NATION

PASSWORD

1395 (OOC, Historical, CLOSED)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Snefaldia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 05, 2006
Ex-Nation

1395 (OOC, Historical, CLOSED)

Postby Snefaldia » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:56 pm

The Story

1395, Kingdom of Isaardlang. The new faith of Aatem Nal has spread like wildfire across the northern lands, with kings and commoners of the Sringi city-states and kingdoms converting to the new religion and sponsoring massive building projects to advance the tents contained in the Amershaman Medrahov. Every city and town in the north now has a library and a bustling crowd of scholars, every village and capital has a conclave of the faithful who argue over matters of faith. The cities of Dayan on the north bank of the mighty Saard river have only recently accepted the new faith of the Sringi, and there is great debate on the application of the teaching from the north. The mighty city of Great Tejaara sends a stream of

The aged but powerful King of Isaardlang, Wagasanali IV, son of the first major convert of the Great Teacher and one who heard his teachings personally, has called a great meeting of the scholars of the faith to meet in Tejaara and solidify the foundations of the order for the future. This Conclave at Tejaara is threatened, however, by the influence of a powerful ascetic, Savongla, from the northern reaches of Sring Issa; claiming to be the successor of the Great Teacher Khsayavang he asserts only he has the authority to decide matters of the faith. He is no mere wild ascetic— his adherents number in the thousands and he controls a network of mountain-castles from which to protect his power.

Wagasanali IV, approaching 85th birthday, is in no position to make war on ostensible members of the faith, but their threat to his personal power and the success of the unity of the Conclave at Tejaara cannot be undermined. The inquiries have been made; messengers sent up and down the river, to the deserts of Allasha, the forests of Neer Dal, to the great port city of Taxilha and the golden capital of Bae for mercenaries, warriors, and assassins to come to heed the call of the King of Isaardlang, the protector of the faithful and the Hearer of the Prophet.

Background, or "Why would someone from my nation be in yours?"

Medieval Snefaldia, just like the real world in 1395, does not exist in a bubble and has connections all over the world. Taxilha, the main port city in the south, is filled with foreign traders and all sorts of characters; the Saard river is always bustling with trade and transport, bringing the precious metals and coveted Velnar marbles from the city of Thiestilm down through Dayan and its lush and productive agricultural lands. It's very common for the rulers in the north to hire soldiers of fortune or other foreigners to supplement their forces, much like the Varangian or Swiss Guards. The powerful empire of Mavátêisnáya in the southern region of Neer Dal, although not figuring in my story, is a well-developed civilization just reaching its zenith with a strong urban and artistic culture that would attract foreigners and scholars to the court of the Great King.

I'm open to all kinds of condottieri, mercenaries, traveling charlatans, migrants, healers, and quasi-magical people (elves, even). They don't even have to be human, but I reserve the right to approve them.

Signup

okay! This is a chance to get involved in Snefaldia history. In 1395, the hundreds of hierarchs of the new faith of Aatem Nal met in the city of Tejaara to solidify the growing faith, settle issues of theological difference, and unite to form a centralized system of governance in conjunction with secular authorities. The basic historical premise is not at stake here; what I'm looking for is an RP that helps flesh out Snefaldia history and build connections with other historical settings.

I'm looking for a small team to take up Wagasanali's call and attempt to eliminate Savongla. I'mm be acting as a moderator and coordinator to fill in details and move the story along.

Further information about Snefaldia can be found here. There may be some inconsistencies from page to page and I may change some information as the RP progresses.

Your character can be anyone you want; they do not have to be a Snefaldian ethnicity but the only requirement is that they speak at least one language common in northern and central Snefaldia. Sringi and Bagura are the major languages in the central and north. Tausite is the lingua franca, a blend of southern and northern tongues that is used by aristocrats, merchants, and scholars. Other languages are:

Sringi
High Sringi, spoken in western and southwestern Sring Issa, Isaardlang, and parts of central Sring Issa
Tausite, spoken in eastern, central, and southeastern Sring Issa (Serasarda)
Old Sring/Mallasham, spoken in the north.
Saar, spoken in Tejaara.

Dayan
Bagura, common tongue in Dayan
Tausite, spoke in the major cities of Dayan

TG ME WITH YOUR APPLICATION FOR APPROVAL

Character Name:
Height:
Weight:
Eye Color:
Hair Color:
Languages spoken:
Abilities:
Weaknesses:
Short Biography:

Emlyn Cuch
Character Name: Dafydd ap Egberd
Place of Origin: Emlyn Cuch
Skin Color: Light Caucasian
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 136
Eye Color: Green
Hair Color: Brown
Languages spoken: Emlyn Englich, Old Sring
Abilities: Horsemanship, knife-fighting, climbing, endurance
Weaknesses: Archery, swimming, is scared to death of "ceffyl dŵrs" or "kelpies" (an legendary water spirit), is also scared to death of Catholics, and he's a liar and not particularly smart
Short Biography: Dafyyd ap Egberd is from the high northern isles of Emlyn Cuch, where the inhabitants maintain a primitive, very old system of kings and their "thegnes" or "thanes" (knights or warriors, they also serve as noble lords). Dafydd aims to be a thegn of his regional king someday. The inhabitants of Emlyn Cuch also are resisting the spread of Catholic Christianity, and Dafydd reflects the pagan values of his ancestors, and is highly anti-Christian. Dafydd came south as many of the young men do to hunt the Christians (an unofficial feud), and make his fortune. He wound up String Issa eventually.

Knootoss
Character Name: Hidde Hiddeszoon
Place of Origin: A farmstead in Free Frisia
Skin Color: Caucasian
Height: 5'3
Weight: Average
Eye Color: Bright blue
Hair Color: Messy blonde
Languages spoken: Frisian, Hollandic, Tausite
Abilities: Able seamanship; proficient with blunt weapons; journeyman trader; survival skills.
Weaknesses: Illiterate; greedy; superstitious
Short Biography: Hidde, son of Hidde, was born on a farmstead in Free Frisia. With the chaos of his homeland, which held out in defiance of the feudal order that had settled all around them, he grew up knowing how to fight. A feud between his family and the people of a nearby village eventually led to his farmstead being burnt down. A survivor, Hidde wandered the provinces and eventually joined a group of pirates called the "Likedelers", or "Equal sharers", because they shared the boot equally. At the same time, they impartially raided everyone's shipping. Their famous battle cry was "God's friends and the whole world's enemies". When the Knootian cities banded together to drive the pirates off, the ship Hidde was on (the 'Fortuyn') set sail for distant lands, eventually arriving in the great port city of Taxilha.

Greenlandic People
Character Name: Kale
Place of Origin: Old Greenland
Skin Color: Pale
Height: 5’11”
Weight: 190 lbs.
Hair Color: Blonde
Languages spoken: Norse, French, Tausite
Abilities: Excellent swimmer, powerfully built, combat experience, proficient woodsman
Weaknesses: Greedy, aloof/un-personable, rude and tactless, sanguinary
Short Biography: Kale is but one of countless other Greenlanders who have begun to flee the frigid northerly iceberg in what will eventually culminate into the Great Migration to Lavinium. A worldly adventurer and career bandit, he stowed away on the charter ship Endymion and followed it to its eventual mysterious destination, Taxilha.

Snefaldia
Character Name: Ɖum-nŏ-gën
Place of Origin: a farm outside Wołlmænö, Southern Dayan
Skin Color: light olive
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 210lbs
Hair Color: sandy blond
Languages spoken: Bagura (north and south), Tausite, High Sring, Sendaren Neeri
Abilities: excellent horseman, proficient with polearms, thrown weapons, and Neeri bow. Also has some knowledge of poisons.
Weaknesses: Is a drunkard, brutal, and extremely superstitious.
Short Biography: Ɖum-nŏ-gën is an aged former soldier from Wołlmænö in Southern Dayan; he has seen several battles since he joined his city's army at age 11 to escape his vicious father's farm. He became a lancer and fought in several battles against other Dayan cities before he left the city at age 24, wandering through south Dayan and ending up in the Kingdom of Mavátêisnáya, joining a local militia in the Sendaren city of Alondarien. At 28 he ended up in Mavátêisnáya itself, where his skills on horseback caught the eye of the Lord of Wenyandawik, who hired him as a captain in his guard, where he became familiar with the short Neeri compound bow and the horse-archery common in the South. He was forced to leave suddenly when he impregnated one of the lord’s daughters. After heading north, he stopped in Ånienë, where he was implicated in the assassination of a local headman, and was forced to flee once more. He was hired on in Tavvakum as a lance captain, fighting against the League of the North in 1380 that ended in the sack and razing of Tavvakum; surviving the destruction he continued north, settling in Thiestilm in 1384. He disappeared for five years and refuses to talk about what happened between 1385 and 1390, but he returned to Thiestilm and signed on with a trade outfit out of Taxilha, and travelled down the Saard to the Port City, where he spends much of his time at a tavern, telling tall tales, picking fights, and fashioning talismans out of wood and shells.

Nalaya
Character Name: Knight-Captain Ashkhen Zmroukhd
Place of Origin: Naha'ai
Skin Color: Fair
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 125 lbs.
Eye Color: blue-gray
Hair Color: light brown
Languages spoken: Tausite, Saar, and երկնային (her native tongue)
Abilities: Martial skill, and some degree of learning
Weaknesses: loyalty to her code, chivalry even if it's not the wisest course, illiteracy and imperfect manners
Short Biography: Ashkhen rose from the crushed peasantry of her land to considerable status as a member of the Arcane Order of St. Dismas, a powerful group in her home state that ignored the doctrine of the local theocracy and whispered things like "equality" and "nobility of spirit" in dark corners. Though her homeland is not yet free, she has felt the call to serve elsewhere and considers herself on a pilgrimage of sorts. She acts according to her own moral code, but is not averse to helping. She is also very sensitive to religious difficulty after surviving several brutal civil wars over dogmatic schisms.

Altani Confederacy
Character Name: Yesukai
Place of Origin: Hashirizad, Argali Horde
Skin Color: tanned
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 155
Eye Color: brown
Hair Color: black
Languages spoken: Tausite, Altani-Mongol, Akamian Arabic
Abilities: Unarmed combat, horsemanship, archery, melee weapons
Weaknesses: Bluntness, strict code of honor, fondness for drink
Short Biography: Yesukai is the youngest son of Belgutai Noyan, a military commander and minor noble in the far north of the lands controlled by the Argali Horde. As the youngest, Yesukai stood little to no chance of inheriting his father's position. Finding opportunities for carving out his own domain at home likewise limited, Yesukai decided to pursue opportunities elsewhere. He has since earned his living as a mercenary, earning himself minor renown in the process despite his relative youth. His travels have taken him through the Western Atlantic and beyond, eventually bringing him to Taxilha.

Name: Anselm Friedrich
Place of Origin: Konstanz, Holy Roman Empire (1395)
Race: Caucasian
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 224#
Hair: blond, long (to upper-mid back in length)
Eyes: blue
Languages: Upper/High German (with literacy), other German dialects (understood, but with limited literacy), Tausite (moderate proficiency, but illiterate), Latin (with literacy)
Abilities/Strengths: formal education, knowledge of medicinal preparations, trained with heavy swords, exceptional strength, looks good for a combat veteran
Weaknesses: trips over his own feet sometimes, stands out in a crowd, snarky as hell, latent attraction to other soldiers (not something he really talks about unless he's been drinking, which he avoids)
Short biography: Anselm was born into a noble family fading into obscurity. He trained as a soldier for several years before taking holy vows as a way to avoid marriage. Currently, he wanders from country to country attempting to evade the law; he faces execution for a variety of crimes, including practicing forbidden religious rites. After the past evening's storm, he is already wondering whether he should have come to Snefaldia at all.
Last edited by Snefaldia on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Welcome to Snefaldia!
Also the player behind: Kartlis & Sabaristan

Snefaldia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Snefaldia » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:44 am

The Map

I realized that this map is difficult to read. Let me give you a legend! For reference, the geographical area size roughly matches that of modern mainland China.

There are four major region: Sring Issa, Dayan, Allasha, Neer Dal, and Bae. These are the Five Provinces of modern Snefaldia, but in 1395 they are more like geographic areas rather than united political units. Several of the cities listed on this map do not yet exist: Sargedain, founded in the 1400s, Fahd (Allasha), founded in 1659, and Nornaldain (Neer Dal), 1740.

Sring Issa
Regions and their cities(red lettering):
  • Eastern Hills
    -Isaardlang, Ishuwa, and Nal.
  • Maldawang
    -Millawanda
  • Mallasham
    -Taygatte
  • Tejaaran Veldt
    -Great Tejaara, Akkai
  • The Headlands (not listed, eastern Sring Issa)
    Serasarda, Washukanni, Tarhuntassa.

Dayan
note: this map shows East and West bank. I've retconned it to be North and South bank.
  • North Bank
    * Ånienë
    * Hômëðæ Fåm
    * Nøsë Sâr
  • South Bank
    -Wołlmænö
    -Nømlëdain
  • Tasadar (eastern prairies)
    -Bae Nânn

Other Major Cities
-Taxilha, at the mouth of the Saard.
-Thiestilm, on the Saard at the foothills of the Serils.
-Mavátêisnáya, capital of the Great Kingdom of Mavátêisnáya, Neer Dal.
-Pholimjung, capital of the Empire of Bae
-Korsahad, center of the Allashan Kingdom, Allasha
-Kuwand (also known as Kand), center of the Kandian hegemony, Allasha
-Tawsanggai, city of the Tawsini, headwaters of the Saard in the Seril mountains.
Last edited by Snefaldia on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Welcome to Snefaldia!

Snefaldia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Snefaldia » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:58 am

reserved
Welcome to Snefaldia!

Snefaldia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Snefaldia » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:59 am

Okay! I'm going to post the IC thread in the next day or so. If you still want to join in after things get started, please TG me first.
Welcome to Snefaldia!

Usagi Land (Ancient)
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Usagi Land (Ancient) » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:33 am

(Doesn't know how to delete.)
Last edited by Usagi Land (Ancient) on Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Perwita
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Perwita » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:59 am

Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb
Last edited by Perwita on Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snefaldia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Snefaldia » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:39 pm

What part of TG me is unclear?
Welcome to Snefaldia!

Greenlandic People
Envoy

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greenlandic People » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:54 pm

Snefaldia wrote:What part of TG me is unclear?

Well they're both brand new players; they probably don't know what "TG" stands for.
Member of ODECON
Regional Pages: Forum | Web page | Wiki Page
National Pages: Wiki | Factbook
Author of GA Resolutions: #58 | #64

Knootoss
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Knootoss » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:26 pm

Random comment, is it just me or is everyone quite tall, considering it is the year 1395? :)

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Snefaldia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Snefaldia » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:15 pm

Ɖum-nŏ-gën is southern Dayan, whose people have a history of intermarriage with the Neeri, who are naturally very tall owing to some far-off Elvish ancestry. As for the others... I don't know. I can't comment on the nutrition of 12th century Wales, Frisia, or Greenland. :D

For some clarity- I have always thought of Snefaldia as being "slighty real world," rather than wholly fantasy or wholly RL. Now that doesn't mean dragons and magic and all that junk, but rather there are things that perhaps won't quite match up to what we imagine the historical real world to be. 89% of stuff, yes. The other 11% will just crop up every now and then for fun!
Welcome to Snefaldia!

Greenlandic People
Envoy

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greenlandic People » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:19 pm

Speaking for myself, I'll say that I'm toying with a stereotype here insofar as my character and his qualities. When the story begins, Kale is supposed to fit snugly in the hulking barbarian cliche.
Member of ODECON
Regional Pages: Forum | Web page | Wiki Page
National Pages: Wiki | Factbook
Author of GA Resolutions: #58 | #64

Snefaldia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Snefaldia » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:39 pm

Think of the Hagfish like the Mos Eisley Cantina, a wretched hive of scum and villainy. It's up to you if Salgash knows you- some of you may be in Taxilha a short time, some, like Ɖum-nŏ-gën, will be well-known. Feel free to commandeer him for a conversation, as well, since he'll be searching for people looking for work, and probably some wine, too.

As far as money is concerned: much like IRL at the time, money is still in precious metals, and almost no one has it; most trade is done in kind. A silver piece like the one the northerner has (an Isaardlangi ducat) is hard to come by, even in Taxilha, and will be worth what a peasant can produce in an entire harvest.
Welcome to Snefaldia!

Zellatia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 29, 2008
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Zellatia » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:24 pm

Has the thread started yet? I just sent you a telegram, and I hope to be apart of your nation's medieval history.

Snefaldia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Snefaldia » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:28 pm

A few notes:

1. It's noted briefly in my wiki article, but same-sex relationships are accepted in most places this story will take your characters, in differing forms. In general, these relationships follow a model of egalitarian homosexual relationships from age 12-30, at which point men are expected to wed and produce children. Marriage is not a performed or understood in a Christian context; adultery is only a taboo in much of Allasha and Bae. Public displays of affection are generally disapproved of in Sring Issa and Dayan across the board whether homosexual or heterosexual. In Neer Dal, society is a bit more permissive. Rape is universally abhorred. Abortion, using the methods common at this time in history, is a grey area and does not have the same connotations common in modern political discourse.

2. For the purposes of this RP, I'm retconning the start month to March of 1395. This will coincide with the first flooding over the Saard in late March and April. It takes a total of six to eight months to cross Snefaldia from any point as the wolf runs.
Welcome to Snefaldia!

Snefaldia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Snefaldia » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:14 pm

Another note!

Many of the characters speak Tausite, and indeed many urban-dwellers in Snefaldia at large will speak it as well. Sringi, Tausite, and Saar are all in the Luwitic family of languages, much like French, Italian, and Spanish are in the same Romance family. Bagura, while in a different family, has evolved much like English from Germanic roots, while plucking liberally from French and Latin.

Tausite is the lingua franca of trade and scholasticism, and developed after the Dayan invasion of Sring Issa in 1035. Prior to this time, what is now known as "Old Sringi" was spoken across much of the north. After the power of the Dayan client-princes weakened, and in the face of an upsurge of ethnic Sringi sentiment, the urban tongue now known as High Sring began to displace Old Sringi, which is still spoken in rural areas, distant cities, and the peripheries of Snefaldia.

Tausite is a hybrid of Sringi and Bagura speech patterns. Speakers of either of the three languages (Bagura, Sringi, and Tausite) will be able to make themselves understood, but cannot communicate higher concepts or carry on long discussions with any degree of understanding. "What you drink" and "Where from?" will be the sort of questions one can ask and answer.

If one runs into someone who speaks one of the two Neeri languages, one of the two Allashan tongues, or Bajeong, you're out of luck- they're different language families.
Welcome to Snefaldia!

Emlyn Cuch
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Emlyn Cuch » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:22 pm

Ah- thanks. My character is going to have to learn some Tausite, though.

Snefaldia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Snefaldia » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:34 pm

should I assume everyone has arrived at the boat with the exception of Dafydd?
Welcome to Snefaldia!

Nalaya
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nalaya » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:35 pm

Snefaldia wrote:should I assume everyone has arrived at the boat with the exception of Dafydd?

Ash is going on the boat. I'm assuming you can bring horses along--they did it for the Crusades.
Do you know, my son, with what little understanding the world is ruled?
- Pope Julius III

Emlyn Cuch
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Emlyn Cuch » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:02 pm

Snefaldia wrote:should I assume everyone has arrived at the boat with the exception of Dafydd?

I suppose so. Just start whumping him endlessly from the get go. ;) I like to play the annoying team member in RPs.

Snefaldia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Snefaldia » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:03 pm

it isn't clear that all the characters are at the boat yet. I suppose the boat could just leave...
Welcome to Snefaldia!

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:04 pm

Should I post <Hidde is on his own boat?>

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Snefaldia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Snefaldia » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:07 pm

Troublemaker!
Welcome to Snefaldia!

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:42 pm

If you like I can play some pirate NPC's?

Snefaldia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Snefaldia » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:46 pm

Go right ahead!
Welcome to Snefaldia!

Zellatia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 29, 2008
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Zellatia » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:04 pm

So I can assume you don't need my merc captain yet? I'd really like to jump in when my character is needed for any purpose. Including if he works for the "evil" prophet, if needed.
Last edited by Zellatia on Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates