NATION

PASSWORD

Prospects of a New World (IC; SEMI-OPEN)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Vergenskia
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Prospects of a New World (IC; SEMI-OPEN)

Postby Vergenskia » Thu May 01, 2014 9:13 pm

It is the year of our lord, 1492 and word from Christopher Colombo, employed by Queen Isabella of Spain has relayed word that there is indeed another landmass beyond the horizon of the Atlantic. And it wasn't India... A fervor has sprung up around Europe of the prospects of wealth and power in this New World. Nations of Western Europe and others are sending explorers and colonists across the Ocean to the Unknown that lies beyond. You, great leader, shall control your nation on the Conquest and Colonization of the New World. Will your legacy be filled with Gold and Glory? Or filled with Brimstone and Fire? Only you can decide. Now go forth with your ambitions and fight for God and Country! Onwards! To the New World...

NOTE: Please everyone, before each post, say who and where you are.

Example: Lisbon, Portugal
Last edited by Vergenskia on Mon May 05, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A szabadság csak a szerzett a vérontást!

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -7.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.72

Here we go, Brownies! Here we go!

Divusia
Envoy

Founded: May 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Divusia » Fri May 02, 2014 12:06 am

Rome, the Papal States

Cardinal Tuccio entered the room and slapped two papers on the table.

"Your Holiness, Naples is getting unstable. Its king is excommunicated and mentally unfit," proclaimed the man. "Spain, the Holy Roman Empire, and even the Byzantines are sparring over it. Allow this madness to continue and your borders are shaken."

"Now, we have approximately 2800 soldiers stationed in the southern border," he continued. "General Ambrosio is in charge of that army. He can lay siege to the city while Admiral Adamo blockades its docks. We can get reinforcements from Florence to come down if anything goes wrong."

There was a long pause.

Finally, the reply.

"Yes."

The pope, a strong man in his early 60s, smiled at the cardinal. His face was peaceful, but full of unfathomable zeal. He started signing the papers and placed them in an envelope. He sealed the envelope with his fisherman's ring. Once stamped, he returned it to the cardinal.

"God be with you," was all he said.

Naples, Siege of Campania

"Captain Perro, wait for me to get through the walls. Once I'm in, ambush the Neapolitans once they spill out," ordered General Ambrosio. "You, Captain Celio, secure my front, and take care of incoming skirmishers. TREBUCHETS!"

Four shots of streaming balls of fire pounded the already corroded city walls. The city was on full alert. Hundreds upon hundreds of garrisoned crossbowmen and swordsmen fell down the walls.

Louis III, King of Naples, took command. Calling up to 500 peasants, 300 militiamen, 800 soldiers, and 60 bodyguards, he sallied forth the gates, only to be met by a rainfall of missile fire. Almost immediately up to three fourths of the peasants and militiamen fell.

"Change of plans. Captain Perro, retreat from your position!" Ambrosio was blocked from getting inside the gate by a wall of spearmen. "Flank the king while I charge. Captain Celio, try to hold those spearmen from me."

Perro took his light cavalry behind the king, and started to harass his bodyguards' flanks. Meanwhile Ambrosio broke through the line of infantry guarding the king. A counter attack from the king made it possible to hold off Ambrosio's cavalry charge.

The battle raged on for five hours. Reinforcements arrived. The situation was impossible for the king.

"I surrender!"
Last edited by Divusia on Fri May 02, 2014 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vergenskia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vergenskia » Fri May 02, 2014 12:39 am

Lisbon, Portugal

King João II sits at his desk, across the room from a renowned Captain and Explorer, Pedro Álvares Cabral. "We have heard rumors from Espanha that there is a new landmass out across the Atlântico. Their Explorer, Christopher Colombo has made landfall on an island they are now calling "Hispaniola". I'm asking you, with full funding of the Crown of Portugal, to round up a party and cross the Ocean to find these landmasses that are said to exist beyond the horizon. We've set your departure date to 3 days from now. Get yourself prepared."

Pedro nods his head, listening to his king. "How many ships am I bringing on this voyage, my liege?" He asks. "We have no idea what inhabits these new lands, so I also request that we bring 3 regiments of Tercio to bring with us."

"I completely agree with you, Pedro. I will give you our Flagship, two caravels, and four galleys on your voyage. And I will grant you your Tercio. You will be given enough supplies to make it to Cabo Verde." The King quickly signs a document and hands it to Pedro. "You will receive the rest of your rations and other supplies there. That will give you the authority to take what you need. Just give it to the Governador; Rodrigo Afonso. If there are any other requests before your departure, come to me, directly. Bom dia, Pedro." João replies to Pedro.

"Bom dia, my Lord." Pedro says, with a bow.
Last edited by Vergenskia on Fri May 02, 2014 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Political Compass:

The Kingdom of Greenford
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kingdom of Greenford » Fri May 02, 2014 5:47 am

I wonder when the conference wil take place...
Last edited by The Kingdom of Greenford on Fri May 02, 2014 10:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Alcase
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alcase » Fri May 02, 2014 6:30 am

Kingdom of England

London, England
The English kingdom, in 1492, was only a small nation. Despite this truth, the King knew that the nation could be propelled into a great amount of prestige. The Genoese explorer Christopher Colombus has returned from his expeditions and the Spanish are currently sending colonists. The King, Henry, plans to take advantage of this and orders his own colonial campaigns.

He also notices the greatness of the Scottish kingdom. The English and Scottish have been very close, and he intends to keep it that way. For that reason, he orders a courier sent to Edinburgh, straight to the King of Scotland, to discuss matters of diplomacy and alliance between the Kingdoms of Scotland and England.

Despite longing hatred towards the French, the English crown believes that colonization of the New World will only happen if the French cannot intervene in English affairs. If the English and French were to agree on a non-aggression stance towards one another, the English would very well be able to colonize freely.

Royal Message from the King of the English and Lord of the Irish

To: King of France, Lord of the Duchies of the French Kingdom and of the Vassals thereof
From: King Henry VIII of the Kingdom of England, Lord of Ireland, and Lord of the Hanoverian Estate
Subject: Non-Aggression
Message: Despite the hostile past of the French and English crowns, and the disputes between the territories of the French vassals and English lords, I propose that we put aside our hostilities. In doing so, we can both benefit, and perhaps even maintain the security of Europe; the home of us both. The Royal English Crown will also hereby denounce any English claim to the French Kingdom, and recognize that the Lord of France is the sovereign in the French Kingdom.

Signed,
Henry VIII, By the Grace of God , King of England, Lord of Ireland

Bristol, England
Within weeks, a private, Crown-endorsed company was chartered with exploring, claiming, and bringing back reports of land and possible colonial possession. The Company was titled the Colombian Company, named after the man who discovered the lands of the Americas. Although colonial settlements will not be able to be established immediately, the owner of the company hopes that the English will be able to gain footholds in the Americas by the end of the year. The Colombian Company was also granted protection from the Crown. Regiments of Royal Englishmen will be sent along with the English ships.

Colombian Company colonial propaganda in London.
Last edited by Alcase on Fri May 02, 2014 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Overview of Alcase
Alcasian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Alcasian Armed Forces

Track & XC 400m, 800m, 1600m, 5000m
2014 FHSAA XC Finals - 9th Place
2014 FHSAA XC Region 3A1 Runner-Ups
2014 BCAA Championship Runner-Ups
2014 Spanish River Invitational Boy's Champions Runner-Up
2013 FHSAA XC Finals - 12th Place
2013 Cardinal Gibbons Invitational Boy's Champions
2013 3A State Championship Boy's 4 x 800m - 3rd Place
2013 District 3A-15 Boy's Champions

Fascist Russian Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Russian Empire » Fri May 02, 2014 8:13 am

Holy Roman Empire,
Archduchy of Austria,
Vienna

Archduke Frederick V sat on his throne, pondering. Word that a potentially vast New World had been discovered to the west had reached his court, and he wanted to get a stake in it before the other major powers of Europe could grab it all. Wanting to organize Austrian expeditions to the New World as soon as possible, he contracted the Italian navigator and explorer John Cabot to claim as much land in the New World as he could for Austria. He had gone to many lengths to ensure that Austria would be a colonial power, including procuring harbor rights from the Dutch to base an expedition fleet, and the buying of both ships and supplies for an expedition.

"Mister Cabot, welcome; I am delighted to see you." He said as the Italian explorer entered the throne-room, bowing to the Archduke and Emperor.
"Likewise, your majesty. Now, you wished to employ my services?" Cabot asked, politely. Archduke Frederick nodded. "Indeed. I want to get my own stake in the New World; I'm quite certain that the Spanish and Portuguese, at least, will already be organizing their own expeditions and I want to make sure that Austria doesn't lag behind in grabbing land in this New World. As such, I want you to explore as much land in the New World as you can, and claim as much territory as you can for the Empire. After some negotiations and convincing, I've managed to get fleet basing rights in the Dutch Republic, where I want you to have a colonization fleet depart from Amsterdam with three frigates and two caravels. You will be well paid for this work, I assure you. Now, mister Cabot, do we have a deal?" The Archduke said to Cabot.

"Of course we have a deal, your majesty." Cabot said with a bow. "Good. I expect you to leave in no more than three weeks time. Several regiments of pikemen will be accompanying you in the event that any native savages attempt to attack the expedition. Now, make haste to Amsterdam, where I already have the ships and supplies for your expedition prepared." The Emperor said, handing Cabot a document confirming his status as an imperial explorer, with the Hapsburg seal stamped on it. "It will be done, your majesty." He said, taking the paper, giving a final bow before departing.

Vergenskia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vergenskia » Fri May 02, 2014 9:50 am

Lisboa, Portugal

King João takes a formal piece of parchment from another part of his desk and starts to write on it.

To: Henry VII; King of England and Lord of Ireland
From: Lord-King João II of Portugal, the Algarves and Cueta
Subject: On the New World

With the discovery of a new continent across the sea, by Queen Isabella and her explorer, Christopher Colombo, I propose that there shall be a continuation of our Alliance as it comes to any colonization of it. We need not to go into open hostilities over these new lands and shall continue our open cooperation in the new world. I greatly hope that our alliance will continue until the end of times or the destruction of our Kingdoms.

Signed,
João II; O Principe Perfeito, Rei de Portugal, Algarves e Ceuta

He stamps his seal on it, with wax and hands it to a courier to send to its destination.
Last edited by Vergenskia on Fri May 02, 2014 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Political Compass:

Elderowa
Senator

Founded: Nov 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Elderowa » Fri May 02, 2014 11:51 am

Oslo, Kingdom of Norway
Akershus Castle:

Oslo, sometimes referred to as "New Jerusalem", the capital of Norway. It has also been the capitol for the Jews for Hundreds of Years, since it's establishment by King Harald Hardrade. Ever since the rule of Haakon the Young, Norway has been the home for the Jews, both Nordic and Diasporic. The Blossoming Renaissance, which had only arrived to Norway 50 years ago, has dramatically changed Norway from a relatively Conservative Kingdom to a highly liberal One; Arts, Statues and Writings Flourish through out the Kingdom, supported by the Norwegian Nobility and the Rich Jewish Immigrants that brought as much wealth as they could. Ideals such as Humanism and Self-Awareness had affected the Norwegians, creating Public Universities and Schools, Guilds and People Assemblies. The religion itself was also shaken by the Renaissance, as several new Jewish Sects and Movements had arisen in the Kingdom, threatening the hold of traditional Judaism over Society. Although many Nobles, Merchants and Clergymen did not like the more radical elements of the Renaissance, King Yamshin "The Educated" Oldendbergh, and his son and current King, Bente, have been very supportive of all the elements of the Renaissance, even creating an elected Legislature for the Jewish Commoners who owned property, which the Nobles where displeased with, as they had been the only ones in the Legislature before.

Recently, the Norwegians also learned of a new world, which the Spaniards had named "America". King Bente believed in the old Rabbi Legends of a Viking Warrior, Erik the Red, having settled in distant lands far away, and believed that these Continents could have Norse Settlers living there. Bente was determined to find them and re-patronize them to Norway, as well as expand the lands Norway rules. Unfortunately, the Noblemen wouldn't finance such an operation, believing Erik the Red to simply be a Legend, and Bente himself did not have much Money himself.

Fortunately for him, a rich Ashkenazi Banker came to King Bente with a sack of Gold in a wool Bag. "My King," The Ashkenazim, named Abraham Ettenkirgg, said with a bow, "I am Abraham Ettenkirgg, and I am a rich Banker from Molde."

Bante slouched on his throne, for he thought the Banker only needed a royal licence for an expansion of his bank, an act only the King is allowed to do. "Greetings, Abraham Ettenkirgg. To what pleasure do I have of you being in my presence? Do you need a permit or a licence?"

"I am going to need more then that, my King." Ettenkirgg said. "I have a proposition for you and your kingdom. As you may know, there is a new world to the west of us, known as the Americas."

Bante's curiosity raised. "Yes, I have, and so have many others in my Kingdom. Why do you bring that up?"

"Well, sire," Ettenkirgg said, pulling out a piece of paper. "A few months ago, me and many other Ashkenazi Bankers united and with Governor Liechmann Fraunzig's approval, formed 'The Oslo Colonization and Land Development Company'." He presented the King with the Official License from the Governor for the Business.

"A Colonization Colony?" Bante said as he read the License. It was indeed official, and signed by Fraunzig himself.

"Yes sir," Ettenkirgg said. "We wish to create cities in the new world under your rule, my King. As you know, Charters are only given if the King and the Legislature agree to it. We need a Charter to begin the first Colonies in the new world for Norway!"

The King was ecstatic now. "This is perfect!" Bante said, "This is just what I needed to gain lands in the new world! I am certain the Legislature will agree to giving you a Charter for new world lands. I shall ask the Cabinet to vote for a Royal Charter for you immediately!" Before Ettenkirgg left, Bante's mind thought of something. "Forgive me, Sir Ettenkirgg, but where do you wish to Colonize in the New World?"

Ettenkirgg turned around, laughed a little, and took out a map. Although the New World hadn't been fully mapped, a small Island off the Coast of the North had been circled with a Blue Ink. This was to be the first place for new Norwegian Colonies.

For Weeks, both Chambers of Legislature, the Felles Hus and the Noble Hus, debated on the subject of granting a Charter to the Company. Many in the Noble Hus where adamantly against the Charter, for it would give the King what he wanted, and many of the Nobles where angry at the King for his support of Heresy and Blasphemy. Many in the Felles Hus, however, where supportive of Colonizing the new lands, as it would increase their Kingdoms Prestige and Power. The Fellen Hus soon accepted the Charter by a vote of 98-24-2, but in the Noble Hus, it appeared that the Charter would not pass. Luckily, before the Vote, the King decided to make a deal with the Noble Hus; he would fight back against Heretical Movements in the Kingdom if they approved the measure. Although the Nobles would have liked more, they believed this was a good first step, and many Rabbis pressured the Nobles to go along with it. By a vote of 31-13-5, the Noble Hus accepted the Charter, and on February 8th, the King signed the Charter and gave it to Ettenkirgg, who was happy to finally go back to Molde and send his companies boats off to the new world...

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Marsisian » Fri May 02, 2014 2:55 pm

Edinburgh, Scotland

King James sat on his throne as a government official told him about the landmass to the west. "My king, we have received word that the Spanish are planning to colonize a landmass across the Atlantic that we haven't known about until now." "I want the commander of the Scottish Navy, right now!" The commander ran in, then asked him what he wanted. Your highness, what do you need from me?" "Commander, we have heard about a previously unknown landmass to the west, and the Spanish are planning to colonize it fully. I want you to send ships to claim land for us and cement an empire." "But we don't know what dangers lay ahead for us, James!" "I am willing to take the risk." "If you say so.... I shall bring the other leaders of the navy here and we shall talk about it."

The King then sat down in a long table with many naval leaders sitting as well. "So, my king, what do we do when we land on the new landmass?" "Found a colony and a city, preferably in a good place." "There might be a lot of angry natives in the new land." "Then you shall be provided with soldiers as well." "I suppose we shall start making preparations, your highness." "Good." The King was excited, because a Scottish empire could be large, and grand, more than enough to become a great European power.
Last edited by Marsisian on Fri May 02, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Last edited by Erich von Manstein on June 9, 1973, edited 24 times in total

MGSV: The Phantom Pain hype! Game of the decade!

Aden Protectorate
Senator

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aden Protectorate » Fri May 02, 2014 5:08 pm

BUDAPEST
KINGDOM OF HUNGARY

The King of Hungary and Croatia, Vlaudislaus II also known as Vladislaus II the Jagiellonian, King of Bohemia sat on his throne in the Palace of the Diet (Palota a Diéta) in the Kingdom of Hungary. Though he was also King of Bohemia he had not set foot in Bohemia since he had received the crown of Hungary in 1490, only two years before. He was also an elector of the Holy Roman Empire. But he had left those powers to his Regent for the past two years while he had been solidifying his power base in Hungary.

Vladislaus stood still like a statue as the procession of the members of the Diet of Hungary entered the Palace of the Diet. These people where his advisers, and representatives of every part of his Hungarian realm. They where representatives of every major house, clique, duchy, barony, and ecclesiastical dominion. He wore the Crown of Saint Stephen, and the Green, White and Red robes of the Monarch of Hungary. As the procession filed in and once every Dietate was seated Vladislaus stood. In his hands he wielded the Scepter of Hungary and the Globus Cruciger of Bohemia.

The major item of the Diet were the Procedures for the Election of the Successor to the King of Hungary, eventually after heated debate between the representatives of the major houses such as Hapsburg, and Jagiellonian it was decided that the Successor would be selected by the previous Monarch from a pool of Dietate's and then confirmed by the Diet. With the approval of the King this motion was passed and the issue was settled.

After three hours of debate and voting on minor protocols such as: the appointment of the Admiral of the Hungarian fleet and as word had arrived from Spain that a New World had been found in the West az Atlanti-óceán, a land that was not the land of India, the approval of an expedition to the New World. And the taxing laws for the next five years. The King made sure that the Diet did not discuss the fine details of the expedition to the New World, he and the Palatine had agreed to discuss the plans with Austria, who the King had heard that they would be sending an expedition as well.

Once the Diet had ended its session for the day the King and the Palatine left the Palace of the Diet and entered the Palace of Budapest, on the Danube river in the Center of Budapest. They entered the private conference room in the Palace, where the leaders of the Navy, Army, Trade and Foreign Affairs stood in wait. Among them where other prominent members of the Court. When the King entered tehy rose and when he sat so did they.

The King began.

"Greetings to you all. We have come to congress today to inform you on our plans to benefit from a rising situation. We have received word from Spain that they have discovered a new land in the western az Atlanti-óceán, one that is not India. We have also received word that many nations, including to our north the Archduchy of Austria have decided to attempt a mission to establish a settlement in this new land. The Diet has confirmed that we will be attempting a settlement mission. I have asked you to come here to listen to the proposal for how we will attempt this. My Palatine, you have the floor."

The Palatine stood then bowed and addressed the crowd.

"Thank you your majesty. We propose that we attempt our mission of settlement of the new land, which we have decided to call Ujfoldlund, be conducted with the cooperation of the Archduchy of Austria. The King and I have composed a communique requesting the presence of the Archduke in Budapest to further discuss this. The communique will be sent out within the hour. Any objections?

There where none. Once the meeting was dismissed and the people and all left to retire to their rooms the King requested a courier, who then took the communique to Vienna, right into the lapel of the Archduke of Austria.

Magyar Királyság

FROM: The Desk of Vladislaus II, King of Hungary, Croatia and Bohemia
TO: Fredrick V, Archduke of Austria and Holy Roman Emperor

Dear sir,

As you may know Europe has received word of a New World in the Western az Atlanti-óceán. The Kingdom of Hungary has received word that the Archduchy of Austria will be sending a fleet to attempt a settlement of this new world. The Kingdom of Hungary is also attempting a mission of settlement of this New World. Austria and Hungary have long been friends of the highest magnitude, and we ask that our friendship continue in this continuation.

We would wish that Austria and Hungary would cooperate on this venture. As such the Kingdom of Hungary would like to request your presence in Budapest, to if possible discuss the implications and arrangements of such a venture between our two great nations. I would ask that you reply with the swiftest courier. I eagerly wait your gracious reply.

Signed,
Vladislaus II of Hungary

The Kingdom of Greenford
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Kingdom of Greenford » Fri May 02, 2014 5:18 pm

Copenhagen, Denmark
Rosenborg Castle:

As King George II of Denmark sat quietly, on his throne in Rosenberg Castle, listening to an endless crowd of ambassadors, petitioners, advisers, and government officials in the throne room. Suddenly, Leo Ericsson, one of the king's most trusted and loyal advisers burst into the throne room with sweat dripping down his face "Your majesty, your majesty! We have dire news, the Spanish have discovered a previously unknown landmass across the Atlantic ocean and they're planning to colonize it!" Eric said, gasping for air. "Send in the commander of the Danish Navy, immediately" the king said. Then, a few minutes later, when all of the ambassadors, petitioners, advisers, and government officials left the room, the king got up and quickly walked to his office, where he eagerly awaited the arrival of the Admiral.

A few hours later, as the king sat at his desk, examining the massive pile of reports, newspapers, petitions, and documents littered across his desk. Eric Halvarsson, the Admiral of the Danish fleet entered the room and quietly sat down on a nearby velvet chair. "Why have you brought me here, your majesty?" Eric asked intently "We have heard rumors from Spain that there is a new landmass out across the Atlantic. Their Explorer, Christopher Columbus has made landfall on an island they are now calling Hispaniola. I'm asking you, with full funding and support of the Danish crown to assemble a party and sail for the New World" the king explained "But, my liege, when I reach the new world, what am I to do?" As Eric nervously "You are to find an ideal location for a city and establish a Danish colony there, you are to be provided four caravels and four galleons along with four regiments of soldiers along with two-hundred settlers. Your departure is set for tomorrow, and your ships are going be ready by tomorrow morning in the docks. Do you understand?" the king asked. Eric nodded and left the room "Have a good day, your majesty" Eric said "You too" King George II responded excitedly. The idea of a Danish colony in the new world fascinated him. Soon, he took a blank piece of paper and began to write a letter:

To: Henry VII; King of England and Lord of Ireland and Lord-King João II of Portugal, the Algarves and Cueta
Subject: On the New World

Due to the recent discovery of a new continent across the sea by Queen Isabella of Spain, I would like to propose an alliance with the Kingdoms of England and Portugal in hopes of establishing closer diplomatic relations with each other and in hopes of ensuring peace and prosperity among our nations. I hope that we may be able to set aside our differences and establish an alliance that will not only ensure our dominance and sovereignty over the New World but also to ensure the prosperity and wealth of our nations.

Signed,
George II of Denmark
Last edited by The Kingdom of Greenford on Fri May 02, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Whiteshore
Senator

Founded: Nov 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Whiteshore » Fri May 02, 2014 5:37 pm

Constantinople
The Emperor,Skantarios I Laskaris was in his palace in the Queen of Cities,with a population of 370,000,it was the largest city outside of China.The Emperor,upon hearing of the news of the discovery of the "Americas" set about summoning his top admirals to discuss the situation and also decreed the formation of a "Roman Society for the Colonization Of the Americas" to encourage Roman citizens to invest in colonial ventures or settle in Rhomania's colonies in the Americas.
My Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -2.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.49

My favorite singers are Psy,Carly Rae Jepsen,and Katy Perry

#DownWithReactionaries
#StandWithProgressivists

Divusia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Divusia » Fri May 02, 2014 5:46 pm

Rome, the Papal States

A loud cough.

"Are there people in this New World?"

"Yes, Your Holiness," replied the Italian explorer and navigator Amerigo Vespucci. "I've been there myself a few occasions. There is even talk from the conquistadores of an ancient civilization whose cities are filled with nothing but gold and silver."

"And you're sure it's not the Indies or the Japans?"

"I'm very certain."

"Is Europe aware of this?"

"Your Holiness, even the Byzantines have reached word of this."

"I remember one of our scholars telling me about some Roman philosopher saying it is this that leads to open war. It's clear that Europe is indeed bound to fight itself. Unless--"

The pontiff coughed up again, this time twice as hard. He shook down from his chair, coughing all the more, until he fell silent.

"Holy Father? GUARDS, ANYONE, HELP!"

Almost immediately, 20 Noble Guards broke into the room.

Old Saint Peter's Square

Cardinal Tuccio rose from the balcony, addressing the thousands of people in the square.

"The pope is dead."
Last edited by Divusia on Fri May 02, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fascist Russian Empire
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Russian Empire » Fri May 02, 2014 5:54 pm

Holy Roman Empire,
Archduchy of Austria,
Vienna

The Archduke briefly pondered as he read through the message from the King of Hungary, laying back on his throne. Hmm...To work with the Hungarians or not...Should I share this New World with Hungary, and strengthen our relations with them, or ignore their request and take everything for myself... He thought, thinking of the implications of both agreeing to work together in colonization and just ignoring the Hungarians altogether. After a while of thinking, he elected to take the former, and strike up a colonial alliance with the Hungarians. He wrote out a letter to the Hungarians, and fetched his swiftest messenger. "Take this letter to Budapest and deliver it to the King of Hungary, and make haste." He said to his envoy, who nodded as he took the letter and went off by horseback to the capital of Hungary to deliver the message, which reads:

König Wladislaw von Ungarn

Nach reiflicher Überlegung habe ich beschlossen, dass es im Interesse aller sein, dass der Erzherzogtum und Ungarn zusammen in einem Kolonial Venture zu arbeiten. Natürlich, während ich damit einverstanden, auf eine gemeinsame Mission in die Neue Welt zu arbeiten, werde ich Grenzen zu ziehen, erwarten, Teilung des Vaterlandes zwischen unseren beiden Ländern. Ich werde in Budapest ankommen werden innerhalb von zwei Tagen bei den meisten um die Auswirkungen der Kolonial Allianz und einer gemeinsamen Ansiedlung der Neuen Welt zwischen Ungarn und Österreich zu diskutieren.

Friedrich III, heiliger römischer Kaiser

Almost immediately after having his envoy depart, the Emperor gathered a guard force of two dozen Imperial soldiers and started traveling by carriage to Budapest. After just under two days of traveling, Frederick and his guard unit arrived in the city. Having heralds dramatically announce his arrival with trumpeting, the Emperor entered the city quite fancily, with his guards bearing standards of Austria and the Holy Roman Empire. He and his guards walked to the King's palace, the Emperor wearing both the crown of the Empire and his finest robes. "You may inform the King that the Emperor has arrived." The Emperor said to the palace guards, scepter in hand, staring expectantly at the guards.

King Vladislaus of Hungary

After much consideration, I have decided that it would be in everyone's best interest for the Archduchy and Hungary to work together in a colonial venture. Of course, while I shall agree to work on a joint mission to the New World, I shall expect boundaries to be drawn, dividing the native land between our two lands. I shall be arriving in Budapest within two days at most to discuss the implications of a colonial alliance and a joint settling of the New World between Hungary and Austria.

Frederick III, Holy Roman Emperor

Vergenskia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vergenskia » Fri May 02, 2014 6:19 pm

Lisboa, Portugal

A messenger relays to the King that a message had arrived from Copenhague. João takes another formal parchment and begins to write on it.

To: King George II of Denmark
From: Lord-King João II of Portugal, the Algavres and Ceuta
Subject: Alliance

An alliance between Portugal and Denmark would be exceptionally advantageous to both of our nations, seeing both are small in the eyes of the rest of Europe. I will graciously accept your offer for a full diplomatic and military alliance between the Kingdoms of Portugal and Denmark, upon the ratification of a formal treaty of both nations.

Signed,

He rolls up the parchment and hands it to another courier and sends him on his way.

Soon after, another messenger comes to the King. "Sir, we have news from Roma that the Holy Father; Pope Innocentus VIII has passed away!" João slams his fist on the table and exclaims, "How has he died?!" The courier only replies with, "An illness, my liege." João slumps back in his chair and says to him, "Inform me immediately when his funeral services will be held. I will attend them, myself..."

Political Compass:

Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 15, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Britanania » Fri May 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Paris, Kingdom of France

Paris was abuzz. News from across the world was circulating in the French capital in a pace not seen since perhaps the end of the century of war with England. Reports of a so called New World had piqued the interest of every scoundrel and adventurer in the Kingdom, and they were flocking by the hundreds to get permission from His Majesty the King to find passage to the West. Meanwhile, news had recently arrived that Pope Alexander VI had perished, and the French Cardinals were eager to have a Frenchmen return to the Papacy.

All this and more was on the mind of the ageing Charles. He ruled over the largest and most powerful Kingdom in Europe, and enjoyed the wealth and power that came with that. The news of this New World interested the King greatly, and had sent several expeditionary ships to explore. He had recently hired an Italian, Giovanni da Verrazzano, to lead his men to the West.

Lastly, there was this business with England Charles didn't trust the Tudors. They had only come to power through treachery and war. Yes, his family had sheltered them during England's civil war, but Charles didn't have to like it.

"The only good Englishmen, is a dead one," he uttered to his Court, who laughed merrily at his jest.
Christus vincit; Christus regnat; Christus imperat
"All things have their season, and in their times all things pass under heaven"--Ecclesiastes 3:1
"Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king."
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected"--G. K. Chesterton
Pro: British Unionism, Catholicism, Classicism, Conservatism, High Toryism, Monarchism, Traditionalism
Anti: Consumerism, Devolution, Materialism, Modernism, Post-Modernism, Progressivism

Alcase
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alcase » Fri May 02, 2014 6:36 pm

London, England
Back in England, things were very much different. King Henry VIII was virtually bombarded with friendly letters, which was a surprise. The English had not had a very friendly history, however the nations of Europe seem to come to a peaceful settlement in this Age of Exploration!

Concerning the recent emphasis on colonization and exploration, the King has ordered the Royal Navy's numbers to increase ten-fold, and the Royal Army's to increase four-fold. Although this will take time, King Henry VIII and his military advisers in Parliament are certain this will be able to establish the English as a global power.

After reviewing the letters from the other Lords of the European nations, the King replied to them all. He accepted the Portuguese, Scottish, and Danish alliance and currently awaits the French Lord's replies.
Last edited by Alcase on Fri May 02, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overview of Alcase
Alcasian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Alcasian Armed Forces

Track & XC 400m, 800m, 1600m, 5000m
2014 FHSAA XC Finals - 9th Place
2014 FHSAA XC Region 3A1 Runner-Ups
2014 BCAA Championship Runner-Ups
2014 Spanish River Invitational Boy's Champions Runner-Up
2013 FHSAA XC Finals - 12th Place
2013 Cardinal Gibbons Invitational Boy's Champions
2013 3A State Championship Boy's 4 x 800m - 3rd Place
2013 District 3A-15 Boy's Champions

Aden Protectorate
Senator

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aden Protectorate » Fri May 02, 2014 6:39 pm

BUDAPEST
KINGDOM OF HUNGARY

The palace guards acted quickly when they learned that the Emperor had arrived. They had been told to expect him by the King, and they acted with grace and efficiency. The two guards on either side of the entrance entered the the courtyard. Which was surrounded by high cobblestone walls. Two parallel lines of guards formed a pathway to the entrance of the outer palace and the gardens. They marched down the pathway into the outer palace and gardens. Where the Royal procession stood. They informed the King of the Emperor's arrival. They then rushed back to the entrance and signaled for the Emperor to enter.

They then proceeded to lead the procession down the pathway. The doors leading to the outer palace and the gardens swung open. Out walked the Royal procession. The King wearing the Crown on Saint Stephen, wielding the Scepter of Hungary and the Globus Cruciger of Bohemia. And wearing the Red, Green and White robes of the Monarch of Hungary headed the processsion. With four servants carrying a crimson velvet canopy over his, the Queen's and Royal children's heads.

As the two processions approached and came to a halt the King left his canopy to greet the Emperor. He placed the Globus Cruciger in the velvet pillow carried by a servant. The King made his way down to the pathway and approached the Emperor. He ceremoniously bowed, as did the Emperor in turn. The King and the Emperor then walked down the path followed by their respective entourages. The Hungarian servants attended to the Emperor's personal belongings. As they walked down the pathway after exchanging pleasantries the King asked the Emperor a question.

".....and of course afterwards we have a magnificent feast planned. The finest delicacies from all over Hungary. Afterwards we may retire and discuss the plans. I am also concerned that the death of the Pope may have some implications. As the election of a Spanish, French or Portuguese Pope may hinder our expansion. What do think of this?"

The Kingdom of Greenford
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Kingdom of Greenford » Fri May 02, 2014 6:47 pm

Copenhagen, Denmark
Rosenborg Castle:

It was a warm, sunny day in the city of Copenhagen as King George II sat at his desk, examining a map of Europe, a messenger burst into the room, as he held a crumpled piece of parchment. "Your majesty, I have news that may be of interest to you" he said, exhaustively "Go on" the king said "We have dire reports that Pope Innocentus VIII has passed away a few days ago" he said "How could this happen?" the king asked, shocked by the Pope's sudden death "He died of illness, you highness" the messenger replied "Notify me immediately when his funeral services will be held, for I wish to attend them myself." the king said quietly "Yes, your highness" the messenger said briskly as he slowly walked out of the office "Before you leave, what is that crumpled up piece of paper in your hand?" the king asked "Oh, I almost forgot, the King of Portugal as well as the King of England have accepted your offer and are now your allies" the messenger replied "Very well then, you may leave" the king said. After the messenger left, he looked outside of a large window facing him. From the window, he saw the entire city of Copenhagen below him; the streets were filled with people wearing expensive and luxurious clothing as majestic churches towered over the city. The harbor, was filled with merchant ships as merchants crowded the markets of the city, bringing wealth and prosperity to the city. Although the rich and wealthy city was indeed impressive, the most impressive sight of all were the numerous caravels and galleons docked in the harbor that were about to set out for the the New World.
Last edited by The Kingdom of Greenford on Fri May 02, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Divusia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Divusia » Fri May 02, 2014 6:59 pm

The Holy See

Status Pontificius | Stato della Chiesa | The Papal States

To: Their Majesties the Catholic Monarchs of Portugal, France, Spain, Austria, Hungary, Scotland, England, and all other rulers under God

By the grace of Christ, our beloved Holy Father and Vicar of Christ Innocent VIII has passed unto heaven. You are cordially invited to attend the funeral and High Mass at the Basilica of Saint Peter on the eve of the 4th of January, this year of our Lord 1493. A plenary indulgence is mandated for all those who come with good intentions. The papal conclave shall follow immediately.

Signed,
His Eminence
Cardinal Erminio Tuccio

Fascist Russian Empire
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Russian Empire » Fri May 02, 2014 7:08 pm

Hungary,
Budapest

The Emperor halted, abruptly, and stood for a moment in thought. "You need not worry about the Pope. Even if the next Pope should dare to challenge the authority of the Empire, we can always arrange for him to be assassinated, or set up an anti-pope to challenge his legitimacy. We need'st not be subservient to the Church." He said, boldly. While Frederick was officially Catholic, he had for a long time been opposed to the Church being a powerful political entity in Europe, and secretly held sympathies for reformation groups such as the Lollards. "The Church might be powerful, but we are even more-so powerful; we rule over two of the strongest realms in Europe, and if the Pope tries to tell us what to do, we can show him just how weak he is next to the Empire." He said, confidently; the Empire had gone so far as to war against the Papacy in the past, and Frederick wanted to follow in his predecessors footsteps in undermining the power of the Church as much as possible.

OOC: Sorry for the short and shitty post, but I couldn't think of anything else to add.

Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 15, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Britanania » Fri May 02, 2014 7:15 pm

Paris, France

The King sat in his chair, thinking things over. The Pope was dead, and the Archbishop of Paris was one of the frontrunners for the Holy See. Charles pondered it a little more and called his secretary over.

"Pen for me this letter. To His Royal Majesty, King Henry VII of the Kingdom of England, Lord of Ireland, and Lord of the Hanoverian Estate; we believe the time has come to put our bloodied past behind us. As your Majesty is aware, we are without issue, however, we have many French noblewoman, one of whom will be perfect for your son Arthur to marry. Although it is known that Arthur is betrothed to a Princess of Spain, a Princess of France will benefit us both far more."

When it was finished the King stamped the letter and sent it off. He turned back.

"To His Majesty King João II. Our cousin. Times are changing, and we have decided to make note of this. We are planning a series of conquests, and there is a place in this for Your Majesty. Your duty is likely know, and we pray you perform your part."
Christus vincit; Christus regnat; Christus imperat
"All things have their season, and in their times all things pass under heaven"--Ecclesiastes 3:1
"Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king."
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected"--G. K. Chesterton
Pro: British Unionism, Catholicism, Classicism, Conservatism, High Toryism, Monarchism, Traditionalism
Anti: Consumerism, Devolution, Materialism, Modernism, Post-Modernism, Progressivism

Elderowa
Senator

Founded: Nov 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Elderowa » Fri May 02, 2014 7:17 pm

Molde, Kingdom of Norway
February 26th, 1493
The Docks:

The Three Large Ships of the Oslo Colonization and Land Development Company where loading the Essentials: Wool, Milk, Cattle and Sheep, some Guns, some Swords, some Heavy Coats, but the Most important thing they brought where tools that are meant to build the Colonies out of the Ground on the New World.

They wouldn't leave until Mid-April, when the Ice began to break and all the people who wish to go to the new world have decided definitely if they want to go there. Based on their Reports, they have 800 people willing to pay to voyage and settle in the new world, and there's enough room on the ships for 2,500 men and women to go. With their supplies, they would also last many months in the new world without the need to return or ask for assistance from the Kingdom.

Abraham Ettenkirgg stood over the sailors loading the goods on the ship, counting them as they went too and fro. As he counted, he felt a strong sense of pride, not only in himself and his company, but to the Kingdom; the Kingdom his father ran to after his family was kicked out of France, a nation where he wasn't even Nordic but because of his Judaism he was treated as an equal. He also felt happy in knowing that he would never suffer persecution like he did as a Child in France. He couldn't help but smile...

Oslo, Norway
February
Akershus Castle:

News had just arrived from Italy in Southern Europe; The King of the Christians, Pope Innocent VIII, had died of an Unidentified Illness in his 80's. Although the Kingdom of Norway was Jewish in Spirit and Nature, the two Kingdoms had increasingly become at least friendly to one another; at least they where not outright hostile. King Bente Oldendbergh decided to send Karl Yurveik, a Top Diplomat to Sweden, to the Christian City of Rome to pay Tribute to the King. It was also to try to keep a friendly appearance to all Christian Nations near his own.

To the Eternal City of Rome,

May your City Flourish Forever. We have received word your Pope has recently passed away, and that a funereal will be held for him. Although I am too busy to go myself to the Glorious City, I wish to send a Diplomat, Karl Yurveik, to pay tribute to your fallen Pope. While we may be Jewish, we still are friendly, have no ill will against your Monarch or religion, and wish to show our respect to him as your own people will. Please allow our Diplomat to enter your city and pay respect on behalf of our Kingdom.

Signed, King Bente Oldendbergh, King of the Judaic Kingdom of Norway.

Vergenskia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vergenskia » Fri May 02, 2014 7:25 pm

Lisboa, Portugal

Another letter is sent to the King. This time with the sign of The Valois. He opens it, hastily and reads through it. João nods his head in full understanding and takes a piece of parchment and prepares to send it to Paris

To: King Charles VII of France
From: Lord-King João II of Portugal, The Algarves and Ceuta

In full understanding, I will instruct the Cardinals of Portugal in the Holy See to do as you request. We will see that a French Pope sits in the Vatican, in trade that we will obtain a part of your conquests. I also propose a full diplomatic and military alliance between the Kingdoms of France and Portugal, for future hostilities against our two nations.

Signed,

Political Compass:

Baja California y Sonora
Minister

Founded: Oct 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Baja California y Sonora » Fri May 02, 2014 8:08 pm

Reserved for Spain. WIP.

Next

Advertisement