NATION

PASSWORD

New Imperialism - AH RP v 2.1 [OOC, Signup]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

How fun is this RP?

The best, or nearly the best
22%
Among some of the much better ones
38%
Somewhere above average
16%
Pretty decent; not bad
No votes
Not so great; seen better
2%
Really not much
5%
Not at all, whatsoever
19%

Total votes : 64

Kryskov
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryskov » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:08 pm

The Khedive wrote:
Baja California y Sonora wrote:Why is there so much purple?

Those are reserved nations.

poor uruguay

Alleniana
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:12 pm

The Industrial States of Columbia wrote:Application

Name:The Kingdom of Pallasia (England, and Scotland)

Ideology/policy, desc. ethnicity, imports/exports, stuff like that need a bit more detail, but good app, acceptobus.
Baja California y Sonora wrote:
The Khedive wrote:Claims good?

Why is there so much purple?

I made a map of all reservations, and reservations were purple.

Claims issues;
Why not take all of the Rhineland? Western south Germany was reserved for you anyway, also. Though it being part of Bavaria is cool too.
What's with the single province of Bohemia? y u partition do dis
Denmark owns more; somewhere between the modern border and the province below that
Could I shift your African province one prov. to the east? Would make more sense considering local geography IMO

The Emerald Dragon
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dragon » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:13 pm

Alleniana wrote:
The Industrial States of Columbia wrote:Application

Name:The Kingdom of Pallasia (England, and Scotland)

Ideology/policy, desc. ethnicity, imports/exports, stuff like that need a bit more detail, but good app, acceptobus.
Baja California y Sonora wrote:Why is there so much purple?

Claims issues;
Why not take all of the Rhineland? Western south Germany was reserved for you anyway, also. Though it being part of Bavaria is cool too.
Denmark owns more; somewhere between the modern border and the province below that
Could I shift your African province one prov. to the east? Would make more sense considering local geography IMO

Um... have you lost your mind?

Calt's already got Britain.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:14 pm

I will give anyone here five hundred-ish dollars that are currently sitting in one of my drawers if you send me a bag of powdered sugar and a spoon within the next five minutes.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Sabara
Senator

Founded: Jan 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sabara » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:16 pm

Application

Name: The Confederation of Switzerland and Piedmont (German: Bundesvereinigung der Schweiz und Piemont/Italian: Confederazione Svizzera e il Piemonte/French: Confédération des Suisse et Piémont) (Demonym: The most common references to the people of Switzerland-Piedmont are 'Swiss', 'Italian,' or 'Swiss-Italian.')

Symbols: Flag

Claims: Switzerland, Piedmont, Liguria (My Italian claims with the exception of northern Piedmont can be nullified if needed)

Power: Switzerland-Piedmont is a regional power, with slightly lower influence than secondary powers. Although it holds a large amount of economic standing in Europe; it doesn't have a powerful enough military to contend as a major player in international politics.

Government Structure: The Confederation is a federal directorial republic. Switzerland-Piedmont's National Assembly is made up of two houses; the Council of States and National Council. The National Council is a direct representation of the people (universal suffrage), while the Council of States is made up of deputies elected by the individual canton governments. A Chancellor is elected by the Council of States, and is the de-facto head of state.

Ideology/Policy: Switzerland-Piedmont's legislature is elected by the people, so it represents the interests of the entire nation. As a result, it follows libertarianism in much of it's economic policy, but is socially more conservative (because much of the population is Christian).

Leaders: Leon Leuthard (Chancellor)

Capital City: Bern.

Population: 16,801,910
Primary Ethnic Groups: German, Italian
Minority Ethnic Groups: French, Romanian

Description of Ethnicity: Imagine a bunch of happy Germans and Frenchmen living in urban conglomerates eating chocolate, working hard, and co-existing with no real problems. That's Switzerland. It's slightly different in Piedmont. Although they're equally rich, there's a stronger sense of national identity and desire for additional autonomy. So in that sense, Switzerland-Piedmontese culture is more prone to fragment than, say, France.

Language: Swiss German is the 'lingua franca' of Switzerland-Piedmont, although the Piedmontese/Ligurian areas mostly speak Italian.

Religion: During the early Reformation, most of northern Switzerland converted to Protestantism due to the efforts of Huldrych Zwingli. The city of Genoa was converted to the Reformed faith in 1548, and the surrounding townships followed suit. However, Lucerne in central Switzerland and Torino in western Piedmont remained strongly Catholic. The division between Catholics and Protestants resulted in several wars during the 1550s. Ultimately, the Protestants were victorious. This resulted in several anti-Catholic laws that were largely ineffective. When the edicts of tolerance were issued in 1712, there were still some small skirmishes that eventually died out.

Swiss Reformed: ~55%
Roman Catholic Church:~35%

Foreign Relations: Switzerland-Piedmont actively pursues a policy of neutrality, as it is surrounded by major powers like France and -insert big german nation here-. However, as an emerging naval power in the Mediterranean, many suspect that a rivalry may emerge with Catalonia/Naples.

Military Information: The Swiss-Piedmontese Armed Forces' main goal and purpose is to defend the country from foreign threats, not imperialism. As a result, it is focused on developing fortifications in the mountainous country, especially the border with France. Recently, the National Assembly has passed multiple initiatives to modernize and expand the navy, to expand Swiss-Piedmontese influence in the Mediterranean.

Army Size: ~140,000. 70,000 active.
Navy Size: 1 Battleship, 5 Monitors, 11 Frigates, 9 Man o' Wars, 3 Sloops, 6 Torpedo Boats, 1 submarine

Economic Policy: Traditionally, Switzerland-Piedmont has a laissez-faire approach to economics, with minimal government interference in free enterprise. However, with the Acts of Labour passed in 1870 (a response to a massive general strike in Zurich), workers are able to organize labour unions and enforce their rights. Education is subsidized through the age of 15.

Economic Situation: Switzerland-Piedmont modernized relatively early for it's location, and is home to one of the largest industrial centers in south-central Europe. However, with the Acts of Labour, the economy has become less reliant on cheap labour and the financial sector is becoming more important.

Infrastructure: A modern and kept-up system of railroads and roads connects the isolated cities of Switzerland with the southern industrial cities of Turin and Genoa. Bern and Zurich, the largest city in the country, are accessible from virtually all major western European capitals through all forms of transportation.

Imports & Exports: Imports: foodstuffs, chocolate, coffee, weaponry, steel/Exports: textiles, metals, machinery, steel, watches, fish, foodstuffs. Switzerland-Piedmont's political stability has made Switzerland a safe haven for investors, and is now a center of banking.
Currency: Swiss Franc

History: After the establishment of the Old Swiss Confederacy's de-facto independence from the Holy Roman Empire (The Swabian Wars of 1499), the Confederacy of cantons was set to become a successful military power in it's region; forewarning the decline of Savoy. In 1512, the Swiss-Savoyard wars began with the highly trained and powerful armies of the Confederacy staging an invasion of the Aosta Valley in northern Piedmont. Swiss armies marched south to Turin, and took the city after a long siege. Exhausted, Savoy agreed to a humiliating treaty which forced it to join the Confederacy (1515). Thus; the canton of Piedmont was established, and the modern state of Switzerland-Piedmont was in the making.

Genoa and Milan were infuriated with the vassalization of Savoy, declaring war on Switzerland in the autumn of 1524. A long, bloody power-struggle enveloped the three nations for five years. In the early stages of the war, Milan and Genoa scored rapid victories, capturing Turin in 1525. However, the Swiss army were more experienced in alpine warfare, where they defeated a large Milanese force at Sion. This turned the tide of the conflict into the Confederacy's favor. The triumphant Swiss Army chased the retreating, demoralized armies of Milan into Lombardy. Faced with complete defeat, the Duchy surrendered in 1528. Without Milan, Genoa crumbled. The Swiss army raced into Liguria, capturing the capital after a short siege. The war finally ended in 1530, with the annexation of Liguria under the Confederacy. Liguria was fully integrated in 1541, with the establishment of the Liguria Canton.

Just when it looked like Switzerland was poised to become a dominating force in Northern Italy, the Reformation hit in full force. Several reformed theologians journeyed to Zurich, and managed to convert much of the population. From there, protestantism spread through the different cantons like wildfire. As this new form of Christianity became entrenched, tensions between the Catholic/Protestant cantons was threatening to break apart the confederacy. Inter-cantonal conflicts erupted in 1550, called the 'Wars of Kappel.' The conflicts would last for thirty years, with a protestant victory. Only the major power's dependence on Swiss mercenaries kept Switzerland from foreign invasion.

During the Early Modern period of Swiss history, the growing authoritarianism of the patriciate families combined with a financial crisis in the wake of the Thirty Years' War led to the Ligurian Revolt of 1634 and the Swiss peasant war of 1653. In the background to this struggle, the conflict between Catholic and Protestant cantons persisted, erupting in further violence at the Battles of Villmergen in 1656 and 1712. At the end of these bloody conflicts, war-weary cantons were desperate to stop further violence from destroying Switzerland. All 15 of the cantons (including Liguria and Piedmont) met in Lucerne to establish an edict of religious tolerance for all of the Confederacy. It became known as the "Edict de Lucerne", (1720) and laid the groundwork for a united Swiss/Piedmontese nation.

In 1798, the French revolutionary government (embroiled in war with Austria) declared war on Switzerland and conquered the southernmost cantons of the Confederacy. However, they were unable to advance north into the heart of the nation. This was partly due to the geographical make-up of the region, and the heroic effort of Swiss defenders. The French Army finally occupied the rest of the country in 1800, and Napoleon declared the new 'Republic of Switzerland', a satellite state of France. However, the Swiss and Piedmontese were left with a shared sense of national identity.

When Napoleon was defeated in 1815, the Congress of Vienna of 1815 fully re-established Swiss independence and the European powers agreed to permanently recognise Swiss neutrality. At this time, the territory of Switzerland was increased for the last time, by the new cantons of Valais, Neuchâtel and Geneva.

The Confederacy was now more volatile than ever, and the Swiss/Piedmontese realized the need to create a centralized state in order to protect themselves and consolidate Swiss power in Europe. Thus, while the rest of Europe saw revolutionary uprisings, the Swiss and Piedmontese drew up a constitution which provided for a federal layout, much of it inspired by the American example. This constitution provided for a central authority while leaving the cantons the right to self-government on local issues. The modern nation of Switzerland-Piedmont was created.

As the industrial revolution spread throughout Europe, Switzerland-Piedmont experienced rapid modernization. Industrial centers popped up from Zurich to Genoa, with steel and textile factories making up the backbone of Swiss-Piedmontese industry. Railroads connected these centers together, and the region entered a period of growth and stability unseen since the early sixteenth century.

-The End-

Miscellaneous: Swiss Cantons: 13 (The largest is Zurich)/Piedmontese Cantons: 5 (The largest is Torino)/Ligurian Cantons: 1 (Genoa)

RP Example: (Look at the link in my sig.)
Last edited by Sabara on Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A unique MT rp: Tiandi

The Industrial States of Columbia
Senator

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:17 pm

The Emerald Dragon wrote:
Alleniana wrote:Ideology/policy, desc. ethnicity, imports/exports, stuff like that need a bit more detail, but good app, acceptobus.

Claims issues;

Um... have you lost your mind?

Calt's already got Britain.

I am the disgruntled monarchy, I only have claims to ze throne
Cobalt Network Signups-|-Cobalt Network Main Page
A Fan of Type II alternate history
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla
Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:20 pm

Senkaku wrote:I will give anyone here five hundred-ish dollars that are currently sitting in one of my drawers if you send me a bag of powdered sugar and a spoon within the next five minutes.

How do you send those dollars?
Stormwrath wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:You people can call me...AA. Or Alt.
Or Tito.

I'm calling you "non-aligned comrade."

A proud Nationalist
Winner for Best War RP of 2016

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:21 pm

Senkaku wrote:I will give anyone here five hundred-ish dollars that are currently sitting in one of my drawers if you send me a bag of powdered sugar and a spoon within the next five minutes.

pls whot
@Sabara, northern Italy is claimed right now but if the reservation expires, I'll look at your app

The Emerald Dragon
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dragon » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:21 pm

Your drawers are so warm.

Hold it... this is your underwear drawer!

*Runs off*

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:24 pm

Alleniana wrote:

pls whot
@Sabara, northern Italy is claimed right now but if the reservation expires, I'll look at your app

I require sustenance. Immediately. Powdered sugar is easily digestible by humans and will provide me with immediate caloric benefit. Thus I am providing a monetary reward for the delivery of said powdered sugar to my person, along with a utensil with which to consume it.

I'll give you $400 to send it without the spoon. I can just rub it into my gums or something. Or stick my head in the bag.

Sabara
Senator

Founded: Jan 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sabara » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:24 pm

Alleniana wrote:

pls whot

Okay.. I spent quite a bit of time on that app, so I'm crossing my fingers that the reservation expires.
A unique MT rp: Tiandi

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:25 pm

The Emerald Dragon wrote:

Your drawers are so warm.

Hold it... this is your underwear drawer!

*Runs off*

*whistles*
I didn't realize you wanted that kind of relationship, but I'm down if you are. :p
Last edited by Senkaku on Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:25 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Alleniana wrote:pls whot

I require sustenance. Immediately. Powdered sugar is easily digestible by humans and will provide me with immediate caloric benefit. Thus I am providing a monetary reward for the delivery of said powdered sugar to my person, along with a utensil with which to consume it.

I'll give you $400 to send it without the spoon. I can just rub it into my gums or something. Or stick my head in the bag.

If you actually want a sugar fix, I've got a tip; get some regular sugar, and mix about a tablespoon into a glass of milk. Lovely.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:25 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Alleniana wrote:pls whot

Not the photo of the bag and the spoon, but the real thing?
Stormwrath wrote:
Or Tito.

A proud Nationalist

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:26 pm

Alleniana wrote:
Senkaku wrote:I require sustenance. Immediately. Powdered sugar is easily digestible by humans and will provide me with immediate caloric benefit. Thus I am providing a monetary reward for the delivery of said powdered sugar to my person, along with a utensil with which to consume it.

If you actually want a sugar fix, I've got a tip; get some regular sugar, and mix about a tablespoon into a glass of milk. Lovely.

But my legs hurt so much.... I don't want to get up...

Oh look, a box of mini-donuts. How convenient.

brb

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:27 pm

Altito Asmoro wrote:
Senkaku wrote:I require sustenance. Immediately. Powdered sugar is easily digestible by humans and will provide me with immediate caloric benefit. Thus I am providing a monetary reward for the delivery of said powdered sugar to my person, along with a utensil with which to consume it.

Not the photo of the bag and the spoon, but the real thing?

You can send a photo of the spoon, but I'd like some real sugar (and I think these chocolate mini-donuts have me covered now).

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:27 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Alleniana wrote:If you actually want a sugar fix, I've got a tip; get some regular sugar, and mix about a tablespoon into a glass of milk. Lovely.

brb

hehh

The Industrial States of Columbia
Senator

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:28 pm

Alleniana wrote:

Add a teaspoon of vanilla as well :D
Cobalt Network Signups-|-Cobalt Network Main Page
A Fan of Type II alternate history
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla
Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:28 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Alleniana wrote:If you actually want a sugar fix, I've got a tip; get some regular sugar, and mix about a tablespoon into a glass of milk. Lovely.

brb

There is poison in it.

Made by Sugar. Courtesy of your country.
Stormwrath wrote:
Or Tito.

A proud Nationalist

Baja California y Sonora
Minister

Founded: Oct 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Baja California y Sonora » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:29 pm

While your at it, take a whiff of cocaine for ever-lasting energy.

Greater Mobile
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 19, 2014
Capitalizt

Postby Greater Mobile » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:31 pm

Al, if nobody claims Canada and we treat it as uncolonized land, would it just be open to GP's?
This post made possible by a public-private partnership with the Greater Mobile Coalition of Big BusinessTM. GMCBB: It’s our Republic, you’re just living in it!

Carathon
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Carathon » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:31 pm

Sorry if I'm reigniting a old subject... but why would Ryukyu support a independent Japan, when one of the first things said Independent Japan would try to do is probably have it for breakfast?

At-least with the Mongol Empire, you can rely on internal conflict meaning they always have more pressing things to do then to bother with a chain of barren islands.
I am from the United States, just so you know.

Male.

Greater Mobile
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 19, 2014
Capitalizt

Postby Greater Mobile » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:32 pm

Greater Mobile wrote:Al, if nobody claims Canada and we treat it as uncolonized land, would it just be open to GP's?

Or will it be into NPC
This post made possible by a public-private partnership with the Greater Mobile Coalition of Big BusinessTM. GMCBB: It’s our Republic, you’re just living in it!

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:32 pm

The Industrial States of Columbia wrote:

Add a teaspoon of vanilla as well :D

No, no, just a tiny drop. If you have any.
Greater Mobile wrote:Al, if nobody claims Canada and we treat it as uncolonized land, would it just be open to GP's?

No, anybody in the region/with the naval power could go for it. I suspect we'll see it partitioned between German and Alaska mainly, with bits to California and New France maybe.

Carathon wrote:Sorry if I'm reigniting a old subject... but why would Ryukyu support a independent Japan, when one of the first things said Independent Japan would try to do is probably have it for breakfast?

At-least with the Mongol Empire, you can rely on internal conflict meaning they always have more pressing things to do then to bother with a chain of barren islands.

An independent Japan would be subject to the same strife, but have less capital to work with.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:34 pm

Carathon wrote:Sorry if I'm reigniting a old subject... but why would Ryukyu support a independent Japan, when one of the first things said Independent Japan would try to do is probably have it for breakfast?

That's what I said!!! Better the devil you know, right?

But nooooo..... :roll:

Baja California y Sonora wrote:While your at it, take a whiff of cocaine for ever-lasting energy.

Ever-lasting... until I die of an OD.
I think I'll just roll with an ibuprofen.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse