NATION

PASSWORD

New Imperialism - AH RP v 2.1 [OOC, Signup]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

How fun is this RP?

The best, or nearly the best
22%
Among some of the much better ones
38%
Somewhere above average
16%
Pretty decent; not bad
No votes
Not so great; seen better
2%
Really not much
5%
Not at all, whatsoever
19%

Total votes : 64

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:28 am

Carathon wrote:
Marsisian wrote:Not sure many nations will sign that.

Chemical warfare absolutely shouldn't exist in any practical form yet.

*Modern* chemical warfare.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

The Industrial States of Columbia
Senator

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:28 am

Marsisian wrote:
The Industrial States of Columbia wrote:
Ever heard of greek fire, that was chemical warfare :)

That was an early form of napalm? I think?

Comparable to napalm, I beleive a combination of naphta and pigs fat made it burn hot and long.

Don't worry, I am only considering primitive chlorine shells. Not the massive attacks performed in the first great war
Last edited by The Industrial States of Columbia on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cobalt Network Signups-|-Cobalt Network Main Page
A Fan of Type II alternate history
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla
Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished.

Carathon
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Carathon » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:29 am

Carathon wrote:

Using a chemical reaction to produce a flame which burns your enemies does not equal chemical warfare, otherwise all gunpowder weapons would be considered chemical warfare.
I am from the United States, just so you know.

Male.

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Marsisian » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:29 am

Marsisian wrote:That was an early form of napalm? I think?

Comparable to napalm, I beleive a combination of naphta and pigs fat made it burn hot and long

Hot and long. Yeah... hot and long. If you get my drift.
Last edited by Erich von Manstein on June 9, 1973, edited 24 times in total

MGSV: The Phantom Pain hype! Game of the decade!

Carathon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Carathon » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:30 am

Senkaku wrote:
Carathon wrote:

*Modern* chemical warfare.

That what I was implying, yes.

Male.

Senator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:30 am

Marsisian wrote:
Comparable to napalm, I beleive a combination of naphta and pigs fat made it burn hot and long

Hot and long. Yeah... hot and long. If you get my drift.

;)
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla
Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished.

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Marsisian » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:30 am

Carathon wrote:

Using a chemical reaction to produce a flame which burns your enemies does not equal chemical warfare, otherwise all gunpowder weapons would be considered chemical warfare.

Well actually it's using a chemical reaction to propel a projectile at supersonic speeds to an enemy which causes severe wounding or death.
Last edited by Marsisian on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Kingdom of Glitter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Kingdom of Glitter » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:31 am

Just gonna drop this link here

Tbh I don't see all the fuss over Chemical Warfare. It appears to have gotten a historical foothold in 1854, which was then increased during the American Civil War.

As long as Columbia follows a semi-historical path to chemical weapons, such as artillery shells, whatever I don't really see the issue tbh. Let capitalism take its course similar to how it actually did. I don't see why we should restrict it bc it is so immoral and awful. We allow a whole lot of other crap into many RPs we partake in that are a lot less realistic than that.
Last edited by The Kingdom of Glitter on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Carathon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Carathon » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:33 am

Marsisian wrote:
Carathon wrote:

Well actually it's using a chemical reaction to propel a projectile at supersonic speeds to an enemy which causes severe wounding or death.

I wasn't saying that gunpowder weapons using a chemical reaction to produce a flame - that was referring to Greek Fire - I was saying that both use chemical reactions to facilitate the primary cause of injury, the flame and the projectile respectively.

Male.

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Marsisian » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:35 am

Carathon wrote:
Marsisian wrote:Well actually it's using a chemical reaction to propel a projectile at supersonic speeds to an enemy which causes severe wounding or death.

I wasn't saying that gunpowder weapons using a chemical reaction to produce a flame - that was referring to Greek Fire - I was saying that both use chemical reactions to facilitate the primary cause of injury, the flame and the projectile respectively.

Oh, I see.

Carathon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Carathon » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:38 am

The Kingdom of Glitter wrote:Just gonna drop this link here

Tbh I don't see all the fuss over Chemical Warfare. It appears to have gotten a historical foothold in 1854, which was then increased during the American Civil War.

As long as Columbia follows a semi-historical path to chemical weapons, such as artillery shells, whatever I don't really see the issue tbh. Let capitalism take its course similar to how it actually did. I don't see why we should restrict it bc it is so immoral and awful. We allow a whole lot of other crap into many RPs we partake in that are a lot less realistic than that.

I personally don't care if it's immoral, awful etc etc - it just doesn't make sense for some scientists and army brass in the nation wake up one day and decide to implement using chemical shells widely within their military forces. The example you just linked was the result of a military situation that necessitated the use of such weapons to be invented and implemented, not anything developed within a time of peace.

What I'm trying to say is that (modern) chemical warfare should only be actualized when there is a war and a stalemate or some-such situation requires them.

Male.

The Kingdom of Glitter
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Kingdom of Glitter » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:45 am

Carathon wrote:I personally don't care if it's immoral, awful etc etc - it just doesn't make sense for some scientists and army brass in the nation wake up one day and decide to implement using chemical shells widely within their military forces. The example you just linked was the result of a military situation that necessitated the use of such weapons to be invented and implemented, not anything developed within a time of peace.

What I'm trying to say is that (modern) chemical warfare should only be actualized when there is a war and a stalemate or some-such situation requires them.

For all you and I know there was a situation in Columbia's nation's history that could call for the foundation of chemical warfare. Whether it be a civil war, war with a neighboring nation, whatever.

I mean a chemist working would chlorine looking to make a quick buck could also in theory (I suppose) work with chlorine and discover its potential use in artillery shells.

And no fear, the immoral and awful bit wasn't aimed at you. More so at all the people who are just "Your nation's people will hate you bc it is so awful, the world will condemn you, etc. etc." bc no they won't lmafo. Yeah there was outrage over mustard gas, but at the time it was seen as justified due to the world being at war, and whatever opposition there was really wasn't given the chance to make their opinion known. You know what else was immoral and awful? Slavery. Do you know how many centuries it took people to realize that? A few more than it should have. We really shouldn't see a condemnation of chemical weapons until 1899 like we did with the Hague Conference or until after we have a world war, similar to how we did with one of the Genevas.

Tbh I think people are just angry someone else beat them to the idea of just gassing your enemies on the battlefield and now need to justify said anger with useless rants about how immoral things are. #subtweet
Last edited by The Kingdom of Glitter on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Senator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:47 am

Carathon wrote:
The Kingdom of Glitter wrote:Just gonna drop this link here

I personally don't care if it's immoral, awful etc etc - it just doesn't make sense for some scientists and army brass in the nation wake up one day and decide to implement using chemical shells widely within their military forces. The example you just linked was the result of a military situation that necessitated the use of such weapons to be invented and implemented, not anything developed within a time of peace.

My nation is essentially in the mindset of victory at all costs. In our history, we essentially have never won a war using conventional means, and thus chose to use weapons that will break the enemies spirit as well as ranks.
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla

Fortunagen
Minister

Founded: Jan 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fortunagen » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:52 am

Puzikas wrote:
Fortunagen wrote:Fortunagen is a non-nuclear state despite having vast reserves of uranium.

We couldn't POSSIBLY be stocking up for something.

Shutup, Iran! :p

Mistelemr wrote:With how many shootings that happen almost daily now, I find it hard to care.

Sure I hate myself for it, but fuck it, we invited this. It's sad, but at some point you just stop caring. People can scream and cry but nothing will ever get done about it. When was it last that a shooting incident like this (or any other) actually made people legitimately search for answers or try a new approach? None that I can think of, It's been the same people, shouting the same expletives with the same people dying.

I hear they have good internet over in Scandinavia.

One day, I'll make this sig cool again.

Carathon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Carathon » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:53 am

Carathon wrote:

My nation is essentially in the mindset of victory at all costs. In our history, we essentially have never won a war using conventional means, and thus chose to use weapons that will break the enemies spirit as well as ranks.

Hmm. You both make good points, I suppose.

I mean, as-long as it's handled logically I'm fine. I just don't like the idea of a entire military completely equipped with chlorine shells Great War style over-night, you know?

Male.

The Kingdom of Glitter
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Kingdom of Glitter » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:56 am

Carathon wrote:
Hmm. You both make good points, I suppose.

I mean, as-long as it's handled logically I'm fine. I just don't like the idea of a entire military completely equipped with chlorine shells Great War style over-night, you know?

Of which I entirely agree.

As long is it is historically based and can logically occur, it should be a non-issue.
Last edited by The Kingdom of Glitter on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Marsisian » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:58 am

Were bolt-action rifles a thing at this time? Or did it start with the Lebel?

Paketo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Paketo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:02 pm

Marsisian wrote:Were bolt-action rifles a thing at this time? Or did it start with the Lebel?

Mauser-Norris Model 67/69 Rifle[edit]
Between 1867 and 1869, the Mauser brothers and Samuel Norris developed a single shot bolt-action rifle. The caliber and number produced are not known. Ludwig Olson wrote that an example had at one time been on display at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.[10] The rifle was patented in Austria by Samuel Norris on 24 December 1867. The bolt head did not rotate, a feature chosen by Paul Mauser to "protect the heads of paper cartridges from friction and possible damage while locking the bolt, and to provide a non-rotary seat for the extractor when metallic cartridges were used."[10]

An improved version of the rifle used a coil spring wrapped around the firing pin and a safety and a cocking piece attached to the rear of the firing pin.[10][11] This rifle was shown to the Prussian government, and after some design changes to the safety, was accepted for service as the Infantry Rifle Model 71 on 14 February 1872.[10] Often considered a close relative of the Chassepot rifle, and borrowing Dreyse's turning-bolt action lock, still the most innovative features of the new weapon were the work of Peter Paul Mauser

so yes
I'm a Pinarchist, sue me North Carolina is best Carolina States rights is best rights
Emilio Aguinaldo wrote:
Paketo wrote:
Oh god, the universe will explode, everyone to your bunkers

Yep, this is the type of "discussion" we have over here. Serious people beware, this place is filled with these things.

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Marsisian » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:04 pm

Paketo wrote:
Marsisian wrote:Were bolt-action rifles a thing at this time? Or did it start with the Lebel?

Between 1867 and 1869, the Mauser brothers and Samuel Norris developed a single shot bolt-action rifle. The caliber and number produced are not known. Ludwig Olson wrote that an example had at one time been on display at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.[10] The rifle was patented in Austria by Samuel Norris on 24 December 1867. The bolt head did not rotate, a feature chosen by Paul Mauser to "protect the heads of paper cartridges from friction and possible damage while locking the bolt, and to provide a non-rotary seat for the extractor when metallic cartridges were used."[10]

An improved version of the rifle used a coil spring wrapped around the firing pin and a safety and a cocking piece attached to the rear of the firing pin.[10][11] This rifle was shown to the Prussian government, and after some design changes to the safety, was accepted for service as the Infantry Rifle Model 71 on 14 February 1872.[10] Often considered a close relative of the Chassepot rifle, and borrowing Dreyse's turning-bolt action lock, still the most innovative features of the new weapon were the work of Peter Paul Mauser

so yes

Ah. But single-shot weapons aren't really that good in my opinion, you have to reload them every time you take a shot. I hear some had tubular magazines.

Paketo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Paketo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:05 pm

Marsisian wrote:
Paketo wrote:

so yes

Ah. But single-shot weapons aren't really that good in my opinion, you have to reload them every time you take a shot. I hear some had tubular magazines.

mausers had 5 round clips by the 1880's
I'm a Pinarchist, sue me North Carolina is best Carolina States rights is best rights
Emilio Aguinaldo wrote:
Paketo wrote:
Oh god, the universe will explode, everyone to your bunkers

Yep, this is the type of "discussion" we have over here. Serious people beware, this place is filled with these things.

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Marsisian » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:06 pm

Paketo wrote:
Marsisian wrote:Ah. But single-shot weapons aren't really that good in my opinion, you have to reload them every time you take a shot. I hear some had tubular magazines.

mausers had 5 round clips by the 1880's

Huh. I didn't know.

Kryskov
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryskov » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:08 pm

The Kingdom of Glitter wrote:

As long is it is historically based and can logically occur, it should be a non-issue.

I mean I just don't want to be at the constant end of a gaseous barrel that's gonna fire once tables are turned. So, naturally, I have a reason to, OOCly and ICly, lobby for its prohibition.

The Kingdom of Glitter
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Kingdom of Glitter » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:10 pm

Kryskov wrote:

I mean I just don't want to be at the constant end of a gaseous barrel that's gonna fire once tables are turned. So, naturally, I have a reason to, OOCly and ICly, lobby for its prohibition.

And bias really shouldn't be a reason why someone should be prohibited from doing something entirely historically reasonable and not entirely illogical

The Holy Dominion of Inesea
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:16 pm

Kryskov wrote:I mean I just don't want to be at the constant end of a gaseous barrel that's gonna fire once tables are turned. So, naturally, I have a reason to, OOCly and ICly, lobby for its prohibition.

And bias really shouldn't be a reason why someone should be prohibited from doing something entirely historically reasonable and not entirely illogical

Chlorine gas isn't economical until someone invents the chloroalkali process, which should be in another decade.
I'm really tired

The Kingdom of Glitter
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Kingdom of Glitter » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:17 pm

The Holy Dominion of Inesea wrote:

Chlorine gas isn't economical until someone invents the chloroalkali process, which should be in another decade.

Whether or not it is economical or not just impacts how much someone is welling to spend on chlorine. At least that is what I assumed you meant by economical, as in it costs too much.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse