NATION

PASSWORD

The Civil War: Generals and Soldiers (OOC/Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Which nation do you think is the most powerful in the Americas (Excluding Brazil and the US)

Canada
61%
Mexico
20%
Colombia
1%
Venezuela
6%
Peru
No votes
Argentina
6%
Chile
2%
Other (Please Specify)
3%

Total votes : 88

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

The Civil War: Generals and Soldiers (OOC/Open)

Postby Marsisian » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:39 pm

Credit to Euronion for the idea, who is, by now, an ex-nation, and Zontron, for remaking the RP, but said RP died shortly after.

For those of you who are curious about the "Generals and Soldiers" part of the title, it is referring to an idea that I had about a possible way to do an RP thread. Some players will act as Generals of either side, they will manage strategy, they will decide what positions to take, what troops to send, etc. etc. but when it comes down to tactics and the battlefield, the soldiers will be the ones fighting. As the title says this thread takes place during the Civil War. We are trying to be historically accurate so the South and the North are going to have certain resources and foreign nations will not involve themselves. Since the Civil War has huge amounts of information associated with each I've decided to compile a short summary of the sides and their assets. However this historical accuracy by no means dictates whether battles are won or lost, what invasions are taken when, etc. etc. Generals and Soldiers will have complete Freedom to fight each other in whatever way they see fit. Please note that the summaries below are drastically simplified and adapted to make a good RP experience, they do not reflect my views but the views of the people in their respective countries at that time.

Rules
-No Metagaming
-No One-liners
-No Flaming
-No breaking the rules, ironically
-No Godmodding
-Have fun!

Side Summaries

The North
Goal: Crush the Southern Rebellion and reincorporate them into the Union.
Leader: Abraham Lincoln
Assets:
-Large Food Producer (Troops will not starve in friendly territory unless they are under siege or put under extreme conditions)
-Strong and Long-Standing Federal Government (This means that you will be able to draft more troops, things will be built faster, etc.)
-Industrialized (more weapons and tools)
-Great Ports (larger Navy and greater naval variety)
-Inspiring Leader (You may recommend the President give a speech or visit troops, this will greatly increase morale)
-Large Network of Railroads (Goods and troops can be delivered faster NOTE: Railroad tracks are fair game to attack so this asset is limited)
Disadvantages:
-Domestic Opposition Forces (Southern Sympathizers and a firm tradition of freedom may lead to dissent and unpopularity at home meaning demoralized troops)
-Strong Judicial System (Judges may decide that some of your actions are Unconstitutional and stop them from taking effect)

The South
Goal: Independence
Leader: Jefferson Davis
Assets:
-King Cotton (Troops are more resistant to cold and will suffer less morale degradation in Cold Weather and Winter Warfare)
-Inspiring Cause (Many more troops will join your cause, however many will be untrained)
-Westpoint Graduates (Officers are far better trained and will be harder to break in battle)
-Native American Support (Extra not-well-trained troops will be available to join your side)
-Natural Equestrian Riders (Cavalry make up a greater percentage of your force and they are better trained than Union Cavalry)
Disadvantages:
-Not that many agricultural assets (Troops will starve quickly if supply lines are not taken care of)
-Prejudiced (Non-Whites and Non-Anglo-Saxons will be far less inclined to join your cause)
-Rebellious Slaves (Demanding too much from your farmers may cause slave revolts or slaves joining the enemy cause)
-Confederate Structure and New Government (States have more rights and the Confederate government does not have as much authority over them as the Union)
-Incompetent Leader (Jefferson Davis is focused on military affairs and cares about little else, the people do not identify with him, morale may suffer)

These advantages and disadvantages can be exploited throughout the game. Below are applications, if you are a general please pick a name from the list of Generals, though if you REALLY don't like any of those names you are free to create a custom general but you will be required to provide a short bio if you choose a custom character including WHY they decided to fight for either the Union or the Confederacy.

Winning and Losing

One last note before we get on to the applications. Elections WILL take place every two years, and a Presidential Election will take place every four years (The Civil War does not have to end in a couple years as it did in real life). Morale matters because I, the admin, will be keeping track of your national morale, if morale falls too low, the party in power will lose the election. If the other party comes into power, you will lose the game. If you are the Union, you will give the South their independence, if you are the Confederacy, you will surrender to the North. There are three ways to lose and only two ways to win:

Ways to Lose

Political Defeat
(1) Morale is below 48 percent during a Congressional Election Year, and you lose the Legislative branch to the other party (however since the President is still in power, he would veto any peace proposal and so you are still safe . . . until the Presidential Election) If morale is still below 48 percent during a Presidential Election year, then the other party will win the Presidency, keep the legislature and will surrender to the other side.

(2) Morale is below 30 percent during a Congressional Election Year, you lose 2/3rds of the Legislative branch to the other party, they override the Presidential Veto and will surrender to the other side.

Military Defeat
Your Capital is seized by the Enemy and your President and Vice President imprisoned. (This requires the enemy to possess both your primary and Secondary Capitals (For the Union the Secondary Capital shall be New York City, and for the South the Secondary Capital shall be Montgomery).

Ways to Win

Political Victory
Crush the morale of your enemy and force them to surrender.

Military Victory
Take both your enemies Primary and Secondary Capitals forcing them to surrender.

Applications

General's List: http://www.historynet.com/civil-war-generals

NOTE: If you choose McClellan you WILL run for President, your goal is to the win the election, you can choose to make strategic "errors" to help bring morale down and to get yourself elected, but make it obvious and you will be discredited and you will lose your position, morale will rise. It is the job of the other generals to try and discredit you to insure that you do not get into power. If they can do that the Presidency will be safe until the next election, no matter how low morale may be.

NOTE 2: Since it would be rather unfair to have the voting and "McClellan Mechanic" for only the Union, I've decided to have a similar mechanic for the South as well. In this RP we shall say that the South's provisional Constitution including legislative elections every two years and Presidential elections every four years. If you choose to play as General Robert E. Lee you will have the same rules apply to you as McClellan. I am open to changing the "Southern McClellan Mechanic" from Lee to another Southern General BEFORE the IC thread is started. If you have an idea for a general that would be a better fit please send me a TG.

Application for the position of a General:
NOTE: Generals have the power to commission buildings, order a FEW battalions to be drafted, etc. etc. but all of these actions MUST be approved of by the President. Since the President supports anything that will support the war effort, consider your request to be de facto approved.
Code: Select all
[b]General's Application[/b]
[b]NS Nation Name[/b]:
[b]General's Name[/b]:
[b]Side[/b]:
[i][size=1]Fill these areas for the benefit of those who may not know much about the general and do not want to read the whole wikipedia article[/size][/i]
[b]Age[/b]:
[b]Bio[/b]:
[b]Reasons for fighting for their Side[/b]:
[b]Credentials[/b]:
[b]Military Honors[/b]:

Application for the position of a Soldier:
NOTE: You can hold no rank higher than a Colonel
[b]Soldier's Application[/b]
[b]NS Nation Name[/b]:
[b]Soldier's Name[/b]:
[b]Side[/b]:
[b]Age[/b]:
[b]Bio[/b]:
[b]Credentials[/b]:
[b]Military Honors[/b]:
[b]Rank:[/b]

Application for the position of an Agent
NOTE: Intelligence gathered from agents was absolutely horrible and false, so take this into account when you're RPing
[b]Agent's Application[/b]
[b]NS Nation Name[/b]:
[b]Agent's Name[/b]:
[b]Side (Union Pinkerton Agency or CSA BOSS)[/b]:
[b]Age[/b]:
[b]Bio[/b]:
[b]Credentials (How experienced are you in intelligence gathering)[/b]:
[b]Agency Honors[/b]:
[b]Rank (Operative only for now):[/b]

Current Positions
The Union
Generals
The Orson Empire (George B. McClellan)
Lolloh (George G. Meade)
Neo-Assyrian Empire (Ulysses S. Grant)
Finium (Winfield Scott)
Tuva SSR (William T. Sherman)

Soldiers
Land of Minecraft (Maxwell Rowan)
Veroxia (Thomas Borwa)
Olthenia (Patrick Reynolds)
Tribenicha (William Bishop)
Fenson (John Waldon)
Novicius Imperium Romanum (Benjamin Johnson)

The Confederacy
Generals
Marsisian (General P.G.T. Beauregard)
Paketo (Daniel Harvey Hill)
Kannap (Braxton Bragg)
Confederate States 0f America (Raphael Semmes)
Republic of Vietnam (A.H. Hill)

Soldiers
Charles B. Huckstep (Prevnina)
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Clovis (Neros)
Joshua Conwall (Stomalia)
Gage Cole (KASSRD)
Daniel Fortier (Aquatur)
William Johnson (Novicius Imperium Romanum)
John Granger (Zeinbrad)
Johnnie Boyson (Tribea)

Link to IC: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=292948

I am open to adding more soldiers but I'm cautious about adding more Generals. If we get enough people then we will start the IC thread.

Last edited by Marsisian on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 35 times in total.
Last edited by Erich von Manstein on June 9, 1973, edited 24 times in total

MGSV: The Phantom Pain hype! Game of the decade!

Veroxia
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Veroxia » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:48 pm

Cool concept, count me in.
FT NATION:The Korosian Robotic Empire
HEAD OF STATE/GOVERNMENT:Emperor X-5
IDEOLOGY:FASCISM
/PRO-HUMAN/PRO-SYNTH/
/ANTI-ORGANIC/ANTI-TECHNOPHOBIA/

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:49 pm

I remember this RP.

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Marsisian » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:51 pm

Orson, can you help me in TGing all the former members of the first RP and see if they're interested in the reboot?

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:52 pm

Marsisian wrote:Orson, can you help me in TGing all the former members of the first RP and see if they're interested in the reboot?

You want me to TG all of them?

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Marsisian » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:53 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Marsisian wrote:Orson, can you help me in TGing all the former members of the first RP and see if they're interested in the reboot?

You want me to TG all of them?

Yep.

Paketo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Paketo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:55 pm

General's Application
NS Nation Name: paketo
General's Name: Daniel Harvey (D. H.) Hill
Side: Confederacy
Fill these areas for the benefit of those who may not know much about the general and do not want to read the whole wikipedia article
Bio: type D. H. Hill into google, click wiki link, automatic bio
Reasons for fighting for their Side: North Carolina is with the Confederacy and to defend his family
Credentials:west point, superintendent of the North Carolina Military Institute of Charlotte and fought in Mexican american war
Military Honors: made captain in Mexican american war, colonel of the 1st North Carolina Infantry

Note: if anyone applies as Stonewall Jackson, we are brother in laws
Last edited by Paketo on Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a Pinarchist, sue me North Carolina is best Carolina States rights is best rights
Emilio Aguinaldo wrote:
Paketo wrote:
Oh god, the universe will explode, everyone to your bunkers

Yep, this is the type of "discussion" we have over here. Serious people beware, this place is filled with these things.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:56 pm

Marsisian wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:You want me to TG all of them?

Yep.

Can't we just advertise this thread or something? There are a lot of former members.

Also, here is my app. I will be playing as McClellan again.

NS Nation Name: The Orson Empire
General's Name: George B. McClellan
Side: Union
Fill these areas for the benefit of those who may not know much about the general and do not want to read the whole wikipedia article
Bio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_McClellan (See "Early Life and Career")
Reasons for fighting for their Side: Refused to accept the concept of secession
Credentials: Graduated from West Point in 1846, second in his class, and was commissioned a brevet second lieutenant in the Army Corps of Engineers. He then fought in the Mexican-American War.
Military Honors:
Last edited by The Orson Empire on Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Marsisian » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:57 pm

Paketo wrote:General's Application
NS Nation Name: paketo
General's Name: Danial Harvey (D. H.) Hill
Bio: type D. H. Hill into google, click wiki link, automatic bio
Reasons for fighting for their Side: North Carolina is with the Confederacy and to defend his family
Credentials:west point, superintendent of the North Carolina Military Institute of Charlotte and fought in Mexican american war
Military Honors: made captain in Mexican american war, colonel of the 1st North Carolina Infantry

Note: if anyone applies as Stonewall Jackson, we are brother in laws

Accepted.

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Marsisian » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:57 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Marsisian wrote:Yep.

Can't we just advertise this thread or something? There are a lot of former members.

Bio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_McClellan (See "Early Life and Career")
Credentials: Graduated from West Point in 1846, second in his class, and was commissioned a brevet second lieutenant in the Army Corps of Engineers. He then fought in the Mexican-American War.
Military Honors:

I'll put this thread on the PT2M Ad thread. Accepted.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:03 pm

Marsisian wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:Can't we just advertise this thread or something? There are a lot of former members.

Military Honors:

I'll put this thread on the PT2M Ad thread. Accepted.

Good.

If we advertise this, then we could potentially get even more members and become a popular RP.
Last edited by The Orson Empire on Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paketo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Paketo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:05 pm

this time DH hill will be put to his full potential and keep favor with Davis. no arguing with Lee like in RL
I'm a Pinarchist, sue me North Carolina is best Carolina States rights is best rights
Emilio Aguinaldo wrote:
Paketo wrote:

Yep, this is the type of "discussion" we have over here. Serious people beware, this place is filled with these things.

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Marsisian » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:06 pm

Do you want me to make strategy threads for the RP?

Paketo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Paketo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:09 pm

Marsisian wrote:Do you want me to make strategy threads for the RP?

yes
Emilio Aguinaldo wrote:
Paketo wrote:

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Marsisian » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:10 pm

Paketo wrote:
Marsisian wrote:Do you want me to make strategy threads for the RP?

yes

Okay.

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Marsisian » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:15 pm

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:17 pm

Marsisian wrote:
Paketo wrote:
yes

Okay.

Can you please add a list of rules to the opening post?

And if you are going to make these strategy threads, please make a rule about metagaming.
Last edited by The Orson Empire on Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Marsisian » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:18 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Marsisian wrote:Okay.

Can you please add a list of rules to the opening post?

And if you are going to make these strategy threads, please make a rule about metagaming.

Ah, all right.

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Marsisian » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:26 pm

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=292941

CSA Strategy thread is up.

Paketo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Paketo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:34 pm

Mars, what is the date? if it is late enough then southern Arizona and New mexico should be added to confederacy
Emilio Aguinaldo wrote:
Paketo wrote:

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Marsisian » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:34 pm

Paketo wrote:Mars, what is the date? if it is late enough then southern Arizona and New mexico should be added to confederacy

A month after the war started.

Paketo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Paketo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:34 pm

Marsisian wrote:
Paketo wrote:Mars, what is the date? if it is late enough then southern Arizona and New mexico should be added to confederacy

A month after the war started.

a month after Sumter then
Emilio Aguinaldo wrote:
Paketo wrote:

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Marsisian » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:35 pm

Paketo wrote:
Marsisian wrote:A month after the war started.

a month after Sumter then

Yep.

Kannap
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 07, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kannap » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:36 pm

General's Application
NS Nation Name: Kannap
General's Name: Braxton Bragg
Bio: Braxton Bragg is one of six sons to Thomas and Margaret Crosland Bragg. He attended the United States Military Academy and was commissioned second lieutenant in the 3rd US Artillery. He served in the Second Seminole War and the Mexico-American War where he was known as man of strict discipline.

He was so thorough that as a quartermaster, he submitted a request for supplies for his men to the quartermaster. As he was the quartermaster, he replied refusing the request. The request went back and forth until Bragg referred it to the post commander. The post commander exclaimed “My God, Mr. Bragg, you have quarreled with every officer in the army, and now you’re quarreling with yourself!”

Reasons for fighting for their Side: Before the war, Bragg was a colonel in the Louisiana Militia. In December 1860, Governor Moore appointed Bragg to the state military board, which was charged to create a 5,000 man strong army. Bragg took the assignment despite opposing secession. In January 1861, Bragg led a group of 500 volunteers to Baton Rouge to persuade the commander of the federal arsenal there to surrender. The state convention on secession also established a state army and Moore appointed Bragg as its commander, with the rank of major general.

Bragg fights for the independence of his birth state, North Carolina, and his employer state, Louisiana.
Credentials: United States Military Academy; Fought in the Second Seminole War; Fought in the Mexican-American War
Military Honors: Promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in the Mexican-American War
Luna Amore wrote:Please remember to attend the ritualistic burning of Kannap for heresy
T H E M O U N T A I N S A R E C A L L I N G A N D I M U S T G O
G A Y S I N C E 1 9 9 7
.::The List of National Sports::.
27 years old, gay demisexual, they/them agnostic, North Carolinian. Pumpkin Spice everything.
TET's resident red panda
Red Panda Network
Jill Stein 2024

Marsisian
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Marsisian » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:37 pm

Accepted.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse