NATION

PASSWORD

PILGRIMAGE (OOC/Signups) [Closed]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

PILGRIMAGE (OOC/Signups) [Closed]

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:54 pm

• While all aspects of this RP will remain consistent with forum rules, this is also a story of human suffering and survival under awful conditions. Unless we are free to deal seriously with disturbing material, then there is no point in telling such a story. So if graphic content is traumatizing to you by reason of age or past experiences, then I advise you to follow or participate in this RP only with due caution. Thank you.
  • This RP is experimental. It requires players to work with each other at a much deeper level than is generally the case, because it is the story of a family: and a family is more than just a group of disparate characters. At a profound level, we are entering together on a single shared storytelling project. If you are not prepared to explore that project as one member of a larger group and one character within a larger family, then this is not the RP for you.
  • Credit for the inspiration of the design of this OP goes to the brilliant and talented Evraim. Thanks, Ev!

IC

PILGRIMAGE
ARISE AND GO

Plague

AND I SAW another sign in heaven, great and marvelous, seven angels having the seven last plagues; for in them is filled up the wrath of God.
Revelation 15:1

DOCTOR DEIRDRE COOPER
They could kill me just for talking to you about this. You understand that, right? If you break Quarantine, and they find out that you talked to me at any time in the last fucking decade, they’ll take me out and shoot me behind the post office. You realize that.

Okay. The Plague. Jesus Christ. Okay.

So – it’s more than a year ago now, back in 2017. And we start getting our first – reports. It came out of central Africa, like every other epidemic since 1960. Spread like wildfire. Always the same pattern. A weeping sore, red and livid, opens up, usually on your face. It happens suddenly, in a matter of hours. You develop a high fever. You start hallucinating. You have fits. Then you hemorrhage massively, and die. Ten days from first symptoms to death. No exceptions.

But of course, you know that already.

We didn’t know how bad it was until it left the DRC. Democratic Republic of the Congo. You know: jungles, no roads, no health infrastructure. People die of epidemics there all the time. Or they did, anyway. Now I suppose there’s no one left to die. So at the time, we didn’t think much of it.

But then it started jumping around. Cameroon. Then Nigeria. By then we were starting to realize that something was really, really wrong. Cameroon had better roads, and CNN was bringing us news footage of cars, trucks, mopeds lined up bumper to bumper for miles and miles. All stopped. All silent. And blood from the hemorrhaging bodies inside them was covering the asphalt an inch deep for as far as the eye could see, steaming in the African sun.

And then the Plague hit Lagos, and all hell broke loose.

The Red Cross, Médecins Sans Frontières, the WHO – they did their best. They’d seen the footage from Cameroon by then. They knew what was going on. But they still thought this was a viral hemorrhagic fever like ebola. They set up emergency wings, pumped people full of fluids, appealed to the international community for antivirals.

It didn’t work. A week after the Plague hit Lagos, infection rates were at ninety percent. Mortality rates were at a hundred percent. The Red Cross shut down its hospital because all but two of their doctors were dead. Infected stormed the presidential palace in Abuja. The army fled its posts. People gathered in churches and mosques to pray. The churches and mosques turned into lakes of blood.

Ten million dead in two weeks. Worse than the Holocaust. Worse than the Black Death. Worse than any epidemic in history in a comparable timeframe.

That was when we first started hearing the phrase “extinction-level event.”

After Lagos, news coverage got fuzzy for a while. The government censored the media. There were legal challenges, but they got bogged down in the federal appeals courts. All we saw was snippets. Cairo was on fire. The army was called out in Mumbai to machine-gun infected. It mutinied, and overthrew the government. The army was called out in Sao Paolo to do the same thing. It didn’t mutiny. The lights on the Eiffel Tower went dark. The Chinese declared a nationwide quarantine. A Russian nuke went off in Kiev.

Always, everywhere: bodies. Mountains of bodies. Millions of bodies. There was not enough space to bury them all. The living burned the dead.

We didn’t know the exact death toll. We could guess.

As far as I know, no one is sure how the Plague came to the US. Hell, no one is sure exactly how it’s transmitted, or how long it can lie dormant, or what its other hosts are. No one is even sure what it is. It doesn’t respond to antibiotics. It doesn’t respond to antivirals. The Pope called it the curse of God, in the last broadcast before Rome went dark. That seems about as sound an explanation as any.

But however it came, it came.

March 12, 2017. We got cases all over the southwest, from LA to Galveston, dozens within days. It was the Plague. Sores, madness, death. Inevitable as the changing seasons.

March 28. FEMA had a plan. The plan involved a nationwide state of emergency, and suspension of civil liberties. All the TV stations went dead. The Internet went down. Radio died last.

April 10. The National Guard was deployed to Bloomdale. They closed down the roads and started rationing food. We couldn’t leave town limits; the soldiers set up the Cordon around town, a system of searchlights and machine-gun posts. We didn’t know what was going on. We had no cases of the Plague. Why were there troops here?

April 12. We heard jet engines overhead, and lots of them. Pat Graves said they were bombers. Then we heard explosions. They sounded like they were coming from downtown Dayton. They continued all after noon. At dusk, the northern sky was red with flame.

April 15. Carly Paxton – you remember Carly? She went to school with your kids – hacked into the Army’s wi-fi network and stole a FEMA report. It said that two-thirds of America was already dead. Carly stole a ham radio and broadcast what she had learned. A lot of people heard it. Her parents were hysterical. They looked everywhere for her.

April 16. Easter, 2017. The National Guard put a noose around Carly Paxton’s neck and strung her up from the flagpole right here in Bloomdale, Ohio. She kicked her legs a lot. She was a long time dying. Her mother rushed a soldier and he shot her in the belly. She was a long time dying too.

I think, for me, that was the day that Quarantine began.

Quarantine

AND THEY WORSHIPPED the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him? And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.
Revelation 13:1 – 8

CAPTAIN PATRICK GRAVES
We have only ever done what we had to do. We aren’t some jackbooted horde. We are the National Guard. We are your friends, your neighbors. Citizen-soldiers. I’ve lived in Bloomdale my whole life. This is my community, and I have only ever done what was necessary to protect it.

We were the only ones who knew how bad it was, at first, back at the start of April. The governor of Ohio activated us on the fifteenth, and we deployed on the twentieth. They briefed me that there had been a few cases in Cleveland. Then, two days later, they briefed me again. They said that the situation was bad. They wouldn’t say just what that meant, but they told me to be ready to operate autonomously.

Right after that, we were told that we were moving to a decentralized system of quarantine. All National Guard officers were ordered to seal their communities: nobody in, nobody out. That way, even if all levels of government collapsed, the Plague could be stopped at the most local level. If nobody enters or leaves a town, the Plague has no – what did they call it? – no vectors of transmission.

Those were the last orders we ever got. We kept telling people – I’m sorry. We kept telling
you that there was nothing on the TV or the radio because of a DHS blackout. Truth is, there’s just nothing on the TV or the radio anymore. No broadcasts. Silence.

That’s part of the quarantine protocol, of course. Total radio silence. So there could be lots of other towns out there just like Bloomdale, following the protocol.

Or we could be all that’s left. All that’s left in the world, maybe. I don’t know. All I know is that there’s no word coming in from Columbus anymore, or from Washington. There hasn’t been for more than a year. I have no idea what the world looks like beyond the Bloomdale Cordon.

But it was the knowing that was hardest, I think, much more than the not-knowing. We wanted to pretend that everything was fine. We wanted to convince you that the world could go on like normal. That was why we killed Carly: she was telling people that things couldn’t be normal anymore. We had to kill her. If people listened, if people knew what we knew, everything would fall apart.

We did okay, at first, making things go on like normal. Didn’t we? Sure, there was nothing on the TV, nothing on the radio. But let’s face it: a small town on the outer edge of the Dayton suburbs was never a hub of world affairs anyway. The
Bloomdale Gazette kept printing local news. The kids went to school. We rationed food, but there weren’t any shortages, not at first – and the farms inside the Cordon kept a bit of fresh produce on your tables. Local police still walked their beats, and you didn’t see my guys unless you headed out toward the Cordon. And yeah, sure, the Jacksons tried to break Quarantine, so we shot them – but whose fault was that? They knew the rules.

It was okay, at first. Kids still had birthday parties at the Putt-Putt. The Methodist Church celebrated four weddings. We had no mass graves in Bloomdale, no crowds hemorrhaging to death in the streets. We had potlucks and high school talent shows instead.

We did our best, is what I’m trying to say. It was doomed; I know that now. But we did our best.

It was November when it all started coming apart. We hadn’t been rationing strictly enough. We figured – I don’t know. Maybe that someone would come on the radio, sooner or later, and tell us that Quarantine was over, and that FEMA would show up with trucks of food and fuel. But the radio just stayed silent. And because of Quarantine, we couldn’t go outside the Cordon to look for food. All we had was the produce from five farms, and what had been in the supermarkets in April.

By Thanksgiving, we were almost out of everything. We had to tighten rationing hard, on everybody, all at once. That was when the Jacksons tried to run, when we had to kill them. Had to. I didn’t know she was pregnant, though; you have to believe me about that.

So we put everyone on cornbread and water. Twelve hundred calories a day. And then winter came, and those blizzards, and there wasn’t enough heating oil, either. People burned their furniture for heat, and then started trying to break Quarantine to find firewood. We did what we had to do. People started to hoard what canned goods remained. We raided houses. I don’t feel bad about Seth Lewis. He shouldn’t have hoarded those green beans. And yes, stringing his body up in front of the high school was my idea. The kids needed to be reminded that Quarantine is the only thing keeping this town alive. Nobody knows what’s out there beyond the Cordon. We could be all that’s left. There’s no room for selfishness, no room for taking chances or challenging authority.

That was – what is it now? – almost six months ago. Easter is this Friday: the first anniversary of Carly’s death.

I know that there’s talk of the writing being on the wall. Whispers, where people think I can’t hear it. Talk that food will run out, that it’s inevitable, that we can’t ration forever and that five farms can’t support twelve thousand people. And yes, I know that Doc Cooper’s stock of antibiotics ran out a long time ago, and that we have been rationing electricity to one day per house per week since February. But I will not tolerate defeatism. We’ll make everybody grow a garden to meet the food deficit. We’ll live without penicillin, and without electricity, and those who complain can swing from the flagpole, because I will do whatever I have to do in order to keep this town alive.

And come what may, we will not. Break. Quarantine. Bloomdale is the whole world now. No matter what’s out there beyond the Cordon, whether the lights are on in New York or we’re the last people on the planet – none of that matters. This is our universe. And you – all of you – would do well to remember it.

Pilgrimage

AND I HEARD another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
Revelation 18:4

THE ARCHANGEL GABRIEL
You have been chosen.

No, I can’t tell you for what. No, I can’t tell you what is going to happen. The Big Guy is picky like that. But you have been chosen. You, the Miller family, are of Purpose. With a capital “P.”

You thought you were going crazy at first. I know. It’s okay. A month ago, I began reaching out to each of you individually. I spoke to you when you were at work, when you were in the kitchen, when you were exercising, when you said your prayers before bed. Some of you tried to kill me: you saw a middle-aged Arab in a grey robe inside your home, and you went for the nearest lampstand. Some of you tried to ignore me. Some of you asked questions. You didn’t get many answers, did you?

So most of you thought that you were going nuts. Some of you weren’t even surprised. Who wouldn’t go nuts: locked in a prison camp, subsisting on a thousand calories a day, not knowing if you were the last humans on Earth?

But then, last week, I appeared to all of you – while you were eating Sunday dinner together. And when each of you looked at the others, to see if they could see the strange foreigner as well, you all realized it: you could all see me. And, more importantly, you had all seen me before.

I explained that night, over your pitiful bits of cornbread eaten by candlelight in that tidy suburban dining room, that I was a messenger of the Most High, and that you had been chosen for a special purpose. Some of you believed me. Some didn’t. Some still don’t. But when I told you that it was time to leave Bloomdale, none of you disagreed. You don’t need an angelic visitation to know some basic truths.

Why did I choose you? I didn’t choose you.

Why did He choose you? He doesn’t explain Himself to me. Believe me, I’m as curious as anyone. A mostly white suburban middle-class family, no more pious than most – good grief, not a one of you has even served in the military, or in law enforcement. You are boring, people! Not exactly saints-and-prophets material, and I should know. But then again, neither was the teenage girl from Nazareth.

I told Tolstoy about happy and unhappy families, you know. He plagiarized it for
Anna Karenina – never even cited me! Truth is, I’m not quite sure which type you lot are. No happier than most families, that’s for sure. You have your issues, and plenty of them. But you have some potential in you yet, too.

I told you, that night at the dinner table, that you would have to leave Bloomdale in order to serve the purpose appointed for you from the beginning of all Time. I told you that the road ahead would be full of pain and hardship, confusion and loss. I told you that you would not understand why you had been chosen, or what your purpose even was. I offered no reassurance. I provided no explanation. I told you to prepare: pack a bag, make sure your hiking boots are broken in. You have a lot of walking ahead of you.

I told you that at midnight, when Saturday ends and Sunday begins, you will begin. Long before the crack of dawn on Easter morning, you will arise and go: shoulder your hiking packs, and set out for the Cordon outside of town.

I did not tell you how to slip by the soldiers. Still, you do not know how to escape Quarantine. But the One who gave you this task is with you, and with Him, all things are possible.

Or maybe you’re all just crazy. That’s possible too. You think the Archangel Gabriel is talking to you, after all.

It is almost time. I hope you packed well, for the road ahead is long and arduous. There are blizzards ahead, and sandstorms; wild beasts and wilder men; mysteries to test the mind and horrors to try the soul. A blistered foot can kill as surely as a bullet, a waterborne infection as certainly as a bomb, a shattered soul as utterly as a shattered leg. It is a long journey that you are on, and simply to survive it is your greatest task.

Do you hear that? The church bell strikes. This is the first minute of Easter Morning.

Enough of Bloomdale. Enough of Quarantine. Come out of her, O my Millers. Arise: arise and go.
Last edited by Reverend Norv on Fri May 20, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:55 pm

THE RULES, AND GENERAL OBSERVATIONS

The OOC

• If you are involved in this RP, then this is an open OOC. Feel free to discuss anything and everything, whether it has to do with the story or not.

• This RP has religious themes. It is not a tool of proselytization, and neither I nor anyone else involved will attempt to use it as such. It is quite likely that the content of this story will provoke some religious conversation in the OOC. This is appropriate, so long as this remains a polite conversation – not a debate, much less an argument.

• I understand that people have scheduling issues. I have them myself. This will move slowly sometimes, and rapidly at other times. The key is that if you drop off the map for a few days, post to the OOC first. And try to keep the OOC lively even if the IC is moving slowly; that way, we will all remain invested and ready to jump back into the action when peoples’ schedules free up.

The Roleplay

• So at least one of you is still wondering what the hell this is. The answer: this is a post-apocalyptic survival story, involving the escape of one family from a quarantined suburban town, and this family’s subsequent journey across America. They are either guided by the Archangel Gabriel, or by a shared hallucination of him. Their key challenges will be practical, oriented around day-to-day survival, but the overarching themes of the story are mythic and religious.

• All players will take the role of members of the Miller family, an ordinary middle-class bunch from Greendale, Ohio – a suburb of Dayton. I will not play as a member of the family; rather, I will describe events in the world, and I will periodically use visitations by Gabriel to move the plot along. Your characters – the Miller family – will be responsible for their own destinies.

• Because all characters are members of the same family, the character-creation process will have to be collective. You will work together to flesh out your characters’ relationships, and to build a realistic family, with strengths and weaknesses, love and dysfunction, all at the same time. I will mediate the character-creation process in order to accomplish that goal. Therefore, you do not have complete and individual control over your character’s creation in the traditional sense.

• Your characters should be ordinary people. Backgrounds in the military or law enforcement are forbidden. A fair number of the characters should be children, teenagers, or old folks, not adults in the prime of life. None of them have ever hiked across a postapocalyptic country before, and they are not wilderness survival experts. On the plus side, since your characters are unlikely to know anything more about survival or the post-Plague world than you do, you don’t need to do any research (a first for one of my RPs). In general, assume that whatever you don’t know, your character doesn’t know.

• Your characters will each have an inventory: all their worldly possessions, which they are carrying around with them in backpacks. In your applications, make sure that inventory is detailed, but also bear in mind how much weight your character could realistically carry. As OP, I promise that either a lack of vital supplies or overloaded hiking packs would bode ill for your characters. As your characters acquire new possessions, be sure to keep your inventories updated. This will add to the tension produced by the struggle to survive.

• Finally, have fun. Postapocalyptic survival, especially using ordinary people as protagonists, is a chance for us to imagine the greatest possible test that we might someday face in the course of ordinary human life. Like a horror movie, it explores and exorcises anxiety and fear. It is, in its own way, a grand adventure. And, in the case of this particular RP, it is also a golden opportunity for abundant familial bickering – so there’s no need to take everything absolutely seriously all the time!

The Commandments

• We always do the stuff about me being OP, and my authoritaaah, and courtesy and self-control, and so on. I’m going to assume that if I let you in the door, you know all of this already. Don’t disappoint me.

• Keep it PG-13, or put the heavy stuff in clearly marked spoilers. Yes, the apocalypse is messed-up, and contains messed-up stuff. But there are twelve-year-olds on this forum. Bear that in mind.

• Read the lore in the first post. If you still have a question about the setting, and if the question has to do with the family, then work out an answer with your fellow players: the Miller family is your shared creation. If you have a question about the setting not related to the family, then post it here in the OOC, and I will put the answer in the FAQs below. If it’s a really minor thing, just go ahead and make it up. I’ll let you know if there’s an issue.

• Despite all the religious themes, don’t be overawed by anything. This story should be fast-moving. I write long posts. When it comes to dialogue, you don’t have to do that. Four sentences, if they are good sentences, are fine for conversation. I would rather have four good sentences every day or two than one massive post every two weeks. Feel free to cut yourselves some slack.

• I have a basic plotline, but it’s more a sense of where the arc is going to go than a sequence of events. I’ll flesh the main story out as time goes on, but we’re going to get there through a long and happy series of side missions. And those, y’all will have plenty of input in. So speak up if you have ideas! We’re writing this together.
Last edited by Reverend Norv on Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:56 pm

ROLES AND APPLICATION

Character Creation

Due to the nature of the storytelling entailed by this RP, I and all other players will be more involved with the character creation process than would ordinarily be expected.

Each of your character must be a member of the Miller family. The following four roles must be filled before the RP can begin:
  • Father
  • Mother
  • Daughter
  • Son
Other available roles include additional children of either gender, and grandparents. I will accept uncles, aunts, and cousins only hesitantly. No more than half of the characters should be adults in the prime of life.

Second, the Millers are not just any random group of people. They are a middle-class family living in suburban Ohio. As mentioned in the introduction, they are “mostly” white – meaning that at least one of the two parents is Caucasian. One child may be adopted. The Millers are also “mostly” Christian: at least a few of the characters should identify as Christian, although their actual level of piety or religious practice is up to the players, and Christianity is the cultural background for the family as a whole. The Millers are quite average, though this need not mean that they are uninteresting. But it does mean that no one in the family serves, or has served, in law enforcement or in the military, and nobody has extraordinary adventures to look back upon at the start of the story.

Third, I will consult with you closely in the character-creation process, and I may even ask you to make modifications. I will, however, try to keep such direct intervention to a minimum. No single character needs to be designed to serve a particular role for the purposes of the plot.

Fourth, as you develop your application and after your apps are accepted, I will ask you to start talking to other accepted players. In particular, your characters’ bios should show that you are building off of the bios of other accepted characters. Together, you will develop preexisting relationships between your characters that reflect the fact that they are all fellow members of a loving, if not always highly functional, family. These people are not strangers, meeting each other for the first time. They are flesh of each other’s flesh, blood of each other’s blood. They have spent their entire lives together. Ultimately, this RP will succeed or fail based on how well you are able to capture the rewarding dynamic of playing as a family rather than as individuals. That begins with discussion here.

Finally, please note that the players responsible for the family’s father and mother will be expected to post even more reliably than others, since they are likely to be central to the family’s decision-making process. Trusted players are free to reserve roles within the family, but I will expect reservations to be followed by apps (at least works in progress) within five days. After that, I’ll put the role back on the open market.

The Application

Code: Select all
[b]Role within the Miller Family:[/b]

[hr][/hr]

[b]Name:[/b]

[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Gender:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b]

[hr][/hr]

[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]Likes:[/b]

[b]Dislikes:[/b]

[b]Fears:[/b]

[b]Hobbies:[/b]

[b]Skills:[/b]

[b]Weaknesses:[/b]

[hr][/hr]

[b]Ethnicity:[/b]

[b]Political Views:[/b]

[b]Sexuality:[/b]

[b]Religion:[/b]

[hr][/hr]

[b]Inventory; include total weight:[/b]

[hr][/hr]

[b]Biography:[/b]

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:57 pm

DRAMATIS PERSONAE

(This will be updated as time goes on)

The Miller Family

• Joan Anastasia Miller: the matriarch of the Miller family, wife of David and mother of Benny, Josh, and Delilah. A hardworking doctor with a big heart, she was at the center of every potluck and PTA meeting until the Plague struck. Joan is, in many ways, the moral and religious center of her family - but she also struggles with her faith, especially when she feels helpless, and the fear of hell is both a spur and a handicap for her. Age 48.
  • David Arnold Miller: the patriarch of the Miller family, husband of Joan and father of Benny, Josh, and Delilah. An untalkative man of bookish and solitary interests, often overshadowed by his wife and brother. But David has deep reserves of quiet strength, and among the more unstable personalities of the Miller clan, he is grounded and sensible. Age 48.

• Josh Miller: the eldest son of Joan and David. He is a quiet young man with a knack for computers; of all the Millers, he began preparing the earliest and the most effectively for the Plague. Carly Paxton, executed by the National Guard, was his first love, and he has never completely recovered from her loss. Averse to confrontation, Josh nevertheless possesses a deep contrarian streak, and is prone to anxiety. Age 21.

• Mojo Miller: Josh's dog, a medium-sized mutt rescued from the streets and adopted into the family. Easily excited and fiercely loyal, Mojo is beloved by the family as a whole. Age 4.
    • Shelby Elridge Miller: the eldest daughter of Joan and David. Tomboyish, outdoorsy, with a keen interest in history and military affairs, Shelby is the family's best shot. Age 21.

• Benny Miller: the second son of Joan and David, and Anastasia's fraternal twin. He is a moody teenager with a penchant for offensive humor, radical politics, and vintage punk rock. Uncertain about his sexuality, Benny has a fraught relationship with his mother and struggles to feel accepted in his family. Age 16.

• Anastasia Delilah Miller: the younger daughter of Joan and David, and Benny's fraternal twin. She goes by her middle name. An intelligent, hard-working, well-behaved, obedient girl whose nurturing instincts belie a talent for deceit and a budding megalomania. Age 16.
  • Jack Emmet ("Jem") Miller: the adopted brother of David and father of Emily. Jem is a psychologically fragile author, and a former high school hockey star and Catholic seminarian. His relationship with the rest of the Miller family is complicated at best. Age 46.

• Emily Elaine Miller: the daughter and only child of Jem Miller, and cousin of the other Miller children. A bright, cheerful, precocious little girl, with a great love of the outdoors, Emily sublimates her fear in order to become a rock of stability for the older members of the family. She was the first member of the Miller family to whom the Archangel Gabriel appeared. Age 8.

Other Characters

INVENTORY

• Clothing

• Josh
      • 2x Smartwool socks
      • 1x Thermal top.
      • 1x Thermal leggings.
      • 1x Pair, waterproof gloves.
      • 1x Carhartt jacket
      • 1x Sweatshirt, Columbia University.
      • 3x Pair jeans, Levis.
      • 3x Shirts, short sleeve.
      • 3x Shirts, long sleeve.
      • 5x Underwear, briefs.
      • 3x Underwear, thermal.
      • 1x Baseball cap (Columbia University).
      • 1x Sweater, wool.
      • 1x Jacket, fleece.
      • 1x Jacket, rain attachment.
      • 1 Hiking boots, pair.
      • 1x sunglasses, Oakley sport.
    • Benny
      • 2x graphic tees
      • 1x black long-sleeved shirt
      • 1x cargo shorts
      • 1x Levi jeans
      • 4x pair of Hanes socks
      • 1x white Vans
      • 1x black bomber jacket
      • 4x Fruit of the Loom briefs, assorted colors
      • 1x cheap sunglasses
    • Shelby
      • 2x pair Smartwool socks
      • 1x Russian Army Spetsnaz Digital Flora summer-type camouflage jacket and pants
      • 1x Russian Army Flora pattern winter camouflage jacket and pants with removable inserts
      • 1x Russian Army MPA-24 Sand desert camouflage jacket and pants
      • 5x spare hiking underwear, bra and boyshorts
    • Anastasia
      • 1x cross-and-chain ring
      • 3x tank tops
      • 3x athletic leggings, two black, one grey.
      • 3x women's underwear, athletic.
      • 2x white ankle socks.
      • 1x woolen socks.
      • 1x Columbia University hoodie
      • 1x faux-varsity jacket.
      • 1x Timberland boots
      • 1x Nike running shoes.
    • Jem
      • 1x newsboy hat
      • 1x wool pea-coat
      • 2x black T-shirt
      • 1x wool sweater
      • 2x pair of jeans
      • 1x pair of boots
      • 1x pair of gloves
      • 4x pair of socks
      • 6x pair of men's boxers
      • 1x sweatshirt
      • 1x cargo shorts
      • 1x John Lennon-style sunglasses
    • Emily
      • 1x child's yellow raincoat.
      • 3x spare underwear
      • 2x tee-shirt
      • 1x large fleece shirt, tied around waist
      • Scrunchies and hair clips
      • 1x Spare jeans
      • 1x Spare shorts
      • 2x Extra socks
      • 1x sandals, tied and dangle from pack
      • Her mother's old scarf (worn, regardless of weather)
      • 1x pair mittens
      • 1x knit hat
  • Hiking Equipment
    • 4x adult backpack
    • 1x child's backpack
    • 3x sleeping bags, one of which is large enough for two people
    • 1x sleeping mat
    • 2x Hammock, spacing bars removed.
    • 1x Tarp, 10'x10'
    • 3x Paracord, 200' total
    • 2x backpack rain cover
    • Assorted canteens and water bottles, containing a total of 6.6 liters.
    • 1x LifeStraw filter.
    • 1x Titanium cooking pot w/ lid
    • 2x 3x4 foot pieces, aluminum foil
    • 1x pack matches
    • 3x Fluid lighter, Zippo.
    • 1x Electric lighter, Zippo.
    • 2x Container, lighter fluid (total 22 oz.)
    • Fire starters
    • 2x Compasses
    • 2x Swiss army knives, classic.
    • 1x Pocketknife
    • 1x Roll, Duct Tape.
    • 2x sunscreen containers
    • 2x insect repellent spray
    • 1x SPF 30 Lip balm.
    • 1x Sewing/patch kit.
    • 1x plastic whistle on lanyard
    • 1x Signal mirror (2×3 in.)
    • 1x Small flashlight with extra batteries
    • 1x American Red Cross Emergency Radio w/flashlight and crank charger
    • 1x Motorola X Pure Edition cellphone
    • 1x USB charger
    • 1x Emergency blanket
    • 1x Leatherman Multitool
    • 1x Victorinox SwissTool X Plus
    • 1x Mountaineer Survival Kit Bracelet, including:
      • 1x Paracord, 8 feet.
      • 1x Firesteel.
      • 1x Line, fishing. 20 feet.
      • 2x Hooks, fish.
      • 1x Straw, 5 inches.
      • 2x Bands, ranger.
      • 1x Retro-Reflector.
      • 1x Wire saw, 17 inches.
      • 1x Striker blade.
      • 2x Waterproof First Aid Tinder packets.
      • 1x. Whistle.
      • 1x Mirror.
      • 1x Surgical tubing, 8".
      • 1x Magnetized needle, size 7.
    • 3x Candles, wax.
    • 2x Candles, waterproof.
  • Weapons
    • 2x Bowie knives, fixed blade, with hip sheath
    • 1x Gransfors Bruks Mini Belt Hatchet
    • 1x M&P Shield, 9mm, with hip holster and three magazines.
    • 2x Boxes, 9mm parabellum ammo, 50 count per.
    • 1x M91/30 Mosin-Nagant with black walnut replacement stock, rubber recoil pad, S&K scope mount, 4-12 scope with homemade ARD, stripper clip, and extended 10-round magazine
    • 2x boxes 7.62x54R full metal jacket, 174 grain, 20 rounds
    • 2x boxes 7.62x54R soft point, 203 grain, 20 rounds
  • Medical Supplies
    • 1x Bottle, calamine lotion.
    • 1x First Aid Kit, extended (Josh)
      • 1x Sewing needle and thread.
      • 4x 4x4 Sterile dressing pads.
      • 4x 3x4 Sterile gauze pads.
      • 2x Sterile Q-tips.
      • 1x Tube, benzoin tincture
      • 5x Isopropyl alcohol rubbing wipes
      • 4x Triple-antibiotic ointment packets.
      • 1x. Band-aids.
      • 4x Extra-large band-aids.
      • 10x Butterfly closures.
      • 10x Tylenol extra-strength.
      • 10x Tylenol regular.
      • 20x Ibuprofen.
      • 20x Antacid tabs.
      • 6x Antihistamine tablets.
      • 10x Imodium a-d anti-diarrheal caplets
      • 1x 6x6 moleskin pad.
      • 1x Roll, adhesive cloth tape.
      • 1x Roll, sterile gauze wrap.
      • 4x Packets, electrolyte boosters.
    • 1x Child's First Aid Kit (Emily)
      • Band-aids
      • Tweezers
      • Chapstick
      • Small sunscreen
      • Moleskin for blisters
      • Water purification tablets
      • Kaopectate tablets
      • Rolaids
      • Needle
      • Nail clippers
      • Eye drops
      • Small bar of anti-bacterial soap
      • Misc. safety pins
      • Pepto tablets
      • Aspirin
      • Tylenol
  • Consumables
    • Cigarettes, approximately equivalent to 2.3 packs.
    • 1x Bottle, Absolut Vodka.
    • 1x Flask, Grey Goose vodka.
    • Beef jerky, gorp, Red Bull, and some old power bars.
    • 5x cans food.
    • 1x bag, self-rising flour.
    • 1x bag, multi-purpose flour.
    • 5x bags, beef jerky.
    • 1x can, dried eggs.
    • 1x bag, salt.
    • 1x bag, coffee grinds.
    • 2x bags dog food, total 15 pounds.
  • Miscellany
    • 5x freezer bags
    • 10x Garbage bags.
    • Assorted condoms and feminine hygeine products
    • Assorted cash, change, credit and debit cards, and identification.
    • 3x Rolls, toilet paper (one is in a plastic bag)
    • 1x Small notebook with pencil
    • Chalk
    • 5x pens, plus Benny's fountain pen and ink refills
    • Assorted toiletries (brushes, toothbrushes, wash cloths, old towels, gum, deoderant, razors, shaving cream)
    • Mr. Chicken
    • Emily's favorite paperback book
    • Benny's books (The Winds of Winter, Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth, Batman: The Long Halloween, The Dark Knight Returns, and The Killing Joke)
    • Emily's little book of prayers
    • 2x Rosary
    • 1x Chaplet of Divine Mercy booklet
    • Anastasia's and Jem's journals
    • Benny's notebook
    • Anastasia's glasses (-9 in her left eye and -12 in her right eye) and less effective backup glasses, together with their cases.
    • The Stand, by Stephen King
    • Miller Family bible.
    • Jem's Roman Catholic Bible
    • Mojo's flea and tick collar and tags.
    • Mojo's leash and harness.
    • Mojo's dog bowl.
    • Musher's Secret paw wax and tick key.
    • 1x canine snake bite kit.
    • Mojo's tennis ball.
Last edited by Reverend Norv on Wed May 04, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 20 times in total.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:57 pm

FAQs
Last edited by Reverend Norv on Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:08 pm

I certainly don't have time for this.

But you'd better believe I will be keeping tabs, and if I become suddenly unemployed, I'll be here in a flash.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rupudska » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:23 pm

I am running a quest thread on another site and debating which of several RP ideas I want to make reality here.

But you best believe I'm joining this.
The Holy Roman Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT & FT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState | Retired King of P2TM
Best thread ever.
MT Factbook/FT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.
Presumably they use advanced technology like STRIKE WITCHES

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:25 pm

Well, I'll have to think long and hard about signing up. Summer is Coming, and so that means I may actually have time to participate in it; it also means I very well may not, depending on what kind of summer work (if any) I get and where on the map that doesn't leave me. But whatever it will likely be part-time and probably won't have homework, so I'll tentatively start my app. I'm thinking maybe a Miller son or daughter would be a good character (certainly not the only one), probably mid-teens, probably with a major character arc being figuring out his or her sexuality (right what you know, eh?) or religious beliefs or something or other, though all this obviously through the lenses of a visitation by an Archangel and the apocalypse. Maybe someone moody, I don't usually play anyone too moody and that'd be good for stretching myself a bit.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:26 pm

Astrolinium wrote:Well, I'll have to think long and hard about signing up. Summer is Coming, and so that means I may actually have time to participate in it; it also means I very well may not, depending on what kind of summer work (if any) I get and where on the map that doesn't leave me. But whatever it will likely be part-time and probably won't have homework, so I'll tentatively start my app. I'm thinking maybe a Miller son or daughter would be a good character (certainly not the only one), probably mid-teens, probably with a major character arc being figuring out his or her sexuality (right what you know, eh?) or religious beliefs or something or other, though all this obviously through the lenses of a visitation by an Archangel and the apocalypse. Maybe someone moody, I don't usually play anyone too moody and that'd be good for stretching myself a bit.

That sounds right on the money. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Rupudska wrote:I am running a quest thread on another site and debating which of several RP ideas I want to make reality here.

But you best believe I'm joining this.

Fantastic!

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:29 pm

I realized while I was writing this that Pilgrimage is the first of my RPs not to require tons of background information about a historical period or fictional setting. That makes getting an OP up much easier: I can already assume that most players basically know what suburban Ohio life is like.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:29 pm

BITCH I'D NEVER MISS THIS
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:32 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:I realized while I was writing this that Pilgrimage is the first of my RPs not to require tons of background information about a historical period or fictional setting. That makes getting an OP up much easier: I can already assume that most players basically know what suburban Ohio life is like.

What is this "Oh High Oh" of which you speak?

In all seriousness, I'm very excited about it. It reminds me a lot of what I was trying to go for several years back with And There Was Light, but much better done and well-put together.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:37 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:I realized while I was writing this that Pilgrimage is the first of my RPs not to require tons of background information about a historical period or fictional setting. That makes getting an OP up much easier: I can already assume that most players basically know what suburban Ohio life is like.

In all seriousness, I'm very excited about it. It reminds me a lot of what I was trying to go for several years back with And There Was Light, but much better done and well-put together.

I'm truly flattered; And There Was Light was actually one of my inspirations for this. After having worked out the very grounded style of Likely Lads, I also wanted to try for something bigger and more mythic. As I mentioned in the Cafe, I'm going to be leaning very heavily on The Hero With A Thousand Faces to give Pilgrimage's plot drive and structure, so folks familiar with the Monomyth will be able to spot Campbell's hand at work here now and again.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:41 pm

I am going to have to really, really, REALLY work hard on my character for this.

This makes me happy in difficult-to-quantify ways.
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:42 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

I'm truly flattered; And There Was Light was actually one of my inspirations for this. After having worked out the very grounded style of Likely Lads, I also wanted to try for something bigger and more mythic. As I mentioned in the Cafe, I'm going to be leaning very heavily on The Hero With A Thousand Faces to give Pilgrimage's plot drive and structure, so folks familiar with the Monomyth will be able to spot Campbell's hand at work here now and again.

Well I'll be damned; really? I couldn't be more flattered, in that case. You really have executed the concept better; having a plague is much better than the sort of random "everyone's kind of give up because yeah" I had going, and the decision to have everyone part of one family is inspired.

Anyway, better throw an app up for good measure. Obviously very WIP, but figured I'd set something up so we have something concrete to begin working with.

Role within the Miller Family: Son

Name: Benny Miller

Appearance: Curly brownish hair, like mom. Gray eyes, like mom. Dumb rodent smile, just like mom. Mom, mom, mom, everything sooo like his mom. Short - has about an inch on Anastasia, but that's not very impressive. Thin as a rail, too. Nearsighted like his sister, so he wears glasses too, but his are round wire-frame ones. Often seen wearing monochromatic shades - black and grey, mostly, especially his favorite shirt, one with Jared Leto's Joker on it.

Personality: Moody teen, probably a genuinely good person somewhere in there. Where his twin is, he isn't: she's quiet, so he's loud, she's respectful, so he's moody and always has to have the last word, where she's responsible, he's lazy. A lot of his rebelliousness, too, is a reaction against his mother's devoutness, where he sees Anastasia as having folded to it. He admires Josh a lot, and a hair trigger for his anger is people making fun of his older brother's stutter.

Likes: Vintage punk rock (think Green Day [before they sold out] and the Ramones), needlessly offensive humor, DC comics, Call of Duty, fantasy novels (especially A Song of Ice and Fire), his grandfather, his brother, always having the last word

Dislikes: Poetry, his mother, anything frilly, what an "uppity bitch" his little sister can be, basically everything his older sister stands for (assuming Rup's app stays about as is in terms of basic personality)

Fears: Lack of acceptance, the unknown, not understanding, spiders

Hobbies: Going on Reddit (or it was, anyway), playing video games, making fun of stupid people

Skills: He can shoot a little - Dad made sure of it - but he doesn't much like it, he knows how to argue, and he's naturally fast and agile

Weaknesses: Doesn't know when to back down and shut his mouth, often accused of not having common sense, quick to anger

Ethnicity: Caucasian, I assume

Political Views: 2Edgy4U radical, learned most of his politics off the internet, very bitter about [Insert Candidate Here] winning the 2016 Presidential Election even though it ended up not really mattering quite shortly thereafter and even though he was 14 and still far off from being able to vote, let alone have more than a basic High School Civics class understanding of politics.

Sexuality: Unsure [Astro: Boy's gay as shit, he just doesn't know it]

Religion: Unsure, but the Archangel Gabriel is pretty convincing evidence for something Abrahamic, I guess. He knows his grandfather might have been Jewish at one point, and he'd been looking a lot into that before the Quarantine, and he liked what he learned.

Inventory; include total weight:
  • 1x pocket knife
  • 1x Zippo lighter
  • 1x leather wallet
    • 7x $1.00 bills, crumpled
    • 1x Provisional Driver's License
    • 1x high school ID
    • 1x Susan B. Anthony dollar coin
    • 3x state quarters: Ohio, Alaska, North Carolina
  • 1x black duffel bag
    • 2x graphic tees
    • 1x black long-sleeved shirt
    • 1x cargo shorts
    • 1x Levi jeans
    • 4x pair of Hanes socks
    • 1x white Vans
    • 1x black bomber jacket
    • 4x Fruit of the Loom briefs, assorted colors
  • 1x backpack
    • 1x Deep Woods Off bugspray
    • 1x Coppertone Sport sunscreen
    • 1x paperback copy of The Winds of Winter (if we're being optimistic about Martin's productivity)
    • 1x copy of Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth
    • 1x copy of Batman: The Long Halloween
    • 1x copy of The Dark Knight Returns
    • 1x copy of The Killing Joke
    • 1x Motorola X Pure Edition cellphone
    • 1x USB charger
    • 1x Zebra fountain pen
    • 6x ink refills
    • 1x Moleskine notebook
    • 1x cheap Walgreen's sunglasses
    • 1x toothbrush
    • 1x Crest Mint toothpaste
    • 1x Speed Stick deodorant, unscented
    • 3x disposable Gillette razor
    • 1x Gillette shaving cream
    • 1x sleeping bag
  • Total weight: ~11 lbs?

Biography: To Be Written
Last edited by Astrolinium on Wed May 04, 2016 6:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:45 pm

Neo Arcad wrote:I am going to have to really, really, REALLY work hard on my character for this.

This makes me happy in difficult-to-quantify ways.

That is about the best reaction I could hope for.

For anyone making a character, feel free to throw your ideas out here before you post a completed app. That way, you can draw on each other's ideas to develop your characters as part of the same family right from the start. Astro's got exactly the right idea on that.

As for the date, Astro, it's now April of 2018, one year after Quarantine started in April of 2017.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rupudska » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:45 pm

Astrolinium wrote:

It's the space between Pennsylvania and Indiana. Little is known about it besides it spawns a lot of astronauts, who presumably became astronauts to get as far away from Ohio as possible.
Last edited by Rupudska on Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Holy Roman Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT & FT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState | Retired King of P2TM
Best thread ever.
MT Factbook/FT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.
Presumably they use advanced technology like STRIKE WITCHES

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:52 pm

Would you believe that I wrote the first part of the background info - the bit about the Plague - almost two years ago? That's how long I've been kicking this idea around.

Would you believe that this was the news the day after I wrote it?

It freaked me out so much that I abandoned the whole idea and launched Likely Lads instead.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:53 pm

Ok, I'm looking at either doing a daughter (based to some degree on my younger sister) or else some other member of the family not yet listed- perhaps a grandfather or something like that. If I were playing an elderly character (one with some health issues, at that) would it be okay if he were a Navy Vietnam vet? Again, he'd be based on a real person I know.

I dunno, just ideas.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:58 pm

Neo Arcad wrote:Ok, I'm looking at either doing a daughter (based to some degree on my younger sister) or else some other member of the family not yet listed- perhaps a grandfather or something like that. If I were playing an elderly character (one with some health issues, at that) would it be okay if he were a Navy Vietnam vet? Again, he'd be based on a real person I know.

I dunno, just ideas.

Ah, what the hell. I'll make an exception to the no-veterans policy for you, provided that his service record is pretty average and that he is indeed old and in imperfect health. Either of those ideas sounds great to me.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:11 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Ok, I'm looking at either doing a daughter (based to some degree on my younger sister) or else some other member of the family not yet listed- perhaps a grandfather or something like that. If I were playing an elderly character (one with some health issues, at that) would it be okay if he were a Navy Vietnam vet? Again, he'd be based on a real person I know.

I dunno, just ideas.

Ah, what the hell. I'll make an exception to the no-veterans policy for you, provided that his service record is pretty average and that he is indeed old and in imperfect health. Either of those ideas sounds great to me.

Shot in the knee, actually, and he still has a limp. He became a peacenik after that incident ended his service- not that he was unhappy about being sent home, since he was drafted in the first place. That's the backstory, although I'm not going to make him like his real-world basis in other ways. But since this is a religiously-themed RP, and the person I'm basing this character on is a no-longer-practicing Jew... I think I'd be remiss in omitting that detail.

Gosh, I'm starting to get the feeling that this is the beginning of something excellent. And why not start with the family's founder?

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:15 pm

Neo Arcad wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:

Shot in the knee, actually, and he still has a limp. He became a peacenik after that incident ended his service- not that he was unhappy about being sent home, since he was drafted in the first place. That's the backstory, although I'm not going to make him like his real-world basis in other ways. But since this is a religiously-themed RP, and the person I'm basing this character on is a no-longer-practicing Jew... I think I'd be remiss in omitting that detail.

Gosh, I'm starting to get the feeling that this is the beginning of something excellent. And why not start with the family's founder?

Sounds good to me, though I'll remind you that the predominant religion in the Miller family should be Christianity. That said, if you can justify the existence of a lapsed-Jewish grandfather, I'll allow it. It could be an interesting point of dissension within the family.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Cylarn » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:16 pm

I've got a paper and presentation on farm violence in South Africa, and then presentations and papers on inequality in Brazil and Zimbabwe. On top of that, I've also got my own familial RP in the works, although my recent laptop-hopping has been significantly delaying the RP. I probably won't participate, though I will definitely observe.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:20 pm

Cylarn wrote:I've got a paper and presentation on farm violence in South Africa, and then presentations and papers on inequality in Brazil and Zimbabwe. On top of that, I've also got my own familial RP in the works, although my recent laptop-hopping has been significantly delaying the RP. I probably won't participate, though I will definitely observe.

Good to know that you've got your priorities straight, Cy. Drop by the OOC any time.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 25, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Len Hyet » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:26 pm

Well first off I'm flattered by the invitation.
Second off you bet your sweet biscuits I'm in.
Third off, some more general questions for everyone

1) Pets. I feel like the Millers would have a dog, maybe two. Possibly a cat, but if there is a cat I can promise my character is going to hate cats because on general principle I refuse to like cats. I would sincerely like a dog, not only would it improve the RP I think, but it would add an extra dimension to survival issues.

2) Guns. This is suburban Ohio, and Ohio does not require permits for, registration or licensing of, firearms. The only requirement is a LTC for pistols. Because of this lack of registration there are a wild variety of gun ownership statistics out there, ranging from just over 30 percent to just under 20 percent, with a few corroborating sources going either direction. If the Millers were not a gun owning family before the crisis, I can see an argument for them purchasing a single rifle or handgun before the quarantine, and potentially one or two after as there is a small number of local gun dealerships. If they were gun owners before, how many guns? Most gun owners own more than one gun, several owning half a dozen or more. The arguments for/against guns are multiple. For, they're going to get involved at some point, this is post-apoc after all. There really is a strong precedent that would suggest a global crisis would cause the family to have purchased a gun. Guns would provide an interesting dynamic to survival situations, making them swing more to one or the other extreme of making us far more or less likely to survive. Against, it will make the survival situations more difficult, and thus more interesting to RP potentially. The highest statistic I can find suggests a 32.4% gun ownership rate, which would make it less likely that we owned a gun before the crisis, but not out of the picture entirely.

3) I'd like to put forward a character app, Nordwind I know you said a limit on prime-of-life adults, would a college student be okay? Anything marked with a - is something I haven't figured out yet

Role within the Miller Family: Oldest Son

Name: Josh Miller

Appearance: Dark/dirty blonde hair, blue eyes, stubble around jaw/mouth. Kinda shabby look, clothes tend to be wrinkled but clean. 5'10", 172 pounds, slightly heavier than he used to be when he played Football, but isn't quite fat yet.

Personality: Generally quiet, rarely offers his opinions unless specifically sought out.

Likes: Computers/video games, football, science fiction/fantasy.

Dislikes: Bullies, the religious right, arguments/confrontation with family.

Fears: Not finding love, what the future holds, uncertainty.

Hobbies: Tinkering with the physical components of computers, video games, programming.

Skills: Computers, physics, running, catching, some small amount of physical combat skills (played football)

Weaknesses: Stutter, gets worse with stress. Endurance has degraded due to lack of exercise and smoking habit. Smoker. Contrary, tends to disbelieve whatever the prevailing theory is.

Ethnicity: Caucasian/whatever blend the parents are

Political Views: Left wing, Social Democrat. Voted for Bernie Sanders.

Sexuality: Heterosexual.

Religion: Raised Christian, agnostic. Unsure of whether or not Gabriel isn't just a mass hallucination.

Inventory; include total weight:
Bold means placeholder, can be edited/removed as family is fleshed out.
  • 1. Swiss-Gear Backpack, hiking/school.
  • 1. Wallet, containing;
  • 1. Driver's licence (real).
  • 1. Driver's licence (fake).
  • 1. ID, student (Columbia University).
  • 1. Card, debit.
  • 1. Card, credit.
  • 1. $50 bill.
  • 5. $20 bills.
  • 5. $10 bills.
  • 5. $5 bills.
  • 10. $1 bills.
  • 2. Condoms, unused.
  • 2. Pair, Smartwool socks.
  • 1. Thermal top.
  • 1. Thermal leggings.
  • 1. Pair, waterproof gloves.
  • 1. Carhartt jacket.
  • 1. Sweatshirt, Columbia University.
  • 3. Pair jeans, Levis.
  • 3. Shirts, short sleeve.
  • 3. Shirts, long sleeve.
  • 5. Underwear, briefs.
  • 3. Underwear, thermal.
  • 1. Baseball cap (Columbia University).
  • 1. Sweater, wool.
  • 1. Jacket, fleece.
  • 1. Jacket, rain attachment.
  • 1. Hiking boots, pair.
  • 1. Sleeping bag, rated to 20 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • 2. Hammock, spacing bars removed.
  • 1. Tarp, 10'x10'
  • 1. Paracord, 75'
  • 1. Backpack rain cover.
  • 5. Freezer bags.
  • 5. Garbage bags.
  • 1. LifeStraw filter.
  • 1. Titanium cooking pot w/ lid
  • 1. Bowie knife, fixed blade.
  • 1. Hip sheath, knife.
  • 1. Fluid lighter, Zippo.
  • 1. Electric lighter, Zippo.
  • 2. Cigarette packs, Marlboro.
  • 1. Container, lighter fluid (10 oz.)
  • 1. Compass, brass.
  • 1. M&P Shield, 9mm.
  • 3. Magazines, 9mm.
  • 3. Boxes, 9mm parabellum ammo, 50 count per.
  • 1. Hip Holster, Blackhawk SERPA
  • 1. Gransfors Bruks Mini Belt Hatchet
  • 1. Leatherman Multitool
  • 1. First Aid Kit, extended.
  • 1. Sewing needle and thread.
  • 4. 4x4 Sterile dressing pads.
  • 4. 3x4 Sterile gauze pads.
  • 2. Sterile Q-tips.
  • 1. Tube, benzoin tincture
  • 5. Isopropyl alcohol rubbing wipes
  • 4. Triple-antibiotic ointment packets.
  • 10. Band-aids.
  • 4. Extra-large band-aids.
  • 10. Butterfly closures.
  • 10. Tylenol extra-strength.
  • 10. Tylenol regular.
  • 20. Ibuprofen.
  • 20. Antacid tabs.
  • 6. Antihistamine tablets.
  • 10. Imodium a-d anti-diarrheal caplets
  • 1. 6x6 moleskin pad.
  • 1. Roll, adhesive cloth tape.
  • 1. Roll, sterile gauze wrap.
  • 4. Packets, electrolyte boosters.
  • 1. Roll, Duct Tape.
  • 1. Pair, sunglasses. Oakley sport.
  • 1. Sawyer Sunblock, 50 SPF
  • 1. Spray on insect repellent, Sawyer Fisherman's Formula Picaridin.
  • 1. SPF 30 Lip balm.
  • 1. Bottle, calamine lotion.
  • 1. Sewing/patch kit.
  • 2. Rolls, toilet paper.
  • 1. Mountaineer Survival Kit Bracelet;
  • 1. Paracord, 8 feet.
  • 1. Firesteel.
  • 1. Line, fishing. 20 feet.
  • 2. Hooks, fish.
  • 1. Straw, 5 inches.
  • 2. Bands, ranger.
  • 1. Retro-Reflector.
  • 1. Wire saw, 17 inches.
  • 1. Striker blade.
  • 2. Waterproof First Aid Tinder packets.
  • 1. Whistle.
  • 1. Mirror.
  • 1. Surgical tubing, 8".
  • 1. Magnetized needle, size 7.
  • 2. Candles, wax.
  • 2. Candles, waterproof.
  • 1. Bag, self-rising flower.
  • 1. Bag, multi-purpose flower.
  • 5. Bags, beef jerky.
  • 1. Can, dried eggs.
  • 1. Bag, salt.
  • 1. Bag, dog food, 10 pounds.
  • 1. Bag, coffee grinds.
  • 1. Canteen, 1.5 liters.
  • 1. Bottle, Vodka, 1.5 liters.
  • 1. Flask, Grey Goose vodka.
    Weight: Approximately 45 pounds.

Biography: The eldest of the Miller family children, Josh began life roughly the same as everybody else, pink, mostly hairless, and screaming. After that phase he spent his youth alternating between playing Little League Baseball and PeeWee Football for the local leagues, and delving deeper and deeper into the mysteries of the internet and computers in general. As he approached middle school Josh built his first computer, the continuation of a love affair between him and delicate machinery that would last a lifetime. Finding out that it took barely even the most basic of knowledge to put together a functioning computer from spare parts was the most exciting thing in the world to an eleven year old, and the first time it booted up he quite literally jumped up and shouted in joy.

In High School he continued these passions, becoming both an excellent student with a passion for the hard sciences as well as a receiver on the HS Football team. Freshman year was rough, finding where to fit in and who to fit in with is easy for nobody, and it's not strange that many people's least favorite memories include high school. That said, after joining the football team and finding his passion in computers was more than accepted in high school, he breathed easier, and Sophomore year was far easier socially, he even had a girlfriend, who didn't last long. It was hardly heart-break for Josh, and by Junior Year he was once again dating, this time with someone who shared his interests passionately, Carly Paxton. The two both loved tinkering with the hardware and software of computers, getting deep into cyberspace, but for different reasons. Josh just wanted to be able to do things nobody else could. He dabbled in hacking but found his greatest passion was in coding, in making programs that did things exactly the way he wanted them too. Carly's passion for cyberspace was founded in an intense need to know things, a desire to find out before anyone else. Later, she became enamored by the work of Edward Snowden, and found her calling in individual privacy and national transparency. The two went to both Junior and Senior prom together, and made, as one of Carly's friends put it "the cutest damn couple". They agreed to put their relationship on hold for a time while they went to college, but except for the summer of their second year when Carly was dating someone at school every break the two ended up back together.

When Josh was 17 he met Mojo, a starving, emaciated mutt who enjoyed humping legs and stuffed animals equally. He coaxed him into the yard, then the car, then the vet, and eventually convinced Mom and Dad to let him keep the dog, with the understanding that Josh would be taking care of him until he went to college. Josh immediately began a training regimen to prove Mojo's smarts and worth, and it paid off. Soon he could sit, stay, roll over, play dead, speak, and fetch. A few months later, Josh began teaching Mojo hand signals, after reading a book on dogs in Vietnam. After a few months of that, Mojo could do all of his previous commands with a silent cue, a neat party trick, which also happened to conceal Josh's small stutter.

Josh eventually went to Columbia University to study Computer Science. After his second year he moved off campus, and brought Mojo with him to school. Having his best friend at college was an enormous relief both for Josh, who no longer worried about his dog being away from him, and his family, who were glad to know he had a sixty five pound loyal mutt, "just in case". In the beginning of Josh's 4th year of his bachelors degree the panic began, and he flew home to be with his family "just in case" as he said. Neither he nor his parents openly discussed his decision to get a Concealed Carry Permit, nor his decision to buy a gun, nor the fact that before quarantine he regularly spent three hours every few days at the local gun range. After the quarantine he stopped going to the range, and before supplies began to run low purchased enough materials with a majority of his savings to reload his own rounds. Josh hadn't known Carly was back from college until she'd made a broadcast with the ham radio, and spent several frantic days trying to get in touch with her before he watched, numbly, as she was hung and her mother shot. Josh hasn't spoken much since, keeping quiet and to himself a majority of the time, doing his best to try and re-establish contact with the outside world. During his time at Columbia he had the opportunity to TA Network Security with Professor Peter L. Ibramovitch, one of the handful of most knowledgeable programmers and internet specialists on earth. Before Josh lost contact with Professor Ibramovitch, he learned that the US Government had pulled the plug on large numbers of internet nodes and NSPs, destroying most of the continents ability to access the web. A few remnant nodes and access points remained, mostly military in nature.

When Gabriel first appeared Josh was surprised, but not shocked. Aside from talking to Mojo he hadn't actually spoken in weeks except small, polite phrases to family and anyone who came calling. He figured it must have taken a psychological toll, and that Gabriel was a hallucination. Some way of dealing with the incredible situation he was in. Admittedly he wasn't thinking quite that clearly the first time, and nearly dove for his gun only to find that Gabriel had disappeared. The second time he saw him Gabriel spoke to Josh, introduced himself, and said that the almighty had chosen the Millers. Josh muttered that his subconscious was more religious than he was, and did his best to ignore the delusions. He considered going to the doctor, but would rather not tell anyone that the computer whiz kid had started to go crazy.

[Stuff about growing up with Benny - TBD]

[Stuff about growing up with Anastasia - TBD]

[Stuff about growing up with/around Emily - TBD]
Last edited by Len Hyet on Wed May 04, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 12 times in total.
=][= Founder, 1st NSG Irregulars. Our Militia is Well Regulated and Well Lubricated!
On a formerly defunct now re-declared one-man campaign to elevate the discourse of you heathens.
American 2L. No I will not answer your legal question.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse