NATION

PASSWORD

Tales of Two Horizons OOC-Open

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:26 am

Liecthenbourg wrote:
Caltarania wrote:
:P

Hokay dokey.

Sell Cyprus pl0x.

I'll buy Cyprus for more than the Greeks will give.

Altito Asmoro wrote:Netherlands, gib australia plox.

I'll buy Australia for more than he's going to, too.

Back off British! :p
Stormwrath wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:You people can call me...AA. Or Alt.
Or Tito.

I'm calling you "non-aligned comrade."

A proud Nationalist
Winner for Best War RP of 2016

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:26 am

The Kingdom of Glitter wrote:Louisiane aka Western Columbia.

*nods*

*raises a hand*

I'll buy this too. ;)
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919
Grand-Master of the Kyluminati

The Region of Kylaris
I'm just a simple Kylarite, trying to make my way on NS.

The Gaullican Republic,
I thank God for Three Things:
Kylaris, the death of Esquarium, and Prem <3

The Transtsabaran Federation and The Chistovodian Workers' State

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

The Kingdom of Glitter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Kingdom of Glitter » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:27 am

Liecthenbourg wrote:
The Kingdom of Glitter wrote:Louisiane aka Western Columbia.

*nods*

*raises a hand*

I'll buy this too. ;)

*throws Mexicans holding Columbian arms at Texas*

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:29 am

Altito Asmoro wrote:
Liecthenbourg wrote:I'll buy Cyprus for more than the Greeks will give.

I'll buy Australia for more than he's going to, too.

Back off British! :p

uwot8.exe.
Error detected.

Invasion imminent.

The Kingdom of Glitter wrote:
Liecthenbourg wrote:*raises a hand*

I'll buy this too. ;)

*throws Mexicans holding Columbian arms at Texas*

Texas is irrelevant.

I need to sell that, though.

Time to pen a letter to Mexico.
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919

The Region of Kylaris

The Gaullican Republic,

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

Elepis
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:39 am

Caltarania wrote:
Elepis wrote:
Good point, a Caliph wouldn't like that.

Egypt was with Greece in spirit then :p

Hokay dokey.

Sell Cyprus pl0x.

what do I gain from it, apart from money. Egypt already has enough of that :p

Liecthenbourg wrote:
Caltarania wrote:

Hokay dokey.

Sell Cyprus pl0x.

I'll buy Cyprus for more than the Greeks will give.

PS: I would be willing to sell Greek Cyprus, TRNC is mine though
"Krugmar - Today at 10:00 PM
Not sure that'll work on Elepis considering he dislikes (from what I've observed):
A: Nationalism
B: Religion being taken seriously
C: The Irish"

Caltarania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Caltarania » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:39 am

Elepis wrote:
Caltarania wrote:

Hokay dokey.

Sell Cyprus pl0x.

Liecthenbourg wrote:I'll buy Cyprus for more than the Greeks will give.

PS: I would be willing to sell Greek Cyprus, TRNC is mine though

We'll help you finally defeat Rum.
I'M FROM KYLARIS, AND I'M HERE TO HELP!

The Kingdom of Glitter
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Kingdom of Glitter » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:23 am

Okay so I'm not really sure what Columbian claims would be.

The gov is not going to officially claim any French lands, but it wants/intends to take all of Louisiane. Likewise, we have some lands from Nova Gallia that we want so I guess we would lay claims to these. Not much else for us to claim here, seeing as how claiming to the Pacific is far too premature and I do not claim anything in Hesperia or Mexico (nor can I really for the latter).

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:01 pm

Alleniana wrote:
The Jonathanian States wrote:I am 95% so that this only applies for upper Silesia and possibly Silesia as a whole, but that lower Silesia was very germanized.

From what I can find, it was this strong Silesian identity that provoked the Prussian response of Germanising, which in turn I think was only a recent thing, considering that nationalism had only really been around since Napoleon, a few decades ago.

I only have found things that disagree with your assessment, but then again I might be suffering from confirmation bias.
Anyway:
Wikipedia wrote: Instead of awaiting the Austrian response, he marched against Silesia with an army of about 27,000 men five days later, hailed by the Protestant population.

Then there's the German Wikipedia page on Silesia, which says the following:
de.Wikipedia wrote:. Das Land war recht dünn besiedelt, und nachdem vier Fünftel der Bevölkerung durch den Mongolensturm umgekommen waren, bemühten sich die Schlesischen Piasten im 13. Jahrhundert sehr um deutsche Kolonisten, sodass bis zur Vertreibung der Deutschen 1945–1947 in Niederschlesien der größte Teil und in Oberschlesien ein nicht geringer Teil der Gebiete eine deutsche Bevölkerungsmehrheit hatte.

In a rough translation: "The area was thinly populated, and after 80% of the population was killed by the Mongols, in the 13th century the Silesia Piasts tried hard to encourage German colonists, meaning that until the removal of the Germans '45-'47 most parts of Lower Silesia and not insignificant parts of Upper Silesia had German majorities.

From the same page:
In der Zeit des Kaiserreichs waren in Schlesien die deutsche und die polnische bzw. die schlesische Sprache verbreitet, in Niederschlesien wurde in der Regel deutsch gesprochen, in Oberschlesien war die Bevölkerung zweisprachig (Deutsch und Schlesisch).

"In the era of the Empire the German and polish/Silesian language were spoken in Silesia. In lower Silesia people usually spoke German, while in Upper Silesia the population was bi-lingual."
While this isn't specifically this era it does indicate that there was a difference between the two parts of Silesia.

Later on there's this:
Der Einfall mongolischer Heere im Jahre 1241 in Schlesien und die mit ihm verbundene Verwüstung des Landes sowie die daraus resultierende massive Dezimierung der slawischen Bevölkerung auf ein Fünftel schufen die strukturellen Voraussetzungen zur Neubesiedlung des Gebiets mit deutschen Siedlern aus dem Heiligen Römischen Reich. Bereits Herzog Heinrich I. und seine Frau Hedwig von Andechs hatten zu Beginn des 13. Jahrhunderts deutsche Ostsiedler nach Schlesien gerufen, um die wirtschaftliche Leistungskraft des Herzogtums zu heben. Nach dem Mongolensturm erfolgte die von den Schlesischen Piasten initiierte Deutsche Ostkolonisation jedoch auf breiter Basis. Die deutschen Siedler gründeten mehr als 100 neue Städte und über 1200 Dörfer ....

Die Bevölkerung wuchs auf mindestens das Fünffache.

"The Mongol invasion of Silesia in 1241 and the destruction it caused, as well the massive decimation of the slavic population to a fifth caused by it, led to the requirements for the settlement of the area with german settlers from the HRE.
Already duke Henry I and his wife Hedwig of Silesia called german settlers to Silesia in the beginning of the 13th century in order to raise the economic capabilities. But after the Mongols the Silesian Piasts initiated the german colonization on a broad basis. The german settlers founded over a 100 new cities and over 1200 villages"

Now here is the part that really interests me, specifically the first sentence of this paragraph, which originally follows immediately to the above (which I copied solely in order to provide context)
Die Bevölkerung wuchs auf mindestens das Fünffache. Schlesien war jahrhundertelang eine Brücke zwischen West und Ost sowie zwischen Nord und Süd. Ab 1249 zerfiel das Herzogtum Schlesien und ab 1281 das Herzogtum Oppeln in zeitweilig mehr als ein Dutzend kleine, miteinander im Bruderkrieg liegende piastische schlesische Herzogtümer.

"The population grew by at least 5 times. Silesia was for hundreds of years the bridge between north and south as well as east and west. From 1249 and 1281 respectively the duchies of Silesia and of Opole split into more than a dozen small, feuding Piast-Silesian duchies."
Considering that it mostly continues rather proximate to the previous paragraph, I believe this growth to be based on that settlement

Supporting at least the first of these, I found on the English wiki:
Wikipedia wrote:Promoted by the Lower Silesian Duke Henry I the Bearded, from 1230 also regent over Upper Silesia for the minor sons of his late cousin Duke Casimir I of Opole, large parts of the Silesian lands were settled with German immigrants in the course of the Ostsiedlung, establishing numerous cities according to German town law.

And on that same page, under the title "Bohemia, Austria und Prussia", there's this:
By the mid-14th century, the influx of German settlers into Upper Silesia was stopped by the Black Death pandemic. Unlike in Lower Silesia, the Germanization process was halted; still a majority of the population spoke Polish and Silesian as their native language, often together with German (Silesian German) as a second language. In the southernmost areas, also Lach dialects were spoken. While Latin, Czech and German language were used as official languages in towns and cities, only in the 1550s (during the Protestant Reformation) did records with Polish names start to appear.

The main thing of interest here is that supposedly in Lower Silesia the Germanization did not halt by the mid-14th century, supporting my claim.

Sadly the page for Lower Silesia seems to be a lot less detailed.
I did find here:
The Seven Years' War (1756–1763) once again confirmed Prussian control over most of Silesia, and due to its predominantly Protestant population especially in Lower Silesia, it became one of the most loyal territories of the House of Hohenzollern.

Something that indicates Silesia being rather Protestant. While it obviously doesn't require it being German, I assume it is at least related in part.

There theoretically seems to be some agreement to part of the above in the English article on the Ostsiedlung, but it seems to lack citations left, right, and center.
Wikipedia wrote:Silesia was ruled by the local Piast dynasty. The country at this time was sparsely populated with small hamlets and altogether not more than 150.000 people.[citation needed] Castles with adjacent suburbias were the centre of commerce, administration, crafts and the church. The most important of these cities, most often the seat of a duke, were Wrocław, Legnica, Opole and Racibórz. The country was fortified by the so-called Preseka, a system of dense forests.[citation needed]

The Ostsiedlung in Silesia was initiated by Bolesław I, who spent a part of his life in Germany, and especially by his son Henry I and whose wife Hedwig in the late 12th century.[citation needed] They became the first Slavic sovereigns outside of the Holy Roman Empire to promote German settlements on a wide base.[citation needed] Both began to invite German settlers in order to develop their realm economically and to extend their rule.[citation needed] Already in 1175 Bolesław I founded Lubensis abbey and staffed the monastery with German monks from Pforta Abbey in Saxony. Before 1163, the abbey had been inhabited by German Benedictines.[citation needed] The Cistercian abbey, its domain and the German settlers were excluded from local legislation and subsequently the monks founded several German villages on their soil. During Henry I reign the systematic settlement began. In a complex system a network of towns was founded in the western and southwestern parts of Silesia. These towns, economic and judicial centers, were surrounded by standardized built villages which were often constructed on a cleared spot in the forests. The earliest German land clearing area in Silesia appeared from 1147 until 1200 in the area of Złotoryja (Goldberg) and Lwówek Śląski (Löwenberg), two settlements founded by German miners.[citation needed] Goldberg and Löwenberg were also the first Silesian cities to receive German town law in 1211 and 1217.[citation needed] This pattern of colonization was soon adopted in all other, already populated, parts of Silesia, were cities with German town law were often founded beside Slavic settlements.[citation needed]

In the early 14th century Silesia possessed ca. 150 towns and the population more than quintupled.[citation needed] The townspeople were Germans, which now formed the majority of the overall population, while the Slavs usually lived outside of the cities.[citation needed] In a process of peaceful assimilation Lower and Middle Silesia became organically Germanized on the West bank of Oder while Upper Silesia retained a Slavic majority, although also there German villages, German towns and increasing German agricultural cultivation of barren lands came into existence.[citation needed]

No disagreements here. I do recall you also offering Holstein, though, and depending on how you define Schleswig it likely is German in large parts (or even in a majority?).

Eh, Schleswig is the Danish speaking part, Holstein is the German speaking part. So there. :P

That's why Schleswig got partitioned into a German and a danish part, right?
Wikipedia on the Schleswig-Holstein Question wrote:German had been the language of government in Schleswig and Holstein while more-or-less independent Dukes ruled, and stayed so; and had been a language of government of the kingdom of Denmark in several eras. Since the Lutheran Reformation, German had been dominant in church and schools, and Danish was the dominant language among the peasantry in Schleswig.

The Low German dialect was the language of all of Holstein. During the centuries following the Middle Ages, Low German had come to dominate in Southern Schleswig, which had originally been predominantly Danish-speaking. The Danish language still dominated in Northern Schleswig. Around 1800, German and Danish were spoken in approximately equal proportions throughout what is now Central Schleswig.

The German language had been slowly spreading at the expense of Danish in previous centuries: for example, Danish was still spoken on the peninsula of Schwansen around 1780 (the last known use of Danish was in the villages near the Schlei), but then became extinct.

The language border in the nineteenth century conformed approximately to the current border between Denmark and Germany[citation needed].

It was clear that Danish dominance in Schleswig was vulnerable and weakening. Through its vigorous economic activity, the ethnically German area to the south expanded its geographic domain. Linguistically Low German immigrants constantly arrived, and previously Danish-speaking families often came to find it convenient to change languages. The Low German language, rather than Danish, had become typical of Holstein and much of south Schleswig.

Luxembourg though, does not, and you mentioned giving away potential german claims to it.

The province, not the duchy of Luxembourg, which is French speaking through and through (well, maybe a bit Luxembourgish speaking, but that's dying)

Obviously it's not the duchy.
Now, in the grand duchy there's this:
Languages of Luxembourg wrote:Upon the founding of the country, French enjoyed the greatest prestige, and therefore gained preferential use as the official and administrative language. German was used in the political field to comment on the laws and the ordinances in order to make them comprehensible to everyone. At the primary-school level, teaching was limited to German, while French was taught in secondary education. The law of July 26, 1843, reinforced bilingualism by introducing the teaching of French in primary school.

There's also this:
At the time of the Belgian Revolution of 1830–1839, and by the 1839 Treaty establishing full independence, Luxembourg's territory was reduced by more than half, as the predominantly francophone western part of the country was transferred to Belgium.

Considering the areas speaking french were split off, I'd assume what remained did not speak french..... seem reasonable?

yiss

You have a direct interest in Austrobav and me being more equal. Your bias is bad and you should feel bad :p

:c am swiss tho[/quote]
If you were you wouldn't be for chaos :p

what is biasLOVE

Totally not something I possibly somehow possess.
Citystate republics I know of that exist here:
  • Frankfurt
  • Hamburg
  • Lübeck
  • Bremen
Of those at least the last three weren't (historically) too democratic and sided with Prussia in '66 while Frankfurt remained Confederate and am unsure of how democratic it was or was not.
That being said, none of them had significant military forces and probably would just have to side with the power that is the closest to them in order to not be annexed (See also, Frankfurt after 1866)

As for Napoleonic scraps.... it seems they cleaned away the Hohenzollerns and Neuchatel and a few Italians probably, so I guess not.

city relevant ;_;
What about the Hohenzollerns? Also, Neuchatel and stuff was earlier in history.

I mean the hohenzollern princes of the Swabian line, ancient in their lands, whom you have annexed.
But most Bohemians aren't Germans!
*cackles wildly*

I may have not considered that. There's also non-german residents in Prussia, S-H, Hannover, Lux, Switzerland, and probably a few in Carniola.
Though, I'm a bit confused about your methodology; you've added up the sub-bits of Austria?

Yes, because I wanted the things that are outside of the 30 million for Germany proper.
Why not just use the total of Austria and take away Tirol-Vorarlberg and Salzburg, which are Swiss, then add on the total of Czech Republic and Bavaria from the German files? Regarding which, did you forget Tirol, Vorarlberg and Salzburg's Swissness? :P

I may have forgotten how blatantly Switzerland was wanked here, yes. *cough*OPwhatareyoudoingOPstahp*cough*
Czech Republic/Bohemia is somewhere around 6 million, Austria is about 3.5,

According to my numbers from above those two together should add up to more than 10. So not quite.
Bavaria is about 1.5, Saxony is 1.5 (rounded up, why not),

I'll trust you and not check, because gathering the quotes for that part about Silesia was really damn annoying.
which ends up being all you need to add up, then minus Tirol/Vorarl+Salz which is 1 mil, and you're left with 11.5,

not overly generous but not miserly either.

Mhm...
But, then, all the Czechs in Bohemia, who are just finding their nationalistic feet at this time; most figures suggest nearly a third being Germans in the 20th century, so going with that (in reality, probably lower because assimilation stuff hasn't begun yet), so that cuts the 6 mil to 2 mil, leaving the total at 7.5,

I really don't want to check this, so I'll trust you. So we have 8 million for Austria.

which added to Prussia's 13 mil of which at least a couple mil must be Polish or Silesian (hell, maybe even some Lithuanians in Memel),

Highly doubt that.
There are 2,858,800 in all of Prussian Silesia. No way in hell more than a third of those was Polish/Silesian. I believe there's no chance it's right, but let's give the Polish a whole million.
As for the lithuanians:
Wikipedia on the Prussian Lithuanians wrote:In 1708, the Kingdom of Prussia was devastated by plague, especially its easternmost part, where Prussian Lithuanians lived. About 50% of Prussian Lithuanians died. To compensate for the loss, King Frederick II of Prussia invited settlers from Salzburg, the Palatinate, and Nassau to repopulate the area

The top of that same page also states:
There were 121,345 speakers of Lithuanian in the Prussian census of 1890.

So personally I think one could safely include those within the million assigned to Silesia. But generously we might make it 1,2m - leaving the German population of Prussia at roughly 11,8m
leaves us with a P-B total of less than 20 mil,

19,8 or exactly 20 mil.
even if we do tape on some more to Prussia's population.

21,8 or 22 mil.
Though, I'm still very unsure about the 45 mil figure;

It includes Austria-Bohemia, the whole German Empire, the relevant parts of Switzerland, Luxembourg, and Lichtenstein, I presented you my whole calculation and you know the source.
I see no reason to give it less credibility than a different source.
I just found "The population of the German Confederation (excluding Austria) grew 60% from 1815 to 1865, from 21,000,000 to 34,000,000." on Wikipedia, which is very useful, and which seems to very roughly corroborate it;

Austro-Bohemia was at 10 million in total, so we'd be at 50 assuming it grows at the same ratio, but that'd be a claim which I don't quite see a reason to assume.
I also don't see why the population in thirty years is quite relevant. Growth rates need not remain constant, to mention just one potential issue here.
add in the couple million Swiss,

Sure.
add in a few more Prussians (about 2.5m ethnic Germans, if I add ost and west preussen provinces),

I'm curious about that number.
add in Austria proper's 3.5, chuck in a couple extra for German Bohemians (I can only assume it means excludes Austria as in all its domains),

Sure.
add on Germans in Alsace-Lorraine, take away Danes in Schleswig-Holstein, take away Walloons in prov. Luxembourg, add on Germans scattered in central-eastern Europe, go on forever... figure ends up somewhere between 35 and 45 mil, which is lower than I initially estimated, but still over double of less than 20 mil.

Sure. Except that is 1865. And we are in 1835. You just expected Prussia and Austria to be half of the Germans 30 years into the future, including the future Prussians and Austrians in the future but not in the original count.
Basically, this was a whole useless circlejerk from the point you said "1865" and onwards.
'Twas the Czechs in Bohemia that did it :P

The czechs and you.

A) Centralized?
B) Radical?
C) Militant?
D) Let me ask what you did not answer, chaos?

A) Civil war about federalism won by centralists, also Napoleon and the non-neutrality of Switzerland afterwards
B) Not precisely, but definitely a bit strange, what with republicanism and democracy
C) The world will learn of our ways of peace... by force, if necessary! Switzerland isn't neutralising, it's preserved its old aggressive streak
D) That's OOC, I want to watch the world burn :P

A) Y'know that at least historically Switzerland wasn't even a confederation until '47, IIRC.
B) Sure.
C) Mhm.
D) Let me explain.
---------Me joking about Swiss being the most orderly of all possible germans ------->
--------------Your head------------------------------------------------------------------------>

You did make me re-read this example, though, so thanks.

The Greater Dutch Republic wrote:I believe I have found a solution. In 1672-73, Genoa occupied Savoy completely. He only reason Savoy was not annexed to Genoa was because France stepped in to broker a peace. The POD could be France not stepping in to help and Genoa annexing the Duchy of Savoy into the Republic of Genoa, which would then become Genoa-Savoy. I would change the name to reflect this.

Ew, Genoa. Also, I doubt a republic would change its name in such a dualistic fashion.

Das Germane imperie wrote:I resign my reservation of Iberia. I will probably app for Lübeck instead, but I'll not reserve it.

hohoho
Returned Nationstater -- You can leave Nationstates but Nationstates won't leave you.
Call me Jon, John, or Johnny, Jonathan or Jonnyboy, tJS and Jonathanian, with "states" or without.
This nation doesn't really represent my views and sarcasm is awesome.

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:23 pm

Posted.

The Region of Kylaris

The Gaullican Republic,

Caltarania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Caltarania » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:52 pm

Liecthenbourg wrote:Posted.

ditto

The Greater Dutch Republic
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Dutch Republic » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:25 pm

Application

Name: Most Serene Republic of Genoa and Savoy
Symbols:
Claims: 5, 33 is claimed.
Power: Little to none.

Government Structure: Unitary Oligarchic Republic officially. (in reality, a hereditary dictatorship)
Ideology/Policy: Republican
Leaders: Florestan I, Doge of Genoa, Corsica, Savoy, and Piedmont, Prince of Monaco
Capital City: Genoa

Population: 941,000
Primary Ethnic Group: North Italian
Minority Ethnic Groups: French, Swiss
Description of Ethnicity: Italian. Pretty simple.
Language: Also Italian
Religion: Roman Catholic

Foreign Relations: Good with France, Switzerland, Papal States, Tuscany, and most Italian states, bad with Milan.
Military Information: Pretty much the same as every other country
Army Size: 90,000
Navy Size: 600 sailors, 100 officers(captains, first officers, etc), 300 marine forces
Frigate Beroldo, 44 guns.
Frigate Des Geneys, 44 guns.
Corvette Euridice, 32 guns.
Frigate S. Michele, 62 guns.
Brigantine Aurora, 20 guns.
Corvette Aquila, 18 guns.
Corvette S. Giovanni, 32 guns.
Brigantine Daino, 14 guns.
Brigantine Colombo, 18 guns.
Brigantine Eridanus, 18 guns.

Economic Policy: Capitalist, Trade-based.
Economic Situation: Decent economy, Italian states were known to be rather rich due to their central position between major Mediterranean trade routes. Most money comes from trade, and the cities of Ajaccio(on Corsica) and Genoa(on the mainland) are major trade centers and ports, with Genoa being the capital and Ajaccio housing the naval headquarters.
Infrastructure: First world European infrastructure system, education could use some improvement but overall relatively good infrastructure.
Imports & Exports: Exports: Wine, Cheese(not kidding, link here), other food products, resources, ores from the Alps
Imports: Fairly self-reliant, but imports exotic foods, materials, and other luxuries from other nations.
Currency: Genovino

History:
1672: Second Genoese-Savoyard War begins. Genoa, despite being surprised by the initial attack, pushes back against Savoy and begins to occupy Savoyard land.
1673: Genoese troops siege and occupy Turin, Genoese Navy occupies Monaco, Savoy moves capital to Chambéry.
(POD)French efforts to end the war fail, and France withdraws from negotiations to focus on it's own problems at home.
1674: Genoa annexes Monaco, Genoese troops crush Savoyard troops at the Battle of Chambéry. Savoy surrenders and is annexed by Genoa.
1675-1797: Genoa and Savoy is formed as a unitary republic of both Genoa and Savoy, not much else happens.
1797-1799: Genoa-Milan War. Genoa and Milan wage war over Piedmont(Piedmont not already occupied by Savoy). Geno-Savoyard Troops crush Milan, taking Piedmont. Relations between Milan and Genoa-Savoy remain hostile, and Genoa-Savoy claims the entirety of Milan.
1800-1835: The idea of Greater Genoa-Savoy is formed(it would later be called Genoese Irridentism). Greater Genoa-Savoy includes the island of Sardinia, the Kingdom of Milan, the Crimea, Catalonian Algeria and part of Catalonian Tunisia. The Doge of Genoa and Savoy adopts the title of Prince of Monaco to his name.
Miscellaneous: Not really anything else.
RP Example:
Shogunate of Shikoku-Kanto:

The Shogun Tokugawa Tsunayoshi sat on the Chrysanthemum Throne, the throne of the Japanese people, the great throne of the united Shogunates of Shikoku and Kanto, arisen from small city-states to a grand empire. With the clang of steel on steel, the mighty Samurai of the Shogun trained outside, with boys becoming men, and, for the first time, girls becoming mighty warrior women. In a break of tradition, the Shogun had, much to the chagrin of his Advisor and constant nagging from his wife, decided to allow a small group of 10 teenage girls into the Palace to train as Samurai. They would train for a decade, until the final ritual were they would become not women, but Samurai Warriors, great soldiers of the Shogun. The Great Shogun watched as a messenger ran up to the Palace, and one of the female Samurai was asked by her trainer to deliver the message to the Shogun, as fast as possible. She ran inside, bowing before the Shogun. "Oh mighty Shogun of Shikoku, Kanto, and the Japanese people, chosen by the gods and just ruler of the United Shogunates, a message is sent for you from the Dutch, men of Europe, of the Far West". The Shogun simply raised an eyebrow before speaking. "You may rise, chosen of the Josei Samurai. You as well are chosen by the gods for a great task, of being the first of the Josei Samurai. I can only hope you prove yourself worthy. What is this message from the men of the Dutch lands? Is it for trade, or war?". The Josei Samurai, named Aino, rose, before answering. "I will prove my country and family proud, and bring honor to my family name and the Great Shogun, fifth of the mighty Tokugawa. The Dutch men speak of trade. They wish for our ports to be opened to Dutch trade. If I may input my personal opinion...". She waited for the Shoguns approval, and when he nodded, she continued. "The Dutch have a mighty navy, and we do not. We could work out an agreement with them in exchange for some things: the Japanese would open their ports to Dutch trade and agree to support the Dutch colonial effort, and in exchange the Dutch would help the Japanese build a navy in the style of Europe, and allow us to claim the islands of New Japan(Philippines) for the Shogunate. This would allow Japan to expand to a favorable extent, and give us a base for future colonization". The Shogun nodded, and added something he deemed important. "I want another letter sent to the Ainu State as well. An alliance proposition. A mutual defence pact, against threats our two nations may face". The Josei Samurai nodded, running out to tell the messenger what to write. With the clang of steel on steel, the Josei Samurai once again began to train.

To the Dutch Republic:
To the Most Honorable Willem van Outhoorn, Governor-General of the Dutch East Indies,
His Majesty, the Great Shogun of Shikoku and Kanto, Tokugawa Tsunayoshi accepts your proposal for a trade agreement, with a couple of added clauses. Shikoku-Kanto has no navy, and we desperately need one to protect our island nation from attack. Shikoku-Kanto wishes for, in exchange for the opening of Japanese ports to trade, that the Dutch help us build a navy styled after Europe. We also wish for Dutch permission to set up a colony on the islands of New Japan, what the Spaniards call "The Philippines". I expect your response soon, great nation.

To the Ainu State:
To the leader of the Ainu Peoples,
The Mighty Shogun of Shikoko-Kanto would like to propose an alliance between our two nations for the mutual defense of the Japanese Island Archipelago. This alliance would benifit out two nations because of the dual threats of China and Europeam Colonialism. I expect your response soon, great leader.
Note: The messages to the two nations originally were in boxes, but due to conflicts with the application coding, the boxes around the messages were deleted.

Done.
Last edited by The Greater Dutch Republic on Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Australian Antarctica wrote:Sorry, I was Russian to be funny. Fine, I'll Finnish with them soon enough. Unless you are Hungary for more?

Conwy-shire wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote: ... but I'm about to be executed by my teachers in school...

Rule 1. If they try to execute you, execute them back

Gyrenaica wrote:Just maybe I might not see any nukes I may or may not buy off the black market and may or may not know that I may or may not have the possible launch codes that may or may not exist for the nukes that may or may not exist.

Liecthenbourg wrote:
Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:Does anyone know the term 'invasion of red tape'?

Excessive Communist adhesive.

The Greater Dutch Republic
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Dutch Republic » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:31 pm

The Jonathanian States wrote:
The Greater Dutch Republic wrote:I believe I have found a solution. In 1672-73, Genoa occupied Savoy completely. He only reason Savoy was not annexed to Genoa was because France stepped in to broker a peace. The POD could be France not stepping in to help and Genoa annexing the Duchy of Savoy into the Republic of Genoa, which would then become Genoa-Savoy. I would change the name to reflect this.

Ew, Genoa. Also, I doubt a republic would change its name in such a dualistic fashion.

U wot m8.
And why would it not? What other name would you suggest?
Australian Antarctica wrote:Sorry, I was Russian to be funny. Fine, I'll Finnish with them soon enough. Unless you are Hungary for more?

Conwy-shire wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote: ... but I'm about to be executed by my teachers in school...

Rule 1. If they try to execute you, execute them back

Gyrenaica wrote:Just maybe I might not see any nukes I may or may not buy off the black market and may or may not know that I may or may not have the possible launch codes that may or may not exist for the nukes that may or may not exist.

Liecthenbourg wrote:
Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:Does anyone know the term 'invasion of red tape'?

Excessive Communist adhesive.

Elepis
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:44 pm

Caltarania wrote:

ditto

I shall get a post up tomorrow.

On the subject of Cyprus, how much would you pay for it (the modern Republic that is)?
Last edited by Elepis on Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Krugmar - Today at 10:00 PM
Not sure that'll work on Elepis considering he dislikes (from what I've observed):
A: Nationalism
B: Religion being taken seriously
C: The Irish"

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:51 pm

The Greater Dutch Republic wrote:
The Jonathanian States wrote:Ew, Genoa. Also, I doubt a republic would change its name in such a dualistic fashion.

U wot m8.

Venice 4lyfe.
La Serenissima forever!
And why would it not? What other name would you suggest?

Just the Genoese Republic? Or Serene Republic of Genoa?
Returned Nationstater -- You can leave Nationstates but Nationstates won't leave you.
Call me Jon, John, or Johnny, Jonathan or Jonnyboy, tJS and Jonathanian, with "states" or without.

Caltarania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Caltarania » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:04 pm

Elepis wrote:
Caltarania wrote:
ditto

I shall get a post up tomorrow.

On the subject of Cyprus, how much would you pay for it (the modern Republic that is)?

It'd be all or nothing. At the current moment I doubt there are even that many non-Greeks in Cyprus anyway.

The offer would be somewhere around a lot.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:07 pm

Caltarania wrote:

ditto

You totally should add "Königreich Griechenland" to your list of names. Also, what's the third one? Transcript?

Anyway, Glit, I answered your letter.

Caltarania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Caltarania » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:08 pm

The Jonathanian States wrote:
Caltarania wrote:
ditto

You totally should add "Königreich Griechenland" to your list of names. Also, what's the third one? Transcript?

Anyway, Glit, I answered your letter.

Yeah, 'tis.

Cyrisnia
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:17 pm

Reservation

Name of the State: Kingdom of Scandanavia
Area to be reserved: 8
Code: 635
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man
410,757,864,530 DEAD REBS

Western Pacific Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 29, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:18 pm

Cool. Is France or Austria taken?

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:19 pm

Western Pacific Territories wrote:Cool. Is France or Austria taken?

France is under reservation, Austria, well, dunno.
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:20 pm

Lunas Legion wrote:
Western Pacific Territories wrote:Cool. Is France or Austria taken?

France is under reservation, Austria, well, dunno.

There's an app currently in progress.

Western Pacific Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 29, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:21 pm

Welp then.

Reservation

Name of the State: Kingdom of Belgium.
Area to be reserved: 6. (Number on the Roster)

(Remove everything within the (round) brackets - INCLUDING THIS...)

The Kingdom of Glitter
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Kingdom of Glitter » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:31 pm

I'm waiting for a French letter before I post again btw

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:38 pm

@Finland.

In my official capacity as Vice-OP and since Columbia has delegated, I would say if you're done complaining about how the genre is going to die, I'd be happy to have you on board as Rossiya. Your app looks fairly good (though I will note it weakens Russia to a degree that was not quite true at this point), and as long as you think you can be part of the thread (not really sure what went down with you and Columbia but whatever) I think it's fine.
However, I would like it if you'd be a little less rude.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Kryskov
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryskov » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:41 pm

Reservation

Name of the State: The Kingdom of Scandinavia
Area to be reserved: 8

PreviousNext

Advertisement