NATION

PASSWORD

Super Hero High: Prometheus Rising (OOC, Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Orinon
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 08, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Orinon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:44 am

The thing is that some of our character's abilities are part of who they are, rather then an extension.

Markus would literally be dead without his healing factor; His arm got blown off by a tripwire bomb. Josh is a literal living battery and lives in constant fear that he'll slip up and kill someone again. Goltia can't even walk properly without her abilities, she's that dependent on them. (And yes, this will get covered soon (tm) ) Abigale would be a lot more stable and adjusted (and thus more boring) if she wasn't able to do quantum equation mathematics in her head.

My point is, yes, a lot of the characters here aren't defined by what their powers are. But there are a equal amount that are.
I did some threads a long ass time ago that some people care about Iunno ya'll crazy.

Answers to Orinon or Watery. Part time author, part time gas station attendant, full time cynical bastard.

Ularn
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:32 am

Glovania wrote:
Ularn wrote:Have you considered that perhaps your concerns could make for an interesting in-character discussion between those who think Jun is stealing their souls, identities, or whatever and the ones who are like "big fuckin' deal"? Just saying.

I Agree with Terinania here. I think it is theft. The point of this RP is superpowers, and therefore having unique superpowers is a novelty I love to enjoy. I love my characters to be different and individual, and having unique powers is the main way to be different. Would you take that from us?

And also it kinda seems like a bad cover up for "I can't think of a unique aspect for my character. I know, I'll just take what makes everyone else unique, shit on it, and use it myself, disguising it as one of the shittest powers ever." Just saying.

Calling me out for lack of originality is a good one. I could say a few things to you on that point, but I don't want to start a flame war.

I would have thought someone who finds it so important that their characters' powers be unique would appreciate the idea of another player thinking outside the box with regard to how their character works. To be quite honest, if I was an established member of this thread (oh look, I was) and someone submitted an application for a character like Jun, I would be thinking "Hey, this could be cool. I bet there's a ton of interesting ways we can use this to examine our own characters' notions of personal identity. I wonder how the character feels about her powers effectively rendering her a parasite? How will my character deal with the fact that others can do what they can do, if only temporarily? Oh, and I guess we just doubled our damage output during the fight scenes - awesome!"

You might have heard imitation was the highest form of flattery. You might have found it interesting to see what your characters' abilities look like from the third person or in the hands of a different personality. You might have read the second post in the IC thread and realised that someone who puts that sort of effort into researching and writing a post probably isn't choosing mimicry as a power out of laziness. You might have considered the possibility that I put a lot of thought into the character and that my first concern was always to add an interesting new angle to the RP, rather than assuming I was just out to steal your precious ideas.

Cock it. I'll rewrite the character so as not to threaten my fellow players' egos:
Name: Huang Jun
Nationality: Chinese/Kiwi
Height: 164 cm
Weight: 61 kg
Hair: Black
Eyes: Green
Costume (if any): None - Jun usually wears normal casual clothes with her favorite outfit being a pair of hipster jeans, purple crop top and grey corduroy jacket. She also wears a jade Heimatau - or Maori fish hook charm - on a string around her neck and carries a handful of pebbles in a pouch at her belt.
Abilities: Terrakinesis - Jun can shape and manipulate earth and rock. At present, the only application of this power which she can use consciously use is floating dirt and pebbles, although more energetic manifestations occur when she is intensely emotional. With training, Jun will probably become able to manipulate larger quantities of earth, rock, sand and - potentially - even metal.
Dorm: Hero
Brief Bio: Jun was born in the People's Republic of China but emigrated to New Zealand with her parents when she was only a few months old. Although she holds dual citizenship and speaks both Mandarin and English (as well as some Maori), Jun has never actually returned to her birth nation. Her parents opened a Chinese Restaurant in Taupo, an area of intense volcanic activity, where as a teenager Jun worked after school and on weekends. Growing up, Jun was a bright child with great enthusiasm for chemistry, lots of friends, and who loved athletics, often competing in triathlons and bike races that took place in and around the Lake Taupo all through summer.
Her abilities came to light while competing in the Taupo Iron Man Triathlon. Due to a mix up in planning that morning, Jun had arrived at the starting line without her wetsuit but had elected to attempt the race regardless. About half way into the swimming portion of the race, Jun was almost exhausted and near-hypothermic when an Earthquake shook the volcanic lake bed, opening a new geothermal vent in the long extinct caldera, heating the water to a temperature where wetsuits were no longer needed. The race was called off and the swimmers picked up by a fleet of rescue boats but Jun was found walking back to shore along a spur of rock which had erupted impossibly from the lake bed, creating a path to safety. Later she would say she had barely any memory of what happened on the lake and that it had all seemed like a strange dream.
Her parents were overjoyed to be blessed with such a gifted child and gleefully saw her packed off to Super Hero High to complete her education in space. Although incredibly excited about the prospect herself, Jun has heard rumours of things which have allegedly happened on the station and is apprehensive about being in a strange place so far from the earth where her newly discovered abilities can be best used.
Last edited by Ularn on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ULARN INTERSTELLAR FEDERATION
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Broken World: Beastmasters | Of Zombies and Men
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:07 am

My post wasn't the greatest but whatever, it'll do.

Also, my mind, you can shut up any time about wondering how it would go with your character from another RP trying to get through security in this RP...Just like you can shut up any time about other things going over and over again in your head right now...*Mumbles to self*

Oh hi.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Orinon
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 08, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Orinon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:34 am

I would like to point out that I actually love power copying as an ability (The first version of what became Abigale (she went through about 3 names) had power copying as her ability alongside intelligence). I was just stating where I stood on the subject; That it's rather iffy and very much reliant on trust between people hidden behind a flag and a internet connection.

In other news, the next timeskip of a week or longer will result in the station's overall mental stability dropping by a factor of 2.
Last edited by Orinon on Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I did some threads a long ass time ago that some people care about Iunno ya'll crazy.

Answers to Orinon or Watery. Part time author, part time gas station attendant, full time cynical bastard.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:10 pm

Yes, it is fine to make another character.
My Last.FM and RYM

Tzarsgrad
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tzarsgrad » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:22 pm

Corrian wrote:Yes, it is fine to make another character.

Ooh, thank you. It'll be up in a moment, then.

Name: Stephen Mercilus
Nationality: Nigerian
Height: 6'7
Weight: 245 lbs
Hair: Shaved
Eyes: Dark Brown
Costume (if any): N/A
Abilities: Super Strength
Dorm: Villain/Vigilante/Hero: Vigilante
Brief Bio: Stephen was born to a wealthy oil baron in Lagos, Nigeria. His powers of great strength were apparent all growing up, and as he matures, his control over his abilities seems to be slipping. His father, whose role in his life has been limited since Stephen was young, has sent him here in hopes of him being able to truly master his abilities. Stephen lost his mother when he was very young, and mostly raised himself. He has a quiet demeanor, but is prone to sudden, angry outbursts.
Last edited by Tzarsgrad on Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains..."
Are you a fan of pen and paper games? Then check out Tortured Earth! Addictive yet simple gameplay, with modules that range from an afternoon to several sessions! Although we're only in the developmental stages, keep in touch for details!

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:42 am

Figuring that MA has no reason not to accept the revamped Jun, (terrakinesis is basically a less potent version of telekinesis) I went ahead and posted in the IC. What's going on at the moment?
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:31 am

Ularn wrote:Figuring that MA has no reason not to accept the revamped Jun, (terrakinesis is basically a less potent version of telekinesis) I went ahead and posted in the IC. What's going on at the moment?

A simulation survival training class with everyone's least favorite teacher.
My Last.FM and RYM

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:36 am

Corrian wrote:
Ularn wrote:Figuring that MA has no reason not to accept the revamped Jun, (terrakinesis is basically a less potent version of telekinesis) I went ahead and posted in the IC. What's going on at the moment?

A simulation survival training class with everyone's least favorite teacher.

Great. Better get reading then.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:23 am

Who's the tall, dark haired man mentioned in your post, Ularn? All the students, and the teacher, is inside the simulation.
Times are looking grim these days~

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:30 am

Terintania wrote:Who's the tall, dark haired man mentioned in your post, Ularn? All the students, and the teacher, is inside the simulation.

Ah, I meant Leeroy, since I assumed he would be controlling stuff from outside the sim. Still back reading at the moment.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:31 am

Out of curiosity, Mighty Asgard, what would happen if a student tried to get alcohol, drugs, and cigarette's through security?
My Last.FM and RYM

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:33 am

Ularn wrote:
Terintania wrote:Who's the tall, dark haired man mentioned in your post, Ularn? All the students, and the teacher, is inside the simulation.

Ah, I meant Leeroy, since I assumed he would be controlling stuff from outside the sim. Still back reading at the moment.

I think you control the Sim from within the sim. Either waym, he's int he class,.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:39 am

Terintania wrote:I think you control the Sim from within the sim. Either waym, he's int he class,.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone was nearby to be able to inform Leroy somehow, though. Like a guard or something.
My Last.FM and RYM

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:00 am

Corrian wrote:
Terintania wrote:I think you control the Sim from within the sim. Either waym, he's int he class,.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone was nearby to be able to inform Leroy somehow, though. Like a guard or something.

Well whatever. I edited so she's in the sim now.

Corrian wrote:Out of curiosity, Mighty Asgard, what would happen if a student tried to get alcohol, drugs, and cigarette's through security?

Historically, Scott smoked while a student of the school during the two school years before this one. No-one stopped him bringing cigarettes on board, despite his making basically no effort to conceal them; he had a pack in his jacket pocket on arrival and probably more in his luggage. However, since smoking was banned everywhere on board the station (and, to make doubly sure, probably banned again specifically for students), he had to find a secluded spot near an air vent any time he wanted to smoke.

Admittedly, these were during days of laser rules, at which time we saw things like AETEN II's Cen lobbing grenades at staff and pupils in the cafeteria and receiving no punishment. It's easily possible that standards have tightened.
Last edited by Ularn on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:03 am

Ularn wrote:
Corrian wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if someone was nearby to be able to inform Leroy somehow, though. Like a guard or something.

Well whatever. I edited so she's in the sim now.

Corrian wrote:Out of curiosity, Mighty Asgard, what would happen if a student tried to get alcohol, drugs, and cigarette's through security?

Historically, Scott smoked while a student of the school during the two school years before this one. No-one stopped him bringing cigarettes on board, despite his making basically no effort to conceal them (he had a pack in his jacket pocket on arrival) although, since smoking was banned everywhere on board the station (and, to make doubly sure, probably banned again specifically for students), he had to find a secluded spot near an air vent any time he wanted to smoke.

The teacher, Alexia, has gotten scolded for smoking. Mostly from Leroy, but I think one of Mighty Asgards teachers may have said something about it,too

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:07 am

Ularn wrote:Historically, Scott smoked while a student of the school during the two school years before this one. No-one stopped him bringing cigarettes on board, despite his making basically no effort to conceal them; he had a pack in his jacket pocket on arrival and probably more in his luggage. However, since smoking was banned everywhere on board the station (and, to make doubly sure, probably banned again specifically for students), he had to find a secluded spot near an air vent any time he wanted to smoke.

Admittedly, these were during days of laser rules, at which time we saw things like AETEN II's Cen lobbing grenades at staff and pupils in the cafeteria and receiving no punishment. It's easily possible that standards have tightened.

I just have a character my stupid mind keeps imagining in this RP scenario and I kept imagining how her reactions would be to them either being fine with her taking all of that in or declining her trying to get it in, so I was just curious how it would even go. A big part of her existence is her substance abuse issues and her obsession with really heavy genres of metal, though she has a fun personality to play anyway.

And yeah, I read a bit of that back when I first added my apps in the last one, but never actually joined until it was revived. Seemed a little nutty in the school :P
My Last.FM and RYM

Mighty Asgard
Minister

Founded: Jan 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mighty Asgard » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:27 am

Tzarsgrad wrote:
Corrian wrote:Yes, it is fine to make another character.

Ooh, thank you. It'll be up in a moment, then.

Name: Stephen Mercilus
Nationality: Nigerian
Height: 6'7
Weight: 245 lbs
Hair: Shaved
Eyes: Dark Brown
Costume (if any): N/A
Abilities: Super Strength
Dorm: Villain/Vigilante/Hero: Vigilante
Brief Bio: Stephen was born to a wealthy oil baron in Lagos, Nigeria. His powers of great strength were apparent all growing up, and as he matures, his control over his abilities seems to be slipping. His father, whose role in his life has been limited since Stephen was young, has sent him here in hopes of him being able to truly master his abilities. Stephen lost his mother when he was very young, and mostly raised himself. He has a quiet demeanor, but is prone to sudden, angry outbursts.

Accepted.

Ularn wrote:
Name: Huang Jun
Nationality: Chinese/Kiwi
Height: 164 cm
Weight: 61 kg
Hair: Black
Eyes: Green
Costume (if any): None - Jun usually wears normal casual clothes with her favorite outfit being a pair of hipster jeans, purple crop top and grey corduroy jacket. She also wears a jade Heimatau - or Maori fish hook charm - on a string around her neck and carries a handful of pebbles in a pouch at her belt.
Abilities: Terrakinesis - Jun can shape and manipulate earth and rock. At present, the only application of this power which she can use consciously use is floating dirt and pebbles, although more energetic manifestations occur when she is intensely emotional. With training, Jun will probably become able to manipulate larger quantities of earth, rock, sand and - potentially - even metal.
Dorm: Hero
Brief Bio: Jun was born in the People's Republic of China but emigrated to New Zealand with her parents when she was only a few months old. Although she holds dual citizenship and speaks both Mandarin and English (as well as some Maori), Jun has never actually returned to her birth nation. Her parents opened a Chinese Restaurant in Taupo, an area of intense volcanic activity, where as a teenager Jun worked after school and on weekends. Growing up, Jun was a bright child with great enthusiasm for chemistry, lots of friends, and who loved athletics, often competing in triathlons and bike races that took place in and around the Lake Taupo all through summer.
Her abilities came to light while competing in the Taupo Iron Man Triathlon. Due to a mix up in planning that morning, Jun had arrived at the starting line without her wetsuit but had elected to attempt the race regardless. About half way into the swimming portion of the race, Jun was almost exhausted and near-hypothermic when an Earthquake shook the volcanic lake bed, opening a new geothermal vent in the long extinct caldera, heating the water to a temperature where wetsuits were no longer needed. The race was called off and the swimmers picked up by a fleet of rescue boats but Jun was found walking back to shore along a spur of rock which had erupted impossibly from the lake bed, creating a path to safety. Later she would say she had barely any memory of what happened on the lake and that it had all seemed like a strange dream.
Her parents were overjoyed to be blessed with such a gifted child and gleefully saw her packed off to Super Hero High to complete her education in space. Although incredibly excited about the prospect herself, Jun has heard rumours of things which have allegedly happened on the station and is apprehensive about being in a strange place so far from the earth where her newly discovered abilities can be best used.

The changed version is accepted.

They would lose the contraband when it was discovered.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:33 am

Mighty Asgard wrote:

They would lose the contraband when it was discovered.

Figured. Now I'm imagining her response to that whole thing and being like "It isn't a very good idea to force someone immediately off of all their addictions, you know"

God damn it mind just shut up!

Always something to annoy me, right mind? *Talks to self*
My Last.FM and RYM

Kershya
Minister

Founded: Jan 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kershya » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:38 am

I'll get ready for the event for the end of the class.

Praise him
Full Name:
The United Nine Constitutional Monarchies of Kershya

Economy

Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.72

Pragia
Powerbroker

Founded: May 08, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Pragia » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:27 am

Ill try to post today, sorry im a little busy.

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Founded: Feb 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:36 am

Mighty Asgard wrote:They would lose the contraband when it was discovered.

What if it was in a form harder for guards to recognize?
By Hits Holy Hand,
The Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton II of the People of the DSA and Protector of Ukraine
Inaugurated 12:06 A.M. Ecuador Standard Time, June 26, 2014; crowned 12:23 A.M. EST; June 26, 2014; instituted the Separation of Positions 1:07 A.M. EST, June 26, 2014; retired from office 4:58 P.M. EST, June 27, 2014; returned to office 1:05 A.M. EST, June 30, 2014; retired again 12:05 P.M. EST

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:24 pm

I will try to post later today. Currently distracted with Game of Thrones

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:46 pm

Terintania wrote:I will try to post later today. Currently distracted with Game of Thrones

Ned Stark is Rosebud's father!
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Founded: Feb 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:53 pm

Ularn wrote:
Terintania wrote:I will try to post later today. Currently distracted with Game of Thrones

Ned Stark is Rosebud's father!

Winter is people!
By Hits Holy Hand,
The Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton II of the People of the DSA and Protector of Ukraine
Inaugurated 12:06 A.M. Ecuador Standard Time, June 26, 2014; crowned 12:23 A.M. EST; June 26, 2014; instituted the Separation of Positions 1:07 A.M. EST, June 26, 2014; retired from office 4:58 P.M. EST, June 27, 2014; returned to office 1:05 A.M. EST, June 30, 2014; retired again 12:05 P.M. EST

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse