NATION

PASSWORD

Summit Progression - Changes To Be Implemented

For structured discussion and debate about the future of "raider/defender" gameplay.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Acitcratna
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Acitcratna » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:49 am

Sedgistan wrote:It was never an objective of the summit to prevent "tagging" of regions.

My apologies. I was merely making an observation, is all. I was not present at the summit.

Land filled with People
Envoy

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Land filled with People » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:23 pm

Any word from the mods/admins on when some of these ideas will be implemented?

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:26 pm

Land filled with People wrote:Any word from the mods/admins on when some of these ideas will be implemented?

As always, they'll get added when they get added, and not a moment sooner. We have no hard or soft targets for the timing on any of these.

Land filled with People
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Land filled with People » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:05 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Land filled with People wrote:Any word from the mods/admins on when some of these ideas will be implemented?
As always, they'll get added when they get added, and not a moment sooner. We have no hard or soft targets for the timing on any of these.

I suppose I should rephrase. At which stage (still requires player input, needs coding, needs testing etc.) are some of the changes at, and subsequently, is there anything we as players can do to expedite this process.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:07 am

Land filled with People wrote:I suppose I should rephrase. At which stage (still requires player input, needs coding, needs testing etc.) are some of the changes at, and subsequently, is there anything we as players can do to expedite this process.

a) This is not a corporate development environment, and these changes don't have a business plan. The vast majority of the work being done will be completed by [violet] when she has the combination of free time, interest, and a clear concept of what needs to be done. No one but [violet] can make that call, and we'd prefer that she actually do the work than respond to the seemingly endless stream of forum posts asking when it will be done. When testing is needed, [v] grabs any active mods and gets us to test.

b) Player input on the forums is always welcome, though occasionally counterproductive (typically when it turns into a gameplay bitchfest rather than a technical discussion). There is no other player input either possible or desired.

Land filled with People
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Land filled with People » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks for the answers, Fris.

Blackbird
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Blackbird » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:12 pm

I would be interested in seeing some sort of evaluation by the mods, particularly those familiar with gameplay, on how and whether or not they believe that the present array of changes have accomplished [violet]'s original stated goals.

Blackbird
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Blackbird » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:48 pm

Blackbird wrote:I would be interested in seeing some sort of evaluation by the mods, particularly those familiar with gameplay, on how and whether or not they believe that the present array of changes have accomplished [violet]'s original stated goals.

Bump.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:16 pm

Most are awaiting implementation. No, we're not going to do an evaluation before they're even added to the game.

Blackbird
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Blackbird » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:40 pm

Sedgistan wrote:Most are awaiting implementation. No, we're not going to do an evaluation before they're even added to the game.

So...it's been more than a year since the Summit, and there's no need for self-reflection to see how well this process has worked out?

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:23 pm

I'd prefer to focus on the changes going forward rather than navel-gazing over the fact the Summit didn't work quite as planned and took much longer than intended.

Blackbird
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Blackbird » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:42 pm

Sedgistan wrote:I'd prefer to focus on the changes going forward rather than navel-gazing over the fact the Summit didn't work quite as planned and took much longer than intended.

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, or use this thread to grandstand, but given that the aim of [violet]'s framework was to revitalize gameplay, and I think the changes thus enacted utterly fail to do that, I think we need to begin exploring new ways to meet [violet]'s goals. Or just admit that that goal was never realistic or realistically sought.

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:40 pm

Blackbird wrote:
Sedgistan wrote:I'd prefer to focus on the changes going forward rather than navel-gazing over the fact the Summit didn't work quite as planned and took much longer than intended.

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, or use this thread to grandstand, but given that the aim of [violet]'s framework was to revitalize gameplay, and I think the changes thus enacted utterly fail to do that, I think we need to begin exploring new ways to meet [violet]'s goals. Or just admit that that goal was never realistic or realistically sought.

1 of 7 changes has been enacted, is it not a bit premature to say that?

Blackbird
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Blackbird » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:47 pm

Leutria wrote:
Blackbird wrote:

1 of 7 changes has been enacted, is it not a bit premature to say that?

Does that mean we'll get the next six in six years?

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:52 pm

I assume sooner, but you cannot really say if a change is effective or not before it's implemented eh?

Blackbird
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Blackbird » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:48 am

Leutria wrote:I assume sooner, but you cannot really say if a change is effective or not before it's implemented eh?

I should narrow my question: I'm not asking if the "change" was effective, but if the summit was. The summit seem to have been quite a failure in terms of bringing about the changes that [violet]'s framework suggested.

All Good People
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 04, 2004
Libertarian Police State

Postby All Good People » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:49 pm

Blackbird wrote:I'm not asking if the "change" was effective, but if the summit was.

I think Sedge attempted to answer that:

Sedgistan wrote:... the fact the Summit didn't work quite as planned and took much longer than intended.

IMO, the original Summit was poorly planned and poorly executed. I thought it was quite obvious it was destined to fail at the outset with poor timing and extremely limited participation. But having some solid plans for implementation on behalf of NS Admin as a result since then is undoubtedly a positive result nonetheless. I would like to see more progress, and expected more progress by now. I know, it's a matter of who has the time and inclination to do the work....I fully appreciate that. And there is merit in phasing them in to change the dynamic of Gameplay a bit at atime.

(But I gotta add....other new features being added to NS while these listed features make no progress is a curiosity)
Westwind of All Good People
Three Time World Assembly Delegate of The West Pacific
Former UN/WA Delegate Lewis and Clark of The North Pacific
Co-Founder and Emeritus Rex Westwind of Equilism

The West Pacific Forum: http://twp.nosync.org
Equilism Forum: http://www.equilism.org.forum

Blackbird
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Blackbird » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:29 am

All Good People wrote:
Blackbird wrote:I'm not asking if the "change" was effective, but if the summit was.

I think Sedge attempted to answer that:

Sedgistan wrote:... the fact the Summit didn't work quite as planned and took much longer than intended.

IMO, the original Summit was poorly planned and poorly executed. I thought it was quite obvious it was destined to fail at the outset with poor timing and extremely limited participation. But having some solid plans for implementation on behalf of NS Admin as a result since then is undoubtedly a positive result nonetheless. I would like to see more progress, and expected more progress by now. I know, it's a matter of who has the time and inclination to do the work....I fully appreciate that. And there is merit in phasing them in to change the dynamic of Gameplay a bit at atime.

(But I gotta add....other new features being added to NS while these listed features make no progress is a curiosity)

Well, I suppose there's not much to say. I remain disappointed. I'd like to see changes that could reinvigorate gameplay, but I don't believe there have been any in the past year; I don't believe any are in the pipeline; and I don't have faith that we'll have a process to get anymore.

Not much more to say than that.

Improving Wordiness
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Improving Wordiness » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:33 am

I do not understand why the only thing implemented out of the huge amount of discussions / suggestions / opinions....the only thing that has been implemented with the least amount of discussion was influence in the feeders...
REALLY? How did that address R/D?
Klaus Devestatorie wrote:I'm a massive tool. ;)

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:34 am

The feeders/sinkers are involved in R/D - but yes, that change wasn't directly aimed at the various issues that raiding/defending have. It's really up to the admins as to when various changes are implemented - I'd guess this came first as it was a relatively simple one to code, and didn't have so many details that needed finalising. Other projects, such as regional officers, are much more complex both in terms of coding and the details of how they work.

The Land of Heat and Clock Work
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 13, 2013
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The Land of Heat and Clock Work » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:20 am

I would like a system that allows nations to trade with one another. I'm just putting that out there...

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:23 am

Not the thread or forum for that kind of suggestion.

Nephmir
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:46 pm

Sedgistan wrote:The feeders/sinkers are involved in R/D - but yes, that change wasn't directly aimed at the various issues that raiding/defending have. It's really up to the admins as to when various changes are implemented - I'd guess this came first as it was a relatively simple one to code, and didn't have so many details that needed finalising. Other projects, such as regional officers, are much more complex both in terms of coding and the details of how they work.

Still...it has not affected anything thus far. Do you know which update will come next? I'm assuming they won't be in order?
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_
The 300 Endorsements of Nephmir
"100 by land, 100 by air, 100 by sea."
Mercenary of The Sable Order
Commander in Project Soul

All Good People
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 04, 2004
Libertarian Police State

Postby All Good People » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:00 pm

Nephmir wrote:Still...it has not affected anything thus far.

I think you underestimate it's effect. The result has simply not been made use of in any obvious manner by players.
Westwind of All Good People
Three Time World Assembly Delegate of The West Pacific
Former UN/WA Delegate Lewis and Clark of The North Pacific
Co-Founder and Emeritus Rex Westwind of Equilism

The West Pacific Forum: http://twp.nosync.org
Equilism Forum: http://www.equilism.org.forum

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:37 pm

All Good People wrote:
Nephmir wrote:Still...it has not affected anything thus far.

I think you underestimate it's effect. The result has simply not been made use of in any obvious manner by players.

I'd disagree, the formation of the OFO was conceivably only accomplished because of the influence changes.

The implementation presumably won't occur quickly due to the complexity of the changes and the fact that they haven't been fully discussed yet.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay "R/D" Summit