NATION

PASSWORD

Arbites Legalizes Religious Freedom

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Arbites
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Arbites Legalizes Religious Freedom

Postby Arbites » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:32 pm

PUBLIC NOTICE
To All Imperial Subjects
Public Act of Faith TS46

The Imperial Curia, by the authority granted to it by the Emperor himself, hereby decrees that the acts of apostasy and blasphemy shall no longer be regarded as criminal offenses punishable by imprisonment, penance, or death. Apostasy is defined as the renunciation of the Imperial Truth, where blasphemy is defined as willfully violating its teachings.

The most common forms of blasphemy prosecuted by His Protectors included worship of false gods or idols, slander against clergy or doctrine, accessing heretical and blasphemous texts, failure to consecrate newborn children, and perversion of the natural human form.

After much deliberation, the Curia has determined that attempting to save the souls of these blasphemers, heretics, and apostates through corrective measures was too great a mercy. The faithful of the Imperium must take heed, the way to save the unfaithful is through renewed faith in the Emperor. It is not the place of men to judge the soul, that is the domain of the Emperor and the Emperor alone.

Followers of the Ruinous Powers may worship in public without fear of being apprehended by the Holy Protectors. Know also that any act of vigilante violence against the unfaithful will be dealt with as if it had been committed against one of our own. Our faith is strong enough to withstand demonstrations of heresy. True sons of the Emperor will have faith that all shall know His name in good time.

In His Glorious Name
May the Emperor watch over us all

It is nearly six months since the Imperium of Arbites first allowed freedom of religion through PAF-TS46. Initially, nothing changed, and most were suspicious of the move. The Imperium had long been a hard-line theocracy, governed by the religion now known as the Imperial Truth. Anyone committing blasphemy was hauled off to be worked half to death by the Imperium's lucrative prison-labor system, all the while enduring physical and psychological torture as part of the "conversion" process. No one wanted to risk that if it was all just a ruse to give the Inquisition a list of targets.

Shortly after TS46 was passed, some of the more idealistic or naive people driven underground finally started displaying their faith or lack thereof in public. Their friends expected the worst, but the police, both the regular and secret varieties, left them alone. Some zealous individuals, outraged, took matters into their own hands. Shockingly enough, when the victims called the police, they responded, and the vigilantes disappeared instead of the unbelievers.

Months later, those still in hiding were finally half-convinced this was not just some kind of trap. A few brave individuals applied for building permits to construct a few houses of worship of various faiths on vacant land. Outrage by those loyal to the Imperial Truth was expected. Unexpected was the fact that the police foiled several would-be vigilante murderers and arsonists plotting against them.

Slowly but surely, there are subtle signs of other religions and lifestyles cropping up. A Christian cross hanging from a necklace, a piercing once considered blasphemous, the Hindu bindi on a few foreheads, clothes pushing the envelope of the Imperium's conservative tastes, a Muslim prayer mat kept in the open. All once criminal offenses, the police are working to protect.

Now, the biggest issue appears to be how to keep the rest of the faithful Imperial population, which the government itself has done everything in its power to turn into fanatical fundamentalists, from crushing their new found freedom.
He who stands with me shall be my brother

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:59 pm

The Holy Republic of TurtleShroom commends your step to allow each man to choose their fate. W promise that the relief of oppression from the state faith will actually further your own faith by removing its image as a cruel oppressor. It is allowing its doctrines to shine in goodness and purity.

Of course, there is no God but the Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth.
Last edited by TurtleShroom on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Jesus Loves You and Died for You!!
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ש✞ש▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

Arbites
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:54 pm

To the "Holy" Republic of Turtleshroom,

Tread carefully, unbeliever. The decision to allow infidels such as yourself to worship your idols fruitlessly was not one of charity, but of faith. These apostates and heretics must see the Light of the Emperor for themselves, we shall no longer help them.

However, although Imperial blasphemers are now beneath our notice, foreigners in league with the Ruinous Powers are not welcome to insinuate there is any true god but the Emperor himself or to slander the Imperial Truth.

Your prophet is an illusion, so many words in a story designed to deceive and control, where our nation's very existence is the direct result of our Savior's actions. He walked the accursed land of Ceti, passing judgement on the sinner, showing mercy to the righteous, his followers growing ever stronger until the Imperium of Arbites Materia, the rightful ruler of the material plane, was born.

Our prayers are with you, so that you and all other unbelievers will one day see the Light.

Father Drogan, Ordo Pacificus

Arbites
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:06 pm

On the outskirts of the city there was once a department store overlooking an intersection. In the Second Burnt Hills War, Imperial troops fortified it against the advancing Adiran Army, but the building was leveled by an airstrike before the Imperial infantry could even see their enemy. In light of the recent warfare, the owners declined to rebuild, and the land sat vacant for years. That changed two months ago. Without warning, there was word that someone had bought the land, and a construction crew began clearing out the rubble of the old store.

The noon sun hangs low in the sky over Asharis. It's late fall, people milling about in the city have heavy coats on. An inch of snow fell the night before, but by midday the last trace of it has melted, leaving everything damp. By now, a tall minaret has been erected where the store once stood. Local Muslims, taking advantage of their newfound freedom, have started to build a mosque. They started with the minaret so that proper calls to prayer could finally take place throughout the day. However, the interior of the main part of the building was finally complete. Tomorrow was Friday, and they would gather for the first time after the muezzin called them to prayer at noon.

Across the street, a weary-looking man drags his feet into a cafe. He approaches an unshaven yet sharply dressed man seated at one of the tables, who is absentmindedly playing with an Imperial cross potent necklace. "Why did you call me at this hour, Leandros? You know I work the 6 to 6 shift at the plant tonight," "Won't take long, Evan, I just need a simple yes or no."

Evan looked uneasy. Leandros was impatient, "Well, what's it going to be? Are you in, or out?" "You know as well as I do the Protectors have taken others for doing this." Leandros laughed before slamming his fist on the table. "Are you so blind? The Emperor is testing our faith! The Curia has passed its sacred duty of conversion to us, the Emperor's loyal subjects! The Protectors test our resolve, ensuring that we will carry out the Emperor's will, no matter the cost!"

Unconvinced, Evan started to protest. "Look, I have a good job at the arms plant, I've got a wife and a bunch of kids to feed, I can't afford to go to prison." Evan venerated the Emperor as all good Imperial subjects should, and it pained him to see so many forsaking Him. However, Leandros had always taken his faith very seriously, to an almost unnerving degree. He was also manipulative, and had a way with words, much like the Church itself.

Leandros stood up, put an arm around Evan's shoulder, and took him to the cafe's window. "Evan, look across the street there," gesturing to the mosque, "Five times a day, the heretics defile our ears with prayers to one of the Ruinous Powers. Five times a day, they spit in the Emperor's face."

He continued, "Think, Evan, the Curia may tell us to let them alone, but the Church has never been stronger in its denunciation of the Ruinous Powers. Think to last week's sermon. They want us to take action." Leandros went back to his table. "And remember, 'He who gives shelter to heretics, may be counted amongst their ranks,'" Leandros goaded, quoting scripture.

Evan hesitated. "Who else is with you?" "Everyone." Evan started to waver, he just needed a little push. "Odd that you would even consider it, perhaps our resolve, and faith, is stronger than yours." "Do not presume to judge me, Leandros. If I have to prove my faith, then I shall do it without hesitation. Just remember, you were forewarned if the Protectors disagree with your interpretation." "The Emperor protects, friend. Glad to see you're on board."

The next day, shortly after 12 noon, Asharis' small Muslim community gathered at the mosque, responding to the call to prayer from the minaret. Not long after the service began, however, several Molotov cocktails were lobbed through the doors, windows, and unfinished portions of the mosque. As the Muslims inside fled the building, they were set upon by a sectarian mob. Many Muslims were killed on the spot, others died later of wounds, a few managed to survive their injuries. The mosque was burnt to the ground, the smoking wreckage, and the bodies, covered by a newly-fallen layer of snow the following night.

This was the scene throughout the Imperium: mob violence directed against Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, and anyone of another faith or formerly classified as a "moral deviant" under the old Imperial decency laws. The Imperial regime decided to take action.
Last edited by Arbites on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arbites
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:14 pm

FORMAL DECREE
Public Safety Act 327G

In light of recent events and the continuing threat to public safety, the Ordo Administratum will be establishing Free Expression Zones in each major city with increased police presence to better protect unbelievers.

Building permits for non-sanctioned places of worship will only be granted inside the Free Expression Zones, where they may be further secured against acts of violence.

Living arrangements will be made for those unbelievers concerned for their safety at their current places of residence.

Curfews may be established by the Protectors if they perceive a threat to public safety within the Free Expression Zone.

Vigilantes will now face minimum 10 year prison sentences. In the event these measures last this long, repeat offenders will be executed.

In His Glorious Name
May the Emperor watch over us all

PUBLIC SAFETY NOTICE
To All Unbelievers

A word of caution to any unbelievers outside the Free Expression Zones: with the current situation, the Protectors may not be able to guarantee the safety of those who choose to flaunt their disbelief in public spaces. We encourage you to use discretion, and to not provoke any unwanted attention.

Furthermore, all unbelievers are strongly encouraged to take up residence within one of the Free Expression Zones, where they are free to live how they choose without fear of vigilante action.

Only in death does duty end

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:31 pm

Message sent through neutral third-parties:

To: Ordo Pacificus, Imperium of Arbites Materia

The sudden decision to legalize religious freedom in your empire on the surface seemed a glimmer of hope, but anyone familiar with your genocidal history towards religious and social minorities of all stripes would know there was some kind of motive behind it.

Now, the Imperium's response to internal sectarian violence verifies our suspicions. Instead of redirecting the slightest fraction of your all-pervasive security apparatus towards the angry mobs ginned up by your own state religion, you resort to ghettoization of the very people you claimed to be setting free. These "Free Expression Zones" represent a twisted farce of human rights, a facade aimed at placating the international community.

Sincerely,
Sec. of State Deol
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:55 pm

HOLY REPUBLIC OF TURTLESHROOM
THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
JONESBORO OFFICE #4
BUREAUCRAT

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

We, noting your extreme cult of personality that outdoes even that of Greater Imperial Japanese Dystopia, New Nicksylvania, and Northern Kimmytopia, are very impressed that you are actually protecting those, including the Christians, with whom we sympathize and express brotherhood in Chirst with, from violence against mobs.

Although we are disappointed that you are not going forth and vanquishing vigilantes actively, but rather defending after they have struck a non-cult-of-personality-follower, we still see hope and God's Will slowly invoking itself in your dreary nation that formerly persecutued the Church.

We hope that your reforms will continue until all men may pray to the One True God, another god or set of gods, or, heck, even to the cult of personality built around Arbites' Emperor.

As a sign of goodwill and commendation to your relenquishment of persecution of the Christian Church, a Senator in our Congress who has some Arbite immigrants (who believe in your cult-of-personality) in his constituentcy is introducing a bill to declare the Cult of Personality of the Emperor of the Imperium of Arbites (CPEIA) as a legitimate faith, entitling it to the famous, absolute tax exemption of its clerics, conducting of "holy" business in regards to spreading its "gospel" and tenants, and its institutions, labor, capital, and properties, that any legitimate faith receives.

We encourage your people to further equalize the playing field and go from protecting mere ghettoes of Christendom to ensuring everyone can worship and Witness their Gospels to all.

Our people will pray for the Christians in Arbite Imperium. Maybe one day, your nation will truly know the Good News of Jesus.

God bless your reforms, and may Jesus' Ministry penetrate your every border!

May your nation prosper,
-BUREAUCRAT WRITING ON BEHALF OF THE HOLY REPUBLIC OF TURTLESHROOM
P.S.: Did you know that there are eighty thousand folowers of CPEIA in TurtleShroom? Your Emperor has a following here, too.
Last edited by TurtleShroom on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

Vidamu
Attaché

Founded: Nov 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vidamu » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:15 pm

The Supreme Patriarch of the Theravada Buddhist Temples and Monasteries of Vidamu states that he is glad that the horrible religious discrimination in Arbites is over, and he hopes that they will continue along the path of religious equality and freedom.
My Political Views
I am a center-right social libertarian
Right: 1.42, Libertarian: 4.39
My Foreign Policy Views
Score: -3.83
My Culture War Stance
Score: -4.58

"We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world."-Gautama Buddha
"He who knows much about others may be learned, but he who understands himself is more intelligent. He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still."-Laozi
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius

Information about Vidamu that I posted before it's refounding on 6/30/2012 is outdated and not valid.

Arbites
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:58 pm

Hittanryan wrote:Message sent through neutral third-parties:

Messages passed hesitantly back through neutral third parties:

To: State Department, Republic of Adiron

The Imperium is confused by the unbeliever regime's claims of "ghettoization" and pandering to the international community. Have we not been transparent that this is not an act of charity, but an attempt to let the unbelievers find the Emperor for themselves?

If they do not convert of their own accord, their punishment in the afterlife shall be worse than anything the Imperium can muster. Is this not a more severe punishment?

The Inquisition insisted on sending a separate message, expect it shortly thereafter. Also expect them to be less cordial.

By His Will,

Office of the Inquisition

You dare speak to us on matters of faith? Adiron, the godless regime that explicitly forbids sanctioning or restricting religion? The same regime that denied unbelievers the chance to atone by offering them refuge? Might we suggest that you look inwards before presuming to judge others?

You will not, however. We know that your heathen, atheistic nation will continue to oppose us as long as we seek to spread the Truth. Your Founder said as much while he lay dying on the ground, slain by our blessed agents. You will continue to violate our national sovereignty by sewing dissent, providing Imperial subjects access to contraband texts, and opposing our attempts to peacefully proselytize abroad.

If you are so eager to fight yet another war, none shall find us wanting. The Immortal Emperor is with us and we are invincible. His soldiers will strike you down. His war machines will crush you under their treads. His mighty guns will bring the very sky crashing down upon you. You should know this already: you cannot win.

A Moment of Laxity Spawns a Lifetime of Heresy

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:44 am

Arbites wrote:
The Inquisition insisted on sending a separate message, expect it shortly thereafter. Also expect them to be less cordial.

[...]

Office of the Inquisition

OOC: Whoa! An Arbites Inquisition! I didn't expect that!
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:36 pm

Arbites wrote:
Hittanryan wrote:Message sent through neutral third-parties:

Messages passed hesitantly back through neutral third parties:

Final message passed through third-party nations:

Funny, we seem to remember winning the last war. We also remember eliminating most of your inner cabinet and a large portion of the inner cabal of the Inquisition. Might we suggest you rethink your claims of invincibility?

However, the Imperium's mad crusade seems to look rather favorably upon martyrdom, throwing away its soldiers and citizens as casually as one might discard a used tissue. It is precisely because the lives of your subjects mean so little to you that we remain unconvinced of your intentions. We will be watching. Prepare for unforeseen consequences.

Ambassador Friedman,
Adiron State Dept.

Ruffnekia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruffnekia » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:51 pm

The Ruffnekian Inquisition would like to deploy agents to protect the satanic churches in your grand Empire against such religious abuse of our Imperial church and its followers

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:11 pm

For those who don't know, here's Arbites' explanation of the Arbites cult of personality.

Arbites wrote:PRAISE THE EMPEROR AND STRIKE DOWN HIS FOES!

The Inquisition's chief weapon is surprise, surprise, and fear, their TWO weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency. THREE weapons, are fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and a fanatical devotion to the Emperor. FOUR! You know what, I'll telegram you again.

By the way, my nation was founded by fundamentalists of an existing (fictional) religion, called the Church of the Magi. While there is a cult of personality in the Imperium, if you really wanted to make it so there were followers in your nation they would probably be known as Magites. Up until the civil war which broke up my mother country of Ceti, the church hierarchy was waiting for a messianic figure to emerge known as the "God-king" or "God-Emperor." They decided this one guy was it, and established an empire in his name in the eastern part of former Ceti.

Outside sources can't even determine if the man really even existed, and no one can gain access to where he is supposedly currently sealed on the Eternal Throne, supposedly battling for the Imperium's souls in the afterlife against, well, every other God AND Satan figure from every other religion. My nation's not really a kingdom, the Church is the one with all the worldly power even if they rule in the Emperor's name.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Arbites
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:29 pm

Ruffnekia wrote:The Ruffnekian Inquisition would like to deploy agents to protect the satanic churches in your grand Empire against such religious abuse of our Imperial church and its followers

To: Ruffnekia

Out of the question. Foreign agents are not welcome on Imperial soil, least of all unbelievers. Any attempt to infiltrate agents into the nation shall be construed as an act of aggression, and any agents discovered operating within the Imperium will be arrested.

Fear not, any members of your congregation will enjoy expanded police protection within the Free Expression Zones, and the Protectors will continue to track down vigilantes throughout the Imperium.

By His Will,

Arbites
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:40 pm

TurtleShroom wrote:
HOLY REPUBLIC OF TURTLESHROOM
THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
JONESBORO OFFICE #4
BUREAUCRAT

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

We, noting your extreme cult of personality that outdoes even that of Greater Imperial Japanese Dystopia, New Nicksylvania, and Northern Kimmytopia, are very impressed that you are actually protecting those, including the Christians, with whom we sympathize and express brotherhood in Chirst with, from violence against mobs.

Although we are disappointed that you are not going forth and vanquishing vigilantes actively, but rather defending after they have struck a non-cult-of-personality-follower, we still see hope and God's Will slowly invoking itself in your dreary nation that formerly persecutued the Church.

We hope that your reforms will continue until all men may pray to the One True God, another god or set of gods, or, heck, even to the cult of personality built around Arbites' Emperor.

As a sign of goodwill and commendation to your relenquishment of persecution of the Christian Church, a Senator in our Congress who has some Arbite immigrants (who believe in your cult-of-personality) in his constituentcy is introducing a bill to declare the Cult of Personality of the Emperor of the Imperium of Arbites (CPEIA) as a legitimate faith, entitling it to the famous, absolute tax exemption of its clerics, conducting of "holy" business in regards to spreading its "gospel" and tenants, and its institutions, labor, capital, and properties, that any legitimate faith receives.

We encourage your people to further equalize the playing field and go from protecting mere ghettoes of Christendom to ensuring everyone can worship and Witness their Gospels to all.

Our people will pray for the Christians in Arbite Imperium. Maybe one day, your nation will truly know the Good News of Jesus.

God bless your reforms, and may Jesus' Ministry penetrate your every border!

May your nation prosper,
-BUREAUCRAT WRITING ON BEHALF OF THE HOLY REPUBLIC OF TURTLESHROOM
P.S.: Did you know that there are eighty thousand folowers of CPEIA in TurtleShroom? Your Emperor has a following here, too.

To: Holy Republic of Turtleshroom

If you truly wish to pay respects to the Emperor's sons and daughters, it would befit that you refrain from referring to us as a "cult." The Imperial Truth and the Church of the Magi are one in the same, and should be recognized as such.

By His Will,

Arbites
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:17 pm

Establishing housing for FEZ districts was fairly straightforward for the Imperial Curia. In rural areas, all it had to do was designate the entirety of some major towns as a FEZ. In the city, it was a matter of shuffling people between apartment buildings on the outskirts. Accommodations in the high-rises were all the same anyway, being government housing projects.

The hard part was actually getting the people moved into the FEZs safely. While in transit, minorities would be especially vulnerable; they would be easily identifiable and passing through unfamiliar possibly-hostile territory. The Curia dispatched the Protectors, the Imperium's non-secret law enforcement agency, to guard them. Protectors were to secure staging camps and anticipated caravan routes throughout the country.

Overlooking a staging ground in the Overhauser Valley, Lieutenant Valkanas of the Protectors is growing increasingly uneasy and conflicted. In its sermons, the Church's denunciation of infidels, heretics, apostates, and atheists were as strong as ever. On the other hand, that same Church wrote TS46 a little over six months ago.

The lieutenant tried to put such thoughts out of his mind. "My course should be clear," he thought. He and his men reported to the Imperial government, and their duty was to enforce its laws without hesitation or mercy. Six months ago, Valkanas would have rounded up the entire crowd of unbelievers and arrested them on charges of blasphemy, apostasy, heresy, and anything else he could think of. Now, the law was different, and if the law said these unbelievers needed protection, then by the Emperor he would provide it.

Valkanas knew his purpose, but was having a hard time justifying the whole situation to everyone else. Family and close friends understood his mindset: he was a Protector, servant of the God-Emperor and arbiter of justice within His empire. Other people, however, harbored suspicions. Was he a sympathizer? Wouldn't that make him an unbeliever himself? Or what if he was one all along?

"Couple more groups coming, Lieutenant. They look even bigger than the last one," one of his subordinates reported. Valkanas could see the town below them in the valley. He scanned the road with his binoculars to find these new groups.

The first looked much like the last, plenty of women, children, and baggage. Two old trucks were heavily burdened by cargo and elderly, the rest were on foot. It was substantially larger than any other groups that had entered the camp. "No surprises there, another motley crew," he thought. He located the next group of people coming from another direction, towards the town square. Something seemed off at first...then it hit him. "Twenty people, I don't see any baggage train..."

Arbites
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:20 pm

"No baggage, almost all male, possibly...no, definitely carrying some improvised weapons. Damn it." Valkanas quickly ordered his squad of riot police to intercept the mob, but noticed a second mob the same size as the first following it up. The Protectors were now heavily outnumbered, even though lethal force was standard operating procedure, they could still be overwhelmed or outmaneuvered. If the mob got mixed in with the refugees, it would be nearly impossible to pick targets.

The police drew their weapons and barked orders at the mob to stop. The mob slowed but began berating the police, accusing them of sheltering heretics. When the mob tried to make a move, Valkanas ordered that the police fire over the mobs' heads. This seemed to scare the mob to some extent, scattering some of the more skittish and bringing their advance to a halt.

The crowd regrouped, though, when they saw how thinly the Protectors were spread. Half of the group split off in an attempt to flank the police line. The police fired again, when a figure emerged with a megaphone asking to speak to the man in charge. Valkanas rushed to the line with a megaphone of his own.

"Holy Protectors, our quarrel is not with you, all we want are the unbelievers. It is the Emperor's will that they face judgment."

"We speak with the authority of the Emperor, not you. All of you, return to your homes, and repent."

"The Church demands that these apostates be converted or purified, lest they feed the Ruinous Powers. Sheltering them shall doom humanity! We must take justice into our own hands! They cannot go unpunished!"

The mob was being whipped into a religious frenzy. They were nearing the tipping point. Suddenly, the lieutenant saw the answer: appeal to faith. "You should thank the Curia for legalizing it, otherwise that kind of claim would earn you a fine and jail time for blasphemy."

There was laughter, confusion, a few curses from the mob. Valkanas continued, "Do you not heed the Church's words? The Curia wishes to give these unbelievers the chance to burn for their sins in the afterlife. If you had faith in the Emperor, you would know this is their inevitable fate."

This seemed to elicit a response from the mob. Some were unhappy their faith was being called into question, others were angry at the organizer misleading them. Valkanas needed to finish them. "It is blasphemy to presume mortals may play in the Emperor's domain by judging the souls of others. Furthermore, the Imperial Curia carries the Word of the Emperor, and if you are as loyal to the Imperial Truth as you claim, then you will recognize its laws as infallible. I'll say it one more time: return to your homes and repent for what you have done, and what you were planning to do here today."

The mob slowly began to disperse, some convinced by Valkanas' argument, others simply chickening out, and a third group vowing to try again somewhere else, some other time. Valkanas returned to his observation post, a bundle of nerves. "All this for a bunch of damned ingrate unbelievers...the Emperor works in mysterious ways, indeed."

Ruffnekia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruffnekia » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:03 am

Princess Sophia and Emperor Reminov IV were sitting on the balcony watching the sunset over the mountains. Sophia had been thinking about the crises in the Arbites Imperium and was worried about the Ruffneks and Tamarians that lived there "Dad what are we going to do about our citizens in Arbites?" she asked with a worrying look on her face

Reminov turned his head and faced as he listened to the question she asked, he thought about it carefully before replying "i honestly don't know" with a saddened look on his face

"We have tens of thousands os citizens living there we must help them" she said quickly to reply "Please dad for the good of the Empire"

"Ok then" he hesitated before carrying on what he had to say "We will call our people out of the country" It was the least he could knowing how much she cared for the people of the Ruffnekian Empire

To:All Ruffneks and Tamarians in Arbites

We fear for your safety in arbites and that we ask you to return to your beloved empire with a fleet of cruise ships waiting for you at docks of Arbites main port city

with all my love
Reminov IV

To: Arbites

I am calling all my citizens to leave the country we would like for you to escort the to where they can board the cruise ships at you major port city

Best Regards
Emperor Reminov IV

Arbites
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:31 am

Ruffnekia wrote:
Princess Sophia and Emperor Reminov IV were sitting on the balcony watching the sunset over the mountains. Sophia had been thinking about the crises in the Arbites Imperium and was worried about the Ruffneks and Tamarians that lived there "Dad what are we going to do about our citizens in Arbites?" she asked with a worrying look on her face

Reminov turned his head and faced as he listened to the question she asked, he thought about it carefully before replying "i honestly don't know" with a saddened look on his face

"We have tens of thousands os citizens living there we must help them" she said quickly to reply "Please dad for the good of the Empire"

"Ok then" he hesitated before carrying on what he had to say "We will call our people out of the country" It was the least he could knowing how much she cared for the people of the Ruffnekian Empire

To:All Ruffneks and Tamarians in Arbites

We fear for your safety in arbites and that we ask you to return to your beloved empire with a fleet of cruise ships waiting for you at docks of Arbites main port city

with all my love
Reminov IV

To: Arbites

I am calling all my citizens to leave the country we would like for you to escort the to where they can board the cruise ships at you major port city

Best Regards
Emperor Reminov IV

The message addressed to Ruffnek and Tamarian refugees never reached the Imperial public at large through proper channels. The Imperium had near complete control of the flow of information in and out of the country. The government did, however, issue the following response to Ruffnekia:

To: Emperor Reminov IV, Empire of Ruffnekia

Do not presume to dictate orders to His Holy Imperium. We are not about to afford special protection for one group of unbelievers over the others. The Protectors have enough to do guarding the convoys, much less attempting to hunt down members of a specific denomination.

Furthermore, unbelievers as they are, they are not your citizens, they are Imperial subjects. We have no history of allowing foreign nationals into the Imperium in large numbers. Those merchants and businessmen who took up permanent residence here willingly renounced any former ties and swore fealty to the Emperor.

Rest assured that the Protectors have thus far successfully repelled any and all attacks on caravan routes, staging grounds, and Free Expression Zones. Imperial subjects are forbidden from owning firearms, while the Protectors are authorized to use lethal force at their discretion.

Law enforcement is also having improved success in preemptive actions against vigilantes, and the frequency of attacks has dropped considerably. The security situation for all unbelievers is, for all intents and purposes, resolved.

By His Will,

Arbites
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:10 pm

It has been three months since the Free Expression Zones were established throughout the Imperium. Protectors were able to successfully defend caravan routes from sectarian mobs. Thanks to the employment of lethal force in numerous incidents, within the first few weeks would-be vigilantes were convinced to seriously rethink their course of action. The more zealous mobs, who attempted to assault caravans anyway, were cut down in a hail of gunfire by the Protectors and forcibly dispersed.

Imperial Magites found more subtle ways of attacking minorities than angry mobs, however. Many were ostracized from their communities and were subject to hate speech and bullying, but economics was the most effective weapon against minorities. It started when certain Magite businesses refused to employ or do business with minorities. These businesses subsequently then put pressure on any competitors who failed to follow suit, implying companies that hired or served unbelievers might be unbelievers themselves. Loss of business from suspicious Magites outweighed the cost of refusing to do business with minorities, so the competitors buckled and fell in line with the discriminatory practices. Minority-run businesses, meanwhile, didn't have nearly a large enough customer base to be competitive in Magite-dominated areas.

When minorities turned to the Protectors for help, however, they were rebuffed. The Imperium was strongly pro-management in all things, believing in a 'cult of prosperity.' This dictated that those who please the Emperor and serve his church loyally shall be rewarded with wealth in the here and now. Business owners were given a free hand to run their businesses however they saw fit, as long as it didn't contradict Curia law. Physically attacking minorities was against Curia law; denying them employment and business on religious grounds, however, was another matter entirely.

Minorities who had kept hidden through the entire episode felt vindicated, and decided to remain underground. For others, it was too late, their secret was out. Their only options were to starve or seek refuge in a Free Expression Zone.

Inside each FEZ, things were steadily improving for those who arrived early enough. With a lack of overzealous Magites and dense concentrations of minorities, minority-owned small businesses cropped up everywhere. Construction was a lucrative industry as places of worship for various faiths were built. The housing projects set aside as residences are in need of maintenance, but the same is true for most of the government-built high rises. For the time, however, the FEZ residences are enjoying considerable prosperity relative to minorities still caught outside.

Arbites
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:04 pm

As dawn breaks, snow blankets the city of Ironworks Bay in the Overhauser Valley. It is now February, the dead of winter. A damp, cold breeze constantly blows through the city from the ocean. Piles of dirty snow nearly three meters high remain where snow removal crews have dumped them. Pedestrians wrapped in heavy coats rush between destinations, eager to escape the cold, while cars drive carefully on the slushy roads.

Natalie Brownell was on her way back from the graveyard shift at the naval yard. She was a practicing Catholic from a small town within a day's drive, who had moved to the Free Expression Zone in Ironworks Bay. Her family made the mistake of trying to organize local Catholics into a proper church, only to be met with a boycott of the family deli and threats of violence from the Magites. Fearing for his family's safety, Dad sold the house, closed the business, and made for the nearest FEZ.

Her father tried to set up shop again in the city, but competition was fierce. There was no shortage of out-of-work refugees trying to start over. To help support her family, Natalie and her two older brothers had to find work wherever they could. The two brothers found construction jobs here and there, currently working on a local church. Natalie, against her father's concern for her safety, found a job outside the FEZ at the Imperial shipyard. Even though she was a Christian, the Imperial military industrial complex wasn't about to turn away workers, it had quotas to fill. There were enough minorities in the shipyards that they remained insulated from the not-so-subtle comments Magites made to themselves.

The walk back home was uneventful; she passed the Protectors who were coldly (literally and figuratively) guarding the perimeter of the FEZ. From there she made her way back to her apartment building just as the morning rush hour started. After a brief elevator ride she opened the front door to the usual morning scene. Her brothers were arguing over who screwed up at work yesterday, Mom was making breakfast.

"I'm telling you, they're all doing it," "Sure, Kyle, that makes perfect sense," Stan replied. "Listen, they know we can't do anything about it, so we're getting ripped off," "You never did get economics. Look, any smart businessman would try to undercut everyone by selling to us lower. Face it: you just went to the wrong place."

"Are you two still arguing over this?" Natalie asked, annoyed as she removed her coat and shoes. "Kyle's worse than Jack and the beanstalk. He didn't trade the cow for magic beans, he traded the cow for regular beans only worth the price of a few eggs." "Nice metaphor," Kyle remarked, heavy on the sarcasm. Apparently yesterday Kyle was sent out for supplies, only to pay grossly inflated prices.

As Kyle started a rebuttal about supply and demand, Natalie started for her room when her mother stopped her. "Eggs'll be ready soon, Natalie," "Thanks mom, but I think I'm gonna shower first, you can give them to Erin. Don't worry about me, I'll make my own. "

Arbites
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:06 pm

Natalie got a layer of grime from work off in a hot shower. When she headed back to her room in a towel, she noticed Erin was still home, walking quickly back to her room. "Hey, get going or you'll be late for school!" Natalie chastised. Erin stormed past, without so much as a response. Her mother started after the girl when she slammed the door to her room. "Uh oh..."

Once she was dressed, Natalie heard Erin and her father arguing in Erin's room. "I hate it here! I want to go home! I want to see my friends again!" "I've told you, Erin, you have to go to school." "Why can't I go to my old school? Why did we have to come here?!"

Erin was only 9 years old, there was no way for Dad to explain why they couldn't go back without making her feel worse. She was still too young to grasp the Imperium's religious policy, she was brought up to believe their religion was just a secret little kind of game. She was fairly popular in her old school, indistinguishable from her multitude of Magite friends. Dad certainly couldn't tell Erin that her old friends probably weren't her friends anymore, that their parents may have been in the mobs a few months ago.

"Honey," Dad said, taking her hand in an effort to comfort her, "People move all the time, you'll meet new friends. Here you'll even meet a few more people like us." Erin was having none of it. "But why can't we just be like everyone else? Can't we just say we like the Emperor too?" Dad didn't have an answer to that question.

"Daddy, why? Why did you do it?" Erin yanked her hands out of her father's grasp. "We didn't have to change, you didn't have to tell everyone we're different! This is all your fault! I hate you! I hate y--" "Erin!" Natalie snapped, "Say you're sorry, now!" The sudden appearance of a disapproving 'Big Sis' seemed to jolt Erin back to normal. "I'm...I..." Tears appeared as she trailed off.

"It's all right, Erin," Dad said. "I know this has to be hard. None of this must make any sense to you, but trust me, you'll understand when you're older." "I want to understand now!" the young girl sobbed. "You're right, this is my fault, Erin," "Dad..." Natalie tried to stop him. "No, she's right. We could have stayed underground. I decided not to, and we're all paying for it now. Forgive me." Erin tearfully hugged her dad, said she was sorry about a dozen times, dried her eyes and ran off to catch the carpool to school.

As she ran out the door, Dad remarked "I don't know how we're going to make it through this one." "Look on the bright side, Dad, she could be a teenager right now," Natalie joked, trying to lighten the mood. "Ugh, don't remind me, that's coming in a couple of years. Thanks for the help, by the way."

This sort of scene was hardly a rare event amongst FEZ refugees. Compounding the problem was a persistent effort by Magites to isolate the FEZs. Kyle, for his part, was right about the economic situation. Magite businesses were now keeping blacklists of FEZ residents, often compiled by requiring customers to show some form of identification when paying with anything but cash. Repeat customers found themselves subject to price hikes. Erin's difficulty adapting to a new school wasn't unusual either, not all of the minorities necessarily played nice together.

Arbites
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:46 pm

The discriminatory business practices never made much economic sense. Nobody made more money by turning away customers and firing employees on the basis of religion, sexual orientation, lifestyle choices, or other reasons. Even when businesses near FEZs attempted to price gouge minority customers, they'd find a competitor undercutting them by price gouging less.

Exploiting a captive market, on the other hand, made perfect business sense. About one year after TS46 was passed, larger companies started setting up shop in the FEZs. In a refreshing twist, these companies didn't appear to discriminate against minorities. Prices offered by the larger outlets were competitive, and they even hired locals.

Unfortunately, over the course of several months, this ultimately proved devastating to FEZ local economies. The minority-run small businesses were already struggling to compete for a small market share, while the larger companies were able to draw on existing capital to undercut all of them. One by one, minority-owned businesses folded.

Once the construction boom came to a halt, the big companies held monopolies in the FEZs. With discrimination still prevalent in Magite-majority areas, these companies then capitalized on their captive market. They controlled the flow of goods and services in and out of the FEZs, and with the loss of local businesses, were the only major employers. Taking advantage of the situation, the companies raised prices and slashed local wages.

Unemployment in the FEZs was rampant, a problem the government refused to rectify owing to its economic policy. The only choice was to work for a state-backed industry or one of the monopolies. Neither of the two options paid very well, and with the recent influx of applicants, employment was by no means certain.

As poverty steadily grew, so did unrest. When strikes broke out, the picket lines were broken up by the Protectors, and scabs promptly took their positions permanently. It soon became apparent that the Protectors were there as much to keep the minorities in as they were to keep vigilantes out.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:08 pm

For some time, we have been receiving scattered reports of widespread discrimination directed towards Imperial minorities. The problem has recently become acute, with major corporations driving minority-run companies out of business and establishing monopolies. Most troubling is the news that police are engaging in strikebreaking whenever minority workers attempt to improve their situation.

The FEZs are now officially ghettos, with high unemployment and poverty rates mixed with undercurrents of unrest. Preventing violence towards minorities while starving them to death is not freedom of expression, it is just a slower method of murder.

We are giving you fair warning: address these issues, or we will make them known to the international community.

Ambassador Friedman
Adiron State Dept.

Arbites
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:23 pm

As the situation continues to deteriorate within the ghettoes, the Imperium clamps down in the name of public safety. Strict curfews are established, public gatherings of more than four people are dispersed, and troublemakers may be placed under house arrest. Resistance to these measures only prompted quarantines of the ghettoes. Nothing was allowed in or out. Food riots were the next natural progression.

Amidst the violence, there was one voice amongst the higher echelons of Imperial power who spoke against the situation. Governor Urban of Asharis Province felt compelled to reveal he was an atheist after the passage of TS46. His influence in the military was too great for him to be in any danger of losing power. Now, he was planning on reforms within his jurisdiction which he promised would address the root causes of their problems, not just the effects.

In a bold gesture of solidarity, the governor planned on announcing his reforms in person to the still-unruly population of Asharis' FEZ ghetto. It was what many had been waiting for.

Inquisitor Veldan and his team were in position on the fifth floor of an abandoned department store in the Asharis FEZ. From their vantage point, they were overlooking the square where Urban would give his speech. A crowd was filtering into the area.

Now that they were playing the waiting game, some of Veldan's men slipped into idle chatter.

"Disgusting, look at those little heathens scrawling around down there."

"I cannot fathom why the Curia decided to let them spew their blasphemy."

"Or why that godless filth Urban was allowed to stay in power. Who made that call?"

Veldan decided to join the banter with a stern warning. "Heresy grows from idleness, mind your tongue."

"Yes sir."

"The good governor's leadership in the Imperium has thus far been invaluable. We are here to ensure his service continues. Ah, there he is now."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates