NATION

PASSWORD

Tales of Two Horizons OOC-Open

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Founded: May 17, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:57 am

The Industrial States of Columbia wrote:
I don't believe that Russia is the right nation for you to play in this rp, unfortunately,

Denied

I would like a more detailed reasonin for this, or else I will just believe you know shit about Russia.
I have a severe case of addiction to writing. At least 3k words every day is my fix.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Elepis
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:58 am

Conwy-shire wrote:
Application

Name: The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies
Symbols: Black Eagle - displayed; Denser Semy Fleur de Lis - a label Gules
Claims: Nation 37, claims most of the Kingdom of Valencia and the Catalans by Bourbon succession, also claims Spain by the same descent. Claims the Temporal lands of the Papal States
Power: toes the line between tertiary and secondary powers, can project sizeable power within the Mediterranean Sea.

Government Structure: Absolute Monarchy, though liberal reforms are on the horizon
Ideology/Policy: Expansionist pressure, Internal Development (Industrialization)
Leaders: Ferdinand II de Bourbon
Capital City: Napoli

Population: 8,014,819 (wikipedia est.)
Primary Ethnic Group: Neapolitan
Minority Ethnic Groups: Sicilian, various north African
Description of Ethnicity: Italian-Dalmatian hybrid
Language: Neapolitan
Religion: Roman Catholic/secular in Italian territories - Sunni Muslims inhabit the inland areas of the African posessions

Foreign Relations:
- dynastic relations to Spain (friends)
- Ferdinand II is married to a daughter of the house of Savoie - Piedmonte (marital alliance)
- the Papal States owns a great amount of Neapolitan land (resentment)
- neutral to the Balkan states ("meh")
- ambivalent to Non-Italian Europe (opinion.exe failed to launch)
- cautious towards other Italian states (proximity = threat)
- no concrete alliances (So lonely)
- residual defensive alliance with Britain after the Defence of Sicily (Likes Brits)

Military Information: Whilst the Two Sicilies are not known for technological advancement, the state procured a lucrative deal with the English to strengthen the Italian front against Napoleonic France. Due to this, the Baker Rifle became the standard issue rifle (for rifle regiments) and Domestic production rights were soon purchased at sizeable cost to the state.

Standard infantry regiments use a local musket variant similar to the "Long Land Musket". Standing soldier quality is slightly above par, with irregular units boasting regionally acclaimed marksmanship aided by the Neapolitan variant Baker Rifle.

The Neapolitan Navy is not blue-water operational, but does operate in a green-water capacity - this allows it to project suitable power inside the Mediterranean theatre.
Army Size:
~62,000 professional standing soldiers; able to conscript the same number under duress
Army:
The Sicilian Army operates within 5 Companies (3 Infantry Companies, 1 Mounted Company, and 1 Mobile Battery Company) of 12,400 men each. The 5 companies serve as the master-pool of all professional soldiers, but when operating in theatre an army group is created utilising Divisions from each company.
1st Infantry Company:
Comprised of Sicilian Nationals, the 1st Infantry Company serves as the prestigious elite force of the Sicilian Army. The 1st Infantry Company is made up of:
- The Angevin Guard (250 men), The King's Personal Guard
- The New Model Guard (750 men), Ceremonial Guard - Honorary positions
- The 1st Line Infantry Division (3,000 men), Line Infantry
- The 1st Coastal Division (2,400 men), stationed in Apulia
- The 2nd Line infantry Division (3,000 men), Line Infantry
- The Highland Fusiliers (3,000 men), stationed near Benevento

2nd Infantry Company:
Comprised mainly of Sicilian and northern Italian soldiers, the 2nd Infantry Company serves as the mainstay of the Sicilian Army, protecting Sicilian interests closer to the cities and towns. The Company includes:
- The Calabrian Fusiliers (3,000 men), Line Infantry
- The 1st Foot Guard (2,000 men), "Heavy" Line Infantry
- The 2nd Foot Guard (2,000 men), "Heavy" Line Infantry
- The 2nd Coastal Division (2,400 men), serves in Syracuse
- The Neapolitan Fusiliers (3,000 men), Line Infantry

3rd Infantry Company:
The bulk of Sicilian power projection is undertaken by the 3rd Infantry Company, which is comprised mainly of African and foreign soldiers. The 3rd Infantry Company is not used as canon fodder however they usually fight on the frontline and sustain more casualties than the other companies due to a lack in equipment/training standards. It is comprised of:
- The Tripolitanian Fusiliers (3,000 men), skirmishers
- The 3rd Line Infantry Division (3,000 men), Line Infantry
- The 3rd Coastal Division (2,400 men), stationed in Tripoli
- The Sicilian Foreign Legion (1,000 men), line infantry formation
- The Tripolitanian Militia (3,000 men), Desert-conditioned skirmishers

Mounted Company:
Whilst The Sicilian army is more infantry-based they still hold a rigid cavalry tradition from their Angevin and (i suppose) Norman national heritage. The Company mainly operates in 2 halves, in Mezzogiorno and Tripoli, they are comprised of:
- The 1st Sicilian Hussar Regiment (2,000 Hussars), serving in Calabria
- The 1st Winged Lancers Regiment (2,500 Lancers), serving in Calabria
- The 1st Sicilian Dragoons (3,900 Dragoons), serving in Tripoli
- The 1st African Light Horse Division (4,000 Light horse), serving in Tripoli

Mobile Battery Company:
The newest and most experimental of the Sicilian Companies, the Mobile battery Company serves as a heavy support battery during a ranged engagement. Whilst most members are Sicilian there are some Africans serving in increasingly important roles, the Battery Company is comprised of:
- The 1st Sicilian Fixed-Artillery Division (3,600 men [?] artillery pieces), operates heavy artillery pieces
- The 1st Sicilian Harquebus Corps (2,000 men), name is not indicative of equipment
- The 2nd Sicilian Fixed-Artillery Division (3,000 men [?] artillery pieces), operates medium-heavy artillery pieces
- The 1st Sicilian Mobile-Emplacement Corps (2,000 men), irregular teams with smaller and more portable pieces
- The 1st Sicilian Battle-Engineers Corps. (2,000 men), small organised teams serving alongside Infantry divisions

Navy Size:
34 rated ships
50 unrated support ships
various merchantmen

~8,000 personnel over all boards, marines and miscellaneous - press gangs comparable to that of the British RN operate on a smaller scale towards a similar goal.

Economic Policy: TAX ANYTHING THAT MOVES... and trade, heavily focused on the cultivation, supply and processing of agricultural goods
Economic Situation: incredibly agricultural (ie. backward) - Apparently had 65% of Italy's golden livres (according to the 24th PM of Italy), Industry is seeing city-growth, especially typified in the Lazzaroni class of Naples, there is widespread poverty in the hills and hinterlands, although if measured against the serfs of other countries (all of the citizens of the Two Sicilies are nominally free citizens... what a joke) they would be quite well-off
Infrastructure: OTL no railroads, TTL there is a single railroad connecting Naples to Reggio-Calabria - Naples houses many academic centres technically open to all but restricted by tuition fees. Industrial output is on a steady rise but not fast-growing. Cities, large towns and major roads are paved after some fashion, changing from region to region.
Imports & Exports:
Imports luxury goods, standard trade composites
exports agricultural goods, viticultural goods, textiles
Currency: Ducat (Two Sicilies)

History: POD 1615
- 1615: dissatisfied with the closeness of the Knights Hospitillar to the French, along with continued failure to conform to their ecclesiastical ideals, the king of spain revokes the Monastic Order's grant of land, seizing the island of Malta and the lands around Tripoli before incorporating them into the Sicilian Crown territories
- 1615-1815: little deviation from OTL
- 1815: Joachim Murat is deposed by popular support and British Intervention
- 1816: Ferdinand I is restored to the Throne and merges the kingdoms of Sicily and Naples into the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies
- 1816: Without influence from Austria, Ferdinand I is not forced to remain absolutist, rather turning to enlightened despotism
- 1825: after the uneventful reign of Ferdinand I, Francis I ascends to the throne
- 1827: Economic Reforms focused on standardisation across the two kingdoms comes into effect
- 1828: The first railroad in Italy is constructed between Naples and Reggio-Calabria, the latter of which becomes the staging grounds of the Sicilian Army
- 1830: Francis I dies, Ferdinand II ascends to the throne, delivers the ascension address promising liberal reforms
- 1832: Administrative districts are established, issuing legal doctrines such as the Rule of Law, Procedural Justice and other forms of equity
- Late 1834: An advisory chamber of deputies is set up, with elections due for early 1835 (male suffrage ayy)

Miscellaneous: Why does this exist?
RP Example: Must I really?

Technically Done

Accepted, though the railway line still makes me a little nervous :)

@ Elepsis, Accepted, you did bring it down to 12 mil though?

Si
"Krugmar - Today at 10:00 PM
Not sure that'll work on Elepis considering he dislikes (from what I've observed):
A: Nationalism
B: Religion being taken seriously
C: The Irish"

The Industrial States of Columbia
Senator

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:06 am

Finland SSR wrote:

I would like a more detailed reasonin for this, or else I will just believe you know shit about Russia.

*Amended:

I will leave the decision up to other members of the op board, but I would like to see the edits that I request ye make implemented.
Last edited by The Industrial States of Columbia on Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cobalt Network Signups-|-Cobalt Network Main Page
A Fan of Type II alternate history
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla
Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished.

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Founded: May 17, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:16 am

The Industrial States of Columbia wrote:-Second, from previous pages, the only reason you were aiming to play Russia was to force its collapse for nefarious purposes.

No.
And even then, it should have zero influence on whether or not my app is good or not.

The Industrial States of Columbia wrote:-Third, though you neglected to provide an rp sample (I requested one from you I beleive in my initial response to your app), I did look at some of the rps you have been in, you don't quite rp in the style that I would believe necissary for the Rus.

You didn't look far, it seems.

The Industrial States of Columbia wrote:-Fourth, certain messages between you and myself via tg won't help your case ;)

bitch do I look like someone who would give a damn?

Well, overall, this doesn't look like a RP I want to be in anyway. Why do I even bother with the 19th century genre? It's going to die and I don't want to help it live even a second longer.
I have a severe case of addiction to writing. At least 3k words every day is my fix.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:18 am

That certainly went well.
Stormwrath wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:You people can call me...AA. Or Alt.
Or Tito.

I'm calling you "non-aligned comrade."

A proud Nationalist
Winner for Best War RP of 2016

Senator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:18 am

Finland SSR wrote:
The Industrial States of Columbia wrote:-Second, from previous pages, the only reason you were aiming to play Russia was to force its collapse for nefarious purposes.

No.
And even then, it should have zero influence on whether or not my app is good or not.

The Industrial States of Columbia wrote:-Third, though you neglected to provide an rp sample (I requested one from you I beleive in my initial response to your app), I did look at some of the rps you have been in, you don't quite rp in the style that I would believe necissary for the Rus.

The Industrial States of Columbia wrote:-Fourth, certain messages between you and myself via tg won't help your case ;)

Well, overall, this doesn't look like a RP I want to be in anyway. Why do I even bother with the 19th century genre? It's going to die and I don't want to help it live even a second longer.

Nay, probably should have looked further ;)

Anywho, I will leave the decision up to the rest of the op board, my opinion on the matter is muddled.
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla
Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished.

Caltarania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Caltarania » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:20 am

If it's not too great a hassle, I'd like to switch my reservation from Japan to Hellas.

Reservation

Name of the State: Kingdom of Hellas
Area to be reserved: 41
Code: 635
I'M FROM KYLARIS, AND I'M HERE TO HELP!

Senator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:21 am

Caltarania wrote:If it's not too great a hassle, I'd like to switch my reservation from Japan to Hellas.

Reservation

That shall be fine, Noted
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:22 am

Caltarania wrote:If it's not too great a hassle, I'd like to switch my reservation from Japan to Hellas.

Reservation

No Japan means no potential ally to fight Song...

please send halp...
Stormwrath wrote:
Or Tito.

A proud Nationalist

Caltarania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Caltarania » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:25 am

Altito Asmoro wrote:

Reservation

No Japan means no potential ally to fight Song...

please send halp...

sns

Caltarania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Caltarania » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:58 am

Application

Name: Kingdom of Hellas | Βασίλειον τῆς Ἑλλάδος | Vasílion tis Elládos
Symbols: Flag, Coat of Arms, Motto, Anthem
Claims: 41; Lays claim to Crete, the Aegean Islands, Cyprus, Epirus, Thrace, Constantinople, Western Anatolia and other areas with Greek populations.
Power: Regional power. Hellas is only really relevant in the Balkan region.

Government Structure: Absolute monarchy
Ideology/Policy: Greek nationalism, Conservatism, Megali Idea
Leaders: Queen Alexandrine of Hohenzollern | Prime Minister Spyridon Trikoupis
Capital City: Athens

Population: 3,000,000
Primary Ethnic Group: Greek
Minority Ethnic Groups: Jews, Bulgarians, Romani, Turks
Description of Ethnicity: The Greeks are a proud people who speak the Greek language. Having founded many modern western values, the people of Hellas pride themselves on their artistic and philosophical history.
Language: Greek
Religion: Orthodox Christianity

Foreign Relations:
Friendly:
  • Prussia, due to the shared dynasty.
  • Mamelukes, due to the shared enemy in Anatolia.
  • Hungary, due to shared Balkan enemies.
Cordial:
  • Britain and France, due to support in the Second Independence War.
  • Russia, due to religion and shared animosity towards the Turks.
Neutral:
  • Bulgaria and Serbia.
  • Naples, the Papacy, Milan, Florence.
  • Most other states.
Tense:
  • Epirus, due to conflicting claims.
Hostile:
  • Sultanate of Rum, due to conflicting claims and hostile history.
  • Venice, due to the perceived unjust occupation of Crete and the Aegean islands.
Military Information: Due to the country's small population and precarious position, the Greek military has had to take unconventional approaches to the defence of the country. Hellas has a small professional military force (known as the Σπαρτιατικού Στρατός / Spartiatikoú Stratós or 'Spartan Army') of around 300 personnel, whom are extremely well trained and equipped with modern Prussian weaponry due to the good relations between the two countries. These troops are led by officers who have been drilled by Prussian professionals, further increasing their quality. There are also about 30,000 Greeks who serve in the more conventional army, which is known as Ελληνική Δωρεάν Στρατού / Ellinikí Doreán Stratoú, or the 'Greek Free Army'. These troops are less well trained and are equipped with older Prussian equipment, though are battle hardened and led by Prussian-trained officers. Furthermore, there is the 150,000 strong reserve army (Στρατός του Αποθεματικά / Stratós tou Apothematiká, 'Army of Reserves'), which can be called up at any time of emergency and are equipped with weaponry in order to fight any potential invaders. The Greek navy is mostly made up of non-military ships which can be called into service at any time, though there are a growing number of ships built purely for military purposes. Hellas has one ship of the line, gifted to the Queen personally by Britain after the Second Independence War, and it is known as the Aristotle.
Army Size:
Σπαρτιατικού Στρατός | Spartiatikoú Stratós | Spartan Army: 300
Ελληνική Δωρεάν Στρατού | Ellinikí Doreán Stratoú | Greek Free Army: 30,000
Στρατός του Αποθεματικά | Stratós tou Apothematiká | Army of Reserves: 150,000
Navy Size:
Ελληνικό Πολεμικό Ναυτικό | Ellinikó Polemikó Naftikó | Greek Navy: 1 SotL (94 gunner), 4 Frigates, 2 Sloops, 20 Galleys

Economic Policy: Mostly free trade, with some mercantilism present. Industrialization has begun to be attempted.
Economic Situation: The Greek economy is mostly agriculture and wine based, though there are a growing number of factories in the country which have been built through investment from Prussia, Britain and the other powers.
Infrastructure: Railways are rare. The country is connected through a mostly efficient roadway system.
Imports & Exports: Imports most industrial goods, military equipment and raw materials. Exports wine, agricultural produce and other non-industrial goods.
Currency: Greek drachma (₯)

History: 1453 - Constantinople falls to the Turkish hordes.
1454 - Constantinople is reconquered by an alliance of Balkan states, Venetians and the Morean League.
1455 - Bickering between the victorious factions leads to an indecisive end to the war.
1459 - The short-lived Morean League breaks down, and the various members go their separate ways.
1520 - The divided Greek states come under attack from the Sultanate of Rum.
1524 - The Last independent Greek state - the Kingdom of Athens - is conquered by the Sultanate of Rum.
1590 - Under Turkish control, Greece undergoes a period of change. Turkish immigrants arrive to settle Greece, creating tensions with the locals.
1612 - Hopeful after the successful Hungarian war against the Turks, the First Independence War begins, with the Greeks taking up arms against the Turks.
1614 - After a long, drawn out and bloody struggle, the First Independence War ends in failure.
1751 - With the successful Mamluke invasion of Rum, the Sultanate founds the Free Greek Corps; several autonomous regiments within the Sultanate's army. These new regiments serve with great distinction during many of the Sultanate's wars, and are greatly revered as heroes of the Sultanate.
1827 - The Free Greek Corps, along with several other Greek rebels, lead a rebellion against the Sultanate of Rum, which would come to be known as the Second Independence War.
1828 - In dire need of aid, the Greek rebels ask their Christian kin in Europe for help against the Turks. Prussia agrees to arm the rebels, with Britain and France agreeing to provide tactic and diplomatic backing to the rebels and their new state.
1829 - The Sultanate of Rum admits defeat, and the Treaty of Budapest is signed. The treaty established the Kingdom of Greece as a sovereign state, granting it much of the majority Greek territory in the Sultanate, though the full extent of the rebel's demands were not met. In exchange for their support during the war, Prussia requested to have a Hohenzollern take the throne of the new kingdom, and so King Frederick's daughter - Princess Alexandrine - took the throne, aged only 26. The new Kingdom signed a treaty of alliance with the Kingdom of Prussia, and promised to protect British and French interests in both the Balkans and the Near East.
Miscellaneous: nah
RP Example: S'll this do?
Last edited by Caltarania on Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:10 am, edited 7 times in total.

Alleniana
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:03 am

The Jonathanian States wrote:
Alleniana wrote:IIRC Silesia was considered indubitably culturally Polish at this point in time,

I am 95% so that this only applies for upper Silesia and possibly Silesia as a whole, but that lower Silesia was very germanized.

From what I can find, it was this strong Silesian identity that provoked the Prussian response of Germanising, which in turn I think was only a recent thing, considering that nationalism had only really been around since Napoleon, a few decades ago.
Posen more obviously so. Schleswig is Danish populated,

No disagreements here. I do recall you also offering Holstein, though, and depending on how you define Schleswig it likely is German in large parts (or even in a majority?).

Eh, Schleswig is the Danish speaking part, Holstein is the German speaking part. So there. :P
Belgium only has a very small German minority so the rest is fine to give away,

Luxembourg though, does not, and you mentioned giving away potential german claims to it.

The province, not the duchy of Luxembourg, which is French speaking through and through (well, maybe a bit Luxembourgish speaking, but that's dying)

yiss

You have a direct interest in Austrobav and me being more equal. Your bias is bad and you should feel bad :p

:c am swiss tho
what is biasLOVE
True, hmm. Perhaps some little city-states or Napoleonic scraps someone forgot to clean up?

Citystate republics I know of that exist here:
  • Frankfurt
  • Hamburg
  • Lübeck
  • Bremen
Of those at least the last three weren't (historically) too democratic and sided with Prussia in '66 while Frankfurt remained Confederate and am unsure of how democratic it was or was not.
That being said, none of them had significant military forces and probably would just have to side with the power that is the closest to them in order to not be annexed (See also, Frankfurt after 1866)

As for Napoleonic scraps.... it seems they cleaned away the Hohenzollerns and Neuchatel and a few Italians probably, so I guess not.

city relevant ;_;
What about the Hohenzollerns? Also, Neuchatel and stuff was earlier in history.

I'm pretty sure the populstat number doesn't include Austria and stuff,

True, true, I didn't consider that.
if it's doing modern Germany, and certainly I can't imagine it includes Prussia outside the German Confederation.

Borders are German Empire, so no and yes, respectively.
Wikipedia gives 29 million for GC in 1815, populstat gives considerably lower (23 mil ish), so I'd assume that at present, the population is higher.

May I ask where you found that number on populstat?
I found mine on the Germany page for the whole country, and in the notes it mentions it applying to the Imperial borders, so it should only lack Luxembourg, Switzerland, and Austro-Bohemia.
Also, that number is for 1837, so for the areas in question it might be a bit more useful.
Also, Switzerland wouldn't have been included.

I did not consider that, true.
I think a decent way is extrapolating the Wikipedia figure; whatever Germany populstat is measuring, it grew by about a third up til 1835, so if we take Wikipedia's 29 mil and increase it by a third, we get about 39 mil. Add on Switzerland proper and Prussia outside the confed, surely we've hit something up around 45 mil? I think 45 mil is a good number to use here.

We could alternatively check if there are numbers for Austria proper and Bohemia, for Luxembourg, and for the relevant swiss cantons for 1835-7.
1,409,600 + 857,600 + 187,500 + 447,100 + 380,500 + 839,800 + 4,174,200 + 2,166,600 = 10,462,900
Numbers are, respectively, Niederösterreich, Oberösterreich, Graz,Bruck, roughly half of Kärnten as it also includes the Krain, Tirol-Vorarlberg, Bohemia, Moravia-Silesia - as the Austrian subtotal.
Which actually means that the Austro-Bav pop has no way of being 10 million.
I probably should re-check my pop.... I'll have to count the millions of Prussian provinces later, for now Prussia supposedly has 15m in 1840 according to wikipedia.

7,300 + 175,200 + (2,188,000 - 58,600 - 183,600 + 58,700 - 63,200) = 2,123,800
Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, (Switzerland, Neuchatel, Vaud, Geneva, Solothurn) = Subtotal of relevant Switzerland and other areas.
In the grand total we have the German states ruling about 42,3 million people.

Let's give Prussia a conservative estimate and and say 13. Austria alone is 10, meaning that we have 23, Austria has Bavaria and some other lands not included, Prussia might be slightly higher as well.
So yes, your original claim of more than half of the German population being not in the big-two is still false.
Census'd.

But most Bohemians aren't Germans!
*cackles wildly*
I wasn't sure what borders it was using, that clears things up.
Though, I'm a bit confused about your methodology; you've added up the sub-bits of Austria? Why not just use the total of Austria and take away Tirol-Vorarlberg and Salzburg, which are Swiss, then add on the total of Czech Republic and Bavaria from the German files? Regarding which, did you forget Tirol, Vorarlberg and Salzburg's Swissness? :P
Czech Republic/Bohemia is somewhere around 6 million, Austria is about 3.5, Bavaria is about 1.5, Saxony is 1.5 (rounded up, why not), which ends up being all you need to add up, then minus Tirol/Vorarl+Salz which is 1 mil, and you're left with 11.5, not overly generous but not miserly either. But, then, all the Czechs in Bohemia, who are just finding their nationalistic feet at this time; most figures suggest nearly a third being Germans in the 20th century, so going with that (in reality, probably lower because assimilation stuff hasn't begun yet), so that cuts the 6 mil to 2 mil, leaving the total at 7.5, which added to Prussia's 13 mil of which at least a couple mil must be Polish or Silesian (hell, maybe even some Lithuanians in Memel), leaves us with a P-B total of less than 20 mil, even if we do tape on some more to Prussia's population.

Though, I'm still very unsure about the 45 mil figure; I just found "The population of the German Confederation (excluding Austria) grew 60% from 1815 to 1865, from 21,000,000 to 34,000,000." on Wikipedia, which is very useful, and which seems to very roughly corroborate it; add in the couple million Swiss, add in a few more Prussians (about 2.5m ethnic Germans, if I add ost and west preussen provinces), add in Austria proper's 3.5, chuck in a couple extra for German Bohemians (I can only assume it means excludes Austria as in all its domains), add on Germans in Alsace-Lorraine, take away Danes in Schleswig-Holstein, take away Walloons in prov. Luxembourg, add on Germans scattered in central-eastern Europe, go on forever... figure ends up somewhere between 35 and 45 mil, which is lower than I initially estimated, but still over double of less than 20 mil.

'Twas the Czechs in Bohemia that did it :P
A centralised, radical, militant Switzerland :P

A) Centralized?
B) Radical?
C) Militant?
D) Let me ask what you did not answer, chaos?

A) Civil war about federalism won by centralists, also Napoleon and the non-neutrality of Switzerland afterwards
B) Not precisely, but definitely a bit strange, what with republicanism and democracy
C) The world will learn of our ways of peace... by force, if necessary! Switzerland isn't neutralising, it's preserved its old aggressive streak
D) That's OOC, I want to watch the world burn :P
Finland SSR wrote:

No.

>
>
>
le empty memes

Hey, Columbia, could you look through my app to see that everything is well? All's done but history, which is perhaps halfway written and mostly researched.
Last edited by Alleniana on Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Greater Dutch Republic
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Dutch Republic » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:44 am

I believe I have found a solution. In 1672-73, Genoa occupied Savoy completely. He only reason Savoy was not annexed to Genoa was because France stepped in to broker a peace. The POD could be France not stepping in to help and Genoa annexing the Duchy of Savoy into the Republic of Genoa, which would then become Genoa-Savoy. I would change the name to reflect this.
Australian Antarctica wrote:Sorry, I was Russian to be funny. Fine, I'll Finnish with them soon enough. Unless you are Hungary for more?

Conwy-shire wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote: ... but I'm about to be executed by my teachers in school...

Rule 1. If they try to execute you, execute them back

Gyrenaica wrote:Just maybe I might not see any nukes I may or may not buy off the black market and may or may not know that I may or may not have the possible launch codes that may or may not exist for the nukes that may or may not exist.

Liecthenbourg wrote:
Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:Does anyone know the term 'invasion of red tape'?

Excessive Communist adhesive.

Senator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:46 am

looking good so far All
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla

Caltarania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Caltarania » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:52 am

Fairly certain my app (about 4 posts above) is ready now. :D

Senator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:54 am

Caltarania wrote:Fairly certain my app (about 4 posts above) is ready now. :D

Accepted
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla

Caltarania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Caltarania » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:54 am

Caltarania wrote:Fairly certain my app (about 4 posts above) is ready now. :D

Accepted

yay :hug:

Elepis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:56 am

Caltarania wrote:
Application

Name: Kingdom of Hellas | Βασίλειον τῆς Ἑλλάδος | Vasílion tis Elládos
Symbols: Flag, Coat of Arms, Motto, Anthem
Claims: 41; Lays claim to Crete, the Aegean Islands, Cyprus, Epirus, Thrace, Constantinople, Western Anatolia and other areas with Greek populations.
Power: Regional power. Hellas is only really relevant in the Balkan region.

Government Structure: Absolute monarchy
Ideology/Policy: Greek nationalism, Conservatism, Megali Idea
Leaders: Queen Alexandrine of Hohenzollern | Prime Minister Spyridon Trikoupis
Capital City: Athens

Population: 753,400
Primary Ethnic Group: Greek
Minority Ethnic Groups: Jews, Bulgarians, Romani, Turks
Description of Ethnicity: The Greeks are a proud people who speak the Greek language. Having founded many modern western values, the people of Hellas pride themselves on their artistic and philosophical history.
Language: Greek
Religion: Orthodox Christianity

Foreign Relations:
Friendly:
  • Prussia, due to the shared dynasty.
  • Mamelukes, due to the shared enemy in Anatolia.
  • Hungary, due to shared Balkan enemies.
Cordial:
  • Britain and France, due to support in the Second Independence War.
  • Russia, due to religion and shared animosity towards the Turks.
Neutral:
  • Bulgaria and Serbia.
  • Naples, the Papacy, Milan, Florence.
  • Most other states.
Tense:
  • Epirus, due to conflicting claims.
Hostile:
  • Sultanate of Rum, due to conflicting claims and hostile history.
  • Venice, due to the perceived unjust occupation of Crete and the Aegean islands.
Military Information: Due to the country's small population and precarious position, the Greek military has had to take unconventional approaches to the defence of the country. Hellas has a small professional military force (known as the Σπαρτιατικού Στρατός / Spartiatikoú Stratós or 'Spartan Army') of around 300 personnel, whom are extremely well trained and equipped with modern Prussian weaponry due to the good relations between the two countries. These troops are led by officers who have been drilled by Prussian professionals, further increasing their quality. There are also about 8,000 Greeks who serve in the more conventional army, which is known as Ελληνική Δωρεάν Στρατού / Ellinikí Doreán Stratoú, or the 'Greek Free Army'. These troops are less well trained are equipped with older Prussian equipment, though are battle hardened and led by Prussian-trained officers. Furthermore, there is the 35,000 strong reserve army (Στρατός του Αποθεματικά / Stratós tou Apothematiká, 'Army of Reserves'), which can be called up at any time of emergency and are equipped with weaponry in order to fight any potential invaders. The Greek navy is mostly made up of non-military ships which can be called into service at any time, though there are a growing number of ships built purely for military purposes. Hellas has one ship of the line, gifted to the Queen purposely by Britain after the Second Independence War, and it is known as the Aristotle.
Army Size:
Σπαρτιατικού Στρατός | Spartiatikoú Stratós | Spartan Army: 300
Ελληνική Δωρεάν Στρατού | Ellinikí Doreán Stratoú | Greek Free Army: 8,000
Στρατός του Αποθεματικά | Stratós tou Apothematiká | Army of Reserves: 35,000
Navy Size:
Ελληνικό Πολεμικό Ναυτικό | Ellinikó Polemikó Naftikó | Greek Navy: 1 SotL (94 gunner), 4 Frigates, 2 Sloops, 20 Galleys

Economic Policy: Mostly free trade, with some mercantilism present. Industrialization has begun to be attempted.
Economic Situation: The Greek economy is mostly agriculture and wine based, though there are a growing number of factories in the country which have been built through investment from Prussia, Britain and the other powers.
Infrastructure: Railways are rare. The country is connected through a mostly efficient roadway system.
Imports & Exports: Imports most industrial goods, military equipment and raw materials. Exports wine, agricultural produce and other non-industrial goods.
Currency: Greek drachma (₯)

History: 1453 - Constantinople falls to the Turkish hordes.
1454 - Constantinople is reconquered by an alliance of Balkan states, Venetians and the Morean League.
1455 - Bickering between the victorious factions leads to an indecisive end to the war.
1459 - The short-lived Morean League breaks down, and the various members go their separate ways.
1520 - The divided Greek states come under attack from the Sultanate of Rum.
1524 - The Last independent Greek state - the Kingdom of Athens - is conquered by the Sultanate of Rum.
1590 - Under Turkish control, Greece undergoes a period of change. Turkish immigrants arrive to settle Greece, creating tensions with the locals.
1612 - Hopeful after the successful Hungarian war against the Turks, the First Independence War begins, with the Greeks taking up arms against the Turks.
1614 - After a long, drawn out and bloody struggle, the First Independence War ends in failure.
1751 - With the successful Mamluke invasion of Rum, the Sultanate founds the Free Greek Corps; several autonomous regiments within the Sultanate's army. These new regiments serve with great distinction during many of the Sultanate's wars, and are greatly revered as heroes of the Sultanate.
1827 - The Free Greek Corps, along with several other Greek rebels, lead a rebellion against the Sultanate of Rum, which would come to be known as the Second Independence War.
1828 - In dire need of aid, the Greek rebels ask their Christian kin in Europe for help against the Turks. Prussia agrees to arm the rebels, with Britain and France agreeing to provide tactic and diplomatic backing to the rebels and their new state.
1829 - The Sultanate of Rum admits defeat, and the Treaty of Budapest is signed. The treaty established the Kingdom of Greece as a sovereign state, granting it much of the majority Greek territory in the Sultanate, though the full extent of the rebel's demands were not met. In exchange for their support during the war, Prussia requested to have a Hohenzollern take the throne of the new kingdom, and so King Frederick's daughter - Princess Alexandrine - took the throne, aged only 26. The new Kingdom signed a treaty of alliance with the Kingdom of Prussia, and promised to protect British and French interests in both the Balkans and the Near East.
Miscellaneous: nah
RP Example: S'll this do?

If their was a rebellion against Rum, Egypt would have sent soldier or ships to help you out, as well as calling on Muslims not to serve in the Sultan's armies (the leader of Egypt is the Caliph btw). A second front might even have been opened in Anatolia
Not sure that'll work on Elepis considering he dislikes (from what I've observed):

Caltarania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Caltarania » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:02 am

@Elepis; We could probably avoid that by the fact that the Greek rebels likely committed numerous atrocities against Muslims in Greece, which would probably dissuade the Mamlukes from associating with the rebels. If you really feel it necessary to support the rebels, then I can add it in, though any sort of direct military action would probably be met with annoyance by Britain and France.

Elepis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:06 am

Caltarania wrote:@Elepis; We could probably avoid that by the fact that the Greek rebels likely committed numerous atrocities against Muslims in Greece, which would probably dissuade the Mamlukes from associating with the rebels. If you really feel it necessary to support the rebels, then I can add it in, though any sort of direct military action would probably be met with annoyance by Britain and France.

Good point, a Caliph wouldn't like that.

Egypt was with Greece in spirit then :p

Das Germane imperie
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Das Germane imperie » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:08 am

I resign my reservation of Iberia. I will probably app for Lübeck instead, but I'll not reserve it.

Caltarania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Caltarania » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:12 am

Elepis wrote:
Caltarania wrote:@Elepis; We could probably avoid that by the fact that the Greek rebels likely committed numerous atrocities against Muslims in Greece, which would probably dissuade the Mamlukes from associating with the rebels. If you really feel it necessary to support the rebels, then I can add it in, though any sort of direct military action would probably be met with annoyance by Britain and France.

:P

Hokay dokey.

Sell Cyprus pl0x.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:22 am

Netherlands, gib australia plox.
Stormwrath wrote:
Or Tito.

A proud Nationalist

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:24 am

Caltarania wrote:
Elepis wrote:

:P

Hokay dokey.

Sell Cyprus pl0x.

I'll buy Cyprus for more than the Greeks will give.

Altito Asmoro wrote:Netherlands, gib australia plox.

I'll buy Australia for more than he's going to, too.
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919
Grand-Master of the Kyluminati

The Region of Kylaris
I'm just a simple Kylarite, trying to make my way on NS.

The Gaullican Republic,
I thank God for Three Things:
Kylaris, the death of Esquarium, and Prem <3

The Transtsabaran Federation and The Chistovodian Workers' State

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

The Kingdom of Glitter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Kingdom of Glitter » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:24 am

Louisiane aka Western Columbia.

*nods*

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse