NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations [OOC | Always Open]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tesserach
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 25, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tesserach » Wed May 08, 2024 6:41 am

One thing I might say is although neolithic bows often were typically low draw, 50-60lb warbows do exist and good broadhead arrows were no joke, especially if the engagement starts near point blank.

I think I'm going to maybe pull that whole section and reposte it.

I can do it better.
Last edited by Tesserach on Wed May 08, 2024 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pndapetzim

Melon Heads
Envoy

Founded: Jun 27, 2022
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Melon Heads » Wed May 08, 2024 8:11 am

Tesserach wrote:In my experience, most people would be very surprised at how little it can take to grievously injure, or kill, a person while also being surprised what sorts of absolutely seemingly instantly fatal injuries people can sustain and not only survive but be shockingly active.

Fortunately I have never been shot by an arrow, though maybe that would give me more credence here.

Admittedly most of my knowledge on wounds like this comes from EMT and Mortuary school but I'll second the idea that humans can both die very easily and survive crazy shit. Some interesting things of note:

- If you get shot/impaled/stabbed by an item, it is generally advised not to pull it out unless the item makes it impossible for the person to be transported to a location better for medical care. Stabilizing the item so it doesn't jostle around in there is also a good idea. (I've heard EMT anecdotes of a student who pulled a knife out of someone, was admonished, panicked and stuck it back in. Especially do not do this)

-Even if the impaling item does not cause death immediately through shock or blood loss, you still have to worry about infection, sepsis, etc. Who knows where these arrows have been, and we don't have antibiotics yet. I'm pretty sure more people died of disease and infection in the civil war than did die in battle.

- Saxony showed me this and yall may think it interesting: the King Henry V of England got shot in the face with an arrow in a battle in 1403, and the surgeon John Bradmore invented a cool extraction tool to get it out of there. Very badass of both the surgeon for pulling that off, and the then teenaged Henry V for withstanding it.

- This is anecdotal but one example I know of a person surviving something incredibly deadly; a classmate of mine was doing a clinical shift in the ER of our town and they had a woman come in who had been hit by a train. Not only was she alive, she was awake. Admittedly I don't know what happened to her afterwards or even her name (couldn't share it anyways due to Hippa) but it struck with me.

- On the inverse, there's a phenomenon called Commotio Cordis which is a very rare and unlucky occurrence where, if you get hit in the chest at a certain part of the heartbeat, your heart rhythm gets thrown out of wack and leads to death in almost all cases if not treated immediately. This usually happens (in the US at least) to young men playing sports with projectiles such as baseball. Like said, it's quote rare, less than 20 cases in the US per year, but it's an interesting 'glitch' in the human body, in my opinion. Still better than being a horse though.
They/He Pronouns
Code: Select all
You said I could have anything I wanted, but I just couldn’t say it out loud.
Actually, you said Love, for you, is larger than the usual romantic love. It’s like a religion. It’s  terrifying. No one will ever want to sleep with you.
Okay, if you’re so great, you do it— here’s the pencil, make it work . . .
Build me a city and call it Jerusalem. Build me another and call it Jerusalem.
We have come back from Jerusalem where we found not what we sought, so do it over, give me another version.
The entire history of human desire takes about seventy minutes to tell.
Unfortunately, we don’t have that kind of time.
-Richard Siken

Melon Heads
Envoy

Postby Melon Heads » Wed May 08, 2024 9:33 am

Enjoyed reading your most recent post, Gtech, even if the geographic location of all this eluded me. Korva, Laliwen and the 'Green Ward' are unknown to me. Poland, perhaps?

I found myself cheering for Petyor's success, though that may be unwise for me to wish another competent military commander to join the ranks of the Imperium’s forces, lol.

Semi related, today I learned what a 'River Chain' is. How'd they get all the iron needed to make a chain that strong and wide enough to go across a river? Helluva way to prevent trespassers going down rivers you don't want them to.
They/He Pronouns
Actually, you said Love, for you, is larger than the usual romantic love. It’s like a religion. It’s  terrifying. No one will ever want to sleep with you.
We have come back from Jerusalem where we found not what we sought, so do it over, give me another version.
-Richard Siken

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed May 08, 2024 9:54 am

Melon Heads wrote:Enjoyed reading your most recent post, Gtech, even if the geographic location of all this eluded me. Korva, Laliwen and the 'Green Ward' are unknown to me. Poland, perhaps?

I found myself cheering for Petyor's success, though that may be unwise for me to wish another competent military commander to join the ranks of the Imperium’s forces, lol.

Semi related, today I learned what a 'River Chain' is. How'd they get all the iron needed to make a chain that strong and wide enough to go across a river? Helluva way to prevent trespassers going down rivers you don't want them to.

Kosovo, actually! Unfortunately 98% of the place names are 1400s or later, so I just have to extrapolate wildly.

They’re expensive, as you might imagine, but also usually not actually that thick or strong since the forces involved in floating vessels aren’t that immense. Making a boat go very quickly is pretty difficult, so really most of the time the chain only has to stand up to some inertia and the current.

Definitely useful that they planned to build a river toll outpost though, otherwise there’s absolutely no way anyone would have carried that chain all the way south from the Danube.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Melon Heads
Envoy

Postby Melon Heads » Wed May 08, 2024 10:09 am

Tesserach wrote:One thing I might say is although neolithic bows often were typically low draw, 50-60lb warbows do exist and good broadhead arrows were no joke, especially if the engagement starts near point blank.

I think I'm going to maybe pull that whole section and reposte it.

I can do it better.

Had to get some stuff done at work before I could read your post, or at least what was present at the time if you have removed some of it. Still, I was excited to see what was up in Mehrgarh. What is that 'Mehrgarhi Nights' song based off of? Seems familiar but I can't be sure.

I got into Dune fairly recently and the Bene Gesserit phrase 'Plans within Plans' seems to resonate here with the work that Aradin and the Saasan Anthaathi are up to. Maybe not a place you took inspiration from but a thing I wanted to note.

The idea of 'If we are treat travelers as honored guests' is interesting to me, in that it is intended to decease the chances of these people turning against Mehrgarh in the future due to having been treated kindly. I hope this works, but in their stead I would fear that such displays would make one appear soft and 'ripe for picking' for lack of better word. Here's to hoping that news of Merhgarhs fierce warriors is still known and spread around.

I hope Lashanya has found peace in her works now, despite her previous pain and losses.

One more thing: "Formal Assessment of Human Behavior." I don't suppose they use the S.P.E.C.I.A.L metric do they?
They/He Pronouns
-Richard Siken

Tesserach
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Tesserach » Thu May 09, 2024 4:13 am

Melon Heads wrote:What is that 'Mehrgarhi Nights' song based off of? Seems familiar but I can't be sure.

Arabian Nights from Aladdin is the song

Melon Heads wrote:I got into Dune fairly recently and the Bene Gesserit phrase 'Plans within Plans' seems to resonate here with the work that Aradin and the Saasan Anthaathi are up to. Maybe not a place you took inspiration from but a thing I wanted to note.

Are you suggesting I would use a quasi-religious organization to enact long-term and far reaching plans?

Because all I have to say about that is...

The pepper must flow.

Melon Heads wrote:But in their stead I would fear that such displays would make one appear soft and 'ripe for picking' for lack of better word.

They can. And they will. More on that later though.

Melon Heads wrote:One more thing: "Formal Assessment of Human Behavior." I don't suppose they use the S.P.E.C.I.A.L metric do they?

Lashanya indicates awareness of what's called the OCEAN model, and implies we've at least shoehorned some ad-hoc methods for empirically evaluating it in people. Simply put its rates people on personality for Oppeness, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness and Neuroticism.
Pndapetzim

Saxony-Brandenburg
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Saxony-Brandenburg » Thu May 09, 2024 10:53 am

Melon Heads wrote:I got into Dune fairly recently

Whoops
"When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?"

Tesserach
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Tesserach » Fri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm

Reposted the bit.
Pndapetzim

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2019

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Sat May 11, 2024 1:36 am

I had apped in the past but hadn't posted for a while. Can I rejoin? If yes, do I need to make a new app or do I go on from where I had left off?
Signature:

"I’ve just bitten a snake. Never mind me, I’ve got business to look after."
- Guo Jing ‘The Brave Archer’.

“In war, to keep the upper hand, you have to think two or three moves ahead of the enemy.”
- Char Aznable

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
- Sun Tzu

Orostan
Negotiator

Founded: May 02, 2016

Postby Orostan » Sat May 11, 2024 2:48 am

Sao Nova Europa wrote:I had apped in the past but hadn't posted for a while. Can I rejoin? If yes, do I need to make a new app or do I go on from where I had left off?

If you want you can do either. There's been one or two time skips I think since you have posted however.
“It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper.” -J. V. STALIN
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Anyone who loves freedom owes such a debt to the Red Army that it can never be repaid.

Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:“To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”

Cicero wrote:"In times of war, the laws fall silent"

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat May 11, 2024 3:23 am

Sao Nova Europa wrote:I had apped in the past but hadn't posted for a while. Can I rejoin? If yes, do I need to make a new app or do I go on from where I had left off?

Hmm. Well, your character didn’t really get much development before your last post, so I would be inclined to just re-land your Author in the present date IC. You can re-app if you want, but that isn’t strictly necessary.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Zene Zarmone
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 27, 2024
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zene Zarmone » Sat May 11, 2024 9:02 am

Hi! I'm intrigued how this works, it looks like it could be interesting. Do you need anything specific from me or just copy the app from op?

For reference I'm a once and future NS player, but I dipped out of the game several years ago and only recently came back with a new nation, so there's not a huge amount of my writing available :eyebrow:

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat May 11, 2024 9:31 am

Zene Zarmone wrote:Hi! I'm intrigued how this works, it looks like it could be interesting. Do you need anything specific from me or just copy the app from op?

For reference I'm a once and future NS player, but I dipped out of the game several years ago and only recently came back with a new nation, so there's not a huge amount of my writing available :eyebrow:

No trouble - you can just put us together an example of your work whole-cloth instead of via links. The app is all we need!

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Sat May 11, 2024 9:31 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:

Hmm. Well, your character didn’t really get much development before your last post, so I would be inclined to just re-land your Author in the present date IC. You can re-app if you want, but that isn’t strictly necessary.

So basically I have a sort of fresh start? Works for me.

Will be keeping same app. Should I be making a post in the IC? Or do I need to be reaccepted?
Signature:

“In war, to keep the upper hand, you have to think two or three moves ahead of the enemy.”
- Char Aznable

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
- Sun Tzu

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat May 11, 2024 9:42 am

Sao Nova Europa wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:

So basically I have a sort of fresh start? Works for me.

Will be keeping same app. Should I be making a post in the IC? Or do I need to be reaccepted?

Ping her back up, so everyone can re-familiarize themselves with your Author. But then you should be good to go, yep.

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Sat May 11, 2024 9:51 am

OK, here is the app.

BTW, is it OK if I assume my (only) post happened now (time-wise) IC, so I can continue from there on instead of reposting an introduction? :)
Last edited by Sao Nova Europa on Sat May 11, 2024 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat May 11, 2024 9:58 am

Sao Nova Europa wrote:OK, here is the app.

BTW, is it OK if I assume my (only) post happened now (time-wise) IC, so I can continue from there on instead of reposting an introduction? :)

Sure, that’s fine by me.

Zene Zarmone
Political Columnist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zene Zarmone » Sat May 11, 2024 2:31 pm

Author Application
Name: Hannah Williams
Height and Weight: 5’ 7”, 170lbs
Physical Description: fair skin, long dark hair, hazel eyes
( Optional ) Picture:

Prior Profession: telephone operator for a bank
Level of Education - Formal or Informal: BSc Archaeology
Physique: average build, slightly below average cardiovascular fitness
Useful Skills: little knowledge of a number of skeletal diseases, first aid trained

National Origin: British
What were you doing prior to falling asleep and awakening in the past?: just got home from work
Description of Personality: quite introverted at first, but fiercely loyal once you’re friends. Likes to think she knows best, even when she’s wrong.
Where in the world are you landing?: southern Iceland

Autobiography/Biography: the early parts of Hannah’s life are little to write home about. Born into a small family she grew up in an old market town in northern England. Her first decade was mostly uneventful, until on her 10th birthday some utter lunatic decided to deliberately crash several planes in the heart of Manhattan. Thankfully nobody Hannah knew got caught up in 9/11, but the world would never be the same. Hannah became obsessed with all things macabre, from Lockerbie to Columbine. She swore to learn everything she could about such events, so she could do everything in her power to stop them happening again.

The years passed, and Hannah gained other interests. Among them she gained a passion for history and archaeology, and when the time came to choose a university course the decision seemed obvious. Even with lower A-Level results than she’d hoped, her first choice, the University of Bradford, accepted her without question. The course was everything she’d hoped, but a year on placement in the middle made her rethink the idea as a career move. She graduated with a 2:2 and began hopping from unemployment to stop-gap jobs. After a brief stint in a stationary shop and a few years waiting tables, she found herself taking phone calls for a major bank. A year in, the job is going well, until one night after work she falls asleep in the bath…

Writing Sample:
Hannah woke with a start. It took a moment for her to acclimatise to her surroundings. That dream had been so vivid, it was like she was there. Clutching at her bedsheets she breathed quickly, her room swimming back into her vision. The dream was already fading, much like the darkness outside. She checked her alarm clock. 5:30. She’d have to be up soon anyway if she was going to make it to work on time. She groaned, rolled over and pushed herself into a sitting position. These early starts were really doing a number on her. Maybe her mum was right. Maybe it was time to start looking for a new job.

What are your intentions for this RP; what do you think your Author will seek to accomplish?: Hannah’s main aim is to make the world a more peaceful place. This will be difficult, but any influence she can exert will be towards peace.
What people or places are you taking inspiration from?: I follow a page on Facebook run by an Icelander, that helps with modern ideas. And of course Iceland is the home of the world’s oldest parliament, that has to factor in somewhere.
Why did you chose to land where you did?: Hannah’s biography is basically mine but with minor changes. My archaeology degree focused heavily on prehistoric cultures in central Europe and the Anglo-Celtic Isles, so I figured it would be fun to influence a culture similar to ones I know about, but still different enough to throw Hannah for six. Also being close enough for possible interaction with existing Authors’ cultures, but isolated enough to not be getting into wars every other summer.
What vibe should we get from your civilization and its culture, if you seek to establish one?: Think peaceful Vikings. All the expansion, none of the raids.
What are your character's motivations?: At first, just trying to survive in prehistory. Then trying to shape the world into a better place.
Theme Song?: You Need To Calm Down
What do you wanna see in this RP? What would make it better?: idek I’ll work that out as I go

Tesserach
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Tesserach » Sat May 11, 2024 2:49 pm

What's the population status of southern Iceland circa 3000BCE?
Pndapetzim

Zene Zarmone
Political Columnist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zene Zarmone » Sat May 11, 2024 3:04 pm

Tesserach wrote:What's the population status of southern Iceland circa 3000BCE?

Considerably more than New Zealand, which was my other choice

Theyra
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Theyra » Sat May 11, 2024 6:13 pm

Just checking in and saying I am still here but got kinda preoccupied and still thinking of where to go.

Saxony-Brandenburg
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Saxony-Brandenburg » Sat May 11, 2024 7:50 pm

Theyra wrote:Just checking in and saying I am still here but got kinda preoccupied and still thinking of where to go.

Well still be here when ya get the inspiration
promise
"When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?"

Theyra
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Theyra » Sat May 11, 2024 8:37 pm

Saxony-Brandenburg wrote:
Theyra wrote:Just checking in and saying I am still here but got kinda preoccupied and still thinking of where to go.

Well still be here when ya get the inspiration
promise

Well, based on what was given to me location wise by people in here, it is either Algeria or Bengal unless I think of a place I really want besides those two.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat May 11, 2024 11:11 pm

Tesserach wrote:What's the population status of southern Iceland circa 3000BCE?

Heh, probably no permanent populace at present. I know the Hibernians had a few seasonal fishermen, and Imperial expeditions have wandered past, but I don’t recall any serious settlements having been placed there yet.

Orostan
Negotiator

Founded: May 02, 2016

Postby Orostan » Sun May 12, 2024 12:32 am

Theyra wrote:
Saxony-Brandenburg wrote:Well still be here when ya get the inspiration
promise

Well, based on what was given to me location wise by people in here, it is either Algeria or Bengal unless I think of a place I really want besides those two.

Central Asia or Iran are good as well. I would actually recommend Iran because as far as I understand it Mesopotamia is not doing so well right now and could be conquered. Then Egypt with its rich farm land is right next door as is Anatolia with its already organized civilization.
“It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper.” -J. V. STALIN
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Anyone who loves freedom owes such a debt to the Red Army that it can never be repaid.

Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:“To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”

Cicero wrote:"In times of war, the laws fall silent"

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse