PASSWORD

Warning for scripters: Please don't abuse novelty days

For all your ByteCoin needs!
[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Warning for scripters: Please don't abuse novelty days

Postby [violet] » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:20 pm

UPDATE: Note this is a very old post, and the Script Rules quoted below are out of date. Scripts were subsequently banned from issuing any commands at all for special event mini-games.

As you may know, NationStates periodically has a novelty day, like the zombie invasion last Halloween, the April Fools days, and the Ten Year Anniversary. Often these days feature some kind of mini-game.

The last two novelty days in particular have been abused by a small number of individuals who write bots to cheat the system. These bots break our Script Rules in order to gain an advantage for the author.

In the past, I've let this things slide, because I'm too busy to chase it down during the day, and it seems churlish to punish people afterward, when I have time to go through the logs. The days are, after all, supposed to be fun.

But it's also disheartening to put this work into novelty days only to have people take the top rankings by cheating. And it's unfair on everyone who plays by the rules.

So if you are script-inclined, please take this as a final warning that I will be banning accounts for breaking site rules during a novelty day, even if I don't get around to examining the evidence until weeks or months later.

Script Rules wrote:It is illegal to use a tool to automatically cause something in the gameworld to change, other than your own nation. Examples include: moving regions, sending a telegram to another nation, banning a nation from a region, creating a nation, and endorsing another nation. These are referred to below as "restricted actions."

A tool is working "automatically" if it executes a restricted action in any way other than by immediately responding to a user's mouse click (or similar input) at the ratio of one click to one action. For example, a tool that sends ban requests to the server at five-second intervals, regardless of user input, is executing restricted actions automatically, and is illegal. However, a tool that makes ban buttons appear on pages where they aren't normally present is legal, as this requires a user's click to change anything in the gameworld.

A tool may never execute restricted actions simultaneously. It must wait for the completion of each command--a complete response from the NationStates server--before issuing the next one. A tool should never spawn background processes to enable multiple simultaneous server connections that each perform a restricted action.

You may use a tool to execute actions that only affect your own nation, such as answering issues or changing custom fields.

Scripts must send no more than 10 requests per minute.
Last edited by [violet] on Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:46 am

Violet,

Last time I wrote a script that set all my nations to research the cure. I assume that (and similar) is still legal, since it only changes my own nation(s)?

(just checking, but I'd rather be safe than sorry :P)
The Blaatschapen should resign

DWAsnia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby DWAsnia » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:21 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:Violet,

Last time I wrote a script that set all my nations to research the cure. I assume that (and similar) is still legal, since it only changes my own nation(s)?

I'm assuming a script that, for example, launches cure missiles is illegal because you're causing somebody else's nation to change. (Their stats, national happenings, etc.)
<Acario> it is Drasnia's job to shit in people's cheerios On a self-imposed forum hiatus.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:14 pm

DWAsnia wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:Violet,

I'm assuming a script that, for example, launches cure missiles is illegal because you're causing somebody else's nation to change. (Their stats, national happenings, etc.)

Yes, but that's not what I asked. I just want to be 100% safe (I have to be; can you imagine what happens otherwise, and how foolish that will look on both Vio and me? :P)

Shadow Afforess
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadow Afforess » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:06 pm

I solemnly swear.

Last edited by Shadow Afforess on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:17 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:Last time I wrote a script that set all my nations to research the cure. I assume that (and similar) is still legal, since it only changes my own nation(s)?

Yes indeed. The easy rule of thumb is to look at what lines the script generates in National Happenings. If it doesn't generate any new lines, or only does so in your own nation, and it acts no more than once every 10 seconds, it's fine. If it generates log lines in another nation's Happenings, or a region's, or the WA, it's prohibited.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:19 pm

Shadow Afforess wrote:I solemnly swear.

(Image)

Thank you!

Hobbesistan
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:38 pm

I will not write scripts to cheat the April Fools Event
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

(Ret.) Maintainer of the Nationstates FAQ and Deletiger (Ret.) of The East Pacific
russia's greatest

Hobbes is always winning, like Charlie Sheen. - Jurisdictions
love machine

Stop right there (hobbes), your rational thought and intellect will destroy the internet. - Sovreignry
it was a shame how

Giraffes think Hobbes regret a lot. A lot of giraffes do. - Rachel
he carried on.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:43 pm

Don't worry about me. I can't code worth shit anyways. :p

No, seriously. I suck.

Freedom Planita 2
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Freedom Planita 2 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:31 pm

I have I question, on Halloween, my friends and I used macros to auto fire cure missiles at other nations. Is that illegal now?
-SWEDEN 2.0-

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:41 pm

Freedom Planita 2 wrote:I have I question, on Halloween, my friends and I used macros to auto fire cure missiles at other nations. Is that illegal now?

I don't know exactly what you mean by macros, but probably yes, that kind of thing has been prohibited for quite a long time.

Hobbesistan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:42 pm

[violet] wrote:
Freedom Planita 2 wrote:I have I question, on Halloween, my friends and I used macros to auto fire cure missiles at other nations. Is that illegal now?

I don't know exactly what you mean by macros, but probably yes, that kind of thing has been prohibited for quite a long time.

Keybinds, more or less.

i.e pressing F5 clicks nation X and fires cure missile.
Last edited by Hobbesistan on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

(Ret.) Maintainer of the Nationstates FAQ and Deletiger (Ret.) of The East Pacific
russia's greatest

love machine

Stop right there (hobbes), your rational thought and intellect will destroy the internet. - Sovreignry
it was a shame how

he carried on.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:47 pm

Hobbesistan wrote:
[violet] wrote:I don't know exactly what you mean by macros, but probably yes, that kind of thing has been prohibited for quite a long time.

Keybinds, more or less.

i.e pressing F5 clicks nation X and fires cure missile.

Oh, well as per the OP (see the quoted script rules), it's okay if the tool is only "immediately responding to a user's mouse click (or similar input) at the ratio of one click to one action." That isn't considered to be "automatically" carrying out actions.

Jeckland
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:44 pm

If there is a new forum for April fools day, can this be stickied there?
Winners: N/A
Runners Up: WBC 30 & 31, Memorial Cup
Semi Final: CE 26, WBC 35, WLC 20

Usual People In Life
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Usual People In Life » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:52 am

Apologies if this isn't totally related to this thread, but I've manually searched (from the player facing interface and scriptless, honest!) half the site and I can't find any trace of this years NS April Fools jokes anywhere - are we actually doing one this year???
When is a nation not a nation? When it's a region!

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:17 am

Usual People In Life wrote:Apologies if this isn't totally related to this thread, but I've manually searched (from the player facing interface and scriptless, honest!) half the site and I can't find any trace of this years NS April Fools jokes anywhere - are we actually doing one this year???

Search the other half of the site.

Zaldakki
Minister

Founded: Oct 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaldakki » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:55 am

Can we donate our puppets' bytecoins to our main nations, as long as it's not through a script?

The Black Hat Guy
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Hat Guy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:25 am

Zaldakki wrote:Can we donate our puppets' bytecoins to our main nations, as long as it's not through a script?

Yes. This is completely unrelated to puppets you create (or have created) manually.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:30 pm

Just to get your attention, [Violet], I wish to make you an offer.
Last edited by Esternial on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zaldakki
Minister

Founded: Oct 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaldakki » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:13 pm

Why are there two clones of this thread? Here's another with the exact same posts, except missing the last few: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=289697

Hobbesistan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:14 pm

[violet] cloned a copy here to make sure people see it.
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

russia's greatest

love machine

it was a shame how

he carried on.

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:06 pm

What are the chances (or where can I find the associated thread) of making this game a more permanent fixture. (Although admittedly, I think we just overloaded the servers, I was getting 503 Service Unavailable for the last ten minutes!)
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:13 pm

Enfaru wrote:What are the chances (or where can I find the associated thread) of making this game a more permanent fixture. (Although admittedly, I think we just overloaded the servers, I was getting 503 Service Unavailable for the last ten minutes!)

Without significant improvements, I would put it at a million to one. Oh shoot, I am Ogilvy apparently in the War of the Worlds!
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:48 am

If we do zombies again and there is a script to change a nations pop to zombies for example...would it be alright to use it so long as it only affects you?

Because last Halloween was annoying in terms of that.

Anyways I hope to see a large ban list soon >:P

...just kidding.
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to ByteCoin Exchange