NATION

PASSWORD

Glory to the God Princess: The Celestial War (Closed)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Celestial Empire of Harmony
Secretary

Founded: May 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Glory to the God Princess: The Celestial War (Closed)

Postby Celestial Empire of Harmony » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:02 pm

Palace of the Sun
Harmondorf

By the grace of Celestia’s might, Her Most Holy Sun had begun its descent from the sky, sinking towards the horizon, so that Luna’s Moon might take its place for the night. It’s cooling light would calm the earth, beasts, and trees, granting them a brief respite from the ever present fire of Celesita’s power that served as ever present reminder that the God-Princess of Ponykind was mighty but kind. As the orb of fire sank lower and lower, its last light smeared itself across the land, growing redder and redder until the light streaming through the windows of the Grand Gallery in the Palace of the Sun seemed to fill the massive room with blood. Blood that slowly--but surely--crept up the walls, and submerged the dozens of ponies within until every spot in the room glowed with that dull red. The symbolism of the dusk light was not lost upon the Empress Lieb I von Ossvold, who sat at the head of the table, gazing across her assembled generals, high lords, ladies, and diplomats while they worked to bring her plans to fruition. She had long ago adopted her Imperial face: a calm, blank canvas that she could quickly convert into whatever was most fit for the situation. She was an artist, able to go from her perceived calm to the writhing fury of an Emperor, the girlish laughter of a maiden, or whatever else was needed to further her ends in the moment.

Or, at least, that was what anyone watching her would think. Inside,she would remain as calm as ice, carefully moving every piece into position according to her plan. She was a master at the great game all politicians of the Celestial Empire played, and for the past decade, none had been able to challenge her. Everyone in this room had a role in her game, be it a pawn to be sacrificed, a rook to smash her foes, or a knight to strike from an unexpected angle. Some might even be considered her queens, valuable, beloved, powerful, but even they were meant to be sacrificed if the time came for it. The room was full of the most powerful ponies within the Celestial Empire of Harmony, and Lieb saw nothing but her own pieces in play.

Oh, certainly, some of them though that they were players in their own right, that they might be able to move some of her own pieces against her, but those delusions were useful to her in their own ways. One of them was approaching her now, the Elector of Sudgrenze, the Duke Sol von Hochgarte: an older unicorn stallion, his once black mane streaked grey. The war would be launched from his lands, and he seemed ot have the young Electress of Ebenstadt well in his camp. No doubt, Sol thought he had plenty of authority and power, but every stallion had his weaknesses and Lieb knew what his were.

“Your Imperial Highness,” he said, bowing as he approached her.

“My lord of Sudgrenze!” she said happily beaming at him, playing the innocent maiden for the time being. He no doubt knew of her...proclivities, and this would discomfort him. The slight step back he took was all she needed to know it had worked. “What news do you bring me?”

“Preparations proceed on schedule your grace,” he said, quickly regaining his composure, but Lieb already had seen enough to know how to play him like a flute. “But ah...there are matters I would like to discuss with you.”

“Good, good...” she said, continuing in that cheerful, childish voice. “Please walk with me and tell me of them,” she said, nodding at her guards. “Leave me with him, in the antechamber,” she ordered. “Come along then!” she said, trotting off.

“I...of course, Your Majesty,” he said. He could not well refuse such a direct request from his own Empress, no matter how worried it made him, and as she skipped merrily along, Duke Sol following her Lieb smirked. Any schemes that he might have had were about to come crashing down.

“So, my Lord,” she said, as the door to the meeting room shut and the guards left them alone in the antechamber, still filled with the red light from outside. “What news do you have for me?”

“Forgive me your Majesty, but I can not give you good news,” he said. “Our pegasi report that the Akilans know...and they are ready.”

“Oh?” she said, nonchalantly, admiring a picture. “How unfortunate.”

“Your Majesty, thousands will die. Our attack will fail. I will not send my people to die for no reason,” he said, firmly. “The Electress Celestine agrees with me. We will not permit war to come to our lands.”

“Won’t you now?”

“No,” he said. “And we are not alone. Lutosland worries as well.”

“My dear Duke, you think that I do not know of their fears? And do you think I do not know that they all follow you?”

“Why I--”

“When the Gawdzendian Doom fell on us, those provinces lost most of their lords and nobility. You--Celestia be praised--survived,” Lieb said, turning to smile at him, her face still as innocent as a foals. “I wonder how?”

“I am not sure how relevant that is to any of--” he tried to speak, although Lieb spoke right over him.

“Might it have something to do with you...expeditions to the north?” she asked with a slight giggle to her voice. “All those maids of yours...and you send them into the chaos forests?” she continued.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” he said, backing away from her, but Lieb chased after him, so that she stood staring into his face, her innocent smile turning into a wicked smirk. The red pouring through the windows played across her white fur like blood on snow.

“Of course you don’t,” she said, her breath drifting over her face. “You don’t know about that...secret room back in your palace where you watch what happens to them? Oh...what would your lady wife think! What would the Celestial Priests think!” she said, wistfully, bringing her hoof along his cheek.

“They would hang you out to dry. Your wife. Lutosland. Oh, that little filly who rules Ebenstadt might follow you to the end of her days...but I wonder how long those days are. Until you can find someway to plant someone close to you on her throne?” she asked.

Sol was trembling, despite towering over the Empress. He slowly collapsed back onto his haunches, to look up at her, his eyes full of emotions. ’Now’ Lieb thought as she gazed into those eyes.

“Oh don’t worry my dear!” she said with a laugh. “Your secrets are safe with me...I am always sure to reward my frieds,” she said, as she leaned closer, and kissed his horn gently. He seemed to jump as her lips touched, and trembled. “I reward in all sorts of ways...” she whispered, kissing him on his lips.

“You...you...”

“Me...me...what?” she asked, as she unclasped her cloak, letting it fall to the ground. “I will keep your secrets and reward you handsomely,” she said. “Provided you do as you are bid,” she said, again leaning close to kiss his horn, though this time she let her kiss linger. “Do we have an accord?”

The Duke’s whole body seemed to tremble, and his eyes were closed.

“Yes..yes your Majesty,” he finally whispered.

“Good,” Lieb replied. “Now stand still...” she said, as the last glimpse of Celestia’s red sun flashed through the windows, and the dark took its place.

The outbreak of the Celestial War can be lain on the hooves of one being, and one being alone: the Holy Regent Empress Lieb I von Ossvold of the Celestial Empire of Harmony. Lieb I had always been insecure on her throne, having secured her election only after the death of Emperor Wheathelm IV during what Celestials called ‘the Gawdzendian Doom’, and even then only by a narrowly decided vote of 7-6. The fact that the elector of the Church of Celestia died before she could cast a vote--widely considered to be a vote against Lieb von Ossvold--and the election was held before a replacement could be decided upon cast a great shade of doubt on Lieb’s legitimacy as Empress. A detailed investigation by both the Lightbringers and Nightstalkers could prove no connection between the electors death and Lieb or any of her assosciates, and both inquisitorial orders declared the newly elected Empress ‘free of heresy’, though the Church of Celestia remained suspicious of her, and thier suspicions only grew as Lieb I began to closen relations between the Celestial Empire of Harmony and the Greater Pony Herd. A growing discord in many of the more conservative provinces along with pressure from the Church of Celestia seemed to lead the Empire closer and closer to an open civil war between the Empress, and many of her subjects. Indeed, both sides had begun to marshall military forces, and the High Lady Solar of the Church of Celestia condemned both the Empress and the Lady of the Night for heresy against the will of the God Princess.

However, just as war seemed inevitable, a solution presented itself. The Gawdzendian Doom had left many of the Celestial Empire’s older families suffering from the potential for a complete pedigree collapse, as the number of potential suitors for the surviving nobility had dropped dramatically. Many families began to consider the possibility of marriages with only 1 degree of familial separation. In what is perhaps the most extreme case, the Margrave of Takelwald proposed a marriage between his own children, as almost all potential suitors had died. As a token for their support, Lieb I von Ossvold proposed to remove--by Imperial Edict--the centuries old
Privilegium Nobilitis, which denied the legitimacy of foals born to marriages between the upper (Dukes, Archdukes, etc.) and lower (Count, Margrave, Baron, Knight, etc.) nobility, as well as the foals of any noble-commoner marriage. The proposed repeal would provide the opportunity for many of the families most stringently opposing her claim to the throne to not only expand and secure their dynasties, but also allow for a great deal of hard currency from wealthy merchants and other commoners to enter their pockets. Although some opposition remained to the repeal, the deal was accepted by the overwhelming majority of nobles at the Diet of Opestadt, although Lieb I was forced to forfeit many of the territories she had claimed for the Imperial Crown by Right of Devolution after the Gawdzendian Doom. However, the results of the Diet also presented a significant challenge to the future stability of the Empire.

The Diet had significantly strengthened many noble houses, providing them both with secure heirs, indivisible lands, and--in some cases--caused lands long divided between two branches to be reunited under one being. Making the situation even more tense, many of the marriage alliances that had kept the great houses of the Empire in relative peace with one another had either been destroyed by the Doom or forsaken for more tempting marriages after the Diet of Opestadt. Only five months after the Diet had spoken, a full scale armed clash occurred between the armies of Herzland and Lutosland over rights to the roads and trade rights of Lutoburg. The Battle of the Amber Ford as it was later known resulted in defeat for the Lutoslanders and soon enough, Lutosburg was besieged by Herzland, and the Herzlanders were beginning to demand the entire city be ceded. Only the appearance of the Empress, with the Imperial Army put an end to the battle, and the crisis was--temporarily--averted. However, the situation became increasingly unstable, and to many observers across all Poneria, it seemed that the Celestial Empire was about to fall--once again--into civil war.

The perception proved almost as damaging as the war that eventually broke out, as foreign businesses began to shy away from the Empire and foreign investment slowed to a trickle. The drying up of the capital stream from abroad put a further crimp on the Empire, as Lieb had borrowed heavily in order to fund a campaign of reform and centralisation across the Empire. To those within the Imperial Circle at Harmmonsdorf it became increasingly clear that drastic action was needed. The Electors and Princes of the Empire needed to be brought to heel, and--potentially-- have their power broken for good. New resources needed to be acquired and sources of income found in order to finance Lieb’s ambitions of a Celestial Empire united under her and her alone. Most importantly, the solution needed to be found soon, before some other crisis could erupt; one that would not be so easy to diffuse and before the financial situation became impossible to escape from.

Soon enough, a solution began to form in the halls of power in Harmmondorf. From the Palace of the Sun, the eyes of Lieb I von Ossvold and her Court turned across the Nordernte River to the Marshite Colony of Akila. With the Holy Marsh in civil war, the colony’s overlord was distracted, and Akila was weakly defended in its own right. More importantly, it was rich with vast resources and ponies who could be brought into the Empire as new provinces whose taxed wealth and trade would feed the necessary capital to the Imperial coffers. To the more cynical minded, a massive war--properly fought--would allow the Empress to bleed away the military strength of the noble houses, leaving them to weak to properly resist the Empress’s campaing of reform which was to follow. Soon enough, a decision was made. A coalition of southern lords, briefly led by Duke Sol of Sudengrenze publically opposed the war, but it soon collapsed when the Duke personally began to marshal his forces along the Akilan border. Diplomacy tried to assert itself, as the massive Celestial preparations did not go unnoticed, but they seemed fruitless. Across the continent and region, billions of beings held their breath...and waited.
Factbook
This nation is a puppet of Lubyak

Marshite Ponies
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 03, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Marshite Ponies » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:41 pm

What had started with a whimper of annoyance and a neigh of contempt was about to end with the sound of rockets and cannon, and Applejack did not know what to do.

"Are we prepared for this?"

It had happened so fast and so slowly at the same time that it was like looking at a car crash. You stared at it as it developed an wanted to scream out and prevent it from happening, but by the time the words formed the crash had already claimed a life. You were so helpless, unable to do anything even if every fiber of your heart screamed and strained and begged for the release of safety and peace. That shouldn't have been the case. She was supposed to be a powerful mare now who had the will and the power of a nation behind her but once more fate had humbled her. She was just as powerless as ever to stop the tide but this time it was no mere image and every decision she would make would sign the death warrants of another living being. As somepony of the Faith that was something she was prepared for. As a pony, it felt abhorrent. As Applejack, it felt as if the weight of the world slithered onto her shoulders and clamped her down.

If only she was a soldier. Damn her for thinking that, for what was about to come down on top of those on the ground was not anything to be glib about. But at the very least sje wouldn't have the weight of millions of lives hanging above her every decision like the sword hung above the head. Shoot, move, gallop if you needed, support the flanks and put your enemy down. She knew how to do that. Hell, she had done it a few times and if she was younger mare she would be out there again. But now she had to reconcile her sense of hopelessness with the cold hard fact that she was the most powerful mare in all of Akila. What did that mean if she was powerless to avoid war? Did it all come down on her as she had feared in her fever dreams? Were the accusations true? They couldn't be, but doubting yourself as the what may have been the last peaceful sunset of your life was blood red on the dawn of war was a bad position to be in for any mare.

The light that was dying slowly drew roughly and ugly, spreading across the second story meeting room glumly and basking her and her military council in a dark form of discontented light. She wondered if her enemy felt the same as she felt when she stared at the sun but thought better of trying to reconcile sanity with insanity. The Empress was cold and cruel and pushed her nation towards a destructive conflict for material gain. She masked it with religious fervor and glory and all that nonsense but if Akila was poor in resources the Empress would be poor in the will to wage war. No, they didn't look at the sun the same this night, Applejack was sure of it. Nor were thy surrounded by the same help. For all of the political infighting in the Empire Applejack wasn't sure it gave the Empress anypony competent in military affairs. On the other hoof, while Applejack wouldn't claim the quality of officers that the colonial masters claimed, she did know everypony that was in this room was the best her nation could offer. If they couldn't save the nation from destruction, nopony could.

Serpentine was her Commandant of Arms, the highest military official in the land. Unlike the others she had placed into the field Applejack had kept Serpentine close at hoof. She was the newest addition to the staff and the highest ranked pony general in the Theocracy's military in more than three hundred years. While she had simply been a Militia general and not a front-line combat general, nopony in Akila had nearly a tenth the capability of handling logistics. She was a genius in a field where Akilans needed legends. Hopefully she would suffice. In any case, her news had never been good since the war clouds had started to gather after that combative accusation on Founding Day. Applejack couldn't have known when she sold all those weapons of war and ammunition that soon enough it would all be needed. It made sense at the time. Hindsight was twenty twenty and hindsight was a bitch. The meeting had already been going for more than an hour and a half and it was reaching the point where Applejack's mind was turning on itself.

"No, we are not. We are as prepared as we may be logistically but simply put we cannot defeat them the way we are currently arrayed, Regent," Serpentine replied, her cool demeanor almost mythic among her peers. Troubling then that her voice had the slightest tremble to it. Applejack rubbed the back of her neck as her strained muscles reacted weakly to provocation. She hadn't gotten enough sleep to deal with it all and her body noted this poorly on whatever internal record it kept on her decision-making. Decision-making. Decision-making. Dear Granny, decisions. What was she going to do?

"Ah, so, that's what it is?" Applejack sighed, shaking her head and wishing for her hat, "but Ah reckon we're too far gona ta do anythin' other than fight, right?" She asked, turning her head to meet the bull of the newly created Akilan Intelligence Service, Cloudy Water. It was true. Too much had happened so far and every day the confirmation grew. It was a foregone conclusion.

"Yes. Our last pass-over was an hour ago. The southern lands under Duke Hochgarte and his compatriots were the last to mobilize, but mobilize all the same they have. Forces from the Empire's north have been moving closer to the border for some time. No reason other than war to do this, and with their latest movements we expect the hammer to fall within twelve hours," he replied as Applejack shook her head. It had really come to this?

"Ah see. What 'bout tha evacuations? Three days enough time?" Applejack asked hopefully and was met with good news for the first time in a long time. It came from the speaker in the table, a rocky voice responding quickly.

"The last civilians in the interior of Fiesta Equestria have been evacuated. Those on the edges heading into the interior of Akila are being evacuated tonight. By six in the morning we expect the city to be cleared," Bucking Stray, Commandant-General of the East, assured his terribly worried Regent. That was good news at least.

"Is everything prepped 'cross the river? What about defense in depth?" Applejack spat out quickly, her mind racing.

"As prepped as they can be, Madame Regent. Our forces are stretched thin along a wide front. We cannot allow them to establish a beachhead anywhere without being overwhelmed everywhere. We've identified twenty of the most likely crossing points and fortified them. We've mined the waters. We have been prepping roads to be destroyed and ordered pegasi contingents to prepare some storms to ruin the landscape and force them down narrow roads should they establish a beachhead. We'll d what we can in the East, Madame Regent," Stray was just superb at making a mare feel good. If only Applejack could feel anything than worry right now.

"What about you, Spear?" Applejack asked immediately. Silence and static for a few seconds before the sound of a burp and a heart laugh before a female voice came on far too loud.

"Yeah! Ditto up here- Yo! B! Give me that!- ditto up here. S'good up here. We'll blast those rejects into pieces and let'm freez- fuck off, B-" she could be heard faintly as she walked away, apparently upset by the drink delivery. Rather than consternation, chuckles were what that earned. Broken Spear was bold, youthful, flippant, and the greatest general Akila had. She was in charge of the mountains and the paths there that could bypass most of Akila and pour into the farmlands in the west. Her soldiers loved her and she loved kicking flank. That gave Applejack a good laugh. At least somepony was in good spirits.

And then Serpertine spoke.
"Politically, I don't see much room for us. Her accusations riled up support across many and while no nation has come out in support of it, few have come out in our defense. The situation is bad," what a downer, as accurate as she was. Applejack turned to say something, but Cloudy Waters raised his hoof to interrupt her.

"Madame Regent, have you slept?"

"What do you mean? Ah mean, Ah know what you mean. A little. Ah'm fine," Applejack defended herself and was cut under by a yawn.

"Heh, I see. Listen, there isn't much you can do. We have intelligence assets in the air and on the ground. Our forces are deployed. The ponies are being evacuated. events are being set in motion and right now, until that hammer falls, there isn't anything you can do. You've helped develop sound strategy. You have to trust us to act on it, Madame Regent. Go get some sleep," Cloudy said quickly and ended softly, Serperntine nodding in agreement. They were both right, Applejack knew it. She had slept very little lately and was a bundle of nerves. She chuckled.

"Yeah, yeah, that's true Ah suppose...all tha same, Ah wouldn't be able ta sleep knowing whats comin'," she replied lowly before Serpentine gave an unimpressed harumph.

"I'll put you to sleep, Madame Regent," she said coldly and despite it being her form of humor, Applejack didn't want to know what form of sleep she meant. The regent rolled her shoulders and yawned heavily again.

"Yer always helpful, Serpentine. Alright, Ah'll get some sleep...move our equipment into tha bunker. Ah don't think we'll be meeting 'ere again," Applejack stated matter of factly before nodding to her attendants, "Ah'll be in the mistress' bedroom. If anything happens and Ah'm not up, get me. This meeting is adjourned," she said and trotted out as her staff exited slowly- so slowly, in fact, that Serpentine had time to take the attention of those involved. Still seating, she cleared her throat. Everypony stayed.

"Our Regent is a troubled mind. She will need her sleep and a schedule to maintain a sound mind. Healthy diet, exercise, and eight hours of sleep no matter what happens. I will shoot anypony found in violation of this- personally, if I must. You may now leave."

-----------------------------------------------

The fire that would burn Akila to the ground was once a small ember of diplomatic backlash that was considered sensationalist and madness by a good majority of the world. The Empress of the Celestial Empire accused the Regent of Akila, Applejack, of being an imposter of the real Element of Honesty, an important figure in the popular Harmonist religion. This accusation held little water internationally aside from some select madponies, but it damaged ties with the poison of uncertainty just enough to isolate the new nation from immediate aid. Whether this was the honest belief of the Empress or a strategy to mobilize her fanatical citizenry and isolate her target internationally is still debated. What is not up for debate is the horror that would be inflicted on both nations as a result of it, and the bloodshed that even into the future effects the ground upon which the battles would be fought.

Akila for its part was wholly unprepared for war, at least to the degree that it would have liked. It was only recently declared a new nation after having been a colony of the Grand Theocracy of the Holy Marsh for more than thirty years. Undergoing an immediate economic crisis as the colonial master ad main financier devolved into a massive civil war, the Republic of Akila found itself with a large deficit. Regent Applejack who was a war hero in her own right saw that the military budget of Akila was extremely large for the size of the nation and where it was in the world, which was relatively peaceful. Not only was the budget slashed considerably, but Akila sold tens of thousands of pieces of armor and other heavy duty military equipment in an effort to reduce its size and make some money. This worked to a certain extent- along with other reforms the economy was stabilized- but left the military in a under-equipped state. This state in particular would go a long way to understanding the events that followed.

When the Founding Day celebrations at the Regent's Residence ended, accusations from the Empire flew and from there the marh to war began. Diplomats of the two nations held several meetings trying to defuse tension, but the military buildup in the Empire was not a secret to anypony. Akilan intelligence assets still had access to Damocles, and as a result the Empire's movements were known by the moment. Drones, satellites, and ground intelligence from within the Empire all came together to offer a clear picture that they were on the way to war. The unguarded communications network of the Empire provided no hint of a let-up, though it did give the Akilans a certain knowledge of the political in-fighting that until near the very start of the war created a small possibility of peace.

But the Akilan nation was preparing itself for war in any case the best it could do. Cities along the border were evacuated with villages up to twenty miles of the border being within conceivable range of the opening gambits. As the majority of the population was being evacuated, dozens of roads were prepped for destruction by Akilan engineers. Pegasi weather teams drilled to create fierce storms to render the countryside useless for trouble. Self-Healing Minefields were deployed at strategic cross-roads in depth to deny access while the air force flew constant patrols near the border. The river was fortified at ten different locations that intelligence assets believed were the most likely to be crossed the heaviest and indeed it would make sense- these locations were the shortest. Ground forces built whatever fortifications they could over several weeks, helped by construction vehicles and civilians who wanted to help. Quickly made bunkers with machine gun and mortars ringed with sandbags and barbed wire were placed on bluffs and cliffs overlooking the crossing while mines in the water and on the beach made landing difficult. Such immobile targets would be easy prey, but it was here that the largest collection of LY300 Manticores and heavy artillery were planted, ready to deploy their devastating firepower to neutralize opposing artillery.

Outside of these areas, the majority of the river was not defended by forces stationed along the beaches themselves. Instead, mobile forces were tasked with using intelligence information to move from hot point to hot point while a heavier degree of air support was made available to them. In the city of Fiesta Equestria, a small but elite regiment of Rangers was tasked with holding the city along the narrow points while the Akilan Amrines and Riverrine guard aided in the defense, the Guard themselves deploying en masse in their riverrine combat vessels along the whole river. Armed with Wasp-class vessels, their attacks would be important to a sustained defensive by eliminating large groups of enemy crossing vessels at a time.

In the north, Unicornia was similarly evacuated. Unlike the other locations where the roads had yet to be destroyed by the start of the war, General Broken Spear had already ordered the destruction of a full quarter of the area's roadways and prepped every road but one for multi-tiered destruction. The Empire's forces would find their enemy well-dug in and prepared to fight. The real question that hung on the lips of most observers was, “how long?”

They were about to find out.
Member of the Romani-Marshite Union.
Marshite Ponies is ranked 1st in Borealias for Largest Defense Forces.

Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Celestial Empire of Harmony » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:37 am

153rd Kauffsland Regiment of Wing
Opposite Fiesta Equestria

The lights of Fiesta Equestria glared across the river, defiling Luna’s night with unnatural light. Corporal Fair Winds stared back of them, her eyes filled with disgust and hatred. The Akilans were thralls. The Empress had made it clear that they were fountains of blasphemy and sacrilege, what with their enshrinement of a changeling forgery of an Element of Harmony as their leader. A Crusade of Celestia’s Light to purge the filth and deliver the gift of truth to those who remained was too kind, Fair Winds thought as she shifted anxiously on Sudengrenze side of the Nordernte River. Her captain was pacing back and forth in front of the assembled company, honoured by being the first to take flight over the river and land in Fiesta Equestria. The captain’s sword clapped against his flank as the dark grey pegasus turned back to gaze towards the lights, gently swinging his rifle around to a combat stance. Without a word, his wings spread, and he began to lift ever so gently off the ground. Almost as one, the rest of the regiment followed, rising like a feather caught in an updraft, though the glints of polished steel in the moonlight challenged that image. Raising a hoof in the universal symbol, the whole formation came to a halt, while the Captain turned about to gaze down upon them all.

“Warriors of Kauffland!” he cried, with a glorious response of cheers answering him back. “We have been selected to have the honour of leading the Crusade! We will cross the river, and storm their city before they even know we are aloft!” he continued, with the same cheer answering back. “When the earthers and unis come across, they will cross with us waiting for them, and seeing our banner hung over the city! For the Empress! For Celestia” he cried, and with a single flap accelerated out over the Nordernte.

Fair Winds followed, her cutlass drawn, and carbine armed. She roared along with the rest of her regiment as the cold night wind rippled through her fur and feathers. All around her, other ponies soared, a glorious tapestry of every colour imaginables rushing to war beneath Luna’s moon. Ahead of her, the lights of Fiesta Equestria grew bigger and brighter; with a feral predatory grin, she drew her sword, ready to fall upon whatever enemy dared present themselves first. With a slight cock of her head, she noticed that some of the lights seemed to be growing bigger more quickly than she was flying. At first she thought nothing of it, until a roar ripped through her ears. Pain erupted from her legs, flank, and wings as she plunged down. Looking around, she saw bright flashes all around her, and roars so loud she could hardly hear the screams of her fellow ponies.

The cold embrace of water greeted her, and soon came the smothering darkness.

Once the disparate political structure of the Celestial Empire had been brought to heel by Empress von Ossvold’s politicking, the stage was set for the onset of Case White, as the invasion of Akila had been codenamed by the Imperial General Staff. Many in the General Staff had aired concerns on the feasibility of the attack. Led by Field Marshal Celestine von Oberwald, they protested that the Akilan advantages in terms of quality of equipment and beings were too great for Celestial forces to overcome without massive casualties on the Celestial side. In a famous speech in front of these Empress, von Oberwald declared that the only way the Celestials would only achieve victory by drowning the Akilans in a sea of Celestial blood. Empress von Ossvold dismissed her protests, and ordered the Field Marshal to continue her campaign planning. von Oberwald did as she was bid and soon, a plan took shape that would play Celestial advantages in numbers and mass to its greatest possible potential, while hopefully compromising Akilan advantages of mobility and quality.

The initial attack would be an airborne strike, utilising the majority of available Regiments of Wing to overleap the Nordernte River, and begin securing key crossing locations for more conventional formation. The same regiments would spot for massed heavy artillery formations that would pin down the mobile Akilan forces, and begin the process of attriting them with the targeted destruction of supply vehicles, command facilities, and other soft targets. Under cover from artillery fire, Celestial regiments of hoof, horn, along with tanks and other mobile units would be able to cross the Nordernte, and begin a push to isolate and destroy Akilan border forces, paving the path for a drive deep into the Akilan heartland, espescially the key territory of ‘the Triangle’, which was the centre of Akilan economic, political, and military power, and it’s capture would mark the defeat of Akila and victory for the Celestial Empire. von Oberwald considered that even with a best case scenario, victory would take at least a month, and would cost near a million lives, not counting the costs of the future occupation.

von Oberwald’s ‘best case’ scenario failed horrifically on the very first day. The initial pegasi attacks were repulsed almost everywhere along the line, and artillery positions found their undirected fire surprisingly ineffective against mobile Akilan forces. The damage was worst in two locations: Fiesta Equestria, and the Xi Mountains. The Xi Mountains were a key part of von Oberwald’s plan, as control of their passes would both prevent any Akilan counter attack into the Empire and to threaten the Akilan’s strategic flank. However, those same mountain passes proved muderous to the initial attacks, with some first wave regiments reduced to the strength of weak battalions in only a few hours. The story was the same at Fiest Equestria. von Oberwald had planned on using the city’s bridges to cross heavy forces, but the urban terrain nearly annihilated the 153rd, 154th, and 201st Kauffland regiments of wing. Artillery retaliation began slowly destroying the city, including the bridges that had made it valuable in the first place.
Factbook

Marshite Ponies
Spokesperson

Postby Marshite Ponies » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:37 pm

Fiesta Equestria

The pre-dawn sky was lit up not by the soft rays of the sun dancing playfully across the sky but by the explosions of anti-air missiles and the rat-tat-tat of gunfire. The Regiment of Wing that had attempted to cross the border did so without any of the surprise they were expecting. Akilan intelligence had expected such a manuever and saw them massing- the moment they crossed and the attack was confirmed, anti-air missiles were fired. They detonated amongst packed groupings of pegasi, blowing them apart wing by wing. Across the landscape, Heart Felt saw the bodies of his pegasi relations fall from the sky in gory messes. Long range sniper fire and rifle fire from below, aimed up at the brave but foolish pegasi who soared above, brought down scores as they attempted to regroup. Akilan pegasi who were armed with BALCOTH targeting systems and dual AHLARs strapped to their backs charged in silent from on high, picking off two or three of the leaderless Celestials at a time before peeling away. Inside of the Empire itself, backup formations of Wing were hit by Akilan aircraft firing burst thermobaric missiles which decimated the packed and fierce formations of pegasi.

It was a beautiful sight for Heart Felt. Leader of the Fiesta Equestrian defenses, Heart Felt had been one of the few who believed that the first attacks would come from the air. Most expected magical intrusions but no, he knew the Celestials. He had been one himself before he had converted some years ago, and it was that event which made him uniquely qualified for this position. Pegasi attacks fit the opening gambit of a nation gone mad a little better than intelligent infiltration. As he watched the Regiments of Wing get massacred in the air mercilessly, he felt a litytle guilty that he was so right. He could only guess that the Wings were forces of high morale and faith who went into this battle with nothing lessthan the full belief of their convictions. They considered victory a birthright. Instead, above Fiesta Equestria, the Regiments were being skaughtered to the last in a futile gesture. How dare Akilans be so good and the Celestial so poor.

But the battle had just begun. From his command headquarters in the former administrative headquarters near the southwestern edge of the city, his intelligence systems barked out the size of the attack incoming. At the same time as the Wings had attacked, the enemy artillery positions had opened up. They were brutally ineffective however, Akilan intelligence having marked their location while Akila's own batteries had been zeroed in and hidden. The moment the first guns opened up from the Celestials the Akilan artillery systems in the city's defensive zone roared back in unison, light and heavy artillery alike firing at angles to ensure that the majority of their shells landed in unison while the Manticores unleashed a hellish barrage. The Regiments of Wing were being slaughtered but the Regiments of Shot fared no better. As quickly as they opened up they were being targeted by brutal counter battery fire, piece after piece being silenced as their fires started to light the growing dawn darker than it should have been. For two hours this shootout continued, the direct engagements few and far in-between as the Celestials attempted to regroup and plan their push across the bridges sans barrage. Finally they got their wish and charged into combat...

"Left flank! Left flank!" shouted Red Red Wine, his sing-songy voice on full throttle roar. Behind him, his squad galloped towards a defensive trench and fortified position near the base of a former convenience store that overlooked Bridge W, the most direct route from the Celestial bastards and the Republic. His squad took cover as another inaccurate artillery blast hit the middle of the road, followed by silence and the sound of more explosions on the Celestial side of the border. Dozens of ponies then started moving once more. His wasn't the only squad moving into position. A whole company shot into buildings or ducked into pre-made mortar positions. His squad jumped into a trench mere feet from the river, raised up in a cement position that stretched across the way five hundred yards in either direction of the bridge entrance. A series of emplaced weapons were quickly manned as potshots from the other side were replied to harshly from positions inside and on top of nearby buildings which overlooked the whole area.

"In position! Red Wing is in position, say again, Red Wing in position, over!"
"Copy that Red Wing this is Blue Dart, also in position."
"Copy that. Battalion strength Foot en route to the bridge. Reaver engagement destroyed seven enemy armoured vehicles and they appear disorganized. ETA to the combat zone 30 seconds. Copy, over."
"Copy that. Red Wing, Blue Wing, take care of those support personnel giving covering fire. Red and Blue Dart, cover that bridge. The Celestials will likely try to force the crossing, over."
"Copy, Mother."
"Copy, Mother."
"Copy, Mother."
"Copy, Mother."

The conversation was swift as the rest of the platoon got into position. Snipers traded fire with snipers, one-sided. The Akilans' BALCOTH targeting and intelligence systems worked so well with the GR-88s that it was only because of volume that the Celestials did anything. A sniper's round crashed into an Akilan and he lay motionless before pulling himself into a trench- Dauntless had stopped the bullet but he had one hell of a bruise! Most of the effective sniper fire was coming from a position that the GR-88s couldn't reach because of the angle. Unwilling to head down from their perches and sacrifice a day;s worth of killing for one or two minutes of the hunt, they called down to Wine's squad.
"Red Wing 1 this is Blue Dart 9, over."
"Copy, this is Red Wing 1."
"Red Wing, can you see that belltower- BALCOTH notice Sixteen-R?"
"Copy, Blue Dart 9."
"We have multiple snipers according to BALCOTH. We don't have an angle on it. Could you do us a solid and lay it out?"
Red Red thought about it.
"Hell yes I can do that. Copy that?"
"Hehe, over and out."

Red Red Wine moved down the trench. Across the river, the Celestials were moving into their own trenchline and exchanging fire as best they could. Dozens and then hundreds of ponies seemed to dart across the buildings on the other side. Some were taken out by artillery or gunfire but for every one that fell twenty showed up. The attack as soon. Red Red Wine moved down the trench line until he could see the belltower. BALCOTH helped judge the distance and then put in a firing solution as his SAGL perked up on his back. The system suggested a thermobaric grenade and he assented, a few seconds going by before he was ready to fire. Then after a few seconds more when he arced it correctly BALCOTH gave a green light- the shot would hit under present conditions. He fired, the recoil of the SAGL pulling him backwards. Nonetheless, a few seconds later the belltower's top exploded in fiery brilliance, the thermobaric shockwave cascading all around and causing a massive structural collapse. A quick shot snapped off of the cement close to him and brought him back to the closer fight. He ducked and BALCOTH switched the rounds to airburst. These bastards want to play, they can play with somepony else! BALCOTH detected the squad directly opposite him. They were simply one of many who were filtering into the opposing trench line. By now he estimated that a hundred or so living Celestials were across from his platoon, his ponies. More were coming in but the casualty rate was immense. Time to make it even worse. BALCOTH linked through his other platoon mates and gave him a solution for not one but six shots with his SAGL, each one air-bursting over the enemy trenches.

So he stood up and fired, aiming after each one to the precise coordinates. Six 25mm airbursting fragmentation grenades then detonated above the trenchline, joined in by two other SAGLs opening up and doing the same. The entire enemy trench opposite Red Wing was covered within moments by cover-mocking fragmentation, reducing the enemy trenches to the dead or dying. Celestials that now thought btter about jumping into the trenches were caught out in the open and taken down my machinegun and rifle fire. On both sides of the bridge this slaughter continued until dozens of smoke grenades went off on the bridge and on the inside of the Celestial border. A massive roar filled the sky and the sounds of hundreds of ponies galloping filled the already noisy sky. Red Red Wine could swear he saw the flash of bayonets somewhere inside the smoke, but he didn't have to wait for long. BALCOTH cut through the smoke and confirmed what was already known- the enemy was planning to charge over the bridge. Sadly for them, smoke wa sno cover against BALCOTH. They were charging straight into a steel storm.
"Red Dart, Blue Dart- engage!"

-------------------------------------

The Regiments of Wing that started the war barely made it through the first hour, the same as could be said for the Regiments of Shot near the front. Akilan satellite intelligence and drone assets had kept a close tabs on the Celestials as they made their way to war and when the final march to the front began, the Akilans were fully aware of when and where the Celestials would strike. The Regiments of Wing were countered with heavy anti-air gunfire, missiles, aircraft, and pegasi teams from Akila herself. At no point at this stage of the conflict did the Wing play a useful role- it would be several more days before a new and more important use would be found for them. Regiments of Shot fared no batter. Their battery fire had started uncoordinated and haphazardly and was set upon by a front-wide unified counter-battery engagement. In the opening two hours of combat, Akila lost less than five pieces of armour to more than eight-hundred and sixty pieces alone.

With the artillery bombardment failing, local commanders of the celestial army were put into an impossible position. Many tried to launch attacks across the river but were massacred. Up north, celestial forces penetrated the border easily but found themselves over miles of open ground before the miles and in a devastating minefield. Picked over by GR-88 gunfire, air support, gunfire and artillery they could not respond to, forces opposed too Broken Spear faced a long, hard walk before they could even fire back. Across the length of the river, attacks against fortified positions were repulsed while mobile forces smashed the few survivors of the Wings that made landfall. The main bulk of the Celestial army had yet to engage but already they had cause for concern.

In the first few hours of combat, the Akilans felt nothing but success and as the ponies of the world woke up to the news of war, they woke up to the images of hundreds of Celestial vehicles burning and the falling forms of shattered pegasi.
The war was now hot.
Last edited by Marshite Ponies on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legokiller
Senator

Founded: Jan 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Legokiller » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:45 pm

Recipient(s): Open letter to the world
Encryption: Code - Level 0

Sender(s):Foreign Minster Snow Berry
Subject: United Pony States Action Regarding Akila-Celestial War

Dear members of the international community,

We the people of the United Pony States of Legokiller wish to announce to every nations here to involve in the negotiations of the Akilan-Celestial conflict, and to the international community on our position over the conflict. Upon examination of the appearance of the Marshite Applejack, it’s indeed not the same one that many ponies across the world know, and is officially a doppelganger. Although her honesty with the evidences from the Marshite church and records scratches any pretends of claims on being an imposter, which implies that her goal was to take the Bearer of Honesty’s entire life, this Applejack grew up in Holy Marsh and came here to support the people of Akila. Indeed, there’s economical down time in Akila, not helping with the imperialist actions of Celestial Empire of Harmony that will use their fanatically to assault their lands.

Thus, the United Pony States will defend the former Marshite colony of Akila against the expansionist of Celestial Empire of Harmony. As of now, the United Pony States will be at war until an agreement with the Celestials on a peaceful treaty with the Akilans is made. Furthermore, the United Pony States will actively conduct humanitarian aid and open our borders for the Akilan refugees, We hope to supply many of them an adequate amount of aid, sufficient refuges across the country, and volunteer families allowing them to stay.

Sincerely

Ambassador Lola kimura of Hobbiest Republic, Courtesan Diplomat
Flankfurt am Mane, The Herd
Room of the Akilan Ambassador, Crisis Conference

In her eyes, Lola Kimura believe she was entering a shouting match between rival fans of a bar, watching the events of the game unfold, in between blander who’s going to win and insults passing around the room. That was the conference, a stunning beauty as the eyes of the Legokiller saw, mixed into the fact of the news coverage on the TV showing the brutality of the war. It was unbelievable. Many unmodernized, backwards, and drafted Celestial soldiers being sent to their sure death in the hooves of the Akilan soldiers. Soon, her people have to bring the sword of death upon the Celestials, and turning the river red with many of their fallen comrades. ”Will these Celestials will even send a pony that will take reason over zealotry?”

The question remained in the uniformed black suited human carrying a courier bag, with a grey tie and a short skirt making the suit’s color. The Herd and the Celestial Empire of harmony seems to have a close relationship, but in her relief, the Herdite delegate herself was Twilight Sparkle. She seems to be researching, a lot, on the subject of the current situations of the war. If the conference goes smoothly enough, and get the Herd in a positive or neutral view towards Legokiller’s position on the defense of Akila, and assist the Akilan ambassador himself, the war will become favorable. Maybe even calling off the conflict entirely, but it might seem unlikely.

Lola’s gift for the conference was a 24 package chocolate cupcakes, with white and pink icing, was laid on the table for everyone delight. Everyone seems to be quiet for the time being, so she made a warm smile to the current delegates in the conference, and gestures to the cupcakes, letting them know to grab one as they wish..

All across the United Pony States, many of the selected units of the task force for the defense of Akila. Preparations of the war came with orders to many of the air and naval bases to establish a surplus of supplies for not only the Legokillerans, but also the Akilans. Many of the civilian train to professional soldiers took years in the early years to late adult life to handle many of the sophistical equipment, while the Marshites trained their soldiers at young age to become elite rangers. Even more impressive to the entire armed forces that the militia are taught to be professionals in time of need, and being embarrassing for the Legokilleran civilian militia of the National Guard. With the Akilan cutting-edge of weaponry, the United Pony States’ High Command needed to assist the low supplies in order to hold the line against mass forces of the Celestial Empire of Harmony.

Before the soldiers of Legokiller were send to their transportations of aircraft and ships to Akilan frontlines, many of them give their farewell to the ones they care about. Mothers hugging their young children, sons and daughters saying goodbye to their parents, fathers promising to return to their wives or husbands for some, and for many of them, towards the rest of their friends. How determined will the Celestials fanaticism will last during the course of war is one of the big questions on how long the soldiers will be separated . As with that, the soldiers of Legokiller began to entire their transportation, and the short journey to the frontlines of the war will come soon.

The goal was simple for the first phrase of the war, hold the line long enough until the conclusion of the negotiations. Not only this, the sky itself must be controlled from the Celestials is a must to survive and hold the Nordernte River and Xi mountains. Many of the aivan commanders suggest this to have superiority against the bulks of the Celestial pegasi and their aircraft, and to use the skies at ease. It was a long shot, but the Aeromarines Pegasi and equipped with modern aircraft and drones would do the trick, amongst a few airships squadrons to support. The Legokilleran cargo planes and jet fighters rush to the nearby Akilan airports to arrive just in time before any breaches in the lines happened by the Celestials.
Last edited by Legokiller on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
❄️☃️ Antarctica Wonderland ! ☃️❄️

Silverdale's Factbook! Poi Poi Poi Resurrected! Silverdale News Thread
<Maven>Legokiller's an original "G" with mirrors and changelings before it was cool <AnimeQuote> Taiga Aisaka is Gandhi.

Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Celestial Empire of Harmony » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:20 am

War Room
Palace of the Sun
Harmmondorf

“Damn it all!” Celestine von Oberwald swore as she slammed her hooves against the table again and again. The reports were beginning to filter up from the front, slowed by the fact that many of those meant to issue or deliver said reports were now dead, courtesty of the Akilan’s response. The Field Marshal held her head in her hooves as the aide droned on, listing regiments broken and casualties suffered in a near emotionless tone.

“Shut up! Shut up!” Celestine roared, knocking a glass of wine off the table to shatter on the ground. She watched the red liquid spread on the hardwood floor, her eyes closed. She had told the Empress this would happen. She had tried her best to prevent a war, and failing that tried her best to win it, but her nightmares had come true. She would only get victory by storming the Akilan’s ramparts over a rampe of her own dead. With a long sigh, and her whole body trembling, Celestine raised and locked her eyes with the aide. She could see now that he was but a colt, hardly old enough to join the military. He seemed more terrified of her than of the bloodbath erupting along the Nordernte.

Or maybe he’s afraid I’ll send him there, she thought, shaking her head. “Your report has been appreciated,” she said, forcing her voice into a semblance of professionalism. “I apologise for my outburst Trooper....?”

“Tr..Trooper Hochwald, Sir! Ma’am! My lady!” he replied, jumping to every possible term of respect he could imagine.

“Trooper Hochwald,” Celestine, said, rolling it on her tongue. “Go rest. It must have been a long night for you,” she said, saluting as the colt rushed off, leaving her alone with the collection of fools, syncopaths and yes-men she was loathed to call a ‘General Staff.’

“A minor set back only,” the heir to--no, DUKE of Neiderritter--said. The stallion’s father had been killed attempting to rally a regiment of wing somewhere near Fiesta Equestria the last night. For a child who had just lost his father, the young stallion seemed remarkably happy, despite the black mourning shawl draped over his shoulders.

“We have lost nearly a corp’s worth of ponies in one night! One. Night,” Celestine shot back. “You call that a minor setback?”

“I...I am certain that the young lord only meant to say that we can...can..ac..” the rest of statement was lost in a barrage of hacking coughs as the ancient Count Palatine of Lichtenberg covered his mouth.

“Yes, we can,” Celestine admitted, knowing exactly what he had meant to say. “And soon we will bridge the Nordernte with our own dead,” she said, glaring at the elderly pony. “We must face facts. Fiesta Equestria and the Xi Mountains are lost causes. We must reevaluate our position,” she said, gazing around the room.

Of course none of them said a word. Celestine glared across the room, turning her attention to the map. “Here is how we will proceed,” she said, her horn glowing as pieces began to maneuver on the board, illustrating what she wanted.

The Celestial Army and Air Force had taken horrific casualties on the first night of their attack. In the attack on Fiesta Equestria alone, over a dozen Regiments of Wing were nearly annihilated, with another ten left combat ineffective. Similarly casualties were found amongst the Regiments of Hoof and Shot, and the utter failure of the initial attacks were repeated along the entire front. Casualties were already exceptionally high with tens of thousands dead, with nearly a hundred thousand wounded. While many field commanders signalled their willingness to simply continue throwing regiments into the meatgrinder of Fiesta Equestria and the Xi Mountains, arguing that superior numbers would--eventually--overwhelm the Akilan defences. However, von Oberwald had different intentions for the future of the campaign.

While her initial plan had called for the main attacks to be made on the flanks of the Nordernte Front, the rough terrain in the Xi Mountains and the urbanised space of Fiesta Equestria had proven exceptionally resilient to Celestial tactics. The most successful attacks had been along the mass of the Nordernte River. In some locations, Regiments of Wing had succesfully landed on the Akilan side of the river, however they had been quickly driven off by local counter attacks from Akilan mobile forces. Furthermore, the exceptionally heavy casualties had resulted in the first echelon of forces being completely crippled, requiring a period of reorgnanisation as reserves were brought forward to replace crippled formations for rest and amalgamation in the Celestial rear. However, the pressure on the Akilans could not be allowed to relent, and would have to be maintained, without the high rate of casualties that had accompanied the initial charge--already known to many as the Night of Blood.

von Oberwald’s new plan called for the next Celestia assault to fall upon a wide front, up and down the entire Nordernte River, anchored at either flank by Fiesta Equestria and the Xi Mountains. The open terrain of Nordernte floodplains would enable the greater mass of Celestial forces to be brought to bear, and allow for the rapid attrition of the Akilan’s mobile reserve. The Akilans would also lack the mass to properly oppose a full scale assault without the benefit of terrain, and their holdfasts along the river would eventually be outflanked, isolated, and left to rot. However, until the reorganisation was arranged, a new method of attack had to be arranged while Celestial forces were reorganised.

von Oberwald called for the new attacks to rely heavily on infiltration tactics. The remains of the Wing regiments would be reformed into small raiding forces, striking across at isolated soft targets, and retreating to the Celestial side of the river before retaliation could be brought to bear. More importantly, the rare, valuable, Regiments of Horn and Mage Guard units would be committed, and use their unique skillsets to become an active guerrilla force in Akilan rear areas. Their targets would be--primarily--the Akilan’s artillery and air forces which had proven so disastrous to Celestial forces on the Night of Blood. The hope was that the guerilla warfare and infiltration would serve the purpouse of spreading Akilan forces far and wide across the Nordernte plains, while occasional probing attacks would keep large portions of their forces tied up at both the Xi Mountain passes and Fiesta Equestria, while the second echelon of the Celestial attack was prepared and massed.
Factbook

Marshite Ponies
Spokesperson

Postby Marshite Ponies » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:12 pm

The harried waters of the river splashed aggressively alongside the heavy combat riverrine. Each and every soldier, members of the Riverrine Guard all, were anxious simply for the enemy to put themselves on the water and attempt a crossing. For the first eighteen hours of the war the Celestial forces had done their best to become easy targets for long range artillery and missile fire while certain elements of the Regiments of Wing tried to find the most spectacularly useless ways of offing themselves under the red hot fire of the Akilans across the river. Few enemy forces had dared come within a few miles of the river and as the war dragged on hour by hour, the constantly patrolling Riverrine Guard found their combat vessels increasingly useless.

Things had a habit of changing rudely and quickly, however. Bit by bit Akilan batteries had been forced to slow their fire as their ammunition stockpiles dwindled and the local commanders issued ammunition rations. This allowed the Celestial forces to pull i closer and closer. Finally they reached the banks of the river- and were in the worst position of all. Under the long range and accurate guns of Akilan armor and infantry, Celestial surges towards the river were bloodbaths. But just as with the artillery, the Akilans had to be mindful of the gap. And then the artillery fire stopped- enemy attacks in the rear using mages caught the artillery off-guard. Intelligence indicated that the damage was relatively low seeing as localized aetheral disruptions caused by teleportation could be detected by DAMOCLES and BALCOTH. Artillery defense forces and mobile forces reacted quickly, but the big guns ceased for an hour and the mobile forces were distracted.

What followed was the first major enemy crossing attempts. Remaining Regiments of wing were able to fly over unopposed in some areas, establishing beachheads. Across the river, a huge surge of forces allowed the Celestials to begin constructing berns and banks and other basic defenses. They took epic losses, but the score was tilting as even inaccurate fire to that degree was liable to kill something. On the river, the ARG (Akilan River Guard) Serpentine witnessed the fire in the distance as an Akilan hill fired down below on uncovered Celestial ground. The return fire was massed, and Akilan dead and wounded started to be noted. It didn't matter how many Celestials were being killed, many more charged into place. And as the Celestial artillery, air, wing, mage, and ground forces started to make their numbers felt, across the length of the river reports were filtering in of landing craft in the water. One such report of landing craft massing behind the berns nearby had brought the Serpentine, Bostia, and Leisha to a quarter-mile long crossing some fifty miles north of Fiesta Equestria.

"T-minus thirty seconds!"
"Roger that, Serpentine! We've got anywhere between seventy and eighty amphibious assault craft approaching the bern according to SACHDAT. Bostia, weapons at the load?"
"Weapons loaded and locked, Leisha. Ground team Sector Three, do you have a visual?"
A pause, with the sound of heavy weapons fire crackling throughout.
"Read ARG, copy eighty-three from a total of one-hundred and six. They're breaching soon."
"Copy."

The three craft banked to the right, where they hugged the Celestial side of the bern. Celestials had built up teh earthworks around the riverline that they had a difficult time shooting down, though the scattered small arms fire reminded the ARG vessels to use their speed rather than their nerves of steel to survive the enemy's own steel. After a few more seconds the berns started to blow up as heavy landing craft tried to burst through. Unluckily for many, the 30mm guns of the ARG were already turned. Each vessel had one on top and one onthe front and back of the vessel alongside multiple smaller machineguns. All of these weapons barked furiously up at the craft as they berched, just a round or two enough to make the landing craft burning wrecks as they were shot at the undercarriage. More than a few rolled down in the berns in flames. Still, enough started to hit the water and power towards Akila. The ARG gave chase even as the Celestial side of the river started to pour through the new cracks in the berns, infantry now standing almost directly on the river and firing en masse on the ARG vessels. The small arms fire continued to do little until a lucky bullet ricocheted off of a turret and hit the communications officer of the Leisha in the small, unprotected area near the back of his head. He slumped over his controls, dead.
But for that, the Celestials would pay dearly. A violent three round burst from the autocannons were all that was needed to take care of each landing craft. One after enough, craft sparked and then burst into flames and burnt their desperate occupants alive or exploded and ended their lives quickly. Most simply stopped functioning and started to sink, their occupants tossing off their gear and paddling as they were raked with fifty cal fire. Landing craft after landing craft, body after body, the toll grew higher and higher. But the Celestials were not stupid and the Celestials were also amazingly brave.

"Bostia, report!"
"Serpentine, running half on thirty mil! Continuing to engage, over!" Cracked Rebel Soul, communications officer for the Bostia. He had never really wanted to be the comms officer- not as exciting as the whi-crack of gunfire he had experienced in his youth. But everypony had a role to play and he was no different even in his old age. The Akilan Riverrine Guard weren't as well-experienced as the Navy nor were they of valued age- a little too young, a little too old- but they were Marshites and that counted for something. The crew of the Bostia had been acquitting themselves well in the early going, the thirty millimeter autocannons and fifty caliber machineguns slicing through armour and pony alike with equal and frightening ease. The return fire from the Celestials caused a loud racket. Almost loud enough to cause problems communicating as the whizz-crack of nearby shots pinging off the armour was always distracting.
That whizz-crack of counter-fire explained why Rebel Soul didn't hear their warcry. The first he had any inkling of what was to come was when a dull orange blur motioned in front of his face on the outside of the room, flying just above the deck as it swung a sword. It missed, but hacked directly into the BRG-15 that Sleepy Sky was manning. Sleepy had ducked the blow and sought to return fire but another Wing came by and stuck a sword in him at speed. The two couldn't float as another of the machineguns had turned and belched out their return fire, the two Wings bursting into fountains of gore.
"We've got more coming! Fire in the skies! Fire!" Somepony yelled as every machinegun turned to the skies and started firing on what appeared to be at least a company of Wing diving in towards the Guard.

"This is Riverrine Guard Detachment 11! We are under attack by Regiments of Wing!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Across the whole of the battlespace, a brief period of calm allowed both sides to consolidate to the disadvantage of the Akilan military. For all of the damage the Akilans had caused they were also burning through ammunition at a swift rate. Following several hours of light contact as both sides repositioned themselves, the Akilan artillery corp- the long-range indirect fire support that had so far ruled the battle- were placed on an ammunition ration. This would be a double edged sword for the Akilans. In the long term, this enabled them to fight for longer than they would otherwise. But as would readily become apparent, the overall logistical situation was grim. While Akilans had volunteered en msse once war was declared at local factories and for the military, the expenditure of ammunition was so high that defeat was simply a matter of time.

This was compounded by a sneak attack launched by elite Celestial Battle Mages. They teleported across the line and launched attacks against Akilan artillery batteries. These attacks were not tactically successful in any meaningful sense. The elite Battle Mages were already grievously harmed by the magical teleportation of so many over such a great distance. The forces were lightly armed and operated with no support. Once localized defense forces figured out where the enemy was coming from, light counterattacks were able to smash the intruders. But it was the timing that mattered. While Akilan losses were light, the mages attacked when the remaining Regimets of Wing along with the massive ground forces pushed forward. Finally, Celestial artillery could engage and across the whole of the river mass amphibious crossings took place. the Riverrine Guard played a crucial role, destroying hundreds of landing craft before they could make landfall. Mobile Akilan forces moved from point to point, stretching themselves thin but holding back the Celestials by the narrowest margins. No matter how hard they tried though, cracks had to appear. More than three dozen beachheads were established over the course of the following hours. As Akilan artillery, air, riverrine, and mobile forces responded, the vast majority were routed back into the river and slaughtered. Thefew that were not were battered and nearly broken, contained under withering fire and unable to push even a hundred yards from the river. Still, for every beachhead crushed or contained, another would open up.

Akilan Wings fought Celestial Wings. Akilan Artillery moved and countered the batteries of the Celestials. Riverrine Guard forces launched daring assaults under withering fire and left dozens of landing craft smoking hulks in the river. Akilan tanks launched single vehicle attacks against Celestial beaching companies. Along the whole river, desperate action after desperate action as the tiring Akilans fought well into the twenty-seventh hour of ceaseless combat...

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates