NATION

PASSWORD

Houses of Thault: Character-Driven Storytelling (OOC/OPEN)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Odith
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Odith wrote:I'll post about currency later.

Later is now.

The Bank of Mardogar is in the process of introducing the flesh throughout the empire. This is a four-color banknote, paper money threaded with fibers, printed on woodblock presses. It was introduced in Gar province in 1098, and over the past 13 years has been implemented in the provinces of Hon, Guna, and Soltse, to the south and southeast of Gar. It is printed in three denominations: talon string, claw string, and tooth string, referring to strings of 100 coins.

Before the flesh was introduced, the three coin types -- gold talon, silver claw, copper tooth -- were the standard currency within the empire. The coins are still extant, given as change during transactions; however, people no longer need to carry around cumbersome strings of coins. Each coin is shaped like its namesake with a hole drilled through so that coins of like mintage can be strung together; hence the designations of flesh as talon string, claw string, and tooth string.

On a related note, I was thinking one way to handle money would be to, rather than keeping an accounting ledger of cash on hand for each character, have each character assign an appropriate rank and die type to a skill called "resources" or something similar. We'd assume that characters have enough cash on hand to pay for daily expenses such as lodging, food, maintenance of gear, and what-have-you. The resource skill would come into play if someone was looking for a rare item or was attempting to purchase something expensive. I know that at least one of you has already assigned your character a "bartering" skill. If everyone agrees that a resource skill is something we'd like to use, it would replace any skill like bartering. What do you think?
Last edited by Odith on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Anybody who is stupid enough to want to be remembered deserves to be forgotten right now."
-Gore Vidal

My nation is a caricature. Philosophically, I'm a cooperative anarchist. I live in the United States, though, so in practice I just vote Democrat and call it good. Political Compass.

Egrek
Envoy

Founded: Nov 29, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Egrek » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:50 pm

Odith wrote:Back to Korvin. This is good:

Egrek wrote:Korvin Kuchen was born the second child of a lowly baker associated with the declining house of Thaultkal. As he came of age, Korvin searched for work outside the bakery. As several mines changed hands from House Thaultkal to House Darab, Korvin found a job pushing carts from these mines to alchemists of House Darab. Korvin hopes to find an apprenticeship to a metalworker or an alchemist so that one day he will be the one receiving the deliveries from the mines, instead of the one making them.

His family is insignificant within House Thaultkal, so no one minds or really notices when he slips away. His goals are humble, so he's not likely to attract attention. Question: what is his relationship like with his family? Does he still see them or has he cut ties? If he still sees them, has he encountered any difficulty traveling between houses? What are his parents' and siblings' attitudes towards him? The answers to these questions don't need to be incorporated into your character sheet, but they will lend some extra depth to your character and the possibly the inter-house politics, so please do consider them and write a response.
As far as the job pushing carts goes, that's tough work. I had in mind that House Darab is cultivating saltpeter in the old mines they bought from House Thaultkul, so we'll assume that he's transporting that. Nasty business.

Egrek wrote:Korvin's faicial hair is mostly like this picture:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=braided+sideburns&view=detail&id=24B341A74C2D7824BF48DC7F0E444D640ED1B954
With the braids connecting at his chin like in this one:
http://www.ilyke.net/braid-beard/9903
He has a little more hair than the first and it happens to be the same color as the second. I belive an appropiate adjective to describe his appearance would be scruffy.

Okay, that works. Thanks for clarifying.

Egrek wrote:Very focused with an excellent memory, Korvin prefers to finish one task before starting another, and when interrupted usually returns later to finish what he started. Korvin rarely picks a fight without a clear goal in mind, but often remembers slights long after the fact.

He's methodical, persistent, thoughtful, and holds a grudge. Got it.

Egrek wrote:Korvin Kuchen has …
Decent strength (d12)
Commonplace agility (d12)
Excellent health (d8)
Mediocre knowledge of the world (d12)
Pretty good perception (d12)
Impressive sanity (d10)

This is all good.

Egrek wrote:Korvin Kuchen is…
A courier in the city (d10)
A decent cook (d12)
Practiced at crochet (d12)
An average singer (d12)
A fair dancer (d12)
A competent wrestler (d12)
An improviser of knots (d20)
A carrier of supplies for apothecaries, miners, and smiths (d20)
A dabbler in acrobatics and tumbling (d20)
Illiterate (d30)

Alright, and I appreciate you ranking them from best to worst. I think you've picked up on something with "illiterate"; although I haven't stated it explicitly, literacy is common throughout Garmorgia. Looks like you are planning to have Korvin be an agile unarmed combatant. That's got flavor.
:)

Egrek wrote:Korvin Kuchen carries…
A haversack with:
A canteen of boiled water
A crochet hook
A skein of coarse woollen yarn
A coil of rope

Have to say that I like that this guy crochets and carries his yarn around.
APPROVED, but please do write a response to the questions about his family.
Korvin very much has one foot falling off the bottom rung on the Thaultkal ladder and the other foot landing on the bottom rung of the Darab ladder.

Korvin still sleeps on a straw mat in the family bakery and carries home a bundle of firewood each day after work. His family would prefer he get a job with House Thaultkal, Thaultru, or even Borvang; but at least he hasn't fallen in with that nasty House Taggud or House Vund. His family expected he would amount to nothing and that is just what he has done so far.
His connection with House Thaultkal, the former owner of the mines, gave the flavor of a package deal to his new job with House Darab. Buy the mines and hire some workers to go with them.
He is moderately favored in: Darab, Thaultkal
moderately disfavored in: Thaultru, Borvang
near conflict with: Taggud, Vund

Also, is Garmorgian society patriarchal, matriarchal, or egalitarian? What different roles do men and women have? I have kept my discriptions ambiguous so far.

A Resource stat seems good to me. Korvin is quite poor and would probably be a (d30) on that.
Last edited by Egrek on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Egrek wrote:

You get THREE GOLD STARS for returning to the thread topic!
Gbrxpsykldnq wrote:... (Kudos to Egrek and Sierra Lobo for actually thinking.).
Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Egrek wrote:

This doesn't make sense at all.
Idealismania wrote:
Egrek wrote:Your reasoning is quite good. The only major dissagreement I have is with your premise:
Life is not an impersonal test. It is a chance to build a relationship with God. Finding God lasts a lifetime. Living with God lasts an eternity.

I like this reply a lot :clap:
Wisconsin7 wrote:And Egrek owns the [3] fifth graders souls.
I hereby commit the souls of the [3] fifth graders to God's care.

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:57 pm

Egrek wrote:Korvin very much has one foot falling off the bottom rung on the Thaultkal ladder and the other foot landing on the bottom rung of the Darab ladder.

Korvin still sleeps on a straw mat in the family bakery and carries home a bundle of firewood each day after work. His family would prefer he get a job with House Thaultkal, Thaultru, or even Borvang; but at least he hasn't fallen in with that nasty House Taggud or House Vund. His family expected he would amount to nothing and that is just what he has done so far.

Okay.

Egrek wrote:His connection with House Thaultkal, the former owner of the mines, gave the flavor of a package deal to his new job with House Darab. Buy the mines and hire some workers to go with them.

Good. So we will assume that he is not the only one who has "transferred" from Thaultkal to Darab with the passing of the mines. This gives a feeling of human degradation and indentured servitude, which fits in with Garmorgian savagery; life is cheap, and can be bought and sold.

Egrek wrote:He is moderately favored in: Darab, Thaultkal

Hmmm. Not so sure about all of this; after all, Korvin is basically a nobody. Thaultkal doesn't notice that he's gone, or if they do, they don't care. Likewise with Darab -- he's a lowly cart pusher, working with saltpeter (also called niter, below), a substance that is cultivated from waste matter -- garbage, feces, urine:

Niter-beds are prepared by mixing manure with either mortar or wood ashes, common earth and organic materials such as straw to give porosity to a compost pile typically 1.5×2×5 meters in size. [10] The heap was usually under a cover from the rain, kept moist with urine, turned often to accelerate the decomposition, then finally leached with water after approximately one year, to remove the soluble calcium nitrate. Dung-heaps were a particularly common source: they contain ammonia from the decomposition of urea and other nitrogenous materials. It then undergoes bacterial oxidation (first by means of the Nitrosomonas bacteria) to produce (calcium) nitrite, and then (by means of the Spirobacter bacteria) to produce (calcium) nitrate. It is then converted to potassium nitrate by filtering through the potash of wood ashes.

Note: the above is a fairly modern scientific description of saltpeter cultivation from wikipedia. No Garmorgian would have that scientific insight; hence the "garbage, feces, urine" method. All of that good stuff gets dumped into a mine to ferment over a period of months (time passing differently in this milieu, with months being 64 days long), and then is carted out by Korvin and his cohort.

While we're talking about his wonderful job, how would you feel about Korvin, rather than pushing carts, driving a team of horses that pulls the carts? It would be more efficient for House Darab and less soul-crushing and filthy for Korvin. Keep in mind that the mines are some leagues south of the city.

Egrek wrote:Also, is Garmorgian society patriarchal, matriarchal, or egalitarian? What different roles do men and women have?

Excellent question; I love being asked stuff like this, by the way. We know that the Garmorgians are belligerent and aggressive, and although everyone, both male and female, has been socially conditioned by the Ku, it is a patriarchal society. Women are "kept" as wives and mothers and often looked upon as property. Some girls -- often orphans or bought children -- are trained from childhood to become courtesans or assassins, and sometimes both, in the various houses. Unmarried women can have a variety of roles -- craftswoman, merchant, baker, courier, banker, alchemist, liaison between houses or with the ku, and even lord -- but they face difficult challenges to prove themselves as capable as men.

Men have an easier time making their way independently in society, and may fulfill any role; however, they are limited by the circumstances of their birth, and upward mobility is difficult. Someone like Korvin then, would never become a lord of a house; at best, he might ascend to the rank of alchemist or blacksmith, unless someone from a higher station intervened on his behalf. Benefactors and mentors like this are not unheard of, but they are rare, and they always have an agenda that belies altruism.

The above is a first essay into the Garmorgian social hierarchy. I'm open to feedback.

Egrek wrote:A Resource stat seems good to me. Korvin is quite poor and would probably be a (d30) on that.

One vote for the resource skill, then. And a d30 sounds about right for Korvin.
"Anybody who is stupid enough to want to be remembered deserves to be forgotten right now."
-Gore Vidal

My nation is a caricature. Philosophically, I'm a cooperative anarchist. I live in the United States, though, so in practice I just vote Democrat and call it good. Political Compass.

Egrek
Envoy

New York Times Democracy

Postby Egrek » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:27 am

Odith wrote:
Egrek wrote:He is moderately favored in: Darab, Thaultkal

Hmmm. Not so sure about all of this; after all, Korvin is basically a nobody. Thaultkal doesn't notice that he's gone, or if they do, they don't care. Likewise with Darab -- he's a lowly cart pusher, working with saltpeter (also called niter, below), a substance that is cultivated from waste matter -- garbage, feces, urine:

Yes, right, I was thinking out loud from Korvin's perspective and was not too clear. It is more a measure of how he views, and expects to be recieved by, the followers of those houses in his own social class. Those higher-up on the social ladder add their feelings of class to their feelings of house making Korvin even more unwelcome. If Korvin is looking for a higher grade of yarn from a middle class merchant he will shop first with those likely to tolerate his presence and not throw him out on sight.
Also note there is no house in which Korvin feels truly accepted. He has a case of unhomeliness.
Odith wrote:While we're talking about his wonderful job, how would you feel about Korvin, rather than pushing carts, driving a team of horses that pulls the carts? It would be more efficient for House Darab and less soul-crushing and filthy for Korvin. Keep in mind that the mines are some leagues south of the city.

Works for me, but how involved would he be in the care of the horses? If the answer is very, I smell another place Korvin might sleep if he wants to get away from home or keep an eye on those valuable horses. How large is this stable? I expect the manure gets carted to the mines?

If House Darab is going for efficiency, Korvin would likely make at least two trips a day. In the morning he drives down with men and equipment to the mines and takes a load of saltpeter back to the city. In mid-day he delivers the saltpeter and picks up a load of garbage and sewage for the mine, perhaps the contents of chamber pots are thrown in by servants as he goes on a circuit around town. In the evening he then returns to the mine where the rubbish is unloaded and the workers ride back into Thault. If the workers live at the mines Korvin could bring supplies or more rubbish in the morning and another load of saltpeter in the evening. Depending on the size of the mines he might visit a different one each day of the week, or just serve one. Scratch that, it simplifies the storytelling to treat all the mines belonging to House Darab as essentially the same place. We can single them out latter if we need to.
Odith wrote:
Egrek wrote:Also, is Garmorgian society patriarchal, matriarchal, or egalitarian? What different roles do men and women have?

Excellent question; I love being asked stuff like this, by the way. We know that the Garmorgians are belligerent and aggressive, and although everyone, both male and female, has been socially conditioned by the Ku, it is a patriarchal society. Women are "kept" as wives and mothers and often looked upon as property. Some girls -- often orphans or bought children -- are trained from childhood to become courtesans or assassins, and sometimes both, in the various houses. Unmarried women can have a variety of roles -- craftswoman, merchant, baker, courier, banker, alchemist, liaison between houses or with the ku, and even lord -- but they face difficult challenges to prove themselves as capable as men.

Men have an easier time making their way independently in society, and may fulfill any role; however, they are limited by the circumstances of their birth, and upward mobility is difficult. Someone like Korvin then, would never become a lord of a house; at best, he might ascend to the rank of alchemist or blacksmith, unless someone from a higher station intervened on his behalf. Benefactors and mentors like this are not unheard of, but they are rare, and they always have an agenda that belies altruism.

The above is a first essay into the Garmorgian social hierarchy. I'm open to feedback.
Good, so Korvin has an older brother and, let's say, three sisters, one might have been bought and trianed by one of the houses. Korvin should save his copper teeth if he wants to afford a wife. When he goes into a shop he can exspect more respect from a female proprietor than from a male proprietor.
The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Egrek wrote:

Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Egrek wrote:

Idealismania wrote:
Egrek wrote:Your reasoning is quite good. The only major dissagreement I have is with your premise:
Life is not an impersonal test. It is a chance to build a relationship with God. Finding God lasts a lifetime. Living with God lasts an eternity.

Memnoch de Marbulia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Memnoch de Marbulia » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:02 am

This is very interesting.
I would like to be a secretive, cutthroat, tactical genius with political aspirations and battle dispositions that has a small very loyal following mainly due to manipulation and blackmail but also because they respect his skill and accomplishments and are slightly frightened by his ruthlessness and notoriety.
Last edited by Memnoch de Marbulia on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Landenburg wrote:
Memnoch de Marbulia wrote:I swear. Rpers are the naughtiest people.

You too are a roleplayer...are you saying....are you saying you're naughty? :eyebrow:

:rofl:

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:35 am

Egrek wrote:Works for me, but how involved would he be in the care of the horses? If the answer is very, I smell another place Korvin might sleep if he wants to get away from home or keep an eye on those valuable horses. How large is this stable? I expect the manure gets carted to the mines?

If you'd like him to be involved in the care of the horses, then he can be. You will need to add a new skill related to horses, maybe two, to cover handling and grooming. Let's assume the stable is quite large and one of many. House Darab owns many horses, some of them much more favored than others. Korvin, naturally, would be involved in the upkeep of some of the basest of these animals.

Egrek wrote:If House Darab is going for efficiency, Korvin would likely make at least two trips a day. In the morning he drives down with men and equipment to the mines and takes a load of saltpeter back to the city. In mid-day he delivers the saltpeter and picks up a load of garbage and sewage for the mine, perhaps the contents of chamber pots are thrown in by servants as he goes on a circuit around town. In the evening he then returns to the mine where the rubbish is unloaded and the workers ride back into Thault. If the workers live at the mines Korvin could bring supplies or more rubbish in the morning and another load of saltpeter in the evening. Depending on the size of the mines he might visit a different one each day of the week, or just serve one. Scratch that, it simplifies the storytelling to treat all the mines belonging to House Darab as essentially the same place. We can single them out latter if we need to.

Sounds good.

Egrek wrote:Good, so Korvin has an older brother and, let's say, three sisters, one might have been bought and trianed by one of the houses. Korvin should save his copper teeth if he wants to afford a wife. When he goes into a shop he can exspect more respect from a female proprietor than from a male proprietor.

Good and yes.
-Gore Vidal

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:55 am

Memnoch de Marbulia wrote:This is very interesting.
I would like to be a secretive, cutthroat, tactical genius with political aspirations and battle dispositions that has a small very loyal following mainly due to manipulation and blackmail but also because they respect his skill and accomplishments and are slightly frightened by his ruthlessness and notoriety.

Hmmm. We need to think about how such a character would fit in with the others. So far we've got a toiling peasant, an alchemist, an assassin, and a guard. In terms of story, we can link the peasant and the alchemist through the saltpeter connection, and can likely work out a connection between the assassin and the guard. Thinking about it now, we can also make a connection between Wetclin, the guard, and Korvin, the peasant. You're proposing a character who seems to be in a different league than these others, and we can already see a fair bit of class discrepancy between them.

The character that you are proposing might work, and might help to unite the characters and get the story moving, but do keep in mind that all characters are starting out green. Certainly have your character aspire to great things, but also fit him into the atmosphere, which is one of personal struggle towards aspirations. Another way of putting all of that is: make him secretive and cutthroat. He'll have to position himself politically to become the tactical genius that he wants to become. While he may well have a knack for commanding, his story will first focus on acquiring opportunities in which to test and prove his skill.

Also, I'll put it to the other actors who have come forward so far with character applications: how do you all feel about a character like this and how do you see your character relating to him?
Last edited by Odith on Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Gore Vidal

Egrek
Envoy

New York Times Democracy

Postby Egrek » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:40 pm

Odith wrote:
Egrek wrote:Works for me, but how involved would he be in the care of the horses? If the answer is very, I smell another place Korvin might sleep if he wants to get away from home or keep an eye on those valuable horses. How large is this stable? I expect the manure gets carted to the mines?

If you'd like him to be involved in the care of the horses, then he can be. You will need to add a new skill related to horses, maybe two, to cover handling and grooming. Let's assume the stable is quite large and one of many. House Darab owns many horses, some of them much more favored than others. Korvin, naturally, would be involved in the upkeep of some of the basest of these animals.

Egrek wrote:If House Darab is going for efficiency, Korvin would likely make at least two trips a day. In the morning he drives down with men and equipment to the mines and takes a load of saltpeter back to the city. In mid-day he delivers the saltpeter and picks up a load of garbage and sewage for the mine, perhaps the contents of chamber pots are thrown in by servants as he goes on a circuit around town. In the evening he then returns to the mine where the rubbish is unloaded and the workers ride back into Thault. If the workers live at the mines Korvin could bring supplies or more rubbish in the morning and another load of saltpeter in the evening. Let's have the workers live in the city. Depending on the size of the mines he might visit a different one each day of the week, or just serve one. Scratch that, it simplifies the storytelling to treat all the mines belonging to House Darab as essentially the same place. We can single them out latter if we need to.

Sounds good.

Egrek wrote:Good, so Korvin has an older brother and, let's say, three sisters, one might have been bought and trianed by one of the houses. Korvin should save his copper teeth if he wants to afford a wife. When he goes into a shop he can exspect more respect from a female proprietor than from a male proprietor.

Good and yes.
Alright, I think I will also add shoveling as a skill mostly for manure, but also for hay, saltpeter, etc.
Korvin Kuchen is...
An average shoveler (d12)
A decent horse driver (d12)
A beginner groom (d20)

Odith wrote:
Memnoch de Marbulia wrote:This is very interesting.
Hmmm. We need to think about how such a character would fit in with the others. So far we've got a toiling peasant, an alchemist, an assassin, and a guard. In terms of story, we can link the peasant and the alchemist through the saltpeter connection, and can likely work out a connection between the assassin and the guard. Thinking about it now, we can also make a connection between Wetclin, the guard, and Korvin, the peasant. You're proposing a character who seems to be in a different league than these others, and we can already see a fair bit of class discrepancy between them.

The character that you are proposing might work, and might help to unite the characters and get the story moving, but do keep in mind that all characters are starting out green. Certainly have your character aspire to great things, but also fit him into the atmosphere, which is one of personal struggle towards aspirations. Another way of putting all of that is: make him secretive and cutthroat. He'll have to position himself politically to become the tactical genius that he wants to become. While he may well have a knack for commanding, his story will first focus on acquiring opportunities in which to test and prove his skill.
Also, I'll put it to the other actors who have come forward so far with character applications: how do you all feel about a character like this and how do you see your character relating to him?
I think this is excactly the kind of "someone from a higher station" Korvin hopes to have "intervened on his behalf." A low-level aristocrat in House Darab would be ideal to reach down through the classes to find the most loyal followers and bring them under his banner, whatever that may be.

Lowly Korvin has little to blackmail, but would be well inclined to follow any aristocrat who took a personal interrest and made Korvin a part of his band. Respect of nobility, skill, and fear could earn Korvin's loyalty; add a drop of mutual respect to make it unquenchable.
This makes me think a loyalty skill might be in order, but then I think that is going overboard with the numbers.

Korvin's daily movement around the city with a cart might prove invaluable to a secretive genius with political aspirations.
The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Egrek wrote:

Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Egrek wrote:

Idealismania wrote:

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:31 am

Egrek wrote: Lowly Korvin has little to blackmail, but would be well inclined to follow any aristocrat who took a personal interrest and made Korvin a part of his band. Respect of nobility, skill, and fear could earn Korvin's loyalty; add a drop of mutual respect to make it unquenchable.

Ok, good. One vote for Memnoch's character idea. Everyone else? Please reply by the end of the day Monday. I'm having a hard time telling if interest is waning or if people are just busy.

Egrek wrote:This makes me think a loyalty skill might be in order, but then I think that is going overboard with the numbers.

Nah, I think we can RP loyalty without making it a skill.
-Gore Vidal

The Quadruple Alliance
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Quadruple Alliance » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:33 am

I am replying by the end of Monday.

I'm still here, lurking. =|:}P
My nation into a setting for a RPG video game that I am programming. If thou wishes to know more, click the link!!
Roleplaying as Third World. Please take all economic statistics from trackers and divide by ten.
Madness is a Virtue (Formerly Walrusfolk Eurarcta)!!

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:12 am

The Quadruple Alliance wrote:I am replying by the end of Monday.

Thanks. How do you feel about Memnoch's proposed character and how do you see Gharthov relating to him?
-Gore Vidal

The Quadruple Alliance
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Quadruple Alliance » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:13 am

Odith wrote:
The Quadruple Alliance wrote:I am replying by the end of Monday.

Thanks. How do you feel about Memnoch's proposed character and how do you see Gharthov relating to him?

I have no opinion either way, as I do not know how "followers" would work in this game. But, overall, I can see how someone with political aspirations could fit in with the rest of the group cohesively. After all, securing alchemists who are experimenting with fire dust WOULD be necessary for gaining power within this House in particular.
My nation into a setting for a RPG video game that I am programming. If thou wishes to know more, click the link!!
Roleplaying as Third World. Please take all economic statistics from trackers and divide by ten.

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:20 pm

The Quadruple Alliance wrote:I have no opinion either way, as I do not know how "followers" would work in this game. But, overall, I can see how someone with political aspirations could fit in with the rest of the group cohesively. After all, securing alchemists who are experimenting with fire dust WOULD be necessary for gaining power within this House in particular.

I think what we are looking at here is Memnoch's character being the leader of the group, and the rest of the characters, for various reasons, finding themselves drawn to him; in that sense, the other characters are the "followers". So how do you feel about that? Garthov being a follower, being under another character's command?
-Gore Vidal

The Quadruple Alliance
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Quadruple Alliance » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:36 pm

Odith wrote:
The Quadruple Alliance wrote:I have no opinion either way, as I do not know how "followers" would work in this game. But, overall, I can see how someone with political aspirations could fit in with the rest of the group cohesively. After all, securing alchemists who are experimenting with fire dust WOULD be necessary for gaining power within this House in particular.

I think what we are looking at here is Memnoch's character being the leader of the group, and the rest of the characters, for various reasons, finding themselves drawn to him; in that sense, the other characters are the "followers". So how do you feel about that? Garthov being a follower, being under another character's command?

In Character: Could care less who's in charge, as long as I can EXPERIMENT!! Mwahahahaha!!

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:49 pm

Alright. I'm still waiting to hear from Murgoth and Procastitania on this. It would be good if we all discuss how the characters will relate to each other. I wrote earlier:

Odith wrote:In terms of story, we can link the peasant and the alchemist through the saltpeter connection, and can likely work out a connection between the assassin and the guard. Thinking about it now, we can also make a connection between Wetclin, the guard, and Korvin, the peasant.

Agree/disagree? Other ideas? Please discuss.

We'll assume that, if Memnoch goes forward with character creation, he'll be the unifying force -- an aspiring tactician coming out of left field and hoping to impress the Lords of Darab through the manipulation and command of the rest of the characters.
-Gore Vidal

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:11 am

Okay, well...

I did say in my OP that I intended to move slowly with this RP, so I'll just assume that people are moving slowly, and that's fine. I'm going to go ahead and start an IC thread within the next few days, focused on Garthov and Korvin, and then others can join in when they are ready.
-Gore Vidal

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:47 pm

Quad: For the initial IC post, I need to know what kind of experiments you plan for Garthov to be working on so that I can assign a target number to the roll.
-Gore Vidal

The Quadruple Alliance
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Quadruple Alliance » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:16 pm

Odith wrote:Quad: For the initial IC post, I need to know what kind of experiments you plan for Garthov to be working on so that I can assign a target number to the roll.

Primitive Rocketry. Rolling fire-dust compactly into paper tubing, with a dust-and-rope fuse running into the center, forcing energy from the burning powder out the end of the tube. Experiments shall be, technically speaking, to direct the energy of fire-dust burning.
Last edited by The Quadruple Alliance on Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:47 pm

Okay, the first IC post is up along with some rules.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=203541

First post concerns Garthov. I haven't forgotten about Korvin. I should be able to put something else up by the weekend.
-Gore Vidal

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:17 pm

Okay, Egrek, first post for Korvin is up in the IC thread. Sorry for the delay.
-Gore Vidal

Egrek
Envoy

New York Times Democracy

Postby Egrek » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:17 pm

The IC looks great. I will have my response up by Friday.
The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Egrek wrote:

Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Egrek wrote:

Idealismania wrote:

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:30 pm

Egrek wrote:The IC looks great. I will have my response up by Friday.

Okay, that's good. Thanks for the update.

Applications are still open, btw. Anyone who is interested is encouraged to apply. I'd also love to see more from Murgoth, Procastitania, and Memnoch.
-Gore Vidal

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:16 pm

I started a wiki to organize the lore. I'll also be putting character sheets up on that site for easier access. Check it out.
-Gore Vidal

Odith
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Odith » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:21 am

The two current characters are up on the wiki:

Korvin Kuchen
Garthov Thikavar

I added the resource "skill" to each and made some minor changes to Garthov's gear list. Currency and ingredients of fire dust are now specified.
-Gore Vidal

The Blazing Aura
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 04, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby The Blazing Aura » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:19 pm

as promised here I am

Thoren Dissaver

Thoren has only reached were he is now through three things, practice, experience and equipment, and those three things have been provided by House Vund aplenty. Put simply Thorne is an assassin, it's been his one true job since being connected to House Vund in the early years of his life that he remembers little to nothing about. Thoren is motivated by a greed that comes with the rich pickings of his targets, and their possessions, along with the healthy sum of money or new equipment he is given for every correct job done. Whilst Thoren's goals may seem simple as an assassin there is still a curious part of him that wants to know what he started as, and how he became connected to House Vund in his early years.

1 paragraph describing the character's appearance and personality. Thoren stands just below six foot tall (5'11''), weighing in at 198lb's slightly heavier than average he is still extremely agile. Thoren has coal black hair melts into his long sideburns that run down either side of his face, stopping level with his lower lip and brown eyes that seem to watch people like a hawk, Thoren's skin has more of a greyish tinge than normal, making his other features both stand out and hide at the same time, making most people look at him once and then ignore him. Thoren generally shows no mercy to anybody, and is exceptionally ruthless and aggressive, but he is able to keep all that in until the right time, often exploding into a show of power before pulling back in again. Thoren's mind is very quick, able to think up different strategies for his 'jobs' and see the pros and cons to them, often able to store several plans in his head at once as a backup in case something goes wrong.

Thoren Dissaver
Above average strength (d10)
Highly skilled agility (d8)
High level of health (d8)
Average knowledge of the world (d12)
Impressive perception (d10)
Average sanity (d12)

Thoren Dissaver
An Excellent Marksmen (d8)
a master sword fighter (d6)
a decent poisoner (d12)
a rubbish equestrian (d30)
an elegant freerunner (d8) (if allowed)
a below average socialiser (d20) (can't think of a better word)
a natural tactician (d8)
a decent blacksmith (d12)
Financially secure (d12)
A right 'n' proper Sneaky git (very stealthy) (d8)

Thoren Dissaver
A Quiver with
Compsite bow
Arrows
Two one handed swords (dual wielded in a special pocket)
Two throwing daggers (special sheaths on the front strap of the quiver)

A belt with
A sling
some stones
three vials of poison
A bundle of Garmorgian banknotes
Scraps of bread (for when he needs to eat)

On his person
Hooded cloak (only put's hood up when he doesn't want to be seen, eg when ion a job) (over everything else)
sturdy leather boots
padded leather leggings (bit of protection on them)
leather tunic, long sleeved
Padded leather chest piece.
bracers on both arms
thin leather gloves

Hope this is Ok.
Last edited by The Blazing Aura on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Jormengand wrote:
The Blazing Aura wrote:aah f***

Nice 3000'th post.

that just makes it better.

Keep it alive!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse