NATION

PASSWORD

In the Hour of the Knight (IC/ Semi-Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Yuzhou
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

In the Hour of the Knight (IC/ Semi-Open)

Postby Yuzhou » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:47 am

In the Hour of the Knight

Act I: Out of the Den

There he sat, with his legs propped up on the back of a chair, watching the little golden clock dangling from his hand turn in suspension. His eyes followed the tiny hands ticking ever closer towards the right destination. Those he expected had exactly ten minutes to arrive.
For a moment, time stood still. The silence in the now mostly empty room was what froze it. Light beamed in from the windows behind his spot, casting him in black and throwing his shadow long across the floor towards the fireplace on the other end.
With a scratch of his speckled beard, time resumed running.

He had prepared for this moment for awhile. Every minute of the past day was spent in haste, making sure the pieces fell where they needed to for perfection. Now though, he wished he had done more. They always wish they had done more.
The old knight truly had no tolerance for the wait, it was an art he lost craft for long ago. So, he stood and stretched his back, giving a huff as he bent back into shape. His eyes traced the relics adorning the walls. Shields, banners, weapons, all reminders of Brighfield's past. Life in the order had never seemed to reflect what it promised it once was. Really, he could say the same about life in Brightfield in general. The kingdom had been at war with one neighbor or another since he could remember. It was true that Grendale and Brightfield had been united in peace under their previous monarchs...but they had been husband and wife. It seemed only the bond of marriage was strong enough to stop the squabbling-- brothers are all too eager to kill the armies of the other.

The old knight had been in these armies too many times, often at the forefront of the slaying. "Black Bear" they had called him, "Knight of Brightfield" had been the shouting alarm of both the relieved and the panicked. He regretted it, sure, he wasn't a bad man..or so he thought. But it was all too humorous--the idea that at one time his hands were meant to hold the purse of coin and not the sword. But that was long ago. Maybe one day, the red field the beloved flower of Brightfield grew on would be red with honor.. courage..chivalry, like it was in times of yore. For now though, he couldn't help see it as red with blood.

But he had no reason to be so critical. After all, the order was his way of life. It had been so for nearly twenty years. And the people in it were his friends. They were good people, even if they did not always follow the best of orders. Even their king, who in the end controlled the order like a worn, raggity puppet was just and kind to his own people. No, the old knight figured it was all a matter of circumstance. It had to be, he was about to bring a group complete strangers into the fold.

He looked back down at his clock. Seven minutes left.
Too much time to be standing around, so he wandered over to the window. Below in the green of the courtyard stood many figures. Based on their armor and stance, he knew they were new squires, but never expected so many. Typically, a new squire squad was only formed once a month or so, but down below he counted three. That was four taking into account his own squad, and there was no telling how many were meeting somewhere else. It was good to see so much interest from the outside world in boosting the knight ranks, but he could only reflect on how many of those figures below will make it to knighthood.

A smile crossed his face--he could hear Ser Torreg shouting orders even from way up where he watched. Within seconds, the whole squad of squires were on the ground, doing push-ups in their armor. The dwarf of a knight had a way of doing that.
And the fair Mindy, her squad were already standing at perfect attention. He could see it would take much for him to put the two to shame. It made him wish he had decided to meet his squad in the courtyard instead. No changing it now, not after the trouble it took to get Darston to agree to clear the mess hall for just his squad.
...his squad.

He looked back down to the watch. Exactly five minutes till three. It was clear no one was going to arrive super early, but he didn't expect that from squires who barely knew up from down in the castle. Still, he didn't like being left in an empty room with silence for too long: It got him to thinking..
And just then, he thought he heard the door open.
Last edited by Yuzhou on Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elderowa
Senator

Founded: Nov 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Elderowa » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:20 am

Carter Lyandor was deep in thought as he aimlessly wandered the grand Castle of Brightfield. So many things were running through his mind, which had been common for him since his child hood. Carter was always a deep thinker, and a critical one at that. Right now, the thoughts running in his mind involved his current situation; he had signed up to be a Squire for an old Knight known as the Black Bear. He had heard rumors that the Black Bear was an exceptionally fierce warrior, and a merciless one at that. Carter had signed up to be the Black Bear's squire to get a better living in Brightfield; being from Avirn, a kingdom with poor relations with Brightfield, he was an outsider and an utrustworthy one at that. Being a squire to one of the fiercest Lords in the land was certain to improve his standing in the nation.

Currently, however, Carter was lost; not just in his mind, but in the Castle, as it was huge. He kept going through every part of the Castle, trying every door he could. Some of them were locked, some lead to empty offices, some lead to hallways. Some were guarded and Carter was yelled at by the Guards not to go near those. Having failed at finding the correct office on the first floor, he was now scouring the second floor for the office, with similar results to the first floor. With him being lost in the Castle, he wondered if he was right for the job? Perhaps he was hasty in signing up for the position of Squire? Maybe he should just leave the castle now, head back to Avirn, and forget his life outside of the Lumber Mill where his father still works? Then again, he was already here. Why should he turn back now? Was this his fate? Were things like 'fate' and 'destiny' real? Was he in charge of his own life, or where others controlling it? All he knew for sure was, it was a good thing he came to the castle early.

After a 20-minute search, through several floors of the Castle, he finally entered a door where an older looking Human with a full beard and black hair with specks of grey. If it weren't for him being a Human, he would swear he was his own father. "Excuse me, ser," Carter asked cautiously, his deep voice slightly echoing off of the Lord's memorabilia, "but is this the office of the Lord known as the Black Bear?"

Yuzhou
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yuzhou » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:27 pm

Ser Bartram

The door did open.
And through it stepped a halfling who couldn't have been older than a boy. The old knight seized him up the minute he turned to face him. The lad was tall like most halflings, but strong and muscular in build.
Commoner, likely came from a background of manual labor.
With such an axe on the boy's back, Bartram knew he was a two-handed fighter, though doubted if the word "fighter" was appropriate. Squires had a tendency to overestimate their abilities, it was a fact that got them killed. Bartram would be sure to wear it out of this group.

"Office? No, this is the small mess hall, also known as the "Knight's mess". But you're in the right place."
The old knight watched the boy, studying him for a moment. He was a decent pick for a squire, though only time would tell if he could be molded into a knight.

"Stand in front of the fireplace, we'll start a line there."

Bartram walked over and grabbed a small piece of paper off one of the few nearby tables. He held it to the light pouring from the windows.
Ah! If they would label these damn things..

The knight glanced over at his new squire and then back at the list.
Who is he...
Let's see, Halfling with black hair..
Cain Lortak?
Ruingo?
Carter?
Titania?!

"Say, boy, what's your name?"
I have been previously known as Apfeldonia and Thimbyrland

Oh way down south in the land of cotton...

Water Earth Fire Air

Elderowa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elderowa » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:08 pm

Carter Lyandor

"Oh, a Mess hall," Carter says. As he's about to introduce himself with a kneel and his oath, he is told to stand in front of the fireplace. "O-oh," he says, "Okay me lord."

As he walks over there, the Black Bear looks over his list, and asks who he is. "I am Carter, ser." He says in front of the fireplace. "Carter Lyandor, at your service," he says with a bow.
Last edited by Elderowa on Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kingdom of Irhk
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 30, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kingdom of Irhk » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:39 pm

Cain got to the castle,quietly looking for Ser Bertram,the knight known as the "Black Bear". Despite the fact that he traveled more than most of the people at his age,the castle was a totally different place.

The large,big castle remembered him of the stories about the Knights of Brightfield: honored and respect in the world,ready to carry their duty against the threats in the world. The place looked like it jumped straight from the books and made itself a real location. A real,big location,that made Cain ask the location of Ser Bertram.

After knowing that Ser Bertram was in the mess hall,he headed to the mess hall,attracting the attention of the guards posted there due to his unusual height for a human,a usual thing for him.

As he got to the large doors at the mess hall,he noticed antoher squire,and an older man,presumably Ser Bertram.

"Ser Bertram? I'm one of the squires assigned to your squad. Cain Lortak. It´s a pleasure to meet you Ser."
Nothing to see here, move along.

Yuzhou
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yuzhou » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:46 pm

Ser Bartram

"uh, yes. Right, Lyandor. Precisely who I suspected you were."

Bartram watched the young man for moment, and then dragged a chair over to where he stood.
"Well, no sense in having you stand whilst you wait. Wearing your full outfit for the first time takes strains on you, but you quickly get used to it.
Anyways, may I see the letter you received assigning you to me? I'm supposed to collect those."

The knight looked down at his clock.
"Your comrades have four minutes to arrive. It won't be good if they are late..."

Just then the door opened, and through it stepped a massive man. Bartram quickly built a profile on him. He was outfitted in the squire mail, so he belonged here. He was human, and judging by his complexion he had spent quite some time in the sun.
Blacktown...

"Yes, squire Lortak. I have been expecting you.
If you would please take a seat next to your squad mate Lyandor here. He happens to be a two-handed fighter like you."
Ser Bartram pulled up a second seat next to Carter.

"The other should be arriving shortly."
He pulled more chairs in for the arrival of the rest of the squad.
"If I may see your assignment letter as well, squire Lortak."

Water Earth Fire Air

Elderowa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elderowa » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:21 pm

Carter Lyandor

Feeling in his pockets, Carter Lyandor found his folded up piece of paper in his pocket. Unfolding it, he saw that it was indeed his letter that he had received for his assignment. He walked up to the Black Bear. "Here you go, Ser," Carter said, "My assigning letter. Everything should be in order," at least he hoped it was in order.

Then he went up to this newcomer, Cain. "Greeting, Cain. I am Cater. I see you're here for a squire ship assignment as well," he said with a smile and another bow.
Last edited by Elderowa on Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint Morning
Minister

Founded: Apr 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Morning » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:07 pm

The sound of footsteps hitting the pavement echoed throughout the halls of the castle as Princess Titania quickly made her way towards the Mess hall. Shoving through passing nobility and knights on duty as she raced against time.

Her being late simply will not do.

First impressions were everything. She had learnt that from a young age. It was the building blocks of any potential relationship or any reputation that you wished to achieved. It would do her no good to be labelled as being tardy, and agitating her future leader would only hinder her efforts of becoming a Knight.

That didn’t mean she would follow him blindly and without questions. She was after all, despite her current predicament, still royalty and wasn’t use to taking orders from many individuals.

She was still getting use to living like a commoner, but was doing better than you would think. She wasn’t dead and that was all that mattered. As she long as she breathed, as long as she fought, there was still hope for her Kingdom.

She came to an abrupt halt in front of the tall doors that lead to the mess hall. She stood there motionless for a moment as she caught her breathe, simply staring at the twin doors that blocked her from her new life.

Taking in a deep breath she pushed the door opened and entered the hall. Her eyes instantly latched onto the form of three individuals, all male, standing off to the side, push back a few locks of platinum blonde hair, the princess approached the trio.

“Good Day,” She greeted, her blue eye analyzing each and every one of them. “I’m Titania Lovegood, which one of you is Ser Bartram?”

Kingdom of Irhk
Negotiator

Postby Kingdom of Irhk » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:23 pm

Yuzhou wrote:Ser Bartram

"uh, yes. Right, Lyandor. Precisely who I suspected you were."

Bartram watched the young man for moment, and then dragged a chair over to where he stood.
"Well, no sense in having you stand whilst you wait. Wearing your full outfit for the first time takes strains on you, but you quickly get used to it.
Anyways, may I see the letter you received assigning you to me? I'm supposed to collect those."

The knight looked down at his clock.
"Your comrades have four minutes to arrive. It won't be good if they are late..."

Just then the door opened, and through it stepped a massive man. Bartram quickly built a profile on him. He was outfitted in the squire mail, so he belonged here. He was human, and judging by his complexion he had spent quite some time in the sun.
Blacktown...

"Yes, squire Lortak. I have been expecting you.
If you would please take a seat next to your squad mate Lyandor here. He happens to be a two-handed fighter like you."
Ser Bartram pulled up a second seat next to Carter.

"The other should be arriving shortly."
He pulled more chairs in for the arrival of the rest of the squad.
"If I may see your assignment letter as well, squire Lortak."

Elderowa wrote:Carter Lyandor

Feeling in his pockets, Carter Lyandor found his folded up piece of paper in his pocket. Unfolding it, he saw that it was indeed his letter that he had received for his assignment. He walked up to the Black Bear. "Here you go, Ser," Carter said, "My assigning letter. Everything should be in order," at least he hoped it was in order.

Then he went up to this newcomer, Cain. "Greeting, Cain. I am Cater. I see you're here for a squire ship assignment as well," he said with a smile and another bow.

"Sure Ser Bertram,here it is."he said,reaching his pocket for the letter and giving it to the Knight.

"Greetings Carter,pleasure to meet you.Ser Bertram tells me that you are a two-handed fighter like me. Yes,I'm for the assingment as well. Do you have previous experience in fighting or are you a first timer?"

Daemuss
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Daemuss » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:30 pm

".........I'm sure a man of your...stature wouldn't mind?"

While most people hold it in very good faith that the way to understand a man's soul is to look into his eyes, the words work quite a bit faster.

The shop's spacious interior was alive with the dancing beams of sunlight streaming in from the floor to ceiling windows stationed along its front. A single shadow within was a continuously shifting being, growing and shrinking at will as its host moved among the display cases. Enormous wooden shelves dominated the remaining three walls, each one home to a seemingly random assortment of vials and instruments, and each one dwarfing Shadow's Host ever more. The being moved with either uncanny grace or blistering arrogance, or rather a mixture of both most acceptable? The soles of his fine leather boots clicked against the stone flooring to a solid tempo; click-click-click-pause click-click-click-pause. With every break in the beat it stopped to take in the wide variety of instruments and vials each shelf held.

The being's gloved hands drew themselves together, one grasping at the other into it found a grip on the stitching of the index finger. Quickly the offending piece of leather was removed, allowing the newly free appendage to explore the object of its desire with a gentle touch. Long, slender fingers brushed across the crystal glass of a needle on display, one of seemingly hundreds that each bore a different, handwritten label. The particular one the hand was taking notice of was marked oleum dulce vitrioli, a liquid rather lack luster in both appearence and smell, not that the bearer of the hand would know as he lacked the ability. It's consistency was that of water and the aroma was applicable to that of rotten eggs, perhaps due to the pretense of sulphuric acid in the mixture. The potion was an surgical anesthetic, and a rather crude one at that, but it accomplished its given task quite effectly. That being said, several vials, as well as the needle itself, was added to the brown leather satchel that rode atop the right hip of the figure.

A figure who immediately turned after the word 'stature' was uttered. It was less the word itself and rather the manner in which it was said. It was the same as if the man had asked, 'Oh, you prefer that source of entertainment?', instead of, 'Oh, you prefer that source of entertainment?'. Essentially it projected the feelings most surface dwellers felt towards being's such as the figure. Despite being nearly identical in nearly every way, the precence of lightly glowing red eyes was enough to cause alarm in the shop keepers mind. They confirmed a suspicion he didn't even harbor until seconds ago that the angular man before him was Merfolk.

And he was accurate.....to some extent at least.

Azrael At-om drew himself to his full height, perhaps one of his few physically intimidating qualities. He stood a half head taller than most men, an attribute he used to literally look down on commoner and nobleman alike. His choice of clothes suggested sensible nobility, a term he coined himself, as the man disposed of unwieldy satin garments in preference of a black cotton weave vest over a white undershirt and a long, light brown fleece coat. All sitting above a large leather belt and brown pants, leading into glossy black boots whose edges bore the sigil of the At-om clan. Sensible garb matched sensible features, his face wasn't overly handsome but it was sharp, facial hair restrained to a heavy stubble and his hair, while long, was tied back in a bun. His eyebrows, jet black like the rest of his hair, seemed locked in a constant state of confidence with one almost cocked above the other.

"My stature, sir?" He inquired politely, immediately flashing a rather hollow smile, displaying nearly identical rows of pearl white teeth.

"Er," The Shopkeep replied, "Merely a figure of speech my friend, hehe...... I just noticed you taking merchandise and we are actually in the process of closing down for the day.

"Yet I am a paying customer with the want and ability to buy this merchandise?"

"Sir, we are closing and I merely do not wish to inconvenience you, we will be open tomorrow at dawn if you would, ah, wish to return then?" He added the final part of the sentence nervously, the old man fiddled with the many rings on his hands as he did so.

A quick glance to his watch resolved the internal debate within Azrael on whether or not to press the issue. He was late. Thus, instead of arguing the Merfolk opted for the method of conversation everyone understood, despite prejudice.

Cutting off any further attempt for the elderly man to speak, Azrael began speaking quickly as he began backpedaling towards the door. "Oh that's quite alright, I was just finishing up....... Morgan's Supply House, correct? Hm.....I'll......remember that."

To punctuate the sentence, Azrael dropped a small bag of coins into the man's outstretched hand and turned on his heel, bursting through the heavy wooden door a yard behind him. The sunlight momentarily blinding before his eyes adjusted, revealing a crowded marketplace for any thing the heart could need and more for what it didn't. Several heads turned at his abrupt exit from the store front, but their swindle ended with an empty space where Azrael had been moments before. Instead he was already several yards down the cobblestone street, his fast, unbroken pace was in the direction of the Grand Castle, a local noticable by the rather dominating shadow it cast across half the stalls in the market.

Without breaking stride or a sweat, Azrael flashed his letter to the guards who stood sentry at the main gate, the sunny day and recently served meal dampening their care of a 'thorough' check. The "Squire" made his way through a mess of men and women in armor ranging from blindingly shiny and abnormally dull, honestly though the dwarf in question seemed to be wearing stone. In any case, his letter was read over several times by the guards who stood in front of the keep's gaping enterence. With a quick uneasy glance to his partner, the guard nodded and allowed Azrael entry, an action the Merfolk used to justify jogging up several flights of stairs, fumbling his way through several corridors, and finally arriving at his desired local; a small mess hall that seemed to be one of hundreds, discernable by detail to none save its maker. He stopped for a moment to compose himself, straightening out his coat and bag before running a hand through his hair before pushing into the room......populated by but a handful of men and a single woman?

"Um, I may have gotten the room wrong, they all.....er, look the same." He gave a slight, half laugh at his own joke, "I am to be under the charge of a Ser Darston?"

Yuzhou
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yuzhou » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:25 pm

Ser Bartram

The knight examined the letters with a curious eye. Yep, these two were his...for better or for worse. Now what was certain was that he would be responsible for their lives and training. He watched the two chat for a moment. They were fine specimens as far as young squires went, at least physically. This was a false hope though, as the old bear knew all too well the casualty rate for beginning squares. His face drooped a bit at the thought. How harsh were mentors like him, who send their students out to be built from fire and metal. How harsher still the mentors who shelter their lot, only to send them out in worse odds with the mistaken idea that scrubbing floors and guarding shops was enough to prepare them for the field.

It was a loss he needed to come to terms with now. True, the bear protects it's cubs to the death..but it must prepare for the worse.
He placed the letters over on the small side table and then return, just about to check his watch when the doors creaked open again.

The first thing that caught his gaze was a pair of striking blue orbs nestled softly in the halfling face of a girl. She was tall, taller than him by just barely, but likely half the width with her typical halfling slimness.

“I’m Titania Lovegood, which one of you is Ser Bartram?”
"This old man right here."
Something about her name struck him. Lovegood.....Lovegood....Lovegood, ah yes, he now he had placed her. His eyes narrowed a bit in curiosity.
"Come in and take a sit next to your squad mates. I need your assignment letter."

Moments later, a third gentleman strode into the room. Bartram caught his confident eyes straight on, but had little time to react before he dropped his golden watch on the ground.
"I am to be under the charge of a Ser Darston?"
There was a silence, the kind that made the dropping of a quill seem loud. Then it was followed by a bellow of laughter from the black bear himself.
"Not Darston. You've read the letter wrong. On a normal day, I could tell you where you need to go, but this time I will have to see your letter."
He wiped the beads of liquid from the corner of his eyes and bent down to pick up the watch. Upon brief inspection, the surface was cracked. His smile quickly went flat.
He gave a sigh, "No, not Darston. Knight-Commanders don't take squires. He'd be a bit too old to be worrying about a bunch of pups running around anyways."

Water Earth Fire Air

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:49 pm

Ruingo Werya Kassaye Gaza
Sword-and-Shield

I had awoken early as usual to engage in my practices. I had first donned a white robe and took a walk towards a nearby creek where I bathed myself in my peoples form of ritual purification. Making use of a simple bar of soap I cleansed myself washing away the worries of life. For a moment I could forget. After about 30 Minutes of this I made my way out into the cold air which served as encouragement for me to return back to my room. If one were to look upon my room they would find a rather spartan affair as is proper. A wool hammock in the corner with a chest underneath, a wooden study desk that had papers and books underneath, and finally an informal shrine on the western side. Said shrine was a small Chimenea surrounded by black candles which emitted a smell akin to rotting vegetables. I made my way over to my shrine pulling out a small pouch which was filled with grain. With the fire raging I dropped a grain for each member of my family who I had lost speaking their names after each one. I rested on my knees facing the west with my hands crossing my chest I began to pray.

As I prayed tears wound down my eyes as I remembered days long gone by. How much I had lost, the uncertainty of my fate, and other celestial questions that have been pondered by great minds throughout history. Now I myself pondered them in my mind and in my grieving heart which longed for home and family. What is a man without family? Nothing, that is what. I finished up and went to my bed where I had previously laid my outfit which consisted of rather unfamiliar garments. The shirt was one of metal, mail they called it around these parts. Where I had come from such a thing was a rare luxury rarely seen outside the spear wielding heavy infantry who were dwarfed by the large masses of bow wielding light infantry who had at best quilted Armour which proved well enough for most projectiles but proved only modest for direct combat. As only a retainer who assisted my warrior in the duties befit of a scout and occasional raider it was unfamiliar ware for me. The pants where not so strange being made from wool which they derived from a rather hairy goat like creature called a sheep. Such material was usually only used for cloaks and the like from my knowledge being to hot and scratchy for warm weather. To be fair though considering the weather in these parts it seemed like a good idea.

I with only minor difficulty placed on the outfit which was somewhat uncomfortable but still bearable. I went over to my study picking up my enlistment paper and my weapons, which were far more familiar to me, from where I had rested them. On my back was my rawhide shield which was considered impressively large by these people. It was sturdily built allowing it to handle the rigors of campaign. On it's well oiled black like charcoal surface were various white markings which had been added on by my mother to protect me from danger mostly of the spiritual kind of course. On the back was my name and the names of my family members so that when in the darkness of battle I may never forget what I was fighting for. On my sash was a good hand ax, on my left hand were my two javelins, and on my right hand was my short spear built to my specifications with a 1 foot long blade and 3 foot long shaft. At the end was a necklace which held a totem of a boar which was respected for it's ferocity. Hopefully it would give me it's strength when I was in need.

I made my way out the door of my little dorm and into the main halls of this exalted place. Because of my isolation I honestly did not know too much about the place with me being mostly cooped up either in the infirmary and then later the halls of the scholars of this order who I remember with fondness for their kindness to me. Still I had been given instructions to where I was meant to go so it shouldn't have been too much of an issue, but it was to my chagrin. I was not used to such large buildings being composed like that of mazes. I got lost a few times before I finally found myself outside the door of the mess hall in a rather flustered state.

I calmed myself and went in observing what was to be observed.
Last edited by Kazarogkai on Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Elderowa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elderowa » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:40 am

Carter Lyandor

After introducing himself, Cain asked Carter if he had experience in fighting. "Well," Carter replied, "I have experience in fighting off Wildlife, especially Wildlife around my hometown in the kingdom of Avirn. Fighting other men, however, is something I have not much experience with..."

His speech was interrupted with a creak at the door; a young Halfling woman entered, who looked at everyone in the room, then introduced herself and asked for the Lord. As the Black Bear talked to her, Carter looked intensely at her. There was something about her that was... fascinating, to say the least. Perhaps it was Carter's lack of knowledge and interaction of the Female variety, or perhaps it looked like this young lady was not... Squire-looking material to Carter. 'Is it because she's a woman, and I did not expect women to be entering squireship positions?' Carter thought to himself. 'Perhaps it's because she's such a dainty thing, that I do not expect her to be one? The name, Titania Lovegood, is a strange name indeed. Perhaps that is why I don't think she should be a squire?'

As he pondered, another person entered the room; a Human male who hailed from a far distant land, due to his physical characteristics. He inquired if this was where Ser Darston resided. Carter, having been looking through out the Castle earlier, actually knew where to find Ser Darston, but before he could say anything, the Black Bear told him that he was not to see Darston on this day and that he was to take his letter. Odd, Carter thought, that the man couldn't meet Ser Darston. Of course, he himself wasn't allowed to see Darston either, but he assumed it was because that wasn't who he was supposed to see.

Without much hesitation, as the Halfling Woman and Human Man came towards the group, Carter bowed before them. "Greetings, fair squires-in-training. I am Carter Lyandor." Carter did not know whether to introduce Cain or to not, as he thought Cain might view either as disrespectful to him.

Kingdom of Irhk
Negotiator

Postby Kingdom of Irhk » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:47 am

Elderowa wrote:Carter Lyandor

After introducing himself, Cain asked Carter if he had experience in fighting. "Well," Carter replied, "I have experience in fighting off Wildlife, especially Wildlife around my hometown in the kingdom of Avirn. Fighting other men, however, is something I have not much experience with..."

His speech was interrupted with a creak at the door; a young Halfling woman entered, who looked at everyone in the room, then introduced herself and asked for the Lord. As the Black Bear talked to her, Carter looked intensely at her. There was something about her that was... fascinating, to say the least. Perhaps it was Carter's lack of knowledge and interaction of the Female variety, or perhaps it looked like this young lady was not... Squire-looking material to Carter. 'Is it because she's a woman, and I did not expect women to be entering squireship positions?' Carter thought to himself. 'Perhaps it's because she's such a dainty thing, that I do not expect her to be one? The name, Titania Lovegood, is a strange name indeed. Perhaps that is why I don't think she should be a squire?'

As he pondered, another person entered the room; a Human male who hailed from a far distant land, due to his physical characteristics. He inquired if this was where Ser Darston resided. Carter, having been looking through out the Castle earlier, actually knew where to find Ser Darston, but before he could say anything, the Black Bear told him that he was not to see Darston on this day and that he was to take his letter. Odd, Carter thought, that the man couldn't meet Ser Darston. Of course, he himself wasn't allowed to see Darston either, but he assumed it was because that wasn't who he was supposed to see.

Without much hesitation, as the Halfling Woman and Human Man came towards the group, Carter bowed before them. "Greetings, fair squires-in-training. I am Carter Lyandor." Carter did not know whether to introduce Cain or to not, as he thought Cain might view either as disrespectful to him.

"You'll end up finding that sometimes fighting humans and wildlife are the exactly same thing Carter. And we are all in training after all."

As the female halfling entered the hall,Cain noticed his fellow squire amazed by her. Despite Cain finding it funny,he could see the reason of Carter's action. She was beautiful indeed,but her name wasn't strange to Cain, Lovegood...Lovegood...a royal family maybe? He couldn't say for sure.

The human man was clearly from distant lands. Everything about him expressed this fact. When both of them approached him,Cain greeted them.

"Greetings Titania. Greetings...human. I'm Cain Lortak. Sorry to do such question so fast lady,but I must ask. Lovegood...it is the name of a royal family,isn't it?"

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:21 pm

Sword-and-Shield

I quietly poked my head in the door observing what I could. I saw that the room was filled with my peers who had arrived earlier than I, I chastised myself for I all my life had made a point of arriving early to most things. I observed the individuals and counted 5 in total. A halfling boy and girl, an older man who I assumed must be the ""Black Bear", and finally 2 humans though one appeared to be... off to say the least to me. I tried to figure out why and thought maybe he was a magic man. The feeling I have from him is similar to the one my mother, herself a witch, gave off to some degree.

Whatever the case maybe after my observations were done I made my way in quietly so as not to disturb. Making my way over to the commander I heard a glimpse of conversation from the others but I payed no mind with my focus on the commander himself. I placed myself to his right 2 paces away as proper and from there proceeded to remove my mail. From my lands it was the proper way for a military subordinate to present his scars to his superior so as to show how experienced he was. With my mail off I placed my large rawhide shield and javelins into my left hand and my short spear on my right and placed myself at presentation. One would find my body doused in scars of various origins: some simple childhood wounds, others from combat, and even a few deliberately inflicted. Scars, old bruises, and even a few ugly burns darted across the exposed flesh of my upper body though some of the most prominent were the slash marks on my cheeks and the scars from where my nipples where cut off. In my lands boys born under a black Moon have their cheeks slashed for it is are belief that said boys must experience pain before they can understand love. My people rather than practicing circumcision like some of the people of these lands instead practice a ritual involving the cutting of the nipples when one reaches manhood, the general belief is that men do not need tits.

I waited for my time. One should not speak unless spoken to by ones superiors.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Vicavian Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vicavian Empire » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:31 pm

Acele Chani

Acele hated castles. They were symbols of a life she never fit into, a life of false smiles and restrictions, one she abandoned for one of freedom and honesty. Or so she thought. She had heard stories about how the knights were nothing more than political tools, but joining the knights was a way to escape. She hoped that her time with the knights would take her far away from her family.
She rubbed her assignment letter as she walked through the castle halls, a part of her still doubting her choice to join the knights. The Order's political dealings and actions factored into the equation, but mostly it was her own fear, fear that her parents were right and fear of the unknown. Her family wasn't a powerful one, but it was embroiled in the politics of Brightfield nevertheless, and they had sought to use her as a tool. The torture of meeting with seemingly endless suitors still echoed in her mind, and the halls of the castles were a painful reminder of her previous life.

She remembered her father's reaction to her joining the order. He had sneered, saying she would rather be a pawn than a chess master. She responded by reminding him of how his various political maneuvers had all led to failures and near financial ruin topping it off with a remark concerning his horrible chess skills. Tearing thoughts about her former life from her head, Acele wandered the halls.

Now where was the damn mess hall? she wondered

Ten minutes later, she found herself in a mess hall filled with other squires waiting in a line.
Last edited by Vicavian Empire on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yuzhou
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yuzhou » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:13 pm

Ser Bartram

He wasn't happy about his watch, but the only thing he could do now was set it over on the table. It was going to cost him to get that thing fixed.
"Well, I guess I can't really count anyone late now..."
Maybe it was for the best, Bartram had always been one to run things on his own time. He connected the names on the list to all the individuals in the room. Based on what he knew, he was missing only four squires now. And he was willing to bet that the latest gentleman to enter was a medic, based on the equipment he carried. Bartram's own medic had yet to show, one "Azrael", and the bear was willing to bet this might just be him.

He didn't have much time to contemplate on this when another figure entered the room. He did so quietly, which while more polite was certainly more noticeable to the knight. In the end, it didn't really matter how the man entered, as his dark foreign looks and equipment gave him a way all too easily. It was then that the old knight had remembered the scholars telling him about one such foreigner joining his ranks. He had seen him back in the infirmary when the lad had first arrived, and never thought he'd sign on as a knight.

What he really didn't expect was what the foreigner did next. Any person would be put off if some strange person started stripping of his armor without uttering a single word after just coming into the room...but only a knight would be wise enough to wait and see what came of it.
When the man had finished and stood at attention, Bartram spoke
"Ruingo, I presume? I remember when you first arrived here. I trust your shard speech is well enough to understand me?"
He studied the man for a moment. His subject was certainly filled with scars and other sorts of destruction. That was a language the black bear could understand, regardless of origin.

It was then that the door opened again and through it stepped a human girl with a shield on her back and a mace at her side. Bartram knew this girl..not personally, but he had seen her before. A daughter of some noble family no doubt. Normally he would groan at such an arrival, the order only got more flack when a nobleman was killed in the line of duty..especially if they were only a squire. Funny, how they were so often expected to be the ones killing the nobles of other kingdoms.
Today was not a normal day however. Instead, he couldn't help but grin widely in his mind. It was always fun to break nobles, especially those from Brightfield.
"You, girl. I need your assignment letter."

Water Earth Fire Air

Cerrania
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Part 1: The White Wolf

Postby Cerrania » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:26 pm

Av'e Tidris
The White Wolf of Gillia

From Master Arrow to an enlisted squire. How things change.

Av'e let the wind billow her cloak once more before she sighed and spurred her steed, Dracon, forward. She had been resting atop a rocky hill for some time now, watching the Castle of Brightfield seemingly come alive with activity. There had been a great number of "inconspicuous" new arrivals to the Castle as Av'e had watched, and she assumed that most of them were the knight squires she would be sharing much of her forthcoming time with. It was a strange, and not entirely pleasant, change. She had been on the road for half a year, hunting down a fairly dangerous coven of witches. She had been close to the location of their Grand Witch when the Grendale savages had...

Had...

Av'e shook her head, shoving the thoughts to the back of her mind as she rode inside the gates of the Castle. She refused to think about that day, only a few weeks back. She simply did not have the capacity to reflect. Looking around briefly, Av'e found the closest place to tie her horse up and dismounted. Patting him once on the nose, Av'e smiled before turning away and searching for the mess hall. As she strode across the courtyard, fashionably late from what she could tell, she opened the letter she had received. Second floor of the Castle.

It didn't take her long to find the mess hall, but when she entered she was greeted by a motley crew the likes of which she had never seen. There were several more Halflings than Av'e would have expected, a Myrfolk, and even a dwarf. This would certainly be interesting. Suppressing a heavy sigh, but almost certain she couldn't hide the disappointed frown on her face, Av'e let the door shut before walking forward. It was very clear to the others in the room that she carried herself with a nearly-tangible air of confidence. The way she let her hips swing, the angle that she held her chin, and even the calculating stare that she fixated on Ser Bartram gave away a sense of superiority.

Stopping only a few feet in front of Bartram, Av'e crossed her arms and waited for a long moment. Her gaze hadn't broken from the Bear's since she entered the room, and it maintained even still.

"You are the one they call the 'Black Bear'?" Av'e asked, now taking a moment to look around at those who shared the room with her.
"Amibition is a dream with a V8 engine."
-Elvis Presley

I really enjoy running.

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:25 pm

Sword-and-Shield

I stated in a mildly exclamatory manner to Ser Bartram while still at attention:

"My name is Ruingo Werya Kassaye Gaza. My adult name that I chose upon attaining manhood is Ruingo, my birth name given unto me by my parents is Werya. My Father was the warrior Djedptahy Mosena Kassaye Padiamay who took 46 skulls of his enemies, my Mother was the witch woman Nkunle Ngunwu Gaza Adeng. I was born and raised in the village of Hox whose allegiance was to the Kota known as Mada. I served as a retainer under the warrior Chomba Renda Kassaye Konga where I assisted him as a scout and assistant in battle and served as an apprentice of his; I gained 3 skulls of my enemies under his command."

When finished with my speech I pulled from my pocket my enlistment papers and placed it on his desk. After I placed back on the rather uncomfortable armor back on I spoke to the knight once more stating in a highly accented(sorta like arabic) tone I stated "I understand what you say, but you may not do the same for me." I made my way over to the line of rather strange looking chairs which stunned me to some degree. Such things where usually only reserved for big men and the like. Though yes I grew up somewhat more privileged because of my father I still was expected to sit on the ground, not that I minded since I found sitting on the ground honestly more comfortable overall. So I did just that I made my way to the end of the line of chairs and sat myself cross legged on the ground.

Right before my speech a young woman had entered which I Din't notice until afterwards. Kinda strange for it was rare for a woman to take on a warriors profession, though this land in general was strange so I took nothing of it. While observing around I saw another woman enter, this one was far different than the last. She walked like a woman of great power and her features were quite the opposite of mine with her pale skin and hair white as snow. White hair was usually only something one would see in the old so I was surprised by this. I figured she had aged from a harsh life presumably, one filled with trial after trial. If this was the case I felt sorry for her and what torment the world has dished out for the world has given me the same. Yet despite this she kept her head held high and remained like that of nobility in terms of posture. Interesting I must say. She was one to be watched.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Vicavian Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vicavian Empire » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:20 pm

Yuzhou wrote:Ser Bartram

He wasn't happy about his watch, but the only thing he could do now was set it over on the table. It was going to cost him to get that thing fixed.
"Well, I guess I can't really count anyone late now..."
Maybe it was for the best, Bartram had always been one to run things on his own time. He connected the names on the list to all the individuals in the room. Based on what he knew, he was missing only four squires now. And he was willing to bet that the latest gentleman to enter was a medic, based on the equipment he carried. Bartram's own medic had yet to show, one "Azrael", and the bear was willing to bet this might just be him.

He didn't have much time to contemplate on this when another figure entered the room. He did so quietly, which while more polite was certainly more noticeable to the knight. In the end, it didn't really matter how the man entered, as his dark foreign looks and equipment gave him a way all too easily. It was then that the old knight had remembered the scholars telling him about one such foreigner joining his ranks. He had seen him back in the infirmary when the lad had first arrived, and never thought he'd sign on as a knight.

What he really didn't expect was what the foreigner did next. Any person would be put off if some strange person started stripping of his armor without uttering a single word after just coming into the room...but only a knight would be wise enough to wait and see what came of it.
When the man had finished and stood at attention, Bartram spoke
"Ruingo, I presume? I remember when you first arrived here. I trust your shard speech is well enough to understand me?"
He studied the man for a moment. His subject was certainly filled with scars and other sorts of destruction. That was a language the black bear could understand, regardless of origin.

It was then that the door opened again and through it stepped a human girl with a shield on her back and a mace at her side. Bartram knew this girl..not personally, but he had seen her before. A daughter of some noble family no doubt. Normally he would groan at such an arrival, the order only got more flack when a nobleman was killed in the line of duty..especially if they were only a squire. Funny, how they were so often expected to be the ones killing the nobles of other kingdoms.
Today was not a normal day however. Instead, he couldn't help but grin widely in his mind. It was always fun to break nobles, especially those from Brightfield.
"You, girl. I need your assignment letter."

Acele nodded without a word and as she handed Bartram her letter, she looked around at the other squires. She was surprised at the number of non-humans, but she didn't mind. There were few nonhumans in the nobility, and an even smaller chance to socialize, though she was not a social person, Acele admitted to herself. There was a incredibly short human Acele almost mistook for a dwarf though she could see in a second glance that he was just a short human as he lacked the characteristic manner and general appearance of dwarves in general. There was even a merfolk whom she only identified by his eyes. She seemed to be the youngest, though she could never be sure.
Her observative behavior quickly turned to nervousness as she wondered if her background might cause teasing or apprehension. She was never a social person she reminded herself again, and in a group such as this, social skills were critical. She waited for Bartram to respond when she was nearly pushed aside by a newcomer. At first glance, Acele almost identified the newcomer as nobility. Her posture and manner reflected many she had met in her time in her family's household. Her physical appearance told her otherwise. Acele almost called the newcomer out on interrupting her, but she held her tongue as she reminded herself that they were all equal now.

Daemuss
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Daemuss » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:32 pm

Azrael's widened as the timepiece hit the ground, it's fall and crack seemingly already symbolizing his time as a military man. He quickly drew his battered letter from within the folds of his jacket, allowed it to roll open, and quickly scanned it's neat, ink lettering for a Bartram. He, to both his displeasure and embarrassment, very quickly realized his mistake; the Nobleman's face momentarily flashed a shade that resembled his eyes before returning to its orginal shade. His hot flash was immediately replaced by the overwhelming desire to act as if nothing had occurred, this manifesting in the form of an attempted handshake with the, should he say, expirenced looking knight? As well as a very quick, "Ah, I concur sir, I am Az-"

He was quickly cut off as the man moved on to other matters. Matters being Squires who hadn't broken a piece of his equipment in mere seconds.

Azrael walked further into the room, taking in to account the new arrivals, a veritably terrifying looking warrior and a woman who's face was.......just on the edge of his memory. A face that was not soon forgetten mind you, but one that seemed to demand attention, almost as if she was, perhaps, an actress of high regard? The man had attended many stage plays back in Razorcliff, maybe she had been part of the troop? The white hair, skin, and, well, everything else was certainly a point in the celebrity catagory as not many possess such notable attributes....

Speculation, he'd learned over the years, helped calm the nerves. It allowed his thoughts to flow from whatever he had done or been privy to that had become distressing, to others and what, for example, was wrong with them. In any case however, the room was jostling full of potential psych evaluations and the thought of such was enough to make Azrael excited.

Well he was forced to curb his enthusiasm as he knew he was late in his mission of delivering the letter he still clutched in his hand perhaps a little too tight. He eased his grip and approached the Knight, Bartram, from his left side, intent upon once more speaking to him.

"Sir, if I may, my name is Azra-"

He had gotten out slightly more than he had before when the man pointed out the actress/celebrity from earlier, once again allowing the man's words to die in his mouth.

Saint Morning
Minister

Founded: Apr 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Morning » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:10 pm

Titania’s vibrant blue eyes shifted away from Ser Bartram towards one of the other squires-to-be as he approached her; introducing himself as Carter Lyander. She smile politely at the halfling male and his companion who caught her off guard with his question.

She hesitated as she took in the form of the man. Cain. Thoughts racing through her mindscape as to how this man knew of the Lovegoods, though it shouldn’t really come to a surprise to her, she knew some individuals in the shard realm appeared to be at least vaguely aware of the Lovegood bloodline. But many were too invested in their own lives to care about some royal family from a nation outside shard nation’s sphere of influence. That’s why it came as such as surprise to find that someone who didn’t even appear to be of noble blood recognize her last name.

She had opened her mouth to respond, but was cut off by the opening of Mess hall doors, she watched as several more individuals entered the room. But there was one in particular that caught her eyes. A human female. She seemed to carry an air of arrogance with her, one befitting that if someone of noble heritage, the princess was quick to pick up the way the woman swayed her hips and approached Ser Bartran as if she were above everyone else in the room.

Indeed, with her attitude, she could have easily been mistaken for a noblewoman from a prestigious house. One that clearly didn’t instill humility in their members among many things.

She smile once again at the two males before she approached Ser Bartram as well, having procured her letter from her pockets. “You wanted to see my letter Ser Bartram?” She inquired innocently as she glanced at the other female, knowing full well that she had just interrupted the interaction between the knight and the self righteous squire to be.
Last edited by Saint Morning on Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yuzhou
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yuzhou » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:54 pm

Ser Bartram

The knight listened intently as Ruingo explained his background. To Bartram, it was all the ramblings of someone not from the Shard, but still it was worthy to note. You could often find a man's values in what he deems important to tell. That was an important lesson for the bear to learn even before he became a knight.
"Right, well, for ease of use I'll call you by your chosen name."
He watched the man fit back on his armor and respond to the question of linguistics.
Very well, it is my orders that are important..
Ruingo walked over to the chairs, and in the end decided to sit on the floor. Bartram wouldn't question his choice of seats. He got his letter collected and that was all he needed.

It was then that the door opened for the final time, bringing into the fold the last person expected. This one had a circle of interest around her name the moment Bartram had read it on the list. Oh yes, he had been waiting.
The ball was in her court.

The two locked eyes for what seemed like minutes. The bear was a hard man to outstare, and it seemed this small girl was determined to try. With the way she walked, and the way she talked, it was clear she held enough bravery to duel him in a game of riddles. Mental riddles.
"You are the one they call the 'Black Bear'?"

He went to respond, when the halfling girl Lovegood interrupted the game.
"Uh, what? Oh yes, your letter."
He took the assignment letter from her and added it to the stack forming in his hand before turning back to his newest arrival.
"I am the one you'll call commander."

He wouldn't give her the satisfaction of replying immediately, instead he turned towards the medic.
"You were about to say something?"
His eyebrow raised as he reached out his hand for the assignment letter he saw so easily prepared in the palm of the merman.

Water Earth Fire Air

Daemuss
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Daemuss » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:29 pm

Forcing a smile, Azrael was caught off guard by the sudden spotlight and floundered for a moment. Like a deer staring directly into a hunter's eyes, he froze for a millennial moment before mistaking the hand outstretched for his letter as one of an offered handshake. He immediately took it, once again, mistaking it as an act of good faith.

"I think we may have gotten off on the wrong foot," the Merman laughed quietly, the only way most nobles knew how to diffuse internally pier iced tension, "my name is Azrael At-om, I may have misread my letter in my hast but I do believe I am to be your new medic."

Azrael quickly realized that he had continued shaking the man's hand throughout his sentence. He quickly returned it to his side and had already opened his mouth continue speaking when he remembered the letter that remained in his palm. In a slightly jerky motion, the merman brought his fist back to the knight's still outstretched hand and let the note flutter on top.

"Perhaps you have heard of my father?" He added, his confident composure regained and air of fracture grace assembled itself, "Ser Venrir At-om, Lord of Razorcliff?"

Elderowa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elderowa » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:56 pm

Carter Lyandor

Carter couldn't help but notice the Female Halfling stammer at the claim of royalty. While she certainly had the beauty of many princesses Carter learned about in his youth from stories, Carter wouldn't expect a Princess to be a lowly squire. Perhaps Cain was simply being kind, and was complimenting Titania? Or perhaps he was mocking her in a derogatory fashion? Perhaps Titania was a Princess? Perhaps it was just the way she looked and acted that made her appear as one?

Before Carter could say anything, two Human women and two Human men entered the Mess Hall in rapid succession. The Two women were worlds apart, with one who appeared to be studying things carefully and taking in her surroundings, while the other was trying way to hard to show she was a high ranking warrior. How high she could be if she only now has a squire job is something Carter was too polite to ask, though he'd think about it. The two men were also not what Carter would expect; one was a foreigner who was clearly out of his element, and had introduced himself with a diatribe of his name. The other was clearly a timid, quiet man who introduced himself as the groups "Medic", a word unfamiliar to Carter.

Carter, however, did not really care about socializing much. He wanted to know what his job was, and was tired of waiting for other possible squires. Passing all of newcomers, and not noticing that the Black Bear had dropped his time piece, an item his father has but one Carter never had, asked "Excuse me, me lord. It seems you have assembled quite a number of Squires. Are we hear to gain squireship, or to be your personal army?" Before the Black Bear could reply, Carter continued "As for that matter, what is our first assignment as your squire? Since you have assembled so many, am I to assume that the mission is a dangerous one? Would you really hire new people to go on missions that may be out of their hand? Where are we going to accomplish our assignment? What foes or fauna will we face in this mission? Will you expect us to do all the work, or will you partake in the quest as well? Are we to be rewarded for our deeds? If so, how, and how much?"

On and on Carter asked questions until his new Boss kindly told him to stop asking questions.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse