NATION

PASSWORD

Hogwarts: A New Era(OOC, Signups, OPEN)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should we skip to the end of the day?

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes : 50

Mnar Secundus
Ambassador

Founded: May 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Mnar Secundus » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:44 am

I just read Pottermore's list of wand woods. Can I change Jill's? It's not like she's used or described her wand IC yet.

Reader of The P2TM Times, a biweekly P2TM newspaper on the RPs and happenings of P2TM. Check it out!

Tomia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tomia » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:47 am

Mnar Secundus wrote:I just read Pottermore's list of wand woods. Can I change Jill's? It's not like she's used or described her wand IC yet.

Ya that should be fine.

Mnar Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mnar Secundus » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:51 am

Tomia wrote:
Mnar Secundus wrote:I just read Pottermore's list of wand woods. Can I change Jill's? It's not like she's used or described her wand IC yet.

Ya that should be fine.

Thanks. Then I'm editing her wand: it's actually cherry wood.

Reader of The P2TM Times, a biweekly P2TM newspaper on the RPs and happenings of P2TM. Check it out!

The House of the Fountain
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The House of the Fountain » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:04 am

Corrian wrote:Hufflepuff or Slytherin? Interesting choices.

Yeah well, there's 0 Hufflepuff first-years, I'll take one for the team!

Oliver is both hardworking, loyal,(Hufflepuff), and also manipulative, and charismatic (slytherin)

I think he is innately more selfless and just than self-preserving, hence the lean towards Hufflepuff

Tumbra
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:51 am

Wait, are we at Hogwarts yet?
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF TUMBRA
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic Database | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)
U-18 World Cup 13, 21 Champions/Di Bradini Cup 51, 57 Champions

Tomia
Post Marshal

New York Times Democracy

Postby Tomia » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:53 am

Tumbra wrote:Wait, are we at Hogwarts yet?

No, not yet.

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:54 am

Allied Omaha wrote:"Huh" Said Marcus Kyle, as he walked in the hallowed halls of the great wizard university, Hogwarts.

"So this is Hogwarts, I imagined it being bigger. Come along, Toby." Marcus said to his pet Wolf. They both walked forward.

OOC: Do I start like this?

Not understanding this then.
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic Database | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)

Lorellion
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lorellion » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:06 am

No matter what, we will be having the sorting today, so all first year players TG me a sorting post for your characters. I have gotten a lot of them, so thank you to those who have sent me theirs.

The House of the Fountain
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The House of the Fountain » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:08 am

Lorellion wrote:No matter what, we will be having the sorting today, so all first year players TG me a sorting post for your characters. I have gotten a lot of them, so thank you to those who have sent me theirs.

What's TG?

Lorellion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lorellion » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:09 am

The House of the Fountain wrote:
Lorellion wrote:No matter what, we will be having the sorting today, so all first year players TG me a sorting post for your characters. I have gotten a lot of them, so thank you to those who have sent me theirs.

What's TG?

Telegrams. They are private messages. Just send one to me with your character's sorting post.

Tomia
Post Marshal

New York Times Democracy

Postby Tomia » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:19 am

I messaged him about that. He hasn't been accepted. We have not reached the school yet.

Lorellion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lorellion » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:22 am

We will soon though. And did Aura and Ardan come into Ella, Walter, Alexander, Albert, and Claire's compartment?

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:37 am

I will go into Ella's compartment soon. If she's bullied for any political reasons, despite my shy appearance, I'll always be there.

Lorellion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lorellion » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:42 am

So I think I'm going to post the sorting ceremony at around 6:00. If you don't send me your character's sorting by then, don't worry. You all can still send me sortings after the original post and I will just edit them in.

Tomia
Post Marshal

New York Times Democracy

Postby Tomia » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:43 am

Lorellion wrote:So I think I'm going to post the sorting ceremony at around 6:00. If you don't send me your character's sorting by then, don't worry. You all can still send me sortings after the original post and I will just edit them in.

Are we going to do arriving at the school, and the opening speeches before the sorting?

Lorellion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lorellion » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:45 am

Tomia wrote:
Lorellion wrote:So I think I'm going to post the sorting ceremony at around 6:00. If you don't send me your character's sorting by then, don't worry. You all can still send me sortings after the original post and I will just edit them in.

Are we going to do arriving at the school, and the opening speeches before the sorting?

Sure. How about we have the train arrive now? That will give us some time to approach Hogwarts and get to know some of the professors.

Tomia
Post Marshal

New York Times Democracy

Postby Tomia » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:48 am

That sounds cool to me.

Mnar Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mnar Secundus » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:49 am

In how much time is that? I'm probably not in the same time zone as you.

Lorellion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lorellion » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:52 am

Mnar Secundus wrote:

In how much time is that? I'm probably not in the same time zone as you.

That's in about 5 hours. But we're having the train stop right now.

Mnar Secundus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mnar Secundus » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:04 am

Lorellion wrote:
Mnar Secundus wrote:In how much time is that? I'm probably not in the same time zone as you.

That's in about 5 hours. But we're having the train stop right now.

Thank you.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:06 am

So, I decided to do some of the Pottermore stuff for each of my characters, to figure out my accuracy with stuff. So far it seems like I generally picked a pretty good list of stuff.

Also, I did wands, and since none of my characters have mentioned anything about their wands yet, I feel like changing them. As I can see from the above, that appears to be okay to do.

Houses they ended up in:
Adair ended up in Hufflepuff, which is where I planned for her to end up.
Mist ended up in Ravenclaw, right where I was putting her.
Agatha ended up in Slytherin, which honestly didn't surprise me much at all. I pondered putting her in there but in the end chose Gryffindor. I'm thinking of this more as her evolving into a Slytherin as she grew into a teenager and developed her mind more, and maybe when she was younger the hat was on the fence about putting her in either Gryffindor or Slytherin. I already have some plot ideas related to her starting to feel like maybe she's in the wrong house.
Holly ended up in Hufflepuff, also expected.

I was surprisingly accurate in some ways with wands being suitable for them, as well.

Wands:
I typed Adair as having a 9 1/2 inch wand, Schlangenholz wood, Unicorn Hair core, and got Redwood with unicorn hair core, ten and three quarter inches, quite flexible from the webpage. I think I'll change hers.
I typed Agatha with a 14", Willow, Dragon Heartstring, and she got Fir with dragon hearstring core, twelve and a half inches, rigid. Gonna change hers, too.
I typed Mist with a 8", Redwood, Phoenix Feather, and she got Alder with unicorn hair core, eleven inches, slightly springy. I think I'm gonna keep this, but with phoenix feather core instead of unicorn hair core for something different, because I want to experiment with all core types and she seems like the best for phoenix feather.
I typed Holly with 16", Oak, Unicorn Hair, and she got Fir with unicorn hair core, fourteen and a quarter inches, unbending

The part I'm most surprised about is my accuracy in their wand length

And as a random thing, I edited birthdays into my characters app, so I know when they age up.

Anyway, the descriptions for the woods:
Adair's , which is redwood: Wand-quality redwood is in short supply, yet constant demand, due to its reputation for bringing good fortune to its owner. As is usually the case with wandlore, the general populace have the truth back to front: redwood wands are not themselves lucky, but are strongly attracted to witches and wizards who already possess the admirable ability to fall on their feet, to make the right choice, to snatch advantage from catastrophe

Agatha's AND Holly's, which is fir: Garrick Ollivander's august grandfather, Gerbold Octavius Ollivander, always called wands of fir wood ‘the survivor’s wand,’ because he had sold it to three wizards who subsequently passed through mortal peril unscathed.[2]

There is no doubt that this wood, coming as it does from the most resilient of trees, produces wands that demand staying power and strength of purpose in their true owners, and that they are poor tools in the hands of the changeable and indecisive. Fir wands are particularly suited to transfiguration, and favour owners of focused, strong-minded and, occasionally, intimidating demeanour.

Mist's, which is alder: Whilst Alder makes for an unyielding wood, its ideal owner is not stubborn or obstinate, but often helpful, considerate and most likeable. Whereas most wand woods seek similarity in the characters of those they will best serve, alder is unusual in that it seems to desire a nature that is, if not precisely opposite to its own, then certainly of a markedly different type.[2]

When an alder wand is happily placed, it becomes a magnificent, loyal helpmate. Of all wand types, alder is best suited to non-verbal spell work, whence comes its reputation for being suitable only for the most advanced witches and wizards.[2]

Alder is also excellent for protection against outside forces, and, when combined with phoenix feather, is a suitable match for a wizard who will "make their mark on this world". Last part is partly why I kept her wand with phoenix feather, but not completely.

So I feel like the woods and cores are relatively accurate to what I want now.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Charellia
Minister

Founded: Jul 24, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Charellia » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:07 am

I was without internet since Friday. Could somebody catch me up on what I missed?

Lorellion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lorellion » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:12 am

Charellia wrote:I was without internet since Friday. Could somebody catch me up on what I missed?

You didn't miss much. Just more train talk. I also asked everyone with first year characters to TG me a post of their character getting sorted. But now we have officially arrived.

Tomia
Post Marshal

New York Times Democracy

Postby Tomia » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:17 am

Does anyone remember how 4th years arrive?

Lorellion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lorellion » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:17 am

Tomia wrote:Does anyone remember how 4th years arrive?

By carriages that are pulled by Thestrals.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse