NATION

PASSWORD

The Crimson Age: The White Horse (OOC/Alt-History)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Arcov
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Arcov » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:45 pm

Ublia wrote:
Arcov wrote:Would a Republican Byzantium be too unrealistic?

How'd it happen.....

As a new renaissance greeted Byzantium, scrolls detailing the glorious Roman Republic started a new phase of romanticism, where the Roman Senate was glorified. Brutual repressions, and decline of the ruling dynasty, led to the New Roman Republic.
Mandatory Signature

Landenburg
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Landenburg » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:51 pm

Rephesus wrote:
Ublia wrote:There's a Spanish player incoming so why don't we wait and see what they have to say. Otherwise I'd suggest colonial overlord, we could use a revolution to spice things up....

I don't intend on being particularly militaristic (As I have most of the areas I want to control) but rather focus on anion building, cultural revolution, forming a national identity, etc. I intend independence to come like Brazil RL, where the monarchy splits and the Emperor of Portugal and Emperor of Brazil are siblings and split the union.

I'm completely okay with him having broken off from me in whichever way he prefers.
Alas yonder woman, damn you tempt me with thy saucy bosom
thus methinks I shall bestow my codpiece in thee & make naughty love to my lady all night
Please haste hither & quench this torment fairest maiden
get some

Landenburg
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Landenburg » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:19 pm

NS Name: Landenburg
Nation Name: The Kingdom of Iberia
Capital City: Madrid
Government Type: Monarchy
Head of State: Leopold Trastámara; 24, Weak and sickly, charismatic and clever
Claimed Territory: Portugal, Spain, Mexico, Philippines and Texas
State/National Religion: Catholicism
Dominant Religion: Catholicism
Minority Religion(s): Protestant, minor Indian religions
Population: 35,000,000
Military Size: 200,000
Fleet Size: 200
National Flag: http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2012 ... oriosa.png
Coat of Arms:
National Focus: Tradewinds
National Idea(s): East India Trading Company
Trade Policy: Free Trade
Primary Import(s): Spices, Luxuries
Primary Export(s): Metals, Food, Wool
Primary Culture: Spanish
Accepted Cultures: Portuguese, Native American
Brief Description of your nation's History:
Brief Description of your nation's economy:
Brief Description of your nation's government:
Brief Description of your nation's populace:
Dramatis Personae:
Leopoldo Trastámara
His mother died during childbirth and his father died only when he was 11. Leopoldo has always been a sickly child but yet he's been a firm ruler and the people love him. He simply has a way with words, if not the steel.

Carlos Trastámara
Uncle of Leopoldo, an older general of the Iberian army. He is well known as the Stalwart Wall because his defense is unbeatable. He is charged with the Kingdom's defense.

RP Example:

WIP
Alas yonder woman, damn you tempt me with thy saucy bosom
thus methinks I shall bestow my codpiece in thee & make naughty love to my lady all night
Please haste hither & quench this torment fairest maiden
get some

Ublia
Senator

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ublia » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:51 am

Arcov wrote:
Ublia wrote:How'd it happen.....

As a new renaissance greeted Byzantium, scrolls detailing the glorious Roman Republic started a new phase of romanticism, where the Roman Senate was glorified. Brutual repressions, and decline of the ruling dynasty, led to the New Roman Republic.

Hmmm could work, throw in a psychotic Emperor, a plague of something and sure works.
A Canadian Green Tory and Nationalist, who loves History, Sci-Fi, Fantasy and is always down to RP

"'Whither is God?' He cried; "I will tell you. We have killed him- you and I.'"- F. Neitzsche, The Gay Science
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.51
Canada, Green and or Red Toryism, Environmentalism, Canadian Nationalism, Neo-Classical Realism
Neutral: Eggplants and Switzerland
Against: Communism, Separatism in Canada, Social Conservatism, Critical Theory (the last few years have been harsh), DESCARTES (don't blame me blame the Meditations)

Arcov
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arcov » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:58 pm

Ublia wrote:
Arcov wrote:As a new renaissance greeted Byzantium, scrolls detailing the glorious Roman Republic started a new phase of romanticism, where the Roman Senate was glorified. Brutual repressions, and decline of the ruling dynasty, led to the New Roman Republic.

Hmmm could work, throw in a psychotic Emperor, a plague of something and sure works.

Good, I'll get it going.
Mandatory Signature

Arcov
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arcov » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:10 pm

I've actually decided against the Republic, I believe a Constitutional Monarchy is more likely.
Mandatory Signature

Vergenskia
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vergenskia » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:02 pm

Can I reserve Royal Hungary? (Hungary, Erdely, Nytria and Croatia)
A szabadság csak a szerzett a vérontást!

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -7.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.72

Here we go, Brownies! Here we go!

Acroticus
Senator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Acroticus » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:06 pm

Ublia wrote:
Acroticus wrote:
This ^^

The Dutch. Also there's Canada, America and so forth.....

Might I reserve the Dutch, then?

Lenciland
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenciland » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:53 pm

Sorry, I'll get my app up soon. Power's been out for a while and I haven't had time since it came back on. I'm doing Scandinavia by the way, so northern Italia is open.
Quotes:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:
Lenciland wrote:No there is no Messiah only the Misoiah and that is the Greta One. Bombadil and I am his prophet.

Misoyah Heathens, there is only the one true Ass.
Lo, for his prophet Andy Kaufman came down from on high, to show the ways of the troll.

Karlsreich wrote:And on the fourth day, God created Saturn. And he liked it. So he put a ring on it.

C is for colonies. Rightly we boast. That of all the great nations. Great Britain has the most.
Lenciland & Saint Kitten, neighbors in Hell.
Cthulu be praised!!

Lenciland
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenciland » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:41 pm

NS Name:Lenciland
Nation Name: (When it comes to the Holy Roman Empire its ruler will be elected at the start of the RP after I post the death of its latest Emperor so open season for all you chaps wanting that throne.)The Empire of Scandinavia
Capital City:Stockholm
Government Type: (Monarchy, Republic, Theocracy, etc.)Constitutional Monarchy
Head of State: (Age, Physical and Personality Descriptions/Background)tba
Claimed Territory: (Please provide a map or detailed description)Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland, Southeastern Quebec, Bermuda, the Azores, and the Canaries.
State/National Religion:Protestant, Lutheran to be exact
Dominant Religion:Lutheran Prostestantism
Minority Religion(s):Catholicism, Animism, Norse, and Shamanisms
Population: (Please be realistic...)17,000,000
Military Size: (5% of your population) 500,000
Fleet Size: (Be reasonable)25 heavy ships, 65 light ships, and 20 transports
National Flag: (Put in a spoiler.)

Coat of Arms: (Put in a spoiler.)
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/02/Coat_of_arms_of_the_House_of_Petrović-Njegoš.svg/400px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_House_of_Petrović-Njegoš.svg.png[/img]

National Focus:Seafaring and the Pen
National Idea(s):The Rights of Man and the Carolean Model
Trade Policy: (Free trade or Mercantilism)Predominately free trade with some mercantile competition
Primary Import(s):Coal, Agricultural goods, and precious metals
Primary Export(s):Iron, Agricultural goods, and Timber/timber products
Primary Culture: (Primary culture/linguistic group)Swedish
Accepted Cultures: (Up to 2 cultures, must be present in your territory)Danish, Norwegian
Brief Description of your nation's History:Much of Scandinavian history is the same in this world as in ours. There are but few early differences that would forever change the face of the Scandinavia. For one, the expeditions to Vinland(Newfoundland) were successful leading to the colonization of Newfoundland and eventual probings into Quebec. While Norsemen colonized the New World as a close guarded secret, back home intrigue and deception began to scare the houses of power. The great Kalmar Union was upset when Sweden usurped control of the royal marriages from Denmark and became the leader. This signaled a shift in the balance of power that would have a lasting effect on the Scandinavian peninsula. When the Union finally formed into a single nation the capital was Stockholm instead of Copenhagen causing riots amongst the gentry of Denmark. Widespread rebellion in Denmark was battled for ten long years until the head of the resistance, Jarl Samar the Proud of Jaelland, was captured, interrogated, drawn, quartered, and beheaded with his head being sent to his family estate.

Finland, the errant offshoot of Sweden, was experiencing great trouble from the rabble of the East. After two years of fighting the Finns sent an overture of merger with Scandinavia if they helped in the war. Seizing the chance to take Finland, House Skytte the leaders of Scandinavia, took up arms and pushed the foreign invaders from Finland. With Scandinavia whole again, efforts were externalized to focus on Newfoundland, still a well-guarded secret, Iceland, Greenland, and smaller islands such as Bermuda. As they were colonized, a new wave of change swept throughout Scandinavia. That force was Protestantism, with large scale conversions of people all over the land, a new rivalry was emerging. The Protestant lower, middle, and some noble people vs. the predominantly Catholic gentry. As pressures mounted against the Catholics, more and more noble houses converted even House Skytte after a time. This newfound dislike of Catholics led to the acceptance of an ancient group, the Norse pagans, who for centuries had been oppressed by the Catholics. Now with the Catholics as the new persecuted, the Norse became popular for their vapid support of the new Protestant government.

As tensions lessened, a new kind of stability overtook the Empire leading to the flourishing of arts, technology, and industry in the towns and cities of Scandinavia.
Brief Description of your nation's economy:The fact that the lower classes were never forced into serfdom plays an important role in the Scandinavian economy and politics. Higher social mobility meant that there was no law or rule against you creating your own estate or business meaning that a kind of free trade capitalism developed here in Scandinavia at a much faster pace. The economy, while largely agrarian, is being driven by great factories and trading houses in Stockholm, Copenhagen, Bergenshus, Reykjavik, Helsinki, and Gotland. The factories churn out weapons, wooden items and planks, and many more things though with the high social mobility of the nation who knows what factories will produce next.
Brief Description of your nation's government:The monarchy, while immensely powerful, led by House Skytte, is tempered by the Parliament which is made up of two houses: The House of Jarls and the House of Commons. Elections are free, fair, and open with participation in elections is made mandatory in the more populated areas, leaving the rural people of the north marginalized. While the Parliament can extend decisions and make demands, the King has the ultimate say in what happens and what doesn't. The Parliament is there to handle the Bureaucracy while the King is left to make the most important decisions in the Empire. Laws are, following the Viking tradition, very progressive with land ownership, anti-abuse, and many other progressive laws quite old and time honored.
Brief Description of your nation's populace:The people, while fiercely war-like, are also accepting of different religions and cultures. The high-social mobility of society without a caste system makes social order a fluid thing with formerly poor people being rich and noble while nobles who gamble away their estates are left with their title and their wits. The people are unusually apathetic towards their religions and peculiarly interested in the politics of their nation. In the country they live agrarian lives like their ancestors have for thousands of years, but in the cities life is quickly evolving into a fast-paced work-oriented lifestyle with rich and poor living within a kilometer of each other.
Dramatis Personae: (List various characters from whom's perspectives you'll be playing, include name, age, personality and physical descriptions, backgrounds)
RP Example:tba
Last edited by Lenciland on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quotes:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:
Lenciland wrote:No there is no Messiah only the Misoiah and that is the Greta One. Bombadil and I am his prophet.

Misoyah Heathens, there is only the one true Ass.
Lo, for his prophet Andy Kaufman came down from on high, to show the ways of the troll.

Karlsreich wrote:And on the fourth day, God created Saturn. And he liked it. So he put a ring on it.

C is for colonies. Rightly we boast. That of all the great nations. Great Britain has the most.
Lenciland & Saint Kitten, neighbors in Hell.
Cthulu be praised!!

Rephesus
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rephesus » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:01 am

Lenciland wrote: the Azores, and the Canaries.

Azores are Portuguese, Canaries are Spanish.

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:59 am

It's a WIP, but I don't want the massive land-grabbing powers to take any of my land before I can get my extensive apps in.

NS Name: Fluffy Kitty o' Hate.
Nation Name: The Patriarchal Prince-Archbishopric of Aquileia, a member of the Holy Roman Empire.
Capital City: Gorz.
Government Type: A Catholic Archbishopric, a theocracy.
Head of State: The head of state of the Patriarchal Price-Archbishopric of Aquilea is Conrad IV, an unknowing descendant of Henry II "The Saint". He's 67, an old and weathered man, who is ardently opposed to any sort of progress. He took great lengths to cleanse his realm of any "heretics" of the Church, going so far as to expel a large number of Protestants from the northernmost region of his nation. He was commended by the Pope, and is in line to become a saint after his death for his actions. Despite his religiously persecutive nature, he is quite a liberal social ruler, allowing his populace relatively free trading and civil rights so long as they openly profess Catholicism. He is a patron of the arts and a lover of music.
Claimed Territory: The royal blue here.
State/National Religion: Catholicism, of course.
Dominant Religion: Catholicism.
Minority Religion(s): Nearly none, but there are trace elements of Judaism, Orthodoxy, and Bogomilist Bosnians around the province of Istria.
Population: You ask everybody to be realistic, and yet everybody has millions of people. 560,000.
Military Size: 17,000.
Fleet Size: Four merchant ships, and six Galleasses.
National Flag: Here.
Coat of Arms: Here.
National Focus: Hammer and Sickle.
National Idea(s): Enlightened Despotism, Carolean Model.
Trade Policy: Free Trade.
Primary Import(s): Lumber, Non-Gold Precious Metals.
Primary Export(s): Gold, Grain, Iron, Church Corruption.
Primary Culture: Lombardic/North Italian.
Accepted Cultures: Austro-German and Istrian Croatian.
Brief Description of your nation's History: The history of the Archbishopric can actually be traced back two places, the Bishopric of Trent, and the Patriarchate of Aquileia. I'll start with the latter first. While it is true that the Patriarchate later got a landed title under the Duchy of Fruili, it should be noted that the Patriarchate actually existed since soon after the time of Jesus, said to be founded in 70 A.D by Saint Helarus. There, it was one of the early bastions of Christianity, and survived the numerous waves of persecutions that came from the Early Roman Emperors. By the time of the Holy Roman Empire, however, the Bishopric was declared "inferior only to Rome, Ravenna, and Milan in grandeur" in a Papal Synod in 1047. Henry IV of Germany gave Sieghard of Belstein temporal power within the Duchy of Friuli, giving him all but de jure power over the region, and raising him to Prince-Bishop status. There, the Price Bishopric stayed, with its expansionist zenith reaching its peak at 1126. From there, however, it was only decline. The year after it had reached its peak, the County of Gorz broke away from the Archbishopric, taking half of its land, and large, profitable gold mines away from the Archbishopric. As the Venetians began encroaching on the Istrian Coast, the Archbishopric began to increasingly seem them as rivals. In 1291 they officially lost the entirety of the Istrian Coast to Venice, which took away most of their maritime trade. From then on, they were considered an insignificant power until 1420, when Venice officially stripped the Archbishop of his temporal power and stepped in to fill the void of leadership.

Now, the Bishopric of Trent is a little different. The first Bishops of Trent seem to appear in historical records at a synod in Aquilea (ironically enough) in 301 A.D. There, it was a part of the Lombard Kingdom, and then the Kingdom of Italy (Carolingian), but was later conquered in 951 by the Germans. In the Holy Roman Empire, the Bishops of Trent participated in most of the diets, and other governmental policies, even briefly becoming an Elector. But by the reign of George I von Liechtenstein, the Habsburgs were closing in on his temporal authority. He managed to escape the subjugation, but he died in 1419. Six years later, Austrian troops crossed the border in order to suppress a republic-style commune that had sprung up in the city of Tyrol, the former center of the Bishopric. While the successors of George I attempted to avoid subjugation, it was complete in all but name. However, when the young Alexander von Masowien ascended the throne, he had major changes in line for the Bishopric. He petitioned the Pope, whom he was in good standing with, regarding the lack of piety held by the Habsburg rulers, and that, if they must stay rulers, then they should not have any authority over a Bishop. In 1543, the same year that Alexander had written his letter, the Pope granted the Bishopric, as well as a number of smaller Bishoprics, independence from the Austrian Regime, as well as a grant of the Old Patriarchate of Aquileia to ensure its independence. Alexander then turned his aging eyes towards the old territory of Aquileia, Friuli and Istria, now under control of the Venetians, who had recently been weakened by a number of wars with greater powers. Alexander moved upon the Venetians, seizing Treviso, and most of Friuli that had formerly been a part of the old Patriarchate. With not only most of the old Patriarchate restored, including Istria, the Bishopric also boasted Trent and the surrounding area. However, Alexander's ambitions were only getting greater, and nine months from his peace with Venice, he looked towards the County of Gorz, which had broken away from Aquileia in the fourteenth century, only to have the land pass to the Habsburgs after the Gorzian line died out.

Gorz would be no easy target, but the aging Alexander still boasted close ties with the Papacy, who sanctioned an invasion of Gorz as an attempt to reestablish the Patriarchy of Aquileia as it had been awhile back. Despite being outnumbered, Alexander's forces were boasted by considerable Papal Troops and Mercenaries that Papal money had hired. He beat the Austrians decisively at Trieste, killing the Grand Duke and routing the Austrian forces, a large blow to the then-Holy Roman Empire. The Treaty of Udine (1546) then sorted out the borders of the newly restored Patriarchate, whose title was officially adopted by Alexander immediately following the Treaty. The new Patriarchate stretched from the cities of Trieste and Istria to the south, Treviso and Pordenone to the West, as well as the formerly Austrian state of Carinthia. Seven months later, Alexander I of the Patriarchate would be dead, of natural causes, having refounded an extinct ancient state, and setting up what would debateably be the most successful theocratic government in Europe to exist.

Alexander was then succeeded by Papal-Appointed Conrad III, who was a Papal lapdog, and would reign for two years. His successor, was the notably successful Matteo I. Matteo was appointed to the position after a successful attempt by his father (Of whom he was a bastard) to bribe his bastard son's way to the Prince-Bishopric. Matteo sets the record for being the youngest ruler to ascend to the state, being only nineteen when he did so. However, his brilliance perhaps outshone that of Alexander I. Matteo would begin the long standing military rivalry with both the declining Venice and the troubled Austria. He was a competent military commander, but an extremely skilled diplomat and a master theologian. It is purported that after a number of Protestants had taken arms and attempted to burn down his capital, Gorz, he opened the gates and spoke with them for three hours, getting all of them to convert back to Catholicism (1570). After securing his own realm, he then began focusing on two things at once. The first was to release his state from the immense amount of influence the Papacy held over it, and the first thing to do so was to refuse the Pope's demand that the Prince-Bishopric would join the official Counter-Reformation movement. While the Prince-Bishopric was ardently Catholic and the government would remain so, Matteo had no particular desire to stay within the fold of the Papacy for any longer; he desired true independence. Then, with the Pope at bay, he began building up the Prince-Bishopric's navy, which was scant, ever since the refounding of the state, using large profits gained from the gold mines of Gorz. With a significantly larger navy, Matteo then began blockading Venice, and after the Battle of the North Adriatic, which was most likely near the port of Istria, the Venetian fleet sustained heavy, but not deathly categories, and had earned themselves a pyrrhic victory over Matteo's state. However, Matteo wasn't close to being finished with the Venetians. With the majority of the Venetian Fleet still in the Adriatic, he was able to ferry a large portion of his army onto Venice Proper, where they besieged, and eventually captured the city. Matteo gave explicit orders that it was not to be looted, fearing the cultural and religious consequences of doing so. The Doge and the heads of most of the prominent Venetian families were captured in the siege, and they were forced to capitulate to Matteo's demands. At the Peace of Udine (1552), the Venetians ceded whatever Italian and Illyrian coast that they still had, including the city of Zadar, and most of the Treviso coastline.

Three years later, Matteo then looked towards the North, to the rest of the Empire. Martin Luther had begun his "vile" preachings against the Catholic Church, and the Duke of Saxony had began to favour what Luther was claiming to be a "reformed faith". Austria was beginning to slowly decline, and Matteo was preparing to jump on that. Disbanding or selling off most of the Aquileian navy, he then began forming the beginnings of a large, professional army corps by creating the Quelle Nere, which was the first standing army that the Patriarchate had ever seen. It initially consisted of just over nine thousand bodies, seven thousand being footsoldiers, and the other two thousand being Cavalry, who would later be known as the Chi Guida. However, before he could, he was confronted with another issue. At this point in time, the Turks had reached the height of their Medieval Power, and had controlled territory on the borders of the Patriarchate. Rather than targeting a brother of the faith during such trying times, Matteo then allowed the Quelle Nere to cross into Hungarian-Croatian territory, where they began besieging Ottoman-controlled towns. However, at the Battle of Varazdin, the Quelle Nere was defeated by a significantly larger Ottoman force, and retreated back into their own territory, only narrowly avoiding complete obliteration by a relief force sent by the Polish and the Austrians. Matteo then died at the Battle of Buje, which was part of a larger operation to drive the Ottomans out. By 1573, there was a succession crisis in the Prince-Archbishopric. Matteo was dead, and he had tried to constantly cut Aquileian ties to the Papacy, and had been variably successful in doing so. So, the nation began rapidly splitting into two factions, one that supported Papal Investiture within Aquileia, and another that favoured an internal election for the next Prince-Bishop.

As tension increased between the two groups, the nation remained leaderless, and thus vulnerable to exterior influences, including their old rival, Venice, who had begun seizing coastal towns that had formerly been a part of the Patriarchate. In a bid to restabilize the country, the Chi Guida, the rich, semi-aristocratic horsemen who formed the core of the Quelle Nere, staged a meeting between the two sides, at a town known as Krk, part of the Patriarchate's Illyrian possessions. There, they gathered all the supporters of the Papal Investiture and the supporters of internal elections, and then slaughtered those who were in support of Papal Investiture, killing some dozen-odd nobles and nearly double that in number of Bishops. While there is historical contention over whether or not the opposite faction knew that the Chi Guida would do this, they were then the unopposed party. They then established what would become the basis of the Aquileian Constitution that would eventually be created some two centuries later.

For a period of about three quarters of a century, the Patriarchate goes quiet. The rulers were mediocre at best, and had their interests focused inwards, rather than outwards. During this time period, religious tolerance dropped to an all-time low, despite the ironic embracement of most renaissance art and architecture. During this time period, Gorz managed to flourish as a city of merchants and artists, and the great Aquileian Artist, Lombardo Plzjevic, a Croatian Catholic who produced a number of great works.

Brief Description of your nation's economy: The Prince-Bishopric's economy is mostly dependent on a large amount of gold mines that are present in the Gorz-Friuli region of the nation. However, there are also large exports of things such as Iron and Fish. The Prince-Bishopric is, for the most part, Laissez-Faire in the sense that they allow complete free trade within their realm, and only interfere with the export and flow of gold and other precious metals throughout the realm.
Dramatis Personae: Conrad IV.
RP Example:
Last edited by Transoxthraxia on Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search for our better selves?
In Egypt's sandy silence, all alone,
Stands a gigantic Leg, which far off throws
The only shadow that the Desert knows:—
"I am great OZYMANDIAS," saith the stone,
"The King of Kings; this mighty City shows
"The wonders of my hand." The City's gone,
Nought but the Leg remaining to disclose
The site of this forgotten Babylon.

We wonder, and some Hunter may express
Wonder like ours, when thro' the wilderness
Where London stood, holding the Wolf in chace,
He meets some fragment huge, and stops to guess
What powerful but unrecorded race
Once dwelt in that annihilated place.
The Nuclear Fist wrote:Transoxthraxia confirmed for shit taste

Ublia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ublia » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:19 pm

Hey y'all was working so sorry for the delay I'll start processing this stuff momentarily.
A Canadian Green Tory and Nationalist, who loves History, Sci-Fi, Fantasy and is always down to RP

"'Whither is God?' He cried; "I will tell you. We have killed him- you and I.'"- F. Neitzsche, The Gay Science
Canada, Green and or Red Toryism, Environmentalism, Canadian Nationalism, Neo-Classical Realism
Against: Communism, Separatism in Canada, Social Conservatism, Critical Theory (the last few years have been harsh), DESCARTES (don't blame me blame the Meditations)

Ublia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ublia » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:02 pm

Transoxthraxia wrote:It's a WIP, but I don't want the massive land-grabbing powers to take any of my land before I can get my extensive apps in.

Nation Name: The Patriarchal Prince-Archbishopric of Aquileia, a member of the Holy Roman Empire.
Head of State: The head of state of the Patriarchal Price-Archbishopric of Aquilea is Conrad IV, an unknowing descendant of Henry II "The Saint". He's 67, an old and weathered man, who is ardently opposed to any sort of progress. He took great lengths to cleanse his realm of any "heretics" of the Church, going so far as to expel a large number of Protestants from the northernmost region of his nation. He was commended by the Pope, and is in line to become a saint after his death for his actions. Despite his religiously persecutive nature, he is quite a liberal social ruler, allowing his populace relatively free trading and civil rights so long as they openly profess Catholicism. He is a patron of the arts and a lover of music.
Minority Religion(s): Nearly none, but there are trace elements of Judaism, Orthodoxy, and Bogomilist Bosnians around the province of Istria.
Population: You ask everybody to be realistic, and yet everybody has millions of people. 560,000.
Brief Description of your nation's History: The history of the Archbishopric can actually be traced back two places, the Bishopric of Trent, and the Patriarchate of Aquileia. I'll start with the latter first. While it is true that the Patriarchate later got a landed title under the Duchy of Fruili, it should be noted that the Patriarchate actually existed since soon after the time of Jesus, said to be founded in 70 A.D by Saint Helarus. There, it was one of the early bastions of Christianity, and survived the numerous waves of persecutions that came from the Early Roman Emperors. By the time of the Holy Roman Empire, however, the Bishopric was declared "inferior only to Rome, Ravenna, and Milan in grandeur" in a Papal Synod in 1047. Henry IV of Germany gave Sieghard of Belstein temporal power within the Duchy of Friuli, giving him all but de jure power over the region, and raising him to Prince-Bishop status. There, the Price Bishopric stayed, with its expansionist zenith reaching its peak at 1126. From there, however, it was only decline. The year after it had reached its peak, the County of Gorz broke away from the Archbishopric, taking half of its land, and large, profitable gold mines away from the Archbishopric. As the Venetians began encroaching on the Istrian Coast, the Archbishopric began to increasingly seem them as rivals. In 1291 they officially lost the entirety of the Istrian Coast to Venice, which took away most of their maritime trade. From then on, they were considered an insignificant power until 1420, when Venice officially stripped the Archbishop of his temporal power and stepped in to fill the void of leadership.

Now, the Bishopric of Trent is a little different. The first Bishops of Trent seem to appear in historical records at a synod in Aquilea (ironically enough) in 301 A.D. There, it was a part of the Lombard Kingdom, and then the Kingdom of Italy (Carolingian), but was later conquered in 951 by the Germans. In the Holy Roman Empire, the Bishops of Trent participated in most of the diets, and other governmental policies, even briefly becoming an Elector. But by the reign of George I von Liechtenstein, the Habsburgs were closing in on his temporal authority. He managed to escape the subjugation, but he died in 1419. Six years later, Austrian troops crossed the border in order to suppress a republic-style commune that had sprung up in the city of Tyrol, the former center of the Bishopric. While the successors of George I attempted to avoid subjugation, it was complete in all but name. However, when the young Alexander von Masowien ascended the throne, he had major changes in line for the Bishopric. He petitioned the Pope, whom he was in good standing with, regarding the lack of piety held by the Habsburg rulers, and that, if they must stay rulers, then they should not have any authority over a Bishop. In 1543, the same year that Alexander had written his letter, the Pope granted the Bishopric, as well as a number of smaller Bishoprics, independence from the Austrian Regime, as well as a grant of the Old Patriarchate of Aquileia to ensure its independence. Alexander then turned his aging eyes towards the old territory of Aquileia, Friuli and Istria, now under control of the Venetians, who had recently been weakened by a number of wars with greater powers.
Dramatis Personae: (List various characters from whom's perspectives you'll be playing, include name, age, personality and physical descriptions, backgrounds)
RP Example:

Looks all good but um the PoD was 1453....

Also the Dutch are reserved.

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:15 pm

Ublia wrote:
Transoxthraxia wrote:It's a WIP, but I don't want the massive land-grabbing powers to take any of my land before I can get my extensive apps in.

Now, the Bishopric of Trent is a little different. The first Bishops of Trent seem to appear in historical records at a synod in Aquilea (ironically enough) in 301 A.D. There, it was a part of the Lombard Kingdom, and then the Kingdom of Italy (Carolingian), but was later conquered in 951 by the Germans. In the Holy Roman Empire, the Bishops of Trent participated in most of the diets, and other governmental policies, even briefly becoming an Elector. But by the reign of George I von Liechtenstein, the Habsburgs were closing in on his temporal authority. He managed to escape the subjugation, but he died in 1419. Six years later, Austrian troops crossed the border in order to suppress a republic-style commune that had sprung up in the city of Tyrol, the former center of the Bishopric. While the successors of George I attempted to avoid subjugation, it was complete in all but name. However, when the young Alexander von Masowien ascended the throne, he had major changes in line for the Bishopric. He petitioned the Pope, whom he was in good standing with, regarding the lack of piety held by the Habsburg rulers, and that, if they must stay rulers, then they should not have any authority over a Bishop. In 1543, the same year that Alexander had written his letter, the Pope granted the Bishopric, as well as a number of smaller Bishoprics, independence from the Austrian Regime, as well as a grant of the Old Patriarchate of Aquileia to ensure its independence. Alexander then turned his aging eyes towards the old territory of Aquileia, Friuli and Istria, now under control of the Venetians, who had recently been weakened by a number of wars with greater powers.
RP Example:

Looks all good but um the PoD was 1453....

All of the history up until the 16th century is actual history. You can look it up if you'd like. I've just sort of summed it up in that.
Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search for our better selves?

Ublia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ublia » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:27 pm

Transoxthraxia wrote:
Ublia wrote: Looks all good but um the PoD was 1453....

All of the history up until the 16th century is actual history. You can look it up if you'd like. I've just sort of summed it up in that.

Huh I see. Very good welcome to the party!!!

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:32 pm

Ublia wrote:
Transoxthraxia wrote:

Huh I see. Very good welcome to the party!!!

But... But I'm not done the history. :P Thanks for the acceptance though. I'll finish up the app and then notify you.

Garwall
Minister

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Garwall » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:13 pm

Is Old Prussia/Brandenburg open? How about Poland? Or Russia?
1 Student
Nationality: Yankee
Religion: Atheist
Ideology: Socialist
Issues: State Capitalism/Full Citizenship
Cash Reserves: ~1$
Revoltrisk: 85%
Militancy: 9
Counsciousness: 12
"For Home and Countrymen!"

-Battle-cry used by Garwall Revolutionaries as they storm the Capitol Building, raising the Rebel Flag.
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=132814#p6655830
Above: The Treaty of Belgratz, the Document ratifying the Socialist Party's rise to power in Garwall.

[15:43] <Parhe> For some reason
[15:43] <Parhe> I feel safe whenever Gar is here
[15:43] <Parhe> Not sure why, Garwall always made me feel safe

Ublia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ublia » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:31 pm

Garwall wrote:Is Old Prussia/Brandenburg open? How about Poland? Or Russia?

All open!

Dwartzur
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dwartzur » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:38 pm

I'm having little time to do this, but I promise I'll work on it as soon as possible. So this is a WIP.

NS Name: The Kingdom of Dwartzur
Nation Name: The Hanseatic Republic
Capital City: Lübeck
Government Type: Federal presidential republic
Head of State: Wilhelm Kaufmann, a 52 years old man, broad-shouldered and fat, with blue eyes, grey short hair, sideburns and a thick mustache.
Claimed Territory: In red
State/National Religion: N/A (secular state)
Dominant Religion: Protestantism
Minority Religion(s): Catholicism, judaism
Population:
Military Size:
Fleet Size:
National Flag: Flag
Coat of Arms: Coat of Arms
National Focus: Seafaring, Tradewinds.
National Idea(s): The Rights of Man, East India Trading Company.
Trade Policy: Mercantilism.
Primary Import(s): Silk, tea, sugar.
Primary Export(s): Tobacco, cotton, mineral ores.
Primary Culture: German
Accepted Cultures: Slavic, dutch
Brief Description of your nation's history:
RP Example:
Last edited by Dwartzur on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greater Ravinia
Secretary

Founded: Jun 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Ravinia » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:14 am

lost internet for a while but im back just so you know I'm still here lol

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse