NATION

PASSWORD

Once Upon a Time in Esquarium [DEAD]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

French Guyane
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby French Guyane » Fri May 16, 2014 12:50 pm

Saint-Georges, French Guyane.

French Guyane had an excess of natural resources, something that was abundantly clear in the city of Saint-George. Just fifty years ago the bustling trade centre was just a minor commune but the discovery of gold, lithium and other more common resources quickly started a new mining rush that kickstarted the countries economy and had led to the cities population growing twenty fold in just thirty years. President Alain Alexandre's decision to nationalise any mining deposits and put the profits in the hands of the state was well received by a majority of the population but a minority intent on stealing the profits still occasionally set-up illegal mines in uncharted zones, a cause that the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) feared could be used to fund anti-government militias.

Captain Pascal tipped his head backwards in an attempt to hold onto the contents of his stomach, the soldier grimacing when he noticed the failed attempts of his colleagues to hold down lunch. Saint-George was an advanced city with recently built transport infrastructure but the dense jungle and bad weather quickly meant it soon devolved into an a muddy and bumpy mess once you got into the outskirts.

"Sir. Corporal Jones reports that the mining encampment has been cleared out...he's asking for permission to search the surroundings for any stragglers." Private Gérald asked, the young soldier being given the task of communicating due to the fact he was not unwell.

"We don't have the resources with us at the moment to pursue them and aerial support is too far away to provide any reasonable reconnaissance. We shall just have to hope that military intelligence can coordinate the next strike better." Captain Pascal replied.

The French-Guianese Defence had been deployed for weeks in a stationary role to gather intelligence and stop shipments of illegally mined resources when possible but had recently reinforced by the arrival of Captain Pascal and a company of French-Guianese Legion under his command, an elite light infantry unit with historical ties to the mainland. Despite these reinforcements the government did not possess the resources to maintain intelligence over these camps and many raids often ended without enemy contact.
Last edited by French Guyane on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
President: Alain Alexandre
Finance Minister: Jean-Marc Ayrault

The New Imperia wrote:

Who would have thought the French would know anything about strategy. I applaud you sir

Qianrong
Diplomat

Founded: May 13, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Qianrong » Sun May 18, 2014 2:14 pm

DECLARATION OF THE FREE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF QIANRONG
GIVEN BY ZHENG HYE-JEOU
YUCHENG, QIANRONG - OCTOBER 10, 1927

BACKGROUND: The final King of the Celestial Kingdom of Qianrong abdicated in 1912 following the Great Rebellion(1911-1912). The leaders of the Great Rebellion decided to create a democratic republican government known as the Independent State of Qianrong. However, factionalism, separatism, and corruption led to the Independent State quickly becoming very ineffectual, with the nation largely led by gang leaders and warlords instead of the goverment. In 1922, Zheng Hye-Jeou founded the Nationalist People's Party with himself as it's General Chairman, pledging that, if elected, he would make restoring order his top priority. The NPP used its paramilitary branch, the Front for National Security, to destroy the power of gangs and warlords, and the NPP quickly gained in popularity. However, the Independent State viewed the NPP as a threat and declared it illegal in 1925. In response, the NPP declared the Independent State illegitimate, urging all able-bodied citizens to take up arms against the regime. Because Zheng had made destroying the gangs and warlords his priority and succeeded massively where the government had failed, many citizens joined him. In addition, corruption in the army meant that the morale of the national army was dismal and planning and strategy were poor, with supply shortages being a constant problem. In 1927, after two years of bloody conflict, Zheng Hye-Jeou and the FNS seized Yucheng, the capital. The FNS faced little resistance from the tired, demoralized, and undersupplied government forces. The same day, Zheng declared the foundation of the FDRQ from the National Palace. The Independent State would not surrender for another year, the Capture of Yucheng marked the loss of the Independent State's last chance to win the war.
In the evenings, the Independent State's government would run news broadcasts to try and raise morale while keeping the people informed. Knowing that many nationwide would be listening, Zheng decided to broadcast his speech in the evening. Below is the speech given by Zheng Hye-Jeou declaring the foundation of the Free Democratic Republic on that day.

UNKNOWN FNS MEMBER: His Excellency, the General Chairman of the Nationalist People's Party, Zheng Hye-Jeou, will now address the Qianrongese nation.

ZHENG: My fellow Qianrongese citizens, my comrades in the Nationalist People's Party and the Front for National Security, and all peoples of the world:

Here in Yucheng, it is evening. The sun shines near the horizon, casting a beautiful orange glow over this proud city. The city is largely intact, and there is no gunfire, no artillery. It is serene, in peace, still glorious.

Today is a momentous day: the city has finally been liberated from the incompetent rule of the fools and traitors in the 'independent state'. Now Yucheng shall see the order it so craves, and that the Independent State could provide. Yucheng shall no longer see corruption and crime- problems rampant under the incompetent buffoons who, only a few hours, controlled this town. The soldiers of the Independent State assigned to guard the city have defected to join the Front for National Security, citing the same long list of grievances that we the people have with the Independent State. Poverty. Corruption. Mismanagent. Crime. Indecision. Failure.

The track record of the Independent State is one of total and utter failure. It's history is a guide on how to neglect the citizenry, stagnate the economy, ruin the organ of governance, and sell our future to our neighbors. The Independent State would see us become even weaker, even more divided, ever more dependent on nations like Ainin and Namor. They will sell our future, and run away from the issues. They have run from Yucheng, and they will run away from responsibility and accountability even more unless all we Qianrongese- Minjianese and Tuhaoese alike- unite to stop them. Such has been the goal of the National People's Party. The NPP, under my leadership, has successfully destroyed crime and warlordism in the regions we control. We have alleviated poverty, secured the people's liberty, and provided both order and peace. Since the beginning of our righteous rebellion two years ago, we have seen nothing but success as the Qianrongese people have united behind us.

Today, with the capture of Yucheng, we have further cemented our legitimacy over the nation of Qianrong. We have the people behind us, we have ever more of the military behind us, and at this time we have restored order in an overwhelmingly large section of the country. By contrast, the Independent State is losing more and more of its legitimacy daily. Today, it lost its last shred. The Independent State is no longer the government of Qianrong, and is no longer a legitimate authority- though it never exercised much authority anyways. As such, it falls upon the new leaders of the country- myself and the NPP and the FNS- to create a government to ensure the liberty and security of Qianrong.

Thus, today, I hereby declare the existence of the Free Democratic Republic of Qianrong. Until peace is attained and elections can be held, I shall serve as ad interim Chancellor of the Republic. The legislature of the National People's Party is hereby to serve as the National Assembly of Qianrong. The Front for National Security is now the National Security Force, and will report to a yet-to-be-created Ministry of Defense and Intelligence. The Party Propaganda Committee is henceforth to become the Ministry of Information. There will also be a Ministry of Foreign Affairs, a Ministry of the Interior, and a Ministry of the Economy and the Treasury. We shall also see a judiciary system created so that the people may have the right to justice guaranteed. Within six months, the National Assembly must draft a Constitution for the Republic and have it approved by the Chancellor.

These measures should return what we lost when the Independent State was formed, and what we all seek: security, prosperity, liberty. The Free Democratic Republic will serve as a guarantor of these rights and as the sole legitimate government of Qianrong.

My fellow countrymen, it may be sunset here in Yucheng, but the sun does not set on our great motherland. Our best days are not behind us. They are ahead of us. Today, the sun rises over Qianrong- a new Qianrong, strong and united. This is not evening but morning. Today, we end the years of suffering and step forth into the light. Today, my people, we will have hope, we will have joy, we will have glory. Long Live the Republic, and good night!
Last edited by Qianrong on Sun May 18, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Formerly Ruridova - Come join Kylaris!
---"Don't kill, and don't be killed, alright? That's the best you can strive for."---

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Aininian Poems From the 1940s

Postby Ainin » Sun May 25, 2014 8:01 pm

Remember the Forestia (1942)
A patriotic poem from the Second Great War written following the sinking of the destroyer ANS Forestia by a Chorean submarine, bringing the Aininian Republic into the war.

Three-sixteen young men they were,
Serving dutifully for,
A cause they didn't comprehend,
Lost, to the great end.

Their duty and their will,
To protect us and our isles,
The top sacrifice they made,
To save us from the enemy's tricks.

Now they live in a great land,
God's kingdom, free and grand,
Where He reigns supreme,
Heroes, they shall be deemed!

Remember the Forestia,
And its brave crew.
They will not rest in peace,
Until you serve too.

Across the Sea (1947)
A poem recalling a romanticised first-person vision of the settlement of the Aininian isles.

Across the seas and through the waves
Across the horizon, we see in haste,
The Sun slowly falling down,
Towards the land yet to be found.

Oh! How I wish to be free!
From my menial life of slavery.
The shining sea I shall cross,
This island, it calls for me.

Its mountains and palm trees,
The rivers, lakes, and ravines,
All so gleefully scream,
This nation was made for we.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Namor
Minister

Founded: Mar 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Namor » Mon May 26, 2014 7:49 am

NEW THREAD (ONCE UPON A TIME IN ESQUARIUM 2.0) IS UP!

OOC: Yes, decided to make a new post since there's so many posts on this thread made by present secessionists, so I decided to start anew.
NMR-free since August 2017!

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Mon May 26, 2014 9:49 am

Namor wrote:NEW THREAD (ONCE UPON A TIME IN ESQUARIUM 2.0) IS UP!

OOC: Yes, decided to make a new post since there's so many posts on this thread made by present secessionists, so I decided to start anew.

"Secessionists". That's cute.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

Britanno
Minister

Founded: Apr 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Britanno » Mon May 26, 2014 9:57 am

Ghant wrote:"Secessionists". That's cute.

Can you just leave our threads alone? You are the single biggest reason why I no longer recognise Elysium as cannon.
NSGS Liberal Democrats - The Centrist Alternative
British, male, heterosexual, aged 26, liberal conservative, unitarian universalist
Pro: marriage equality, polygamy, abortion up to viability, UK Lib Dems, US Democrats
Anti: discrimination, euroscepticism, UKIP, immigrant bashing, UK Labour, US Republicans
British Home Counties wrote:
Alyakia wrote:our nations greatest achievement is slowly but surely being destroyed
America is doing fine atm

Vyvland
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vyvland » Mon May 26, 2014 9:58 am

Ghant wrote:
Namor wrote:NEW THREAD (ONCE UPON A TIME IN ESQUARIUM 2.0) IS UP!

"Secessionists". That's cute.

Yes, secessionists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secession
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... /secession
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/secession
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/secede
Esquarium's favourite Germanic island nation - De lubsde germanig iylaan Esgerms
Wiki
Region: Esquarium
Population: 28.2 million
Languages: Vyvlander and Dutch
Capital: Lorence/Lohrec, Largest cities: Vlud and Lyksdal
President: Robert Ujson (Liberal), Prime Minister: Kurt Blymont (Conservative)
Area: 260,000 km2
Demonym: Vyvlander

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Mon May 26, 2014 10:08 am

Thanks for telling me the meaning of something that I already know.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Mon May 26, 2014 1:24 pm

[OOC] Are you only posting here to make condescending comments at us?
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Mon May 26, 2014 1:31 pm

Ainin wrote:[OOC] Are you only posting here to make condescending comments at us?

Vyvland's post was condescending.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

Ziegenhain
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ziegenhain » Mon May 26, 2014 1:33 pm

Ghant wrote:
Ainin wrote:[OOC] Are you only posting here to make condescending comments at us?

Vyvland's post was condescending.

Which would have been avoided had you not made a post.

Please, you're not in the region anymore. You have no need (or right) to be posting in Esquarium only threads.
wew lad

Factbook: Greater Ziegenian Reich
OOC Dispatch: Here

<Koyro> Putin's immortality is fueled by Obama's tears
<Unolia> Others argue that leagues like the Unolian Handball System, which operates on no subsidization at all and operating so much in the black that Nevanmaa won't let it marry whites, is shining example of Capitalism at work.

Qianrong
Diplomat

Founded: May 13, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Qianrong » Mon May 26, 2014 2:03 pm

Oh for god's sake will you all shut it? This thread is supposed to be dead, not a pissy zombified argument over regional politics.
Formerly Ruridova - Come join Kylaris!
---"Don't kill, and don't be killed, alright? That's the best you can strive for."---

Antartican Nations
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Antartican Tabloid

Postby Antartican Nations » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:27 pm

March 5th, 1955.

BREAKING NEWS

STRANGE METEOR CRASHES IN THE APPROXIMATE CENTER OF OUR NATION.

The nations top scientists are examining the meteor. "It appears to be emitting a strange type of radiation, like no type I have seen before." says scientist Ludvig Aamodt. Ludvig also says that some of the scientists seem to be undergoing mutation from this radiation. The radiation can penetrate even the best radiation suits of our time. It is also spreading to our whole nation, and no one else's. Strangely, all mutations are the same.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates