NATION

PASSWORD

Super Hero High (old OOC, search for new one)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ularn
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:41 am

Mighty Asgard wrote:
Ularn wrote:Wait, is there still a battle going on? I thought everyone was dead or captured?

A couple of bad guys ambushed Burton and some of the soldiers.

Sooo...why's he wanting a chat with Girija in the middle of a firefight? :?
ULARN INTERSTELLAR FEDERATION
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Broken World: Beastmasters | Of Zombies and Men
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Founded: Feb 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:50 am

AETEN II wrote:BTW, found a mod of skyrim nightingale armor that I like and appears to be more modern, so this is Erkenfried's armor-
Pic
Might try looking up some sort of melee weapon he'd like as well. Probably an older sword, probably a rapier although he may like, arg, I forget the name, but it's a 16th century sword I saw on deadliest warrior that preformed as well as the katana. Cut a pig in half with a single heavy diagonal downstroke. Would give kevlar a run for its money as well.

That depends, for there are multiple types of kilij that go by different names, sizes, materials, eras, and nations. Spike made an egregious error frequently on the show where they would use modern materials in weapons and armor, such as using modern steel for all of the weapons. This meant that steel weapons were often more durable or more powerful than they actually were. An authentic kilij would probably not achieve the same results that a kilij made of modern steel practices would achieve. If you are going exactly where I think you are going with this for your immortal character, then please remember several points. It will probably not be as powerful as a modern sword by sheer virtue of steel-making practices getting better over time. Chain mail and plate armor will render the weapon useless. There are multiple types of kilij that have variations depending upon the era it was produced in and what culture produced it (later on, various western nations adopted the sword while making modifications to the design as a calvary saber, the most famous version being the mamaluke), so you would need to identify exactly when and, should it be at a later time, where the sword was made and what type of kilij it is, such as a pala. Most importantly of all, remember that most kilijs are not, nor have they ever been, an "I win" button in sword fights.

There is also something that is more of a annoyance to me (incomming rant, please divert your eyes if you do not to hear A.P. harangue), the of the idea of a Roman walking around with a kilij being odd. Imagine the idea of an American WWII veteran keeping a Karabiner 98k as a weapon of choice, a noir detetective wielding a Glock, or a Genpei War era Samurai wielding a colichemarde. A weapon often can say something in conjunction with the person wielding it or reinforce an idea about them. This actually became a problem in Vietnam as some soldiers decided to AKs, and so were often shot on sight since the idea of AK equaling Victor or Charlie was extremely ingrained. On a more personal level, guns can speak of a person's history. Whether a character uses a Glock or a Berreta M92 can already give a massive hint that they served the police or the military recently. If a character uses a weapon that seems to contradict the expectations of them, it is usually because they are lying to set up a twist.
Last edited by Altruistic Paladins on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Hits Holy Hand,
The Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton II of the People of the DSA and Protector of Ukraine
Inaugurated 12:06 A.M. Ecuador Standard Time, June 26, 2014; crowned 12:23 A.M. EST; June 26, 2014; instituted the Separation of Positions 1:07 A.M. EST, June 26, 2014; retired from office 4:58 P.M. EST, June 27, 2014; returned to office 1:05 A.M. EST, June 30, 2014; retired again 12:05 P.M. EST

TechTown
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby TechTown » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:22 am

Decided to post a thing here and see what happens.
It might not be quite suitable for this scenario; there's a LOT of reading material to get through, so I can't be certain either way.

Had this character for a while, so I thought I'd see if he fit in here. Needs a home outside my head..
It's a little odd, perhaps. But then, oddness is probably normal here.

In either case, a critique would be welcomed.

David Thorne
Name: David Thorne
Nationality: Scottish
Height: 6'6"
Weight: Below Average
Hair: Black
Eyes: Green
Skin: Olive
Costume/Clothing: Dark grey formal shirts with subtly expensive waistcoats normally adorning his front -gaunt face and wiry hands emerging from it- with charcoal trousers ending with polished leather shoes for his lower half. A discreet pin with adorned with the all-seeing eye his only visible admittance to psionic abilities. Wears slim, gunmetal-grey edged glasses for vision correction.
Abilities:
(Standard) Weak Psychic, able to use limited abilities to great effect.
Telekinetic range is 1 meter. Telepathy requires contact.
Trained hand-to-hand fighter, however is not particularly talented.
(Synched) Master Psionic, able to manipulate multiple objects with force. Often in the form of hands.
Telekinetic range is line of sight. Telepathy remains unchanged
Subject: Psionic Control, Manipulation and Combat Skills
Bio: Rather intimidating by nature and choice, David is nonetheless a person who likes and maintains good friendships.. if few. His abilities granting a mild empathy link to those in close proximity, resulting in being unusually acute in noticing problems people are facing. Slow and methodical in his thoughts and actions; he assesses the best action to take before actually moving to do such. He is always willing to listen to anyone and everyone who wishes to, though his behaviour normally dissuades this.

Daniel 'Ghost' Thorne
Name: Daniel 'Ghost' Thorne
Appearance: Physically identical to his original body, save for this outfit. Eschewing the monochrome clothing worn by David; his clothing consists of a light green shirt, with a dark olive waistcoat and trousers. Retaining the black shoes however, and instead of the slim corrective eyewear of David, wearing red-tinted pince-nez glasses for reasons he refuses to disclose.
Peculiarly, his teeth are not the standard human omnivorous incisor/canine/molar trio, but resemble those of a carnivore, including a few insectivore needle-like teeth. Not immediately evident until he smiles however.
Species: Psychic Manifestation
Abilities: None. Save being able to change the appearance of clothing.
Amateur swordsman, in-training before leaving Earth.
Bio: A literal split personality -and a 'Thorn' in David's side- Daniel has already deviated from his creator's personality.. having developed a slight trickster personality, seeming to find the world ever so slightly amusing all the time. More prone to impulsive and instinctive behaviour too. Sometimes regarded as the 'emotional' side to the Thorne pair, like David he gives time to any who ask. Strongly dislikes the sensation of synching, as it leaves him helpless until David grants him control again to subconsciously recreate his physical form.

History
Living in Edinburgh, Thorne lived a fairly standard childhood until the age of eleven; when he used his psychic abilities for the first time on a sports day, stopping the ball from entering the goal with a spectral hand of force. Alienated but for a few friends, the story was picked up by a military academy who offered him a place on leaving education. Agreeing it would likely be a better place, Thorne joined the military under an 'Empowered Soldier' programme. Operating effectively for the most part; becoming Corporal not long before the incursion.
A Psychic Warrior; Thorne faced some of the worst in the last war. Gaining a small amount of public attention as such, known as "Mage-Hand". However, men and women dying under his watch did leave him distraught for a time during the end and afterwards. Eventually cracking under the stress after a skirmish went particularly badly. Quietly honourably discharged due to post-traumatic stress disorder; Thorne found himself talking to a voice only he could hear.. not the best sign.
It was only approximately three months ago that 'Ghost' finally manifested using David's abilities. A split personality, in every sense of the word. Unwilling to now take the opportunity to regain control of his mind by an action tantamount to murder; the two are a matched pair. However, the constant creation of a telekinetic 'body' and illusionary form of the now named "Daniel" limits the amount of psychic energy to a mere trickle of what was once at his control. By 're-absorbing' Daniel's material body, and keeping both minds within his own body; the amount of psionic 'bandwidth' is increased and the majority of abilities is regained. Known simply as "Synching".
Unwilling to rejoin the military; but not wanting to put their education and talents to use.. there was one obvious place to go, and so they decided to shoot for the stars.

tl;dr
Grey wearing guy (David) is a psychic, Green wearing guy (Daniel) is a psychic ghost. They fuse to use powers.

I need to stop listening to Blue Oyster Cult when thinking up characters.
Last edited by TechTown on Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TechTown would like to remind other Nation representatives that we are currently trading in Virtual creation.
Destruction gains little, trading allows growth.

TechTown is grateful for the non-discharging of weapons at this Nation.
PMT level, AI and a few somewhat futuristic inventions. No FTL/teleportation however.
Entire Nation is an orbiting "Skycraft", with a virtual world inside for the AI citizenry.
Check out my Factbook for tons of stuff I wrote about it if you're interested! Just click here!

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:29 am

That depends, listening to "Don't Fear the Reaper" makes me think of Jonestown and cults thanks to an old History Channel show back when it use to be a nice thing to do before it got overtaken by U.F.O.s and Nostradamus; so I am entirely expecting super-hero hating cults to be involved (which I am guessing is not so).

Then again, I had the horrible combination of classical music, smooth jazz, progressive rock and metal, and Modest Mouse when I was thinking of the student characters (both minor and major).
Last edited by Altruistic Paladins on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Hits Holy Hand,
The Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton II of the People of the DSA and Protector of Ukraine
Inaugurated 12:06 A.M. Ecuador Standard Time, June 26, 2014; crowned 12:23 A.M. EST; June 26, 2014; instituted the Separation of Positions 1:07 A.M. EST, June 26, 2014; retired from office 4:58 P.M. EST, June 27, 2014; returned to office 1:05 A.M. EST, June 30, 2014; retired again 12:05 P.M. EST

TechTown
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby TechTown » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:49 am

Altruistic Paladins wrote:That depends, listening to "Don't Fear the Reaper" makes me think of Jonestown and cults thanks to an old History Channel show back when it use to be a nice thing to do before it got overtaken by U.F.O.s and Nostradamus; so I am entirely expecting super-hero hating cults to be involved (which I am guessing is not so).

Then again, I had the horrible combination of classical music, smooth jazz, progressive rock and metal, and Modest Mouse when I was thinking of the student characters (both minor and major).

It was a mixture of "Veteran of a Thousand Psychic Wars" (Yeah..) and Black Blade that spawned Thorne.. And also a question I asked myself "What happens if a psychic gets a split personality?" Which... just made that. Pretty bizarre.
TechTown would like to remind other Nation representatives that we are currently trading in Virtual creation.

PMT level, AI and a few somewhat futuristic inventions. No FTL/teleportation however.
Entire Nation is an orbiting "Skycraft", with a virtual world inside for the AI citizenry.
Check out my Factbook for tons of stuff I wrote about it if you're interested! Just click here!

Mighty Asgard
Minister

Founded: Jan 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mighty Asgard » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:47 am

Techtown is accepted.

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:56 am

Ularn wrote:
Mighty Asgard wrote:A couple of bad guys ambushed Burton and some of the soldiers.

Sooo...why's he wanting a chat with Girija in the middle of a firefight? :?
Yellow and Red are on suppressing fire coming from another house while Burton is tending to the wounded. The idea is he wants to know if the house where the enemy firing is coming from is the same one that the sniper ambushed them from earlier and to set up a multi-pronged assault...with the Sergeants approval of course :p
Last edited by Northern Dominus on Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

TechTown
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby TechTown » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:03 am

Well that was.. faster than I expected. Much faster.
I'll wait a bit until things look like they're calming down in the IC thread I suppose. Seems a bit hectic at the moment.

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:15 am

TechTown wrote:Well that was.. faster than I expected. Much faster.
I'll wait a bit until things look like they're calming down in the IC thread I suppose. Seems a bit hectic at the moment.

A ship carrying students had just arrived recently. You could say he came on that while he was asleep, and nobody noticed him for about twenty minutes.
Last edited by Altruistic Paladins on Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Hits Holy Hand,

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:26 am

:palm:

That armor and weapons is for Erkenfried. Tiberius always modernizes and currently keeps a SCAR-L from Iraq and the Vampire War. Erkenfried likes old weapons, although it could always be a modern Kilij, or one given to him by a several hundred year old grandfather. Tiberius just wants to be normal and is a career soldier and keeps the best stuff available on hand. He only keeps an Aureus given to him as a child by his father.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:16 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:
Ularn wrote:Sooo...why's he wanting a chat with Girija in the middle of a firefight? :?
Yellow and Red are on suppressing fire coming from another house while Burton is tending to the wounded. The idea is he wants to know if the house where the enemy firing is coming from is the same one that the sniper ambushed them from earlier and to set up a multi-pronged assault...with the Sergeants approval of course :p

Wouldn't the best plan be to ask him that using his own radio?
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:21 pm

Also I just realised, we could really do with some female teachers...
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:28 pm

Ularn wrote:Also I just realised, we could really do with some female teachers...

Didn't we have the embarrassingly clumsy Sex Ed. teacher?
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:33 pm

Camicon wrote:
Ularn wrote:Also I just realised, we could really do with some female teachers...

Didn't we have the embarrassingly clumsy Sex Ed. teacher?

Let me ask for two extra adjectives. Do we have any serious, super-powered, female teachers?
Last edited by Altruistic Paladins on Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Hits Holy Hand,

Nakarisaune
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 17, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nakarisaune » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:36 pm

Altruistic Paladins wrote:
Camicon wrote:Didn't we have the embarrassingly clumsy Sex Ed. teacher?

Let me ask for two extra adjectives. Do we have any serious, super-powered, female teachers?

Well, it's Naka planning time!
"Nakari won best WW player, awarded to the person who is best at lying." - Fratt

"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a point with a hundred endorsements. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what."

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:37 pm

Nakarisaune wrote:

We are doomed.
By Hits Holy Hand,

Nakarisaune
Ambassador

Postby Nakarisaune » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Nakarisaune wrote:

We are doomed.

Unfortunately true.
"Nakari won best WW player, awarded to the person who is best at lying." - Fratt

"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a point with a hundred endorsements. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what."

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:40 pm

I unfortunately forgot to mention "still active on this thread" due to Pink Followers' character.
By Hits Holy Hand,

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:42 pm

Nakarisaune wrote:

What happened to Chelsea?
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Nakarisaune
Ambassador

Postby Nakarisaune » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:44 pm

Camicon wrote:
Nakarisaune wrote:

What happened to Chelsea?

She faded into space.
Or Rachael murdered her

Altruistic Paladins wrote:I unfortunately forgot to mention "still active on this thread" due to Pink Followers' character.

My plan is active! :P

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:51 pm

Nakarisaune wrote:
Camicon wrote:What happened to Chelsea?

She faded into space.
Or Rachael murdered her

Altruistic Paladins wrote:I unfortunately forgot to mention "still active on this thread" due to Pink Followers' character.

What, no unexpected pregnancies?
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Nakarisaune
Ambassador

Postby Nakarisaune » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:52 pm

Camicon wrote:
Nakarisaune wrote:She faded into space.
Or Rachael murdered her

What, no unexpected pregnancies?

There was one, but it faded into space.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:55 pm

Nakarisaune wrote:
Camicon wrote:What, no unexpected pregnancies?

There was one, but it faded into space.

Wait, so Chelsea was an unexpected pregnancy?

Just when I thought things couldn't get any deeper... BAM! Preg-ception.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Nakarisaune
Ambassador

Postby Nakarisaune » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:58 pm

Camicon wrote:
Nakarisaune wrote:There was one, but it faded into space.

Wait, so Chelsea was an unexpected pregnancy?

Just when I thought things couldn't get any deeper... BAM! Preg-ception.

Chelsea was an unexpected pregnancy who had an unexpected pregnancy that had an unexpected pregnancy while still a fetus.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:01 pm

"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse