NATION

PASSWORD

The Joke/Bloody Stupid Rule

For discussing a long-overdue overhaul of the Assembly's legislative protocols.
Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

The Joke/Bloody Stupid Rule

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Mon May 04, 2015 1:35 pm

Joke/Silly Proposals

These are proposals which serve no other purpose than to be humorous. If you really want to share your amusing proposal then post it in the GA forum.

Bloody Stupid

Every now and then a Proposal crops up that, for lack of a more tactful description, is stupid. This is clearly a judgment call, but if you're going to mandate that all cars be pink, you're gonna have a dead proposal on your hands. This includes things that are unworthy of WA consideration (such as mandating allowances for children who eat their vegetables).
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sat May 16, 2015 5:03 pm

Discussion bump.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sat May 16, 2015 5:10 pm

Every now and then

Not to judge by the Silly/Illegal Proposals thread; this violation is more commonly cited than just about any other!

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat May 16, 2015 5:11 pm

I think it's overused. I'm looking at you, Kaboomlandia.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sat May 16, 2015 5:14 pm

Drop it entirely. Just make "I don't agree with this" a rule, and it might console the silly/illegal spammers. :roll:
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sat May 16, 2015 6:13 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:I think it's overused. I'm looking at you, Kaboomlandia.

I was waiting to see how long until somebody brought my name into this :lol:
I'm for keeping it, as we do need a rule to weed out the pure crap, but I am in favour of merging it with Format, as they seem to be similar.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat May 16, 2015 6:16 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:I am in favour of merging it with Format, as they seem to be similar.

Perhaps something like:
Proposals need to be more than just empty rhetoric or on insignificant issues. This includes repeals with no argument or are one-liners, proposals that are questions ("Don't you think we should...?"), proposals which sound like a blog entry, and proposals that are just too incomprehensible to make sense of.

Also deals with the fact that we might want to get rid of blog-posal.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sat May 16, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sat May 16, 2015 6:21 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Kaboomlandia wrote:I am in favour of merging it with Format, as they seem to be similar.

Perhaps something like:
Proposals need to be more than just empty rhetoric or on insignificant issues. This includes repeals with no argument, one-liners, proposals that are questions ("Don't you think we should...?"), and proposals that are just too incomprehensible to make sense of.

So, merge it with Format and call it "Local Issues"?
Last edited by Kaboomlandia on Sat May 16, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sat May 16, 2015 7:01 pm

Imperium Anglorum, can you not use neon green for your "change" color? I'm sure it looks obvious on the Dark Theme, but it's blinding on the standard theme.

DodgerBlue or Red might be good alternatives.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sat May 16, 2015 7:02 pm

Also, with your "proposals that sound like a blog entry", you're advocating merging BS and Blogposal?
Co-Author of SC #204

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat May 16, 2015 7:19 pm

Mousebumples wrote:Imperium Anglorum, can you not use neon green for your "change" color? I'm sure it looks obvious on the Dark Theme, but it's blinding on the standard theme.

Alright. Didn't know about that one. I'll change the shade of green, I guess. I'll use standard green. Didn't know that you could just specify your colour using standard text.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sat May 16, 2015 7:26 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:Imperium Anglorum, can you not use neon green for your "change" color? I'm sure it looks obvious on the Dark Theme, but it's blinding on the standard theme.

Alright. Didn't know about that one. I'll change the shade of green, I guess. I'll use standard green. Didn't know that you could just specify your colour using standard text.

Yup, you totally can. [/random Tech coding note] And thanks!
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sat May 16, 2015 7:31 pm

The Dark Star Republic wrote:Not to judge by the Silly/Illegal Proposals thread; this violation is more commonly cited than just about any other!

By players, absolutely. By mods, not so much.

I just ran a search on the mod logs from May 28 2014 until today, and I found a grand total of four proposals which were removed with "Bloody Stupid" listed as the sole reason for removal. It was cited 14 additional times, with comments like [bloody stupid, branding, category] and one which might belong on the first list, [bloody stupid, gibberish, NatSov(?)].

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Drop it entirely.

Whether it's an official GA rule or not, I suspect mods will continue to delete spam proposals. That's when people submit a proposal consisting of nothing but smilies, or "fukyou" repeated 200 times, or the idiot who has been posting pages of "wee woo" spam on RMB pages and has moved on to other places since being RMB banned. I suspect that most of the actual "bloody stupid" mod removals are more spam than anything.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sat May 16, 2015 7:51 pm

Bloody Stupid is rarely reported on its own. Some of the other violations that are usually seen with it are blogposal, metagaming, and category fails.
Co-Author of SC #204

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat May 16, 2015 9:46 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Drop it entirely.

Whether it's an official GA rule or not, I suspect mods will continue to delete spam proposals. That's when people submit a proposal consisting of nothing but smilies, or "fukyou" repeated 200 times, or the idiot who has been posting pages of "wee woo" spam on RMB pages and has moved on to other places since being RMB banned. I suspect that most of the actual "bloody stupid" mod removals are more spam than anything.

While I do not doubt that the mods will continue doing this — dropping the rule entirely (as my suggestion does — by incorporating all the 'your proposal sucks' rules into one) — it is best to have 'legal' justification for any moderator actions.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sun May 17, 2015 12:14 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
The Dark Star Republic wrote:Not to judge by the Silly/Illegal Proposals thread; this violation is more commonly cited than just about any other!

By players, absolutely. By mods, not so much.

That doesn't surprise me at all. I rarely if ever see the mods remove a proposal on those grounds (and quite often those proposals would fail the blogposal/format rule anyway). Yet still , certain players seem to believe they can write off proposals about universal healthcare or gun control on those grounds. It's become the "I don't agree with this proposal" rule.

Old Hope
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Sun May 17, 2015 12:30 am

Jokes:
Remove. Proposals clearly intended to be jokes only should not be submitted.
However those will break other rules. If something is legal otherwise, then there will be some effect the WA can debate upon
Bloody Stupid:
I am sure the WA doesn't need the mods to tell them what is Bloody Stupid. It can surely decide on its own what it thinks to be bloody stupid.
This rule isn't necessary.
Imperium Anglorum wrote:The format wars are a waste of time.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun May 17, 2015 1:11 am

Fundamentally, I found this rule either pointless (due to the reasons cited by DSR) or boiled down to something that deals with the issues dealt with in the resolution not being significant.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sun May 17, 2015 1:17 am

I feel like we all understand that the mods have to exercise a certain degree of discretion in removing spam and nonsense, whether it's formally listed in the rules or not. I don't agree so much with the last part of the rule, though:
This includes things that are unworthy of WA consideration (such as mandating allowances for children who eat their vegetables).

What is worthy of WA consideration still largely seems to be the sort of thing the players should be deciding. Ardchoille has even said before:
"Beneath/not worthy of the WA's notice" is an argument that belongs in the debate phase of a proposal's life. It's not a reason to list it in the "Silly/Illegal" thread.
"Not worthy" (or "too minor", or "too local") is too subjective.
If "not appropriate" was a violation, a "sovereigntist" mod could quite honestly see legislation on, say, capital punishment, as not something the WA should consider, and delete it.
Last edited by The Dark Star Republic on Sun May 17, 2015 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun May 17, 2015 5:19 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:I feel like we all understand that the mods have to exercise a certain degree of discretion in removing spam and nonsense, whether it's formally listed in the rules or not. I don't agree so much with the last part of the rule, though:
This includes things that are unworthy of WA consideration (such as mandating allowances for children who eat their vegetables).

What is worthy of WA consideration still largely seems to be the sort of thing the players should be deciding.

Agreed.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sun May 17, 2015 7:39 am

Old Hope wrote:Jokes:
However those will break other rules. If something is legal otherwise, then there will be some effect the WA can debate upon
It is completely possible to write a proposal that is completely legal aside from it being a joke, I should know I've done it.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sun May 17, 2015 7:41 am

Flibbleites wrote:
Old Hope wrote:Jokes:
It is completely possible to write a proposal that is completely legal aside from it being a joke, I should know I've done it.

You didn't actually submit that, did you? :p
Co-Author of SC #204

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sun May 17, 2015 7:51 am

Kaboomlandia wrote:
Flibbleites wrote:It is completely possible to write a proposal that is completely legal aside from it being a joke, I should know I've done it.

You didn't actually submit that, did you? :p

Not officially, but it was listed as being at vote for a day (nobody could actually vote on it though) as part of an April Fool's Day prank.

Snefaldia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 05, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Snefaldia » Sun May 17, 2015 8:08 am

Much as I love funny joke proposals I think that rule makes sense. I don't think the WA should be told what they can and can't vote on in terms of "bloody stupid" though, so what about a rule that states something like "all resolutions should attempt to cover a legitimate policy area, spam proposals will be deleted."
Welcome to Snefaldia!
Also the player behind: Kartlis & Sabaristan

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun May 17, 2015 8:55 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:I feel like we all understand that the mods have to exercise a certain degree of discretion in removing spam and nonsense, whether it's formally listed in the rules or not. I don't agree so much with the last part of the rule, though:

What is worthy of WA consideration still largely seems to be the sort of thing the players should be deciding.

How about somebody tackling a rewrite, then? I'm not seeing a consensus to drop the rule, but am seeing several complaints about the language.

Let's use this topic to constructively rewrite the rule rather than simply pointing out its flaws.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly Rules Consortium