NATION

PASSWORD

Star Trek: The Shadowdancer [IC]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Stormwrath
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwrath » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:22 am

Messhall, Shadowdancer
Surface of Ajilon Prime

Hmmm, the Captain has made a few bits of information known about the shuttle, most notably the fact that it can't cloak and it has a limited amount of weapons and ordnance equipped on it. He may have omitted certain things such as the craft being flight-ready, but she'd probably get Suval to help her fix it up before the mission can begin. But despite the limitations of the craft, Allie didn't seem unfazed by it. "I don't need to hit them or hide from them," she replied. "I just only need to make them look the other way long enough for the cargo to be succesfully transported. Just blasters and some countermeasures will do," she added while glancing at Galena.

Allie's realm was in the heavens, and she was trained in its arts of combat. It shouldn't be a problem if Maquis engage her and send her into a dizzying dogfight—she got this covered, and the shuttle appeared to look sturdy enough to withstand some of her more daring maneuvers.

It appears Nathan was approving of her suggestion. Seeing that Banrel had toasted her, Allie couldn't help but return the favor. "Well you got your pilot right here," she smiled and lifted her mug.

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:22 pm

Osterdaag was a flurry of activity. Part of the town had already managed to leave, which was a relief to the mayor of the town. He swallowed hard as he heard the voice shouting for him. He had to be strong in times of crisis, but this was a supremely unprecedented one. He put on the most friendly and welcoming face he could muster and stepped his way through the crowd that was slowly gathering in trepidation. He wouldn't compromise their traditions and ideals in this time either. While they were here he would be polite and civil.

"I suppose that would be me," the portly man responded, taking his hat off in a gesture of respect. "My name is Joseph Stoltzfus, and I am the mayor of Osterdaag. You're welcome to stay here while you need to: We're always happy to host strangers." He said calmly and evenly, before donning his hat once more.

In truth the mayor wanted to shake in his boots at this situation. The Cardassians had guns. Dangerous looking ones. The town scarcely had anything for hunting. if they attacked they would have no defense. The town was right damned, bar some miracle from the heavens. Not even a few dozen had managed to run to the site they were told to wait. A few more slipped out, but with the Cardassians here, leaving would only put those who managed to escape at risk.

So those who had even already gathered their belongings solemnly watched and waited for what might happen next. Good or Ill this was their home, after all. The most they could hope for was help from the Federation.
Agender - They/Them pronouns
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Some Political Charts: 1 2
Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

I wear teal, blue, pink for Swith

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:09 pm

Gul Remec managed a semi-cordial smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. Point in fact, it made him look harsher, his ridges more pronounced as though a predator knew the hunt was over before it even began. The Gul knew this wasn't a victory, but a planet for the Union was the goal. He just had to make sure it's inhabitants were compliant.

“Greetings, Mister Stoltzfus. We have much to discuss and I think it prudent,” Remec paused as he gazed across the denizens frozen in place, “that we find some place more private.”

The middle-aged man acknowledged wordlessly and gestured to the entrance behind him. Remec barely returned the acknowledgement, instead nodding to his first officer who whispered commands to their retinue. Joseph and Remec entered the room, a datapad in the Captain's hand while his men stood guard outside.

The interior had a dusty smell that assaulted the Cardassians nose, and the air was far to cool to his liking. Remec mused that would all change very soon.

“The Soltok system,” Remec began without other time wasting pleasantries, “Belongs to the Cardassian Union. Given the…. Simplistic… lifestyle here, I cannot begin speculate of your awareness to local space. Simply put, as stipulated by the Federation-Cardassian Treaty, you and your fellow citizens are now within the jurisdiction and care of the Cardassian government.”

Remec took a seat by a table. It's wooden furniture was uncomfortable, but it's mild annoyance was ignored as the Cardassian laid the datapad down onto the table and slid the device across. He gestured for Joseph to sit, “I insist.”

The Gul took the liberty to activate the device, tapping on a few buttons to access the treaty documents and then let the portly man review it's contents.

“As of 2370, by your Earth years, the Cardassian Union officially assumed claim and sovereignty of several Federation colony systems, including Soltok. Given your obvious way of life, I'm not sure your interstellar brethren even bothered to notify your people of the change. But worry not, we Cardassians pride ourselves with order, and as such are willing to make accommodations of your continued residence on our planet. They will be some official paperwork to fill out and adjustments to be made, but I believe we can find a common ground that works best for all parties.”

Remec eyed the feeble mayor sharply, he spared a moment before he spoke with expectation and thinly veiled malice, “Do you accept?”
Last edited by Mincaldenteans on Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:10 pm

The mayor took the seat the Cardassian insisted on him taking. The alien was already acting like it was his planet, and ordering them around. It left an increasingly sour taste in Stoltzfus's mouth. He sent a quick and silent prayer to God on behalf of the colony and his own strength, closing his eyes while he thought.

He glanced back up when he'd thought of a good response, and smiled kindly. "I'm sorry, I'm not very familiar with your people so excuse any blunders I make." He gave a small nod while remaining in his seat. The middle aged man cleared his throat before continuing.

"While we do not have much of a choice in this matter, I would be remiss to not bring up that we are not part of the Federation. They ceded us control of the planet decades ago. Any treaty they may have made in regards to the Soltok system would not involve our planet, as control was not theirs to give.

"Of course we are happy to host any Cardassians who stop on the planet to refuel and resupply. That was our arrangement with the Federation. We would be more than happy to continue a similar relationship that we had with The Federation with Cardassia. Cardassian Empire? The allowance to let us live how we please, while you get jurisdiction of the space immediately around the planet. We don't need much more than the surface. If Cardassia needs ores or minerals that we don't need you're welcome to them.

"All we want is to be left in peace, to live according to our principles and God." Joseph hoped that that was the least they could get, the rights to have the same sort of life they've always had, with just a different flag around them.
Last edited by Holy Lykos on Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:49 am

Bentus wrote:
Taji Klobak
Ajilon Prime

Taji bristled as she overheard the Ferengi’s off-handed comment, shooting the dishevelled creature a glare. Honour would’ve demanded that she confront him for the insult, to defeat him in combat for the slight against her kind. Clenching a fist, Taji turned her attention back to the barely-touched drink in front of her. She scowled at her own weakness, reduced to being unable even to defend her pride. The Ferengi were a foul race, greedy and dishonest with little thought for anything but profiting off backhanded deals. Even their warriors chose to engage in subterfuge and manipulation rather than the glory of combat – an apt representation of their whole species, Taji thought. Not that she’d ever interacted with a Ferengi beyond passing encounters at a Spaceport, not many chose to venture deep into Klingon space. Of course, why would she ever have wanted to meet with one to begin with?

Going to have to get used to it, you’re not in the Empire anymore.

The thought only darkened Taji’s mood, at least to a point where she was willing to stomach another gulp of the faux-liquor that had been delivered to her table. Not that it did her any good.

The Klingon shot another glance at the Ferengi, this time ignoring the Eliminator and focusing on his two companions: a pair of humans. Taji couldn’t help but feel a sense of curiosity towards their kind. She’d never managed to understand them, how they could be capable both of feats of honour and deceit seemingly at the toss of a hat. While the Ferengi may have been vulgar, they were simple beings driven by a desire for wealth and currency. Humans were another thing entirely.

When the Eliminator got up and left the table, Taji waited a few seconds before making her way over towards the pair. She tried to recall the information the bartender had given her after accepting the offer, the man having arranged a meeting seemingly in no time at all. One of the pair was a young woman, while the male seemed to share some of her facial features; clearly they both heralded from the same House.

“Hodge?” Taji stated bluntly, the humans still having their backs turned to her. She was a fairly imposing sight, standing over them looking noticeably out of place in her weathered, human-styled clothing. Assuming that the pair were her contacts for the job, the Klingon moved to take a seat in front of them, taking the Ferengi’s place. “I was told that you would were looking for assistance in acquiring supplies?”

Tananda Bay

Taken by surprise at Taji's sudden approach, both Pancras and April jumped in their seats, the taller April banging her knee into the underside of the booth's table. It had been one too many close encounters for the day, with the Ferengi's unexpected rescue from the Klingon mercenaries. And now here was another one!

But Taji's words sank in after a couple of beats, and April recovered. "Not us exactly - the whole city. I mean, it's for everyone in Fells Point. There's a crew coming in to help us, from a ship called Shadowdancer. If you go back to the Point, you could still make it fast enough to join them..."

No sooner had April finished speaking than the Klingon stood surprisingly fast and tried to make her way out of the bar, only to be held up in a traffic jam by the gaggle of Acamarians, who'd chosen that moment to get up and leave themselves. Shrugging at one another, the Hodges went the other way around the row of tables and left in a hurry, still somewhat intimidated. They'd mention it to the crew in passing, but nothing else.

'...from a ship called Shadowdancer'.

The recorder in the Ferengi's thick fingers clicked off, and he smiled.

Stormwrath wrote:
Messhall, Shadowdancer
Surface of Ajilon Prime

Hmmm, the Captain has made a few bits of information known about the shuttle, most notably the fact that it can't cloak and it has a limited amount of weapons and ordnance equipped on it. He may have omitted certain things such as the craft being flight-ready, but she'd probably get Suval to help her fix it up before the mission can begin. But despite the limitations of the craft, Allie didn't seem unfazed by it. "I don't need to hit them or hide from them," she replied. "I just only need to make them look the other way long enough for the cargo to be succesfully transported. Just blasters and some countermeasures will do," she added while glancing at Galena.

Allie's realm was in the heavens, and she was trained in its arts of combat. It shouldn't be a problem if Maquis engage her and send her into a dizzying dogfight—she got this covered, and the shuttle appeared to look sturdy enough to withstand some of her more daring maneuvers.

It appears Nathan was approving of her suggestion. Seeing that Banrel had toasted her, Allie couldn't help but return the favor. "Well you got your pilot right here," she smiled and lifted her mug.

Swith Witherward wrote:
Surface of Ajilon Prime
Shadowdancer's messhall

Banrel nodded at the data offered by Arelle. Things were going in their favor; Suval might give them better odds. A glance at his own PADD revealed another boon. The reply was brief even for Antig: In. The doctor smiled.

"We may have a solution for the shuttle as well, Captain." He traded his PADD for the coffee cup. "Antig, no surname. Former Starfleet Marine. He's dependable and, more importantly at the moment, he's in possession of a Klingon Toron class shuttle. I've worked with him before-" that was putting it mildly "-and can vouch for his skills and demeanor." Of course, the initial sight of him was off-putting. Antig's species seemed blessed by the business end of the Ugly Stick. "He has natural talents that might come in handy as well."

Shadowdancer's messhall

"The more, the merrier," Arelle commented, and then turned to Nathan. "Where do you want me?"

As Nathan had implied earlier, the hacker preferred the art of the bluff, or alternately acting her way through a rough patch, to the unpleasantries of particle-beam weaponry.

Soltok VI, 20 kilometers from Osterdaag

Tovteq grunted. Rounding up the survivors had taken a bit of time, and convincing them all to go back to following his lead, even more. The Maquis way won out, though, and their band had organized scouting teams. The Cardassians, it seemed, had beaten them to the closest settlement. A human one.

He picked at the edge of his beard. If he could get the Cardassians sufficiently riled up, the Maquis cell could probably sneak in and hole up...but that took transportation. Transportation they no longer had.

"Split up into four teams," he instructed gruffly. "Hit and run attacks until they're wiped out. Go!"

And so they melted away into the hills in four ragged columns, phasers swinging gently from belts or shouldered by slings.
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:34 am

Tiltjuice wrote:Soltok VI, 20 kilometers from Osterdaag

Tovteq grunted. Rounding up the survivors had taken a bit of time, and convincing them all to go back to following his lead, even more. The Maquis way won out, though, and their band had organized scouting teams. The Cardassians, it seemed, had beaten them to the closest settlement. A human one.

He picked at the edge of his beard. If he could get the Cardassians sufficiently riled up, the Maquis cell could probably sneak in and hole up...but that took transportation. Transportation they no longer had.

"Split up into four teams," he instructed gruffly. "Hit and run attacks until they're wiped out. Go!"

And so they melted away into the hills in four ragged columns, phasers swinging gently from belts or shouldered by slings.

Holy Lykos wrote:The mayor took the seat the Cardassian insisted on him taking. The alien was already acting like it was his planet, and ordering them around. It left an increasingly sour taste in Stoltzfus's mouth. He sent a quick and silent prayer to God on behalf of the colony and his own strength, closing his eyes while he thought.

He glanced back up when he'd thought of a good response, and smiled kindly. "I'm sorry, I'm not very familiar with your people so excuse any blunders I make." He gave a small nod while remaining in his seat. The middle aged man cleared his throat before continuing.

"While we do not have much of a choice in this matter, I would be remiss to not bring up that we are not part of the Federation. They ceded us control of the planet decades ago. Any treaty they may have made in regards to the Soltok system would not involve our planet, as control was not theirs to give.

"Of course we are happy to host any Cardassians who stop on the planet to refuel and resupply. That was our arrangement with the Federation. We would be more than happy to continue a similar relationship that we had with The Federation with Cardassia. Cardassian Empire? The allowance to let us live how we please, while you get jurisdiction of the space immediately around the planet. We don't need much more than the surface. If Cardassia needs ores or minerals that we don't need you're welcome to them.

"All we want is to be left in peace, to live according to our principles and God." Joseph hoped that that was the least they could get, the rights to have the same sort of life they've always had, with just a different flag around them.

Remec looked on with a pleased smile that no doubt made Joseph’s stomach acids lurch. The Cardassian said nothing for a long moment, preferring to let the portly man fidget in his seat while the Gul tapped his fingers. Was the human that ignorant? Or was he simply suicidal? How was this a negotiation? Remec mused it never was, but he anticipated some kind of rudimentary challenge against his authority. Instead, Stoltzfus was handing the village to the Cardassians and whatever requests they had would be arbitrarily overlooked. Worse, they could be dead.

Enough of this, Remec thought to himself. Leaning forward, the Gul reclaimed his datapad and spoke in low, dark tone. His eyes pierced Joseph’s weak defenses of appeasement, “Since you are no longer part of the Federation, you have done the Union a favor. Your independence is unrecognized as the system falls within our jurisdiction and your claimant is in violation of Cardassian law. Simply put, you and your people are trespassers. Compliance is preferable,” Remec’s words clearly implying danger, “You are to inform your people of this transition. I expect a complete listing of everyone in this settlement and other areas. My men will be securing the area and I expect modicum accommodations provided.”

It was a take over, simple as that and Remec’s threat hung in the air. He barely allowed a moment for Joseph to comprehend his statement before the Gul rose from his chair, tugging at his sharp angled uniform and gestured for at the door for the old man to open it.

“If you'll be so kind,” Remec said, his hideous smile returning, “I believe the news will be better received by you.”

The two exited, with Remec barely two feet behind, a looming dangerous figure that stirred reactions and soft whispers among the denizens. He gave a nod to Gisan, who moved off as he activated his wrist communicator and spoke in a hushed but firm tone, “Advance and secure.”
Tiltjuice wrote:Shadowdancer's Messhall

"The more, the merrier," Arelle commented, and then turned to Nathan. "Where do you want me?"

As Nathan had implied earlier, the hacker preferred the art of the bluff, or alternately acting her way through a rough patch, to the unpleasantries of particle-beam weaponry.

“A Toron class shuttle, that just might come in handy if he's willing to work for us. Tell this Antig I wanna meet him as soon as possible. We're likely make this easier than expected and then we can get on our way,” Nathan replied, a firm nod and expanding smile in prospect of an easy payout. It already was, but this one act of playing good samaritan was already becoming a cake walk.

“You'll stay here with me, Arelle. Gotta keep this ship in line,” Nathan grinned.

“This ship can hear you, y’know? Speaking of hearing. I, uh, welllll….” ‘Dancer trailed, making Nate frown as it wasn't her usual forthright attitude or antics for the dramatic. Instead she stayed silent.

“Well, what?” He demanded.

“I've received a transmission. You're not gonna like it, boss.”

“I can't not like what I don't know,” He huffed and shook his head, feeling a mite ridiculous for arguing with a computer in front of his crew.

“Not true! You wouldn't eat tube grubs and you don't even know what it looks like. Or gagh, or Deltans, but that's more on a sexu-”

“Out with it!”

“It's Dan. He's calling, wants to speak with you. I'm trying to trace the signal but he knows my blindspots.”

“...Oh,” All the bluster left Nathan and he was suddenly feeling very vulnerable and unsure. Hot damn, was he actually reacting this way after all this time? Where was the anger, the stubborn rage?

“Yeah… look, he's on channel. I'll hold it til you get on the bridge. Maybe someone here can trace the signal. No worries, snooping won't be happening.”

Nathan ruffled his hair, “Right. Yeah. Okay, yeah. I won't be long, get to work and all that.”

The captain shifted uncomfortably on the balls of his heels for a moment and needed to remind himself to take a deep breath. No one here knew the old crew and their most senior member currently, Arelle, knew more about Bella than she did about Dan, which still wasn't much to go by past the AI’s attitude and personality. “Someone get to engineering and try to trace the signal. If he's planetside, I wanna know: he's Maquis.”

Fvaarniimar
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fvaarniimar » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:38 pm

Messhall, Shadowdancer

It had started out as an apparent cough...before becoming a apparently severe cough, and then getting revealed as a full-blown guffaw which she'd tried to muffle with a sleeve.

Eyes watering and face matching her hair, Galena finally lifted her head.  "Unless we throw them straight at their sensors, my anti-personnel-mines won't even be an effective distraction.  They make a loud noise and cover people in gloopy paint, Arelle! They're there to alert us and keep intruders busy - they're less threatening than an underfed tribble!" I cannot believe...well, maybe it wasn't clear.   "Everyone, stepping on one is only a bad idea because they're single use - and I didn't replicate hundreds! - they cover the area in paint, and the stuff irritates eyes!  They are not going to implode Shadowdancer!  We could set a thousand off and - hey!  Big mess!  Although in space...

"If we're transporting into space, ordinary balloons would make better explosives than that!  In fact, filled with rust and ground aluminum and ignited - no, the balloon could melt - but a gas-filled, elastic sphere would explode.  The thermite reaction could provide a distraction, and aggregates of the...uh, sorry.  I can make you some actual explosives with those - the replicator can do metal, right?  How soon do we need them?  I made some extra mines, and if we really have to... If you triggered them and transported just before they popped, the mines might get the most fragile components.  The paint would probably harden...or vaporize?  There's a chance it could mark the transparent aluminum first."

"And as for your countermeasures, Arelle..."  Her smile was positively vulpine.  "How discreet do you want it, and how can you deliver it?  And I'll ask the Captain if there are any more modern explosives available?  I can do low tech, I'm used to being circumspect about it, but if we have options -" Although I don't think I'd be asked if he did.  And it would be concerning - why would a tiny independent vessel's captain...probably doesn't, anyway.
Come to the light side.  We have teamwork, waffles, popcorn, grape juice, and way too much ramen.

Unless one is a genealogist, therapist, geneticist, or FBI agent - who is acting within the scope of their job - to claim that anyone is wrong about their own identity is not merely absurd but also extremely rude.

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:17 pm

Well... That gambit had failed. Stoltzfus had hoped even that modicum of bluffing would potentially secure... something. But no. There was no negotiation. There was no preventing this. The few defenses the colonists would have were numbers and primitive tools like pitchforks. but if the Cardassians had good enough weapons, even what little the Cardassians had could use could massacre them. That was a simple fact of modern combat could far outstrip something that seemed so ancient it would almost be laughable.

And so Stoltzfus sighed and swallowed deeply. Indeed his stomach was churning. And indeed he feared for the future of his people. The Federation had left them alone for generations, but no more. Their only hope would be Hadassah getting the word out and helping the planet in some way or another. The Mayor was so glad at least one of them managed to get off world. Young Hadassah would be able to get help, eventually. Even if it took years, Stoltzfus trusted in God and Heaven that is loyal flock would be protected and vindicated in sticking to their beliefs.

(Likely Former) Mayor Joseph slowly stood up from his seat. He swallowed once more before looking up to the aliens, putting up the bravest face possible.

"Of course. I'll tell them. I'll get together what records we have, but we weren't much in practice of keeping tabs on other settlements. I hope that is not a bother." His voice was stiff, joyless. The voice of someone trying to maintain a brave composure against odds he knew he couldn't beat. But staying brave was all Joseph and his people would have left soon.

" Food won't be as... diverse as you likely are used to. We grow only a few things here. Now... if you excuse me, I'll go inform everyone of the... changes." The last word was practically choked out of his throat, with a brief grimace on his face before it went back to the neutral expression he was trying to hold.

The old man walked out in front of the Cardassian, stiff as a board, and glanced over the people assembled. Maybe a few dozen absent. He could explain that as a trading party sent to another city. Any more would be harder to explain, but at least they were safe for now.

"Everyone..." He started, slowly and carefully. "These... nice... Aliens are from the Cardassian Union. A recent treaty between the Federation and them handed over this solar system to them, our home included. Unlike the federation, they wish to... control more of what is within their borders. As such they are taking charge of running our colonies and planet too. I know this is not a very desired outcome, but they left us with little choice. We should treat them like guests, like any human who has visited prior. We have guest accommodations prepared on the the cliff-edge, near the waterfall." The last part was directed to the Cardassians of course.

"I implore people to keep trying to live with our old precepts and way of life the most they can. It will be hard to adjust, I know. But as I said earlier, its unlikely for there to be much of a choice on our side. Now... Feel free to resume your day everyone, I'll show the newcomers to their accommodations."

The mayor turned to Remec again, as the murmur from the crowd started up. Of course they'd start talking about it as soon as possible. But the edges of the crowd started to disperse, bit by bit. Hopefully the Cardassians were okay with that, and the Mayor hadn't screwed up in some way. He just wasn't sure what else to say about the situation. By God, he didn't believe he would be mayor for much longer anyway.
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:00 am

Arelle looked blank in the face of both Nathan's sudden perturbation and Galena's outburst.

"Oh - well...'Dancer, lock the doors to my quarters immediately, would you? I don't want the chameleons getting out. Anyway - Galena, don't worry about it, really. My idea of countermeasures is just a little bit different from yours. Circumspect is always a good start, but we can definitely go with bigger bangs if you can make them. As for me...I'd have to be on the other ship to really bring it down. Or somehow tapped into their systems. Shields have a way of frustrating ship-to-ship hacking..."

She huffed a sigh, apparently frustrated, and began pacing swiftly back and forth across the room, beginning her own expert's rant. "I suppose it would depend on the kind of ship we expected to try swatting us. A Fleeter - all the tech is Vulcan in origin, way back, anyway. Theirs is all straightforward countermeasures, it's just a matter of being fast enough on the draw with your own code, or just slapping in your own hardware...which means there'll be alarms aplenty to get past. Tricking your way in is the best approach. Less logical. Klingon engineering, built for endurance and quick repairs, but not much in the way of active computer defenses. Weakest on code manipulation. Cardassians like monolithic data centers, super-hardened on physical security and with multiple layers of encryption, so they have the toughest systems to crack. Romulans, actually, don't do that well. They're scheming until the cows come home, but they overbalance on trying to break into others' systems and don't have that much security beyond just hiding the data.

Long story short, I can't help much on this. Talk to Suval and Allie. I'll be in engineering."

TO BE CONTINUED AT A DATE THAT IS NOT NEW YEAR'S EVE...
...MANY APOLOGIES FOR TAKING THIS LONG >_>

The mention of Maquis spurred her into action. She'd hardly seen the Skipper so flustered; normally he was steady enough. It helped to keep a crew together...in any case, she hastened along the corridors, gnawing on the ends of her hair when she was in the turbolift and no one (except possibly 'Dancer) could see.

Down in engineering, the humming of the instruments was a familiar and calming sensation. She crossed to the touchpanel on the wall and zoned out. Squinting at the display, she thought for a second. If this Dan knew 'Dancer's blindspots, maybe a more indirect approach would be needed. She grinned wryly to herself for a moment, again where no one else could see. Most of her clients had appreciated the subtlety, anyway.

Turning to the next panel, she called up the library reference on the Ajilon system and Ajilon Prime itself and pulled together a list of known space stations and communities. There were quite a few.

"'Dancer, be a dear and - "

" - Calculate distances from where we are and match to Dan, yeah yeah, no need to even ask!" The data came back in a scrolling list of blue, ending in a blinking "NO MATCH".

Arelle nodded. "Skip," she called through the intercom, "he's on planet somewhere. Definitely not in space. Not sure exactly where, but signal strength puts him not too far away."
Last edited by Tiltjuice on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
mumblemumblemumble

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:19 am

En Route to Ajilon
Shuttle jo aka The Wager

Space certainly was... Quiet. For someone used to a terrestrial existence, the strange sounds of a space ship almost unsettled her. Soft tones and metalic noises of her shoes against the ground. Hadassah paused, crouching down and squatting to tap against the surface she was standing on with her knuckles. No... Not Ground. Floor. Metal floors made of materials that she was starting to realize far outstripped her homeworld's furthest extent of technology, even in those more liberal settlements on the planet. So far advanced that she couldn't imagine it used many things she thought 'normal' materials used for construction. What metals? What alloys? Just what was the rest of the technology they had like? She had no idea.

But she did silently nod in response to the plan proposed by Antig, finding it a good one. Then, realizing he might actually be not be looking towards her, "That sounds wise, heading to your friend as soon as possible. I do not want to be any more of a bother than I likely have been, asking to come along."

After a short look back at her homeworld, wondering just what was transpiring down there. Had everyone gotten to safety? She sincerely hoped so. Kindly old mayor Stoltzfus wouldn't be able to manage against such a threat as the ones Antig told her, that was plainly obvious. There simply was nothing he could do. But soon the exterior universe melted away and seemed to stretch from her perspective. The girl stumbled back from what she thought was a window and stood with mouth agape. Was... was this how they traversed the gulfs between worlds? It was almost too much for someone who had no idea of even the concepts of warp speed and interstellar travel. At least not properly.

But they were on their way to a planet called Ajilon. Away from Home. Into a galaxy that was already proving dangerous to everything she cared about. Oh what an adventure this was... Hadassah would eventually accepted the ship's logs offered to her, to read over just what this journey might be like. Boring, was the verdict. The day she was already having had proven to her that space was nothing like she imagined. It was cold, dark and uncaring. Dangerous.

But not entirely. Antig had proven to be oh so kind, and willing to put up with a girl he probably thought was ridiculously primitive and naive. Hadassah smiled and let out a nervous sigh. Maybe things could turn out okay, eventually. At least she so hoped.

And eventually, the pair in the shuttle reached the world of Ajilon. Hadassah had finally had something to eat, some of the soup offered to hear earlier, and was quite eager to see what this new world looked like.

It couldn't have been more the opposite of her homeworld. The rather lush world of Soltok VI was almost a paradise compared to this brown mudball of a world. While they were still heading in for landing, it was obvious to Hadassah that the world was a much harsher one. Rocky, rather barren, and with very little water. But it did seem to have at least a proper atmosphere from what she could tell, with the clouds floating far above the surface.

"...Are all worlds this... Barren?" She asked softly, glancing up at the alien. His strange look was starting to grow on Hadassah. While it wasn't the most handsome face, it certainly wasn't as horrible as she expected some aliens to look. "Unless I'm missing something... Am I?"
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:21 am

Mincaldenteans wrote:
Tiltjuice wrote:Soltok VI, 20 kilometers from Osterdaag

Tovteq grunted. Rounding up the survivors had taken a bit of time, and convincing them all to go back to following his lead, even more. The way won out, though, and their band had organized scouting teams. The Cardassians, it seemed, had beaten them to the closest settlement. A human one.

Holy Lykos wrote:The mayor took the seat the Cardassian insisted on him taking. The alien was already acting like it was his planet, and ordering them around. It left an increasingly sour taste in Stoltzfus's mouth. He sent a quick and silent prayer to God on behalf of the colony and his own strength, closing his eyes while he thought.

Remec looked on with a pleased smile that no doubt made Joseph’s stomach acids lurch. The Cardassian said nothing for a long moment, preferring to let the portly man fidget in his seat while the Gul tapped his fingers. Was the human that ignorant? Or was he simply suicidal? How was this a negotiation? Remec mused it never was, but he anticipated some kind of rudimentary challenge against his authority. Instead, Stoltzfus was handing the village to the Cardassians and whatever requests they had would be arbitrarily overlooked. Worse, they could be dead.

Enough of this, Remec thought to himself. Leaning forward, the Gul reclaimed his datapad and spoke in low, dark tone. His eyes pierced Joseph’s weak defenses of appeasement, “Since you are no longer part of the Federation, you have done the Union a favor. Your independence is unrecognized as the system falls within our jurisdiction and your claimant is in violation of Cardassian law. Simply put, you and your people are trespassers. Compliance is preferable,” Remec’s words clearly implying danger, “You are to inform your people of this transition. I expect a complete listing of everyone in this settlement and other areas. My men will be securing the area and I expect modicum accommodations provided.”

It was a take over, simple as that and Remec’s threat hung in the air. He barely allowed a moment for Joseph to comprehend his statement before the Gul rose from his chair, tugging at his sharp angled uniform and gestured for at the door for the old man to open it.

“If you'll be so kind,” Remec said, his hideous smile returning, “I believe the news will be better received by you.”

The two exited, with Remec barely two feet behind, a looming dangerous figure that stirred reactions and soft whispers among the denizens. He gave a nod to Gisan, who moved off as he activated his wrist communicator and spoke in a hushed but firm tone, “Advance and secure.”

Holy Lykos wrote:Well... That gambit had failed. Stoltzfus had hoped even that modicum of bluffing would potentially secure... something. But no. There was no negotiation. There was no preventing this. The few defenses the colonists would have were numbers and primitive tools like pitchforks. but if the Cardassians had good enough weapons, even what little the Cardassians had could use could massacre them. That was a simple fact of modern combat could far outstrip something that seemed so ancient it would almost be laughable.

And so Stoltzfus sighed and swallowed deeply. Indeed his stomach was churning. And indeed he feared for the future of his people. The Federation had left them alone for generations, but no more. Their only hope would be Hadassah getting the word out and helping the planet in some way or another. The Mayor was so glad at least one of them managed to get off world. Young Hadassah would be able to get help, eventually. Even if it took years, Stoltzfus trusted in God and Heaven that is loyal flock would be protected and vindicated in sticking to their beliefs.

(Likely Former) Mayor Joseph slowly stood up from his seat. He swallowed once more before looking up to the aliens, putting up the bravest face possible.

"Of course. I'll tell them. I'll get together what records we have, but we weren't much in practice of keeping tabs on other settlements. I hope that is not a bother." His voice was stiff, joyless. The voice of someone trying to maintain a brave composure against odds he knew he couldn't beat. But staying brave was all Joseph and his people would have left soon.

" Food won't be as... diverse as you likely are used to. We grow only a few things here. Now... if you excuse me, I'll go inform everyone of the... changes." The last word was practically choked out of his throat, with a brief grimace on his face before it went back to the neutral expression he was trying to hold.

The old man walked out in front of the Cardassian, stiff as a board, and glanced over the people assembled. Maybe a few dozen absent. He could explain that as a trading party sent to another city. Any more would be harder to explain, but at least they were safe for now.

"Everyone..." He started, slowly and carefully. "These... nice... Aliens are from the Cardassian Union. A recent treaty between the Federation and them handed over this solar system to them, our home included. Unlike the federation, they wish to... control more of what is within their borders. As such they are taking charge of running our colonies and planet too. I know this is not a very desired outcome, but they left us with little choice. We should treat them like guests, like any human who has visited prior. We have guest accommodations prepared on the the cliff-edge, near the waterfall." The last part was directed to the Cardassians of course.

"I implore people to keep trying to live with our old precepts and way of life the most they can. It will be hard to adjust, I know. But as I said earlier, its unlikely for there to be much of a choice on our side. Now... Feel free to resume your day everyone, I'll show the newcomers to their accommodations."

The mayor turned to Remec again, as the murmur from the crowd started up. Of course they'd start talking about it as soon as possible. But the edges of the crowd started to disperse, bit by bit. Hopefully the Cardassians were okay with that, and the Mayor hadn't screwed up in some way. He just wasn't sure what else to say about the situation. By God, he didn't believe he would be mayor for much longer anyway.

The Maquis lurking in the hills around Osterdaag had no way of knowing that they were probably about to complicate Joseph’s life a bit more. Though if they had known, they would have done their best to just as quickly uncomplicate it by wiping out the Cardassians. Lights flashed back and forth as the four cells signaled to each other.

Remec’s sweep team took cover as phaser beams began flying. Down below, the Gul whirled on the Mayor, fixing him with a close scrutiny. Something in Stoltzfus’ bearing tipped his judgment toward deciding the Mayor hadn’t had anything to do with this. Still, it never hurt to reinforce the Union’s newly established rule.

“Glinn! Order a detachment to escort our latest citizens to safety! The rest of them, form up and we will snuff out these Maquis bandits in the hills!”

Joseph froze stock still as the phasers zapped and seemed to come from all over. He had no idea what was even going on but felt it was dangerous to the extreme. The mayor stood frozen, as his people started scattering to return to their homes. Many were shouting and screaming, running for any sort of shelter. They had no idea what was going on, their lack of familiarity with violence was obvious.

The phaser fire and shouting startled a flock of local avians into flight, squawking. “Maquis? What in God’s name are those?!” The mayor shouted, glancing around at his panicking people “Everyone! Get to safety!”

“They are nothing more than traitors to their own kind,” Remec growled as he grabbed Joseph by his arm and dragged him back into the building. He signaled Gisan for his men to secure the compound, kicking the door open and throwing the portly old fart in before the Maquis took a potshot at the only ‘leader’ this backward community had.

As the man fell to the floor, Remec shut the doors, his angry state was giving way to other reasons as to why the Maquis were now showing. “Did you have contact with these miscreants? How many of them are there?! When did they arrive?! You’ve been planning this!”

Remec didn’t wait for any response, his boot against the man’s ribs were answer enough.

“All this time,” The Gul murmured to himself after the volley of brutal kicks had sent Joseph huddling against a pillar, “You’ve been talking me down, letting my guard slip while pretending you don’t know who the Maquis are; only to have them shoot at us now. You humans, full of deceit and lies, you all deserve a swift end.”

The familiar sound of Cardassian disruptor fire began flaring out as Remec’s men took to securing the colony and began shooting at any area they thought were Maquis locations, hidden as they may be. Remec slapped his communicator, “Gisan, round up ten of the colonists, get them talking. I want to know how many Maquis these scum are harboring. Use whatever means necessary.”
mumblemumblemumble

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:57 pm

Holy Lykos wrote:En Route to Ajilon
Shuttle jo aka The Wager

Space certainly was... Quiet. For someone used to a terrestrial existence, the strange sounds of a space ship almost unsettled her. Soft tones and metalic noises of her shoes against the ground. Hadassah paused, crouching down and squatting to tap against the surface she was standing on with her knuckles. No... Not Ground. Floor. Metal floors made of materials that she was starting to realize far outstripped her homeworld's furthest extent of technology, even in those more liberal settlements on the planet. So far advanced that she couldn't imagine it used many things she thought 'normal' materials used for construction. What metals? What alloys? Just what was the rest of the technology they had like? She had no idea.

But she did silently nod in response to the plan proposed by Antig, finding it a good one. Then, realizing he might actually be not be looking towards her, "That sounds wise, heading to your friend as soon as possible. I do not want to be any more of a bother than I likely have been, asking to come along."

After a short look back at her homeworld, wondering just what was transpiring down there. Had everyone gotten to safety? She sincerely hoped so. Kindly old mayor Stoltzfus wouldn't be able to manage against such a threat as the ones Antig told her, that was plainly obvious. There simply was nothing he could do. But soon the exterior universe melted away and seemed to stretch from her perspective. The girl stumbled back from what she thought was a window and stood with mouth agape. Was... was this how they traversed the gulfs between worlds? It was almost too much for someone who had no idea of even the concepts of warp speed and interstellar travel. At least not properly.

But they were on their way to a planet called Ajilon. Away from Home. Into a galaxy that was already proving dangerous to everything she cared about. Oh what an adventure this was... Hadassah would eventually accepted the ship's logs offered to her, to read over just what this journey might be like. Boring, was the verdict. The day she was already having had proven to her that space was nothing like she imagined. It was cold, dark and uncaring. Dangerous.

But not entirely. Antig had proven to be oh so kind, and willing to put up with a girl he probably thought was ridiculously primitive and naive. Hadassah smiled and let out a nervous sigh. Maybe things could turn out okay, eventually. At least she so hoped.

And eventually, the pair in the shuttle reached the world of Ajilon. Hadassah had finally had something to eat, some of the soup offered to hear earlier, and was quite eager to see what this new world looked like.

It couldn't have been more the opposite of her homeworld. The rather lush world of Soltok VI was almost a paradise compared to this brown mudball of a world. While they were still heading in for landing, it was obvious to Hadassah that the world was a much harsher one. Rocky, rather barren, and with very little water. But it did seem to have at least a proper atmosphere from what she could tell, with the clouds floating far above the surface.

"...Are all worlds this... Barren?" She asked softly, glancing up at the alien. His strange look was starting to grow on Hadassah. While it wasn't the most handsome face, it certainly wasn't as horrible as she expected some aliens to look. "Unless I'm missing something... Am I?"

It was rather doubtful Ajilon had people like the Ferengi down on the surface.

"Are you tired of depending on those Federation supplies? Tired of that tasteless replicated food? Feeling sluggish? Well, your friend Muxa has the solution. Here in my bottles of 'Muxa Brand Caloric Energy Juice'. I tell you folks, one bottle of MBCEJ, and you'll feel strong enough to pull the ears off a Targ! I myself had a bottle this morning, and I feel like I have the strength of 10 men! Plus a Klingon!"

He motioned to a heavy steel rod sitting on the ground beside him.

"You there, big sir! Do kindly try and lift this hunk of metal here. I bet you a free bottle you can't do it."

The man did exactly as asked, trying and failing to even budge it.

"Don't feel bad, sir! No one could lift that. Not without..."

No one saw him slip something out of his sleeves and onto his palms.

"A bottle of MBCEJ. Not only is it delicious, coming in a variety of delectable flavors, it works."

He easily picked up the rod, lifting it above his head like it weighed nothing.

"So, who wants to make a deal? I take barters, just so you know. I know you Federation types and you're no-money thing. Limited time offer, folks! You best hurry!"

The gathered crowd lined up to get themselves some, Muxa tossing the bar back on the ground.

Suckers.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:01 pm

“Skip, he’s on the planet somewhere. Definitely not in space. Not sure exactly where, but signal strength puts him not too far away.”

Nathan grumbled under his breath and ran a free hand through his hair and down his face. The intercom clicked off before Arelle could hear him, “Why the fuck am I so nervous?”

“Maybe,” ‘Dancer supplied, almost too gleefully, “Because that’s your boy and he knows how to get under your skin. And because you kicked him and Bella off. And…”

“Weren’t you on my side just a second ago?” Nathan cursed under his breath, entering an empty bridge and taking an auxiliary console with a sizeable screen.

“I am, still. But that doesn’t mean I don’t care for them. Or you, for that matter. Fuck if I know why, maybe you bastards programmed that into me. Anyway, I’m still working with Arelle to triangulate his exact position.”

Tapping a few buttons, Nathan quickly grazed through the report and frowned, “You said he was close by, how hard could it be?”

“Cause he’s evaded my usual security lockouts, since you know, he was a crewmember and not just any crewmember at that. And Arelle’s new programs have made it so we could get this far or I’d be telling you otherwise. Also, you’re stalling and he’s still on hold.”

“For fuck sakes,” Nathan griped, cutting ‘Dancer off with the terminate button (not that it ever worked), and redirected the channel to his station. He hesitated for a moment, wondering if he should do his own trace, maybe get a read on the signal to match it with other comm frequencies. Hell, if he really wanted to, he could get ‘Fleet on it, raise the whole damn Maquis sign and have some uppity Captain tear apart this region… as soon as they assigned a Fleet vessel here, that is. As Patrick mentioned, Starfleet didn’t seem to care much about the fringe areas.

Routing the channel, Dan’s image came to life, the man himself was looking down showing a mop of his dark sandy blonde before looking up. Nathan noticed a second figure standing far away with his arms crossed, a pale looking guy that either never saw the light of day or Alpha Centauri-born.

“I hear you’re in the neighborhood,” Nathan said simply, deciding to forgo the pleasantries.

“Hi to you, too,” Dan smirked. A smile formed, a familiar one, but didn’t reach its usual warmth and sincerity, “And likewise. A few of locals were talking about a merchant vessel coming in. Lo and behold. It’s good to see you.”

A faint scoff from a distance got Nathan’s attention as his eyes wandered behind Dan’s head. He perked an eyebrow slightly and then retrained his eyes on Dan. A few questions came to mind, but it had nothing to do with the here and now. Rather, his eyes narrowed at Dan, “Can’t say the same,” he replied as he sat back and crossed his arms, “What do you want, Dan?”

His smile reached to that familiar level then, but it was sympathetic, maybe somber. “Look, I know you may be helping the colonists beyond the usual scope. I’m here to offer you a job. A lucrative one, if you accept.”

“Work for the Maquis, you're kidding? They’re robbing for Fed citizen, how the hell do you expect me to turn from these colonists? You doing the dirty work, Dan? Is that it?” He sat up then, leaning against the console to get a good read of the man. "Shit, you're not kidding."

It was Dan’s turn to frown as he stayed silent for a second, the pair of brown-greens were turning a little cold as he didn’t appreciate the accusation but let slip anyway, “We haven’t hurt anyone.”

“Starving farmers would say otherwise. Go pick on the Cardassians like you were so gun-ho to do,” the Captain bit back, gritting his jaw in attempt to keep his cool, “Go fight the good fight; you know there’s nothing quite heroic as someone off in the blaze of glory. As I remember, you just end up in a million pieces, or as the Cardassians would have it, atomized.”

“What do you know about the fight? You avoided it even after Setlik, after Dorvan, hell I pleaded with you to come with us. With Bella and ‘Dancer’s capabilities…”

“Don’t bring her into this,” Nathan hissed. Dan pursed his lips, sitting back, although he looked slightly pleased with himself. Nathan didn't like that one bit. Of course he wants you upset, he reminded himself and took a deep breath, “Where is she, anyway?”

Dan shrugged, “Last I heard, still on Rahm Izad. Says she ran into you and you fucked her over. She’s trying to get out of there.”

“Didn’t fuck her over as much as I should have. It’s nice to know you two remained in contact.”

A mirthless laugh escaped Dan, “We ain’t fucking, not that that’s any of your business. But we’re losing track here, I came to offer you a job. It’s a simple recon mission. You get fuel to go wherever you like…”

“You mean get the fuck of your way and maybe on the other end of the DMZ?”

“Whatever you think. It'll last you rather than skimming the borders.”

“You sure you can pay me?” Nathan said with a smirk of his own, “Farmers here are getting jipped from what little they have and you got supplies to spare?”

“Look, Nathan, it’s a mission of mercy, alright? You get the fuel to do whatever the hell you want, sell the payload for all I care, but I need ‘Dancer’s processing abilities to help locate some friends. In return,” Dan interrupted before Nathan could open his mouth, “I’ll stop the raids.”

“For now, you mean.”

“No, he raids will stop permanently. As a bonus, I’ll come on board. If I renege on my deal, you can turn me over to ‘Fleet.”

“No fucking deal!” Came a yell from behind, this from the Alpha Centurian.

Nathan stared at him for a long while. Well, it felt like a while, anyway. Too easy, something was up, the Captain knew as much. He could’ve gone himself, why Dancer and why him?

“Deal,” Nathan said coolly, “Payment up front. You’ll understand if I don’t trust the word of the Maquis. Bring the supply here, since you managed to trace me,” he smiled pleasantly at that, “The raids stop and I suppose I’ll expect you by... tomorrow?”

“This evening, actually. I’d like to set off as soon as possible.”

Nathan was going to say something more, he felt like he should have. Instead, he ended the transmission and activated the intercom, paging Arelle, “I hope you got a trace on him. I need to talk to Hodges and Galena.”

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:20 pm

San Francisco, Earth

The Fleet Yards' planetside offices were generally a quietly intense place. The complex buzzed, but most of the activity was designing and redesigning ships, and so it all took place behind closed doors, one room to a team or a senior engineer. Today was no exception. Not until the dim blue lights brightened and fifty sparkling thingies (blame Min) materialized, dotting all four walls on both floors. The matter streams resolved into a swarm of yellow-clad Starfleet Security jobbers, who immediately began sweeping through the offices, opening doors to check faces against PADD displays, and provoking protests from the staff inside:

"Hey, you can't just..."

"Please wait outside."

"We're in the middle of - Hey!"

On the second floor, the Starfleet captain who had arranged a day trip for an Academy class heard the protests and quietly excused himself from the yard staff's seminar. As he closed the door and turned around, he was met by a junior lieutenant and an ensign, who came to a sudden stop, PADDs dangling limply in surprise.

"Excuse me, Captain...!" the first sputtered. The Vulcan captain regarded them almost curiously. Pieces came together in his head until -

"Ensign, guard this door. Whichever else of your colleagues attempts to enter, you are to inform him that whomever your colleagues are seeking is not inside. Lieutenant, you are to pull up Book 19, Section 433, Paragraph 12 of the Federation Regulations and peruse it until you are satisfied that Federation Security officers are not usually allowed to issue instructions to Starfleet Security, not being in the same chain of command. You will then pass the PADD to the ensign for him to do the same."

Two abashed acknowledgements later, the Vulcan left in search of the ranking officer. It didn't take him long, as there was a lot of Federation Security Colonel Curtis Abrams for the eye to meet; and in any case he was surrounded by a small gaggle of loudly protesting shipyard managers. A few of his borrowed Starfleet Security people milled nearby, watching the fracas, until they noticed the Vulcan captain and stood to attention. The rest, seemed to be occupied with pulling apart one office in particular.

"Colonel Abrams, I am Captain Telik. Could you explain the purpose of your visit here with a group of Starfleet Security personnel?"

The shouting managers stilled, one jerking in surprise, as Telik's voice cut through the hubbub. The surprised one - the head administrator - tried to speak, but Telik held up a hand. "Please. We would all like to resolve this matter in an orderly manner. Colonel Abrams?"

Telik's message didn't go unnoticed by Abrams, but he ignored it. The portly Fed Sec man was covered, and he knew it - ironically, by his quarry's own cover. He held up a PADD with a flourish; on it was Arelle's picture. "This is Arelle Delatorre, who once upon a time worked here under a false identity. In that office over there, in fact. I thought it best that I coordinate with Starfleet Security on this, since the Fleet Yards are naturally of interest to Starfleet, and Admiral Jellico agreed. And so here I am."

Telik paused. "I see. And of course the admiral was courteous enough to provide you with a detachment....I suspect that he would have preferred it if advance notice had been given to the managers here, since it appears Ms. Delatorre is not present. As a Starfleet officer, I will have to file a report on this."

Abrams didn't waste a moment, merely nodding curtly before making his way into the office to begin signing all the evidence tags.

Shadowdancer
Arelle's quarters

The only constantly running program on the desktop computer beeped once. An alert window blossomed into view and locked in place in the middle of the screen.

CAUTION!
DATASTORE EARTH 002
REASON: DISCONNECT
CONTENT REMINDER: BIOGRAPHICAL
IMPACT: MINIMAL

San Francisco Fleet Yards offices

Colonel Abrams regained control of himself, as Captain Telik frowned disapprovingly at him. The two halves of the broken desk plaque that once read "Lt. Commander Sian S. Trent" twinkled up at him, as if in mockery.

"Get everything to the forensics teams. Hopefully something can be recovered from - here," Abrams stopped himself from uttering 'this mess'.

"Got him! Half an hour southeast of here. In the middle of some hills. And got Hodges to come on over. He said it'd be about a half hour, too. Are we waiting for Hodges or giving Dan a surprise?"
Last edited by Tiltjuice on Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mumblemumblemumble

Fvaarniimar
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fvaarniimar » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:48 am

All over the Place, Shadowdancer

...hydrogen makes simplest "bomb", with low melting point liquid possible for splattering...  Two-stage good, to potentially take out the shield long enough... "Gel bead" delivery shell optimal, to spread goo far and wide... Galena scowled, clenching her fists.  "But I don't have time!  I can't even - Grant thermite isn't avail - probably - not something to use casually - normal thermite needs too much heat and I don't have - copper!  It's an explosive anyway!  Hey, 'Dancer!  Are aluminum and copper oxide available in powder form?  The black kind is best -"

"Well, they do exist in powdered form, d -" 

"We don't have time for this!"

"And we had time to watch you stare at a wall coming up with elaborate plans and getting upset?  Give me a smile...no, a real one.  Exploosioons - oh, yes, that did it!"  The woman flushed.  "Anyway, there's some in the cargo area, although rather scattered...Dare I suggest infernite and cabrodine?"

"Goo - HOW scattered?"

"Oh, there's packages in a few places, and more anywhere copper corroded or -"

"Please note the spots with small amounts for later, and give me, oh, the two biggest areas and the spots for inf - oh!  It won't damage but visi - I need anything balloon-like!"

"I expect you'll be wanting actual balloons, then," snarked the AI.  "There's quite a few - just to your right.  That box there."  Galena halted what had been a mad dash for the nearest CuO2 to yank -

"Not that one!"

- the correct box, eventually.  Gathering the explosive components, the woman continued to think aloud.

"...and something to heat it slowly, ideally can float in the middle until needed - of course!  The ice forming will contain - insulated balloons, middle holds - can't now.  Focus! Hydrogen - usable as-is in shell, or mixed with air.   Thermite poured in mines - or separate? - with a - Dancer, is anhydrous calcium carbonate av - wait, you mentioned cabrodine and -"

"Infernite, yeees. Grab those quickly - the captain wants to see you. I'll spotlight them."

"In person?" Cursing ensued. "Not much time anyway - tell him that I'll be there shortly -"

Rounding a corner with a box of party supplies and explosive components, Galena puffed out her thoughts. "...inside - larger balloon or - 'mine', and filled - with," mumble mumble, "Barrier, but - will it - oh yes! And the cop -

"Oh - HiCaptainNathan - sorry - working on it!  Where's the hydrogen?  Or we could use magnetically - is antimatter even -"  A cough.  "I apologize, that wasn't professional.  Hydrogen gas would be helpful, Captain.  So would microwave pulse detonators, if we can spare any, and tiny quantities of antimatter and matter separated magnetically could be extremely distracting if the transporter works on antimatter.  I am working on quickly modifying my 'mines', but they were built as small scale distractions and will be much less effective if cold."
Come to the light side.  We have teamwork, waffles, popcorn, grape juice, and way too much ramen.

Unless one is a genealogist, therapist, geneticist, or FBI agent - who is acting within the scope of their job - to claim that anyone is wrong about their own identity is not merely absurd but also extremely rude.

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:09 pm

Somewhere on Ajillon

Upon landing, Antig and Hadassah had left his ship to go look for this friend of his. Exactly where, Hadassah had no idea. But Antig seemed to have a handle on things so she was simply following him around. The girl looked massively out of place, wearing clothing with a practically ancient styling to it by most reckonings, and looking around as if everything was new and amazing. Which, to her, it was! She couldn't have fathomed practically any of the technology she was witness to now, from the space ships to the basic, modern fixtures in life that most people might take for granted. But for Hadassah it was all amazing.

Antig already had to ask her to stop asking "What's that?" every few seconds. She'd realized a bit after that it was making them stick out even more. Probably good to wait until not around those who might take advantage of her naivete.

Though one alien had caught her eye, one with strange head shape and sharp teeth, who seemed to be selling... some kind of drink, to a myriad of people. What an odd creature. It looked close to human, but at the same time was obviously not. Hadassah stopped, watching him from a distance. Whatever the drink was, she already knew she likely was not interested. But she couldn't help but stare at the alien, wondering what it might be called.

And who said space was boring? It was the other people, aliens and humans, that certainly would make it interesting to explore for her. Maybe since Antig was so familiar with all these beings, it just seemed like another day to him. Well except for the fact he now had an naive girl from a backwater world following him around. For Hadassah, practically every day would have new things to learn and find, for who knew how long.
Last edited by Holy Lykos on Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:46 am

Holy Lykos wrote:Somewhere on Ajillon

Upon landing, Antig and Hadassah had left his ship to go look for this friend of his. Exactly where, Hadassah had no idea. But Antig seemed to have a handle on things so she was simply following him around. The girl looked massively out of place, wearing clothing with a practically ancient styling to it by most reckonings, and looking around as if everything was new and amazing. Which, to her, it was! She couldn't have fathomed practically any of the technology she was witness to now, from the space ships to the basic, modern fixtures in life that most people might take for granted. But for Hadassah it was all amazing.

Antig already had to ask her to stop asking "What's that?" every few seconds. She'd realized a bit after that it was making them stick out even more. Probably good to wait until not around those who might take advantage of her naivete.

Though one alien had caught her eye, one with strange head shape and sharp teeth, who seemed to be selling... some kind of drink, to a myriad of people. What an odd creature. It looked close to human, but at the same time was obviously not. Hadassah stopped, watching him from a distance. Whatever the drink was, she already knew she likely was not interested. But she couldn't help but stare at the alien, wondering what it might be called.

And who said space was boring? It was the other people, aliens and humans, that certainly would make it interesting to explore for her. Maybe since Antig was so familiar with all these beings, it just seemed like another day to him. Well except for the fact he now had an naive girl from a backwater world following him around. For Hadassah, practically every day would have new things to learn and find, for who knew how long.

"No need to shove now. Plenty for everyone."

Rule Of Acquisition 239: Never be afraid to mislabel a product. By the time they realize It's just expired Slug-O-Cola, I'll be long gone. With every red cent they have and some valuables to hock.

Glancing up from the crowd, he spied some girl gawking at him from a distance.

Ugh. I know Hew-Mon women aren't lookers, but that's just overkill. And what is she staring at? Acts like she's never seen a Ferengi before...wait...what if she hasn't? Hello, new mark.

"Thank you, you've been a lovely crowd. But I must see to other business."

He rolled his sleeve up and pressed a button.

"Ta-ta."

He vanished from his ramshackle stage, along with all the money and valuable he had swindled...and appeared next to Hadassah a few seconds later.

"Aren't site-to-site transporters marvelous little inventions? Oh my, it must be on the fritz. I must be in paradise instead of my ship, cause there's no beautiful female there. Well, a happy accident we'll call it. I am Muxa, free-wheeling vagabond of the stars. And who are you, young lady?"
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:38 am

And like that, the strange alien salesman seemed to have vanished from the stage only to...

Ameriganastan wrote:"Aren't site-to-site transporters marvelous little inventions? Oh my, it must be on the fritz. I must be in paradise instead of my ship, cause there's no beautiful female there. Well, a happy accident we'll call it. I am Muxa, free-wheeling vagabond of the stars. And who are you, young lady?"

Hadassah jumped in surprise, holding a hand over her heart and taking some deep breaths to calm herself. "My name? I am Hadassah Hochstetler. Its pleasant to meet you... Muxa? Am I saying that right?" The girl asked, looking over the Ferengi now that he was up close. Definitely alien. Sharp teeth, that strange head shape... Aside from that remarkably similar to human. Her reckoning had always imagined more alien aliens, but this was definitely not a human.

"I suppose... I'd say I'm a refugee, if that's the right word. I was apprenticed to the town doctor back home though. This is my first time off world, though. My people preferred staying home to being starborne like most humans." She fiddled idly with a bit of her hair, which was increasingly in disarray due to a lack of proper brush or anything. "Though I always did want to see different parts of the galaxy..."
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:02 pm

collab by civet & penguin

The Skipper was probably busy talking to Galena, so Arelle pinged Allie instead.

“Time to get your feet wet, flygirl. Get Suval and the others and have ‘em move to one of the shuttles. Hodges should be arriving soon and we’ll leave after Skip talks to him.”

---

“Antimatter, we’ll have plenty of,” Nathan replied with a small smile, although his eyes betrayed his actual feeling, somewhere between weirded out and concern for Galena’s mumbling. Rambling, more like. He wondered if the middle aged woman was all there and now wasn’t the time to be harboring unstables.

“Anyway,” Nathan continued, taking the box from her arms and gestured for her to follow, “I need you to do something for me…”

---

A few minutes later, Nathan and Galena would arrive in the shuttlebay. The old Klingon hopper sat with a faint buzz, its prestart sequence running. The shuttle was tough, but it had its fair share of problems that Nathan hadn’t gotten around to fixing. Maybe one of the crew would, who knows. Hodges had come aboard only ten minutes prior and with the assembled crew gathered in the shuttlecraft, Nathan began without the usual pleasantries.

“Dan’s going to be here in the evening with our payment of antimatter. Hodges, the raids will stop, but I’m not putting my eggs in one basket with Dan’s promise. Meet your new team to see that it stops.

“Suval, since you’re former ‘Fleeter, you’re going to help restore the colony’s sensor grid and communications, and work with Galena on the mines. Allie here will be piloting, mainly, but she'll do topographic and reconnaissance sweeps and you’re going to need her to lay the mines down without setting it off. Last but not least is Galena: our resident bomb expert of a sort and your ticket to safer routes.”

Nathan looked at Galena then, the box he had kindly taken off her hands prior were now packed in medium sized crates stuffed with whatever she needed initially. The colony would have to provide whatever else was missing. “Galena’s going to be instrumental with your success, we’ll hand over some of the antimatter so you get those mines armed. Don’t set them off to kill the Maquis," Nathan reminded Galena with a stern look, "just a big enough boom to scare them away.”

Arelle cast an eye over the hopper. None of them really used it much before now, relying instead on the transporters. Without a pilot, she hadn’t known what to fix; that was up to Allie. She braced herself on the bulkhead, hands in pockets.

“Shuttle here has a laundry list of issues, but she’s got sturdy shields and the inertial dampeners still function. Engines are a bit questionable. Arelle, if you could help Allie with that, we’ll need the shuttle ready by the evening, cut corners where you can."

Finally facing Hodges, “You wanted help, here it is. They’re going to be relying on you for everything else. Give them the lay of the land and whatever you can provide to assist. The rest of us have another job to take.”

Patrick Hodges nodded, and waved Allie, Suval and Galena into a loose circle. “There’s a place you can come in after you get the shipment. It shouldn’t take much effort. The Feds store things in orbit and beam it down to warehouses here after they’ve checked things through, so there’s no chance for people to take a little off the top while the cargo is being shipped out here to Ajilon. Either you try to get into the warehouse, or divert the transporter beam and sneak it out that way. If you try the diversion, do it during peak traffic hours. That’s early morning and right after lunch. Once you’ve got it, come back down here and my people will have a cave ready for you to fly into. Just let us know what you’re doing and when so we’re ready.”

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:41 pm

Holy Lykos wrote:Hadassah jumped in surprise, holding a hand over her heart and taking some deep breaths to calm herself. "My name? I am Hadassah Hochstetler. Its pleasant to meet you... Muxa? Am I saying that right?" The girl asked, looking over the Ferengi now that he was up close. Definitely alien. Sharp teeth, that strange head shape... Aside from that remarkably similar to human. Her reckoning had always imagined more alien aliens, but this was definitely not a human.

"I suppose... I'd say I'm a refugee, if that's the right word. I was apprenticed to the town doctor back home though. This is my first time off world, though. My people preferred staying home to being starborne like most humans." She fiddled idly with a bit of her hair, which was increasingly in disarray due to a lack of proper brush or anything. "Though I always did want to see different parts of the galaxy..."

Muxa had to suppress the urge to squeal in delight.

First time off world! It's like the Great Material Continuum washed up a treasure chest onto my shores!

He cleared his throat.

"Ah, new to this grand galaxy of ours are you? Well, she may be pretty, but there are sharks in those waters. You should be careful. A newbie like you is an easy target for a grifter or a sleazy con man. Of course, I'd never do such a thing. I'm but a humble nomad...with quite the offer for you."

He fished two knick-knacks from inside his coat.

"Now I may be bald as Jean-Luc Picard, but I can tell your follicles seem to be in a rather haphazard state. Well, it's your lucky day. Right here in my hands is the only bottle of...Muxa Brand Hair Restoration Serum! Oh, yes. One swig of this, and your locks will shine like the walls of the Divine Treasury. And for no extra cost, I'll throw in this nice comb. After all, beauty is its own reward."
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Holy Lykos
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Lykos » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:06 pm

"As nice as that all would be, sir, I'm afraid I don't have a thing to my name. All I have are the clothes on my back. My homeworld is rather poor as it is, and my people don't really believe in hoarding items or caring too much about material possessions. For most, faith in the Lord is enough. Me, not so much, but material things never really appealed to me either.

"Oh, I'm rambling, aren't I?" She stopped herself, obviously trying to be incredibly polite. "I'm sorry, sir, but I won't be able to purchase anything from you." She gave a short little bow, frowning. "My companion Antig may, though I don't think he'd have much need for a hair tonic. I believe he's off looking for the friend of his we were to meet."

Though she thought for a bit, frowning and furrowing her brow. "Who's this John Luke Pickett you mentioned? I've never heard of that name before."
Pansexual Polyamorous
Autistic
Agnostic
Anarcho-Syndicalist
Comp Sci Major
History Enthusiast
Furry

Official Squirrel
of
Personification Life

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:39 pm

Holy Lykos wrote:"As nice as that all would be, sir, I'm afraid I don't have a thing to my name. All I have are the clothes on my back. My homeworld is rather poor as it is, and my people don't really believe in hoarding items or caring too much about material possessions. For most, faith in the Lord is enough. Me, not so much, but material things never really appealed to me either.

"Oh, I'm rambling, aren't I?" She stopped herself, obviously trying to be incredibly polite. "I'm sorry, sir, but I won't be able to purchase anything from you." She gave a short little bow, frowning. "My companion Antig may, though I don't think he'd have much need for a hair tonic. I believe he's off looking for the friend of his we were to meet."

Though she thought for a bit, frowning and furrowing her brow. "Who's this John Luke Pickett you mentioned? I've never heard of that name before."

Of course. A fresh off-worlder, and she's a complete pauper. This is why no one likes Hew-Mons.

Clearly struggling to keep the smile on his face, Muxa stuffed away his baubles and straightened his coat.

"Oh, just some Starfleet captain. Real killjoy. Helped shut down a smuggling operation that...that I...wanted to stop first! Yeah, that's right. Smugglers. Such lowlifes. Give us honest salesman a bad name."

Even his own mother wouldn't call Muxa an honest anything.

"Well, I should be on my way. Have a nice-"

Spinning around, he saw a very familiar couple of guys. Very large, very angry guys. Who for some reason were a bright shade of purple.

"Uh-oh...uh...well, why leave so early! I bet your friend is looking for you. Why not introduce me to him...also, about how tall is he?"
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse