NATION

PASSWORD

Civilization - An Epic Tale - IRON AGE IC

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Civilization - An Epic Tale - IRON AGE IC

Postby Transoxthraxia » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:00 pm

"Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold." - Mark Twain

Humanity. The first humans started to exist in 200,000 B.C.E in the Horn of Africa, before rapidly spreading throughout the rest of the world. Despite this, however, It took them 165,000 years to truly become ready for civilization. The Neolithic Revolution, which revolutionized the ways in which Homo Sapiens acquired food allowed for the first villages and towns to be created, but it would not be about 1,000 years after this in which these towns and villages began to band together and create the first Civilizations. It is the dawn of time, where civilizations will be founded, rise, fall, fracture, and die. In the lands of the Middle East and the Mediterranean, the towns and cities that formed upon rivers begin to rise to prominence under their first politically advanced leaders, and it is now, in the twilight of prehistory, in which this RP is set.

So, if you could not tell, this is a Civilization RP. What entails in this is an RP in which players will be able to found and control their own civilizations, which will continue to grow, develop, and flourish as time progresses. Of course, for those of you who know me, I'm not exactly known for recycling ideas. This will not be like many of the other civilization RPs out there for a number of reasons, mostly for what I find wrong with them, how I want to fix them, and how I think that it will provide for a more fair and immersive civilization experience. All of this will be detailed below. The RP will take place beginning in 3,500 B.C.E, just prior to the founding of the founding of the first historically recorded civilization, and end in 1991. I might extend the timeline depending on the popularity of the RP, but that will be a long time coming.

Gameplay concepts:
(Note: For those of you who participated in my previous RP of a similar subject matter, "On a Subject of Birth", some of this may be familiar.)

This is an obvious, important part of these RPs. Obviously, certain time periods had many more things happen in them than others, i.e Modern Age vs. Bronze Age, and therefore the Modern Age would have fewer years per "turn" than the Bronze Age. The timeline is as follows:

Bronze Age: 3500 B.C.E > 1200 B.C.E - 200 years per turn.
Iron Age: 1200 B.C.E > 600 B.C.E - 100 years per turn.
Early Antiquity: 600 B.C.E > 300 A.D - 100 years per turn.
Late Antiquity: 300 A.D > 700 A.D - 50 years per turn.
The Low Medieval Age: 700 A.D > 1200 A.D - 50 years per turn.
The High Medieval Age (Duuuude...): 1200 A.D > 1500 A.D - 50 years per turn.
The Age of Discovery: 1500 A.D > 1700 A.D - 25 years per turn.
The Enlightenment Age: 1700 A.D > 1825 A.D - 20 years per turn.
The Industrial Age: 1825 A.D > 1925 A.D - 10 years per turn.
The Modern Age: 1925 A.D > 1955 A.D - 2 years per turn.
The Atomic Age: 1955 A.D > 1991 A.D - 2 years per turn.

The way that time progresses in this RP is analogous to real life - There is a reason why I'm starting it during a period of time in which many of is have quite a bit of spare time - Because this RP will go by RL days. For example, every twenty four hours, two hundred years pass by in the Bronze Age. In the same way, every twenty four hours, one hundred years would pass in the Iron Age. It is up to you as the player to keep up with these dates - it really isn't that demanding. It will be tracked by EST, and if you miss your post in the 24 hour window, it is assumed that you did nothing during that time period.

Within RPs such as these, the question of what to do with events that happened historically that are outside the sphere of influence of the players of said RP always is a point of contention. Take, for example, the rise of the Huns in the fifth century A.D. There is little any player could do to stop Attila rising to the throne within the Huns and going on a conquering spree, directly causing the Migration period. In Civilization - An Epic Tale, certain historical events judged by the OP and approved by the Co-Op will occur, and will usually affect most players. Things like the arrival of the various waves of Steppe People into Europe, starting with the Sarmatians, and ending with the Mongols, the Great Plagues (i.e, the many different waves of the Black Death), etcetera will all effect the players in various ways.

However, certain historical events, say, the rise of Alexander the Great, would not necessarily happen, because he is the product of Macedonia, a subset of the Greek Civilization. If a player controlled Macedonia at the historical point in time in which Alexander would rise, it would not occur.

Random events.
Fairly obvious, but let me go into a little detail. This mechanic will be a mechanic employed at the beginning of each IC "day", or whenever the OP starts, in this case, at 12:00 AM EST every day. Out of these random events, some will be not-so-random, for instance, the rebellion of a culture in a conquered province, or a civil war, pretender, etcetera. Some of them, however will be completely random, such as the outbreak of a plague, or a restless people invading into an area that would provide the player with a challenge and fierce barbarians to combat, other than the historical invasions.

There is often debate over how accurate Eurocentrism is, especially in the early days of civilization. In fact, there is very good evidence and it is widely accepted that, until the Christian Reformation started by Martin Luther in the sixteenth century, China dwarfed Europe in technology. Despite this, however, this RP will be highly Eurocentric, while not necessarily through the same means as it did historically, Europe will end up as the dominant continent at the end of the RP.

One may ask, "But why? I wanted to play as a North American Civilization who can build really architecturally advanced clock towers in the middle of the Bronze Age!" Well, no. This Rp is Eurocentric for a few reasons, and mostly for gameplay reasons, rather than any historical outlook reasons. The only locations in which a civilization may begin, depending on the age, up until the Medieval Age (So, Bronze, Iron, Early Antiquity, Late Antiquity, Migration Period.), will be exclusive to Europe, and only the Mediterranean/Middle East until Late Antiquity. This is mostly to provide empires with provincial or territorial contention, and to encourage conflicts over territory, something I often find lacking within these RPs.

The evidence that those who lead a nation played a large part in shaping the history of the nation is no doubt a truth, especially so in Ancient times. Each player will start with a customized leader that will be assigned statistics of their choice. However, once that leader dies (By determination by OP), his son (If there is no qualified son, either a daughter, a cousin, or a high ranking noble would suffice.) will take over, and have randomly determined stats ranging from 1-6 in three categories, Military, Administrative, and Diplomatic.

The Military category is employed when a civilization is at war or battles another civilization. If higher, it will allow the leader greater leeway in the battle, with a higher chance of him winning, or, if losing, minimal casualties. It also assists in the putting down of revolts and the lessening the risk of civil wars. The lower the score, the opposite.

The Administrative category is employed in places like the running of the country and the assimilation of others into your culture and/or your religion. A higher administrative rating means that the nation will be more successful in conquering and pacifying neighbouring provinces, as well as having a higher income rate and a larger degree of freedom from revolts. The lower the score, the opposite.

The Diplomatic category determines how successful one is in international and internal diplomacy. A higher rating lowers the chances of a civil war, makes the people happier, and increases overall stability, while externally it will be easier to please others and be more successful in forming alliances in the future. The lower the score, the opposite.

Another thing that irks me in Civilization RPs is that no one ever faces collapse or failure on a grand scale, despite the fact that this was common throughout history, and most empires did, at one point or another, face said collapse, dating all the way back to Babylon, and going through all the Egypts, the Hittites, The Achaemenids, the Alexandrian Kingdoms, Rome, The Holy Roman Empire, Spain, France, the list goes on. And that's only Europe.

In this RP, there is no guarantee of survival. Unless, of course, you win it through blood and marriage. While this is all part of the historical accuracy of the RP, I do understand how it could be frustrating if you do end up losing. Thusly, I will allow those who have lost thier civilization to the sands of time to reapply, myself included.

The mechanics of said failure are fairly simple - for every predetermined period of time in each respective stage of the RP, Bronze Age to the Modern Age, (The period of time will change per stage of history, of course.) civilizations will experience what I call Decay and Deprivation. In essence, this means that your civilization is stagnating and becoming decadent. D&D will be reduced by a number of means - having a brilliant ruler (2 categories of 5+), certain combinations of policies, or certain technologies that could be researched. If none of these are employed to combat D&D, its cumulative effect will begin to cripple empires in the form of rebellions, civil wars, reduced rates of income, tech research, combat ability, and happiness, all of which are valuable to your continuation as a civilization. Eventually, if one goes through five stages of D&D without being able to reverse it, (If you reverse one, it will go back to zero. But if you have stage two D&D and reverse it, it will only go back to one - You can only reverse D&D once per ruler.) their civilization will collapse into different warring states, signalling the end to their civilization. Think of the Huns after the death of Attila - The Sabirs, Utigurs, and Kutrigurs who were all individually conquered. However, if a civilization adopts an organized religion, it would mean that they lose one stage of D&D, as the moral code would help bring the broken nation together, stronger than before.

On a related note - another thing that I find wrong with many Civilization RPs is the RoE - Rate of Expansion. Often in the Bronze or Iron Age people will hold empires that are geographically larger than Rome without any penalties - People often seem to forget that, despite the size of the Roman Empire, and how rapidly it rose, Rome faced rebellions and civil wars as if they were daily occurrences. Thusly, there will be a cap on the amount of provinces that one can hold based on their government type and technology. Furthermore - The amount of province acquisition will change with the ages - In the Bronze Age, each civilization will only be able to acquire one province at a time. Starting in Early Antiquity, it will change to two, then in Late Antiquity, Three, and so on.

On the subject of Rome and provinces - There is no doubt that primitive administrations can only manage so much land - We're not Russia here, nor Canada, nor the modern United States. Revisiting Rome - Lets remember that even under its greatest Emperors faced crippling overextension. There was a reason that the empire fell. Overextension is a concept in which a nation or civilization owns too much land for its primitive administration to manage it properly. Just as it existed in real life, it so too does exist in this Civilization RP.

The way overextension will work is simple - You may only have a certain number of provinces that are based on your government type and whatever stage it is in the RP. For example, you may only have ten provinces starting in the Bronze Age, but that would be upgraded to twelve in the Iron Age, twenty in Early Antiquity, and so on. Republics will initially have less of a provincial threshold, but will vary as time goes on, and will provide other benefits.

The penalty for being overextended is as simple as its calculation - It adds to your D&D, as mentioned above . The more overextended you are, the more it adds, not to mention the increased risk of civil wars and rebellion that will be added upon the already existing risk to ensure that your overextension is kept down by you, the player.

When one conquers a province, they often assume in these RPs that they simply gain the territory, no strings attached. This shouldn't be the case, because people often forget that the people within these territories that they conquer are their own people on the most part who want their own government that supports their own culture. So, from this point onwards, we should differentiate between conquered territory vs. what should be called "core" territory, which is territory in which your culture and your people are the primary population in.

Obviously, since we're all relatively small right now, this assimilation will take awhile, but that's what it's designed to do. In conquered territories, there will be an increased risk of rebellion, especially if you're overextended. Cultural assimilation will take time, but less so as eras or stages progress. So, right now, I will say that three RL days, or six hundred years, is required for a territory to be fully "assimilated" into your culture. Technologies will be put into teh tech tree, i.e "Cultural Meshing" (Think what the Romans did) that would speed the process up.

Starting in the Iron Age and going until Late Antiquity, if a nation receives a ruler with at least two level 5 stats, and the third stat being no lower than 4, the kingdom MAY get a random event which allows them to quadruple the amount of provinces that they are able to conquer in a a single turn. Rebellions are much more scarce, and the empire loses all the D&D it may or may not have accrued through the ages. This is called a Golden Age. In these ages, empires are designed to become large and powerful, but only to an extent. When the ruler dies, if his heir is not up to par, a single stage of D&D is added, rebellion chance is greatly increased, and civil wars become much more serious. Civil Wars, in this large state, may result in a general/pretender/other claimant actually rallying troops to his command, claiming a large swathe of your territory, and going to war with you until there is a victor. This rebel will be played by an OP or a Co-Op in the battles thread. If an empire is large enough, there may be the possibility that the state may fracture into more than one claimant, eventually fracturing entirely, leading to the controller of the country having to choose one of the factions that have come out of the fractured empire. To simulate the relative vulnerability of these kingdoms against foreign threats, as well as to put pressure on the player to reunite, the pretender factions will be able to be conquered by other players jsut as they were unoccupied provinces, but act as NPC-controleld factions to the player whose civilization they are associated with.

One thing that I've noticed in many Civilization RPs is the fact that people frequently make OOC plans and defensive pacts during the early ages which are meant to last all of eternity, which tends to promote solidarity and peace rather than conflict. Let me remind you that Bronze and Iron Age Europe lacked much of what we would consider "diplomacy". Sure, there were things like Client States, vassals, etcetera, and perhaps the occasional declaration of friendship between two or more civilizations. There were rarely, if ever, an alliance between two or more independent nations until Late Antiquity.

Therefore, let me reiterate, Defensive Alliances WILL NOT be able to be formed until the Late Antiquity. Coalitions, which are, in essence, Offensive Alliances, will be able to be formed in Early Antiquity. Past Late Antiquity, alliances will be able to be formed freely. However, this is not a license to form any UN-type thing, like I've experienced in the past, where basically civilizations divide up the map and live peacefully, happily ever after. That won't happen here. Until 1948, there will be no forming of any continental organization that does such a thing.

As much as it may frustrate some, there is no doubt that, until the Enlightenment, religion played an important part in the daily lives of people, from the nobility to the peasants. There is also, no doubt, however, that there is a clear distinction between the monotheistic and polytheistic religions that appeared in the world at different times, the first monotheistic religion appearing (debateably) in 1500 B.C.E. In this RP, every civilization MUST take a polytheistic religion when they sign-up, of their choice and design. As the game progresses, at points in time analogous to when real religions were founded, random civilizations will be given great prophets - not dissimilar to the ones in Civilization V: Gods and Kings. When this Great Prophet arrives, the leader of the civilization that he arrives in will have the choice of adopting the religion as the state religion, and getting to customize and tailor it to his own grand design (provided it doesn't resemble any RL religions), or casting it down.

Either way, the religion will spread rapidly through the populace of the civilization in which the Great Prophet was born, until rebellions or other events make it dangerous for the king to hold on to his monotheistic beliefs. While it makes little difference to be polytheistic or monotheistic in the beginning, starting in Late Antiquity, both Polytheists, who will become known as Pagans, and Monotheists will get bonuses, pagans gaining military bonuses and monotheists gaining tech bonuses. At this point, Monotheists will be able to send out missionaries into Pagan realms, which may get the ear of pagan rulers, who will have the option to convert or jail these prophets. In a similar fashion, pagan rulers may call missionaries to their capital to decide the future monotheistic religion of their country if they so desire. By the High Medieval Age, however, pagan bonuses will be invalid, and monotheists will gain both military and tech bonuses, and will be increasingly effective against pagans in war.

Finally, using the same probability calculator as the great prophet calculations, certain religions will get a Reformer, one who desires to separate from the current religion for whatever reason. These Reformers will appear in a nation which follows said religion, and will convert some subjects to their reformed religion, and rulers of said civilization will get the option to convert to the reformed religion, and will have a free reason to invade nations of the original faith.

Below are the dates in which Great Prophets will appear*:
1600 B.C.E - First Great Prophet - Analogous to Judaism
1100 B.C.E - Second Great Prophet - Analogous to Zoroastrianism
0 A.D - Third Great Prophet - Analogous to Christianity**
600 A.D - Fourth Great Prophet - Analogous to Islam
1100 A.D - First Reformer - Analogous to Hamza ibn-Ali ibn-Ahmad
1600 A.D - Second Reformer - Analogous to Protestantism

* - These civilizations will be selected randomly using a probability simulator.
** - I know Christianity was not founded in 0 A.D, but since we won't ever actually hit 33 A.D, it's a better option.

Below are the following modifiers for Pagans:
Late Antiquity: (300-700 A.D)
  • Combat bonus against non-pagans
  • Resistance to missionaries in your lands
  • Reduced technology spread
Low Medieval Age: (700-1200 A.D)
  • Combat bonus against non-pagans
  • Further reduced technology spread
High Medieval Age: (1200-1500 A.D)
  • More vulnerable to non-pagan invasions
  • Combat melus against non-pagans
  • Triple reduced technology spread

Below are the following modifiers for Monotheists:
Late Antiquity: (300-700 A.D)
  • Faster technology spread rate
  • Superior at conversion
Low Medieval Age: (700-1200 A.D)
  • Small combat bonus against pagans
  • Further enhanced technology spread
  • Missionaries even more effective
High Medieval Age: (1200-1500 A.D)
  • Combat bonus against pagans
  • Even more enhanced technology spread

There is no avoiding it. At one point or another, I will ensure that players will face off against each other at some point in their history. Combat will take place in a separate thread from the rest of the IC actions. When a battle is to start, the OP will dictate the terrain of the battle, and the two or more civilizations fighting will commence in their IC thread. Unlike the rest of the IC, however, these battles do not adhere to the 24-hour policy. Instead, the battles thread will be sort of timeless - the events around it will go on as normal until the battle is solved, the belligerent nations being unable to post otherwise until the battle is resolved. The battle will be decided by an unbiased mediator, usually either me or a Co-Op.

The last important thing that one needs to know about this RP are the strategic locations. Strategic locations are parts of the map that hold great value - Gibraltar, Constantinople, etcetera. Holding these strategic locations will mean that you will gain bonuses associated with said location, and these bonuses stack. It should be noted that civilizations cannot start in these locations, nor anywhere four provinces in any direction from a strategic location. Strategic locations are marked in red on the map.

Below is stated the Strategic Location bonuses:
  • One strategic location - Extended income(Better army), happiness(Slower accumulated D&D), and technology spread.
  • Two strategic locations - Along with compounded effects of above, more efficient trade.
  • Three or more strategic locations - Along with above, more efficient missionaries, double technology spread.

With that taken care of, hopefully everybody was proactive enough to read it thoroughly, and here is the application and map!

Map - Remember - only Mediterranean and Cradle of Civilization locations for now. Ignore NA, it still needs work.
Empty map - DO NOT use this for adding/claiming land. This map is for reference to strategic locations and locations of large cities. Credit to Steampunk Mars for doing the greyed-in city locations.
Tech tree - Bronze Age and Iron Age ONLY as of now.

REMEMBER! The daily year progression is 100/24 hours. Each "turn" in the tech tree will be considered a day. Decay and Deprivation will occur FOUR turns in this stage. Overextension will kick in at TWELVE or more provinces.

ALSO! Remember to keep track of your technologies, statistics, etc... So that we can know your nation and calculate probabilities of events occurring.

If you have any questions, TG me.

Code: Select all
[b][u]Nation Name[/b][/u]
[b]Number of Provinces:[/b]
[b]Technology Researching:[/b] (Name of Tech/Turns left)
[b]Technology Researched:[/b]
[list]
[/list]
[b]Current Leader:[/b]
[b]Actions this turn:[/b] (Conquered a province? Which one? Went to war with someone?)
[b]Decay and Deprivation Stage:[/b]
[b]Following religion:[/b] (If you follow a monotheistic one.
Last edited by Transoxthraxia on Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search for our better selves?
In Egypt's sandy silence, all alone,
Stands a gigantic Leg, which far off throws
The only shadow that the Desert knows:—
"I am great OZYMANDIAS," saith the stone,
"The King of Kings; this mighty City shows
"The wonders of my hand." The City's gone,
Nought but the Leg remaining to disclose
The site of this forgotten Babylon.

We wonder, and some Hunter may express
Wonder like ours, when thro' the wilderness
Where London stood, holding the Wolf in chace,
He meets some fragment huge, and stops to guess
What powerful but unrecorded race
Once dwelt in that annihilated place.
The Nuclear Fist wrote:Transoxthraxia confirmed for shit taste

Steampunk Mars
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Steampunk Mars » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:38 pm

Berezebel and upper Ziaba (Sava) river, 1300-1200BCE:

Utar-Zagusiddi surveyed his court from beneath the burnished copper and gold head mask that signified his position as God-King. The tribes around were primitive by comparison with the Berezites, and the rulers of Berezebel had used their organisational skill and mastery of metal-smelting to gain a sort of unofficial headship over their neighbours, exacting tribute from the other cities of the Iuma river valley and assimilating them into the greater Berezite culture.

The concentration of wealth represented by the greater organisation of the city of Berezebel had its consequences, however, and the city had become the target for every band of raiders in the area, necessitating the building of strong city-walls behind which the citizens, their animals and their stores of grain could be safe from attack. Wooden spears tipped with flint or copper, stone-headed war-clubs and leather slings were easy to make, and formed the chief weapons of both attackers and defenders, and combined with their walls, gave the Berezites an advantage.

This still did not help the survival of the grain in the fields, however, but most raiders were not interested in farming themselves, particularly in the challenging soils of the hills and the narrow strips of river floodplain. The system of defensive walls worked more often than not, and the area was relatively well supplied with metal ores, hence the local dominance of the city.

Now, however, a city on the periphery of Berezebel's sphere of influence had sworn allegiance to the city of Hozingar further north on the upper Ziaba river. The prestige of the God-King was in doubt. The entire system of Berezite local hegemony might unravel if this were not dealt with in no uncertain terms.
"I will march out against him!" King Utar-Zagusiddi declared solemnly. "I will place my foot upon the neck of Nersh-Atur king of Hozingar, and I will burn his gods in the fire!"
"So be it!" his priest intoned solemnly, and all the nobles prostrated themselves.

The Berezite nobles and their retainers marched out down the Iuma and then up the Ziaba against the northern city of Hozingar, meeting them in battle on the relatively fertile riverside. Thanks to their better organisation, greater numbers and combination of oval rawhide shields and long-hafted spears, the men of Berezebel prevailed, routing the army of Hozingar and forcing its king to submit to them. Henceforth, Hozingar would be subject to Berezebel.

Berezebel city:

In Berezebel itself, meanwhile, a metal-caster was preparing a clay mould unlike any other. A long, curve-bladed implement, Luqan hoped he could present it to some nobleman as a new, special weapon.
The mould was finally completed, and he poured the liquid bronze into it. But when it had cooled, the finished implement was warped, and the metal splayed out of the mould in a wafer-thin sheet around the seam. Not a problem when you were casting a pot, but for an edged weapon it was problematic. He tried some different things, but the clay mould just did not seem up to the task.
Perhaps some other material would work better. If he could carve the mould out of stone, for example...

Berezebel
No. Provinces: 3 (+ 1 this turn)
Tech Currently Researching: Bronze Military Applications (Turn 1 of 2)
Leader: Utar-Zagusiddi (M3-D2-A4)
Techs Researched:
  • Pottery
  • Alphabet
  • Animal Husbandry
  • Mining
  • Masonry
  • Bronze Working
Actions: Conquered province northwest as shown here and began assimilation process, began researching Bronze Military Applications (Turn 1 of 2)
D&D Stage: No D&D
Religion: Traditional Berezite polytheism
Last edited by Steampunk Mars on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The year is 1893 | Queen Victoria II | Overall Factbook | The Solar System | May Contain Nuts
There is life on Mars. Real-world astronomy can go jump.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:44 pm

The Isim, Iron Age, 1300 BCE- 1200 BCE
The Start of Outside Sea Travel

The Isimians are a protected and isolated seafaring people that live on Sicily for the longest time. Their idea of protection usually relies on not actually going to the outside world and try to keep to themselves for the fear of the many enemies that they might encounter in the outside world. Because of this fear, they have done little trade and love to be kept cut off from the outside world but they have also had a sort of rivalry with the powerful merchant country of Malta, which lies directly south of Isim. They had always tried to either do piracy or trade with Isim but they have never tried to do anymore interaction with them. This age was different though, as history shown that the Isim where growing more curious but it also faced more problems, they had started to have an overpopulation problem and their economy was starting to consume more then they can produce but they did not have the means to actually try and do an invasion or trade pact with Malta. Their military was not the best but they had an idea.

The current leader of the Isim was Daigus of Sigrud, he was a person who knew had to keep the Isim united but at the expanse of their military but they can ushered in their numbers of ships and trade with their own people being happy and prosperous in their ways but now they need a new type of military boat that can usher in a new age for them, but can still allow them to retain their isolated ways. It was a much larger version of their own boat named the Ovishu( Galley) this was their first large ship that had a pointed, bronze effigy of the Watcher of the Boats as it needed more sailors for the Isim forbid the act of slavery for it meant that they will bring foreigners in their people, but this was no different. These ships where large sailing boats that allowed them to easily start traveling from all over their land with less time and more cargo to haul then normal sailing ships that required rowers to beat at the sound of a drum.

These ships where first used as a military in a small amount when they had no choice but to declare war on Malta in 1150 BCE and they had lost more forces as Malta had more pirates on their side that where used to attacking trade ships from nations that the Isim have never heard of, but the most important mark was that their first use of the Ovishu was not as great as that what had thought as most of them where sunk but Malta was theirs after sustaining heavy casualties and even more valuable assets in the form of ground troops where being attacked as their forces where not experience as the defenders where, but they had numbers on their side. Though they where conquered, these forces still gave them trouble with their occupation and forcing them to comply to the Isim way of life. However, lessons where learned and they have another hurtle to get over before they can keep their isolation again and the Malta people will be considered

Isim
Number of Provinces: 4( 1 in process of assimilation)
Technology Researching: The Bireme1/1
Current Leader: Daigus of Sigrud
Actions this turn: Started making the first Biremes in the Isim's history and conquered Malta but suffered heavy casualties and now going under assimilation process(1/2)
Last edited by Ralnis on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Al Meajilia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Al Meajilia » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:57 pm

The smell of baking bread floated through the air as people wandered the bustling market place bartering and trading. "Beads and rosaries! Beads and rosaries!" "Dates, freshly harvested dates ripe from the farm!" are among many things that can be heard in the market. Rokhans stood at the gates of the grand temple wearing long blue robes and hoods nodding to each passerby saying "The gods love those who pray, blessed are them who take time from their day in thanks for their gods-granted wealth and security", as well as taking fees from the people who wish to enter to pray, worship, and leave tribute. Poets recited stanzas and comedic sonnets much to the entertainment of those crowding around them in the center of town and around alleys.

Clay buildings with roofs of palm leaves were a common site in the town, the second largest of the buildings was the Jabeikh's Palace in the northern end of town overlooking the sea nearby the port. The market place stood at the center of town and the Grand temple at the center of the market place, the largest building in town. Houses surrounded the area in a circular fashion and the path ways were organized. The rich lived next to the poor and the only difference between their houses was that the rich had larger houses.

Two thousand nine hundred and eighty two people lived in Zawbara', one thousand three hundred and twenty four women, one thousand two hundred and fifty six men, and four hundred and two children (below 13). In the summer months many men leave town on pearl hunting trips for two months before returning to town. Farmers left by dawn and came by dusk to and from their farms on other islands and in the country side. Merchants and traders travelled during the winter and during the Summer on distances from Nambiri in Mesopotamia to India and tiny villages in the Arabian Peninsula and the coast of the land west of the Peninsula(Iran).

The Jabeikh was ambitious, he was the fifth Jabeikh (Chief) of Zawbara' and the first to see it transform from a large village to small town. His name was Her'gal Bisri Ghashour. His clan was the largest of the ninety nine clans of the Zawbarite tribe consisting of fifty people, he has seven wives, twenty one sons and fourteen daughters. His heart was filled with ambitions of expansion and soon a year later he took an army of fife hundred, five men from each of the ninety nine clans as well as himself and four of his eldest sons and sailed from the town to the small desert peninsula nearby where possible heirs nominated by the elders go to leader their group of men and fight to the death to see who will be the new Jabeikh. Her'gal wanted this land, it was rich with copper and other minerals and was a strategic asset in further protecting the town of Zawbara'.

As Her'gal and his army landed on the beaches of the northern portions of the peninsula they hunted down a small Bedouin tribe in the area of two hundred and fifty fighters. The Commanders of both armies stepped in front to duel before the battle began, Her'gal and the Sheikh of the Bedouin tribe fought with a quick and decisive victory for Herg'al. This severely brought down the morale of the Bedouin tribe and they immediately surrendered after a minor battle in which the Bedouin archers took down three Zawbarite men while the Zawbarites retaliated and in the process fought and killed six of their men in which they lost one. The clan surrendered and the remaining Bedouin fighters swore allegiance to the Jabeikh of Zawbara'. Soon clan by clan fell from smallest and finally the largest clan of the small peninsula was brought down. As more of the clans fell more would come and swear allegiance without a fight, and the campaign lasted a little over eleven months before the Jabeikh became the undisputed ruler of the entire small desert peninsula and its forty three Bedouin clans.

A small settlement was constructed in the peninsula's mainland on the coast nearest to the Isles of Zawbara' east of a tiny peninsula extending to the isles on a small piece of land juttering out into a bay which the settlement borders. It was inhabited by two hundred and ninety nine men, three from each Zawbarite clan and two of the Jabeikh's sons. The settlement was named Khalnadu' by Her'gal. All of the settlers who were also the veterans of the campaign each took two Bedouin wives and the Jabeikh's two sons who settled each took two daughters from two tribal Bedouin sheikhs. All of Her'gal's sons took atleast two wives from the children or grandchildren of each tribal sheikh and the eldest of Her'gal's sons took three. The gods of the Bedouin clans were introduce to the Zawbarite pantheon bring the number of gods from one hundred and one or one hundred to one hundred and forty three or one hundred and forty two.

The Jabeikh witnessing the usefulness of the Bedouin archers wished to introduce a ranged element to his military and ordered the immediate addition of these weapons to his army. He ordered his new Bedouin subjects to teach the Zawbarites how to craft this weapon, Her'gal reign was remarkable and was the first major military expansion in the history of Zawbara'.

Map of the Isles of Zawbara' before campaign:

Nation Name Zawbara'
Number of Provinces: 1
Technology Researching: Archery (1/1)
Technology Researched:
    -Basic Sailing
    -Advanced Sailing
    -Pottery
    -Calendar
    -Organised Fishing
    -Animal Husbandry
Current Leader: Jabeikh (Prince) Her'gal Bisri (son of) Ghashour
Actions this turn: Conquered Qatari Peninsula, began to assimilate (1/3)
GENERATION 5: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:19 pm

Nambirithen, 1300-1200 BCE, The Elamite Wars

The period following the death of the man who became known as the prophet Zusra was a tumultuous one, one which lead to a reorganization of the Nambiri into a more effective form. A series of rebellions from both Zusraist zealots and Belzuist polytheists, both upset about the king's stance on religion, albeit for different reasons, while put down quickly lead to a reorganization of the government to better appease the masses. Gone were the days where only the heir apparent was taught how to run the convoluted administration established by the greedy kings of the past. The Belri nobles and the king were on a more equal footing, though of course the common citizen still had little influence in the government, as they had for thousands of years.

The first king, who's namesake father had crushed or appeased these rebellions prior to abdicating, after the reform was Insuzuabelura II, educated a soldier but a moderate administrator as well. A devout and outspoken Zusraite, he helped give the popular religion legitimacy among the higher classes of the Nambiri. Along ancient trade routes he sent missionaries everywhere from Persia to Zawbara', hoping to spread Zusraism far and wide. He died before he learned whether he had succeeded or failed.

Insuzuabelura also began a series of wars against the declining Elamites in south of the Persians, hoping to gain hegemon over the Persian Gulf and stop the Zawbara from controlling trade in the region, as well as hasten the spread of Zusraism, famously and apocryphally proclaiming "They are already ours" upon attacking them for the first time. Incursions into Elamite territory grew with each war, and they were pushed southeast. However, in the Fourth Elamite War, the Elamites routed the Nambiri and Insuzuabelura II was struck through the head with an arrow. He died soon afterwards, but his successor won the Fifth Elamite War, seizing all of the land for the Nambiri.

Merchants in the Zagros Mountains, having long coveted the secret of making bronze that the people near them knew of, finally gained it when they discovered a way to turn copper into by adding tin. This new metal was approved for trade by Isuzuabelura II, and gained use as a common tool for bartering. It was also used as decoration, but the idea for using it in war never occurred to the people of the region.

Nambiri
Number of Provinces: 5
Technology Researching: Bronze Working (Turn 1 of 1)
Technology(ies) Researched:

-Alphabet

-Archery

-Early Literature

-Mining

-Writing

Current Leader: Insuzuabelura II (4/2/3)
Actions this turn: Zusraism grows to become the dominant religion among the Nambiri, but polytheistic beliefs centered around Belzu either survive or heavily influence the new Zusraist religion during the process of conversion. Zusraist missionaries begin to travel to Zawbara, Persia and what was once Delacia in hopes of converting the populance. After conquering the northern part of the region a thousand years ago, the Elamites are once again invaded by the Nambiri, this time taking the province bordering Nambiri to the east, increasing their border with the Persians.
Regional Assimilation: The Akkadian people cease to exist as a culture separate from the Nambiri. The Elamites begin converting to Zusraism, sometimes under threat of force and sometimes due to genuinely being convinced that it is the path to salvation. Elamite children are taught to write using Nambiris script. (Assimilation, turn 1 of 3)
Last edited by Utceforp on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signatures are so 2014.

The Great Warrior Rivers
Minister

Founded: Jun 10, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Great Warrior Rivers » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:59 pm

The Kingdom of Aquilea, Iron Age, 1200 BCE- 1100 BCE

It was a hard life, being in this country, it was. The loosely knit states had been formed the Kingdom just a few weeks before. Now, it was all work from here on. New buildings and projects to work on. The whole thing was a project. Many persevered for awhile, then everything stopped. It was like time had stopped. All of a sudden, there were no more big construction jobs around the corner. No more heavy lifting, more down time. Many wanted a way to express their opinions, so the first scientists of the region came together and devised a plan. Perhaps if they had a way of showing people with their eyes....

Many people hoped for expansion, for new trade opportunity. So, with the area's renowned influence thus far, the Kingdom strived to go North, to the mountains that stood high over the lands.

Aquilea
Technology Researching: Alphabet(1)
Current Leader: Eugenius Fidelis (M2-D4-A3)
Actions this turn: Aquilea attempts to push north
Techs Researched:
Religion: Roanism
D&D: None
Last edited by The Great Warrior Rivers on Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Owner and Founder of the NationStates/Paradox Community (NSPXC) on Steam! Check it out!

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:32 am

~just in time~

tbd
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Granadeseret
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Granadeseret » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:57 pm

1300 B.C.E-1200 B.C.E: The Rise of the Chamheh Dynasty.

With the final fall of the Minoan Civilization, peace finally returned to Decanes, her control over the Aegean remaining strong; the city-states of the Ionians squabbling amongst themselves just as much as Nixis did in the past, with the Decans slipping in and spreading their economic power in the disorder. The League itself, with no other counterbalancing power from which to leverage rivaling influence, was finally brought back into heel after centuries of disorder, tribute-ships once again flowing to enrich Decanesil's coffers. All was right in the world, though word had reached the capital of a people further east, who were bumping up against the vague, grey area of Decan of Decanesil's unclear inland borders. Note was made of that, but unlike the shepherds and nomads who wandered the rest of the Mainland, these people seems civilized enough from the records of the merchents who braved the highlands to trade with them; they had stone buildings, farming, their won script and an organized government... or at least the appearances of those trappings. So, nothing was done except the erection of stout stone towers near important routes down from the highlands, to set up a primitive system of warning for the coastal villages. Safe paths up to their territories were secured, in hopes of attaching this civilization to the Decan trade network.

One of the more popular goods to be brought down were tools constructed of a strange material; bought for crops, fermented drink, and sailcloth on bullback. Unlike the stone, bone, and copper tools used by the Decans, this metal seemed much tougher and durable, not bending should it strike something the wrong way or tarnish. Samples of these tools were purchased by artisans in major ports, who studied it to see what, perhaps, if was. Eventually, after much trial and error, it was discovered that it was a mixture of two metals Decanesil already used in abundance; copper and tin. Different ratios were experimented with, until a functional formula was finally deduced; spread to metelworkers across the Kingdom, and quickly began to replace primative materials in tools, allowing for much more efficent mining,logging, and farming; the saved cost new tools even allowing particularly successful men a bit of excess goods for more trade with the highlands.

The beginning of this era was marked with the death of Vesin; his union with new wife ending tragically when a dark spirit seemed to have run through him, blackening his lowers half and eating away at him as if a divine punishment for wedding a former follower of the Minoan she-demons. His only child of the union, the young Princess Herra, was a beauty for her 8 years and of the blood of the ancients, but the laws laid down at the end of the Metheh dynasty, the ancient rules of the land, strictly held that a woman could not hold the leadership of the state. With the nobility at a lose for whom should marry her and take stewardship of the Kingdom, and the risk of a War of the Petals among the Decan nobility, the merchant-captain dynasties and the clericship of Heles struck a deal and made a proposal all the men could accept: those who sought to marry the princess would all be taken out on voyages of trade, each given 5 vases of olive oil. For a year they would sail, under the watchful eyes of the captains, trading amongest the sea for a gift of engagement. And so, as the cold season broke 8 ships set sail from the harbor, each carrying a scion of noble blood. In Decanes, the priests of Heles held rituals and prayers during each cycle of the dark disk, beseeching their god to protect them from harm and to guide the best leader to an object of prophesy. When they returned 13 cycles later, each had with them a treasure, which was brought before the priesthood and studied for signs of prophesy. The victor of the quest, the second son of the Chamheh line Myrn Chamheh, returned with a delicatly crafted flower of gold, and was gifted the hand of Herra in marriage. Thus began the third dynasty of Decanesil.

Myrn's rule was marked by the first move of the Decans on the "Other Mainland". Long-unsettled scores with the Madytus finally came to a boil as the city, seeking to establish control over the straits during the semi-crisis of succesion, began charging Decan merchent vessels a tax to pass through, still within sight of the docks of Troy. Outraged, the ships of the Trojan garrison stormed across the strait, boarding and seizing the Madytus taxing vessels. The Trojan Decans and the Madytus essentially fought a localized war outside of Decanes's awareness, the matter only coming to attention after Madytus had already been burned to the ground and her ships seized. Through somewhat reluctant, Myrn's first act as King was to recognize the conquests and to establish a misson of settlers from Decanes to settle and foritfy the other side of the strait, so none of this would happen again. However, his family having earned their land though trade and, his elder brother being trained in matters of word and sword for being the dynesty's heir, had himself been mostly trained in script and polotics as an advisor, found the planning and logistics of the project stimulating and right for his hand, the fact that most of the settlers for the new territory being proper Decanes citizens helping greatly with the integration process. The new settlement, Troy-Ohon (New Troy) was built atop the ruins of Madytus, her locals being sold into slavery to the Fikrits for the most part and the village receiving heavy fortification and investment on the part of Deanes. This was to insure the ability to defend the area from whomever lived in the wild and relatively unknown lands beyond

Nation Name Decanesil
Number of Provinces: 8 (6 Decan Culture)
Technology Researching: Bronze Working (1/1)
Technology Researched:
    Basic Sailing, Pottery, Mining, Masonry, Advanced Sailing, Alphabet, Calender, Writing, Animal Husbandry, Archary

Current Leader: Myrn Chamheh Mil. 2 Adm 5 Dip 2
Actions this turn: Conquered Gallipoli, Finished Assimilating East Crete, West Crete and Gallipoli both receive mass infusions of Decan culture due Decan-proper setlements on free soil (1/2 both)
Decay and Deprivation Stage: 0
Following religion: N/A

Photana
Senator

Founded: Jun 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Photana » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:57 pm

The History of Qartha 1300 BCE - 1200 BCE
Qartha entered the Iron Age a recovering power. It was still recovering from the plague that affected it so long ago, but the population was large enough that the herdsmen alone could not sustain the growing population, and the re-establishment of agriculture was still taking time to see results. All that was left open was the coast, and fishermen already waded out daily, but over the years coastal fishing stocks had declined considerably. The Qarthans solved their crisis of calories through the invention of the fishing cog, a small one passenger boat that allowed a fisherman to row out a few Cre (equavalent an American football field in length), to fish in the deeper waters and access more fish. These fishermen also meet huge gill-less fishes who breath through a hole in their head. These animals are quickly named Fialer, literally "hole fish" , and become something of a legend and good omen to the fishermen at sea, for the Fialer will assist the fishermen, if they are given a share of the catch. The result of the fishing boat being developed was a steady increase in population compared to earlier times, a greater general fascination with the sea from the Qartha, and with the increase in population, a greater belief in the Qarthans that they needed more coastal lands.

Tech: Basic Sailing (1/1)
Techs Research:
Archery
Animal Husbandry
Mining
Masonry
Bronze Working
Bronze Military Applications
Domestication of the Camel
Dynasty: Qarthids (3/3/3)
Actions: Research Basic Sailing, gather fish.
AH, PMT, some FT.

Your test scores indicate that you are an open-minded ultra-progressive; this is the political profile one might associate with a journalist. It appears that you are skeptical towards religion, and have a generally optimistic attitude towards humanity in general.
Your attitudes towards economics appear neither committedly capitalist nor socialist, and combined with your social attitudes this creates the picture of someone who would generally be described as a liberal.
To round out the picture you appear to be, political preference aside, a considerate idealistic egalitarian with many strong convictions.

Granadeseret
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Granadeseret » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:06 pm

1300- 1200 B.C.E: Early Iron Age

Random Events of this Age

- The Central Mediterranean suffers from a series of nasty storms, driving away fish and scuttling boats who dare to brave the high seas.

- The Berezite Monarch, for his intellect and piety, is gifted with a sign from Nersheg; a falling star from the heavens, baring upon it the face of a roaring lion. Truely, this is a sign from the gods that his people that he is destined for greatness. The Berezite Advance has begun! To represent the force of your leadership and divine province, the Berezites may conquer (Awe into submission mostly) up to 4 territories this turn, so long as they all touch one of his current provinces. Though, if his heir isen't up to snuff the formerly awed people may have something to say about it...

- A Regican princess has taken the fancy of Artemas, Warlord of the invading Dorian Greeks, and fled with him to his main warcamp on the Atican plains. If he is not stopped or the princess rescued, the Dorian Greeks will gain a claim on Regican lands and begin the Regican-Greek war cycle all over again.

- The Zawabara people, up first major contact with the mainland in a long time, begin to suffer from a virulent sickness on their mainland outposts. Any attempts to conquer further into this portion of the mainland run the risk of heavily infecting their homeland itself, and to do so will invite a plague next turn.

New Rulers for the Age

- Axartyai: Military 4 Diplomacy 3 Administrative 1
- Regica: Military 5 Diplomacy 3 Administrative 2
- Qartha: Military 5 Diplomacy 2 Administrative 3
-Decanesil: Military 5 Diplomacy 4 Administrative 3
-Nambiri: Military 1 Diplomacy 5 Administrative 5
-Aquilea: Military 3 Diplomacy 1 Administrative 4
- Zawbara: Military 4 Diplomacy 2 Administrative 5
- Berezebel: Military 2 Diplomacy 5 Administrative 5
- Isim : Military 4 Diplomacy 4 Administrative 4
- Caure: Military 1 Diplomacy 5 Administrative 3

-----------------

Goings on the Classical World

- Axartyi society begins to stagnant, the new laizze-faire cultural system encouraging the people to adopt deviant ways and loyalty to military commanders rather than King and state weakening national unity. Azartyai enters D&D STAGE ONE

-Pressure from Ionian and Aeolian Greeks fleeing into Regecian territory run the fabric of their civilization to its last tattered edge, bringing them into D&D STAGE THREE: their society on the brink of collapse.

- The first sailing ships appear on the coast of Africa at this time dveloped by the Qarthian civilization.

- Decanes-style settlements begin to appear on the European continent

- The Zusra Faith begins the process of expansion into lower Mesopotamia, driven partally by a Naberia animated by the spirit of the first "Holy War"

- The various Aquil-Speaking people united into the Kingdom of Aquilea, their sages developing an primitive script: the first recorded attempt to do so in the West.

- The Zawbara; emerging from their island, make their first settlements on the mainland, evicting the local Bedouins.

- The armies of Berezebel begin to march north, their early forays into metalworking giving them distinct advantage over the local tribes.

- The Isim people construct history's first record Bireme, using it to defeat the fabled Pirates of Malta and seize the island for their civilization.

- Caure peoples, despite an initially promising position, fail to take advantage of local opportunities. Due to the relative youth of their culture, however, they manage to bounce back without any lasting complacency. D&D waved due to confusion and this being your first turn, but be more careful in the future.

-

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:49 am

The Isim, 1200BCE-1100BCE

The Isim had an heir to their people that was considered to be blessed by the Watcher, he was named Quo of Malta, he was born from the ancestors of a pirate and a general that had been wedded during the War of Malta in 1250 BCE but he was considered a great thing for his people as they where still in a way fighting against the Isim as many battles where fought as the Isim where winning by employing more Ovishu but one was actually a lose to the Isiminan Navy because of a storm that messed with the Naval ships as they had most that where destroyed or lost as they where caught in by the storm and those that did made it had no choice but to retreat. The amount of ships that was lost was large as the lost from the storm and this must be recorded and now the Fir'it, the language and alphabet of the Isimians, was getting larger as the new names of places and boats where being named and constructed that needed to be recorded for the Naval fleets where that a writing system was being set up and soon this writing system was being used for naming of people and boats and thus is actually the first aspects of writing and history of the Isim.

The Isim during this time where still facing overpopulation and an economy that still ask for more then the common Isimian settlement can produce but it was compensated for trade with Malta, but Malta was small and despite it quickly becoming a trade capital and a center of naval production of the Isim, they have found a new island that they name Uull'grous( modern day Sardinia) and they have thought that it will be a good idea to take up a colony by taken over the local tribes.

The army was more superior then their old counterparts and this help as they had less casualties and they where able to establish settlements along the coast as finally their overpopulation was finally over for once and their economy was able to be stabilized for this factor was that the land had mountains and growing space for the Isimians to grow for they can finally be able to have peace and keep their people strong and safe, though their new colony now must deal with the constant battles with the native life from the island and the seas itself.

Isim
Number of Provinces: 5( 1 in process of assimilation)
Technology Researching: Writing 1/1
Current Leader: Quo of Malta( A 4/M 4/ D 4)
Actions this turn: Develop the first writing system of the Isimians, completely assimilated Malta and in process of assimilating a province in eastern Sardinia( complete assimilation 1/2)
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Steampunk Mars
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Steampunk Mars » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:22 am

Berezebel, 1200-1100BCE:

Luqan's name had been forgotten, but his work in casting bronze for military purposes had borne fruit that he could not have foreseen. From the first spearpoints and knives that he had cast, the metalworkers of the Berezites had progressed to true swords, helmets and now armour. Every nobleman had to have his sword, helmet and disc breastplate.

The typical Berezite sword was the Kitbash, a hook-bladed sickle-sword reminiscent of the Egyptian Khopesh, if it had come under the influence of the forward-curved Mycenaean Kopis. Useable as both sword and axe, it became the weapon of choice of the Berezite nobility.
Body armour in this early period was limited to simple round disc breastplates, occasionally duplicated as backplates. As the century and the next one progressed, more extensive forms of armour such as scale mail, greaves and cuirass would make their first appearances, but in those days even city-kings rarely had more than a breastpiece.
Shields were still made of wicker, wood or stiffened rawhide, but even here some few exceedingly powerful and wealthy city-kings began to sheath the outer surface of their shield in bronze. This made the oval shields quite heavy, but the hilly and wooded lands of Berezebel were a difficult terrain in which to employ the great figure-of-eight shields used elsewhere, and by and large the Berezites did not need and did not employ shieldbearers.
Helmets were more common among the nobility than body armour, as they were a highly-visible status symbol. Conical-type helms predominated at first, sometimes decorated with boar-tusk ivory or rare mother-of-pearl from the Iuma river. Gradually, the type of helm that would be known as "Berezite" began to take shape: conical, lower at the back than in front to better protect the neck, and in the final version bearing a sheet of bronze scales covering the back of the head from ear to ear.

With new bronze weapons and the beginnings of armour, the armies of Berezebel began to truly dominate the surrounding tribes. City-kingdom after city-kingdom to the west sent emissaries bearing tribute to Utar-Bazaduk the God-King: Liburu on the coast, Kishur, Nushkur... North-westward from Hozingar on the upper Ziaba river, where the river valley began to broaden out somewhat, lay the minor city of Zarqan. In the reign of Utar-Bazaduk, God-King of Berezebel, the city of Zarqan came under attack by fierce barbarian tribes from the north.

The king of Zarqan sent a messenger to Utar-Bazaduk, saying "From Bul-Shiddar, king of Zarqan, to Utar-Bazaduk, Divine King of Berezebel: O divine Great King, ruler of many cities! The barbarians are attacking my villages. See, even now they assail my walls, and I have nowhere to turn. Great King, if you will come down and save me with your sword of burnished bronze, then I will be your vassal and subject. See, here I pour out my pitiful treasury to you, o divine king. Come quickly and save me, I beseech you!"

God-King Utar-Bazaduk marched out to Zarqan at the head of his army. The nobles and highborn warriors marched in step, bronze swords and speartips gleaming in the sunlight. The nomadic tribal peoples of the area were unused to facing powerful kings with metal weaponry, and fled in terror at the sight of the bronze-armoured Berezite troops, their horned serpent standards' windsock tails streaming in the breeze. Utar-Bazaduk was later to erect a stela on which he had incribed the following, in Berezite hieroglyphs:
"In the ninth year of My reign the God Nershag sent a sign: an iron star falling from heaven, upon which was inscribed the sign of the Lion-God. The kings of the west came to pay Me tribute, and thus I conquered Liburu, Kishur and Nushkur. In the tenth year of My reign I marched out to Zarqan and smote the barbarian, who fled in terror from My star-iron kitbash."
Berezebel
No. Provinces: 4 (3* core) +4 this turn
Tech Currently Researching: Bronze Military Applications (Turn 2 of 2)
Leader: Utar-Bazaduk (M2-D5-A5)
Techs Researched:
  • Pottery
  • Alphabet
  • Animal Husbandry
  • Mining
  • Masonry
  • Bronze Working
Actions: Conquered provinces west as shown here and began assimilation process (1/2), continued assimilation process of Hozangar (2/3) completed researching Bronze Military Applications (Turn 2 of 2)
Decay and Deprivation Stage: No D&D
Following religion: Traditional Berezite polytheism

*I conquered my first province with an assimilation rate of 1/3. This turn I have an assimilation rate of 1/2. I presume my first territory is still not quite assimilated as a result of the cumulative assimilation, or should I treat it as fully assimilated by the end of this turn?

EDIT: link for conquered territories maplet
EDIT2: changed "inflicted heavy losses" to something more "awe the enemy", Military only being at a 2.
Last edited by Steampunk Mars on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The year is 1893 | Queen Victoria II | Overall Factbook | The Solar System | May Contain Nuts

Alore City
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Alore City » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:28 am

tag

The Great Warrior Rivers
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Great Warrior Rivers » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:24 am

Kingdom of Aquilea, 1200-1100BCE

Things were coming together quite nicely. With new script, many people looked towards more homely and traditional ways. Expansion was stalled, for many were happy with their current lands they tilled. But some things were not to be. For one, a large storm had passed through the Kingdom, and many coastal fishermen were forced to go inland to begin farming, as many of the fish had disappeared from the once lively waters that were the Adriatic. This made the people shiver in fear, for they knew that their gods were angry enough to destroy some of their greatest artifacts.

Many started to question their gods. Why should they worship angry, tyrannical gods? It simply made no sense to a majority of Aquileans. Dispute often started on this topic, usually public. As tensions rose, leader Acey Fidelis stepped in with the Kingdom's military to solve issues. At first, they attempted to help in the side of the Roanists, but as the fights became more rebellious in nature, they turned their attention to stopping the fights in general. The military wasn't soft about it either. People spoke of many former friends, now non-believers, chained, whipped, or killed.

After the large storm that killed all fish, many wanted a more efficient process of fleshing for sea animals. That was the Aquilean researchers' next job, to find a way to fish with extreme success. The current boats would start to sink after roughly 5 days and had no chance of surviving the storm itself. To make better ones, Aquileans thought, was a good idea indeed. (OOC: Do not take this as organized fishing; I haven't accomplished this yet.)

The Kingdom of Aquilea
Number of Provinces:3
Technology Researching:Advanced Sailing (1 turn if research counts as a turn.)
Technology Researched:Basic Sailing, Pottery, Animal Husbandry, Mining, Masonry, Bronze Working, Alphabet
    Current Leader: Acey Fidelis
    Actions this turn:Attempt to stabilize the Kingdom as a whole
    Decay and Deprivation Stage:None
    Following religion:Roanism

Owner and Founder of the NationStates/Paradox Community (NSPXC) on Steam! Check it out!

Transoxthraxia
    Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:21 pm

Despite the fact that the early period of the Zyrvanite kings was marked by stagnation and general decline, after a century of said decline, the kingdom once again picked up when Axartyaian culture spread into a northwest border province along the westernmost reaches of the Kingdom. After this, the cultural laissez-faire outlook of the nation was abandoned, and was treated as an equally important aspect of the Kingdom, along with warfare and wisdom. After the death of the first great Zyrvanite, or Zyrvanas, king, his son, Dirgudas Zyrvanas took the throne, and decided to found an early philosophical view of the Axartyaian culture, based on the three columns of the kingdom, Warfare, Wisdom, and Culture. This school of thought, while not at all mainstream as of now, would later become the basis for Axartyaian philosophical schools.

Despite this, however, the Zyrvanite period certainly is not known for it's peaceful development of its culture. Instead, despite the kings bringing back the spread and development of culture back under their wing, the Zyrvanites were focused on the expansion of the empire's borders. Starting with the king Dirgudas Zyrvanas, the kingdom began a rapidly expanding foreign policy which was, while initially focused westwards, would later turn to the east to conquer the rapidly declining Hittites. At this point in time, Iron was becoming more and more of a precious metal, and more and more efficient to produce for the Zyrvanite kings, and Dirgudas ordered the research into the more practical production of Iron, as the supplies of Copper and Tin were beginning to grow scarce among the Axartyaian lands, hoping that Iron would reap more of a benefit to be used. The metal, which was considered so precious as to be regarded over gold in the Axartyaian society, was beginning to get more common, however, due to more advanced smithing abilities and the ability to make the metal becoming much easier and simpler with the invention of more advanced smelting techniques.

Axartyai - Zyrvanite Kings
    Number of Provinces: 9.
    Technology Researching: Practical Iron Working (0/1)
    Technology Researched:
      Alphabet
      Writing
      Mining
      Masonry
      Bronze Working
      Bronze Military Applications
      Animal Husbandry
      Philosophy
      Archery
      The Wheel
    Current Leader: Dirgudas Zyrvanas (4/3/1)
    Actions this turn: Conquered the province to the northwest. (1/4)
    Decay and Deprivation Stage: Stage one. (8/9 Provinces of Axartyaian culture)
    Following religion: Axartyaian Pantheon - Pagan
    Last edited by Transoxthraxia on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search for our better selves?

Granadeseret
    Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Granadeseret » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:35 pm

1200 B.C.E- 1100 B.C.E: The First Fikrit Era

With Decanesil's control of the lower end of the straits solidified, the nation suddenly found itself in the basis of a new economic rivalry, similar to the one they had faced with the Minoans centuries earlier: this time,with the powerful cities of the Fikrits. The formation of Troy-Ohon allowed the Decanes the right to levee taxes on trading ships traveling between the Black Sea and Aegean markets, but when those tributes were added onto those the Fikrit already demanded for passing by their cities, the cost simply became too great for any individual ship to bare; the trickle of connections between the Black Sea basin and the Aegean basin grinding to a complete halt. The Chamheh Kings, however, did not deem this issue enough to go to war; the Fikrit's fortresses on the Straits were mighty indeed, and being able to deploy her navy in the narrow space would make creating a complete siege impossible. Even the great military minds of this era, documented for their fine capacity with the troops and anti-piracy campaigns, could not find any strategy that could crack this nut.

However, one of these Kings, the lord Islin Chamheh, theorized one way this could be done; by establishing a port and settlement on the opposite shore. He immortalized his idea in a primitive essay, with painted accompaniment by the minds of his court, something neigh-unthinkable to the minds of the sea-bound Decans; a campaign across land, to the make a settlement on the shore of the Northern Sea. To do so, he was credited with a rather interesting invention of the Decans; the so-called "Land Waves". He ordered a large number of trees to be cut down as his armies march northward, to clear out the natives in the regions north of Troy-Ohon, and with bronze hand tools the trunks of those trees ground down to a bare, roundish shape. Decan ships would be hoisted up from the wanters near Troy-Ohon, and hoisted onto these rounded logs; one crew of men pushing the ship forward on the surface while another team picked up the logs it had passed over and moved them to the front. It was a slow, tedious process; but, as luck would have it, a successful one. Islin's military troops manged to clear out the uncouth, barely settled people who's raids had constantly plauged the Fikrit (thereby adverting the wrath of those cities), to clear an area for Decan settlement and a path for Decan ships to cross the land. A fleet of Decan vessels was seen to have moved through the tall grasses and trees as though it were water, awing the locals and allowing the Decan settlers the ability to easily carry supplies across the land. On the shores of the Northern Sea, Decanesil established the port of Mlinx, built mainly as a station for trade and a naval base. It was discovered during the march that the "Land Waves" system Islin had conceived actually created a way for heavy or bulky cargos to be transported overland, though it was very labor-intensive. The basic idea, however, lead to a new class of merchants who traveled overland, these men looking for ways to make longer-lasting, convenient "Land Waves" for personal use.

Nation Name Decanesil
    Number of Provinces: 9 (6 Decan)
    Technology Researching: The Wheel (1/2)
    Technology Researched:
      Basic Sailing, Pottery, Mining, Masonry, Advanced Sailing, Alphabet, Calendar, Animal Husbandry, Writing, Archery, Bronze Working
    Current Leader: Islin Chamheh Mil 5 Adm 3 Dip 4
    Actions this turn: Conquered provinces north of Gallipoli, Local cultures of Gallipoli and West Crete almost faded away, with only a few noticable local traditions withstanding the changes occuring (10/12th done both). Mlinx Region begins to see Decan settlement and culture (1/3).

Photana
    Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Photana » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:11 pm

The History of Qartha, 1200 BCE- 1100 BCE
    With the seas becoming more storm wracked, the Qarthan farmer class being reestablished, and the Qarthan population expansion continuing, the Qarthan peoples needed one thing more than anything else- Land. Earlier forays into the more southern lands had been defeated, but with a new dynasty, came new leaders. The Namtha dynasty would allow the Qarthans to fulfill their wish for expansion. The Namthas, lead by Namtha Idd, the first Namtha king, began their campaign into the southern coast cities in 1150 BCE, after 50 years of biding time and training their troops, many of whom were green soldiers looking for gele (land), girls, and glory. All of these were promised by the Namtha Idd, who was able to marshal a force of 2,500 men to march to the south.

When they first arrived in the area, camel-mounted Berber scouts saw two inventions that the Qarthans did not have, first they saw the chariots of the southern men, something unheard of in Qartha. Chariots were an unknown to the Qarthans, who simply used their camels to carry men and supplies. They noted these strange inventions, and returned to camp with the information, written down in picture format. Namatha Idd heard the scouts' report and sent the drawing back home, to see if the Qarthan masons could come up with something similar to the round object that allowed the chariot to roll. The discovery of the enemy's chariots did not change the war plans, however, and the Qarthan force marched on the first city of the southern coast, Asarpor, and laid siege to the city by surrounding it's walls, counting on the rough waves and weather to keep the port closed to grain shipments.

A month later, the Asarpori leaders left the city, and traveled through the camp of Qarthan soldiers, and arrived at the King's tent, requesting a private audience with Namatha Idd. He allowed this, and the group of men were let into his tent. They discussed the terms of Asarpori surrender, and after a few hours the Asarpori delegation agreed to surrender the city, on the condition that they would be loyal subjects to the Qarthan Crown. Namatha lifted the siege of the city, and went to the next city of the coast, Murun.

Murun was a much different story than Asarpor. Murun possessed no walls, but instead had a large army of 1,000 men. The armies of Qartha and Murun met on the field of battle right outside Murun. Namatha noticed while preparing his troops for battle that they chariots were easily surrounded and destroyed when they charged. He arranged his troops in squares, and neutralized the chariots corps when they charged. After the chariots fell, and the remainder retreated, Namatha allowed his troops to rape and pillage Murun for the next week, leaving the city with a wall of men alone a ruin, and ended his campaign, allowing his troops and their new wives to return to Qartha. He, however, remained in Asarpor, to meet his wife, another thing that he was promised from the Asapori. They were wed within a fortnight, and she bore two children for him, both girls.

These two girls would grow to be powerful queens, something the Qarthan launguage had no name for, so they were called kings still, but the with the word losing it's only male definition. These queens and their progeny continued the legacy of their father, conquering the southern coast, and supporting the development of a new invention, the wheel.

Research: The Wheel (1/2)
    Current Dynasty: Namthas (5/2/3)
    Actions: Conquer the coastal province to the south of my land, begin assimilation (1/3)
    Province #: 5 (4 Qarthan)
    AH, PMT, some FT.

Your test scores indicate that you are an open-minded ultra-progressive; this is the political profile one might associate with a journalist. It appears that you are skeptical towards religion, and have a generally optimistic attitude towards humanity in general.
    Your attitudes towards economics appear neither committedly capitalist nor socialist, and combined with your social attitudes this creates the picture of someone who would generally be described as a liberal.
    To round out the picture you appear to be, political preference aside, a considerate idealistic egalitarian with many strong convictions.

Transoxthraxia
    Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:08 pm

1200- 1100 B.C.E: Early Iron Age

Random Events of this Age

- Proto-Persians overwhelm the Elamites, assimilating the rest of them.

- The Berezite Kingdom, despite their earlier conquest, now faces widespread unrest due to the fact that they've expanded rapidly. Open rebellions occur in the northernmost province against Berezite rule.

- The Isim Kingdom faces a large revolt from the natives in Malta; at the same time, they're faced with a relatively large pirate problem, mostly originating from Sardinia and Corsica. These pirates and this uprising must be quelled, which disallows conquering for one turn, and will contribute to higher revolt risks if not dealt with.

- Decanesil is faced with a large Thracian invasion of their northernmost province, in response to their transgression into Thracian lands. Thracian tribals now occupy the northernmost Decan province, and will have to be dealt with in a similar way to the Isim pirates.

- In the lands of the Decans, a strange thing occurred. A man has emerged out of the myrth of space and time, with little history of his own. An enigma, this man claims to be a great prophet, here to push reckoning amongst the peopls of Decanesil and the world.

New Rulers for the Age

- Axartyai: Military 1 Diplomacy 3 Administrative 1
    - Qartha: Military 3 Diplomacy 4 Administrative 4
    -Decanesil: Military 2 Diplomacy 2 Administrative 2
    -Nambiri: Military 2 Diplomacy 3 Administrative 3
    -Aquilea: Military 2 Diplomacy 4 Administrative 3
    - Zawbara: Military 3 Diplomacy 3 Administrative 2
    - Berezebel: Military 2 Diplomacy 3 Administrative 5
    - Isim : Military 5 Diplomacy 2 Administrative 3
    - Caure: Military 4 Diplomacy 2 Administrative 4

-----------------

Goings on the Classical World

- Axartyi society expands to the northwest, and begins to interact with their mysterious neighbours to the west.

- Regican society collapses into anarchy, meaning the Peloponnese is now vacant of any true organized civilization.

- Qartha begins a period of dual rule by two queens; the first seen anywhere in the world.

- Local settlements of Thracians protest, raid, and burn the Decan settlements that previously had settled their land, sparking an invasion from the northern Thracians.

- The Zusra Faith continues to spread to the south, and the west. The first traces of it are recorded to hit Tarsus in 1129 B.C.E.

- The various Aquil-Speaking people first begin to develop advanced sailing, preparing, perhaps, to dominate the Adriatic sea.

- The Zawbara; despite their foray onto the mainland, are struck with a plague there. Afraid of bringing the plague back to their homeland, they do not expand further.

- Caure peoples, The Nambiri, and the Zawbara begin to slowly stagnate, leading them to have D&D Stage ONE.
    Last edited by Transoxthraxia on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steampunk Mars
    Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Steampunk Mars » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:58 pm

Zarqan, Berezite conquered lands, 1200-1100BCE:

The kings of Zarqan had sworn fealty to Berezebel under the reign of its God-King Utar-Bazaduk. Sworn before the images of Berezite and Zarqanite gods, a covenant of fealty was not something to break lightly. The gods frowned on mortals trampling their oaths underfoot. The successors of Utar-Bazaduk, however, were not the same calibre of men that their august predecessor was, and in the reign of God-King Nar-Shashud, the Zarqanite gods had finally had enough. Sworn word was one thing. Destroying your kingdom through blind allegiance to a swineherder of a king was something else entirely. King Til-Shattan of Zarqan (born Ziurshaddu, he had renamed himself after the old Zarqanite name for the Queen of the Gods) had rebelled against the Berezite yoke and set himself up as King in truth.

Berezebel:
    Nar-Shashud had not taken the news well. Burning with rage, he had marched his army northwest to Zarqan to quell the revolt.
    The Zarqanites were filthy rebels, but motivated and fairly ably led. Zarqan was one of the smaller cities, however, and the God-King's army far outnumbered that of the rebel king. After a couple of desultory, indecisive battles, Nar-Shashud resolved to try a different approach. Sending gifts to all of his subordinate underkings, he deliberately included Til-Shattan, instructing his messengers to relay to the rebel king that the God-King's sovereignty was unaffected by Til-Shattan's revolt, but to remind the underking of all of the advantages of Berezite suzerainty: the stability, technological advances and shared wealth. Til-Shattan became duly, if grudgingly, impressed. Certainly even Nar-Shashud was an able administrator, despite his other lacks...

Crisis appeared to be averted, but the province, unlike the other acquisitions, was not yet fully Berezite.

Hozingar:

As the Berezite empire began to expand northward and westward, the Berezites gained access to more fertile lands along the larger Ziaba river, more suitable for growing crops. The Berezites had always grown crops such as wheat and barley, but the alluvial plains of the Berezite heartland along the Iuma were narrow and space for croplands was limited. Agriculture and livestock were of roughly equal importance in the traditional Berezite way of life.
    The wider Ziaba lands were better farmland, and resulted in an increase in the farming population. The increasing prominence of crop farming meant also that an increasing number of people needed to know when to plant.

Berezite wise men had long watched the sky for omens. In doing so they had traced the courses of the great light, ruler of the day, associated with the god Nur-Utar, and the great light, ruler of the night, associated with the goddess Inurtana. They had also watched the rising and setting of certain groups of stars.
    Now, in this period, this knowledge was for the first time collected and systematised. A formal calendrical system integrating the solar year and lunar months entered general use, allowing for the first time a particular date to be specified.

The vernal equinox functioned as the beginning of the year, coinciding as it did with the rising of the constellation of the Ram, then the year cycled through the thirteen lunar months corresponding to the thirteen recognised constellations of the zodiac for a year of 364 days. Over the course of several cycles of careful observation, it was realised that the vernal equinox was drifting relative to the calendar year. An adjustment was made. More calculation ensued. By the dawn of the 10th Century BCE, a standardised cyclical adjustment of 5 extra days every fourth year had been added to the calendar, and this seemed to work. No doubt the gods were toying with mortal understanding, lest man become proud and set his will against the celestial beings.

Berezebel
    Number of Provinces: 8 (7 core; 1 in revolt this turn)
    Technology Researching: Calendar (turn 1 of 1)
    Technology Researched:
    • Pottery
    • Alphabet
    • Animal Husbandry
    • Mining
    • Masonry
    • Bronze Working
      [*}Bronze Military Applications
      [/list]
    Current Leader: Nar-Shashud (M2 D3 A5)
    Actions this turn: Researched Calendar (turn 1 of 1). Completed assimilation of Hozingar (3/3), Liburu (2/2), Kishur (2/2) and Nushkur (2/2); quelled revolt in nortwesternmost province (I presume assimilation gets either rolled back to zero or frozen for this; either way it's at 1/2)
    Decay and Deprivation Stage: No D&D
    Following religion: Traditional Berezite polytheism
    Last edited by Steampunk Mars on Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Al Meajilia
    Ambassador

Founded: Mar 02, 2013
    Ex-Nation

Postby Al Meajilia » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:03 am

1200- 1100 B.C.E: Ghashour the Great's Golden Age

A man stood alone with his cousin, three of his kinsmen were killed in battle. Only they and a group of four remain and if they become victorious his cousin will rule as Jabeikh of Zawbara'. This man has heard of the disease spreading in Khalnadu' he was cautious whereas his cousin didn't care at all. He is a direct descendant of Jabeikh Her'gal Bisr Ghashour his great-grandfather through his eldest son and the daughter of a Bedouin Sheikh and thus he had a darker skin tone similar to those of Khalnadu' who are of mixed Zawbarite and Bedouin blood who have the skin tone of the Bedouins but the features of the Zawbarites.

The enemy group approached,they were outnumbered. The man held a spear in a tight grip before suddenly his cousin threw his spear and begged for mercy. The men of the other clan was shocked and so was the man. In a fit of rage the man took his spear and lunged it through his cousin's gullet before taking it out and tossing it through the chest of the possible heir to the Jabeikhdom mkilling him. The men of the other clan were shocked and confused but then went on their knees and declared their loyalty and allegiance to the man as their Jabeikh. This might not go well with some clans as all the three Janeikhs(including this one) who came after Her'gal I Bisr Ghashour have been a part of his clan though they won through battle some were growing tired of the continued consolidation of power by one clan.

The men walked to Khalnadu' where they saw dead bodies on the street being carried in wagons to be buried in the desert. Though the sickness was worse the past century the Zawbarites have been growing immunity. As they walked the men shouted to make way for the new Jabeikh as people looked and stared. There have been a growing number of Bedouins settling in the town and taking the daughters of Zawbarites as wives becoming assimilated into Zawbarite culture their children having the physical traits of Zawbarites aside from minor differences. The new Jabeikh then saw a woman looking down on him from a balcony. Her beauty caught his eye as he went underneath it and recited a stanza proclaiming his love which made her blush. The new Jabeikh was seventeen years old and not yet married. He went into her house and entered her room where he stayed with her for three days and three nights before she became impregnated with his son, he soon married her on the fourth day and took her with him to the town of Zawbara', he was yet to recite a poem of victory to officially proclaim himself Jabeikh.

He went to the centre of town accompanied by his wife and the three men of the rival clan who swore allegiance to him and stood out the Grand Temple with his wife at his side, this was a shock for the Zawbarites as never had a ruler's wife stood beside him in public as the Jabeikhs consorts were considered the Jabeikh's private possessions. He recited a poem proclaiming his victory and declaring his immerse love for his wife and declaring her his Princess, his Jabeikha. This caused large gasps and shock among the populace never has this happened before, the Jabeikh was breaking a great taboo among his people. This new Jabeikh, Ghashour II Bisr Zawbar and his wife Hinad would began a new reign of prosperity for the Zawbarites. Even a story of them in poem form emerged from this time the earliest known poem to survive speaking of their love and sacrifices and a story of Jabeikh Ghashour II saving his wife from a group of bandits in Bahrain with a group of fifty men as they slaughtered the Bedouin bandits, their children, and their women. However this story may not be true, but what is true however a group of fighters from a Bedouin clan of two hundred and ninety five in allegiance to the Jabeikh took over a Bedouin settlement in the North of Bahrain and took their women as their wives and slaughtered all men and boys and took the wives and girls as wives for them and their children, in the process taking nearby farmlands and villages taking Bahrain in the name of the Jabeikh of Zawbara'. Zawbarite settlers from the Isles of Zawbara' settled in the North town of Bahrain they named "Saif Il Khoutu' " while the Bedouins settled in the depopulated villages.

The Bireme was being invented in Saif Il Khoutu' in a quest to find a way of quick travel between the three major Zawbarite towns via sea as transport. After ten years into the reign of Ghashour II he fathered five children three sons and two daughters and did not take any other wives, this led many people to consider the Jabeikha Hinad a witch or sorceress after adopting Zusraism whose two gods are referred by the Zawbarite worshippers of Zuraism as Ashour and Shamsheer who are the head gods of the Zawbarite pantheon and they believe all of man used to follow this religion before being corrupted by pantheons exclusive to each nation and civilisation. This caused a persecution against the followers of Zusraism in Zawbara' which was stopped by the Jabeikh much to the distaste of the Rokhan priests who believe the income off their gods via fees for entering and worshipping was being harmed.

The Jabeikh ordered two Nambiri missionaries to come to his palace where he gave them an offer, if they managed to cure his extremely sick eldest son through help of their religion then he and his clan will adopt Zusraism. In a months time the son grew less and less sick with the missionaries' daily visits and this the Jabeikh adopted the religion of Zusraism. Ghashour II reigned for 39 years before dying at the age of 56. His last words were a proclamation of eternal love for his wife who in grief killed herself as he died in her hands. As per Ghashour's wishes they were buried in the same grave and during his reign Zusraism began spreading through out the Jabeikhdom. The next two Jabeikhs to come were his son and great-grandson who were part of his clan and were followed of Zusraism much to the distaste of many Zawbarites who saw the continued reign of the clan and their new religion as a threat.

However the Jabeikh was loved and adored by many young Zawbarites who began to refer to him as "The Great" his reign marked a culture growth and golden age of Zawbara'.

Nation Name Zawbara'
    Number of Provinces: 3
    Technology Researching: Bireme (0/1)
    Technology Researched:
      -Basic Sailing
      -Advanced Sailing
      -Pottery
      -Calendar
      -Organised Fishing
      -Animal Husbandry
      -Archery
    Current Leader: Jabeikh Ghashour The Great
    Actions this turn: Conquered Bahrain, Qatar assimilation (2/3), Spread of Zusraism (0/2)
    Decay and Deprivation Stage: 1
    Following religion: Zawbarite Pantheon (majority), Zusraism (Large and fast spreading minority).
    Last edited by Al Meajilia on Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
    GENERATION 5: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

The Great Warrior Rivers
    Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Great Warrior Rivers » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:47 am

Aquilea, 1200-1100 B.C.E:

The tides eased in and out of the Aquilean shores. It was a fine day for a trip. Many took boats out to see what it was like on the water. Many felt seasick and went home immediately, but there were a few, as if a chosen few, who were not fazed by the swells. The Kingdom called these people the Nauta. They could ride the boats for hours before coming in. To them, it was natural. The impressive amount of will that took shook the Kingdom itself. And in a few days, the Nauta would finally put their strength into a test, to see who really was the king of the seas.

Life was calm near the Kingdom of Aquilea. Life as known continued on as the riots cooled down. Many came out of their shops and homes, for they were no longer afraid of fighting. People could now openly trade and work with tranquility. But not all was meant to be. Still, we had issues with the boats. Not this time that they would sink, but would only fit one person at a time. Maybe, if the scholiasts researched, they could learn how to fit more.

A second problem arose. The Far North became rowdy, and stray barbarians starting raiding local settlements. So leader Remus Fidelis sent the best of diplomats to assimilate the cultures to the North.

The Kingdom of Aquilea
    Number of Provinces:3, 1 in the process of assimilation
    Technology Researching:Advanced Sailing(0 if research counts as a turn)
    Technology Researched:
      Basic Sailing, Pottery, Animal Husbandry, Mining, Masonry, Bronze Working, Alphabet, Advanced Sailing
    Current Leader: Remus Fidelis (M2,D4,A3)
    Actions this turn: Started assimilation of territory just north of me (1/3)
    Decay and Deprivation Stage:0
    Following religion: N/A
    Last edited by The Great Warrior Rivers on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Granadeseret
    Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Granadeseret » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:53 pm

1200 B.C.E- 1100 B.C.E- The Time of the Prophet Atabyrius

The century following the settlement of Trace, despite the collapse of the Regican trade routes and the return to dealing with the various city-states of the Greecians, found a period of peace and calm in the Aegean Sea; though, in popular parlance the name "Decilin Sea" became the spoken term and the what was written on what passed for maps. The cities of and provinces who touched those waters found themselves thriving as the decayed culture of Regica was replaced with the vibrant, competitive Greek cities; trade with which recalling the glory days of the Aegean Island states, who by this point had fallen into a sleepy backwater. With the stopping power of the ocean between their two cultures, Decanesil and the Greeks were far from the each other's petty internal squabbles, and had little to do but trade with one another. To the north, however, in Decanesil's first attempt to step outside the bonds of her sea and strike out beyond, the situation was not so great; the natives of the Black Sea had turned on their settlement, and traveling overland to constantly relieve their Black Sea outposts drained much of the time and attention of Decanesil's military establishment, despite rising cultural pressure to move against and siege the Fikrit cities. Chatter among the clericship stated that the settlements were cursed from the start; the settlers had turned their back on Io's ocean and into the land of the Fikrit's demon gods, who tortured any Decan they could get in their hateful grasp. Either the Fikrit cities must be laid low and their gods broken, or good Decans must remain near the Decilin Sea, under the watchful eyes of their gods.

However, this was before Atabyrius emerged. He was a man, born of the province of Nixil, his eyes the dark blue of the rolling waves and his his hair ragged and brown. The son of a fisherman, he was raised with his younger sister and mother in a small hut on the shore; living a relatively simple childhood until the age of 7, when a small pirate fleet sailed into harbor, raining arrows upon the fishing boats and preparing to strike and plunder. Though the men and older boys of the village rallied in defense, fighting with whatever they could grasp, they were simply too ill-equipt and too few to stand against the inevitable pillage that was about to strike. Engulfed in fear, Atabyrius lifted a prayer to the heavens, begging for his family to to saved and, out of a perfectly calm sky, the clouds collected and grew black in the sky, a great storm forming over the village harbor. The raging winds blew back into the pirate's sails, dashing them into the cliffsides. And, as the stories go, out of the clouds he saw emerge a figure: a massive man with a great black mane and even greater black beard, drive down his spear upon the wreckage, a bolt of lightening coming down on the hapless pirates. From that point on, Atabyrius began to see this man everywhere; in the stormclouds, guiding the schools of fish when he became old enough to get out on a boat, and flickering in the smoke and embers of hearthfire. His voice whispered in the waves and winds, pressing him to go out and speak for him, to cast aside doubt about the Northern Sea. When he could take the visions no longer, at the age of 14, Atabyrius left his village, his younger sister Lysa following by his side, to sail about Decanes, his father's old fishing spear as his staff. Those who heard him said his voice sounded with the authority of a force of nature; unyielding and true in its path, speaking to them of the God Melesius; All-Father of mankind and steward of the world. He spoke of all the times Melesius had come for him, guiding him safely through the seas and standing watch in the night, how he would appear at the shoulder of Kings and his voice echo in the minds of the righteous warrior. The simple electricity of his voice, and the way the skies and seas seemed to bend to his mood when he was present, brought many along Mainland to his cause, words of his deed eventually travailing to Decanes itself.

At first, the King did not believe the tall tales of sailors and fishermen. After all, they had spoken of mythical beings often enough; why should he believe them now? Particularly when the man they spoke of never wore a shirt even in the harshest of conditions, came from the humblest of backgrounds, and who wielded powers far behoynd any man he had ever heard of. However, rumors of his miracles and power continued to spread; fish leeping out of the ocean for a feast for starving villagers, salt water made fresh; even, so they claimed, forming an oxen of water on whom's back his sister rode when they marched inland. His message was a simple one; Melesius is the one god, Father of all Mankind, and master over every force on earth. However, Melesius is not one god but 2: Melesan the Rightious, and Melesul the Vengeful, both sides constantly fighting in his mind. To settle the taxing pressure in his mind as he tried to keep control over his darker half, so the natural world would grow and advance rather then fall to decay and storm, his sister Inadice lay with him, to produce beings with the essence of divinity; humanity, who's example and deeds could strengthen and inspire his good half. Thus, it was the duty of all men to follow in Melesan's example; to be good and just stewards of what is theirs, to seek glory and smite those who seek to harm the weak, to honor, provide for, and protect their families and harness the powers of nature for their own. His sister Lysa also spoke, though she did not wield power like that of her brother, and preached of the example of Inadice; that to honor their All-Mother they must nurture the young and comfort and heal those going through trouble, support and be ever-loyal to their fathers and brothers, to create a sanctuary of rest and peace through comfort and attendance just as they make a sanctuary for you through toil and diligence. This message, far more appeal and empowering the the capricious whims of the Decan deities, stuck strong with much of the lower class, eventually growing strong enough that King Simon Chamheh found it fitting to bring the pair to his court, to learn of their ways and see their power in his own right.

At first, it seemed odd to the clericship and nobility that Simon would allow this begger into the palace, and snidely dimissed him as a charlatan tricking superstitious and ignorant commonfolk. However, all of that changed when Atabyrius channeled the power of Melesius before them, his touch upon the old stone pillars instantly shriveling and decaying the lichens and planets infesting the structure. Awed my his might, they listened as Atabyrius gave a rousing speech before the King, the words so moving and powerful that, overcome with awe, Simon fell to his knees before the great prophet, begging for his blessings. Lysa her brother both bathed Simon in salt water, carrying him across the harbor in a garment of bronze without sinking in the slightest, and then from the top of his palace shouted the praises of Melesius to all people, pledging that Melesius would have a great statue in this harbor, greater than that of the old gods. With his example, the faith spread rapidly through Decanesil, Atabyrius and Lysa being personally married by the King at their request and sparing no expense in constructing a temple to Melesius, Atabyrius and Lysa's decedents set with the head of the new Clericship; a Patriarch and Matriarch of the Melesil Faith.

Meanwhile, while major changes were happening in Decanes proper, and perhaps as a sign of Melesius's favor, the men of Troy-Ohon had finally stumbled upon the perfection of the "Land-Waves" system; taking the roundish carved shape of the tree and making it into thinner disks, either of stone or wood. When attacked to strong bars, they could be placed on the bottem of large containers and used to haul large loads of goods, or whatever other heavy object one desired. Indeed, one of this first ways this was used was in the Decan "Moving Hut". In that system, a wooden dome was build over the top of a wide wagon-base, with slits built for people inside to shoot arrows out. These could be tugged around by oxen surrounded by a more boxy frame, allowing Decan soldiers the ability to travel without fear of sniping ambushes and with mobile strong-points. Using this weapon, the Decan forces were able to gain the upper hand over the Thracians, removing their presence from Decanesil's territory. Soon, wagons could be seen working along the land route between the Black and Aegean sea, forming a low-tax alternative to the contested sea route.

Nation Name
    Number of Provinces: 9 (8 Decan)
    Technology Researching: The Wheel (2/2)
    Technology Researched:
      Basic Sailing, Pottary, Mining, Masonry, Advanced Sailing, Alphabet, Calendar, Animal Husbandry, Writing, Archery, Bronze Working, The Wheel
    Current Leader: Simon Chamheh Mil 2 Adm 2 Dip 2
    Actions this turn: Defeated the Thracians and secured land trade between Aegean and Black Seas, invented the Wheel, converted the Melesil Faith (Melesism)
    Following religion: Melesim

Transoxthraxia
    Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:31 pm

1,200-1,100 B.C.E - Middle Zyrvanite Period

Despite the fact that the Zyrvanite kings being at the height of their power, that wouldn't stop them from having the occasional poro king or two. One fine example would be the king Ayxtas, who reigned from 1,193 to 1,163. During this time period, Ayxtas had virtually no power, and was only the king in a titular sense. Instead, there was an entire body of governing bureaucrats who had taken his place, and had their roots in the ancient Posilas, the old, Bronze-Age class that had evolved as a result of the discovery and codifying of the Axartyaian Alphabet and writings. This class, which was all but destroyed in the massive earthquake and the conflict that followed, nursed themselves back to health in the old city of Axartyai, despite most of it having been destroyed in the earthquake. This class, having had centuries to reclaim its power and replenish its numbers, the Posilas began to once again emerge as the premier administrative power within the kingdom.

These Posilas, who were still based in the old city of Axartyai, unlike the King, who was based in the city of New Tarsa, basically assumed the job of ruling the nation after the ascension of the mentally impaired Ayxtas, who seems to have been a product of inbreeding; despite the Axartyaian Royal Marriage laws stating that royalty may marry outside of the family, the previous king had decided to take his two sisters as his wives. These Posilas, began to worry that the Axartyaian state had been too focused on the matter of warfare, and quickly shifted focus to more administratively and culturally useful technology, and began to look into the prospect of Advanced Construction, which began to incorporate visual aesthetics into the building design, that not only allowed the buildings within the realm to look more visually appealing but structurally more sound all the while. It was at this point in Axartyaian history, as well, that mainstream contact with the Decans to the west became prominent. Despite not sharing a border with them, Axartyaian traders and raiders began to visit the rich Decan land more and more often, as they were relatively easy to raid and loved to trade.

Despite the greater amount of wealth that began to flow into Axartyai, an unexpected consequence also originated from these actions. The religious events that had just happened in Decanesil, which resulted in the founding of the religion Melesim, had a large effect on the traders that departed and returned to the Decan lands. They brought back not only their language, but their religion as well. Melesim originally began as a religion of the middle class in Axartyai, mostly due to these merchants and traders who had a lot of contact with the so-called "holy land" in Decanesil. The repercussions were large. Despite the fact that the religion was popular among the middle-class and, to some extent, the upper-class, the lower and priestly classes couldn't stand the concept of a new religion permeating the ideals of the traditional Axartyaian society. While the Posilas, who were torn over the subject, did nothing to promote or demote the religion, violence frequently rang out among the streets of the western towns of Axartyai, and often followers of Melesim were formally ostracized from Axartyaian society at large. Furthermore, more zealous warriors would equip themselves with the best arms and armour possible and make forays into Decan territory as a response for the spread of Melesim throughout Axartyaian society, no longer looking for wealth, but rather violence, often burning down villages and disrupting trade routes.

While this was happening, however, as mentioned before, the Posilas had turned a blind eye to these actions, afraid that it may spark more civil strife if they took one side or the other, and instead focused on increasing the kingdom's borders. They headed east, where they clashed with the Neo-Hittites, who were divided by political and geographical terms, too divided and fractured to fight back effectively against the bronze-wielding Axartyaian army.

Axartyai
    Number of Provinces: 10.
    Technology Researching: Advanced Construction (1/2)
    Technology Researched:
      -Alphabet
      -Writing
      -Philosophy
      -Mining
      -Masonry
      -Bronze Working
      -Bronze Military Applications
      -Animal Husbandry
      -Archery
      -The Wheel
    Current Leader: Ayxtas Zyrvanas (1/3/1)
    Actions this turn: Conquered the province to the east. (2/4), (1/4)
    Decay and Deprivation Stage: Stage one. (8/10 Provinces of Axartyaian culture)
    Following religion: Axartyaian Pantheon - Pagan

Photana
    Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Photana » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:43 pm

The History of Qartha, 1200- 1100 B.C.E
    After the rule of the Namtha dynasty ended, the storms passed as well, allowing fishermen to once again head out into the sea, allowing for Qarthan growth to continue, this time with an emphasis on revenge. The oral tradition of the Qarthans told of a people who raided their culture during the plague of the Great Consumer. They took many as slaves and were said to have come from the southeast, by water. When the new generations heard these tales, they only thought one thing- Revenge. The people the were neighbors to the southern coast cities that they had just conquered bore a striking resemblance to the men in the tales. Enough so that the Qarthan people connected the dots, and prepared for some vengeance.

Again a Qarthan Army set out from the lands of the Qarthans, this time reinforced by Asarpori troops, called up by the King at the time, Ghis Idd. He was not the military commander the Namthas were famed for, but he was a skilled negotiator and compromiser, the two things that would not be happening during this age. The Army marched into the territory of the Libyans, and began laying waste to the country side, sparing no man women or child from the point of a spear or edge of a sword. The Army was followed by a river of Qarthan and Asarpori families, travelling in a new invention powered by the Wheel, the cart. These families quickly resettled the areas scoured by the army, who left the crops that they didn't need alone, so the settlers could have a harvest. By 1105 BCE, the Libyans of the land were either dead or had fled elsewhere, and the lands was being divided between the soldiers of the Qarthan army, and settlers from Qartha and Asarpor. The Ghis kings were quite skilled at administration, and dealt with these problems easily.

Tech: The Wheel (2/2)
    Actions: Conquered one province to the east of my most recent conquest, began assimilation (1/2)
    Provinces: 6, 4 Qarthan.
    Leader: Ghis Dynasty (3/4/4)
    Religion: Traditional Qarthan Folk Religion - Pagan
    AH, PMT, some FT.

Ralnis
    Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:31 pm

The Isim,1200BCE-1100BCE, The Age of Pirate Rulers

In the year 1180 BCE, the Isim had came under threat from uprisings and pirates in the lands and seas that the people proclaim as their own. The common people of the Isim had said that the Watcher of the Boats had claim that they had done wrong and they should had tried to expand their territory in order to try and make sure that overpopulation happened and the N'tunk had also started thinking that it was time to retreat back into their own island of Sicri( Sicily) and they started to do so under the will of the N'tunk, they had no other choice for there was also no U'tunk to lead the Isim as a whole during this time.

The forces where scattered across the holds and they where starting to retreat but there was one woman who dared to try and unite her people in this dire need. Her name was Nardia of Delectric( a province in Sicri that is below Sigurd, the capital of the Isim) who was an infamous Isimian pirate captain who was actually the last person anyone to expect and they scorned her for trying to say that she could unite the land where the N'tunk had failed the people and she set out to fight the battles that the Isim couldn't.

She was a surprising tactician and naval master, but she was not as much as a speaker or diplomat. She had organized her pirate fleets and volunteers that had taken their fishing cogs and some Ovashu but it was small and their enemies where of many. This had lead to another technological advancement as people started using the same wood they use for ships and their common buildings and have started to bend as they found more practical wood for the use of bendable material and weapons, but the first bows called Flectos where made to be used as a new type of naval range combat as the more common means to fight was smashing into them and chucking spears at very close range or boarding them. The Flectos where being used to train archers that where named Vas'Kir which are translated into Sea Horsemen or Sea Archers as they were trained archers to fire from boats and used from amphibious invasions at long ranges.

With these forces ready at hand, Nardia attacked the Pirates of Corish( Corsica) and Uul'guh( Sardinia) in the year 1176BCE named the First and Second Pirate Wars which where a total of six years of constant sea battles against a combined overwhelming armada of the pirates from Corish and Uul'guh, but the Vas'kir and tactics turned the tide at the Battle of Gull's Strait, that the pirate threat was gone or at least drastically reduced but then Nardia had to turn her attention to Malta, which was able to overthrow the local Isimian forces but Nardia set her eyes to take it back no matter what the cost.

This was the Reconquest of Malta which happened in the year 1170BCE and it was not even as brutal as the last for the Isim as Nardia use the Vas'kir and pirates that where loyal to her to take back the island from the natives and make them bow to the Pirate Queen. After the wars, she return to Malta as a hero and become the first female U'tunk of her people as she became known as a Pirate Queen and made it her mission to finally usher a new age of the Isim as they broke their isolation and she restructure the army and navy to that which represent the Isimian pirates of a hierarchy caste and the Vas'kir where her honor guard and admirals as she will be the first among many Pirate Rulers of the Isim to make an impact on their culture and history.

The Isim
    Number of Provinces:5, 1 is retaken( assimilation in 1/3 turns)
    Technology Researching: Archery(1/1)
    Current Leader: Nardia of Deletric (M5,D2,A3)
    Actions this turn: Defeated the pirates, restructure the military, retake Malta, researched archery, had first female U'tunk who has made the first of many Pirate Rulers of the Isim
    Decay and Deprivation Stage:0
    Following religion: Watcher of the Boats/ Isimian Law acknowledgment- Pagan
    Last edited by Ralnis on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse