NATION

PASSWORD

The Walking Dead RP [OOC][OPEN, EP. 4 STARTED]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:00 pm

Dilange, since the RP is going so slowly anyway, I don't think people will notice your char in this episode. Mind if I move his first appearance as part of the opener for next episode?
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Phonencia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Phonencia » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:24 pm

Nexeria wrote:So, will the RP be up before next week is up?

Oh, and Verk has told me his plans to level out Stryker's morality.

I look forward to hearing his excuses for serial murder...

Camicon wrote:
Virenna wrote:
Bit of an understatement you've got there :blink:

And an understatement of his goals. He repeatedly and emphatically stated that his goal was to exterminate Jews. Full stop. He didn't try and make any excuses, or justify it in any reasonable way (he saved that for when he was slaughtering gays, Roma, etc). He just wanted them dead and gone, for no other reason than he didn't like them. All that talk about advancing the sciences, the arts, and making a better and stronger people, is total bullshit. He could've done all that, sans World War II; he didn't because he was a power-hungry megalomaniac with a penchant for genocide. That man's complete and total psychopathy cannot be overstated.

Okay so maybe not the best analogy but you get the point I'm trying to make. Villains should have a decent reason for their villainy or else it detracts from the character and plot.
Unified diversity
Functioning as one body
Every part encouraged by the other
No one independent of another
Irreplaceable
Indispensable
You're incredible
Incredible...

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:31 pm

Phonencia wrote:
Camicon wrote:And an understatement of his goals. He repeatedly and emphatically stated that his goal was to exterminate Jews. Full stop. He didn't try and make any excuses, or justify it in any reasonable way (he saved that for when he was slaughtering gays, Roma, etc). He just wanted them dead and gone, for no other reason than he didn't like them. All that talk about advancing the sciences, the arts, and making a better and stronger people, is total bullshit. He could've done all that, sans World War II; he didn't because he was a power-hungry megalomaniac with a penchant for genocide. That man's complete and total psychopathy cannot be overstated.

Okay so maybe not the best analogy but you get the point I'm trying to make. Villains should have a decent reason for their villainy or else it detracts from the character and plot.

"Some men just want to watch the world burn." - Alfred Pennyworth
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Prospect Landings
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Prospect Landings » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Phonencia wrote:
Nexeria wrote:So, will the RP be up before next week is up?

Oh, and Verk has told me his plans to level out Stryker's morality.

Shelton's an unrepentant torturer and murderer of a 14 year old boy. So...
Goin' back to Tangier, with some Jordans and a Spear

Chernarusk
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernarusk » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:30 pm

This open? If so could I be filled in on any basic details or any special interests you have in new characters?
What? My name sounds like the map in Day Z? I didn't even notice...weird. -_-

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:51 pm

Chernarusk wrote:This open? If so could I be filled in on any basic details or any special interests you have in new characters?

No military/former military characters; and talk to Verkaria, who has a band of survivors separate from the main group, who are currently NPCs and should be filled out first.
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
mumblemumblemumble

Phonencia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Phonencia » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:20 pm

Prospect Landings wrote:
Phonencia wrote:

15 I thought, and Stryker is an unrepentant torturer and murderer of a 17 year old boy and uncounted dozens of others.
Unified diversity
Functioning as one body
Every part encouraged by the other
No one independent of another
Irreplaceable
Indispensable
You're incredible
Incredible...

Prospect Landings
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Prospect Landings » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:02 pm

Phonencia wrote:
Prospect Landings wrote:

15 I thought, and Stryker is an unrepentant torturer and murderer of a 17 year old boy and uncounted dozens of others.

Is it more evil to torture a fourteen year old over a fifteen year old child? They'll be a point, very close the way this roleplay is heading, where this sort of macabre calculus will be pushed to its logical extreme, and then break.

I think the central narrative conflict is between villains and the degrees to which separate them. The only real constant for the Walking Dead is that this is a world without laws, governance, or order. This is the new American frontier, the land of take as you want, do as you please, hurt those who must be, and neither side has the will to change this.

Both sides practice a cruel Hammurabi facsimile of justice, further propelling all of our characters into a cycle of inescapable violence. As Esmore illustrates, quoting Shylock: "The scales of justice ain't evenly weighted out, the shit they pulled on the kid. No, Stryker, you know me an' the men be loyal to you no matter what, but we need to extract a pound of their flesh, that'll be the fee." Both groups practice, with varying levels of acceptance, this mantra. You take my eye, I take your leg, you take my leg, and take your life, your friend's life, and anyone else you loved. Textually, Shelton and Stryker are remarkably similar in their execution of their idea of justice. Both leaders make moves to cease fighting out a practicality, not out of a desire to end the conflict, but to maintain their strength to continue fighting again. Remarkably, the increasingly marginalized zombies are one of only stabilizing elements in this roleplay, that, and Virenna's character Nick.

It's important to remember that Shelton has been set up as the moral superior, not within the story, but through this meta thread. if we were to look at the character of Shelton solely through the prism of the In Character thread, the subject because infinitely more dreary. He's consistently been portrayed as a distinctly "ultra-violent" individual. He quite literally fights fire with more fire, during the first battle with Stryker:

Phonencia wrote:Shelton snarled and lashed out toward Kenny, throwing him to the floor in a burst of violence that was completely unlike him.
"SHUT THE FUCK UP!"
he roared, his face strained into a fierce scowl.
"THAT MOTHERFUCKER KILLED KYLE! I'LL FUCKING KILL HIM AND ANYONE ELSE THAT GETS IN MY WAY IF IT'S THE LAST THING I EVER DO!"
he looked around at everyone, his expression resembling that of a cornered animal. He sucked in a sharp breath and adjusted his grip on the carbine in his hands.
"Let's go. I have a plan."
He said to Nick, Monroe and Scott, watching out the window as the taillights faded away down the strip of hangars. He'd been coming to this airport for years and he knew where to find everything, giving them a slight advantage. He led the little impromptu Fireteam outside,
"Scott, Monroe, you keep watch with your rifles. If they step out of the hangar, shoot them on sight. You have my radio's channel so contact me if they do anything. Nick, follow me. We're going to make some Avgas Molotov Cocktails."

Shelton's burst of impotent rage can be compared and contrasted to Stryker. He too, like the Captain, commits brutality out of revenge for one of his comrades. Yet look at the the textual justification for Stryker:

Verkaria wrote:Stryker

"Grimm, mark where he walked out from. If he tries anything, fire into that area," Stryker said before getting out of the car.

When Stryker opened the door he sat his shotgun on the roof of the vehicle. After he displayed that he was unarmed he made his way over to Billy's body. As he was walking toward the area he kept his eyes trained on Shelton's, something about them reminded Stryker of himself.

Stryker arrived at the body at looked at the damage on it. Hogtied like an animal. Cuts on the right arm. A bullet hole in the forehead. Billy looked like the victim of a sadist.

"Oh... God..." Stryker said as he fell on his knees over the body. He realized now what a horrible mistake he'd made by sending a kid out into the woods to do reconnaissance.

"It was my job... I realize that now... I was suppose to protect him," he whispered to himself but loud enough for Shelton to hear.

There is now a clearer distinction between motivations. Shelton attacks Stryker out of hate for the violence perpetrated against him. Despite the quasi-military rhetoric of Shelton, his professionalism vanishes when an attack against his legitimacy as a leader is made. Remember, he says, "I'll kill [Styker] and anyone that gets in my way". This conflict has become deeply personal to Shelton, not for the threat is poses to his group (that would be a post-hoc justification) but for the brazen assault on his masculinity. Shelton is a very macho character. He has been described as handsome, sexually desirable and attached to this setting's" Pygmalion's statue"-like Taylor Swift, generally competent, and intensely militaristic. Shelton is painted with a very broad brush as a warrior, but even more than that, an American warrior. Bluntly, Shelton's numerous angry outbursts can be traced to the character's inability to stomach that he is not a hero. He is unable to understand that he can do wrong, because there is something intrinsically wrong with him. Even if Shelton's transgresses all laws and ethnics to snuff out the bad guy, he still appeals to the Christian tradition of forgiveness:

Phonencia wrote:"We CAN make it. We just have to have faith we can. God's helped me with that. Always has. He makes everything easier for me really. My family, I miss them every day. But I know they're in a better place now. They're kickin' back in paradise and waiting for me. I can't be with them yet though, because I have a job to do here. That's why I'm alive and I think that's the final proof God exists. Think about it for a second."
he took a long drink then managed a tiny smile.

For Shelton, salvation has already been achieved without the need for absolution and the sacrament of Penance. Shelton "goodness" is ensured, not because of anything he has done, but because his intrinsic goodness is divinely mandated. Here, Shelton makes a direct reference to the workings of this meta-thread. Shleton is good and Stryker bad because this has been dictated by a higher narrative authority than the characters. God exists, therefore everything is permitted.

Next up, The Compound, and the Aesthetics of Futurism.
Last edited by Prospect Landings on Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Goin' back to Tangier, with some Jordans and a Spear

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:09 pm

Prospect Landings wrote:*snip*

Shit, son. Gonna write an essay next? :p

Insightful thought. Spot on, really.
Last edited by Camicon on Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:48 pm

Camicon wrote:
Prospect Landings wrote:*snip*

Shit, son. Gonna write an essay next? :p

I'm just floored by that.

Applause, seriously. That's the kind of interpretation and analysis I only wished I could do back in literature class.
mumblemumblemumble

Verkaria
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Verkaria » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:57 pm

Phonencia wrote:Okay so maybe not the best analogy but you get the point I'm trying to make. Villains should have a decent reason for their villainy or else it detracts from the character and plot.

The reason for Stryker's transition between demented states (killing one of Shelton's men), manic states (pretending to be a mock-priest and going quickly into a happy-go-lucky attitude after the death of one of his friends), and lucid states (realizing the responsibility of his position at the sight of Kyle's? body) is that Stryker is insane. For psychology's sake, I'd define it as Bipolar Schizophrenia.

Prospect Landings wrote: For Shelton, salvation has already been achieved without the need for absolution and the sacrament of Penance. Shelton "goodness" is ensured, not because of anything he has done, but because his intrinsic goodness is divinely mandated. Here, Shelton makes a direct reference to the workings of this meta-thread. Shleton is good and Stryker bad because this has been dictated by a higher narrative authority than the characters. God exists, therefore everything is permitted.

Next up, The Compound, and the Aesthetics of Futurism.

In response to Shelton's religious views: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us2ylGAwBnk&t=1m25s

Also, bravo on that analysis my friend, bravo. Glad to see that you're still around this RP.
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."
~ Ernest Hemingway

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Nexeria
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nexeria » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:00 pm

Wow, Prospect, you have just gained some respect from me. :clap:

That was very well typed out and you even did some nice research. As I was reading it, I imagined Esmore slipping into a sophisticated British accent. :D
I have no mouth. And I must scream.
-Ted the Voiceless Blob

Verkaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Verkaria » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:08 pm

Chernarusk wrote:This open? If so could I be filled in on any basic details or any special interests you have in new characters?

I'd love to have you if you want to be in my group.
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."
~ Ernest Hemingway

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:28 pm

Tiltjuice wrote:
Camicon wrote:Shit, son. Gonna write an essay next? :p

Applause, seriously. That's the kind of interpretation and analysis I only wished I could do back in literature class.

Aren't you a psychology major? Isn't analyzing behaviour sort of the entire point of psychology?
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:33 pm

Camicon wrote:
Tiltjuice wrote:

Aren't you a psychology major? Isn't analyzing behaviour sort of the entire point of psychology?

...Yes.

True. *laughs* I didn't think of it as such. That's a good point; I'm likely out of practice.
mumblemumblemumble

Verkaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Verkaria » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:30 am

I am now proposing two things:

1) The creation and subsequent management of the RP's own wiki.

2) The creation and subsequent management of a new OOC thread, considering that our Great Lord and Master Sentinel has left us.
~ Ernest Hemingway

Monfrox
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 25, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:44 am

Verkaria wrote:I am now proposing two things:

2) The creation and subsequent management of a new OOC thread, considering that our Great Lord and Master Sentinel has left us.

1. You mean TV Tropes page.

2. No, he hasn't.
Gama Best Horror/Thriller RP 2015 Sequel
Xing wrote:Yeah but you also are the best at roleplay. (yay Space Core references) I'm pretty sure a four man tank crew is no problem for someone that had 27 different RP characters going at one time.

The Grey Wolf wrote:Froxy knows how to use a whip, I speak from experience.

Winner of the P2TM 2013 Best Fight Scene in a Single Post and Most Original Character, and 2015 Best Horror/Thriller Role-player awards.
Achievement

Verkaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Verkaria » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:54 am

Monfrox wrote:

1. You mean TV Tropes page.

2. No, he hasn't.

1) Why not both? One for humor and the other for information.

2) I feel pretty confident in saying that he has. We all hope he comes back, but until that, we need a new OOC thread.
~ Ernest Hemingway

Jessjohnesik
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jessjohnesik » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:42 am

Camicon wrote:
Phonencia wrote:

"Some men just want to watch the world burn." - Alfred Pennyworth

That's me. :p

More or less.
ಠ_ಠ Proud owner of the Mystery Genre RPer award 2014!!
Pro: Science, environmentalism, equal rights, const. monarchy, mixed economy, Scientocracy, abortion, Western Europe, NZ, Japan, Australia, Nordic countries, SKorea, EU, immigration control, Merkel, Buddhism, Israel, centrism, eurofederalism, GMOs, soft euroscepticism
Against: Biophobia, social Conservatism, excessive militarism/pacifism, hedonism, totalitarianism, anarchism, fascism, communism, feminism SJWs/BLM, corruption, Islam, Christianity, Palestine, nazism, Russia, Arab League, Saudi Arabia, Greece, traditionalism, moralism, UKIP, uncontrolled immigration
Political Graph

I wonder if you're the worst person I've ever met; at a certain age it's hard to recall... ~ Olenna to Cersei,Game of Thrones

Monfrox
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 25, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Monfrox » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:23 am

Verkaria wrote:
Monfrox wrote:1. You mean TV Tropes page.

2. No, he hasn't.

1) Why not both? One for humor and the other for information.

2) I feel pretty confident in saying that he has. We all hope he comes back, but until that, we need a new OOC thread.

1. It'd be kinda hard to have people maintain both.

2. HERESY!
Gama Best Horror/Thriller RP 2015 Sequel
Xing wrote:Yeah but you also are the best at roleplay. (yay Space Core references) I'm pretty sure a four man tank crew is no problem for someone that had 27 different RP characters going at one time.

The Grey Wolf wrote:Froxy knows how to use a whip, I speak from experience.

Winner of the P2TM 2013 Best Fight Scene in a Single Post and Most Original Character, and 2015 Best Horror/Thriller Role-player awards.
Achievement

Virenna
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virenna » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:12 am

Prospect Landings wrote:-snip-

God, I wish I had your skills for my AP Literature class :clap:
FLAG

"Iron hand in a velvet glove."
-Charles V

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 am

A new OOC thread is a good idea, and since Tilt seems to be involved in crafting the next episode, I'll start work on it (I've hit a small lull between assignments).
With regards to the wiki though, what did you have in mind?
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Chernarusk
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernarusk » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:58 am

Verkaria wrote:

What exactly is your group? I.e., antagonists, protagonists, evil cultists, etc. Not that I don't mind playing as about anything, but I just need some info for the app and ya know, just to generally fill me in.
What? My name sounds like the map in Day Z? I didn't even notice...weird. -_-

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:01 pm

Chernarusk wrote:
Verkaria wrote:

What exactly is your group? I.e., antagonists, protagonists, evil cultists, etc. Not that I don't mind playing as about anything, but I just need some info for the app and ya know, just to generally fill me in.

They're just a group of people, led by the slightly unstable Stryker, to whom they all have a certain degree of loyalty. Don't think of it in terms of "good guys and bad guys". Life is never so black and white
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Verkaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Verkaria » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:12 pm

Camicon wrote:

A new OOC thread is a good idea, and since Tilt seems to be involved in crafting the next episode, I'll start work on it (I've hit a small lull between assignments).
With regards to the wiki though, what did you have in mind?

Here is an example of a wiki that another large RP has made: http://of-men-and-titans.wikia.com/wiki ... -welcome=1
~ Ernest Hemingway

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse