NATION

PASSWORD

Anti-Assembly Protests in Grainne.

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Gabhra
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Gabhra » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:47 pm

OOC:

This is an MT to PMT scenario.

Basically, if you're interested in this, a protest has gathered in Grainne, capital of the Freehold, to protest the fact that the extremely small, very limited government is unelected.

Most locals don't mind, but they have some support from foreign backers.

I'll allow news crews, protest groups, and such like. If you wish to enact outright military actions, check with me first, please.

IC:

Grainne, the Freehold of Gabhra

"Incoming call for Private Gwendolen Sydnie Courtney, from Fifth MAR Command. Incoming call for Private-"

Gwendolen's hand reached out and slapped the com unit's button even before her eyes creaked open. This had been her one day of the month off, and she had not been expecting any calls from work.

"Courtney," she growled, eyes still closed. The voice that answered was not one of the base operators, but an automated message, and the young Soldier's eyes were now wide open as she heard the message.

"Urgent message. All personnel will report to Regimental Operations immediately. Lemon Juice. Repeat, urgent message. All personnel-"

Immediately the young woman's eyes snapped open. To a casual listener, the words "lemon juice" at the end of the message probably sounded like gibberish, but she knew better, having been forced to memorize several emergency communications codes which might accompany a sudden calling out.

"End message!" she barked "Confirm transmission. I'm on my way."

Running served no purpose, but she did move quickly, dragging on underclothes and a field uniform before grabbing the pre-packed weapon from her closet, weapons included, and stopping in the kitchen just long enough to grab a donut and a bottled drink from her children before heading outside. Heading for her car, she stopped in mid-stride as an Army 5-ton truck, probably from the Regimental Motor Pool, turned on to her block and came down the street, stopping at her house. Inside was a large group of men and women, all of them dressed as she was and carrying their packs. A woman with an officer's insignia reached out a hand.

"Captain Iallis, Regimental Logistics. Get on!"

Reaching out to grab the officer's hand, Courtney's arm was grabbed by at least three people as she was hoisted aboard the truck bed. Finding a place to sit upon the hard benches, she adjusted her pack between her boots and stared down at the truck bed as the vehicle lumbered onwards. She still didn't knoe what was happening now, and asked Captain Iallis.

"Protests in the city," was the officer's response. "I have friends in the RBS." That was the Regimental Battle Staff, the ones who controlled field operations. "They've been watching and told me something of what's happening. City Security in Grainne called for assistance from the Military Forces about ninety minutes ago now."

"Foreigners?" Courtney asked. Iallis shook her head.

"We don't know, but probably some of them, at least."

"Does it matter?" asked a sergeant at the tail end of the bench. "They're fucking up everybody else's day, and if they've called us it's because they think it might start up a riot. We have a job to do, let's do it."

That brought nods and affirmations all around. Ten minutes later, the truck was stopped on-base and the camouflaged personnel were all rushing to their proper units in a sort of controlled, practiced chaos. Private Courtney and her squadmates were all done up in helmets, clamshell armor, and weaponry. Swords were secured, and new orders had been issued. Somebody had been sent to grab some cuffs for detaining rioters, just in case.

The entirety of A Company would be moved out as the advance force aboard the MAR's fleet of VTOL transports. The rest of the initial reaction force would be moved in aboard armored transport vehicles.

The Jefferson City Park

The protesters were lined up in the middle of the park. The huge expanse of green grass, flowers, copses of trees and so on which was normally filled with passers-by, mothers with their children and people enjoying themselves before or after work was now filled with a mass of shouting people. They had been moving through to the Market District of Grainne, but had found the way blocked by the officers of the City Safety Office.

Now, as the IFVs carrying the reaction forces from the 5th Mobile Assault Regiment arrived behin the lines of CSO workers, the protesters had stopped and were lined up in a mass in the park, holding hands and shouting what sounded like "No votes, no justice!" They were also blocking the routes which passed through the park lands.

From his ad hoc Command Post set up in a storefront opposite the park from the mass of bodies, Captain Harris Seth Abels watched the stand-offi, sighed deeply into the warm morning air, and then turned to face his staff officers. They were gathered in the small shop working feverishly. Some labored at the radio sets used to keep A Company working and in touch with Regimental Battle Staff, others typed furiously at portable terminals, and still others were simply awaiting his instructions.

"Right," he said. "Here's what we've got. There's a bunch of idiots in the park. From what we can tell, it's a mix of the local garden variety idiots, and there are several imports mixed in as well."

There were several subdued chuckles at that one. It was true, though. Well-meaning, poorly informed foreigners were always coming to the Freehold to protest the lack of the bureaucracy found in most nations. That the local ways worked just fine and without nearly as much corruption was almost invariably lost on such people. It baffled them that the locals did not rise up and demand the living they were allegedly owed by the state.

"In any case," he went on. "There's no difference between them for us here. When they start getting too pushy, we'll move in, hopefully with the rest of the Regiment, in order to quiet things down. We'll arrest the lot, using only as much force as necessary. Is that understood?"

He was answered by a chorus of confirmations.

"Alright," he said, turning to examine the protest once more. "Colonel Pearce will be here with more troops shortly, and will want us to have a grasp on things before he starts deploying the Regiment for action."
Last edited by Gabhra on Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Monarch wrote:English has rules? I thought we just told our pet monkeys to slam on the keyboard.

Sorry Bobo, looks like I have to fire you

Gabhra is a Freehold. There is next to no government. Maximum individual freedom, balanced out by maximum responsibility. You can do just about anything you like, so long as it hurts nobody else.

Gabhra
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Gabhra » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:30 pm

OOC:

I'll be making an IC post shortly, if all goes well, but for now I just want to get this back up where folks can see 'er, and hopefully reply.

Mad Monarch wrote:English has rules? I thought we just told our pet monkeys to slam on the keyboard.

Gabhra is a Freehold. There is next to no government. Maximum individual freedom, balanced out by maximum responsibility. You can do just about anything you like, so long as it hurts nobody else.

Crystal Spires
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Crystal Spires » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:37 pm

The Jefferson City Park

The sounds of the boisterous protesters raised louder in a roar as the signs could be seen, held up by people who were tired of the Government's leniency with regards to the people's needs. As a freehold the claim is that "Maximum individual freedom is balanced out by maximum responsibility." but with no government enforcement body and no standards for regulation this effectively means that there's no protections to anyone. People and Businesses can do just about anything they like, so long as it has no accountability for direct harm, but this was the point, as a freehold the government standards don't exist. There's no regulations to business practices, and the markets are as close to absolutely free as is possible. So how could any accountability happen? Apart from internal courts and some law enforcement, and the Freehold Military Forces, basically the negligible state does nothing. To make matters worse, the Assembly of Citizens are not elected. They pay for the privilege of the post, which they usually hold for life. In exchange, they live on a stipend from the people. They therefore are paid to do nothing all day and life off the people's wages to effectively do nothing.

The Government keeps it hands off everything, and leaves it all up to private corporations and let them run themselves. With no school funding, no healthcare protections, no expansion of resources, no one to take care of infrastructure and urban planning, the government of Gabhra did the bear minimum to take care of citizens, leaving the rest to corporations which did not have an interest in protecting anything other than their bottom line. This infuriated the people and the Spireans, Forntian by nature, saw this as a great injustice. They believe that the purpose of the government was to serve the people, and so far the Grainnian government does so little to protect people from the ills of corporations, and their profiteering can cost lives with so little regulation. A free market meant that public safety regulations don't exist, nor did the majority of the services that were needed with government regulation. There was no one to direct foreign relations, no health and welfare services, no regulation or directing of agriculture, no provision of Education, Energy, no maintenance of economic affairs, no effective contract enforcement, no one ran administrative duties, no protection of the environment that the people relied on to live, no standards for scientific discovery, no regulation on scientific research, and no urban planning and infrastructure, and no transportation. This meant that the rich and those who had provision of business interests received protections while the poor relied effectively on their neighbors for survival. There was no way to be able to live this way for an extended period of time, and the problems inherent in the system would spill out and lead to chaos in the poorer regions.

"NO! NO! WE WON'T GO!" The Protestors shouted as they held out their signs that said "Let the people's voice be heard!" and "A Government for the people!" and "Representation= Right" The Spirean protesters held still and stood silently and stone faced unlike the majority of the protesters and made sure their signs could be clearly read.

The purpose of regulation is to protect the people from other people's greed, hatefulness and stupidity
Government is supposed to regulate industry in order to make sure that they conduct proper business and a free market gives crooks free reign. This must stop, and the people living off the dime of others need to act to protect the people in the name of justice.
Last edited by Crystal Spires on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Read the Mystria Factbook if you want to Join the region, read the factbook and contact Spires.
1 2 3 4 5
Tech Level: FanT

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.

Gabhra
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Gabhra » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:28 am

IC:

The Jefferson City Park

"They're starting to get annoyed."

From his vantage point on a flat, three-story roof, Sergeant Dylan Garcia watched the mass of bodies in the park through his Forces issue binoculars. Part of 5 MAR's Reconnaissance Company, the Regiment's eyes and ears, Garcia was in charge of a six-man scouting/sniping detail. Right now he had two pairs of men holding places up on the rooftop ready to shoot, one in each team being the shooter, while the second helped pick targets. The fifth man, his radio man, was sitting just behind his hide site, ready to relay instructions and reports back and forth quickly. The need for a security element was eliminated by the presence of a small blocking unit set up below.

"How many do you think there are, Sergeant?" asked one of the appointed shooters. Garcia looked at him a moment and then shrugged.

"I'm not sure, Roberts, maybe a couple of thousands in total? They've picked up a few since City Safety blocked them off, but a few more have left."

Message from the Assembly of Citizens
For:
Maven Auryn, High Chancellor, BSCS

"Think they just got tired of acting stupid?" one of the spotters asked jokingly, getting a laugh all around. Garcia shook his head and looked at the crowd again.

"I don't know," he said. "They're cut off, so they can't move through the park like they seemed to want, and now we have to convince them to calm down before we have to move in."

He paused, taking a more intense look at one specific group. They weren't very numerous, but they had managed to work up to the front of the line.

"Who are those guys?"

Forward Command Post

"Who are those guys?"

Captain Abels was watching one of the terminals his HQ crew had set up, watching a still-frame of that same group of protesters which had caught Garcia's eye before.

"RBS is saying foreigners, Captain." That was his XO. "Most likely Spireans here to cause trouble. Apparently the Assembly sent word out."

"Spireans?" Abels demanded, looking away from the screen and allowing the enlisted man running it to get back to his job. "Fuck. Here to sing the praises of Marx and Mao and condemnation of all who oppose the Revolution?"

The other man shrugged.

"They'll likely be sending us in soon if things keep picking up."

The Jefferson City Park

Private Courtney leapt from the heavily armored IFV and began moving to form up with the rest of her squad. In turn, the squad moved to form up with the platoon as numerous vehicles were moving about, unloading troops and equipment. They were all decked out in full field kit, minus rucksacks, which were left on the vehicles as it was unlikely they would be needed, and the security elements would keep them safe.

Message from the Assembly of Citizens for Maven Auryn, High Chancellor, the Beastling States of Crystal Spires

Sir,

I am Citizen Samnang Casales, and I am writing to inform you of something which may require your attention shortly. A small protest, perhaps two or three thousands in all, is taking place in the city of Grainne in the Freehold. Normally we would regard this as purely an internal matter, and we still do, but, we felt you should know it has been made known to us that several dozens to perhaps a hundred or so of your people have been confirmed as taking part in the protest.

It is possible the protest will turn violent. In this event, the safety of these Spireans can not be assured. If at all possible, the Assembly asks that you contact them immediately to ask that they leave. They do not need to leave Gabhra if they wish to remain, only the park where the protest is taking place.

- Citizen Samnang Casales

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:04 pm

Amongst the sea of shouting protestors, many Threlizdunians had gathered. Signs where held, flags were waved, and placards were hoisted into the air. Songs of dissent and cries of defiance filled the air. A solitary figure stepped out of the crowd wielding a megaphone.
"The people Gabhra have for too long been held under the grip of a corrupt oligarchy that refuses to relinquish power!" she shouted. "They have stood defenseless, as the state sat and watched greedy corporations pillage the land and exploit the workers! They have been beaten down and forced into poverty, denied access to any of the essentials to carry out a proper life! Did the people deserve this? Was there some error they made that damned them to their current situation? No, these people are simply additional victims to a long line of a corrupt state and the wealthy elite working together to make a profit off of the misfortune of others! Well the people have had enough! They have had enough of corporations doing what they please without consequence! They have had enough of being deprived of the goods and services they have earned! And most of all, they have had enough of having no voice, of being helpless, of being slaves! The time has come for a new system to emerge in Gabhra! The time has come for democracy!”
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Gabhra
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Gabhra » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:04 pm

IC:

Message from the Assembly of Citizens to the People of the Democratic Syndicates of Threlizdun and to High Chancellor Maven Auryn

I am writing at the behest of my fellow Citizens to inform you of a situation which may concern you, or which should if you care about your people.

Recently, a small gathering of dissatisfied Residents has formed in the Jefferson City Park in Grainne, capital of the Freehold. They are protesting a few small issues between themselves and the majority. Most of them are immigrants, or just people ideologically opposed to the way we do things here. Recently however, they have been joined by a small force of Spirean and Threlizduni nationals, the sort referred to here as "professional" protesters.

I am writing to inform you that the presence of these people seems to be based upon numerous incorrect, and poorly informed, assumptions. Either that, or they just have decided to ignore the local realities for failing to match their views of the universe. We are not quite sure. In either case, what I am about to say stands.

It is possible that the protest will shortly become riotous. I am so informed by the Freehold Military Forces through the person of Marshal Ashton Steele. If this doesn't happen, good, but if it does, the FMF elements now in place to reinforce the City Safety of Grainne will be compelled to move. When they do, your citizens will be arrested with everybody else.

Resistance may lead to injury, death, or serious punishments.

If you are able, we ask you to prevail upon these people to stand down and remove themselves from what may shortly become a volatile situation.

While they are at it, perhaps they could get some free education as to the system they are presently heaping with condemnations.

- Citizen Samnang Casales

Gabhra
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Gabhra » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:44 pm

IC:

Grainne, Gabhra
In the Assembly Hall

Citizen Samnang Casales stood up before the Assembly, a body of men and women charged with guiding the Freehold's diminutive state apparatus, presiding in courts, keeping the laws, and, when necessary, speaking to the world for the state, and also the people. Especially the people. Most of them were a bit on the older side, the result of years spent in business and military services, accumulating the material wealth necessary to gain a spot on the Assembly, and then surrendering it all to have it, giving up everything they had spent years, sometimes decades gaining for the privilege of serving the Freehold.

"Citizens," he began, using the same simple greeting which had always been used to open meetings of the Assembly. "Before we move on to more important matters, I'd like to inform the Assembly that I have, as requested by my colleagues, issued letters of warning to both the Beastling States of Crystal Spires, and the Threlizduni nation as well."

"If you can call them a nation." That was Citizen Grace Hernandez, easily one of the oldest and longest-serving Citizens of the Assembly. Her words generated a laugh here and there, but mostly the room was quiet, and very attentive. Casales ignored the quip and just continued.

"As expected, the High Chancellor has ignored us. Likewise, no reply from the DST has been sent. If they are sending these people deliberately, then they're obviously looking to appear uninvolved."

"They have been warned," Hernandez said now, more seriously this time. "If the Forces must move in and they lose a few people, they won't be able to complain too much about it. They will complain, I'm sure, they always do, but they'll have no right to."

"Have the Forces been sent in yet?" Casales asked. Hernandez shook her head.

"No," she said. "Not as yet. Marshal Steele tells me that the reaction force has been given leave to move at the local commander's discretion."

The Jefferson City Park

Private Courtney stood in a loosely packed line of Fifth MAR personnel well behind the City Safety blockade. She gripped her rifle, checked her sword, and made sure her equipment was all well in place. The protesters were mainly Freeholders themselves, and many likely had weapons, but most would be responsible people, and at least would try to keep the weapons well managed.

Every society has idiots, however, and one was about to make an appearance.

"What the fuck was that?" One of the soldiers to Courtney's left stooed a bit straighter, straining his ears to listen. Courtney did likewise, and she heard it too. It was a noise in the distance, in the direction of the protesting crowds. It sounded like a popping noise of some kind.

"It sounded like gunfire," one of the soldiers remarked. Courtney was about to reply when Senior Sergeant Reyes came walking up behind the lines.

"Everybody ready!" she barked. "The word's come down. Colonel Pearce has decided it's time to move in now. We will advance by platoons in alternating lines, arms to high port. Use the minimum force necessary, but do not hesitate to defend yourselves. Standard procedures, folks."

Thirty minutes later, nearly seven hundred men and women in battle equipment had formed up and were filtering through the City Safety officers, replacing the blue uniforms with a camouflaged line. One which was silent, stern, and ominous to those who would break the law. They were in two staggered lines so that if any person made it between the troops of the first line, he would only run directly into the second line. Bayonets were not fixed and swords were not drawn, but rifles were held up at the high port position, ready to lash out at attackers.

More soldiers were gathering behind them, along with armored transports, many of which had machine guns. From behind the lines, an officer's voice was carried out by a loudspeaker, giving one final warning to the crowd.

"YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF CITY SAFETY REGS. YOU ARE ORDERED TO LAY DOWN YOUR ARMS AND SURRENDER IMMEDIATELY. ANY FOUND WITH ARMS WILL BE ASSUMED BY THE FORCES TO HAVE INTENT TO USE. RESISTANCE IS ILL ADVISED. YOU HAVE FIVE MINUTES TO COMPLY."

Crystal Spires
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Crystal Spires » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:37 am

To: the Nation of the Freehold of Gabhra,

Encryption Level:None
Code: None

Samnang Casales,

We of Crystal Spires are deeply concerned over the excessive use of force by the implication of forcibly dispersing protesters on the streets of Grainne. We of Crystal Spires consider the right to assemble sacred, and a right that must be protected. Because you, yourself, have admitted that this protest is as you have said, "small" with only two or three thousands in all, we see no reason why there should be violence by the state against our young activists. Whether you feel they are misguided or not, nothing justifies excessive use of force, and if those people are murdered or killed by the hands of your government. I will hold you, not the protesters, accountable for it. It is about bloody time that the Freehold of Gabhra take responsibility for doing their jobs as civil servants. This protest is directly the result of your inactions and also the result of misinforming the populace of your actions. Our people are free, and thus as free-beings they are allowed to protest as they please. It is not my right to command free people to do as I command. I am no tyrant, and so I will make this clear, we will inform the world of your actions if they step outside the realm of the law.

The World is Watching,

The Jefferson City Park

The Spireans heard the sound of gunfire and there was screaming as they immediately they took cover in self defense. They had not come armed with anything more than the picketing signs so they were put in a very dangerous position. They looked to the tall rabbit beastling, a creature who had the face of a woman, but the ears and tail of a rabbit, she had long white hair and pink eyes, and was well known for being the Young Socialist Chairwoman, Rina Multhan. She motioned for the Spireans to get down.

What on earth is going on? she thought as she tried to get a better look which was impossible with the fleeing of the crowds.

"we've got trouble. Stay down." She said as her long white ears perked up. She hear the sound of gunfire and immediately her survival instincts kicked in.

"fal'd trɑ'kɑ! D'tragor t͡ʃebazajɑr!" A young panda bear beastling said with confusion in his tone.

"Trɑ'kɑ helanza t͡ʃi'vidɛn fɔr'rnt. Fjrza kɑmmerɑɑd." She said as she motioned for the Spireans to demonstrate that they were unarmed.

"We do not resist!" The Panda beastling said fearfully while holding his hands up in fear.

"CAREFUL!" Rina said as she tried to keep everyone safe. This would be a remarkably difficult task.
Last edited by Crystal Spires on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read the Mystria Factbook if you want to Join the region, read the factbook and contact Spires.
1 2 3 4 5
Tech Level: FanT

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates