NATION

PASSWORD

Darkness Behind the Stars (PMT, FT, Post Apoc. ) OOC

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Founded: May 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Darkness Behind the Stars (PMT, FT, Post Apoc. ) OOC

Postby Adventus Secundus » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:18 pm

<Entry1>

Madness rose from the seas and fell from the skies on impossible wings.

The Elder Gods have awoken. Cthulhu no longer sleeps among the stones of Ry'leh beneath the sea. He wakes. Men go mad as his reign on earth approaches. Dancing and murder in the streets. Wailing and the sound of drums in the hills as strange thirsts awake in the human heart. Cthulhu f'taghn! Ah, the cities burn!

Wicked dreams come to life in the hills and hollow places. From witch to demon to werewolf, there is no nightmare of mankind that has not emerged to haunt us. Our weapons are useless and our faculties are slipping.

<Entry2>

The messages flood the datanets. From the darkness behind the stars abominations ooze forth, descending on the glittering belt of the Milky Way like hungry beasts drawn to flame. Creatures the size of planets, of battleships. The far-flung descendants of Terra fall one by one, as do our enemies. Our allies.

Time shifts. Azathoth stirs in his sleep, to the ruin of us all. Ia! Ia!

More and more forget the lie that is light. Hope. Goodness. Far warmer and more real are the flames of madness. Serve our new Masters, and suffering becomes delight.

................................................ <<Static>>..............................................................

Arc 1: the Quest for Light

Hello. Welcome to the Darkness Behind the Stars, a Lovecraft inspired survival-horror RP where YOU can be...pretty much anything.

Darkness has descended on the galaxy. Civilizations have fallen, or gone over wholesale to serve the Elder Gods, abominable monsters from beyond. Hell has come to Earth. Hell, it's come to the entire galaxy.

New kingdoms arise as entire species turn en-masse to worship the Darkness from Beyond. Those few who cling to hope and Light are on the run, scattered and few. Everything they know has been subverted, or destroyed. Monsters lurk in every shadow as darkness falls. Their only hope is a prophecy of Heaven's Gate....a device aeons-lost that could usher in the Light.

Their foes are numerous and powerful. They will stop at nothing to ensure their own victory.

You will play as a character (a single survivor or the leader of a small group if you serve the Light, Characters aligned with Darkness may control larger factions/civilizations) who is making their way in this new world. Survivors will start near each other so they can meet, work together, and have a fighting chance as they journey across this dark universe.
Cultists, monsters, etc....we shall play it by ear.

Have fun with this. You can be an eldritch monster (anything from Lovecraft to Werewolves to Lych Kings to planet-eating swarms of space squid...the sky is the limit) or a survivor from any modern to Future tech nation seeking to avenge and restore what was lost. Or just someone trying to survive.

If you stay IC with your own nation, you can RP your nation's fall or subversion to the Darkness. It's a galactic apocalypse folks. Barrels of fun.

Good writing. No God-moddery, unless you are a god, and focus on telling a story, not measuring your weenus.

Here is the character App:

Code: Select all

Character's Name:
Group size (More than 3, TG me):
Character's Age:
Items that Character currently has (for survivors, that means weapons, vehicles, armor, food to last how long):
Light? Darkness? Neutral?
Appearance:
Backstory:

Code: Select all
If applying to lead a Cultist Faction/Kingdom of Darkness

Faction Name:
Leader (fill out character app):

Got questions? Ask 'em. This is supposed to be a fun survival horror galactic apocalypse RP driven by characters. Fill out an app, have some fun.

I could also use a Co-op

ACCEPTED CHARACTERS

Bruce Campbell (Light: Republic of the Cristo)
Anacletus Marksson ( Light:Companions Caius and Vladimirius) OP

We Need more players: feel free to apply! especially those aligned with darkness!

IC IS UP!!!

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=350885&p=25657421#p25657421
Last edited by Adventus Secundus on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“The supreme function of reason is to show man that some things are beyond reason”---Blaise Pascal
"Just by being themselves, they make the best case against humanism." Luke Winkie

Constantinopolis wrote:
To paraphrase C.S. Lewis, I would choose to live as if God existed even if I knew He didn't. Either I am on the side of Life Victorious, or I am making a defiant but hopeless last stand against the all-consuming abyss. It does not really matter which it is. I am doing the right thing either way.

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:36 pm

Character's Name: Anacletus Marksson
Group size: 2
Character's Age: 21
Special Traits: Anacletus is the son of the Lord Protector of the Remnant. The Remnant is all that remains of the people and culture of Adventus Secundus, sheltering in a fortified camp where their ships landed, fleeing the darkness that had engulfed Mars and the City. They have slowly lost ground to the darkness, and their people are perishing. Anacletus has been sent out to contact human survivors and...hopefully...unite them. Anacletus is a Knights-Apprentice in the Faith Militant.

Items: Impervaluminum armor and longsword, XM Flechette Rifle, one month's ultra lightweight rations for 4, and the Condor assault vehicle.

Appearance:

Backstory: Dutiful, religiously devout, caring and dedicated. A natural leader, he often blames himself for things he cannot control and faults himself for other’s failings. When he believes something is the right thing, he will stick with it even if it doesn’t quite work. Can be insistent on the ‘right thing’ even if it alienates people.

Born five years before the fall. Anacletus never knew his mother. His father raised him with loving care, and he apprenticed as a Knight of the Faith Militant at the age of five. He witnessed the fall of the City, the destruction of the Fleet, and the Ravaging of Mars, as the Elder Gods rained down destruction on the lone planet in system that dared stand for the Light wholesale. His father, the last remaining member of the Council of Seven, escaped with him and their group. on one of the last ships.

At age thirteen he underwent the Trial of Faith* and was accepted as a full Knights-Apprentice of the Faith Militant. He displayed remarkable intelligence, fortitude, and discretion both on patrol, in battle, and in his private life. A great struggle that he often confessed to his priest was that he enjoyed killing. As he was in a battle against forces that were clearly demonic in nature and that threatened the survival of the human race, it was accounted as very little threat. But it still eats at him. At age 20 he was assigned, along with Caius and Vladimirius, two regular warriors of exceptional skill, to contact survivors and relay information to the Remains concerning their disposition and whereabouts, and to locate some area untouched by the Darkness.

Increasing the size of the Remnant to 1,000 to reflect the recent-ness of the Fall
Last edited by Adventus Secundus on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“The supreme function of reason is to show man that some things are beyond reason”---Blaise Pascal
"Just by being themselves, they make the best case against humanism." Luke Winkie

Constantinopolis wrote:
To paraphrase C.S. Lewis, I would choose to live as if God existed even if I knew He didn't. Either I am on the side of Life Victorious, or I am making a defiant but hopeless last stand against the all-consuming abyss. It does not really matter which it is. I am doing the right thing either way.

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:51 pm

Constantinopolis wrote:

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:36 pm

wait so what are the parameters?

Location, age, how long into this uprising are we?

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:42 pm

*opens mouth. Shuts it*
Good point.

So, I'd say we are about a decade and a half after the Rise of Cthulhu. Non-cultist survivors are scattered and isolated, struggling to survive. We will all start in-Sol system, and rendezvous in the former city of Portland, OR, on earth, either in each character's first or second post.

Constantinopolis wrote:

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:49 pm

Could my nation not fall? My leader is essentially a small demigod capable of localized destruction on a planetary scale, I'm thinking last outpost type deal.

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:00 pm

Yes, I don't see why not. And you are Tarsonis, so, much trust.

Constantinopolis wrote:

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:05 pm

Adventus Secundus wrote:Yes, I don't see why not. And you are Tarsonis, so, much trust.

Basically, my FT nation has one main planet, that's a veritable fortress world. thousands upon thousands of Orbital weapons platforms, surface based orbital defenses, 2 Dedicated defense fleets and 2 variable fleets, and one Flagship that with my leader aboard has a PK weapon. not to mention millions of ground troops.

All protected with an orbital shield and camouflaged. I don't do much military RP, but this seems like a good time to use it.

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:07 pm

Character's Name: Bruce Carington
Group size (More than 3, TG me): just me
Character's Age: 39
Special Traits: Very strong physically, he enters into an adrenaline rush when fighting.
Items that Character currently has (for survivors, that means weapons, vehicles, armor, food to last how long): Carries with him a pistol grip 8 gauge Mossberg 500 with around 50 shells. He also carries a 357. revolver and has two quick loaders to fit around 100 bullets. He also carries with him a snub nosed stockless MP5 with 90 rounds ( don't worry that's only 2 1/2 clips). He keeps on him a foot long short sword with a single serrated side. He carries with him also a single pineapple grenade. He carries a king James bible red letter edition. He also keeps with him a picture of his family. He travels in this Image
( imagine with a passenger seat)

He is accompanied by his dog Samson ( a 5 foot 6 inch tall Wolfhound)
Light? Darkness? Neutral?: Light
Appearance: Image

Backstory: Bruce had been a Methodist priest before the darkness. He had a wife, Delilah, with whom he had been in love with since high school. He had a son, Lawrence, whom he had been in love with since the day he was born. The family lived peacefully and happily in a mountain town in Colorado.

The darkness came upon the world when Bruce was 25 years old. He and his family would watch on TV as the elder god Chuthulhu would tear through cities and kill millions. Bruce would speak to his congregation to remain strong and to not give in to the darkness that was be searching the world, and to look towards the lord in this time of desperate need. It was not long after that some of the demons of the darkness began to come to his town. People from all over the local area would call Bruce to come and help beat them back. Dozens of Bruce's close friends were lost in those first years. By the time Bruce was 29, he was a unofficial warrior priest. When ever a denizen would come to his town, he and a group of the more hardened town inhabitants would go out to kill it, or at least drive it out of the town. At around this time, some people inside of the town had given into the madness of the darkness. A string of serial murders had occurred through the town that were committed by the insane.

By the time Bruce was 30, the town's population had dropped from 1,021 to 105. One day, a group of raiders had been spotted outside of the town burning down some of the old farmhouses and causing a general fuss. Bruce and his team had been dispatched to deal with them. When he and his team arrived however, they were immedieantly ambushed with a hail of machine gun fire. It was a brutal half hour battle that only ended when both parties spotted a massive demon walking through the mountains headed straight for Bruce's home town. Bruce, being among the 3 survivors of the scout party took one of the jeeps and tore up the road heading back to the town. By the time he had gotten there, the demon had passed and the entire town lay in ruins. His own house was burned to a char. There were no survivors present. He never found his wife and son's corpse, which is why he still holds out hope that one day he will find them. Until then, he has made it his divine mission to send the darkness back to HELL!
Last edited by Republic of the Cristo on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orthodox Christian, Nationalist, Reactionary, Stoic

(2 Kings 2:23-25): you won't be dissappointed

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:12 pm

Dude. Nice. Accepted. Might want to work on the image though. Helps to go to the original page.

Constantinopolis wrote:

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:15 pm

Adventus Secundus wrote:Dude. Nice. Accepted. Might want to work on the image though. Helps to go to the original page.

Just imagine Bruce Campbell :lol:

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:19 pm

Republic of the Cristo wrote:
Adventus Secundus wrote:Dude. Nice. Accepted. Might want to work on the image though. Helps to go to the original page.

Just imagine Bruce Campbell Ashley J. Williams :lol:

Minus the chainsaw hand
Last edited by Tarsonis Survivors on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:22 pm

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
Republic of the Cristo wrote:
Just imagine Bruce Campbell Ashley J. Williams :lol:

Minus the chainsaw hand

We could fix that :twisted:

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:23 pm

Awesome.

Also, for perusal, a list of the Eldder Gods: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu_Mythos_deities#Elder_Gods

Constantinopolis wrote:

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:25 pm

Adventus Secundus wrote:Awesome.

Also, for perusal, a list of the Eldder Gods: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu_Mythos_deities#Elder_Gods

I actually read the book. Its pretty good... Don't remember these guys though.

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:34 pm

Neither do I. Ah well.

Constantinopolis wrote:

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:42 pm

So, say if I found a random lesser demon, would my shotgun be able to kill it? What can and can't I kill and how?

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:54 pm

IC is up http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=350885&p=25657421#p25657421

A lesser demon, certainly. Or cultists. There are plenty of those. Elder Gods....they tend to require more oomph to wound or debilitate. I'm gonna have to get a kingdom of cultists going on here soon.
Last edited by Adventus Secundus on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Constantinopolis wrote:

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:58 pm

Adventus Secundus wrote:IC is up http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=350885&p=25657421#p25657421

A lesser demon, certainly. Or cultists. There are plenty of those. Elder Gods....they tend to require more oomph to wound or debilitate. I'm gonna have to get a kingdom of cultists going on here soon.

Final question. Will I be able to freely travel across the world ( with the obvious exception of raiders and demons) or will there be a sophisticated cultist nation hunting men like me down? If so where and how sophisticated?

Is this fallout or is this half-life or is this a beautiful combination?

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:18 pm

Some sort of combination. My mental picture is that the Northwest and most of the West are nearly depopulated...the Elder Gods just hit hard and then general anarchy (more of a fallout situation) whereas California (esp Southern) and the Easter Seaboard are increasingly under the dominion of Cultist factions. Europe largely destroyed whereas Asia has been very largely subverted.

Constantinopolis wrote:

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:44 pm

Are you planning on meeting my character? :roll:

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:05 am

Yes indeed. Post coming up

Constantinopolis wrote:

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:17 am

Post up.

Constantinopolis wrote:

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:17 am

Levels of foes/Basic Bestiary

This is not comprehensive. Please use your imagination.

Lesser Foes/ can be defeated by a single skilled warrior with conventional weapons:

Cultists

Vampires (not sparkle vamps please, more like this:) Image

Werewolves (Channing Tatum need not apply)

Various Eldritch Abominations: Man-size Cthulhu things, winged bat like horrors, fungoid nastiness. Anything with tentacles. Deep Ones.

Greater Foes (require considerable pounding/some sort of unconventional approach)

Shoggoths
Ghouls
Elder Things
Planetoid size monstrosities in space (unless you've got loads of firepower)

Horrors (Run! Run and hide. Pray. Find a nuke. Find an ancient relic. Hide hide hide.) :

Cthulhu (dun dun dun)
Any Elder God

Constantinopolis wrote:

Raktio
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Raktio » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:14 am

This makes me think of Warhammer 40K, a lot.
Broadside dead ahead!

No, this comment is not meant to be sarcastic.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse