NATION

PASSWORD

Postapocalyptia | OOC [Apps Closed]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Cylarn » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:28 pm

I'll complete my app tomorrow.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Illan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Illan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:34 pm

So there's already a faction that experiments on people, some super corporations....huh, I need an idea of things to contribute.

Can someone help inspire me?
Above even The Boss
Feel free to contact me about any fantasy, sci-fi, or otherwise futuristic RPs, especially those involving aliens or other non-humans, especially if it is an original universe/idea. I also enjoy Mass Effect, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and many other things that transit to roleplays.

Imperial--japan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial--japan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:35 pm

You can never go wrong with Sir Hammerlock. It seems I have some required reading to do, but I'll have an app up in the morn/when it's allowed.
Last edited by Imperial--japan on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grand Britannia wrote:
Fenexia and holochrome wrote:I want /pol/ to stay in /pol/.

/pol/ shitposted someone into the presidency, it's too late for you.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:37 pm

I'm not entirely sure what's going on here, but it looks cool and well organized so I'll stick my neck in.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

Illan
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Illan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:37 pm

Where's the app at, anyway? I can't find it.
Above even The Boss
Feel free to contact me about any fantasy, sci-fi, or otherwise futuristic RPs, especially those involving aliens or other non-humans, especially if it is an original universe/idea. I also enjoy Mass Effect, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and many other things that transit to roleplays.

Highfort
Minister

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highfort » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:39 pm

Illan wrote:Where's the app at, anyway? I can't find it.

This is a discussion/world-building/interest thread, not an official OOC. No apps yet.
First as tragedy, then as farce

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:39 pm

Highfort wrote:

This is a discussion/world-building/interest thread, not an official OOC. No apps yet.

Ah. I can help with that if need be.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

Illan
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Illan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:41 pm

Highfort wrote:

I keep seeing people talking about apps and such, so I was confused when I couldn't find it :P

I'm thinking of putting up an idea for a nomadic tribe of shooty folks who like to trade. Does that sound suitable for the setting?
Above even The Boss

Highfort
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Highfort » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:42 pm

Illan wrote:
Highfort wrote:

I keep seeing people talking about apps and such, so I was confused when I couldn't find it :P

I'm thinking of putting up an idea for a nomadic tribe of shooty folks who like to trade. Does that sound suitable for the setting?

Where would they live? What would they be trading for (and with)? What sort of culture and government would they have? Flesh them out, make them feel at home in the Great Khan Desert.

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:44 pm

Vancon wrote:
Highfort wrote:

Ah. I can help with that if need be.

The app is in the OP, but please don't complete one just yet as we're still in dev mode.

Imperial--japan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial--japan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:46 pm

Highfort wrote:

Thanks for the save. I was too excited by the immeasurable prospects rummaging through my head.
Grand Britannia wrote:
Fenexia and holochrome wrote:I want /pol/ to stay in /pol/.

/pol/ shitposted someone into the presidency, it's too late for you.

Illan
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Illan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:48 pm

Highfort wrote:
Illan wrote:

Where would they live? What would they be trading for (and with)? What sort of culture and government would they have? Flesh them out, make them feel at home in the Great Khan Desert.

I know, I was gonna flesh them out. And they would live in the Great Kahn Desert, that was my intention. When they set up camp, it looks like a massive bazaar! So they'll hopefully be exciting.

I'll definitely elaborate more.
Above even The Boss

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:12 pm

Quick question. How long was it since the first settling? IE, the first settlement of people on the planet? Don't know where to find it it or if it even exists.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl
Radical Anti-Radical Feminist Feminist
S.W.I.F: Sex Worker Inclusionary Feminist.

Illan
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Illan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:12 pm

The Carlisle wrote:Quick question. How long was it since the first settling? IE, the first settlement of people on the planet? Don't know where to find it it or if it even exists.

I need to know this as well.
Above even The Boss

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:19 pm

Illan wrote:
The Carlisle wrote:Quick question. How long was it since the first settling? IE, the first settlement of people on the planet? Don't know where to find it it or if it even exists.

Can't seem to find it, though still searching.

For the time, let's keep it ambiguous.

Illan
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Illan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:21 pm

Mincaldenteans wrote:
Illan wrote:

I mostly just need to know if a generation or so has passed. That's the most important part.
Above even The Boss

Highfort
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Highfort » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:23 pm

Illan wrote:
Mincaldenteans wrote:

I mostly just need to know if a generation or so has passed. That's the most important part.

I would figure. It does say that the Great Khan used to be airborne and only developed into a city after it crashed in the middle of the desert. One generation would be sufficient to get the whole apparatus running after it crashed, though I would argue at least 2 in order to populate it and for the other factions to rise up and begin trading with Great Khan.

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:24 pm

Illan wrote:
Mincaldenteans wrote:

FOUND!:

Ayreonia wrote:
Illan wrote:Question: What is the approximate time period since the abandonment of Postpoc and the current IC time? I need to know for my character's age.

We've settled on roughly twenty years. During that time, travel to and from the planet has been impossible, so if he's younger than that, he's a Rigelian native.

Illan
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Illan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:26 pm

Mincaldenteans wrote:
Illan wrote:

FOUND!:

Ayreonia wrote:We've settled on roughly twenty years. During that time, travel to and from the planet has been impossible, so if he's younger than that, he's a Rigelian native.

That's very doable, one generation of tribal people's kids! Awesome.
Above even The Boss

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:58 pm

Great Khan- People and Politics

Great Khan's people descend from the crew which once served the vessel when it patrolled Rigel-3 airspace before landfall, settled nomads, and immigrants looking to make their fortune. Being an important trade hub, city life is centered around keeping the economic machine running. Main sources of employment are managerial duties, financials, hospitality, service, import and export, caravan running and caravan security. Other important work includes general maintenance, from metalworking to electronics, which keeps Great Khan functioning. Most of the populous take work in the less life risking fields while outsiders make up most of the caravan running and security.

The people ethnically descend mostly from Central Asians, most of which are Kazakhs. Because of this, the main language of Great Khan is Kazakh Turkish. Along with being the main language of the city, it is also one of the trade languages of the wider region, because of the dominant power Great Khan has over the rest of the area. Russian is also a significant secondary language, but has been dwindling in use since Kazakh Turkish was established as the sole official language of the city. The culture of the people take many traditions from Central Asian culture. Animal riding is huge in Great Khan, with many competitions showing off who is the best rider or the fastest. Because of the lack of horses, the people have adopted Gyrosprinters as the animal of choice, but other animals are used as well. Great Khan sports a large circuit for animal riding activities, with many events being held throughout the years. There are several large stables and breeders also set up around Great Khan, breeding the best competition horses. Although, it is widely believed that the best animals come from the small towns dotted throughout the wastes, despite the fact most out there are bred for work. Football is also a huge sport, with Great Khan sporting its own field with seats for up to 2,500 and growing. There is a Russian minority living within Great Khan, most descending from crew. They number upwards to 150 people and have their own section on the ship, nicknamed the Boyar Section, where they have set up a Russian Orthodox Church. Despite the official language being Kazakh Turkish, only Russian is spoken in the Boyar Section.

Politics in Great Khan is well known for being a corrupt oligarchy. Everyone can vote, but business owners and wealthy citizen get more votes. In fact, the richest people can cast up to ten votes. Not only that, but outside companies can set up a representative citizen that'll act as a voter for them, and their vote is based upon the wealth of who they are representing. Because of this, richest individuals hold the power in the city. Bribes are very often, with outside companies using their votes to buy favor with people in power. People wonder how the populous can live with such a corrupt system in place. The truth is, they are happy with it. The people in power keep the populous happy with economic development, gifts, shows, making sure the machine runs and keeping the city safe. Focus of development is centered mostly in Great Khan, which makes the people content with the set up despite the disadvantages of it.

Money and power is focus inwardly to Great Khan, making the city a prospering haven of trade and keeps the populous content. Because of this though, power projection over the rest of the region is not as tight. Borders are just lines on the map and don't exist in any form in reality. Desert Raiders are a common sight all across the deserts, with whole societies dedicated to raiding. But because of its importance, it is a center of trade and power within the region. Villages and towns across the desert depend on Great Khan's existence for being a safe spot for caravans to rest and travel through, and serves as where all the wealth of the region culminates. Because of this, settlements across the region proclaim Great Khan as their capital.

Great Khan Desert- People and Politics

Great Khan Desert holds many settlements and peoples, ranging from sedentary lifestyles to full fledged nomads. Many people descent from Central Asians, because of the history before Landfall. The CACP (Central Asian Colonization Program) won a bid on the region, back then known as the Trentian Wastes. While they felt cheated, they took what they could and sent thousands of willing people from Earth to Rigel-3 to settle in the wastes. Many died, and those that were hardy and adaptive survived.

Many of the first settlement started around permanent oases and deep wells. Over the years, they grew to be towns that would serve as stopping points on trade routes. Outside of them, semi-permanent villages were set up near seasonal oases and wells. Others are fully nomadic, where settlements are only temporary and for how long the animals an graze off a patch.

Agriculture, animal husbandry, mining, and trade make up the economy of the region. Towns serve as resting points for caravans and also agricultural centers. Semi-nomadic villages have a mix of animal husbandry and agriculture, growing fruits and vegetables when water is available and herding in-between moving between watering holes. But some are full-fledged traders, effectively being a moving bazaar. Watering holes can become centers of trade for a while before moving on. The nomadic tribes make up all their income with animal husbandry.
Some settlements make all their income on mining, whether it is various metals, lucrative salt, or the rarer Timonium.

Many settlements proclaim Great Khan as their capital,because of the power it has in the region. People outside of the city are more aware of the corruption within Great Khan, and most have banded together to accumulate their voting power. Most settlements have their own "Town Company", which serves as the main judge of wealth for a town. Most towns band under an umbrella association named "Desert Towns and Villages Association". The DTVA binds the settlements together and accumulates their voting power into a single bloc. The DTVA makes up a significant portion of votes within Great Khan itself, and because of this, oligarchs throw money at it to either gain their support or at least section it off enough to make it insignificant. Many problems arise in between the villages because of it. But despite it all, they stick together because they are shit out of luck if they don't.

The culture of the region takes greatly from Central Asian culture. Unlike Great Khan, the languages vary greatly, with different villages having different languages. Despite the different languages, the lingua franca of the region is Kazakh Turkish, with most people at least having a decent knowledge of. Another widely used one is Russian, with most speakers resting on the outer towns and villages of the desert, where Great Khan's influence is nigh non existent. Animal Riding is huge, with plenty if intraregional competitions being held between towns and villages. Though few breed their Gyrosprinters to be fast, many believe that the best ones come from the deserts. Football is also huge, but not as big than in Great Khan. Only the bigger towns hold a field just for soccer while the rest either share use with a circuit or have none at all.
Last edited by The Carlisle on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

Illan
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Illan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:00 pm

Hey Carlisle, do you mind if I shoehorn my own people into the Great Khan Desert? I would like your permission first.
Above even The Boss

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:01 pm

Illan wrote:Hey Carlisle, do you mind if I shoehorn my own people into the Great Khan Desert? I would like your permission first.

Well, I sort of shoehorned them in for you! Check out the Great Khan Desert spoiler :p
Last edited by The Carlisle on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

Illan
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Illan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:22 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
Illan wrote:Hey Carlisle, do you mind if I shoehorn my own people into the Great Khan Desert? I would like your permission first.

Well, I sort of shoehorned them in for you! Check out the Great Khan Desert spoiler :p

Ah, you're awesome :hug:

I'm going to write up a nice thing for my people soonish :)
Above even The Boss

Highfort
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Highfort » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:23 pm

Perhaps gladiatorial combat would be big outside of Great Khan? In the city I can see it being an issue as one would like to maintain the pretense of civility but outside the city many disputes may be settled via combat (faster and conducive to the nomadic culture of the desert-dwellers, who don't have as much time to set up and arbitrate courts).

Illan
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Illan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:24 pm

Highfort wrote:Perhaps gladiatorial combat would be big outside of Great Khan? In the city I can see it being an issue as one would like to maintain the pretense of civility but outside the city many disputes may be settled via combat (faster and conducive to the nomadic culture of the desert-dwellers, who don't have as much time to set up and arbitrate courts).

I love this idea.
Above even The Boss

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse