NATION

PASSWORD

IFC Council (IC)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aigeantir
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aigeantir » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:11 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:Nay to 43. We have a great number of objections:
1. Regarding typical orders of business: It is highly burdensome to the Council to require them to go through a whole farce every time they want to anything. If there is only one thing to discuss; why not simply discuss that without extraneous, unnecessary, and bureaucratic rules?
2. Regarding the general rules of debate: It is quite ridiculous that members should have to be recognized by the chair; it will take forever; and by the time that the chair gets round to recognizing the delegation the delegation might have gone away; and equally to curtail speaking time is utterly ridiculous.
3. Why do we need all these confusing and pedantic and superfluous rules anyway? The chamber is very rarely out of order and whenever it is all we need to do is act with some common sense and according to normal parliamentary convention. Why should we lock ourselves in a straight-jacket like lunatics? I know a few historical delegations should perhaps have been consigned to lunatic asylums; but they were the exception and are certainly not the rule.

EDIT: Forgot to put that this was in regards to Resolution 43

While I do see what Libraria and Ausitoria is saying, as this would be much easier if this was a face-to-face debate rather than over a forum, however I do believe that this resolution sets a standard that is needed so that all members are heard equally. While I understand the resolution has been altered due to the issue with limiting speaking to two questions, I do have to throw it out there that limiting the number of questions per individual will cut down on the "superfluous", and "extraneous" problems as it will keep debate moving. Sorry I wasn't on earlier to discuss it, and as someone who has had my share of rules of order, this looks excellent. It is clear, concise, and with the exception of a missing space I saw in the "General Procedure for Handling a Motion" I fully endorse this with an AYE

C. A motion must normally be seconded by another member before it can be considered.Before the motion is restated by the chair, any member can rise, without waiting to be recognized, and suggest a modification of the wording to clarify the motion.
should read
C. A motion must normally be seconded by another member before it can be considered. Before the motion is restated by the chair, any member can rise, without waiting to be recognized, and suggest a modification of the wording to clarify the motion.
I thought I saw another missing space, but can't seem to find it right now.

My only question is: will this discussion take place on NS Forums or in some other manner?
Last edited by Aigeantir on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leader: High King Conchobar II, IFC Representative: Hon. Carroll Caomh

Elemental North
Senator

Founded: Aug 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:57 pm

Aigeantir wrote:
Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:Nay to 43. We have a great number of objections:
1. Regarding typical orders of business: It is highly burdensome to the Council to require them to go through a whole farce every time they want to anything. If there is only one thing to discuss; why not simply discuss that without extraneous, unnecessary, and bureaucratic rules?
2. Regarding the general rules of debate: It is quite ridiculous that members should have to be recognized by the chair; it will take forever; and by the time that the chair gets round to recognizing the delegation the delegation might have gone away; and equally to curtail speaking time is utterly ridiculous.
3. Why do we need all these confusing and pedantic and superfluous rules anyway? The chamber is very rarely out of order and whenever it is all we need to do is act with some common sense and according to normal parliamentary convention. Why should we lock ourselves in a straight-jacket like lunatics? I know a few historical delegations should perhaps have been consigned to lunatic asylums; but they were the exception and are certainly not the rule.

EDIT: Forgot to put that this was in regards to Resolution 43

While I do see what Libraria and Ausitoria is saying, as this would be much easier if this was a face-to-face debate rather than over a forum, however I do believe that this resolution sets a standard that is needed so that all members are heard equally. While I understand the resolution has been altered due to the issue with limiting speaking to two questions, I do have to throw it out there that limiting the number of questions per individual will cut down on the "superfluous", and "extraneous" problems as it will keep debate moving. Sorry I wasn't on earlier to discuss it, and as someone who has had my share of rules of order, this looks excellent. It is clear, concise, and with the exception of a missing space I saw in the "General Procedure for Handling a Motion" I fully endorse this with an AYE

C. A motion must normally be seconded by another member before it can be considered.Before the motion is restated by the chair, any member can rise, without waiting to be recognized, and suggest a modification of the wording to clarify the motion.
should read
C. A motion must normally be seconded by another member before it can be considered. Before the motion is restated by the chair, any member can rise, without waiting to be recognized, and suggest a modification of the wording to clarify the motion.
I thought I saw another missing space, but can't seem to find it right now.

My only question is: will this discussion take place on NS Forums or in some other manner?

It'll still be placed on the forums, also, thank you for the ringing endorsement! We appreciate it very much. This Resolution took a lot of research, and time to write out. So it's nice to see it is appreciated! :)
Last edited by Elemental North on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:01 pm

With a vote of:

6 AYES
2 ABSTENTIONS
1 NAY

The voting is closed. The Resolution numbered 43 is therefore ADOPTED.

The Rules therein said legislation will be placed into effect immediately.

It is so ordered.
Last edited by Elemental North on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Bratislav
Senator

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bratislav » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:45 am

Republic of Bratislav
Dimitri Sledan

SANCTION ACT ON THE REPUBLIC OF ORDIA

Resolution 44

Given the continuous aggression of the Republic of Ordia against IFC Member State, Republic of Zernovyl, (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=315046&start=150) and the recent incursion of Ordian Forces into the sovereign territory of Zernovyl, this sanction act serves to punish and deter Ordia from further aggression against Zernovyl and its sovereign territory. This bill recognizes that Zernovyl is not requesting IFC Military Assistance; and thus, the need for punishing Ordia on the political and economic front is of utmost important

This Sanction Bill stipulates that all IFC Members:

1) Cut all diplomatic ties with the Republic of Ordia
2) Cut all economic ties with the Republic of Ordia and freeze any assets of Ordian Government officials
3) Strongly affirm the territorial integrity of the Republic of Zernovyl

This bill also recommends that fellow IFC Members give financial and military assistance to the Republic of Zernovyl in its time of need.

Signed,

Dimitri Sledan

[Dimitri Sledan, Republic of Bratislav]
Last edited by Bratislav on Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ATLAS REGION(The Best Region): viewtopic.php?f=23&t=265127
Country Info: http://iiwiki.com/wiki/Bratislav

Zunkwentania
Minister

Founded: Apr 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Zunkwentania » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:54 am

Bratislav wrote:
Republic of Bratislav
Dimitri Sledan

Resolution 44

Given the continuous aggression of the Republic of Ordia against IFC Member State, Republic of Zernovyl, (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=315046&start=150) and the recent incursion of Ordian Forces into the sovereign territory of Zernovyl, this sanction act serves to punish and deter Ordia from further aggression against Zernovyl and its sovereign territory. This bill recognizes that Zernovyl is not requesting IFC Military Assistance; and thus, the need for punishing Ordia on the political and economic front is of utmost important

2) Cut all economic ties with the Republic of Ordia and freeze any assets of Ordian Government officials
3) Put political pressure on Ordia in the international sphere and economic sphere
4) Strongly affirm the territorial integrity of the Republic of Zernovyl

This bill also recommends that fellow IFC Members give financial and military assistance to the Republic of Zernovyl in its time of need.

Signed,

Dimitri Sledan

"Please more clearly define 'political pressure' in the bill."

Bratislav
Senator

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bratislav » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:57 am

Zunkwentania wrote:
Bratislav wrote:
Republic of Bratislav
Dimitri Sledan

Resolution 44

3) Put political pressure on Ordia in the international sphere and economic sphere
4) Strongly affirm the territorial integrity of the Republic of Zernovyl

Signed,

Dimitri Sledan

"Please more clearly define 'political pressure' in the bill."

"That part has been removed."
ATLAS REGION(The Best Region): viewtopic.php?f=23&t=265127
Country Info: http://iiwiki.com/wiki/Bratislav

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:41 am

The Assembly will be called to order.

The approval of last meetings agenda will now commence.

In the last meeting of this Assembly:

- in a vote of 6-2-1, the Rules of the Floor were passed.
-The R.R.F. Cyber Division bill was postponed indefinitely.
-The meeting was closed at approximately 11:34 pm PST, on Monday, November 2, 2014-by default.

The Speaker recognizes the minutes as valid, and motions for them to be accepted. Is there a second to that motion?
Last edited by Elemental North on Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Novo Wagondia
Minister

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Novo Wagondia » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:47 am

Elemental North wrote:The Assembly will be called to order.

-The meeting was closed at approximately 11:34 pm PST, on Monday, November 2, 2014-by default.

The Speaker recognizes the minutes as valid, and motions for them to be accepted. Is there a second to that motion?

The delegate from Wagondia, César Emilio, seconds this motion, and would like to request that a voting session commence for Res. #44
Empire of Wagondia
Map
Prime Ministers
Santa Catalina
"Here man's feet rested at night beside the eagle's feet, in the high gory retreats, and at dawn they trod the rarefied mist with feet of thunder and touched lands and stones until they recognized them in the night"

⚔ ♕ Her Austral and Imperial Majesty, Carmen I ♕ ⚔
△▽△
Modern-day realization of Bolívar's efforts to unify Latin America, with a twist of constitutional monarchy and a dash of overseas empire. The United Fruit Company never existed, and Henry Kissinger retired as an accountant. It all started that one summer, back in Panama, 1826...
▽△▽
Demonym: Wagain

Empire of Andrew

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:54 am

Novo Wagondia wrote:

The delegate from Wagondia, César Emilio, seconds this motion, and would like to request that a voting session commence for Res. #44

The Second is noted. The agenda is accepted.

Seeing as there are no reports from ad hoc committees, or committees of any sort, and no officers currently have any statements to make, we can thus skip to new business, where your motion would lay Delegate. The motion is recognized by the Speaker.

The motion to place Resolution 44 into immediate voting is placed to the floor for a second. Be there one?
Last edited by Elemental North on Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

New Roma Republic
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Roma Republic » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:56 am

"Excuse me, one moment please, why is my nations Resolution postponed indefinitely?"
IC call me NRI, Novus Romanum Imperium, or the New Roman Imperium; OOC call me Roma or New Roma
NRI General Information | NRI Military Overview
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION! | #ValaranSoFab

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:01 pm

New Roma Republic wrote:

"Excuse me, one moment please, why is my nations Resolution postponed indefinitely?"

"You are motioning for a Point of Order, Delegate, and are out of order until the previous motion has been taken care of."
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

New Roma Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Roma Republic » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:03 pm

Elemental North wrote:
New Roma Republic wrote:

"You are motioning for a Point of Order, Delegate, and are out of order until the previous motion has been taken care of."

"I apologize about being out of order. I digress."
IC call me NRI, Novus Romanum Imperium, or the New Roman Imperium; OOC call me Roma or New Roma

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:05 pm

New Roma Republic wrote:
Elemental North wrote:

Noted. The Speaker thanks the Delegation for his apology. Now is there a second to the motion at hand?
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

New Roma Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Roma Republic » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:08 pm

Elemental North wrote:
New Roma Republic wrote:

Noted. The Speaker thanks the Delegation for his apology. Now is there a second to the motion at hand?

"I shall Second the motion."

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:08 pm

On a point of Parliamentary Inquiry, Mr. Speaker; how are you to recognize someone to speak without them asking if they can speak first; and if you do recognize someone to speak and then someone else starts speaking; do they have to start over again; and can anyone else speak in the meantime; and if so, would it be in order for me to raise a point of order against myself; and if so, can we please end this appalling nonsense as soon as possible?
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:13 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:On a point of Parliamentary Inquiry, Mr. Speaker; how are you to recognize someone to speak without them asking if they can speak first; and if you do recognize someone to speak and then someone else starts speaking; do they have to start over again; and can anyone else speak in the meantime; and if so, would it be in order for me to raise a point of order against myself; and if so, can we please end this appalling nonsense as soon as possible?

The Vice President is recognized for Parliamentary Inquiry. I should state this here and now, perfect chance to do so-the recognition to speak is implied automatically-we can move to amend the rules later, if you'd like. Also, if someone else starts speaking, then they must simply wait, like the Delegate from New Roma did, to have their business recognized by the Speaker. And no, you may not raise a point of order against yourself until the current motion is off the table.

The second is noted. Resolution 44 is placed into voting, unless there is an objection?
Last edited by Elemental North on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Novo Wagondia
Minister

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Novo Wagondia » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:15 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:On a point of Parliamentary Inquiry, Mr. Speaker; how are you to recognize someone to speak without them asking if they can speak first; and if you do recognize someone to speak and then someone else starts speaking; do they have to start over again; and can anyone else speak in the meantime; and if so, would it be in order for me to raise a point of order against myself; and if so, can we please end this appalling nonsense as soon as possible?

The delegate from Wagondia seconds this, seeing as there is an excess of formal minutia, namely the recognition process, which the delegate feels will muddle the flow and freedom of debate

The delegate would also like to record a vote of AYE for Res. # 44
Last edited by Novo Wagondia on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Empire of Wagondia
Map
Prime Ministers
Santa Catalina
"Here man's feet rested at night beside the eagle's feet, in the high gory retreats, and at dawn they trod the rarefied mist with feet of thunder and touched lands and stones until they recognized them in the night"

⚔ ♕ Her Austral and Imperial Majesty, Carmen I ♕ ⚔
△▽△
Modern-day realization of Bolívar's efforts to unify Latin America, with a twist of constitutional monarchy and a dash of overseas empire. The United Fruit Company never existed, and Henry Kissinger retired as an accountant. It all started that one summer, back in Panama, 1826...
▽△▽
Demonym: Wagain

Empire of Andrew

Zunkwentania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Zunkwentania » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:16 pm

Novo Wagondia wrote:

The delegate from Wagondia seconds this, seeing as there is an excess of formal minutia, namely the recognition process, which the delegate feels will muddle the flow and freedom of debate

"The Zunkwentanian delegation thirds this, for similar reasons. We need less bureaucracy, not more."

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:18 pm

"May I object? Continuing my point of Parliamentary enquiry, is it not the case that if we cannot debate more than one subject at a time then those of us who do not have time to wait for the gaps between motions will never be able to speak, except by raising points of Parliamentary enquiry? Is this not what we warned this house about?"

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:23 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:"May I object? Continuing my point of Parliamentary enquiry, is it not the case that if we cannot debate more than one subject at a time then those of us who do not have time to wait for the gaps between motions will never be able to speak, except by raising points of Parliamentary enquiry? Is this not what we warned this house about?"

The objections are noted. And I would like to remind the Delegations that the bill, allows for the Rules of the Floor to be amended, and amended is defined in the bill, by a simple 2/3 majority vote. You propose an amendment to the rules, get 2/3 of this Assembly to vote to accept it, and the Speaker will gladly adjust. The rules are a guiding stone, and whilst meant to be followed they are not absolute when it comes to a majority wishing to change them.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:32 pm

"On a point of information, how can or could or did a majority legally pass a rule which requires a supermajority of two-thirds to be amended instead of the invariable simple majority that has always been required by this chamber? I can find absolutely no provision for such a rule in any previous rules?"

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:33 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:"On a point of information, how can or could or did a majority legally pass a rule which requires a supermajority of two-thirds to be amended instead of the invariable simple majority that has always been required by this chamber? I can find absolutely no provision for such a rule in any previous rules?"

"I'm sorry, could you please clarify Mr. Vice President? I'm a bit confused as to what you're asking."
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Zunkwentania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Zunkwentania » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:41 pm

Elemental North wrote:
Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:"On a point of information, how can or could or did a majority legally pass a rule which requires a supermajority of two-thirds to be amended instead of the invariable simple majority that has always been required by this chamber? I can find absolutely no provision for such a rule in any previous rules?"

"I'm sorry, could you please clarify Mr. Vice President? I'm a bit confused as to what you're asking."

"As in, a 51% majority could have passed this bill, which requires a 2/3 supermajority to overrule."

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:57 pm

[OOC: Pending retcon. This was Resolution 45.]
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

Zunkwentania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Zunkwentania » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:01 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:The Delegation from Zunkwentania, although out of order (but who isn't?) is quite correct.

On a point of Parliamentary privilege, we would like to have this debated on post haste:

Libraria and Ausitoria
His Grace Alexias Stella

Parliamentary Procedures Act

[Resolution Number: 45]

Concerned at the immense delay imposed by the cumbersome regulations passed from Resolution no. 43,

Observing that the resolution is far too cumbersome to be easily amended, and lacks any sort of division into subsections,

Hereby repeals Resolution no. 43 and decides:

Section 1: Basic Parliamentary Principles
a) The council has legislative supremacy and sovereignty over the coalition.
b) Any decision by a majority of the Council is the decision of Parliament, wherever or however it may be reached; and any past decision contrary to the most recent decision is invalid.
c) The Council may set whatever conditions it likes for membership of the Council; and all nations in the Coalition shall continue to automatically be granted membership.
d) The Council may not bind a future majority under any conditions whatever.
e) Councils are advised to be sensible.

Section 2: The Conduct of Members
a) Members, subject to future limitations, have the right to communicate with other Council members whenever someone else finishes and may communicate on any subject they like or however they like except for personal remarks.
b) Members are advised to be sensible.

Section 3: The Conduct of Meetings
a) Members may from time to time elect a Speaker. Should there be no speaker, the Prime Minister shall function in that capacity.
b) Elections shall be held by the Secretary-General or any other person demanded by the Senate, whenever more than three Senators demand such an election. During the period of an election, which should be long enough for grievances to be aired; the Secretary-General or any other person demanded shall maintain order.
c) The Speaker may maintain order by any measures he regards as necessary, including formulating rules pursuant to this Resolution.
d) The Speaker is advised to consult with the Council and revise such measures frequently according to popular demand.

Signed,

[His Grace Alexias Stella, Libraria and Ausitoria]

"I apologize for being out of order. But I wholeheartedly endorse this bill."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates