NATION

PASSWORD

Odysseus: Sailing Embers. (IC Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ethirus
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ethirus » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:57 pm

Francis blinked slightly as a message was sent to him

New Babylonia wrote:
Message to Francis Valetta
Subject: Public Records and Archives opened.

Under orders from Commander Dawn, all public records have been lifted from the temporary information closure ordered after the incident. All public records are now unlocked and once again may be viewed by civilians. Please notify.

He sent a reply in the affirmative before connecting himself to the ship's announcement systems

"This Francis Valetta with a surprise announcement," he said no Holo images this time, only his voice resounding throughout the Odysseus.

"Under orders from Commander Dawn, all public records have been lifted from the temporary information closure ordered after the incident. All public records are now unlocked and once again may be viewed by civilians. All public records are now officially unlocked. Please ensure records be used in a mature and orderly fashion as to avoid Data corruption. This was Francis Valetta, signing off"

Francis sighed to himself before connecting to the holo-cams again this time watching the citizens flock to the public access terminals, and a distraught looking pony leave the terminals in a rush.

Slorch
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Slorch » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:32 am

Orangi wrote:
Slorch wrote:
"Well lets start with why your here," replied Bentu. "The Odysseus picked up the distress signal from your ship some time ago, and the captain set course for it. After fighting off some pirates we brought you aboard. The leadership aboard this ship are wary of outsiders so that's probably why you were sent here under guard with your possessions taken. Now if you'll walk with me perhaps we can see about your shoes." said the ambassador.

"Alright, sure- and thanks. Floor's damn cold." Marran said, walking alongside the somewhat gangly alien. His movements were ponderous and deliberate, as though each one was thought out. It didn't necessarily look like a struggle, but it was different for sure. "I don't know if we're allowed to opt for positions on this ship, but I used to be the chief engineer on my craft and kept her running pretty well. Have Zero-G combat training and experience too, but nothing fantastic like I'm sure some more specialized grunts have." Marran said as they walked past a door and into a fairly large corridor. The scale of even the hallways, was immense.

"...So what brings you to this ship? You're not the kind of guy I expect to see aboard military vessels."

"Don't worry about it. It is my job after all," replied the ambassador, " Hum, yes orders from the leadership are to get all people aboard this ship to contribute what ever skills they have to ensure the continued smooth running of this vessel." He then continued on, "Well, the reason I am here is some what like yours. This ship and all you see on it are the only remnants of the people that were once on Cereis. The planet was attacked some time ago while I was stationed on the planet as the chief ambassador for the Tau Empire. The fleet in orbit was completely decimated save for this ship which just barely made it out." Walking to the end of the corridor Bentu saw who he was looking for."Ah here we go the local quartermaster. Hello there sir could you give me my companions gear back please."
"... Ultramarines never have to deal with shit like that. Then again, they are the Ultramarines. Rebels don't surrender out of fear of them, they surrender because the last they want is another lecture about their prowess in battle."- AETEN II
Slorch wrote:click the 'wrote' button.
Nua Corda wrote:click the 'wrote' button.

Fluttershy is Best pony

Orangi
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Orangi » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:26 pm

Slorch wrote:
Orangi wrote:
"Alright, sure- and thanks. Floor's damn cold." Marran said, walking alongside the somewhat gangly alien. His movements were ponderous and deliberate, as though each one was thought out. It didn't necessarily look like a struggle, but it was different for sure. "I don't know if we're allowed to opt for positions on this ship, but I used to be the chief engineer on my craft and kept her running pretty well. Have Zero-G combat training and experience too, but nothing fantastic like I'm sure some more specialized grunts have." Marran said as they walked past a door and into a fairly large corridor. The scale of even the hallways, was immense.

"...So what brings you to this ship? You're not the kind of guy I expect to see aboard military vessels."

"Don't worry about it. It is my job after all," replied the ambassador, " Hum, yes orders from the leadership are to get all people aboard this ship to contribute what ever skills they have to ensure the continued smooth running of this vessel." He then continued on, "Well, the reason I am here is some what like yours. This ship and all you see on it are the only remnants of the people that were once on Cereis. The planet was attacked some time ago while I was stationed on the planet as the chief ambassador for the Tau Empire. The fleet in orbit was completely decimated save for this ship which just barely made it out." Walking to the end of the corridor Bentu saw who he was looking for."Ah here we go the local quartermaster. Hello there sir could you give me my companions gear back please."

Marran looked before him. A case was under a fresh change of his uniform. He removed his shirt, and just as he reached for the BDU's top, the quartermaster gave him a stern look.

"...What?" Marran asked.

"Sir, please change your clothes in private." He said, averting his eyes. Marran looked puzzled for a second, and looked to Bentu for some form of reassurance. Bentu gestured at his discarded shirt.

"Oh. Sorry." Marran said as he put his shirt on. Things were different here. Aboard The Steadfast, it wasn't abnormal to, if you were given fresh clothes or needed to change, do so in the middle of conversation. The vessel was fairly cramped and nobody paid mind to such trivial things. But he had to adjust.

"Thank you. You'll also want to take this. On the way to your destination, fill in the blanks and we'll give you an Odysseus Identification Badge after you've sorted everything out." The Quartermaster said as he handed a tablet to Marran, who took pace behind the Ambassador.

"Sorry for that awkward exchange." Marran said, the ambassador waving it off as he led Marran forward.

"So this ship... Kinda' like me but on a bigger scale? Where does everyone live- camps? Cargo bay? In regards to skills, I was my ship's chief engineer and I do have noteworthy training in sidarms and Personal Defense Weaponry. Not a great carbine shot but I mean, if I can't figure out how the engineering here goes I could apply for a guard position... If they'd even allow that. I have no idea what I'm doing here right now. More than anything I just want to go back home." Marran said, slinging the case over his shoulder as he filled out the information in the tablet with no hesitation. He understood that he'd need to be filed during his stay.

"...Guess that's what everybody here wants though. So what attacked the planet? Do you guys even know? What's the Tau Empire- can we go to them for help or... Are they cut off too?"
The Sovereign Republic of Orangi: World Assembly Member

Slorch
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Slorch » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:00 pm

Orangi wrote:
Slorch wrote:

Marran looked before him. A case was under a fresh change of his uniform. He removed his shirt, and just as he reached for the BDU's top, the quartermaster gave him a stern look.

"...What?" Marran asked.

"Sir, please change your clothes in private." He said, averting his eyes. Marran looked puzzled for a second, and looked to Bentu for some form of reassurance. Bentu gestured at his discarded shirt.

"Oh. Sorry." Marran said as he put his shirt on. Things were different here. Aboard The Steadfast, it wasn't abnormal to, if you were given fresh clothes or needed to change, do so in the middle of conversation. The vessel was fairly cramped and nobody paid mind to such trivial things. But he had to adjust.

"Thank you. You'll also want to take this. On the way to your destination, fill in the blanks and we'll give you an Odysseus Identification Badge after you've sorted everything out." The Quartermaster said as he handed a tablet to Marran, who took pace behind the Ambassador.

"Sorry for that awkward exchange." Marran said, the ambassador waving it off as he led Marran forward.

"So this ship... Kinda' like me but on a bigger scale? Where does everyone live- camps? Cargo bay? In regards to skills, I was my ship's chief engineer and I do have noteworthy training in sidarms and Personal Defense Weaponry. Not a great carbine shot but I mean, if I can't figure out how the engineering here goes I could apply for a guard position... If they'd even allow that. I have no idea what I'm doing here right now. More than anything I just want to go back home." Marran said, slinging the case over his shoulder as he filled out the information in the tablet with no hesitation. He understood that he'd need to be filed during his stay.

"...Guess that's what everybody here wants though. So what attacked the planet? Do you guys even know? What's the Tau Empire- can we go to them for help or... Are they cut off too?"

"Not, a problem." replied Bentu. He watched as his companion filled out the form with no hesitation. Was this due to obedience or fear he wondered? "Yes, this ship is more or less in the same position you were in. The current plan for houseing to to retro fit cargo containers for houseing blocks. This is also where we are headed now. Once you fill out that form and we get you to the local administration office we'll know what job you can do. It will most likely be in engineering as we have more than enough guards. There are many different theories running around right now as to what attacked the planet, but nothing solid. As for the Tau Empire there currently to far away to be of any help. That and the fact that last time I was in communication with them they were at war." said the Ambassador. The two continued there walk through the ship to section that his office was located.
Last edited by Slorch on Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"... Ultramarines never have to deal with shit like that. Then again, they are the Ultramarines. Rebels don't surrender out of fear of them, they surrender because the last they want is another lecture about their prowess in battle."- AETEN II

Fluttershy is Best pony

Orangi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Orangi » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:38 pm

Tapping the, "Enter" key on his tablet, Marran looked around for somewhere to turn it in. One of the crewmen walked by, and Marran stopped him.

"Hey, where do I put this registration form?" He asked. The crewman backpedaled and looked at Marran's companion.

"Give it to him. He should be able to help process it, if not do it himself. Anything else you need?" The crewman asked, eyes darting back to his destination occasionally. "I'm in a bit of a hurry, civvies are checking out data at the public terminal about family and friends- I need to go get my stuff ready for eventual repairs."

"Yeah. Is there a bathroom nearby? I need to use it and change as well." Marran said. The crewman looked to his side and leaned on the wall next to him. The wall slowly pivoted open and revealed a pristine white room.

"Yeah. Right here. Kind of blends in. Have a good day refugee." He said, walking away. Marran nodded, and scurried into the bathroom. While inside, his thoughts drifted- even though it was somewhat difficult to think through the relief. Freshly processed BDUs, at least two changes inside. New pair of boots, ID processing, an ambassador walking with him, and a plethora of crewmen and civilians aboard this massive starship.

He had a feeling he wasn't going anywhere any time soon.

Marran disrobed, opened the case and removed the clothes inside. As he put them on, he was surprised at how well they fit. Also unexpected was, a copy of his old rank badge was still on the collar. As he zipped up his snugly fit uniform and laced his boots, he was curious as to how applicable such a badge was in his current situation. He would keep it for now.

His H-Harness was not present however. Then again, why would it need to be? It's not as though he even had a weapon to carry. He walked out of the bathroom, case still in hand.

"Sorry for the wait Ambassador. Let's continue... And uh, how's it fitting?" He asked, taking a look at himself again.

Slorch
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Slorch » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:23 pm

Orangi wrote:Tapping the, "Enter" key on his tablet, Marran looked around for somewhere to turn it in. One of the crewmen walked by, and Marran stopped him.

"Hey, where do I put this registration form?" He asked. The crewman backpedaled and looked at Marran's companion.

"Give it to him. He should be able to help process it, if not do it himself. Anything else you need?" The crewman asked, eyes darting back to his destination occasionally. "I'm in a bit of a hurry, civvies are checking out data at the public terminal about family and friends- I need to go get my stuff ready for eventual repairs."

"Yeah. Is there a bathroom nearby? I need to use it and change as well." Marran said. The crewman looked to his side and leaned on the wall next to him. The wall slowly pivoted open and revealed a pristine white room.

"Yeah. Right here. Kind of blends in. Have a good day refugee." He said, walking away. Marran nodded, and scurried into the bathroom. While inside, his thoughts drifted- even though it was somewhat difficult to think through the relief. Freshly processed BDUs, at least two changes inside. New pair of boots, ID processing, an ambassador walking with him, and a plethora of crewmen and civilians aboard this massive starship.

He had a feeling he wasn't going anywhere any time soon.

Marran disrobed, opened the case and removed the clothes inside. As he put them on, he was surprised at how well they fit. Also unexpected was, a copy of his old rank badge was still on the collar. As he zipped up his snugly fit uniform and laced his boots, he was curious as to how applicable such a badge was in his current situation. He would keep it for now.

His H-Harness was not present however. Then again, why would it need to be? It's not as though he even had a weapon to carry. He walked out of the bathroom, case still in hand.

"Sorry for the wait Ambassador. Let's continue... And uh, how's it fitting?" He asked, taking a look at himself again.

Marran had handed the tablet over to Bentu before walking in. Pulling out his own ID card he inserted it in the slot typed in a few commands and sent the order on it's way to the administration office. Seeing Marran walk back out he put up is ID and the tablet and responded "It's no problem really. As for the fit I think it's fine." Bentu then motioned for Marran to keep following him. Some time later they arrived at his office. "Well here we are why don't you take a seat while I get your Id and forms sorted?" asked Bentu. With this he walked behind his desk to one of the mini fabrication machines in his office. Pluging his ID card in made it turn on with a soft hum it then beeped to show that it was ready. After a few more clicks, commands, and about 5 minuets the ID card in question was done. "Well here you go. If you need anything you can most likely find me here," said the ambassador as he handed over the card.

Fluttershy is Best pony

Orangi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Orangi » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:31 pm

"Thanks, Ambassador Bentu. I appreciate it. I'll go ahead an-"

"Marran Varri." A filtered voice spoke from behind him. Marran's eyebrows raise as he rose from the chair and turned. He saw a man carrying a weapon- looked to be a modified pistol, carbine attachments for longer range and utility. The man wore a Gunmetal Grey and White padded jumpsuit with, "O.D.P.D." running across his chest alongside a name. "Fredrick".

"That's me." Marran said, doing his utmost to keep his composure. This would be no issue aboard The Torren or any other large Orranian vessel. But this wasn't home, no matter what type of hospitality he received from its occupants.

"Your ID has been processed. You're to come with me to a nearby office. If you're worried, nothing will occur so long as you're compliant." He said behind a black visor. Marran wasn't comfortable with this, but what option did he have?

"Yes sir." He said as he followed the officer out of the room. "So, I'm going to guess that O.D.P.D. means, "Ody-"

"Odysseus Police Department. Patrolmen were corralled from their duties- non essential, and assigned to Hangars 2 and 3 to guard the populace and crew."

"Aren't crew members armed?"

"Yes. However, civilians are aboard our ship and are being sorted into living spaces that we have plans to expand and convert further. To reaffirm some sense of normality, we're installing a police force and basic laws."

Marran was half confused, half fully understanding. This was like nothing he'd ever experienced before.

"Why are you telling me all this?

"It's common knowledge, so it's not like I need to keep secrets. We're here. Step inside." The officer said as Marran somewhat hesitantly walked in. The door behind him shut, clicked, and his eyes darted around the room briefly.

He hoped this would end well, whatever it was.
Last edited by Orangi on Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slorch
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Slorch » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:42 pm

After Fredrick had left with Marran, Bentu summoned the commander of the Tau military forces on the ship. After exchanging the needed pleasentries, of which there were little due to the military nature of the Fire Caste, he said, " I want you to arrange for a 3 man team to observe Marran the man I was just helping and talking too. Something about that guards attitude was off." He nodded and went off to carry out the request. He himself want back to work. There was little that he could do until something came up and he still a a metric ton of paperwork to do.
Last edited by Slorch on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fluttershy is Best pony

Quidomne
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 19, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Quidomne » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:23 am

"Big. So...big."

Rivette trotted along the carefully planned-out path to the mess hall, her thoughts swirling in her mind, capturing her attention while her motor skills went on autopilot, her face a blank slate.
The size of this ship absolutely astounded her. How they can keep it all working and everything on schedule...it wasn't something she could comprehend. She was used to working on machines before, but nothing more complicated than an engine or a simple automaton. But this...she enjoyed her job she has here and is happy to learn...but she was thankful that other pon-...people were there to help.

Old habit, she supposed...

She enjoys her downtime more than her job, though, it seems. Fixing things, odds and ends, doing odd jobs, a screw here, a nut there, earning a bit of dosh on side...it was nice. Calming. Familiar. It feels...right. Building little doodads and bobbles...they cover her living space. Keeps her busy, occupied, anything other than...

The nightmares.

Fire. All she can see is fire. The heat penetrates her being, searing, overbearing. And the screams. Nothing she can do to help...nothing...nothing...

She blinked.

"Calm down, Rivette. Not now. Just think about something else..."

That red-headed earth pony she seen around the ship. Vein, that was it. S. Vein. She seemed nice. Bit rough around the edges, but not surprising given this environment. A good combing, maybe...would be nice to look at the prosthetic...

A voice came from behind. "Oh! Rivette!"

She has nice eyes too, pretty, even...

"Rivette!" The voice came close, but it fell on deaf ears.

Strong too. Nice, muscular form...

"Hey, horse lady!" The voice was right next to her, but to no avail.

And a tight, firm...

"GIRL, ARE YOU BLUSHING?"

"BAAAAAAAAA-AAAAAAAAH!", Rivette leaped into the air, a spring toy powered by pure embarrassment.

"What, no, I wasn't...! Oh, Marcus." The voice finally had a name and a story. It was Marcus, a "cleaning technician" (basically a janitor) she met the other day. A very jovial fellow. Friendly and easy to be around.

"There y'are. I'm just joshing with ya, darlin'. I just wanted t'ask ya if ya got time t'fix my music player, like ya said? I finally found the damn thing."

"What? Oh yes, of course. Stop by my room before curfew today, and I'll see what I can do. If it's what I think it is, it should be an easy 15 credit fix", she said softly, still a little jarred by her sudden awakening.

"Sounds good! I'll head to my place right after supper to get it! Now, come on! Chowtime!"

A slight smile appeared on her otherwise neutral face. She trotted along with Marcus towards the mess hall, subtly heaving a heavy sigh.
Last edited by Quidomne on Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Call me Quid.
☁☀☁
The Angels of Derp
My personal blog and shit
Member of the One True Faith and Church. Join The Church of Derpy today!

Orangi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Orangi » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:43 am

"Marran Varri. We don't know much about you." A man said, stepping out from a door that blended into the wall. "We rescued you, resuscitated you, and gave you a spare change of clothes. You also seem to have acquired your Identification card. However judging by the scans of your uniform and what else we could derive from your shuttle and the equipment aboard, you're military. But you're also stranded. So that leaves us... Frankly, at a loss." The officer said. His uniform matched the police's, but his insignia was gold.

"Who are you, and what do you want with me, sir?" Marran asked, attempting to defer to the currently superior officer. The man's face lightened up a bit after being called sir by someone that wasn't directly under his command.

"Commander Alan Matthias, Odysseus forward Garrison command. You're essentially a derelict, and we want to know what we need to or can do with you. We listened to the records on your shuttle- the computer hadn't locked its information. We have absolutely no idea what The Orranian Military is, where you're from, and aside from your race name and features, we have no idea what you are. As such, you will be monitored for an indefinite amount of time by local Police, to ensure you are not a threat." The Commander said coldly.

Marran could barely believe what he was hearing. How did a man who barely made it out of a cataclysmic situation present any danger to a ship this size?

"...Indefinite? Am I going to be put into a cell or what?" Marran asked, his patience thinning.

"No, you're just going to be monitored in the residential area. Don't be weirded out by-" The Commander could not finish the sentence before he put his hand to his helmet's side. "...Yes. Yes sir. Are you sure, sir? He's-... Affirmative. Marran Varri. Head to the cafeteria, Officer Fredrick will escort you there. After eating, proceed to District A6, Hangar 2, Building 258, room 7."

"...Sir..?"

"Just go, cat."

Marran's eyebrow raised. What in the depths was a Cat? Confused, Marran cautiously left and turned to the armored officer beside him.

"I heard it all. Matthias is an asshole, don't worry. Just come along with me. What kinda' food you like, steak, chicken?" Fredrick asked, walking his companion through the halls.

"What kind of animal is a steak?" Marran asked, completely unaware of the foible he just made. He could hear the officer laughing under his muted helmet.

"Sorry, sorry. Had a coughing fit. I'm sure they've got somethin' you'll like. Also, a cat is like... You, but not much taller than a rifle."

"Not much taller than a rifle, but like me? What in the seas is that supposed to mean."

"See, they're cute little things that make loud but endearing noises at you, walk on four legs and so on. But you look like a tiger."

"The depths is a tiger?"

"Well, y'see..."

...Marran held his processed but fairly tasty looking meal in hand. The Cafeteria section he was in was fairly large, but he didn't feel like sitting alone after all this.

Slorch
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Slorch » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:28 am

Bentu rubbed his eyes for seemingly the 5th time in as many minuets perhaps it was time for a break. He looked down at his watch. 'Hum, I should probably go to the cafeteria now,' He thought. Standing up and opening the door she saw that he had a message on his tablet.
He is being escorted to the cafeteria now.
It was short, concise and very military. 'Well then, I better pick up my pace and meet him there.' thought Bentu.

Orangi wrote:...Marran held his processed but fairly tasty looking meal in hand. The Cafeteria section he was in was fairly large, but he didn't feel like sitting alone after all this.

Bentu saw Marran standing around near the front of the cafeteria. He had specifically chosen a table near the front left corner that gave him a good view of the coming and goings of the patrons. He stood up and waved Marran over.

Fluttershy is Best pony

Orangi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Orangi » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:40 pm

Marran looked over and saw the odd-hatted alien once more. Ambassador Bentu. Raising an eyebrow, intrigued, he went over and sat across from him at the cafeteria.

"Hello again Ambassador. I'm betting this isn't a chance meeting..?" Marran said as he took a bite of the, "Steak" in front of him. The meat, though previously dried, was tough, hot, and fairly juicy. It was good. Very good.

"By The Mother's grace, this is delicious. Have you ever had steak? I can't wait to try this Chicken Officer Fredrick mentioned. Eatings bird- that's just unknown to me."

The Floor Kippers
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 12, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Floor Kippers » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:36 pm

Jonathan Smedley sat alone, staring out of a porthole into the inky blackness of space, picking limply at his rations left over from breakfast.

"I could do better than this rubbish," He said miserably to himself, "That's about the only thing I've got left now."

He closed his eyes and rested his head against the window.

He could feel the flames on his face, the blasts of explosions rushing through his hair. The screams of his colleagues as the restaurant they worked in went up and by some small quirk of fate, he had been at the end of the back yard, dealing with the rubbish. The mad rush as people fled to the evacuation ships, and then, seeing in the distance that world that had become his home almost.... boiling away into....nothing.

He let out a ragged sigh, holding in his emotions, and glanced at his watch.

Not long left before he was to be sent to the mess, back to the bottom rung, again.
There was no point checking the public records just yet, no point in queueing to receive the answer he knew that would give him on the people he cared about.

He didn't feel like going back to his tin can of a room, and he was in no mood for the recreational container either, so he elected to sit, and stare out at the stars.
Co-Founder of The Realm of Unrestricted Science.
“The shortest unit of time in the multiverse is the New York Second, defined as the period of time between the traffic lights turning green and the cab behind you honking.”
"Never discuss religion, politics, or toast"
Great Nepal wrote:
The Floor Kippers wrote:Britain has a stronger claim than Argentina does.

That doesn't say much...
Martian alien slugs who have never heard of earth have stronger claim than Argentina.

Slorch
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Slorch » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:05 am

Orangi wrote:Marran looked over and saw the odd-hatted alien once more. Ambassador Bentu. Raising an eyebrow, intrigued, he went over and sat across from him at the cafeteria.

"Hello again Ambassador. I'm betting this isn't a chance meeting..?" Marran said as he took a bite of the, "Steak" in front of him. The meat, though previously dried, was tough, hot, and fairly juicy. It was good. Very good.

"By The Mother's grace, this is delicious. Have you ever had steak? I can't wait to try this Chicken Officer Fredrick mentioned. Eatings bird- that's just unknown to me."

Bentu raised an eyebrow. He made a mental note to edit in that Tarassi did not eat bird. A minor thing perhaps but it was things like this that had proven critical in the past. "No, I have not had steak. For the most part the Tau are what the humans call vegetarian," replied Bentu. He very deliberately skirted around the chance meeting question.

Fluttershy is Best pony

Orangi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Orangi » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:44 pm

Slorch wrote:
Orangi wrote:Marran looked over and saw the odd-hatted alien once more. Ambassador Bentu. Raising an eyebrow, intrigued, he went over and sat across from him at the cafeteria.

Bentu raised an eyebrow. He made a mental note to edit in that Tarassi did not eat bird. A minor thing perhaps but it was things like this that had proven critical in the past. "No, I have not had steak. For the most part the Tau are what the humans call vegetarian," replied Bentu. He very deliberately skirted around the chance meeting question.

"Sweet mother this bird food is good..." Marran said, chowing down on the chicken now. He was going through his food fairly quickly. "Vegetarian, huh? Back where I come from, vegetarians are pretty rare. Men from the sea and plains, lot of us did hunting, mainly carnivorous diet." He said, smacking fairly loudly on his food, he hadn't eaten in hours. He wasn't usually so uncouth. "Omnivorous though, both of us. Sometime, you ought to... See..." Marran said, reality hitting him in the heart once more.

"...Right. Yeah. If there's ever a way to go back. But I don't want to dwell on that..." Marran said as he took a swig of his water. He wished he'd had his flask at this time. That was proabably still in lockup.

And it was also probably the last of Orranian Ale, C. 3170 he'd ever have, should he get it back.

"...Yeah, so, we've got these lizards back home called Chegawoo, an eight legged lizard thing, hopelessly stupid and they've got a stupid-fast gestation cycle. Hang from trees, eat bugs, get eaten. Big food chain called Cheg-A-Leg." Marran said as he chowed down on the last of his delightfully tasty Chicken. "Tastes kinda' like this."

He did all he could to not remind himself of home. Problem is, that's all he knew. How could he talk about anything else? Distracting himself was getting harder and harder.

He could really use that ale right now.

Slorch
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Slorch » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:07 pm

Orangi wrote:
Slorch wrote:

"Sweet mother this bird food is good..." Marran said, chowing down on the chicken now. He was going through his food fairly quickly. "Vegetarian, huh? Back where I come from, vegetarians are pretty rare. Men from the sea and plains, lot of us did hunting, mainly carnivorous diet." He said, smacking fairly loudly on his food, he hadn't eaten in hours. He wasn't usually so uncouth. "Omnivorous though, both of us. Sometime, you ought to... See..." Marran said, reality hitting him in the heart once more.

"...Right. Yeah. If there's ever a way to go back. But I don't want to dwell on that..." Marran said as he took a swig of his water. He wished he'd had his flask at this time. That was proabably still in lockup.

And it was also probably the last of Orranian Ale, C. 3170 he'd ever have, should he get it back.

"...Yeah, so, we've got these lizards back home called Chegawoo, an eight legged lizard thing, hopelessly stupid and they've got a stupid-fast gestation cycle. Hang from trees, eat bugs, get eaten. Big food chain called Cheg-A-Leg." Marran said as he chowed down on the last of his delightfully tasty Chicken. "Tastes kinda' like this."

He did all he could to not remind himself of home. Problem is, that's all he knew. How could he talk about anything else? Distracting himself was getting harder and harder.

Bentu saw Marran eyeing his cup repetitively, he might have somthing for that but not till later. He could also see that he was distraught."You're homesick aren't you?" asked Bentu. "Actually, nevermind don't answer that. Were all homesick, but trust me it will get easier with time,and who knows maybe one day I'll get to see this lizard of yours" said Bentu. "So, I'm guessing that neither chicken nor cow exists on your planet?" he asked

Fluttershy is Best pony

Orangi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Orangi » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:28 pm

Slorch wrote:
Orangi wrote:

Bentu saw Marran eyeing his cup repetitively, he might have something for that but not till later. He could also see that he was distraught."You're homesick aren't you?" asked Bentu. "Actually, nevermind don't answer that. Were all homesick, but trust me it will get easier with time,and who knows maybe one day I'll get to see this lizard of yours" said Bentu. "So, I'm guessing that neither chicken nor cow exists on your planet?" he asked

Fiddling with his glass, he replied. "Yeah. Whatever those are- haven't seen a picture yet. Planets, really. The United Republic of Sovereign Worlds had a few dozen motherworlds and colonies in its domain. Never heard mention of anything like a cow or chicken. I mean, what's the point of flightless birds? That's like a finless shark. It's kind of stupid." Marran said, leaning back a bit and taking another sip of his drink.

"...So why have you taken an interest in me? I don't mind someone offering a hand when I need it, I'm just kinda'... Curious." Marran said, looking to Officer Fredrick on the far side of the room.

"...Judging by that guy's gear I'm just going to go ahead and say folks aren't allowed to carry weapons. That's gonna' be weird for me. Back home you could tote a loaded rifle all day. Used to carry a pistol around. Definitely didn't have folks screwing with each other. Wonder how that is here."

Ethirus
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ethirus » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:26 pm

Francis suddenly felt an urge to go and mingle with the peasantry in the cafeteria. He frowned slightly. He never felt an urge to do anything.
"Is someone in my software" he uttered curiously idly running through his data base to find any tampering. He blinked as he found nothing. "What a very human compulsion" he chuckled quietly.
well I may as we'll see what humans eat he thought to himself as he left his private quarters, ID card hanging on his neck , trying to legitimise a reason for him wondering the ships halls for no obvious goal. He idly grabbed his blue overcoat as he strode out the door under the gentle glow of artificial light. Well it seems it would be appropriate, after all, I am going on a little adventure, isn't this what people do? he idled as he began to whistle a strangely familiar tune

Slorch
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Slorch » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:09 am

Orangi wrote:
Slorch wrote:Bentu saw Marran eyeing his cup repetitively, he might have something for that but not till later. He could also see that he was distraught."You're homesick aren't you?" asked Bentu. "Actually, nevermind don't answer that. Were all homesick, but trust me it will get easier with time,and who knows maybe one day I'll get to see this lizard of yours" said Bentu. "So, I'm guessing that neither chicken nor cow exists on your planet?" he asked

Fiddling with his glass, he replied. "Yeah. Whatever those are- haven't seen a picture yet. Planets, really. The United Republic of Sovereign Worlds had a few dozen motherworlds and colonies in its domain. Never heard mention of anything like a cow or chicken. I mean, what's the point of flightless birds? That's like a finless shark. It's kind of stupid." Marran said, leaning back a bit and taking another sip of his drink.

"...So why have you taken an interest in me? I don't mind someone offering a hand when I need it, I'm just kinda'... Curious." Marran said, looking to Officer Fredrick on the far side of the room.

"...Judging by that guy's gear I'm just going to go ahead and say folks aren't allowed to carry weapons. That's gonna' be weird for me. Back home you could tote a loaded rifle all day. Used to carry a pistol around. Definitely didn't have folks screwing with each other. Wonder how that is here."

"Me?" Bentu asked as he slowly ate his breakfast. "I have no Idea what your talking about. I just like to know what goes on on this ship. It's also kind of my job," he replied. "Well you see, you can carry a weapon the key is to not get caught with said weapon," said Bentu with a mischievous grin and tone. He then passed over a tablet, "Here this will give you access to the ships database as well as some other useful information."

Fluttershy is Best pony

Orangi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Orangi » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:18 pm

"If you like to know what goes on in this ship, I'm sure you can check it out from your office." Marran said, grabbing the tablet.

"Hold on, did you just give a new arrival a device that would allow me to, at any time, access a database and other stuff?" Marran stated as he looked around the cafeteria. "Why doesn't anyone else have something like this..?"

Slorch
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Slorch » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:14 pm

Orangi wrote:"If you like to know what goes on in this ship, I'm sure you can check it out from your office." Marran said, grabbing the tablet.

"Hold on, did you just give a new arrival a device that would allow me to, at any time, access a database and other stuff?" Marran stated as he looked around the cafeteria. "Why doesn't anyone else have something like this..?"

"I have learned over the years that being seen among the populace is good for image. Also, I enjoy the break from endless paper work." replied Bentu. They ate there food in silence for a few more minuets.

"As for your other question yes, but you are limited to what your access level grants you. So, for example you can't find any classified data, but most "common knowledge things can be accesses through that, or more job specific things like blueprints and such. Now the reason that not everyone has one is due to demand out weighing supply. The current waiting list is a mile long. I simply made a command level decision that you needed it more then say some random civvy that want to use it to for recreational use." said Bentu while he sipped the Tau equivalent of coffee.
Last edited by Slorch on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fluttershy is Best pony

Orangi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Orangi » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:26 pm

Slorch wrote:
Orangi wrote:"If you like to know what goes on in this ship, I'm sure you can check it out from your office." Marran said, grabbing the tablet.

"I have learned over the years that being seen among the populace is good for image. Also, I enjoy the break from endless paper work." replied Bentu. They ate there food in silence for a few more minuets.

"As for your other question yes, but you are limited to what your access level grants you. So, for example you can't find any classified data, but most "common knowledge things can be accesses through that, or more job specific things like blueprints and such. Now the reason that not everyone has one is due to demand out weighing supply. The current waiting list is a mile long. I simply made a command level decision that you needed it more then say some random civvy that want to use it to for recreational use." said Bentu while he sipped the Tau equivalent of coffee.

"Maybe it is, but I don't know, Ambassador. Never been one to have eyes on me." He said, continuing to eat. Much to Bentu's chagrin, Marran browsed what programs it had on it. He took a liking to the fingerpainting program while he ate. None of what he drew made any sense, it was just a series of doodles.

"I appreciate it, and I'm sure I'll find a fair amount of use for it. More than this painting application, I'm sure. There's no tracking or recording device in this thi-... Nevermind. You wouldn't tell me if there was, and you know what they sa-" Marran said, interrupting himself.

"...Right, nevermind. You would have no idea about what they say, because I don't know how to say it outside of my own tongue. Something about gifts and not questioning them. Is there a good saying for this in this language?"

Slorch
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Slorch » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:32 pm

Orangi wrote:
Slorch wrote:

"Maybe it is, but I don't know, Ambassador. Never been one to have eyes on me." He said, continuing to eat. Much to Bentu's chagrin, Marran browsed what programs it had on it. He took a liking to the fingerpainting program while he ate. None of what he drew made any sense, it was just a series of doodles.

"I appreciate it, and I'm sure I'll find a fair amount of use for it. More than this painting application, I'm sure. There's no tracking or recording device in this thi-... Nevermind. You wouldn't tell me if there was, and you know what they sa-" Marran said, interrupting himself.

"...Right, nevermind. You would have no idea about what they say, because I don't know how to say it outside of my own tongue. Something about gifts and not questioning them. Is there a good saying for this in this language?"

"I believe the phrase is "don't look a gift horse in the mouth". I have no real idea why though." replied Bentu. Marran's assumption that he wouldn't say if there was tracking software was correct. It did indeed have some, but that was just standard procedure and completely out of his hands. He continued to sip his coffee.

Fluttershy is Best pony

Orangi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Orangi » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:37 pm

Slorch wrote:
Orangi wrote:

"I believe the phrase is "don't look a gift horse in the mouth". I have no real idea why though." replied Bentu. Marran's assumption that he wouldn't say if there was tracking software was correct. It did indeed have some, but that was just standard procedure and completely out of his hands. He continued to sip his coffee.

"What in the depths is a horse? Some kind of animal?" Marran replied, pondering what all these animals were. "...Do you eat them?"

Slorch
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Slorch » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:40 pm

Orangi wrote:
Slorch wrote:

"What in the depths is a horse? Some kind of animal?" Marran replied, pondering what all these animals were. "...Do you eat them?"

"Well you know the little multi-colored 4 legged beings on this ship? Ya kind of like that but bigger and not multi colored. And no I don't think you eat them," replied Bentu, "Actually you could probably look that up on your tablet." All the while he was sipping his coffee.

Fluttershy is Best pony

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse