NATION

PASSWORD

Super Hero High (old OOC, search for new one)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Kangaroo Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kangaroo Republic » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:32 am

Could anyone perhaps throw me a bone as well? Or give me some idea as to where my character is supposed to go after his arrival? I'm a little stuck over there now.
Sub Astra --- Australes Unum
they/them or he/him pronouns please
Version 3 of the Kangaroo Republic started on 9 March, 2014

>>Go to factbook<<

Other names for the Kangaroo Republic: The Federation, FKR, The Federal Kangaroo Republic
Demonym: Macropodine, Kangan
NS resident kangaroo furry and therian.
Demsoc, Pro BLM, Pro Antifa
Big ol' non-binary duder

Mighty Asgard
Minister

Founded: Jan 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mighty Asgard » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:37 am

The Kangaroo Republic wrote:Could anyone perhaps throw me a bone as well? Or give me some idea as to where my character is supposed to go after his arrival? I'm a little stuck over there now.

Working on it.

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:46 am

Camicon wrote:
Hetland 2 wrote:Cami, What did Tara find disturbing? Chram's familial love or Will?

Will. She started talking about Chram's 'family' in order to change the subject, because she found it disturbing.
Good thing she has a distraction now.

Speaking of, just how fast is Tara exactly? For example Burton, being a "Hyper evolved" peak human and not superhuman can react in anywhere from 80-110 miliseconds and can physically move his limbs at about 35-40mph. For comparison your average human can react in about 220 miliseconds and on average trained individuals throw punches at 27mph. So definetly faster than "normal" humans but not really in the range of superhuman.
Last edited by Northern Dominus on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Nakarisaune
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 17, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nakarisaune » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:33 am

Anyone in the class fancy some interaction with the kindest, sweetest student on the station once the demonstration's over?
"Nakari won best WW player, awarded to the person who is best at lying." - Fratt

"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a point with a hundred endorsements. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what."

The Kangaroo Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kangaroo Republic » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:42 am

Nakarisaune wrote:Anyone in the class fancy some interaction with the kindest, sweetest student on the station once the demonstration's over?

Queue people asking whether you were referring to their own characters.

Speaking of classes, whatever Scott's teaching is gonna be the next class right?
Sub Astra --- Australes Unum
they/them or he/him pronouns please
Version 3 of the Kangaroo Republic started on 9 March, 2014

>>Go to factbook<<

Other names for the Kangaroo Republic: The Federation, FKR, The Federal Kangaroo Republic
Demonym: Macropodine, Kangan
NS resident kangaroo furry and therian.
Demsoc, Pro BLM, Pro Antifa
Big ol' non-binary duder

Nakarisaune
Ambassador

Postby Nakarisaune » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:46 am

The Kangaroo Republic wrote:
Nakarisaune wrote:Anyone in the class fancy some interaction with the kindest, sweetest student on the station once the demonstration's over?

Queue people asking whether you were referring to their own characters.

Speaking of classes, whatever Scott's teaching is gonna be the next class right?

Yeah, Power Ethics.

And no, I was referring to Rachael, of course!
"Nakari won best WW player, awarded to the person who is best at lying." - Fratt

"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a point with a hundred endorsements. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what."

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:26 am

Cassie!

Before Tara saves Cassie from Rachael's douchiness :P

Nakarisaune wrote:Yeah, Power Ethics.

And no, I was referring to Rachael, of course!

I had a random thought (Because my mind thinks about things that 'might' happen in RP's all the time, or 5 different ways something might turn out) of some standing ovation for Scott occurring during his class in praise of his teaching skills before he leaves:P I thought that would be partly awesome....but not sure how it would be 'triggered'.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Orinon
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 08, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Orinon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:54 am

Spoilers for character development!

Kara is madly, crazily, and somewhat creepily in love with Markus. And she WILL devolve into a fury state resembling Abigale if provoked.
I did some threads a long ass time ago that some people care about Iunno ya'll crazy.

Answers to Orinon or Watery. Part time author, part time gas station attendant, full time cynical bastard.

Nakarisaune
Ambassador

Postby Nakarisaune » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:21 am

Orinon wrote:Spoilers for character development!

Kara is madly, crazily, and somewhat creepily in love with Markus. And she WILL devolve into a fury state resembling Abigale if provoked.

I see your Kara/Markus and raise you more-filial-but-probably-more-obsessive Rachael/Ruby.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:41 am

Northern Dominus wrote:
Camicon wrote:Will. She started talking about Chram's 'family' in order to change the subject, because she found it disturbing.
Good thing she has a distraction now.

Speaking of, just how fast is Tara exactly? For example Burton, being a "Hyper evolved" peak human and not superhuman can react in anywhere from 80-110 miliseconds and can physically move his limbs at about 35-40mph. For comparison your average human can react in about 220 miliseconds and on average trained individuals throw punches at 27mph. So definetly faster than "normal" humans but not really in the range of superhuman.

Once her powers are fully manifested, I set her limit at just barely being able to dodge a bullet, traveling 1000m/s, fired twenty meters away, dead center at her chest.

The equation would be 1000m/1s = 20m/'X's . X would end up equaling 0.02s (or, 200 milliseconds).
Meaning she can move roughly 100m/s from a standstill. This translates into 360kph.

Assuming a reaction time of 0.01s (or, 100 milliseconds), this means she can move at a top speed of roughly 720kph.

Like I said though, that's once her powers are fully manifested. Most recently, I think I had her travel 50m/s, which would be half her top speed. I've also established that her abilities, like super-strength/agility, only seem to manifest when she isn't thinking about them (her agility more so than her strength, which I've been writing as her more or less having control of, if not reaching her fullest potential yet).

For the purpose of Burton's demonstration, however, she won't be moving with any sort of enhanced speed. So her reaction time and such would be somewhere between 'average trained individual' and 'peak human ability'. Say... 150 milliseconds, and... 30mph punching speed? Her only real advantage over Burton is going to be her balance/flexibility/agility (Olympic-caliber gymnast, and all that). And her strength, if they end up grappling.

And on the topic of her super-strength, I believe I said somewhere that Tara's max weight would be double peak human ability? I planned on calculating that by doubling Captain America's max strength/weight/whathaveyou (800lbs x 2 = 1,600lbs). Before the timeskip I had her bench pressing double her bodyweight (200lbs), so by now she'd be up to... 350lbs? Around there.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:50 am

Camicon wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote: Good thing she has a distraction now.

Once her powers are fully manifested, I set her limit at just barely being able to dodge a bullet, traveling 1000m/s, fired twenty meters away, dead center at her chest.

The equation would be 1000m/1s = 20m/'X's . X would end up equaling 0.02s (or, 200 milliseconds).
Meaning she can move roughly 100m/s from a standstill. This translates into 360kph.

Assuming a reaction time of 0.01s (or, 100 milliseconds), this means she can move at a top speed of roughly 720kph.

Like I said though, that's once her powers are fully manifested. Most recently, I think I had her travel 50m/s, which would be half her top speed. I've also established that her abilities, like super-strength/agility, only seem to manifest when she isn't thinking about them (her agility more so than her strength, which I've been writing as her more or less having control of, if not reaching her fullest potential yet).

For the purpose of Burton's demonstration, however, she won't be moving with any sort of enhanced speed. So her reaction time and such would be somewhere between 'average trained individual' and 'peak human ability'. Say... 150 milliseconds, and... 30mph punching speed? Her only real advantage over Burton is going to be her balance/flexibility/agility (Olympic-caliber gymnast, and all that). And her strength, if they end up grappling.

And on the topic of her super-strength, I believe I said somewhere that Tara's max weight would be double peak human ability? I planned on calculating that by doubling Captain America's max strength/weight/whathaveyou (800lbs x 2 = 1,600lbs). Before the timeskip I had her bench pressing double her bodyweight (200lbs), so by now she'd be up to... 350lbs? Around there.
Well think Captain America for Burton. Basically imagine olympic-level speed, strength, flexibility, and endurance enhanced.

And if she's superhuman she had better to be able to bench press a helluva lot more than 350 pounds, the current standing record is 1075 lbs by Ryan Kennelly.
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here

Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:00 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:
Camicon wrote:Once her powers are fully manifested, I set her limit at just barely being able to dodge a bullet, traveling 1000m/s, fired twenty meters away, dead center at her chest.

Well think Captain America for Burton. Basically imagine olympic-level speed, strength, flexibility, and endurance enhanced.

And if she's superhuman she had better to be able to bench press a helluva lot more than 350 pounds, the current standing record is 1075 lbs by Ryan Kennelly.

That's an equipped bench press. The record for unequipped bench press is 715lbs. Besides, her super-strength first presented about ten days ago, IC. It's not at full strength yet. You should also note that Kennelly is almost triple her weight, and male.
Last edited by Camicon on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Founded: Feb 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:04 pm

Camicon wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote: Good thing she has a distraction now.

I still place my bets on the person that has the superpower known as "Wolverine's Trust". Only the best people gain Wolverine's trust, so it is a superpower. No, this is not able to be tested due to a severe lack of Wolverine, but the point still stands that gaining Wolverine's trust qualifies as a superpower.
Last edited by Altruistic Paladins on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Hits Holy Hand,
The Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton II of the People of the DSA and Protector of Ukraine
Inaugurated 12:06 A.M. Ecuador Standard Time, June 26, 2014; crowned 12:23 A.M. EST; June 26, 2014; instituted the Separation of Positions 1:07 A.M. EST, June 26, 2014; retired from office 4:58 P.M. EST, June 27, 2014; returned to office 1:05 A.M. EST, June 30, 2014; retired again 12:05 P.M. EST

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:10 pm

Camicon wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:Well think Captain America for Burton. Basically imagine olympic-level speed, strength, flexibility, and endurance enhanced.

That's an equipped bench press. The record for unequipped bench press is 715lbs. Besides, her super-strength first presented about ten days ago, IC. It's not at full strength yet. You should also note that Kennelly is almost triple her weight, and male.

But...super strength....
Still she would have to be stronger than Burton to qualify, and by my estimations Burton would be able to bench about 675-700 multiple times unequipped :p

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Founded: Feb 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:11 pm

Nakarisaune wrote:
Orinon wrote:Spoilers for character development!

I see your Kara/Markus and raise you more-filial-but-probably-more-obsessive Rachael/Ruby.

Who is Ruby? Is that a nickname that I did not catch?
By Hits Holy Hand,
The Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton II of the People of the DSA and Protector of Ukraine
Inaugurated 12:06 A.M. Ecuador Standard Time, June 26, 2014; crowned 12:23 A.M. EST; June 26, 2014; instituted the Separation of Positions 1:07 A.M. EST, June 26, 2014; retired from office 4:58 P.M. EST, June 27, 2014; returned to office 1:05 A.M. EST, June 30, 2014; retired again 12:05 P.M. EST

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:15 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:
Camicon wrote:That's an equipped bench press. The record for unequipped bench press is 715lbs. Besides, her super-strength first presented about ten days ago, IC. It's not at full strength yet. You should also note that Kennelly is almost triple her weight, and male.

But...super strength....
Still she would have to be stronger than Burton to qualify, and by my estimations Burton would be able to bench about 675-700 multiple times unequipped :p

Yeah, like I said, her super-strength is maturing. Once it has, her limit would be about 1,600lbs.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:25 pm

I don't really know the limits of 'bench pressing' and what equates to what, but Cassie probably can't even do 50 pounds :P

Caitlin might...
My Last.FM and RYM

Zarkenis Ultima
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Zarkenis Ultima » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:26 pm

Corrian wrote:I don't really know the limits of 'bench pressing' and what equates to what, but Cassie probably can't even do 50 pounds :P

Caitlin might...

You're better off than me. I don't know what bench pressing is.

Actually I probably do, I just don't understand what bench pressing means, which is different.
Hello! I'm your friendly neighborhood roleplayer cat. If you need any help, send me a TG and I'll see what I can do!
P2TM Community Discussion Thread

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:31 pm

Corrian wrote:I don't really know the limits of 'bench pressing' and what equates to what, but Cassie probably can't even do 50 pounds :P

Caitlin might...
That's one reason the students are wearing weight vests. To give them that strength training. By wearing the vests while depopwered they have to exert more effort to execute moves at speed, and therefore they build up muscles.

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:31 pm

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:

Caitlin might...

Actually I probably do, I just don't understand what bench pressing means, which is different.

I probably(Definitely?) couldn't do 50 pounds even once, in real life:P
Times are looking grim these days~

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:32 pm

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:

Caitlin might...

I'm not sure I do either. Though I think I know the general concept, due to us having something kinda like that in the garage (to which I hooked up 100 pounds once and failed miserably)

Cassie's not very strong though. Especially since she had been in the hospital for a long time after her car accident. But I figure she probably has a good sense of balance, and is probably flexible, due to her doing a lot of varying dances which can require both of those.

At least, she was, before her knee and whatnot started causing her issues.
My Last.FM and RYM

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:40 pm

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:

Caitlin might...

Actually, fifty pounds would be about the amount that Cassie can bench (considering her accident, and all). An untrained, healthy, adult woman, weighing 100lbs, should be able to bench roughly 50lbs. Here's a chart.

And, Zarkenis, a bench press is as such:

1) Lie on top of a bench, on your back.
2) Behind and above your head should be a stand, on which rests a long bar with an equal amount of weight at either end.
3) Lift this bar up, and move it until it is above your chest.
4) In a controlled manner, lower the bar, and raise it, without arching your back. Do this as many times as you feel comfortable.
5) Replace the bar onto the stand.

Congrats! You've just used a bench press.

Of course, there are different types of benches you can use, to isolate specific muscles in you chest and shoulders. And there are different techniques to do the same. But that's the general concept of a bench press.
Last edited by Camicon on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Procastitania
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Procastitania » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:41 pm

Altruistic Paladins wrote:
Nakarisaune wrote:I see your Kara/Markus and raise you more-filial-but-probably-more-obsessive Rachael/Ruby.

Ruby is the sister of Naka's characters.
You're all insane.

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:43 pm

Camicon wrote:
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:

Actually, fifty pounds would be about the amount that Cassie can bench (considering her accident, and all). An untrained, healthy, adult woman, weighing 100lbs, should be able to bench roughly 50lbs. Here's a chart.

And, Zarkenis, a bench press is as such:

1) Lie on top of a bench, on your back.
2) Behind and above your head should be a stand, on which rests a long bar with an equal amount of weight at either end.
3) Lift this bar up, and move it until it is above your chest.
4) In a controlled manner, lower the bar, and raise it, without arching your back. Do this as many times as you feel comfortable.
5) Replace the bar onto the stand.

Congrats! You've just used a bench press.

Of course, there are different types of benches you can use, to isolate specific muscles in you chest and shoulders. And there are different techniques to do the same. But that's the general concept of a bench press.

Me: *lifts it off the stand and arms give out*

That's probably about how it would go for me:P
Jay....I'm not sure, he's not like, strong at all, but he's not weak, either.
Charlotte would probably fail just because of thinking it was boring:P
Times are looking grim these days~

Nakarisaune
Ambassador

Postby Nakarisaune » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Altruistic Paladins wrote:
Nakarisaune wrote:I see your Kara/Markus and raise you more-filial-but-probably-more-obsessive Rachael/Ruby.

Rachael's twin, disappeared/teleported to Australia a year ago.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse