NATION

PASSWORD

The Elves of Starlight [OOC/Open]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Prusslandia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Prusslandia » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:32 am

The Starlight wrote:
New Jordslag wrote:Still deciding.

Agreed. At the very least, let's make sure all Arrows stay a 50 mile distance from him.

Too late!
*Notches arrow*

Add 7000 to 8000 posts to my post count.
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
I’m back owo

New Jordslag
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Jordslag » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:33 am

The Starlight wrote:
New Jordslag wrote:Still deciding.

Agreed. At the very least, let's make sure all Arrows stay a 50 mile distance from him.

Too late!
*Notches arrow*

*steals it*
My favorite games are the Pokemon Games. Shoot me a TG if you want to talk about them.
Don't worry! It's all just a tall tale, okay?
Favorite Ecchi Fan of Lith and Self-Proclaimed Pokemon King of NS.
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
New Jordslag wrote:Then we can have another New York. No such thing as too many New Yorks.

And somewhere in New York, Big Jim P gets a cold shudder down his spine.

The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:35 am

So, what should we think about for powers and a bio?
P2TM Mentor
TG me!
Discord available on request as well
Or join the Mentor Discord server!

Such a cool time I select, looking out my window, and that's that

The worlding of the words is AMARANTH.

New Jordslag
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jordslag » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:45 am

The Armed Republic of Dutch coolness wrote:So, what should we think about for powers and a bio?

Think like an Elf would think.
My favorite games are the Pokemon Games. Shoot me a TG if you want to talk about them.
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
New Jordslag wrote:Then we can have another New York. No such thing as too many New Yorks.

The Starlight
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Starlight » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:03 am

The Armed Republic of Dutch coolness wrote:So, what should we think about for powers and a bio?

Powers, basically are those that your patron god has. For you, perhaps excellent skill with all weapons, and perhaps weapon manipulation.
Call me Star
Best High Fantasy RPer of '14 and '15
"Life before Death. Strength before Weakness. Journey before Destination"
"Strength does not make one capable of rule. It makes one capable of service"
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world"
Tri: NS's Tolkien incarnate
Lith: Twinky-toes, Lord of Elves, and the only man to enter Tolkien's Holy of Holies
Neros: A Star Among Men and a Tolkien force of nature in relation to Elves and Asgardians.
P2TM: Infinite Justice | ✎ Member - ℘ædagog | adhouse

IJB: RE | Arcs

Sil Arion
Ambassador

Founded: May 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sil Arion » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:15 pm

Star!! How dare you make another RP that demands my time!

Ahem. On another note, may I reserve Adolin? App likely up later.
Aiya! Elen síla lúmenn omentielvo! Call me Sil!

The Starlight
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Starlight » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:10 pm

Sil Arion wrote:Star!! How dare you make another RP that demands my time!

Ahem. On another note, may I reserve Adolin? App likely up later.

Another one's coming up too, which I also demand you join. :D

Sure thing.
Call me Star
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world"
Lith: Twinky-toes, Lord of Elves, and the only man to enter Tolkien's Holy of Holies
Neros: A Star Among Men and a Tolkien force of nature in relation to Elves and Asgardians.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:16 am

Alright, just gotta come up with a suitable bio..

Character App
Character Name: Venwynn
Character Title: The Warrior
Patron/Creator: Tuyil, the Warrior, God of War and Battle
Gender: Female (You're pretty damn right, female Elves are much more enjoyable m8)
Appearance: One image for you, sir.
Short Bio:
Powers: Proficiency with every type of weapon and armor, as well as the ability to use many seemingly useless things as an improvised weapon.
Additional Information: Pretty much an edited, more godly version of my 5th Ed D&D backup character, whom has still not been used.
Time Zone: GMT+1 (Amsterdam and such blahblah)
#StarsandElves - For finding apps, DO NOT remove, thanks.
P2TM Mentor
TG me!

New Jordslag
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Jordslag » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:15 am

Star, I'm making my app, but I just realized: we should have an Evil God. Two evil gods, in fact. One supports total chaos and insanity, and is himself insane. He has support from only small and scattered cults among the Elves, with most having a strong distaste for him. The other one should support tyranny and oppressive order and lies, and have notably stronger support among the highly-organized Elves, albeit still small.

Thoughts, Star?
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

The Starlight
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Starlight » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:33 am

The Armed Republic of Dutch coolness wrote:Alright, just gotta come up with a suitable bio..

Character App
Character Name: Venwynn
Character Title: The Warrior
Patron/Creator: Tuyil, the Warrior, God of War and Battle
Gender: Female (You're pretty damn right, female Elves are much more enjoyable m8)
Appearance: One image for you, sir.
Short Bio:
Powers: Proficiency with every type of weapon and armor, as well as the ability to use many seemingly useless things as an improvised weapon.
Additional Information: Pretty much an edited, more godly version of my 5th Ed D&D backup character, whom has still not been used.
Time Zone: GMT+1 (Amsterdam and such blahblah)
#StarsandElves - For finding apps, DO NOT remove, thanks.

Looks good so far. You could add personality to the bio, and her first thoughts.

New Jordslag wrote:Star, I'm making my app, but I just realized: we should have an Evil God. Two evil gods, in fact. One supports total chaos and insanity, and is himself insane. He has support from only small and scattered cults among the Elves, with most having a strong distaste for him. The other one should support tyranny and oppressive order and lies, and have notably stronger support among the highly-organized Elves, albeit still small.

Thoughts, Star?

They would have to be part of a different pantheon then. But yes, evil gods will come into play, but as there are only 8 elves, not yet. Once the elven population gets larger, or perhaps before that, they will come into contact with evil gods.
Call me Star

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:34 am

Good idea.
P2TM Mentor
TG me!

Sil Arion
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sil Arion » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:41 pm

I wasn't entirely sure what to write given the premise of the RP as elves blessed with godlike powers, so I went a bit wild trying to come up with ideas for powers that fit a God of Truth and Honor and Bonds [as per normal!] - though I did find some helpful inspiration in a well-loved book series of mine starring a certain red-haired, green-eyed lute-player. You may have heard of him. But here it is! Do let me know if it's too much, or something needs to be changed. I've never been in an RP like this one. But is kinda fun too!

Character App

Character Name: Alodin Amariën.

Character Title: The Bondsmith, Anointed of Alodin. And in time, the Runelord and Truthsayer, Lawgiver and Judge. And the Giver.

Patron/Creator: Alodin, the Bondsmith, God of Truth and Honor.

Short Bio: As with many of the Anointed, he received dreams from his Creator before being Awoken for the first time. These dreams were counsel and advice from Alodin in the form of visions of the future and the Fall of Creation, the fall of truth and honor as it is soiled by sin, by deceit and dishonor. And all the trouble and turmoil the world and creatures will feel, all the anger and hatred held for wrongs done unto them, consuming them til all their being is bound with their past pain and their eyes are blinded and hearts closed – and how this is where his place is. Above all, his Creator showed him the beautiful truth and honor of the ties that bind people and places together – the love poured into Creation by the Gods and Goddesses that connects everything, and so nothing is truly without purpose or a place to call home. And when he first opens his eyes, he will see this and come understand his own purpose – to honor this truth and overcome evil with good.

As the God Alodin’s Domain is Truth and Honor, and Bonds, his powers reflect this, centering on concepts and circumstances related to truth and honor, such as justice and judgment and atonement. Too, his powers are of restoration and redemption and protection from the influence of evil and lies especially, things that would harm honor and truthfulness in the world. And moreover, it is his power of Binding.

First and foremost is the Voice of Truth, said to be Alodin himself speaking through him. While it is the first power awakened in him, and so the strongest. When active, he can only speak the truth and nothing but the truth. Yet he grows more persuasive, an underlying power and utter clarity entering his voice as his charisma mounts - people listen, even if they rationally disagree with what is being said. And even follow his words at times, making it a strong tool in negotiating. But it is draining, tiresome to use as it draws on his own energy as much as dueling with swords and debating and speech do on the body and mind. The Voice also forms the foundation for his three other powers, allowing him to know and speak True Names of things, and then Bind them.

Second is the Sight, a supernatural perception allowing him to gaze upon the world and see things secret to the normal eye, as it shows concepts physically when used to see people and places and lets him understand things on a deep and personal level beyond the mind alone, in thought, but in his very being. In his own spirit, so to say. But whatever he sees remains as lasting memory and feeling forever, clear as the first time he saw it to neither fade to be forgotten. The concepts he Sees are the ties that bind a person or place to the world around them - their actions, their thoughts and emotions bound within them. With people, he can take this farther and should he meet their eyes with his Sight, he can initiate a Soulgaze, whereupon he Sees the soul itself. Given the Sight is unforgettable, this can have a lasting effect of him, whether for good or for ill should he See someone filled with good, or witness an atrocity – but it allows him to fully and truly understand that person, through seeing and sympathizing with all that is bound within their soul. But it is also two-way, for the one he Gazes upon sees into his soul too – something which might well harm or hurt the unprepared, for an Anointed, while an earthly creature, is still beyond most others. For these reasons, it is not a power he uses lightly, nor does it always work well, for he is young and inexperienced in its use and understanding the Truth of the world via the Truth of Names – such is only a true God’s Domain, beyond earthly understanding. Thus he prefers conversations, stories and experiencing things himself – more reliable and more enjoyable. In this regard the Voice is helpful - to those he speaks with the Voice, they are only able to answer with the truth - but only share what they wish, for it goes against his honor to force them to tell what they wish not to share.

In speaking Names, he must speak them with the Voice in the True Tongue, the Language of the Gods. But in its fashion, it is not something easily known to earthly creatures, even an Anointed like himself. It takes time to discover, to learn the Divine Words, the Names that somehow completely describe a thing, a concept. But these are not revealed through study or reading like common names and words. These are revealed only through a deep and intimate understanding of the thing, of the world, and in experience – for him, only when in a heightened state of emotion and awareness, when his mind and body, heart and soul are opened to the world in times of great peril, pleasure or peace, moments when Alodin’s power peaks within him – for it is beyond an earthly creature to otherwise understand so deeply all the force and events that have shaped a thing to be what is now. But as things are forever changing, so to do the Names of things. Some change faster, some slower, some randomly and others more predictably. Absolutely, a things will always be a thing, simply and constantly itself in nature. One moment he might know a Name, and the next not. Such things as the Wind which constantly change will often be most difficult to bind, for its Name is always in a state of change – if predictable as a repetitive force of nature. But concepts - concepts change rarely, and then only slowly. Thus the Names of concepts such as strength are much better known to him on the whole once discovered, or slow-changing things in the world like stone or iron, two Names he knows well. Thus he technically has a knowledge all things through the words of the True Tongue, yet does not know them intimately, as through experience, and so does not know them truly. But the more experiences, the more he sees, the closer he comes to knowing the Truth of Names. And often having known the Name of something in the past helps in finding its Name in the present if changed, and predicting future changes too. The tablet he carries in hand records all the True Names he knows and all that entails of a thing’s story, its soul. It is the Name-Stone, Umaeluom. And while the Names of the wind, a constantly changing thing, is difficult to know truly, it is not so deep a Name as the Names of people, of beings. For this reason, knowing the Names of people is most difficult, too in that their Names are not mere translations into the True Tongue of their common names, but as summations of their souls, which are ever-changing. Thus, he requires the Sight.

His third power is the Bounds of Honor. With it he can influence a person’s sense of honor, of duty and responsibility, heightening its force in the moment and filling them with drive, courage and happiness, for their honor is high and whole. Or turn its hold on them, lowering their spirits as a sense of dishonor and failure fills them, cowardice and sorrow weighing on their hearts and minds, for their honor is low and broken. This takes the form of an aura which affects the surrounding area – shining and warm white-gold light like sun rays emit from him, his spear and tablet and a pleasant sound like chimes fills the air. The closer one is to him, the more affected. Too though, the more power he pushes into the aura, the greater its area of effect and its power – but all the exhausting.

In time he will find two further applications of this power, both as deeper means of the first. And for all that power, it relies on the knowing of Names, making it impossible to use without the knowing of Names. Worse yet, these must be the Names of people, making it even more difficult, for few things do change so swiftly and unpredictably as people do, nor so deep in nature. But it is powerful when he knows their Name intimately, for with the Voice he can unbind from them their sins, destroy doubts and restore the spirits of the downtrodden, lift the burden of misdeeds and falsehoods from the truly repentant - whether such acts were committed unwittingly or not, so long as they are honest, willing and hopeful. Such creatures blessed by the Voice in this way will find not only are they redeemed and their spirits restored, but their minds sharpened and limbs strengthened as an aura of goodness settles on them for a time, and they are driven to do good, to act honorably and speak truthfully, for he has bound up their being in their new honor – for they are Honor-Bound. This is the restorative side of the Salvation Honor-Bound. Oppositely, creatures who do not repent are punished in accordance with their acts, as he binds up their entire being within their sins, their dishonor. With the Voice of Truth he pronounces judgment and brings about justice: their spirits are destroyed, minds dulled and limbs slowed as an aura of weakening weighs heavily on them for they know nothing but misery, for they can only lie and do misdeeds to themselves. This is the destructive side, the Damnation Honor-Bound. With both, he much touch the person to redeem or damn them.

The latter is a power as great as it is terrible, something he is keenly aware of upon awakening – and its temptation to use against the deceitful and dishonorable. For in knowing the Name of person, he could bind their will to his own and command them as a slave to his every desire – to even kill themselves. And in a comparison of power and limitations, the latter is greater to him – to damn a creature, is there nothing more horrid and vile to do, no matter how just and righteous?

For Alodin gave him something else, the former of the two – the power to forgive and unbind. To him, it is the most treasured of his powers, for in it is the amazing and beautiful and absolute restoration of truth and honor. That impossible and unconditional love that connects everything together. And it is something he dearly wishes to show and share with the world and all the creatures in it – the Gift of Grace.

Related to this is the Marriage Bond, as set down by Alodin as the greatest and deepest of all bonds that can be forged, where male and female are joined in spirit and their bonding blessed by Alodin to protect and let flourish greatest gift and honor that is this love.

Fourth of his powers are the Runes of Binding, a tool for him to use when he words alone are not enough to stay the hand of evil and violence. It is to be the last to awaken and least of his powers, and relies entirely on his knowledge of the True Tongue – it is indeed a lesser counterpart of Names in this way. Too, it relies on his strength of mind and body to bind a thing with another different from it, and requires the use of his blood in inscription. With Inaerion, the Rune-Spear, he inscribes the Runes, words written in the True Tongue, and activates them by pronouncing the ritual word-binding, invoking the Name, with the Voice and pouring energy into it, the Rune. The larger its size in inscription in dimensions, the more energy required to activate it – but the more power it can hold, and so the greater the effect. Too, it is an inefficient process, for he is inexperienced. But by writing them in Arrays, arranged in geometric shapes, he can combine multiple concepts and things and create a greater manifold effects. In usage, he can single-cast a Rune-Binding – simply inscribe, empower and activate, and the Rune, or Array, expends its effect – then it is spent, and destroyed in the process and must be remade. Or, in an Array with certain elements added in, it lasts for a long period of time and continuously applies an effect, or at will. Such Arrays are engraved on Inaerion. And Runes, for all their ability, can be easily nullified if the inscription is damaged – even miscast catastrophically if disturbed during activation. Too, they also obey the laws of nature as given by the Gods. The energy to activate each Rune must come from somewhere, energy from heat, or life – he must draw it from things around him, or from within himself. But to draw energy from the former requires knowing the Name of the thing, or inscribing it with Runes. Thus, he sometimes must draw energy from himself if casting without other resources or preparations, or an easy and safe source of energy. This then leaves him weakened and cold, and sometimes close to death.

Within this power are two types of using Runes and Arrays: Sygaldric Rune-Bindings and Sympathetic Rune-Bindings. For the former, he transfers the quality of one thing to another, such as the strength of a stallion to a man, so giving the man more strength. Corresponding runes must be inscribed on both the source and the recipient. As with standard Runes, the greater the inscribed size, the more power it can hold, and thus transfer, but at the same time, corresponding runes may be different sizes to limit the flow of power or its storage. The more alike the two things are too, the better the transfer of qualities. Binding the strength of a mountain into a creature would not work well. But binding the strength of a creature into another creature – that would be among the best. Or, similarly, the heat of one stone to another, to store energy. In the latter, Sympathetic Runes, he binds one object to another such that what happens to one thing happens to the other. If a stone is bound to a stone, and one is lifted, then the other lifts. If a creature’s body is bound to that of another and one is stabbed, the wound will appear on the other.

With both these disciplines in Rune-Binding, and as a whole, he’s discovered several rules, laws of a sort. Overall, the stronger the link, the fuller and greater the transference of qualities and effects. One, the Doctrine of Correspondence: similarity enhances the effects of the link – not simply similarity in size and shape, but in its material, its making, its very identity and history. In its Name. Two, the Principle of Consanguinity: a piece of a thing can represent the whole of a thing, for it shares much of the Name. Three, the Law of Conservation: energy cannot be created or destroyed – it can be only transferred and changed in its forms. Fourth, the Extent of Exactness: the more accurate and precise the Names in the Rune-Binding, the fuller and greater the Binding. Fifth, and final, the Power of Will: the strength of his focus, his belief in the Rune-Binding’s power and its effect matters most importantly – in a phrase, intent is everything. In this way, he cannot effectively bind a bind a flame to a tree and cause it to burn if he doesn’t believe it will. If done lightly without strong intent, or in a distracted state of mind, only a little spark might appear. If anything at all. And for his focus to be sharp, his mind clear, he must have a strong will and be able to ignore distractions.

In and through practice, he has found some things come easier the more and more he comes to know something in the Truth of its Name. The more and more he binds the same thing to his will, the more skilled he becomes, the less effort and energy he has to put into inscribing and empowering the Rune-Binding. While he does not know to what extent this applies, he believes in a future possibility: knowing something so broadly and deeply over time he’d be able to bend it to his will without having to expend any energy and effort in binding it to him.

Additional Information: If any more ideas come to mind!

Time Zone: CST (GMT - 6:00).

#StarsandElves

The Starlight
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Starlight » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:54 pm

Sil Arion wrote:I wasn't entirely sure what to write given the premise of the RP as elves blessed with godlike powers, so I went a bit wild trying to come up with ideas for powers that fit a God of Truth and Honor and Bonds [as per normal!] - though I did find some helpful inspiration in a well-loved book series of mine starring a certain red-haired, green-eyed lute-player. You may have heard of him. But here it is! Do let me know if it's too much, or something needs to be changed. I've never been in an RP like this one. But is kinda fun too!

Character App

Character Title: The Bondsmith, Anointed of Alodin. And in time, the Runelord and Truthsayer, Lawgiver and Judge. And the Giver.

Short Bio: As with many of the Anointed, he received dreams from his Creator before being Awoken for the first time. These dreams were counsel and advice from Alodin in the form of visions of the future and the Fall of Creation, the fall of truth and honor as it is soiled by sin, by deceit and dishonor. And all the trouble and turmoil the world and creatures will feel, all the anger and hatred held for wrongs done unto them, consuming them til all their being is bound with their past pain and their eyes are blinded and hearts closed – and how this is where his place is. Above all, his Creator showed him the beautiful truth and honor of the ties that bind people and places together – the love poured into Creation by the Gods and Goddesses that connects everything, and so nothing is truly without purpose or a place to call home. And when he first opens his eyes, he will see this and come understand his own purpose – to honor this truth and overcome evil with good.

As the God Alodin’s Domain is Truth and Honor, and Bonds, his powers reflect this, centering on concepts and circumstances related to truth and honor, such as justice and judgment and atonement. Too, his powers are of restoration and redemption and protection from the influence of evil and lies especially, things that would harm honor and truthfulness in the world. And moreover, it is his power of Binding.

First and foremost is the Voice of Truth, said to be Alodin himself speaking through him. While it is the first power awakened in him, and so the strongest. When active, he can only speak the truth and nothing but the truth. Yet he grows more persuasive, an underlying power and utter clarity entering his voice as his charisma mounts - people listen, even if they rationally disagree with what is being said. And even follow his words at times, making it a strong tool in negotiating. But it is draining, tiresome to use as it draws on his own energy as much as dueling with swords and debating and speech do on the body and mind. The Voice also forms the foundation for his three other powers, allowing him to know and speak True Names of things, and then Bind them.

Second is the Sight, a supernatural perception allowing him to gaze upon the world and see things secret to the normal eye, as it shows concepts physically when used to see people and places and lets him understand things on a deep and personal level beyond the mind alone, in thought, but in his very being. In his own spirit, so to say. But whatever he sees remains as lasting memory and feeling forever, clear as the first time he saw it to neither fade to be forgotten. The concepts he Sees are the ties that bind a person or place to the world around them - their actions, their thoughts and emotions bound within them. With people, he can take this farther and should he meet their eyes with his Sight, he can initiate a Soulgaze, whereupon he Sees the soul itself. Given the Sight is unforgettable, this can have a lasting effect of him, whether for good or for ill should he See someone filled with good, or witness an atrocity – but it allows him to fully and truly understand that person, through seeing and sympathizing with all that is bound within their soul. But it is also two-way, for the one he Gazes upon sees into his soul too – something which might well harm or hurt the unprepared, for an Anointed, while an earthly creature, is still beyond most others. For these reasons, it is not a power he uses lightly, nor does it always work well, for he is young and inexperienced in its use and understanding the Truth of the world via the Truth of Names – such is only a true God’s Domain, beyond earthly understanding. Thus he prefers conversations, stories and experiencing things himself – more reliable and more enjoyable. In this regard the Voice is helpful - to those he speaks with the Voice, they are only able to answer with the truth - but only share what they wish, for it goes against his honor to force them to tell what they wish not to share.

In speaking Names, he must speak them with the Voice in the True Tongue, the Language of the Gods. But in its fashion, it is not something easily known to earthly creatures, even an Anointed like himself. It takes time to discover, to learn the Divine Words, the Names that somehow completely describe a thing, a concept. But these are not revealed through study or reading like common names and words. These are revealed only through a deep and intimate understanding of the thing, of the world, and in experience – for him, only when in a heightened state of emotion and awareness, when his mind and body, heart and soul are opened to the world in times of great peril, pleasure or peace, moments when Alodin’s power peaks within him – for it is beyond an earthly creature to otherwise understand so deeply all the force and events that have shaped a thing to be what is now. But as things are forever changing, so to do the Names of things. Some change faster, some slower, some randomly and others more predictably. Absolutely, a things will always be a thing, simply and constantly itself in nature. One moment he might know a Name, and the next not. Such things as the Wind which constantly change will often be most difficult to bind, for its Name is always in a state of change – if predictable as a repetitive force of nature. But concepts - concepts change rarely, and then only slowly. Thus the Names of concepts such as strength are much better known to him on the whole once discovered, or slow-changing things in the world like stone or iron, two Names he knows well. Thus he technically has a knowledge all things through the words of the True Tongue, yet does not know them intimately, as through experience, and so does not know them truly. But the more experiences, the more he sees, the closer he comes to knowing the Truth of Names. And often having known the Name of something in the past helps in finding its Name in the present if changed, and predicting future changes too. The tablet he carries in hand records all the True Names he knows and all that entails of a thing’s story, its soul. It is the Name-Stone, Umaeluom. And while the Names of the wind, a constantly changing thing, is difficult to know truly, it is not so deep a Name as the Names of people, of beings. For this reason, knowing the Names of people is most difficult, too in that their Names are not mere translations into the True Tongue of their common names, but as summations of their souls, which are ever-changing. Thus, he requires the Sight.

His third power is the Bounds of Honor. With it he can influence a person’s sense of honor, of duty and responsibility, heightening its force in the moment and filling them with drive, courage and happiness, for their honor is high and whole. Or turn its hold on them, lowering their spirits as a sense of dishonor and failure fills them, cowardice and sorrow weighing on their hearts and minds, for their honor is low and broken. This takes the form of an aura which affects the surrounding area – shining and warm white-gold light like sun rays emit from him, his spear and tablet and a pleasant sound like chimes fills the air. The closer one is to him, the more affected. Too though, the more power he pushes into the aura, the greater its area of effect and its power – but all the exhausting.

In time he will find two further applications of this power, both as deeper means of the first. And for all that power, it relies on the knowing of Names, making it impossible to use without the knowing of Names. Worse yet, these must be the Names of people, making it even more difficult, for few things do change so swiftly and unpredictably as people do, nor so deep in nature. But it is powerful when he knows their Name intimately, for with the Voice he can unbind from them their sins, destroy doubts and restore the spirits of the downtrodden, lift the burden of misdeeds and falsehoods from the truly repentant - whether such acts were committed unwittingly or not, so long as they are honest, willing and hopeful. Such creatures blessed by the Voice in this way will find not only are they redeemed and their spirits restored, but their minds sharpened and limbs strengthened as an aura of goodness settles on them for a time, and they are driven to do good, to act honorably and speak truthfully, for he has bound up their being in their new honor – for they are Honor-Bound. This is the restorative side of the Salvation Honor-Bound. Oppositely, creatures who do not repent are punished in accordance with their acts, as he binds up their entire being within their sins, their dishonor. With the Voice of Truth he pronounces judgment and brings about justice: their spirits are destroyed, minds dulled and limbs slowed as an aura of weakening weighs heavily on them for they know nothing but misery, for they can only lie and do misdeeds to themselves. This is the destructive side, the Damnation Honor-Bound. With both, he much touch the person to redeem or damn them.

The latter is a power as great as it is terrible, something he is keenly aware of upon awakening – and its temptation to use against the deceitful and dishonorable. For in knowing the Name of person, he could bind their will to his own and command them as a slave to his every desire – to even kill themselves. And in a comparison of power and limitations, the latter is greater to him – to damn a creature, is there nothing more horrid and vile to do, no matter how just and righteous?

For Alodin gave him something else, the former of the two – the power to forgive and unbind. To him, it is the most treasured of his powers, for in it is the amazing and beautiful and absolute restoration of truth and honor. That impossible and unconditional love that connects everything together. And it is something he dearly wishes to show and share with the world and all the creatures in it – the Gift of Grace.

Related to this is the Marriage Bond, as set down by Alodin as the greatest and deepest of all bonds that can be forged, where male and female are joined in spirit and their bonding blessed by Alodin to protect and let flourish greatest gift and honor that is this love.

Fourth of his powers are the Runes of Binding, a tool for him to use when he words alone are not enough to stay the hand of evil and violence. It is to be the last to awaken and least of his powers, and relies entirely on his knowledge of the True Tongue – it is indeed a lesser counterpart of Names in this way. Too, it relies on his strength of mind and body to bind a thing with another different from it, and requires the use of his blood in inscription. With Inaerion, the Rune-Spear, he inscribes the Runes, words written in the True Tongue, and activates them by pronouncing the ritual word-binding, invoking the Name, with the Voice and pouring energy into it, the Rune. The larger its size in inscription in dimensions, the more energy required to activate it – but the more power it can hold, and so the greater the effect. Too, it is an inefficient process, for he is inexperienced. But by writing them in Arrays, arranged in geometric shapes, he can combine multiple concepts and things and create a greater manifold effects. In usage, he can single-cast a Rune-Binding – simply inscribe, empower and activate, and the Rune, or Array, expends its effect – then it is spent, and destroyed in the process and must be remade. Or, in an Array with certain elements added in, it lasts for a long period of time and continuously applies an effect, or at will. Such Arrays are engraved on Inaerion. And Runes, for all their ability, can be easily nullified if the inscription is damaged – even miscast catastrophically if disturbed during activation. Too, they also obey the laws of nature as given by the Gods. The energy to activate each Rune must come from somewhere, energy from heat, or life – he must draw it from things around him, or from within himself. But to draw energy from the former requires knowing the Name of the thing, or inscribing it with Runes. Thus, he sometimes must draw energy from himself if casting without other resources or preparations, or an easy and safe source of energy. This then leaves him weakened and cold, and sometimes close to death.

Within this power are two types of using Runes and Arrays: Sygaldric Rune-Bindings and Sympathetic Rune-Bindings. For the former, he transfers the quality of one thing to another, such as the strength of a stallion to a man, so giving the man more strength. Corresponding runes must be inscribed on both the source and the recipient. As with standard Runes, the greater the inscribed size, the more power it can hold, and thus transfer, but at the same time, corresponding runes may be different sizes to limit the flow of power or its storage. The more alike the two things are too, the better the transfer of qualities. Binding the strength of a mountain into a creature would not work well. But binding the strength of a creature into another creature – that would be among the best. Or, similarly, the heat of one stone to another, to store energy. In the latter, Sympathetic Runes, he binds one object to another such that what happens to one thing happens to the other. If a stone is bound to a stone, and one is lifted, then the other lifts. If a creature’s body is bound to that of another and one is stabbed, the wound will appear on the other.

With both these disciplines in Rune-Binding, and as a whole, he’s discovered several rules, laws of a sort. Overall, the stronger the link, the fuller and greater the transference of qualities and effects. One, the Doctrine of Correspondence: similarity enhances the effects of the link – not simply similarity in size and shape, but in its material, its making, its very identity and history. In its Name. Two, the Principle of Consanguinity: a piece of a thing can represent the whole of a thing, for it shares much of the Name. Three, the Law of Conservation: energy cannot be created or destroyed – it can be only transferred and changed in its forms. Fourth, the Extent of Exactness: the more accurate and precise the Names in the Rune-Binding, the fuller and greater the Binding. Fifth, and final, the Power of Will: the strength of his focus, his belief in the Rune-Binding’s power and its effect matters most importantly – in a phrase, intent is everything. In this way, he cannot effectively bind a bind a flame to a tree and cause it to burn if he doesn’t believe it will. If done lightly without strong intent, or in a distracted state of mind, only a little spark might appear. If anything at all. And for his focus to be sharp, his mind clear, he must have a strong will and be able to ignore distractions.

In and through practice, he has found some things come easier the more and more he comes to know something in the Truth of its Name. The more and more he binds the same thing to his will, the more skilled he becomes, the less effort and energy he has to put into inscribing and empowering the Rune-Binding. While he does not know to what extent this applies, he believes in a future possibility: knowing something so broadly and deeply over time he’d be able to bend it to his will without having to expend any energy and effort in binding it to him.

#StarsandElves

A brilliant app, like normal. Accepted!
And yes, I have indeed heard of him.
Call me Star

The Starlight
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Starlight » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:03 pm

The Starlight wrote:
Sil Arion wrote:I wasn't entirely sure what to write given the premise of the RP as elves blessed with godlike powers, so I went a bit wild trying to come up with ideas for powers that fit a God of Truth and Honor and Bonds [as per normal!] - though I did find some helpful inspiration in a well-loved book series of mine starring a certain red-haired, green-eyed lute-player. You may have heard of him. But here it is! Do let me know if it's too much, or something needs to be changed. I've never been in an RP like this one. But is kinda fun too!

Character App

#StarsandElves

A brilliant app, like normal. Accepted!
And yes, I have indeed heard of him.

Added to the list, but unfortunately, apparently spoilers can't have those types of e's so I had to change it.
My app will be up tomorrow, most likely.
Call me Star

The Starlight
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Starlight » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:46 pm

Two questions for you fellows.
1. Should I take Eluthiel's domain of Skies and make another god, this one of storms and skies?
2. What should the world be called?
Call me Star

The Starlight
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Starlight » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:49 pm

Here's my app so far. Some shameless borrowing from the Stormlight Archive, which if I haven't mentioned, will be made an RP soon by yours truly, which I insist at least some of you join... *cough*Sil*cough*

Character App

Character Name: Eluthiel Illumen

Character Title: The Starkindler, Chosen of Eluthiel. Lightweaver, Lady of Light, First of the Eldar. And Wielder of the Words of Radiance.

Patron/Creator: Eluthiel, Goddess of Stars, Light and Skies

Appearance:

Short Bio: Eluthiel was the first of the awakened. Being touched by the Starkindler, her eyes slowly opened for the first time, and she beheld the sky, full of radiant stars, shining their beauty down upon her. And she was taken with them, and the Goddess saw her wonder, and smiled gently at her. And though the earth, created by Wulea, upon which the Elves now dwell is very beautiful, Eluthiel regards the two moons and the many stars that can be seen at night to be the greatest beauty of all.

And then her Creator spoke to her, showing the creation of the first stars, and her duty upon this earth, to guard and preserve the light, for if it faltered, the darkness would come. And so, the Goddess had created the sun to rule by day, the moon and stars to rule by night. The makings of them were revealed to her, and the ancient enemy of the Goddess, the Darkness. She beheld its form, felt its power and saw a vision of the Final Days, upon which the Darkness will return in full strength, seeking to blot out the light of the sun. She was to stand warden, guardian over the skies, and keep them free of evil. And though she doubted her power, the Goddess showed the elf her own power, and so Eluthiel was reassured.

But she also learned that light was not just the sun, moon and stars. Nay, light is hope, and friendship, and charity and purity and love. Their hearts were overflowing with love, and the Eldar were truly children of Light. And this light, this flame, would not be extinguished, no matter what any might try.

Powers: As the chosen of the Starkindler, Eluthiel's powers reflect the domains of the goddess, of both light, the skies and the stars.

Eluthiel's first power is that of illumination, light manipulation. Putting forth her will and power, she can create, or bend all and any light, most powerful of those the visible light spectrum. She can put forth that power to create beams of light, or constructs of light, all directed by her mind. Eluthiel can also put forth the power of light to create illusions, and due to her power over the spectrum, turn herself, or any object invisible, for only a certain short period of time, which will increase as she grows more familiar with her powers. Her illusions will dissipate when touched, and any sounds made during invisibility can be heard. She can also camouflage herself by turning her clothes into any color required.

Also, Eluthiel can absorb light from anything but living creatures to use, by taking in a breath. The larger breaths she takes, the more light is taken in. This may darken a room, and give her an available power source. However, she must be careful not to breathe too deeply to not turn the atmosphere or her clothes around her into slate gray. This absorbing of light will also make her glow. She refers to this power as infusing, and has created spheres, magical balls that can hold light at any time. If there is no light available, Eluthiel can draw light from the spheres, which will make them dun or colorless. They can be refilled by putting them in the sun or moonlight. She carries these spheres on her person at all times. Eluthiel can infuse these spheres herself with her own power, storing it for later use. She can also infuse any objects with light, such as her clothes, a stick or a sword. As light also creates heat, Eluthiel can heat up any object. If Eluthiel needs energy, sitting in an area with enough moon, star or sunlight will energize her. With her light powers, Eluthiel sees the world slightly differently than most, with the colors she perceives being more radiant than usual. Eluthiel was also gifted with being able to see a person's soul light. This allows her to perceive the goodness within a person by how bright, or dark their soul light is. If a person has sufficiently redeemed themselves, Eluthiel can reset their soullight, allowing them to become a creature of light, rather than darkness. Finally, Eluthiel can create shields, or bubbles of light. No darkness, living being or any material can pass through unless Eluthiel wills it. However, the shields of light will only last for as long as Eluthiel has light to expend or enough power within herself to do so.

Eluthiel's power of the stars relates significantly to that of her powers of light. However, she does wield the Words of Radiance. These Words, given to her by the Goddess were used in the creation of the sun, moon and stars, and allow her to create new bodies of light herself. As befits awesome power such as this, Eluthiel can currently only create little, well, tiny stars, and they cost much energy. The Words are not to be taken lightly, for they can call several of the smaller stars Eluthiel has made to her, for her use. In a way, the Words of Radiance are Eluthiel's ultimate attack, and so have rarely been used as of now.

Powers over the sky are pending.

Additional Information: None
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time - US East Coast.
#StarsandElves
Last edited by The Starlight on Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Star

The Starlight
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Starlight » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:47 pm

5th post by me in a row! C'mon guys!
Anyway, I'm now making this open to the public, anyone may now apply.
Call me Star

Sil Arion
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sil Arion » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:50 am

The Starlight wrote:5th post by me in a row! C'mon guys!

Well, I wouldn't say it's a bad thing holding a conversation with yourself, Star. It's a sign of sanity, right??

So for the setting, is this pseudo-Silmarillion, or something more alike Alagaesia? Just wondering what we'll in terms of good vs. evil and all in between. Will there be dwarves along with the elves, men, fell creatures like orcs and goblins, or maybe beast races? I do think the idea of some 'dark gods' would be interesting, perhaps under the premise of being that came in form outside the world and coveted the creation of the Gods and Goddesses and sought to turn it to their own will - in a backstory, a Creation War of some sort? A war that left all the higher beings weakened so that they can't directly enter or interfere in the world beyond their champions and divine blessings and whatnot. Or something. I do like the idea of two dark gods, one embodying chaotic evil, and the other more ordered - and that they fight amongst themselves and each other as much as anyone else. And some others too, embodying other traditionally evil forces and emotions that consume people - so each side might be roughly equal in power or numbers.

Also, Star, with the Awakening of Elves, is that going to be like the Silmarillion as well? Just wondering whether they'll be just stars in the sky. And if there's a 'Great Journey' or something similar.
Last edited by Sil Arion on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Starlight
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Starlight » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:18 pm

Sil Arion wrote:
The Starlight wrote:5th post by me in a row! C'mon guys!

Well, I wouldn't say it's a bad thing holding a conversation with yourself, Star. It's a sign of sanity, right??

So for the setting, is this pseudo-Silmarillion, or something more alike Alagaesia? Just wondering what we'll in terms of good vs. evil and all in between. Will there be dwarves along with the elves, men, fell creatures like orcs and goblins, or maybe beast races? I do think the idea of some 'dark gods' would be interesting, perhaps under the premise of being that came in form outside the world and coveted the creation of the Gods and Goddesses and sought to turn it to their own will - in a backstory, a Creation War of some sort? A war that left all the higher beings weakened so that they can't directly enter or interfere in the world beyond their champions and divine blessings and whatnot. Or something. I do like the idea of two dark gods, one embodying chaotic evil, and the other more ordered - and that they fight amongst themselves and each other as much as anyone else. And some others too, embodying other traditionally evil forces and emotions that consume people - so each side might be roughly equal in power or numbers.

Also, Star, with the Awakening of Elves, is that going to be like the Silmarillion as well? Just wondering whether they'll be just stars in the sky. And if there's a 'Great Journey' or something similar.

Very funny.

More like the Silmarillion, not nearly as developed as Alagaesia, as this is the beginning.
Yep, there will be dwarves, men, orcs, and perhaps some beast races. They will be different from your typical fantasy races, and will have different names. Don't worry, the Dark gods will happen. But that is quite a good idea. We could make it so that they were defeated, but marred the work of the Earth, but they will return, and that, therefore, weakened the higher beings. Some good ideas. I'll work on expanding them a bit more.

Yep, they look up and see the stars. The Great Journey will not happen, most likely.
Call me Star

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:18 pm

I'll try and finish my app either today or tomorrow.
P2TM Mentor
TG me!

The Starlight
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Starlight » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:21 pm

The Armed Republic of Dutch coolness wrote:I'll try and finish my app either today or tomorrow.

Alrighty then.
Call me Star

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:27 pm

Goddamnit Star. Now I have to join this RP.

Ah well. Moscow was dying anyway.
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

The Starlight
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Starlight » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:13 pm

Lunas Legion wrote:Goddamnit Star. Now I have to join this RP.

:)
You sound so reluctant....

Anyway, anyone you want to reserve?
Call me Star

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:18 pm

The Starlight wrote:
Lunas Legion wrote:Goddamnit Star. Now I have to join this RP.

:)

Just the rapid approach of RL in the form of AS exams.

Probably Lenyae, since RPing a more peaceful and curious character will be something I haven't done in a while.
Last edited by Lunas Legion on Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

The Starlight
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Starlight » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:28 pm

Lunas Legion wrote:
The Starlight wrote: :)

Just the rapid approach of RL in the form of AS exams.

Probably Lenyae, since RPing a more peaceful and curious character will be something I haven't done in a while.

AS? Advanced Studies?

Sure thing. Reserved.
Call me Star

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse