NATION

PASSWORD

Descend into madness (RP/game signups CLOSED.)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Jormengand
Powerbroker

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Descend into madness (RP/game signups CLOSED.)

Postby Jormengand » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:49 pm

Hello, and welcome to the mad house. I'm your friendly neighborhood gamesmaster, and here is my little role playing game. The entire ruleset of the game as it stands is laid out before you:

Statistics: These don't work the same way that your attribute scores do in D&D, or most other games - imagine a hit point or mana point bar, but neither regenerates on its own.

Sanity: Your sanity is measured out of 100. As you start to lose sanity, you become less effective in combat as delusions appear and you waste your time fighting them. Those with high sanities are more effective in combat, as they fight more efficiently and don't waste time working out whether or not they're batshit insane. There is no particular effect of having 0 sanity.
- The mask of sanity: The mask is measured out of 200. It is never less than your sanity, nor more than double it, and always starts as double it (thus you need not spend points on it). It essentially represents how sane you look. A score over 100 means that no-one suspects anything. This does, of course, mean that you can be a good half way to losing the plot entirely and no-one bats an eyelid. There is no particular effect of having 0 mask.

Health: Your health is measured out of 100. Health is basically your hit points. All those in the 18 constitution club, hold your horses. You might not want to stack all your points in here, as if you have 20 health and 100 sanity you are still probably more effective than someone with the converse. That said, it is quite important; at low health you become less effective. Any character with 0 health is dead.

Intellect: Your IQ is measured out of 150, but you get 50 points free (although you may lose them later). I know that people in real life can have higher IQs, but right now it's not happening. Your IQ can help you stave off the effects of madness in early stages (For example, "I know humans can't jump that high, so he didn't just jump that high.") Conversely, a low IQ may make you disbelieve things on the grounds that you don't believe they can happen, or make your delusions seem like more blindingly obvious truths. Any character with 0 IQ is comatose.

Will: Your will is measured out of 100. Your will stops your character giving up and turning suicidal - or in less extreme incidents simply giving up at the task at hand. Your will can also allow you to ignore delusions. Any character with 0 will is comatose.

Initiative: Your initiative is measured out of 100. Your initiative allows you to move faster, and also make decisions faster. Initiative is perhaps the least dangerous statistic to have 1 of; it doesn't make you kill all your friends, it doesn't make you bleed to death or kill yourself - accidentally or otherwise. However, your team might have better things to do than wait for you. Any character with 0 initiative is immobile.

Example: Pedro Ignacio has 400 points. Being an intelligent but weak boy, sharp but on the verge of breakdown, he has the following statline:
Sanity: 64
Mask: 128
Health: 61
IQ: 147
Will: 83
Initiative: 95
At certain points in the game, you may be called upon to make a test upon a certain characteristic. It will be given a difficulty die - usually a d100, but it will later become a little lower - and a characteristic such as your initiative or will. You roll the equivalent die and subtract the result from your relevant stat.

Example: Pedro manages to walk into a trap. D'oh. The trap is fairly well-made, and so has a d120 difficulty die, and works against his Initiative. Which is kinda fortunate for Pedro, really. Pedro rolls a 59, and so his total result is (95-59=)36. Which means that he has passed the test by a lot. Pedro is fine, the trap does nothing.
Everyone loves combat, don't they? Well, okay, not everyone. I don't really like combat much, but there we go. In combat, follow this sequence:

1. Everyone takes a sanity test (DD100) or their initiative is 1 for step 2.
  2. Everyone takes an initiative test (DD100). The highest roller acts first.
  3. The player wishing to act must take a sanity test (DD80).
  4. They may now act normally if they passed.
  5. The character with the next highest initative test result goes to step 3. If there is none, then return to step one.

Example: Pedro is, for some reason (I can't be bothered to make another character), fighting himself. Pedro A rolls his sanity test and gets 64-11=53, which is positive and therefore a pass. Pedro B rolls 64-67=-3, which is a failure as it is negative.

Moving onto step 2, A takes his initiative test and gets 95-36=59. B gets 1-66=-65, as his initiative became 1. A takes his second sanity test, and rolls a 64-32=32. He can then act normally.

To attack, the attacker takes a test of health. The defender takes a test of initiative. These are inverted with a ranged weapon. If the attacker gets a higher score, the defender immediately loses an amount of health equal to the difference between the two scores. The defender must then take a will test with a DD equal to eight times the amount of damage dealt. If the result is negative, add the result to all the defender's stats in their next turn.

Example: A uses his action to attack B. A rolls 61-21=40. B rolls 95-67=28. A thus inflicts 12 damage on B. B must then make a will test with a DD of 96, and rolls 83-79=-4. When B acts, all of his stats count as 4 lower.

This may seem a bit complicated, but I'll walk you through combat if we ever get there. The tech level is going to be modern tech. This will be FanT, but you can't use any magic or stuff. You might get some later, though... or it might be a lie...

All right, here is your app:

Name:
Bio:
Personality:
Sanity:
Mask:
Health:
IQ:
Will:
Initiative:
RP Sample/UNR pass/I know you:

Name: Your character's name, dumbass.
Sex: Anyone caught writing "Yes please" or "No thanks" in this field will be shot.
Occupation: Your job. Can we not have dictators of a faraway land and shizz please? Relatively normal people?
Bio: Optional field. Tell us about your life.
Personality: Optional field. Tell us about your personality.
Sanity: Please put at least 50 points in sanity.
Mask: Yes, I know what your mask is. I want to know if you know what your mask is.
Health: Please put at least 50 points in health.
IQ: Please put at least 100 points in IQ.
Will: Please put at least 50 points in will.
Initiative: Please put at least 50 points in initiative.
RP Sample/UNR pass/I know you: If you don't have one of these, be prepared to write up a good app. I'll let you off without one because in a sense this kind of RP doesn't really need one.

I understand there may be a lot of questions, please ask away!

Firstaria wrote:Name: Francis York Morgan
Sex: Male
Bio: FBI Agent expert in profiling, facing dangerous criminals and paranormal investigations. He's good at investigating occult...to bad he has bipolar disorder.
Personality: He's Bipolar, but mostly calm. He can look a bit eccentric to normal people
Sanity: 80
Mask: 160
Health: 50
IQ: 150
Will: 90
Initiative: 80
Republic Of Hell wrote:Name: David Harris
Age: 16 (Seeing as how I happen to be a teenager myself, roll wit' it, yo.)
Bio: A highly intelligent man, currently working as a blue-collar pizza delivery boy to fund his college degree.
Personality: He's a high functioning autistic, and as such, not too personable- though he can be. Also has a minor case of depression, but for the most part, he's fairly normal.
Sanity: 75
Mask: 150 then, dammit!
Health: 75
Will: 80
Initiative: 70
RP Sample/UNR pass/I know you: UNR pass, bro.
Harkback Union wrote:Name: Ethel Walter
Sex: Female
Bio: Lost her entire family in a train crash at the age of 12. She was one of the few survivors of the accident. She was raised by foster parents. She has been working as a librarian for the last 6 years.
Personality: Depressed, Speaks Very little to others and prefers being alone. Obsessed with books
Sanity: 60
Mask: 120
Health: 100
IQ: 135
Initiative: 75
RP Sample/UNR pass/I know you: uhh, uhm, Does the name Agent Noire mean anything to you?
Well, not much RP work from me there, But I hope It's enough to prove I'm not a god-modder...
Warshania wrote:Name: John
Bio: Had a normal childhood, was leaning towards becoming a pc since he was a kid. His occupation doesn't define his life but has definitely affected it.
Personality: Confident, close-minded, logical, honest, encouraging. Capable of leading a team if needed.
IQ: 100
Initiative: 90
RP Sample/UNR pass/I know you: Zombie Rp. It's the only RP I have in NS since I don't RP alot here. I'm fairly experienced in forum Rping. If you want more, I will deliver. Also, Newb here, what is UNR pass?

As said in the OOC, I live in an unusual time zone, so I will probably only be able to post last in each round/event.
Stattr wrote:Name: Rosan Huff
Bio: Was born in london, works in london. She lives with her boyfriend and his younger sister. Both parents dead. Freak car accident.
Personality: Caring, cold, nice, may show mercy depending.
Sanity: 100
Mask: 200?
Will: 100
Initiative: 50
RP Sample/UNR pass/I know you: UNR pass
Len Hyet wrote:Name: Benjamin Silva, dumbass.
Bio: Doctor. Does doctor like thingies.
Personality: Affable, funny, y'know. Not me.
RP Sample/UNR pass/I know you: :rofl:
Last edited by Jormengand on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Jormengand wrote:It would be really meta if I sigged this.

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:01 pm

Change the point pool. Right now we are forced to put the minimum in order to make it work.
OVERLORD Daniel Mercury of Firstaria
Original Author of SC #5 and SC #30

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:02 pm

Firstaria wrote:Change the point pool. Right now we are forced to put the minimum in order to make it work.

What do you mean?

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:03 pm

Mask: Yes, I know what your mask is. I want to know if you know what your mask is.

50 +50 +100 +50 +50 = 300, this means we have only 100 points to distribute, isn't that a little too...little considering how many we can easily lose according to your RP?

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:05 pm

Firstaria wrote:

50 +50 +100 +50 +50 = 300, this means we have only 100 points to distribute, isn't that a little too...little considering how many we can easily lose according to your RP?

You get 50 free IQ points.

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:07 pm

Oh didn't read that, then 150 seems fine, app soon.

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:12 pm

Name: Francis York Morgan
Bio: FBI Agent expert in profiling, facing dangerous criminals and paranormal investigations. He's good at investigating occult...to bad he has bipolar disorder.
Personality: He's Bipolar, but mostly calm. He can look a bit eccentric to normal people

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:18 pm

Firstaria wrote:Name: Francis York Morgan

Accepted!

Republic Of Hell
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic Of Hell » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:18 pm

We get 400 starting points, right?... :blink:

Economic Left/Right: 9.45
Social Authoritarian/Libertarian: 8.78
Foreign Policy Non-Interventionist/Neo-Conservative: -2.03
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -4.68

I am an Anarcho-Capitalist.

Don't believe it when they say they're trying to save us. Why would they bother? They've got exactly what they want exactly where they want it.

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:20 pm

Republic Of Hell wrote:We get 400 starting points, right?... :blink:

Yes, but you get 50 IQ free and you don't have to pay for your mask.
Last edited by Jormengand on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Republic Of Hell
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic Of Hell » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:23 pm

Name: David Harris
Age: 16 (Seeing as how I happen to be a teenager myself, roll wit' it, yo.)
Bio: A highly intelligent man, currently working as a blue-collar pizza delivery boy to fund his college degree.
Personality: He's a high functioning autistic, and as such, not too personable- though he can be. Also has a minor case of depression, but for the most part, he's fairly normal.
Sanity: 75
Mask: 150 then, dammit!
Health: 75
RP Sample/UNR pass/I know you: UNR pass, bro.
Last edited by Republic Of Hell on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Don't believe it when they say they're trying to save us. Why would they bother? They've got exactly what they want exactly where they want it.

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:24 pm

Republic Of Hell wrote:Mask: no

Read the stats part again, and tell me what your mask of sanity is.

Republic Of Hell
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic Of Hell » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:25 pm

Jormengand wrote:
Republic Of Hell wrote:Mask: no

Read the stats part again, and tell me what your mask of sanity is.

I know it's 150... "no" is one character shorter than "150." :lol:

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:26 pm

Republic Of Hell wrote:
Jormengand wrote:Read the stats part again, and tell me what your mask of sanity is.

I know it's 150... "no" is one character shorter than "150." :lol:

Heh. Accepted, then.

Republic Of Hell
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic Of Hell » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:31 pm

Jormengand wrote:Heh. Accepted, then.

BTW, I changed his age, in case you didn't notice and saw it the first time... will that be okay, or does he need to be in his twenties?

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:34 pm

Republic Of Hell wrote:
Jormengand wrote:Heh. Accepted, then.

BTW, I changed his age, in case you didn't notice and saw it the first time... will that be okay, or does he need to be in his twenties?

Nah, that's fine. While stats will need to make sense with age, that should be fine.

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:11 pm

Changed a bit in the rules; If you have a ranged weapon you use your INI to attack and your HEA to defend. Melee weapons remain the other way round. This is mainly for sense-making purposes. Are we all clear? Any questions about anything?
Last edited by Jormengand on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Harkback Union » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:43 pm

Name: Ethel Walter (Subject to change)
Bio: Lost his entire family in a train crash at the age of 12. She was one of the few survivors of the accident. She was raised by foster parents. She has been working as a librarian for the last 6 years.
Personality: Depressed, Speaks Very little to others and prefers being alone. Obsessed with books
RP Sample/UNR pass/I know you: uhh, uhm, Does the name Agent Noire mean anything to you?
Well, not much RP work from me there, But I hope It's enough to prove I'm not a god-modder...

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:46 pm

Harkback Union wrote:Name: Ethel Walter (Subject to change)
Bio: Lost his entire family in a train crash at the age of 12. She was one of the few survivors of the accident. She was raised by foster parents. She has been working as a librarian for the last 6 years.

In Descend, one cannot godmod. I almost counted your mask when adding up your points. Accepted.

Warshania
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Warshania » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:08 am

Name: John
Sex: Yes pls Male
Bio: Had a normal childhood, was leaning towards becoming a pc since he was a kid. His occupation doesn't define his life but has definitely affected it.
Personality: Confident, close-minded, logical, honest, encouraging. Capable of leading a team if needed.
Initiative: 90
RP Sample/UNR pass/I know you: Zombie Rp. It's the only RP I have in NS since I don't RP alot here. I'm fairly experienced in forum Rping. If you want more, I will deliver. Also, Newb here, what is UNR pass?

As said in the OOC, I live in an unusual time zone, so I will probably only be able to post last in each round/event.
Last edited by Warshania on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor

Political test results

Stattr
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Stattr » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:23 am

Name: Rosan Huff
Sex: yes pls Female
Bio: Was born in london, works in london. She lives with her boyfriend and his younger sister. Both parents dead. Freak car accident.
Sanity: 48.5
Mask: 100
Health: 49.3
IQ: erm...100.2
Will: 60
RP Sample/UNR pass/I know you: 'flips UNR pass.' :D

Did I pass?
Last edited by Stattr on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The world is full of stupid people, get used to it."
Pasong Tirad wrote:Heresy. The earth is flat. It's evening everywhere. Stattr needs to be guillotined.

Hlad:And after that?
Ethel: She is moving in with you, you will equip a throne room for her, and bring her rose petals everyday. You shall dress in a french maid's outfit, and only speak english with a bad french accent.
Drown wrote:
The balkens wrote:Why hello fellow privileged manape.

A cordial salutations towards a fellow scholar of the mythical 'White Privilege'

I am a 100% authentic D&D nerd. I love me some Barbs <3

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:21 am

Warshania wrote:Name: John
Sex: Yes pls Male
Sanity: 100
Mask: 120 (100 + 20) (he is an honest guy, so only a few pts go there)
Health: 110
Will: 70

Woah! How did you get 110 health? And what is up with your mask?

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:25 am

Stattr wrote:Name: Rosan Huff
Sex: yes pls Female
Sanity: 48.5
Mask: 100
Health: 49.3
IQ: erm...100.2
Will: 60
RP Sample/UNR pass/I know you: 'flips UNR pass.' :D

Did I pass?

You've only spent 278 of your points, your points must be whole numbers and your mask needs to be worked out again.

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 25, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Len Hyet » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:14 am

Name: Benjamin Silva, dumbass.
Bio: Doctor. Does doctor like thingies.
Personality: Affable, funny, y'know. Not me.
RP Sample/UNR pass/I know you: :rofl:
Last edited by Len Hyet on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
=][= Founder, 1st NSG Irregulars. Our Militia is Well Regulated and Well Lubricated!
On a formerly defunct now re-declared one-man campaign to elevate the discourse of you heathens.
American 2L. No I will not answer your legal question.

Republic Of Hell
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic Of Hell » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:15 am

Len Hyet wrote:IQ: 170

CLEAR THE UNIVERSITY FLOOR, WE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse