NATION

PASSWORD

A Prothean Discovery (Closed)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

WHYYYY
Senator

Founded: Feb 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby WHYYYY » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:51 am

Looks good, I'll do an app soon.
Sorry moderators.

WHYYYY
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WHYYYY » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:01 am

Will all of the complex be underground? Or there would be some balconies and surface areas? And if it is underground, can radio or communication signals get out/in?
Sorry moderators.

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:02 am

WHYYYY wrote:Will all of the complex be underground? Or there would be some balconies and surface areas? And if it is underground, can radio or communication signals get out/in?

I would assume we are traveling in the picture, so above and below I would believe.
Orthodox Christian, Nationalist, Reactionary, Stoic

(2 Kings 2:23-25): you won't be dissappointed

The High Tatras
Senator

Founded: Oct 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The High Tatras » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:16 am

This sounds neat! I wish I had time to join.

For the politically "Soviet" humans mentioned in the OP, here's an atomic-powered zeppelin airship.

Last edited by The High Tatras on Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:23 am

The High Tatras wrote:This sounds neat! I wish I had time to join.

For the politically "Soviet" humans mentioned in the OP, here's an atomic-powered zeppelin airship.

Why you no join?

The High Tatras
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The High Tatras » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:23 am

Republic of the Cristo wrote:

Why you no join?

I'm already involved in two other RPs.

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:26 am

The High Tatras wrote:
Why you no join?

Im involved in 5 your point?

UnStellar
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby UnStellar » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:26 am

And for the other guys?
"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst . . ."

The High Tatras
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The High Tatras » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:29 am

The High Tatras wrote:

Im involved in 5 your point?

I don't have enough time in my OOC life.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:26 pm

WHYYYY wrote:Will all of the complex be underground? Or there would be some balconies and surface areas? And if it is underground, can radio or communication signals get out/in?

The complex is both above and under ground, and is indeed represented in the image. As for the communication signals- I do not have a solid answer as I'm sure after a certain depth below the surface communication with the outside would become difficult.

I approve of this atomic-powered airship :D It's about time it's been used, and is a favorite of mine. I don't believe it'll be used in the RP; but referencing it as something on Earth is acceptable.
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:04 pm

Republic of the Cristo wrote:Name: (Your character's name) Dr. Franklin Rose
Profession: Scientist
Race: (Human, Red Martian, etc) Human
World of Origin: (your homeworld) Earth
Biographical Summary: (a bit about your character from their past to personality and aspirations)
Dr. Rose is a man of the 50's. He is tall, calm, confident, and possesses unflappable manners. He is was born on Earth, to a farming family in South Montana. Throughout high school he consistently ranked top of his class. After graduation, Franklin decided that he would enroll in the California institute of technology so that he may receive a degree in chemistry. After two years of his study however, WW3 broke out. Franklin was soon drafted into the army, were he became a private first class while in his service. After the war ( now being 26) he went back to school and finished his learning at the age of 30. He would marry his college girlfriend Samantha Tyler. After about five years of marriage, Franklin decided that his field of work was becoming to crowded on Earth. He was aware however of the need for experienced chemists on Mars. The idea of studying yet unknown chemical compounds that may be found on Mars was also quite alluring. He decided with Samantha to bring them and there Child ( Alex Rose) to Mars. There, Franklin would discover several new chemical compounds, and would be contracted by wealthy farm owners and local towns to work out chemical distribution. After about four years of this, Franklin was approached by an archeological team seeking some ancient prothean artifact and they needed a skilled chemist to accompany them. Franklin could not refuse.
Notes: (Class abilities, equipment, species attributes, and the character's own creations) When in the field, he carries his trusted plasma six shooter . He also carries on him Cadium ( a rock compound that when compressed by a light force can create minor amounts of heat), a pocket Geiger counter, a three pound hammer, a pocket knife, a journal with pen, and 3oz of hydrochloric acid. He looks like this as well, suit and all

Impressive 8)

I may not b too keen on WW3 having occurred as the USSR seem to still exist and the world is prospering, but the sheer quality of the application allows me to look past it as the good Doctor Franklin Rose has- well, I'm glad that you've made this kind of character, and have taken the time to give him the right feel.

Edit: In regards to WW3 I do see it as a bad idea to include it, but I see no reason why he can't be a veteran of a conflict in the Cold War. If you could alter that reference I'd be appreciative.
Last edited by Harbertia on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:11 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Republic of the Cristo wrote:Name: (Your character's name) Dr. Franklin Rose
Profession: Scientist
Biographical Summary: (a bit about your character from their past to personality and aspirations)
Dr. Rose is a man of the 50's. He is tall, calm, confident, and possesses unflappable manners. He is was born on Earth, to a farming family in South Montana. Throughout high school he consistently ranked top of his class. After graduation, Franklin decided that he would enroll in the California institute of technology so that he may receive a degree in chemistry. After two years of his study however, WW3 broke out. Franklin was soon drafted into the army, were he became a private first class while in his service. After the war ( now being 26) he went back to school and finished his learning at the age of 30. He would marry his college girlfriend Samantha Tyler. After about five years of marriage, Franklin decided that his field of work was becoming to crowded on Earth. He was aware however of the need for experienced chemists on Mars. The idea of studying yet unknown chemical compounds that may be found on Mars was also quite alluring. He decided with Samantha to bring them and there Child ( Alex Rose) to Mars. There, Franklin would discover several new chemical compounds, and would be contracted by wealthy farm owners and local towns to work out chemical distribution. After about four years of this, Franklin was approached by an archeological team seeking some ancient prothean artifact and they needed a skilled chemist to accompany them. Franklin could not refuse.
Notes: (Class abilities, equipment, species attributes, and the character's own creations) When in the field, he carries his trusted plasma six shooter . He also carries on him Cadium ( a rock compound that when compressed by a light force can create minor amounts of heat), a pocket Geiger counter, a three pound hammer, a pocket knife, a journal with pen, and 3oz of hydrochloric acid. He looks like this as well, suit and all

Impressive 8)

I may not b too keen on WW3 having occurred as the USSR seem to still exist and the world is prospering, but the sheer quality of the application allows me to look past it as the good Doctor Franklin Rose has- well, I'm glad that you've made this kind of character, and have taken the time to give him the right feel.

Thank you very much. May I suggest, simply for, that said war was purely conventional and ended in stalemate?

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:16 pm

Harbertia wrote:Impressive 8)

Thank you very much. May I suggest, simply for, that said war was purely conventional and ended in stalemate?

I find it unlikely due to Mutually assured destruction that WW3 would be a stalemate. I would rather prefer that Doctor Rose be a veteran of a conflict in the Cold War; but one that may have gotten really close to WW3- perhaps having taken place in Southern Asia which is surely a place tension between the two great powers. This conflict, like the Korean War could have ended in a stalemated truce.
Tomorrow is made today.

WHYYYY
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WHYYYY » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:17 pm

Three questions:

1-are space stations a reasonable tech for this time?

2-can the artifact cause volcanic eruptions?

3-what are the odds a super-powerful volcanic eruption could launch ash into space on this planet?

Edit: also, how long has this planet been inhabited by humans?
Last edited by WHYYYY on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry moderators.

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:21 pm

Harbertia wrote:

I find it unlikely due to Mutually assured destruction that WW3 would be a stalemate. I would rather prefer that Doctor Rose be a veteran of a conflict in the Cold War; but one that may have gotten really close to WW3- perhaps having taken place in Southern Asia which is surely a place tension between the two great powers. This conflict, like the Korean War could have ended in a stalemated truce.

Sino-American war?

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:35 pm

Harbertia wrote:I find it unlikely due to Mutually assured destruction that WW3 would be a stalemate. I would rather prefer that Doctor Rose be a veteran of a conflict in the Cold War; but one that may have gotten really close to WW3- perhaps having taken place in Southern Asia which is surely a place tension between the two great powers. This conflict, like the Korean War could have ended in a stalemated truce.

Sino-American war?

It's been a long time since I heard the Korean Conflict called that but yes; the conflict Rose was involved in could have had the same result. I need to stop calling it the Korean War,and I guess Sino-American isn't the right term either since the UN was involved in the Korean Conflict. I typically think of Japan and Korea as Northern Asia rather then Southern Asia; which in my mind includes India, and Burma.

I missed the Fallout Reference :p I am not not sure how to respond, aside from that at this time I am still uncomfortable with it seeing how in the fallout setting that war did end in devastation, and in the Martian Chronicles it's WW3 that happens at the end of the book with Humans making a new life for themselves on colonized Mars. If you can describe a way for this Sino-American war to not be the flame that has the Earth reborn in the manner of a phoenix, then I may consider a direct conflict with China applicable. Till I'm show how this can be so, I can only continue to press for- eh... I mean, I did have India on my mind when I made my South Asian suggestion- since India to my knowledge has no nukes.
Last edited by Harbertia on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:44 pm

As the host, and upon some encouragement, I say that you should come up with a less sever or rather ambigious conflict for Rose to be a veteran of as I shall have no WW3 as that would make Earth unprosperous, and destroy the cold war tensions of the world.
Tomorrow is made today.

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:51 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Republic of the Cristo wrote:Sino-American war?

It's been a long time since I heard the Korean Conflict called that but yes; the conflict Rose was involved in could have had the same result. I need to stop calling it the Korean War,and I guess Sino-American isn't the right term either since the UN was involved in the Korean Conflict. I typically think of Japan and Korea as Northern Asia rather then Southern Asia; which in my mind includes India, and Burma.

I missed the Fallout Reference :p I am not not sure how to respond, aside from that at this time I am still uncomfortable with it seeing how in the fallout setting that war did end in devastation, and in the Martian Chronicles it's WW3 that happens at the end of the book with Humans making a new life for themselves on colonized Mars. If you can describe a way for this Sino-American war to not be the flame that has the Earth reborn in the manner of a phoenix, then I may consider a direct conflict with China applicable. Till I'm show how this can be so, I can only continue to press for- eh... I mean, I did have India on my mind when I made my South Asian suggestion- since India to my knowledge has no nukes.

My initial intention wasn't a fallout reference, but now that you mention it :lol2:

lets just say he helped put down Maoist rebels in India

WHYYYY
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WHYYYY » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:15 pm

Name: Markus Bennett
Profession: Engineer
Biographical Summary: (a bit about your character from their past to personality and aspirations) All Markus Bennett ever wanted was a little recognition. Born the middle child with 4 siblings, he never received much attention from his parents. Not having many friends, he spent most of his childhood in his room tinkering with spare parts. He figured if he built something amazing enough, he'd be noticed by his parents. It didn't work, but he was noticed by a prominent college, and so he received an education in robotics and space exploration.
Eventually, the need for even a little attention. Markus became addicted to being noticed. He found his contraptions were the quickest way to get on the news, so he strived to make "the next great invention."
This addiction sent him through highs and lows. He was arrested many times when one of his machines unintentionally killed somebody or destroyed a neighborhood. As a result, he traveled to Mars for a fresh start and to continue his quest for attention. At Mars, he designed and led the construction of the Messenger, the first ever space station in orbit around Mars. He also built famous automatons for security and factory work.
Finally being noticed for the first time, Markus was happy. He surprised himself by taking a break from the public eye and relaxing. He was then approached by a stranger telling him about an artifact in a fortress and a quest to retrieve it, and Markus' addiction was rekindled. He reasoned that finding the artifact would make him famous again, and so he dedicated his efforts to finding a team willing to work with him to recovering the artifact.

Personality: Markus is goal-oriented and persistent, always pushing himself further. He is often loud about his opinions and will sometimes go against the person in charge if he feels it benefits him. He can hardly control himself around scrap, and is always designing new contraptions to help his quest.

Notes: (Class abilities, equipment, species attributes, and the character's own creations)

These are some of the tools Markus can use in the fortress.

Automatons-Markus can use automatons to assist him. He designed them to fold up to be easily carried in his bag, but due to size constraints, the only automatons he can carry with him stand about 3 feet unfolded. The basic robots are only programmed to do one thing, whether that be clearing debris, attacking enemies (some models can launch small rocks using pressurized air, but most use melee techniques), to retrieving scrap. He has several prebuilt, but with the right scrap material and a little time Markus can built a basic one as he goes along.

Messenger (outdoors only)- At certain times, Markus can radio the Messenger space station to have them send supplies like first aid equipment and food down to him. The station also has several full-size automatons they can send to the group if necessary. This can only be used outside and if the Messenger is in the correct spot in its orbit. It passes over the fortress about 15 times a day. On Markus's radio is a screen displaying the Messenger's current location.

Small Pistol
Last edited by WHYYYY on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry moderators.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:20 pm

Republic of the Cristo wrote:lets just say he helped put down Maoist rebels in India

Fine by me ^_^
Tomorrow is made today.

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:20 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Republic of the Cristo wrote:lets just say he helped put down Maoist rebels in India

Fine by me ^_^

So, what is the situation on mars right now?

Bingellia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 27, 2014
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Bingellia » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:31 pm

Name:"Former Lieutenant" Dietrich Kristoff
Profession: Ranger
Race: Human
World of Origin: Earth
Biographical Summary: Born in the Eastern Bloc on Earth. Dietrich's family did not have much and had to life on hunting and from job to job. So in order to better himself and his family, he joined the soviet military at age 18. He eventually worked his way up to become a sniper in the army and the military worked for him as a career until he spotted three officers "escorting" a young woman to an back alley. He quickly relocated to get a line on the men. He scoped up on the officers and nearly blew one's head off. He cycled his rifle and shot another one down. The women took the opportunity to knock the last officer out. Dietrich hurried to the women, who thanked him. He gave the women the money in the officer's wallets. He took the clean uniform of the third officer and hurried to the nearest space port before the events came to light. Now a fugitive in his homeland, he decides to become a gun for hire. He prefers to keep on himself on matter of politics and what he did in the military

Notes: He is armed with a modernized Kar 98 scoped bolt action rifle and a boot knife.
His Uniform
43 not 44
His greatcoat

Physical Appearance: He's 5'2", but he won't be exact when questioned about his height. He's somewhat built for his hight. Brown Haired. Brown eyed. Scar across his lips
Last edited by Bingellia on Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can call me Bing for short.
When in Rome, write a Roman.
Puns are the highest form of humor.
Best NS Bureaucrat 2020

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:34 pm

WHYYYY wrote:Three questions:

1-are space stations a reasonable tech for this time?

2-can the artifact cause volcanic eruptions?

3-what are the odds a super-powerful volcanic eruption could launch ash into space on this planet?

Edit: also, how long has this planet been inhabited by humans?

1 - I would imagine so though they'd likely be rather specific in their purpose which may range from listening posts, mobile asteroid mining encampments, to fueling ports.

2 - Yes it can cause eruptions

3 - As far as I know a volcanic eruption has never done so. The closest might be a thick cloud of ash that plunges a planet into an ice age... which would actually make it ripe for Plutonian colonization.

4 - At present I'd say that Humans first arrived on Mars as slaves, as I've decided to have this RP set on Mars now. That may have been some time in the 1880s, but I'd rather not put an actual date on that as it could have been a long time or short time back. I'm fairly certain that Human colonization of Mars is relatively recent with about 80 years of history.

Republic of the Cristo wrote:So, what is the situation on mars right now?

I'd say that it's as war plagued as usual. Human settlements will obviously be the few areas where Slavery is outlawed, and due to the International Space Treaty these settlements will not officially belong to any terrestrial government- but that doesn't change a settlement's national roots. Soviets would have been the first to settle mars, and establish mining operations. None Soviets largely did the same, and a rail system is currently being constructed across the Martian Equator.

The Warlords of Mars have been known to target lone transports for slaves who they sell to the Octopods who in turn grant the Warlord's fine weapons of war. Black Martians continue to dwelling in ruining cities, or nomadic bands; some times trading with the Human Settlers, though this is about the extent of relations as the Black Martians are weary of the new comers.
Last edited by Harbertia on Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

WHYYYY
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WHYYYY » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:40 pm

So wait, what year is it for this RP?
Sorry moderators.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:46 pm

WHYYYY wrote:So wait, what year is it for this RP?

IN the near future of a world past. I want to say that it's the year 1987 of an alternative Earth; similar to how the Fallout Series has the Sino-American war occurring in the year 2066 yet having the world largely resemble the 1950s. My original aim was to not be specific with dates nor with times; and I suppose I've been a bit of a pushover allowing the 1950s to be mentioned as a time period that at least one character is from.

You see, this is largely the 22nd Century.
Last edited by Harbertia on Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse