NATION

PASSWORD

Wormhole: A continuation (Closed, ATTN Maccoy)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Iotor
Envoy

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Wormhole: A continuation (Closed, ATTN Maccoy)

Postby Iotor » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:25 am

On board the Naval colonization vessel; the Greater Arc

Despite its status as an experimental anachronism, the interior of the Greater Arc was more similar to one of Iotor's regular naval vessels.

The corridors were all well maintained, as a rolling clean up went through the ship every twenty four hours. The inside was spacious, and somewhat easy to navigate. Its branching and winding halls were simplified with dozens of signs and sparse maps.

If one followed the signs, there were two facilities that offered chow.
There was the Cafeteria, which was a large room stuffed with discount, spartan equipment. Tables were scratched or dented, cutlery was oddly present about the place, and the couches showed disturbingly obvious stains. The atmosphere was friendly, if very boisterous and the food smelled hearty, but was visually unappetizing.

The room next to it was the 'All-Soldiers Galley'. It was just as large as its civilian counterpart, but seemed more spacious and clean. Everything was in pristine condition, and the seating was plentiful and cushioned.
The food looked and smelt good, and the chatter was persistent but not deafening. However, those without a uniform would find themselves at the hostile end of unfriendly glances...Well, except for a few female colonists who had been invited in. But boys would be boys.

Besides the mess halls, there was the 'All-Crew recreation' room, resembling a ill-equipped arcade and gym. The dominant activity was air hockey, but there was also gym equipment and far in the background was a cramped sporting court, with folded basketball hoops and goals.

Finally, in the far bow of the vessel was an observation deck, under the bridge.

The soldiers -while doing their best to avoid being seen- were obviously not trained in the art of being subtle. Even though closed circuit camera's were spread throughout the ship, there was very little attention paid to the new guys. An announcement came over the speakers aboard the Greater Arc to ensure no one thought they had been boarded:

"Attention all, a private cargo vessel has docked with us temporarily. Its crew have been allowed to freely move about the public areas of the ship. That is all"

Sue Ellen reentered the bridge, which was rolling along quite nicely. The Mission Coordinator was waiting for her next to the door.
"What the hell was that?"

He was spoiling her good mood already, and she hadn't even said a word "Business. I'm trying to help the colony"

"By letting a private company -pardon me- a private VESSEL ship...What did you call them? VITAL MATERIALS!"

The entire bridge attempted to keep on task, but with the two highest ranking officers on the vessel on the verge of a power struggle it was hard to focus.
"Risks are a part of business. This deal is going to reduce the time it takes to build this colony by maybe a year!"

"And get you off this ship and on your arse behind a five-star desk right?"

Now he was pushing it "WHAT ARE YOU IMPLYING?"

"THAT THIS WHOLE THING IS JUST WAY FOR YOU TO GET OUT OF CAPTAINING"

Sue Ellen rapidly closed the distance between herself and the Mission Coordinator. Their faces were inches apart and her voice strangled his ears "INITIATIVE IS A PART OF BEING AN OFFICER, I SUGGEST YOU LOOK THAT UP IN YOUR TRAINING MANUAL"

"NOW REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU THINK GROUP CAPTAIN, I AM IN CHARGE OF THIS VESSEL AND THE COLONIZATION EFFORTS. IF YOU SLANDER ME ONE MORE TIME, I'LL HAVE YOU REMOVED FROM POST FOR CONTEMPT AGAINST A SUPERIOR OFFICER" She backed off to let him breathe "Do you get me?"

A moment of hesitation and thought.
"I get you ma'am"
In only the best of us are the virtues of heroes
In only the regular of our own, are the best

Maccoy
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Maccoy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:10 pm

The corridors were shockingly clean and spacious; the huge spaces were almost frightening to the crew of the Chimera, as they spent months at a time in a cramped little bucket with solar panels.

The regular cafeteria looked more like one of the home stations, but as nobody was actually stopping them they went to the "All-Soldiers Galley".

"Vow, Ee'm almost afeerd to touch anythan'," Tia whispered, lowering herself carefully on the edge of a seat. "It's too clean."

But Doc clumped in and chunked his shotgun on a table. The other two men followed suit, glancing at the other patron's plates for an idea of the menu. For the Chimera's crew, anything better than the muck they usually ate was all one to them.

"We've picked up a coupla blokes," Jeff finally noticed. He looked around, grinning at the hostile looks. "Don't look like anybody's 'appy to see us."

"Just like anywhere's else," Doc retorted. "Ye've been in a box too long, kid. Gotta get used to the strange stares, grub, women."

Iotor
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Iotor » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:45 am

Having an entirely new group aboard the ship naturally put most of the marines on edge, but now knowing that one was armed turned them from strange new people to potentially hostile liabilities.

But the Air Marshal had given the order to leave them be. And with the floating rumor that they might be trade partners, paranoia only effected the martial arm of the ship. Unfortunately, there weren't many civilian workers in the galley.

The clunk of the shotgun on the table drew wary glances from others nearby, and visibly startled some of the younger men. The chatter briefly receded as everyone took note of the weapon, but slowly returned to its original level. Most soldiers did their best to ignore them, but the senior NCO's kept a very stern eye on them.

Most of the food came from sealed packs, and was made to out last expiration dates and out survive any turbulence encountered. It was stock standard food for planet-dwellers, but for most spacecraft it was a delicacy. It was all dished out from a cafeteria line. Above the serving station was a board describing what was being dished up:

Chopped vegetable mix, Meatloaf slices (Beef or Poultry), Rice (White or Brown), SPECIAL DESSERT: Jello SURPRISE. To drink: Water (TAPS BROKEN)

Only two soldiers remained in the line. They were delaying to talk with one of the cooks.

Maccoy
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Maccoy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:26 am

Karl saw the increased hostility at the sight of Doc's weapon; he had heard that what was usual in the outer moons was highly irregular everywhere else. But then, all his crew was armed in some way or another- he and Jeff and Tia all had neuronic whips, though not so easily recognizable nor lethal as the heavy triple-barreled shotgun.

"I'll brin' you somthin'," he murmured to Tia, and he and Jeff went to the line to get some food. It was all new to them- they had never tasted actual meatloaf or jello, but it smelled and looked quite good.

Doc sat at the table with Tia, trying to cast any looks of hostility he received back in the direction they came from. It occured to Tia that he was sitting with her to protect her, and she was quite annoyed. "Ee can handle meself," she said. "It's my shore leave and ee can enjoy meself the way ee want!"

When the others returned with food she took up hers and moved to another table. Karl looked at Doc. "What did you say to her?"

"Nothfim," muttered Doc, as he started eating. "It's yer girl."

Iotor
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Iotor » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:33 pm

Although the atmosphere generated was unfriendly, it was mainly the superior command sect that was unhappy. Most of the subordinates were simply jumpy. Both of the soldiers that had originally been following them entered the galley and started chatting with their fellows.

Seeing as it was in between guard shifts, the galley was not busy and the tables weren't crowded. Several of them were totally deserted.
One of the soldiers eating alone nearby Tia's newly proclaimed table took it upon himself to ease tensions. He looked tired, but was young and shaven like most of the soldiers on the ship.

"They cant be that bad to eat with" He said, motioning towards her original table. He wasn't nervous or unfriendly, but was clearly capitalizing on the fact that Tia was just one person as opposed to a whole crew.

Maccoy
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Maccoy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:21 pm

Tia had been hoping that moving away from the main group would attract one of the other young men, therefore she was not surprised when one addressed her. She decided he looked nice enough to be friendly with, and when she spoke it was evident she was trying to tone down on her heavy accent.

"Oh no! Vey're really good guys, actually. It's just that a girl's got to break away every so often or else she goes crazy. Vey get so domineerin' and over-protective if ee don't shake vem up a bit. Ee guess that's just men."

She smiled and shrugged. "Me name, by the way, is Tianna Edelburg, but everyone calls me Tia."

She looked at her original table to see if the rest of the crew was paying attention. They weren't. Doc was looking sour as the captain and Jeff talked animatedly; judging from their hand gestures they were describing the crazy piloting job that attracted this ship's attention in the first place.

"Ee've never been on a military ship before, or even seen any ship so huge as this. It's quite fine," she added, trying to draw him out.

Iotor
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Iotor » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:37 am

"Pleasure to meet you Tia, I'm Brandon Felix...Corporal" He fleetingly referenced his rank. He didn't really care that much about it, and his uniform spoke more then his mediocre service record could. Maintained, but not pristine.

"Well, they get bigger" Brandon paused as he revised his statement "The ships I mean, this one is going to be taken apart for the colony after we start moving supplies back and forth"

"It is very complex though. I'd offer you the tour, but the last thing I'd want to do is isolate you in a place like this" It was clear that he was unaware of any reason to treat these people as 'others' or 'them'.
Last edited by Iotor on Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Maccoy
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Maccoy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:32 pm

"Pleased to meet you, Corporal Felix. Ee find ve ship is quite interesting. Ee'm very curious though... how are ve staying on the floor here? Your ship doesn't spin and yet vere seems to be gravity."

She looked at the food she was eating. "Ee'm actually not familiar vith almost anythin' here. Vhat planet are you from? Ee'm from Europa moon, Jupiter, meself."

Iotor
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Iotor » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:08 am

Brandon drew an instant blank. He hadn't paid much attention during THAT briefing, he'd just doodled on his notebook. Little bits and pieces were all that came to him, so he answered with the little information he could pull together.

"Well, I'm no techie but I do know that its based on neutronium rods. Its got a lot of mass you see, and that generates a gravity field that keeps us on the floor" As hard as it was to hide, Brandon did his best to conceal the fact he didn't have a clue about the ship. He just worked here.

Brandon cocked his head at the mention of Jupiter.
"People are living that far out? I thought that was just mining industry" His brain worked around the surprise and answered the former question "...Well, I'm Iotor...Uh, nation. Earth"

Maccoy
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Maccoy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:42 am

Tia didn't see anything wrong with his explanation, as she wasn't an engineer herself. Her ship spinned- his generated mass. That was good enough for her. She nodded as if it was perfectly sound technically.

"Earth? Ee've been to one of the space stations vere," she said politely. She didn't like Earth people generally, not because she ever met one but because everybody said they didn't.

"It is usually minin' in the outer planets," she agreed. She pointed at Doc Porlato at the other table. "He grew up as a miner on Io, vhich is a roastin' hellhole of a mine. On Jupiter vey mine hydrogen fuel. On Callisto vey mine minerals and on Europa vey mine water and grow food for the othver colonies. Vay out at Titan, Saturn vey mine too."

She pointed to herself proudly. "And people like us ship it all back to Earth. Or sometimes Venus or Mars. But usually Earth."

Tia looked at him closely. Finally she blurted out: "Is Iotor on an island? Vey say on Earth everybody lives on islands. Vey also it rains all the time and the ground is all soft and mushy vith living stuff and vat everybody lives in skyscraper towers and vat Earvpeople are all barcoded like robots and vat Earvpeople hate Outworlders and vat Earth's moon is so huge it's really a smaller binary planet."

Iotor
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Iotor » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:35 am

Brandon listened quietly as Tia spoke. Growing up, he hadn't learned much of the other worlds. Just simple bite-sized bits of information. Eight planets, Pluto some strange mini-planet, mining on outer-planets, Earth good, everywhere else bad. As Tia spoke, he listened intently and with a nearly gawking mouth.
To him, the idea that people lived out there was like hearing that people chose to live next to volcanoes.

By the end of it, Brandon was bewildered by the sheer amount he didn't know about the rest of the solar system. Most of the people he knew were more concerned about what was happening on their own little green and blue slush ball then learning about the rest of the universe.

If astrology was an eye-opener, this was a cup of water in the face.

He smiled at her question (Or questions). Funnily enough, she was right...Mostly.
"That's right, Iotor is on an island...And it does rain quite a lot, and that makes the ground really mushy-" He stopped himself. He'd realized that he probably sounded like he was patronizing her "Not much living stuff left though. And we don't get bar coded, I guess we're not robots...yet" Brandon's own experiences in Iotor had left a cynical impression of civil liberties on him.

Maccoy
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Maccoy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:34 pm

"Hmm. Ee figured some of vat was ex-a-jerated," she said, struggling with pronounciations. "Earth is usually avoided. Us Outworlders have a spacestation in orbit around Earth so ve don't have to go down to it. Earvpeople don't like Outworlders, and Outworlders don't like Earvpeople, so vere's no reason to meet, see? Novvin' personal at all, really."

She ate some jello. "Makes me vonder why Earth keeps makin' more colonies. Vey all just turn into more Outworlders. But if Outworlders make money, vho's to say?"

With the jello spoon still upside-down in her mouth she tried to keep talking. "You should see Europa sometime. Ve have bea-oo-tiful hydroponics gardens and landscapes, both ice and undervater. It's the nicest outer world, ee think of course."

"You vant to meet my crew? They're the best jumploader crew ee've ever seen," she said proudly.

Iotor
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Iotor » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:28 pm

Brandon was at first confused by her assessment of relationships between Earth and the other worlds. But he couldn't deny the evidence he'd seen throughout his life. Rampant rumors, and the human nature to dislike anything different seemed to coincide way too often. This was just another example.

"Who's to say" He echoed in a more defeated tone. Five minutes speaking to Tia had taught him more about the universe then all of his science teachers put together. They hadn't even mentioned that Europa had civilization on it, and now it sounded prettier then most places on Earth.

"Crew?" He looked over at the nearby table. Honestly there wasn't much else they could be, they just didn't give off that vibe. But then again, his idea of a crew was uniforms and hot-racking. It'd be nice to see the other side. He nodded "That'd be interesting"

Maccoy
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Maccoy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:07 am

"Oh okay," she beamed and then she jumped up towards the other table. "Hey," she said to the rest of the crew. "This is -uh- Corporal Felix. He's an Earther." She gave them a look to say that she was serious, and she wasn't bringing him over just to get punked.

She looked back at him, "This is the captain, Karl Hossien, and then this is Engineer Dmitri Geflin, and this is Doctor Shelvin Portlato."

The others stared at Felix, wondering how to take this. It was just like Tia to do something of the kind; how does one address an Earther? Geflin spoke first. "Uh, nice to meet you. I'm usually just called Jeff. Uh-"

"Iotor is on an island," she prompted awkwardly. "Just like vat vey say, you know. But things aren't all like vat you hear, either. Earvpeople are not too different, eh? Like the Titanians." She chuckled and Jeff forced a grin.

"Um, nice ship," Jeff tried, extending his hand.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates