NATION

PASSWORD

The Branding Rule

For discussing a long-overdue overhaul of the Assembly's legislative protocols.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue May 12, 2015 11:49 am

I don't support getting rid of co-authors. The GA and SC function just fine while allowing them, it's just a question of slightly altering the rule itself to avoid annoying cases like players using the wrong tag etc.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Tue May 12, 2015 11:51 am

I'm also with uni on this one: branding should be allowed, but only if the authors can contrive clever acronyms/acrostics of their name to sneak into the text -- after all, what's the point of legislating if you can't feed your ego while doing it?
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Tue May 12, 2015 12:57 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:I don't support getting rid of co-authors. The GA and SC function just fine while allowing them, it's just a question of slightly altering the rule itself to avoid annoying cases like players using the wrong tag etc.

With all due respect, it now seems like a question of eliminating co-authorships altogether. More than a majority of active participants in this discussion seem to be supportive of the idea, so dismissing it out of hand isn't really appropriate.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Tue May 12, 2015 3:47 pm

Can we get a quick straw poll from people? I think we're rehashing a lot of the same arguments, and I wouldn't mind getting a final "vote" from people to get a feeling for where everyone stands with regards to co-authors. (*Note: as a reminder, NS rules/policy is not decided on a democratic basis, etc.)

Options, as I see them:

1) Eliminate co-authors entirely
2) Maintain the current rule (limit 1 co-author, [nation=short] tags)
2a) Ask the Techies for an optional "Co-author" box to fill in upon submission (to make it easier to maintain the current rule)
3) Expand the limit to 2 or 3 co-authors (*please specify two or three)
4) Adopt the SC approach for Co-Authors

Yes, I understand that this won't handle all of the branding rule, but if we can get a rough tally/vote on co-authors, we can hopefully focus in more on the other aspects of Branding rather than spreading our attention and posts on both aspects at one time.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Tue May 12, 2015 3:52 pm

5) Other

Specifically: eliminate coauthors from the text. Whether there's then some additional coauthor box implemented, maybe, maybe not, maybe don't care.
Last edited by The Dark Star Republic on Tue May 12, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Tue May 12, 2015 4:09 pm

1)

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Tue May 12, 2015 4:09 pm

The Dark Star Republic wrote:5) Other

Specifically: eliminate coauthors from the text. Whether there's then some additional coauthor box implemented, maybe, maybe not, maybe don't care.

So option 1? Or 2a? Because we've never policed what you can put in your proposal thread on the forum, in that regard, so far as I know.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Tue May 12, 2015 4:14 pm

I'm for option 1, personally. I wouldn't be crushed if option 2a was accepted, but I'd much prefer eliminating co-authors altogether.
Last edited by Sciongrad on Tue May 12, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Tue May 12, 2015 4:17 pm

Mousebumples wrote:
The Dark Star Republic wrote:5) Other

So option 1? Or 2a?

Either? Both? Neither?

Eliminate coauthors entirely from the text. Some coauthor field could be added, as per 2a, but I'm not lobbying for a coauthor field to be added; all I'm voting for is banning coauthors entirely from the resolution text. If coauthors are listed in forum threads/dispatches/NSwiki articles/etc., that's fine too. It really should not be a very difficult distinction to make, but if you genuinely can't follow and as such can't tally my vote in the poll, then I suppose that's my loss to bear.
Last edited by The Dark Star Republic on Tue May 12, 2015 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snefaldia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 05, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Snefaldia » Tue May 12, 2015 6:18 pm

Option 1, or Gruen's Option 5 (which sounds like a great Ska band name) if we're counting that opinion.
Welcome to Snefaldia!
Also the player behind: Kartlis & Sabaristan

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

The Branding Rule

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue May 12, 2015 7:22 pm

If there's no other reason to remove coauthors completely than just "I don't like them" -- then that suggestion should be summarily thrown out.

2a is the most sensible solution.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Tue May 12, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue May 12, 2015 7:26 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Kaboomlandia wrote:Happy to kick this off!

What I would suggest is a choice between:
  • two co-authors, in short form
  • one co-author, in long form - unless the signature is something of Mall/Mouse/Sedge length.

Why do you think this is superior to the current rule?

I am going to advocate doing away with the Branding rule in its entirety. If players want to waste characters listing ten coauthors I say we let the voters punish them for it. Alternatively it may allow for greater cooperation on proposals. Additionally if players wish to state their own name ten times in a proposal I think that such proposals will be weeded out at vote or in the queue.

Yes, awesome. I agree. Not that I'd do it, but say there's a proposal where three people helped co-author it, you should be able to list all of them you feel it is necessary to list. Obviously, delegates should be smart enough to not support submitted proposals that feature your nation name 20 times at the bottom.

But I'd settle for #3 of Mousebumples options (with 3 co-authors) if the SC rule is not accepted.
Last edited by Excidium Planetis on Tue May 12, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Omigodtheyclonedkenny
Secretary

Founded: Jan 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Omigodtheyclonedkenny » Wed May 13, 2015 12:36 am

1)

failing that, 2a)

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed May 13, 2015 5:28 am

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Wed May 13, 2015 6:28 am

4, and I'll go the extra mile and explain why. It works in the SC. There aren't lists of coauthors twenty pages long despite the concerns here in this thread. I'd rather give players the freedom to write their proposals as they wish in regards to branding and have the mods take a more hands off approach. Let the players decide what is worthy and what isn't.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Wed May 13, 2015 6:40 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:I'd rather give players the freedom to write their proposals as they wish in regards to branding and have the mods take a more hands off approach. Let the players decide what is worthy and what isn't.

So why isn't this same philosophy applied to NatSov repeal arguments, to proposal format and "blogposals"? Or is this all just a prelude to you removing whatever tatters remain of the Honest Mistake rule?

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Wed May 13, 2015 6:48 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:I'd rather give players the freedom to write their proposals as they wish in regards to branding and have the mods take a more hands off approach. Let the players decide what is worthy and what isn't.

So why isn't this same philosophy applied to NatSov repeal arguments, to proposal format and "blogposals"? Or is this all just a prelude to you removing whatever tatters remain of the Honest Mistake rule?

I do apply this same philosophy to those things. I just haven't posted in the blogposal thread yet.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Greater Louisistan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Louisistan » Wed May 13, 2015 7:16 am

2a
~ Deputy Ambassador Roland Schulz (if not marked otherwise)
Info on the WA Caucus of Greater Louisistan: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=gre ... ok/id=main

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2004

Postby Tzorsland » Wed May 13, 2015 11:39 am

"A spindizzy going sour makes the galaxy's most unnerving noise!"
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Wed May 13, 2015 11:50 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:4, and I'll go the extra mile and explain why. It works in the SC. There aren't lists of coauthors twenty pages long despite the concerns here in this thread. I'd rather give players the freedom to write their proposals as they wish in regards to branding and have the mods take a more hands off approach. Let the players decide what is worthy and what isn't.

The fear isn't that the list will be long. That, on its own, isn't really a bad thing. But including co-authors at all just reeks of ego inflating. And I don't think it works in the SC. While I certainly don't participate in the SC, I generally perceive it as a place that celebrates self-gratification. I don't think you'll convince anyone of the success of anything here by citing the SC. Again, there's no problem thanking people on the forums or anything, but it doesn't make any sense to include a plug in the text of the resolution itself.

Ideological Bulwark #271

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed May 13, 2015 11:54 am

I'd consider 2a as a backup, but getting "the techies" to add something is never a quick solution. It's not as simple as adding a new field in the submission POST box. You'd also have to rearrange the proposals page, the At-Vote page, and the historical resolutions pages. You'd also have to create a break point at which older passed resolutions didn't have the field, and newer ones did. And that's ignoring trophies - adding a co-author trophy or even just giving them another Author trophy would involve getting into an entirely separate subroutine, and would involve changes to Update. I'm sure there are other aspects I've either missed or never knew about. I'm just saying it's not likely to be viable.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed May 13, 2015 1:05 pm

Sciongrad wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:4, and I'll go the extra mile and explain why. It works in the SC. There aren't lists of coauthors twenty pages long despite the concerns here in this thread. I'd rather give players the freedom to write their proposals as they wish in regards to branding and have the mods take a more hands off approach. Let the players decide what is worthy and what isn't.

The fear isn't that the list will be long. That, on its own, isn't really a bad thing. But including co-authors at all just reeks of ego inflating. And I don't think it works in the SC. While I certainly don't participate in the SC, I generally perceive it as a place that celebrates self-gratification. I don't think you'll convince anyone of the success of anything here by citing the SC. Again, there's no problem thanking people on the forums or anything, but it doesn't make any sense to include a plug in the text of the resolution itself.

How does having co-authors reek of ego inflating?
And more specifically, why do you not like a practice that is frequently carried out in real life legislatures?
Don't users have a right to know who authored a resolution?
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Wed May 13, 2015 1:22 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:How does having co-authors reek of ego inflating?

Because recognizing someone's assistance can very easily be done on the forums, where anyone can see it. Inserting a co-author's name into the actual text of the resolution places an unwanted emphasis on getting recognition. All you have to do is read Unibot's claims that getting a co-authorship plug is like bathing in a pool of pure white marmoreal ecstasy and you'll see that their only purpose is to garner even more recognition for passing a resolution. Glory shouldn't be the purpose of participating in the GA, and any prospective "co-author" should only be contributing to a resolution to improve the resolution, not to get their name plastered in front of 20,000 strangers. And if the author truly feels that individual is worthy of praise, they can be mentioned on the forum, where the only people that will care can be found.

And more specifically, why do you not like a practice that is frequently carried out in real life legislatures?

The WA is not a legislature. It's an international body that passes resolutions, like the RL UN. And the real world General Assembly does not present co-authors in the text of resolutions.

Don't users have a right to know who authored a resolution?

What? Why? Assuming that 99% of voters actually did care about who wrote the resolution (they don't), I don't see why knowing who co-authored the resolution should in any way impact their decision.

Glen-Rhodes wrote: that suggestion should be summarily thrown out.

No.
Last edited by Sciongrad on Wed May 13, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Ideological Bulwark #271

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Wed May 13, 2015 2:56 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:Don't users have a right to know who authored a resolution?

Not really. The text of the resolution is what matters.
Last edited by The Dark Star Republic on Wed May 13, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Defwa
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Defwa » Wed May 13, 2015 2:56 pm

Three would be friendly, that's for sure.

I'm not sure if it falls under branding, but a specific time against deceptive names should be present. For instance, WA Charter Commision should not be submitting anything.
__________Federated City States of ____________________Defwa__________
Federation Head High Wizard of Dal Angela Landfree
Ambassadorial Delegate Maestre Wizard Mikyal la Vert

President and World Assembly Delegate of the Democratic Socialist Assembly
Defwa offers assistance with humanitarian aid, civilian evacuation, arbitration, negotiation, and human rights violation monitoring.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly Rules Consortium