NATION

PASSWORD

What Is This Whole Zombie Thing?

OH GOD! They're back! The scratching, the moaning, there's blood everywhere! I'm all out of bullets! If anyone can hear this transmission, save yourselves!
Quilavaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

What Is This Whole Zombie Thing?

Postby Quilavaland » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:03 pm

I have no friggin idea what is going on. Will my nation get deleted? How do I block the zombies out of the region I made for my Grandma? I doubt she'll understand this. If I don't click the close borders option exactly at the right time will zombies get in anyway? Somebody please tell me what's going on.
I am very far left-wing socially and economically in between capitalism and communism.
I'm sort of a "Radical Centrist", I guess. I support the Australian Green Party most out of any political party, though I don't fully agree with anyone.
Quilava is by far my favourite pokemon as it is cute and badass at the same time and has a fire mohawk!

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:19 pm

There's not really anything you can do to stop the infection altogether, but your population will revert to normal after the event. So for 3 days after it starts things might seem a bit weird, but after that everything will be just as it was before. If you want to you can really just ignore it.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

Quilavaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Quilavaland » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:25 pm

Nature-Spirits wrote:There's not really anything you can do to stop the infection altogether, but your population will revert to normal after the event. So for 3 days after it starts things might seem a bit weird, but after that everything will be just as it was before. If you want to you can really just ignore it.

Why didn't I get told about this in the FAQ? I mean your whole population being killed by zombies once a year is kind of a major feature. I wouldn't have made a country I was emotionally invested in if I knew that was going to happen.
I am very far left-wing socially and economically in between capitalism and communism.
I'm sort of a "Radical Centrist", I guess. I support the Australian Green Party most out of any political party, though I don't fully agree with anyone.
Quilava is by far my favourite pokemon as it is cute and badass at the same time and has a fire mohawk!

Great Franconia and Verana
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Franconia and Verana » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:29 pm

Quilavaland wrote:
Nature-Spirits wrote:There's not really anything you can do to stop the infection altogether, but your population will revert to normal after the event. So for 3 days after it starts things might seem a bit weird, but after that everything will be just as it was before. If you want to you can really just ignore it.

Why didn't I get told about this in the FAQ? I mean your whole population being killed by zombies once a year is kind of a major feature. I wouldn't have made a country I was emotionally invested in if I knew that was going to happen.

They return once the infection is over.
So say 20 million people die, they will just reappear after 3 days.

Quilavaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Quilavaland » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:32 pm

Great Franconia and Verana wrote:
Quilavaland wrote:Why didn't I get told about this in the FAQ? I mean your whole population being killed by zombies once a year is kind of a major feature. I wouldn't have made a country I was emotionally invested in if I knew that was going to happen.

They return once the infection is over.

Are there any effects other than the population?

Great Franconia and Verana
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Franconia and Verana » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:34 pm

Quilavaland wrote:
Great Franconia and Verana wrote:They return once the infection is over.

Are there any effects other than the population?

Not that I can remember, but you never know, they might try something new.
But even if they do, it's just going to be for three days, totally temporary.

Hyfling
Minister

Founded: May 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hyfling » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:43 pm

Every year on Halloween, the nations get attacked by zombies, if it's like last years, you eventually have the ability to fire rockets containing the cure into neighbor nations (to cure some of their people) send swarms of zombies in (to infect that nation) or just kill their zombies (lowers their population and kills some zombies) You can't do anything in your own nation until you have a complete cure for the zombies. Until then, you have to rely on other nations have to cure/infect you.

It's sort of a fun break from regular NS. But the game runs normally without it, so you don't have to participate.

Once it's over your nation returns to normal, so don't worry about your population dying out or anything.

Quilavaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Quilavaland » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:27 am

Hyfling wrote:Every year on Halloween, the nations get attacked by zombies, if it's like last years, you eventually have the ability to fire rockets containing the cure into neighbor nations (to cure some of their people) send swarms of zombies in (to infect that nation) or just kill their zombies (lowers their population and kills some zombies) You can't do anything in your own nation until you have a complete cure for the zombies. Until then, you have to rely on other nations have to cure/infect you.

It's sort of a fun break from regular NS. But the game runs normally without it, so you don't have to participate.

Once it's over your nation returns to normal, so don't worry about your population dying out or anything.

So the only thing that changes is population? If that's the case I could just make a factbook saying Quilavaland's population migrates to a hidden area at this time of year to celebrate a Cookie festival and that's why there's a drop in official population figures. :3

McMasterdonia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 19, 2012
Mother Knows Best State

Postby McMasterdonia » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:37 am

There is no need to do that. This is a 36 hour event. After those 36 hours, everything in your nation will return to normal. Your population will continue to grow as normal. The dead vs infected vs alive stats will only be in place for the zombie event.

Celinyca
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 26, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Celinyca » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:16 am

Why isn't there an opt-out for the event?

If there's one thing people hate more than anyone else, it's being meddled with. Especially unecessarily. Why can't there be a proper opt-out for the event so people who don't want to see their nation's population slaughtered and/or receive messages for 36 hours telling them that this is happening, just opt out?

I guarantee that the lack of clear explanation about this event has and will lead to players leaving the game (not a lot of players, but some - especially people who aren't very computer savvy and don't even know the forums exist). This thread is evidence of the lack of clarity.

It isn't clear to people that this is a temporary event and those people will be upset and leave when they start seeing their populations die.

Grandais
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Grandais » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:48 am

Celinyca wrote:Why isn't there an opt-out for the event?

If there's one thing people hate more than anyone else, it's being meddled with. Especially unecessarily. Why can't there be a proper opt-out for the event so people who don't want to see their nation's population slaughtered and/or receive messages for 36 hours telling them that this is happening, just opt out?

I guarantee that the lack of clear explanation about this event has and will lead to players leaving the game (not a lot of players, but some - especially people who aren't very computer savvy and don't even know the forums exist). This thread is evidence of the lack of clarity.

It isn't clear to people that this is a temporary event and those people will be upset and leave when they start seeing their populations die.

Every time we have an event for April Fools' or somesuch, people complain. If it's really that big of a deal, your nation will be fine without you for the few days of the event.
DEFCON 5 [4] 3 2 1
Grandais News|Factbook|Embassies

Quilavaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Quilavaland » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:53 am

McMasterdonia wrote:There is no need to do that. This is a 36 hour event. After those 36 hours, everything in your nation will return to normal. Your population will continue to grow as normal. The dead vs infected vs alive stats will only be in place for the zombie event.

Wait so there's dead, infected and alive statistics too? Why did nobody mention that? I am really unimpressed by how little information new users have been given. I can just see my Grandma doing her weekly check on her country to find death statistics and being absolutely baffled.

Quilavaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Quilavaland » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:54 am

Grandais wrote:
Celinyca wrote:Why isn't there an opt-out for the event?

<span>[img]<a class="linkclass" href="http://i.picresize.com/images/2014/10/21/6BLFW.jpg[/img" rollapp-href="http://i.picresize.com/images/2014/10/21/6BLFW.jpg[/img">http://i.picresize.com/images/2014/10/21/6BLFW.jpg[/img</a>]</span>

Every time we have an event for April Fools' or somesuch, people complain. If it's really that big of a deal, your nation will be fine without you for the few days of the event.

Actually an opt-out is quite reasonable. Everyone else can still have their fun, and the more sensitive among us don't have to see death statistics. It's actually a really sensible idea. It doesn't hurt you in any way if other people aren't involved. If you really want to push the thing on people, then how about a suspended animation option so your population is immune to the crisis but you can't do anything with your country until the zombie apocalypse is over. That way you still lose something but at least there's not death.
Last edited by Quilavaland on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:56 am

Quilavaland wrote:
McMasterdonia wrote:There is no need to do that. This is a 36 hour event. After those 36 hours, everything in your nation will return to normal. Your population will continue to grow as normal. The dead vs infected vs alive stats will only be in place for the zombie event.

Wait so there's dead, infected and alive statistics too? Why did nobody mention that? I am really unimpressed by how little information new users have been given. I can just see my Grandma doing her weekly check on her country to find death statistics and being absolutely baffled.

EVERYTHING WILL BE BACK TO NORMAL AFTER THE EVENT!
Greater Ardokian Empire | It is Ardoki's destiny to rule the whole world!
Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Republic

Head of State: Grand Emperor Alistair Killian Moriarty
Head of Government: Grand Imperial Chancellor Kennedy Rowan Coleman
Legislature: Imperial Senate
Ruling Party: Imperial Progressive Party
Technology Level: MT (Primary) | PMT, FanT (Secondary)
Politics: Social Democrat
Religion: None
Personality Type: ENTP 3w4

Quilavaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Quilavaland » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:59 am

Ardoki wrote:
Quilavaland wrote:Wait so there's dead, infected and alive statistics too? Why did nobody mention that? I am really unimpressed by how little information new users have been given. I can just see my Grandma doing her weekly check on her country to find death statistics and being absolutely baffled.

If it will be back to normal anyway then what do you have to lose by just adding an opt-out option and shutting up the yearly complainers. Besides, some people who don't check the news and forums, such as my Grandma, may not know it's temporary and just leave. Is that really worth it? Just add the option, how hard can it be? And think of the trouble it would save.

I'm not saying cancel the whole event, that would be stupid. I'm just saying let people opt out of it.

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:00 am

Quilavaland wrote:
Ardoki wrote:EVERYTHING WILL BE BACK TO NORMAL AFTER THE EVENT!

If it will be back to normal anyway then what do you have to lose by just adding an opt-out option and shutting up the yearly complainers. Besides, some people who don't check the news and forums, such as my Grandma, may not know it's temporary and just leave. Is that really worth it? Just add the option, how hard can it be? And think of the trouble it would save.

I'm not saying cancel the whole event, that would be stupid. I'm just saying let people opt out of it.

Since the effects are only temporary, and you are not forced to take part. There is no reason to include an opt-out option.

Celinyca
Lobbyist

Postby Celinyca » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:06 am

Mandated fun is not fun. You don't throw a party in someone's bedroom then act confused when they complain about the noise.

Add an opt-out, see how many nations use it.

Quilavaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Quilavaland » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:12 am

Celinyca wrote:Mandated fun is not fun. You don't throw a party in someone's bedroom then act confused when they complain about the noise.

Add an opt-out, see how many nations use it.

This is so true. When was the last time being forced into getting free trials and toolbars when downloading a game was fun? When was the last time being forced to play a sport you don't like at school was fun? Mandatory things, even when generally considered fun, often aren't enjoyable at all. Especially when destruction and/or competition is involved.

I joined this game under the impression it was the only nation simulator where you could mind your own business and not have to fight wars. Apparently I was wrong on both those things, I have to participate in an international fight with zombies.

Quilavaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Quilavaland » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:15 am

Ardoki wrote:
Quilavaland wrote:If it will be back to normal anyway then what do you have to lose by just adding an opt-out option and shutting up the yearly complainers. Besides, some people who don't check the news and forums, such as my Grandma, may not know it's temporary and just leave. Is that really worth it? Just add the option, how hard can it be? And think of the trouble it would save.

Since the effects are only temporary, and you are not forced to take part. There is no reason to include an opt-out option.

Not forced to take part? So statistics about your citizens dying showing up on your page is not forcing you to take part? Suuure...

Besides, like I said, there is potential harm in not including an opt-out as I mentioned before, people who don't look at the forums will just leave. And there is no harm in including an opt-out. If the people in charge of the website can program a zombie game surely they can program an opt-out button. I mean really.

Celinyca
Lobbyist

Postby Celinyca » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:16 am

Ardoki wrote:
Quilavaland wrote:Wait so there's dead, infected and alive statistics too? Why did nobody mention that? I am really unimpressed by how little information new users have been given. I can just see my Grandma doing her weekly check on her country to find death statistics and being absolutely baffled.

Why isn't there a massive red banner on each Nation's home page displaying this extremely useful piece of information, to prevent any negative consequences about the event?

How many players do you think will notice the "(1)" notification sitting next to the NEWS line of their nation's dashboard? Why does the email notification spend ages explaining all the aspects of the event except the part where things revert to normal after it is over? What's wrong with making this point clear?

I don't care if the opt out costed money. I would rather pay $5 as a donation to opt out than take part in the event.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:21 am

Quilavaland wrote:
Ardoki wrote:Since the effects are only temporary, and you are not forced to take part. There is no reason to include an opt-out option.

Not forced to take part? So statistics about your citizens dying showing up on your page is not forcing you to take part? Suuure...

Besides, like I said, there is potential harm in not including an opt-out as I mentioned before, people who don't look at the forums will just leave. And there is no harm in including an opt-out. If the people in charge of the website can program a zombie game surely they can program an opt-out button. I mean really.

Let's just think like this: they don't die per se, they turn into zombies, i.e. a species change.
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

Quilavaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Quilavaland » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:26 am

Gigaverse wrote:
Quilavaland wrote:

Let's just think like this: they don't die per se, they turn into zombies, i.e. a species change.

Last time I checked, the stat was going to say "DEATHS". Unless the stat is changed to "conversions" I am not changing my position. Even then I don't want to convert my Quilavas into another species. Maybe instead of zombies killing people they are just a public nuisance. That way there could still be the zombiepocalypse, but instead of counting deaths the stat counts number of zombies. And there can be a whole lot of hilarious issues like "Zombies on front lawn", "Zombies declare themselves the 99%", "Zombies raid brain donation centre", etc. It'd be way more creative and fit better with the funny tone of NationStates, not to mention pissing less people off.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:29 am

Quilavaland wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:Let's just think like this: they don't die per se, they turn into zombies, i.e. a species change.

Last time I checked, the stat was going to say "DEATHS". Unless the stat is changed to "conversions" I am not changing my position. Even then I don't want to convert my Quilavas into another species. Maybe instead of zombies killing people they are just a public nuisance. That way there could still be the zombiepocalypse, but instead of counting deaths the stat counts number of zombies. And there can be a whole lot of hilarious issues like "Zombies on front lawn", "Zombies declare themselves the 99%", "Zombies raid brain donation centre", etc. It'd be way more creative and fit better with the funny tone of NationStates, not to mention pissing less people off.

How many people until now have mentioned that your population will become human again after three days?
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:32 am

Gigaverse wrote:
Quilavaland wrote:Last time I checked, the stat was going to say "DEATHS". Unless the stat is changed to "conversions" I am not changing my position. Even then I don't want to convert my Quilavas into another species. Maybe instead of zombies killing people they are just a public nuisance. That way there could still be the zombiepocalypse, but instead of counting deaths the stat counts number of zombies. And there can be a whole lot of hilarious issues like "Zombies on front lawn", "Zombies declare themselves the 99%", "Zombies raid brain donation centre", etc. It'd be way more creative and fit better with the funny tone of NationStates, not to mention pissing less people off.

How many people until now have mentioned that your population will become human again after three days?

I think he/she is purposely being difficult, just to annoy us.

Quilavaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Quilavaland » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:33 am

Gigaverse wrote:
Quilavaland wrote:Last time I checked, the stat was going to say "DEATHS". Unless the stat is changed to "conversions" I am not changing my position. Even then I don't want to convert my Quilavas into another species. Maybe instead of zombies killing people they are just a public nuisance. That way there could still be the zombiepocalypse, but instead of counting deaths the stat counts number of zombies. And there can be a whole lot of hilarious issues like "Zombies on front lawn", "Zombies declare themselves the 99%", "Zombies raid brain donation centre", etc. It'd be way more creative and fit better with the funny tone of NationStates, not to mention pissing less people off.

A few people on this forum but that's the thing. The MAJORITY of users don't even SEE the forum. So they won't know that. They'll see their population dying off, and leave the site confused and annoyed.
And even I'm irritated, because I don't want to be part of your "fun" if it involves killing my citizens, even temporarily, and also my space-centred and fandom-centred nations should have nothing to do with a planet-wide zombie apocalypse.
Seriously how hard can it be to just put in an "opt-out" button. I mean come on.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Zombie Emergency Command Center