement. Governor Coleman’s endorsement will coincide with her nomination speech. The only question: who will it be?

Athena Coleman, Conservative Governor of Palermo, endorses Alonzo Brown.

COLEMAN: Good afternoon. By the time this evening is over, the Conservative Party will have chosen our nominee, and, with God’s help, that nominee may very well become the next President of the Allied States.

Cheers from the Convention crowd.

COLEMAN: When I first led the Conservative campaign here in Palermo two years ago, there were detractors who said we couldn’t take over state government. We didn’t listen to those detractors, but we didn’t ignore them either. We knocked on doors, we fought in every Assembly district and every state council district. We fought the Social Democrats and we won.

Cheers from the Convention crowd, especially the Palermo delegation.

COLEMAN: We didn’t have that much money. We didn’t have conventional wisdom. What we had was volunteers and determination. Now, there is another campaign that has arrived here in Palermo that doesn’t have the money or conventional wisdom. We will not change the Allied States by running the same old campaigns of the past.

The Convention crowd cheers. In the San Juan Hotel, Ewing and Haas agree.

EWING: Holy shit! I don’t believe it.

HAAS: She’s endorsing Brown.

COLEMAN: That is why today, I am proud to nominate Alonzo Brown of Beta City as the next President of the Allied States.

The convention crowd cheers. In the San Juan Hotel, Ewing looks over to Haas.

EWING: There’s still hope. Karl, we’re walking over to the Convention center.

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:56 pm

Conservative Conference
Palermo, Allied States
Thursday, August 15, 2030
8:00 pm

Ross Ewing stands back stage with his wife, Pam Barnes. They talk to each other while Rev. Alonzo Brown, accepts the Conservative nomination for President of the Allied States.

P. EWING: You did the right thing. Instead of extending the Convention, you threw your support to Alonzo Brown.

R. EWING: It was a calculated move. I had no choice.

P. EWING: What do you mean?

R. EWING: Pam, if I hadn’t thrown my support to Brown, I would have come in third, and Joe Rutherford could have still won.

P. EWING: What’s wrong with Joe Rutherford? He’s handsome. He looks like a President.

R. EWING: I don’t trust Joseph Franklin Smith Rutherford. He’s unprincipled. He’ll say and do anything to get what he wants.

P. EWING: And you thought about the best way to stop him, so you threw your support behind the Most Reverend Alonzo Brown of Beta City.

R. EWING: His views on freedom of religion leave much to be desired, but at least we know what they are. Rutherford has been dancing around the religious question for weeks. And it isn’t like Brown wants to impose his religion on everyone either. Some of what he says about government officials and faith actually makes sense.

Ewing gets a phone call from his right hand man, Karl Haas. He answers.

R. EWING: Haas?

Haas is among the crowd, listening to Brown’s speech.

HAAS: Are you listening to Brown speak?

R. EWING: Not especially?

HAAS: It looks as if Alonzo Brown is a hit. Even Rutherford’s people are hanging on his every word. Do you know what this means?

R. EWING: Joe Rutherford’s people are impressed by good speakers?

HAAS: Alonzo Brown may be what we’ve been looking for more than a decade. This guy could lead us to victory.

R. EWING: Karl, don’t drink the Kool Aid just yet. If Gina Castiglione is the Social Democrat nominee, it won’t take a messiah to get us to the Promised Land.

HAAS: You haven’t been here watching the reaction. It’s not like when they react to Rutherford. It’s genuine. It’s real, and they’re fired up.

Meanwhile, Brown wraps up his speech.

BROWN: There are so many people who have helped us get this far. People like Governor Athena Coleman…

The Conservatives cheer as the camera pans on Governor Coleman in the background.

BROWN: And our nominee for Vice President of the Allied States, John Ross Ewing.

Ross Ewing comes out and shakes Alonzo Brown’s hand. Brown whispers something into Ewing’s ear.

BROWN: It was either you or Joe Rutherford, and I can’t stand Joe Rutherford.

Ewing laughs, knowing that nothing that they say in that moment will be on the record

EWING: I couldn’t agree more, Rev. Brown.

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Andromeda Times
THE CHAPEL HILL RACE IS ON
Capri Courthouse
Andromeda City
Friday, August 23, 2030
1:30 pm

Yesterday, Assemblyman J. Thomas Bryce from Andromeda City’s Chapel Hill District filed the necessary paperwork to run for re-election at the Capri Courthouse. He has served in the Assembly since 2024, and has only faced nominal opposition for the past couple of years. This year, Rev. Bryce will draw a high-profile opponent. His re-election campaign will not be an easy one.

Harry O’Shaughnessey is one of the most famous radio personalities in the Archipelago. He hosts “The O’Shaughnessey Show,” the weekday morning show on Andromeda Conservative Media. He works out of ACM’s Andromeda City Studios, which just happen to be located in Tom Bryce’s Chapel Hill District.

Harry O’Shaughnessey hosts the O’Shaughnessey Show on Andromeda Conservative Media from 9:00 am until noon.

After filing his paperwork, O’Shaughnessey spoke in front of supporters, most of which also happened to be employees at Andromeda Conservative Media.

“It’s time that Chapel Hill be championed by a true Christian,” O’Shaughnessey said. “Not an Assemblyman who so comfortably cavorts with terrorists.”

Rev. Bryce, the Head Pastor at Friendship Baptist Church in Chapel Hill, has a weekly lunch at the Muslim mosque near the Capri Courthouse every Thursday. Rev. Bryce’s congregation often participates in interfaith activities during the week.

Rev. Bryce and Harry O’Shaughnessey were part of a heated exchange during Bryce’s last appearance on the O’Shaughnessey show last fall. During the exchange, O’Shaughnessey questioned Bryce’s commitment to the Allied States. Bryce, offended by the suggestion, implied that O’Shaughnessey was a circus clown. O’Shaughnessey recalled the incident in his afternoon press conference.

Assemblyman J. Thomas Bryce filed his paperwork yesterday after having lunch at a local mosque. Bryce was the first candidate to file his paperwork in Andromeda City.

“Chapel Hill deserves much better than John Thomas Bryce, who treats his political opponents like they’re stupid,” O’Shaughnessey said. “Just the other day, Rev. Bryce implied that good Christians were like predator drones.”

In all fairness, Rev. Bryce’s comments were about the new crop of Conservative candidates in 2030. During a speech on the Assembly floor, Bryce spoke on the upcoming election.

“You’ll see them come out,” Bryce said. “There’s a new crop of candidates out there, coached by Andromeda Conservative Media to say the right things, even if they don’t quite understand what the point is. They’ll have unlimited air time on TV and radio. They’ll try to drown us out with their monetary advantage.”

Bryce paused.

“But many of our opponents still haven’t learned their lesson. A good Assemblyman represents as many of their people as they possibly can, even if their opponents wrongfully refers to them as terrorists.”

Conservative radio talk show host Harry O’Shaughnessey and Assemblyman Tom Bryce do not like each other.

“Harry O’Shaughnessey will have a hard time getting to know Chapel Hill,” Bryce said.

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:54 pm

Andromeda News Network
The Assembly of the Allied States
Assembly Plaza
Andromeda City
Monday, August 26, 2030
1:00 pm

After the assassinations of Vaughn Dunlap, Augustus Thomas and Fabiana al-Aziz, there was a void in leadership in the Social Democratic Party. In the weeks and months leading up to the Social Democratic Conference in Joppa, Vice President Gina Castiglione was the front runner for the nomination.

Many of the Assembly members who formerly backed Augustus Thomas ended up backing Assemblyman Joe Clark, who succeeded Gina C as Justice Minister. Clark’s wife also happened to be both a cousin of Gus Thomas and a niece of former first lady June Kalla.

There are others within the Party who didn’t want to see either Gina C or Joe Clark win the Social Democratic nod. They convinced one of their own to pursue the Party leadership: Assemblyman Leonard Lawrence of Andromeda City.

Leonard Lawrence is credited with thwarting an assassination attempt against President Mike Knox in 2022.

A professor of Economics at the Andromeda Naval Academy, Leonard Lawrence first caught the national spotlight in 2022. President Mike Knox was just about to address the Assembly when an assassin attempted to shoot the President. Leonard Lawrence subdued the assassin. Since then, Lawrence’s career was comparably uneventful. He recently replaced Adm. Julius Winnfield as Minister of the Navy. Rose Jackson interviews Lawrence in a largely empty chamber.

JACKSON: So, what were you thinking the moment that shots rang out here in the Assembly Chamber?

Lawrence tries to remember that day.

LAWRENCE: I really wasn’t thinking anything. I heard someone shooting bullets. My first instinct was to find the person and subdue them before anyone else got hurt.

Leonard Lawrence (ret.), Assemblyman from Andromeda City, taught Economics at the Andromeda Naval Academy.

JACKSON: That’s it?

LAWRENCE: Ms. Jackson, I served in the Andromeda Navy before I attended University. Some of the Navy training I had must have stuck. In hindsight, I probably should have been scared, but I didn’t think about it at the time.

JACKSON: And you were given a field promotion by President.

LAWRENCE: Yes. I’m perhaps the only person ever promoted from Sergeant to Commodore.

JACKSON: So, what compelled you to run for the Social Democrat leadership?

LAWRENCE: More like who, Ms. Jackson. There is a sentiment against the status quo. Enough of us don’t want to see either Gina C or the Nassau Mafia take the Presidency. Again, I just happen to be in the right place at the right time.

Melvina Doyle Lawrence, English professor at the University of Andromeda, has been married to Lawrence for 18 years.

JACKSON: What about the woman who would be first lady, Professor Doyle?

LAWRENCE: I was a graduate student, studying Economics. She was a freshman who wanted to be a writer. She was in an Econ class in which I was a TA, and the rest is history.

JACKSON: And what does she think of your candidacy?

LAWRENCE: Until a few months ago, we were looking forward to our oldest going to U of Andromeda. As you probably know, a week or a month can be an eternity in politics.

JACKSON: Yes. That’s true. With Commodore Leonard Lawrence at the Assembly of the Allied States, I’m Rose Jackson, Andromeda News Network.

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:52 pm

Andromeda News Network
Joppa Convention Center
Joppa, Allied States
Tuesday, August 27, 2030
Noon

At this time last year, there were already two candidates jockeying for position as far as the Social Democratic leadership and the Presidency in the Allied States in 2030. One of those candidates, Gina Castiglione, served as 2nd Vice President and Minister of Justice at the time. She has since become sole Vice President in the aftermath of Vaughn Dunlap’s assassination.

The other candidate, Augustus Thomas, was killed on New Year’s Day. Vaughn Dunlap had intended for Thomas to be his successor. Instead, Anna Kaewkhonkaen rose to the Presidency. Kaewkhonkaen, like Dunlap, also happened to be more of a centrist. After a few months, it became clear that Gus Thomas’ position as leader of the centrists had been taken by his cousin, Joe Clark.

Joseph Pollard Clark, Minister of Justice & Assemblyman from Portsmouth, was chief prosecutor in Portsmouth.

Joseph Pollard Clark worked his way through the University of Portsmouth while serving with the Portsmouth Police Department. Once he graduated from Law School, he worked for the State Prosecutor’s Officers, serving as Chief Prosecutor before his election to the Assembly in 2016. Clark became Justice Minister once his predecessor, Gina Castiglione, rose to become sole Vice President. Mase Gumbel interviews Clark and his wife, Linda.

GUMBEL: So, let’s cut to the chase. How’s the campaign going?

CLARK: It’s going great, Mase. I’m not quite sure where we stand as far as the delegate count, but at the rallies where we’ve spoken, there has been overwhelming support.

GUMBEL: Do you think that your campaign has benefitted from the rumors surrounding Gina C and Owen Madden?

CLARK: I honestly don’t know what rumors you’re talking about, Mase. We’ve been content with highlighting the progress we’ve made as a country since Sarah Vale won the Presidency 15 years ago. We’ve gotten where we are today through steady leadership. A race between Alonzo Brown and Gina Castiglione may be more exciting, but in politic and government, a dynamic landscape isn’t always a good thing.

Linda Lee Thomas Clark, a former Social Studies Teacher and Girl’s Basketball Coach, coached Uniondale High School to two Big Island Basketball titles.

GUMBEL: Your wife is a local celebrity in her own right. Tell us about her.

CLARK: Linda taught History and Government at Uniondale High in Portsmouth. She also coached their girl’s basketball team to two Big Island titles. We’re also talking about her running for the Assembly this year.

GUMBEL: For those of you who are unfamiliar with Andromedan politics, it’s not uncommon for both a President and his spouse to serve in the Assembly at the same time. Julia Todd and Judy Holst, both served as Ministers under their husband’s government. One last question: Why should delegates choose you over Gina C or Leonard Lawrence?

CLARK: Steady leadership, Mase. The world can be a very cruel, confusing place. People want their government to make smart, solid decisions so that we as a nation can stay the course.

GUMBEL: Indeed. For Joe Clark at the Joppa Convention Center, this is Mase Gumbel, Andromeda News Network.

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Andromeda News Network
Joppa Convention Center
Joppa, Allied State
Wednesday, August 28, 2030
Noon

Sixteen years ago, at age 24, Gina Castiglione became both the youngest person to be elected a state Governor and one of the first Social Democrats to be elected a State Governor. Gina C still holds the record for being the youngest State Governor in history.

Four years ago, Gina C was elected to the Assembly of the Allied States. Two years ago, Gina C nearly won the Social Democratic nomination for President. This year, she is the front-runner for the leadership of the Social Democratic Party.

Although she is exceptionally popular among party activists, her position has waned among the 200 party delegates. Many of them are suspicious, believing that Gina C was behind the assassination of Vaughn Dunlap. There are also rumors that her husband, Owen Madden, has a whole separate family in Angeles City. Mase Gumbel interviews Gina C.

Gina Castiglione, Vice President of the Allied States and Assemblywoman from Angeles City, served as Governor of Angeles City for 12 years.

GUMBEL: So, how is the campaign going?

GINA C: I think it’s going well. The support we have felt throughout the Archipelago is amazing.

GUMBEL: You’re on the verge of winning the Social Democratic leadership. What do you think of the timing of different rumors about you and Governor Madden?

Owen Madden, Assemblyman from Angeles City, served as Governor from 2026 to 2028.

GINA C: I can appreciate the timing of these so-called revelations from the Conservative Party. It’s clear to me and to most of the party faithful that these rumors were specifically timed to make us look bad. Unfortunately, there are elements within the Conservative Party that have no problem with this sort of dirty politics.

GUMBEL: So, you don’t feel the need to acknowledge these rumors with a response?

GINA C: No, Mase. Our campaign isn’t about mudslinging. The Conservatives can play games like that because they have been out of Government for so long.

GUMBEL: Okay, let’s talk about one of your chief issues: Universal Health Care. Some of your critics in Angeles City claim that there are some who have taken advantage of the system in Angeles City while the rest pay for the poor choices of a few moochers.

Gina C didn’t expect such a serious question.

GINA C: When a state government goes through such a big change, there is bound to be criticism and there are bound to be problems with the system, but if you knew about the poverty that existed in certain corners of Angeles City before we had Health Care, you could understand why so many of us felt the need for a Health Care system.

GUMBEL: And you think there should be basic health care for everyone, even if there is some abuse?

GINA C: Mase, I grew up in a good family and a good neighborhood. Not everyone in the Allied States can say that. I personally think that those of us who have been fortunate should give a helping hand to those who have been less fortunate. The system in Angeles City isn’t perfect, but it’s better than what we had before. Why can’t the whole country benefit?

GUMBEL: The whole country could in a few months. With Vice President Gina Castiglione in Joppa, this is Mase Gumbel, with Andromeda News Network.

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:14 pm

The Flamingo Hotel
Joppa, Allied State
Wednesday, August 28, 2030
11:00 pm

Tomorrow, there will be both nominations and roll call. The new leader of the Social Democrats will be chosen tomorrow. There are three gentlemen sitting in the Flamingo Hotel’s Presidential Suite: Former President Louis Sinclair, Chancellor of the University of Joppa; Joe Napoli, the long time Governor of Joppa State and World Assembly Police Officer Tim Rooks.

Napoli and Sinclair are two of the Party’s elder statesmen. They are concerned about the Party’s prospects in the next election. They know that there is information about Gina Castiglione and Owen Madden that would ruin the Party’s chances in the 2030 election if it ever became public.

NAPOLI: She’s late. Who does she think she is?

Joe Napoli, long time Governor of Joppa, helps Gina C to face the music.

Napoli turns to the former President, who is calmly drinking a martini. Officer Rooks sits in a corner, looking over some of the information.

SINCLAIR: Relax, Joe. She still thinks she’s in campaign mode. Give her about ten minutes. After that, you can start getting worked up.

NAPOLI: She thinks we got nothing better to do than wait on…

The door opens. Gina Castiglione walks in alone. There’s an, empty chair at a coffee table. Joe Napoli and Louis Sinclair shake hands and invite her to sit down.

NAPOLI: Ms. Castiglione, we have a problem. We have a huge problem.

Gina C looks at Joe Napoli, who’s much shorter than she is.

GINA C: So, what’s the problem, Joe?

NAPOLI: There’s information out there that could make you and Owen look real bad. If you’re the Party’s nominee, this information could be detrimental to both you and the Party.

GINA C: Those are just rumors.

NAPOLI: Detective Rooks, come show the Vice President the file.

Tim Rooks, a detective with the World Assembly Territory’s Police Department, has the information needed to destroy Gina C’s campaign.

Detective Rooks brings the file.

NAPOLI: Detective Rooks here, along with others in the World Assembly’s Police Department, have connected the dots. The evidence in this file proves that you were a co-conspirator in the assassination of President Vaughn Dunlap.

Gina C looks at Joe Napoli as if he were an insect. Louis Sinclair finally stands up.

SINCLAIR: Ms. Castiglione. This is uncomfortable for us to say, but your career as an elected official is over. It’s just a matter of how you want it to play out. You have two choices.

Former President Louis Sinclair, the Party’s elder statesman, explains how things will play out for Gina C.

Napoli pulls out a cigar and lights it as Sinclair explains.

SINCLAIR: Option #1: You politely decline any requests for nomination. Once the election is over, the new President quietly appoints you to a position in the Civil Service, preferably a diplomatic post.

NAPOLI: Ambassador to Fly-specki-stan or some shit.

SINCLAIR: And either Joe Clark or Leonard Lawrence leads the party to victory in November.

GINA C: And if I refuse Option #1?

NAPOLI: Between now and noon tomorrow, your reputation gets shit on so bad that your own husband will move in with that jelly-doughnut-eating mistress of his.

SINCLAIR: Leonard Lawrence or Joe Clark leads us through a brutal campaign to a narrow, ugly win in November.

Gina C knows that it’s over. She regains her composure.

GINA C: It’ll be a rich country? Somewhere interesting? Somewhere you can find on a map?

Napoli smiles.

SINCLAIR: I’ll talk to Roland. We’ll see what we can do.

GINA C: And the information in that folder?

Napoli holds up his cigar and the file.

NAPOLI: We destroy the folder.

Gina C stands up.

GINA C: We understand each other. Gentlemen.

Gina C leaves. The door closes. Sinclair turns to Napoli.

SINCLAIR: Owen Madden has a mistress?

NAPOLI: And three children.

SINCLAIR: I thought Gina C kept Big O on a short leash. How long have you known about this mistress?

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:49 pm

Joppa Convention Center
Joppa, Allied States
Thursday, August 29, 2030
11:55 am

Officially, there is nothing on the Social Democratic Party’s Conference schedule until noon. Unofficially, the past 90 minutes have been dedicated to the memory of the previous President, Vaughn Dunlap. Dunlap was killed on January 1st, along with a number of other Andromedan officials in Koni.

The main organizer behind this dedication was his widow, Clarissa Hawkins-Dunlap. Mrs. Dunlap served on the Supreme Judiciary Council before her husband became President in November, 2028. Since his death, Mrs. Dunlap replaced her husband in the Assembly. She chaired the partially full convention chamber during the dedication, which included several minutes of footage.

Former First Lady Clarissa Hawkins succeeded her husband in the Assembly. She also served on the Supreme Judiciary Council.

Many other Party officials encouraged Mrs. Dunlap’s efforts, thinking that such a dedication before the day’s proceedings would discourage delegates who were otherwise inclined to support Gina Castiglione. Many people had suspected that Gina C might have had a hand in Dunlap’s death, even if they had no proof. Many of these people also had no problem with either Joe Clark or Leonard Lawrence. There is a serious movement within the Party to keep Gina C from winning the nomination.

Vaughn Dunlap (1971-2030) served as the 10th President of the Allied States

Many convention delegates at the ceremony were surprised to see Gina C herself on the convention floor about 20 minutes ago, greeting the few supporters she had who arrived early for the dedication. To most convention onlookers, Gina C appeared poised for a good Convention fight against her two opponents. Unbeknownst to most of the delegates, Gina C was there for a different purpose.

The ceremony ends at around 12:03, a little late. The television cameras light up and Convention coverage begins. Mrs. Dunlap will preside over the Conference this afternoon as the Party chooses its next nominees for President and Vice President.

DUNLAP: This afternoon, the 2030 Social Democratic Party will choose its nominees for President and Vice President. Nominations are now open for the office of President. First, we will hear from Vice President Gina Castiglione.

The crowd cheers tentatively. They don’t know what’s going on. Traditionally, a candidate doesn’t nominate themselves.

GINA C: For those of us who were here during the previous hour, we all know just how unpredictable life can be. Just a few months ago, our President, Vaughn Dunlap, had his light extinguished by the precariousness that life has to offer.

Gina C pauses.

GINA C: After some soul searching, I found myself facing the same choices that President Dunlap faced two years ago. The differences are that President and Mrs. Dunlap raised their children. Owen and I have a daughter, and I thought about what would happen to her if things Owen or I took an unexpected turn for the worse.

Vice President Gina Castiglione will likely become Andromedan Delegate to the World Assembly once her term ends.

GINA C: I also thought about the other worthy contenders for the Social Democratic leadership. So far, Owen and I have kept our confidence about who we would support. Today, I can say with pride, that I proudly nominate my colleague on the Justice Committee, Joe Clark, for the Social Democratic nomination for President of the Allied States.

A number of delegates, including supporters of Gina C and Joe Clark, are surprised by what just happened. Back stage, Assemblywoman Charlotte Young and Foreign Affairs Minister Roland Tucker decide which of them will second Clark’s nomination.

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:44 pm

Social Democratic Conference
Joppa Convention Center
Joppa, Allied States
Thursday, August 29, 2030
3:00 pm

Once nominations ended, former First Lady Clarissa Hawkins-Dunlap handed the convention gavel over to the current President of the Allied States, Anna Kaewkhonkaen. At 35, Kaewkhonkaen is the youngest President of the Allied States.

Kaewkhonkaen is also several months pregnant. She briefly announced the names of the two candidates to replace her as leader of the Social Democratic Party. Once the roll call begins, she is replaced at the podium by a different party official.

Incumbent President Anna Kaewkhonkaen briefly presided over the Conference during the roll call vote.

Many of the Convention delegates expected to vote for Vice President Gina Castiglione during the roll call vote. Because of this, there was an hour recess before the actual roll call would take place.

Although conventional wisdom would have predicted a narrow win for Joe Clark, the roll call played out. There would be only one roll call vote.

After the final votes were cast, Anna Kaewkhonkaen approached the podium.

KAEWKHONKAEN: The final vote tally: Naval Minister Leonard Lawrence has 77 votes…

Delegates start to cheer. It’s clear that Joe Clark will be the nominee.

KAEWKHONKAEN: Justice Minister Joseph Pollard Clark with 116 votes.

The polite cheers erupt into adulation for the man who will lead them into the next election.

KAEWKHONKAEN: 8 abstentions. The Social Democratic Conference nominates, the next President of the Allied States, Joe Clark.

Joe Clark walks out to the podium, along with his wife, Linda Lee and his three children. Once the crowd calms down, Clark addresses the delegates.

CLARK: Madam President, delegates and friends. For most of the past 15 years, the Social Democratic Party has been at the helm of the ship of state.

Justice Minister Joseph Pollard Clark wins the Social Democratic Party nomination.

CLARK: I feel humbled to join an exclusive club. Sarah Vale, Julia Todd, Mike Knox, Jim Kalla, Louis Sinclair, Vaughn Dunlap, and Anna Kaewkhonkaen all held up the Social Democratic banner before becoming President of the Allied States. I proudly accept the nomination of the Social Democratic Party.

The crowd cheers.

CLARK: I also want to thank Leonard Lawrence for running a spirited campaign.

Clark turns to the President.

CLARK: Madam President, if you don’t mind, I would like to make a recommendation to the delegates this afternoon, in the interest of Party unity.

The President nods.

CLARK: Assemblyman Lawrence, would you come out here please?

Leonard Lawrence comes out with his wife and two children. The President also comes up to the podium.

CLARK: Madam President, I would like to nominate Leonard Lawrence for the office of Vice President of the Allied States.

The crowd cheers. The President takes the podium.

KAEWKHONKAEN: Is there a second?

The crowd yells “second.” Kaewkhonkaen looks around as Foreign Affairs Minister Roland Tucker walks up to the podium.

Navy Minister Leonard Lawrence won the Vice Presidential nomination by acclamation.

TUCKER: Madam President, I move that we close nominations.

KAEWKHONKAEN: Is the motion seconded?

The convention crowd yells “second”

KAEKHONKAEN: Are there any objections?

One person yells “object.” He is ignored.

KAEWKHONKAEN: The Social Democratic Party has hereby nominated Leonard Lawrence as our nominee for Vice President of the Allied States.

Joe Clark continues his speech, espousing the virtues of Social Democratic government in the Allied States.
Last edited by The Andromeda Islands on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:15 pm

THE NEW FACES OF ANDROMEDAN CONSERVATISM
Andromeda Conservative Media
Online Edition
Monday, September 23, 2030

During the 30-year history of the Allied States of the Andromeda Archipelago, the Conservative Party has controlled government for about 8 months. The only Conservative to serve as President of the Allied States, Randy Godwin, was forced out of office in July, 2015. His replacement, Sarah Vale, was the first of eight Social Democrats to serve as President.

In just under two months, the Allied States will have another election. This time, the Conservatives plan to win. In order to win, the Conservative Party needs coordination between Andromeda Conservative Media in St. Paul, the national headquarters in Andromeda City and the local campaigns.

Andromeda Conservative Media has done their part by installing a new CEO dedicated to promoting personal freedom and a growing business climate. Conrad Green III has dedicated himself to promoting the Conservative Party to a younger audience.

Green has asked the talent of Andromeda Conservative Media to promote a specific agenda, which includes a partnership between Government and business as well as an agenda of personal freedom. Green has also set aside $30,000,000 of his own money to help fund the Conservative cause.

Among the Conservative Assembly candidates in this cycle is Athena Coleman, perhaps the most popular politician in Palermo State. Governor Coleman led the Conservatives to a majority on the Palermo State Government two years ago. With 10 of 18 seats, the Conservatives elected Coleman the first Conservative Governor in more than a dozen years.

Palermo Governor Athena Coleman, a candidate for the Assembly, is also coordinating a nationwide effort to recruit Conservative candidates.

Governor Coleman and the Conservatives won in Palermo State despite national trends that swung in favor of the Social Democrats and the Greens. The Conservatives also won despite being outspent at the State level.

“If you want to win a political campaign in our country, you have to meet the voters,” Coleman said. “Money is no substitute for meeting the people.”

Coleman is running for the Assembly in Palermo’s Old Town District, which includes Old Palermo. Old Town is an open district. The incumbent Assemblyman, a Social Democrat, decided against running against the highly popular Governor.

“Currently, I don’t have an opponent in my Assembly race,” Coleman said.

Coleman will also coordinate a nationwide effort to make sure that Conservatives back a candidate in all 201 districts.

One of the more problematic developments for the Conservative Party two years ago was the Richmond-Bellevue race in Syracuse. The Conservative candidate, Alex Holmes, tied with Green candidate Peter Fresco. In the end, the Syracuse State Council decided that Pete Fresco would go to Andromeda City, even as more than 60% of voters in that district voted for other candidates.

The Conservative candidate in that race, Alex Holmes, decided to make a second run for the Assembly. This time, he would run in his new home district in Andromeda City.

Alex Holmes, A popular ACM talk show host, is running a self-financed Assembly campaign in Andromeda City.

“The message had been diluted to such an extent that people in Richmond-Bellevue had no idea who they were supposed to work for.” Holmes said. “I found that I had spent $5,000,000 of my own money on radio ads, and in the end I had nothing to show for it.”

In that race, Alex Holmes and incumbent Assemblyman Ron Hill combined for a majority of the vote. With the current coordination between state parties and the national party, both Alex Holmes and Ron Hill will run for the Assembly from other districts.

“The Flick-Becker district is a much better fit for me,” Holmes said. “With Audra Becker retiring, I should be able to run a decent campaign there.”

Ron Hill, the incumbent Social Democratic Assemblyman in 2028, will also make another run for the Assembly in a different district under a different party mantel. He plans to run for an open seat in Syracuse State as a Conservative.

Former Social Democratic Assemblyman Ron Hill will run for the Assembly in Syracuse as a Conservative.

“The Conservative Party is on the move,” Hill said. “We will win in November.”

One of the men charged by Conrad Green to help Conservative candidates win in November is Chad Rourke. Rourke had managed several Conservative campaigns all over the NationStates Universe.

“There are many young people here in the Andromeda Islands who have never seen the Conservative Party win an election,” Rourke said. “That needs to stop in 2030.”

Rourke, a native of the Emerald Isles, has learned much about running campaigns in both the Emerald Isle and World Assembly Territory.

“Some of the people I know say that it will take at least two years to turn the Andromeda Islands into a Conservative country,” Rourke said. “I disagree! I think it can be done this year. If we are persistent and they are complacent, we will have victory.”

Chad Rourke, special advisor to Conrad Green III, has been raising record amounts of money for the fall campaign.

“A wise Andromedan once said that all politics is local.”
Rourke said. “If we make this a campaign where we compete for every seat, we win.”

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:16 pm

Andromeda News Network
Valois State
Friday, October 11, 2030
Noon

Andromeda News Network reporter Angel Madden reports on the morning of the debate between candidates for the Valois Municipal Assembly seat.

MADDEN: Earlier this morning, Assemblyman David LePetomaine of Valois was arrested along with supporters protesting the arrest of skateboarders on the Valois Municipal Boardwalk last night. According to the LePetomaine campaign, they came to Government center this morning to express their solidarity for local skateboarders.

(cut to LePetomaine)

LePETOMAINE: Instead of being happy about young people getting fresh air and exercising, we have an intrusive government that wants to arrest young people whenever they try to express themselves.

David LePetomaine (I), Assemblyman from Valois, was a controversial professor at the University of Valois.

LePETOMAINE: You don’t see kids being arrested for playing basketball, tennis or swimming. Why this undue focus on skateboarding? You don’t see people arrested for surfing. Is skateboarding that different from surfing?

MADDEN: This evening, LePetomaine, the incumbent Assemblyman, is supposed to debate his two opponents, Valois Chief Prosecutor Cassandra Kelly (Conservative) and Kim Strauss (Social Democrat), who worked for the Ministry of Justice in Andromeda City

KELLY: Most of us who live downtown see David LePetomaine as an embarrassment. He hasn’t authored a single bill in two years. He’s spent as much time in jail cells in Andromeda City and Valois City as he has in the Assembly.

Cassandra Kelly (C), the Chief Prosecutor in Valois State, has helped make Valois one of the safest states in the Archipelago.

MADDEN: Cassandra Kelly, currently the Minister of Justice, has worked to make Valois City perhaps the safest municipality in the Archipelago.

KELLY: We have more than enough areas for skateboarders who want to do their thing. There’s no reason why they have to go into public areas and risk injuring innocent pedestrians. Mr. LePetomaine needs to be reminded that one of the roles of government is to keep people safe.

MADDEN: Social Democratic candidate Kim Strauss, also expressed concern about stunts, but not from skateboarders.

STRAUSS: Casey Kelly and I agree on a few things. One of which is that this demonstration by Assemblyman David LePetomaine is a publicity stunt. The guy finally gets elected two years ago and hasn’t done anything for Valois City.

Kim Strauss (SD) worked in the Andromeda Ministry of Justice under both Gina Castiglione and Joe Clark.

STRAUSS: This isn’t the first time skateboarders have been arrested for fooling around on the boardwalk. Why is LePetomaine so concerned about it now, less than a month before the election?

MADDEN: According to the latest University of Valois polling, Councilman Kelly and Ms. Strauss are virtually tied at 38% with Assemblyman LePetomaine trailing with 18%. With LePetomaine out on bail, tonight’s debate looks to be an exciting affair. Angel Madden, Andromeda News Network.

The Andromeda Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Islands » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:38 pm

Andromeda Civil Liberties Union
Beta City Branch
Saturday, October 12, 2030
8:30 am

Just above the Andromeda Civil Liberties Union Office is the campaign office of Assemblywoman Stephanie Brandt. Brandt also happened to be their chief counsel before winning her Assembly seat two years ago.

Beta City’s Downtown district is by far the most liberal district in the State. It’s also the only one of the eleven Assembly districts represented by a liberal Assembly member.

This morning, Brandt and her friends at the ACLU get ready for a statewide voter registration drive. Before the group would officially meet at 9:00 am, a group of people showed up, wearing t-shirts for a Conservative candidate in a neighboring district. A few of the activists standing in front of the ACLU building get agitated. Brandt comes out of the ACLU office. A few people in the crowd are fighting.

BRANDT: (yelling) STOP! What’s the meaning of all this?

Stephanie Brandt (SD), Assemblywoman from Beta City, won two close races in a relatively Conservative district.

A number of the new faces step forward, led by a tall thin woman that Brandt recognizes.

BRANDT: Mrs. Brown, what are you doing here?

Thelma Evans Brown, in addition to being the wife of Conservative Leader Alonzo Brown, is also a candidate for the Assembly. Brown is running in a neighboring open district.

T. BROWN: We want to campaign alongside you.

BRANDT: You’re seeking the ACLU’s endorsement?

Thelma Evans Brown (C), wife of Conservative Leader Alonzo Brown, is a former teacher and Middle School Administrator. She and Stephanie Brandt would represent neighboring districts.

T. BROWN: Ms. Brandt, I’’ve been on the ACLU board longer than you. Why should I concede the ACLU’s endorsement because I’m a Conservative?

Brandt looks at Mrs. Brown.

BRANDT: Step into my office upstairs.

Ms. Brandt and Mrs. Brown are in the office. Both have shed their campaign personas. Brandt gets a couple of glasses of water.

T. BROWN: So, how are things going on your side?

BRANDT: It’s strange. The Conservative candidate isn’t trying very hard. Georgia Duckett took me down to the wire twice. This guy isn’t giving me a race.

T. BROWN: I’ll let you in on a little secret. He’s jockeying for one of the new seats in Palermo next time around. All he’s looking to do is beat expectations. If he keeps you under 55%, he looks good.

BRANDT: How’s your run?

T. BROWN: It’s an open district that’s heavily Conservative. If your guy gets over 40%, it’ll be a moral victory.

BRANDT: So, why are you here? You know the ACLU won’t run hard against you. What’s up?

T. BROWN: You know, when Alonzo talked about us being a new Conservative Party, he wasn’t just paying lip service. You know where I stand as far as Civil Liberties. I’m asking for their support.

BRANDT: Well, you can’t have MY support, at least not openly.

Thelma Brown is silent.

BRANDT: Personally, I can’t be seen openly endorsing the Conservative candidate in another district, so I’ll have to sit out of the decision making process. Otherwise, there’s a conflict of interest.

T. BROWN: But…

BRANDT: I can’t see why you wouldn’t get the ACLU nod.

Thelma Brown drinks her water.

T. BROWN: You know, Ms. Brandt, the Beta City Government may want to talk to you about the redistricting process next year.

BRANDT: You’re looking to have my district be a bright red speck in a sea of blue?

T. BROWN: It’ll be your red speck, Ms. Brandt.

Brandt gets up from her seat.

BRANDT: Gerrymandering. Instead of competing for eleven seats, each party gets a fixed number. Both Parties would rather fight in five or six districts as opposed to all eleven.

T. BROWN: And I have some influence in this process, Assemblywoman Brandt.

BRANDT: Let’s go marching. It’ll be nice to see you in Andromeda City next month.

T. BROWN: I agree. Let’s go marching.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates