NATION

PASSWORD

Tales of Two Horizons OOC-Open

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

The imperial canadian dutchy
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The imperial canadian dutchy » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:15 pm

The Industrial States of Columbia wrote:
The imperial canadian dutchy wrote:
Reservation

Name of the State:Union of Britannia
Area to be reserved: 1
Code: 635

Bugger it I'm trying something new

I would prefer that ye aim elsewhere, I am fine with you trying something new, but this is a huge project to bite of as a "trying something new", and I would rather that someone who has played similar powers before plays Britannia (Hence why I won't even play it)

Unfortunately,

Denied

Similar Powers?
By what do you mean that?

By tryings something new do you think I'll half ass it? No I was serious about trying, Considering Britain is one of my better specialties.
I mean it's not like Britannia would even have a large navy as before due to the lack of Canada's forests
But yeah if you feel like I wouldn't do well in it I'll yield to your opinion.
Last edited by The imperial canadian dutchy on Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e

The Industrial States of Columbia
Senator

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:23 pm

I would prefer that ye aim elsewhere, I am fine with you trying something new, but this is a huge project to bite of as a "trying something new", and I would rather that someone who has played similar powers before plays Britannia (Hence why I won't even play it)

Unfortunately,

Denied

Similar Powers?

By tryings something new do you think I'll half ass it? No I was serious about trying, Considering Britain is one of my better specialties.
I mean it's not like Britannia would even have a large navy as before due to the lack of Canada's forrests

The most similar thing I have seen that you have played to the United Kingdom is maybe your Italy in New Imperialism I as far as sheer landmass goes, not as much governing body mind you, but this Britannia's foreign policy is going to be... different.

Also, the lack of regard for Britain's other colonies and their resources does cement my verdict further. This is non-negotiable
Cobalt Network Signups-|-Cobalt Network Main Page
A Fan of Type II alternate history
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla
Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The imperial canadian dutchy » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:27 pm

Similar Powers?

I mean it's not like Britannia would even have a large navy as before due to the lack of Canada's forrests

The most similar thing I have seen that you have played to the United Kingdom is maybe your Italy in New Imperialism I as far as sheer landmass goes, not as much governing body mind you, but this Britannia's foreign policy is going to be... different.

Also, the lack of regard for Britain's other colonies and their resources does cement my verdict further. This is non-negotiable

Like I said I will yield to your decision, But on a purely Historical tangent, Canada was nigh necessary for the Cheap expansion of the RN, due to the loss of the Great oaks of England, and the loss of America, The Baltic did supply somewhat, but was prone to strategic problems, the Canadian forests despite Britains large Empire /extremely/ vital in the RN. (NOte this is not arguing your decision merely your incorrect view of the timber in the British Empire).
e

Relikai
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 11, 2014
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Relikai » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:28 pm

Just to clarify, The United Provinces control most of Australia, the southern part of New Zealand, for SouthEast Asia - South Papua New Guinea, Netherlands Antilles and Suriname+territories south ?
How to be legitimately recognised in NS? Be a proper Roleplayer.
In a community where knowledge should be used to uplift the teachable and be used as an interest instead of a necessity, the arrogant abuse of knowledge is interesting to watch.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The imperial canadian dutchy » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:29 pm

Reservation

Name of the State:Serenìsima Repùblica de Venesia
Area to be reserved:32
e

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:29 pm

Similar Powers?

But the United Kingdom in here and in New Imperialism has similar condition regarding the colonies. But in here UK has more colonies whereas in NI, UK barely has colonies.
Stormwrath wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:You people can call me...AA. Or Alt.
Or Tito.

I'm calling you "non-aligned comrade."

A proud Nationalist
Winner for Best War RP of 2016

Senator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:34 pm

Relikai wrote:Just to clarify, The United Provinces control most of Australia, the southern part of New Zealand, for SouthEast Asia - South Papua New Guinea, Netherlands Antilles and Suriname+territories south ?

I do believe so, yes

Altito Asmoro wrote:

But the United Kingdom in here and in New Imperialism has similar condition regarding the colonies. But in here UK has more colonies whereas in NI, UK barely has colonies.

In the case of New Imperialism, Both Britain and Italy could be called great powers, but here, Britain essetially is a Hyper-power, only really challenged by the Song and maybe France for global dominance. (France is a bad example, but they can cause problems for the Brits is my main point.)
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla
Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished.

Senator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:35 pm

Reservation

Name of the State:Serenìsima Repùblica de Venesia
Area to be reserved:32

Noted
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla

The Kingdom of Glitter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Kingdom of Glitter » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:55 pm

Application

Name: The Columbian Federation
Symbols:
-Flag
-Coat of Arms
-Columbia
Claims: http://i.imgur.com/0rl6eVS.png
Power: Secondary

Government Structure: Federal presidential constitutional republic
Ideology/Policy: Populism, Agrarianism, Manifest destiny
Leaders:
-President Andreas von Johansen (Liberty Party - Illinois)
-Vice President Martin Van Buren (Liberty Party - New York)
-Speaker of the House Philemon Dickerson (Liberty Party - New Jersey)
Capital City: Manhattan D.C.

Population: 8,692,300
-Territorial: 24,700
Primary Ethnic Group: Anglo-Saxon Americans
Minority Ethnic Groups: Scots, Scotch-Irish, Irish, Germans, French, Portuguese, Native Americans, Afro-Columbians
Description of Ethnicity: White Anglo-Saxon Protestants.
Language: English
Religion: Protestant sects dominate the nation, while Roman Catholicism plays a more subtle but powerful role.

Foreign Relations:
-Pro: France, Brasil
-Neutral: Mexico, Nova Gallia, Iberia
-Anti: United Kingdom
Military Information:
Army Size: ~140,000
-Federal Army: 25,000
--Well trained, well equipped, garrisoned in forts throughout the nation
-National Militia: 40,00
--averagely trained, averagely equipped. Used to relieve/reinforce garrisons on a need by need basis. Federal Reservists.
-Various State Militias: ~75,00
--training varies and equipment varies from state the state. The larger, wealthier states have better militias while the less affluent states suffer. The western states have smaller militias, but have more federal garrisons.
Navy Size:
-Great Northern Fleet (Stationed in Boston)
--4 Ship of the Lines
--6 Man o' Wars
--12 Sloop o' Wars
--9 Various Frigates
-Mid-Atlantic Squadron (Stationed in Philadelphia)
--2 Ship of the Lines
--7 Man o' Wars
--8 Sloop o' Wars
--3 Various Frigates

Economic Policy: The Liberty Party and Johansenians strongly support Laissez-faire Economic policies. Since the party has taken power, they have pursued a hands-off approach to the economy, allowing infrastructure, industry, and banking to develop on its own.
Economic Situation: The economy is slowly recovering from the Recession of 1833-1834, a year long period where the economy's growth stinted. This followed several other recent recessions. Since 1825, there have been three recessions, with a few more preceding the ten year period. However, growth has stabilized and the economy is expanding once again. The overall situation in the Columbian Federation is fair.
Infrastructure: Infrastructure is decent. Canal and road projects undertaken by von Johansen's predecessor, John Quincy Adams, have improved the national infrastructure, which currently tends to be done state by state. Railroads are slowly springing up around major population centers.
Imports & Exports:
-Imports: Tea, spices, fur, European nonsense
-Exports: Foodstuffs (wheat), tobacco, timber
Currency: Columbian Dollar ($)

History:
-1620 - English colonists begin establishing settlements on the coast of Massachusetts.
-1642-51 - The English Civil War rages across the Atlantic. Slowly the North American colonies begin to develop large amounts of autonomy.
-1660 - Restoration of Charles II occurs. Subsequent reforms reign in the now self-governing colonies via reforms such as the Navigation Acts. Reorganization of colonies begins.
-1676 - New England comes under heavy siege during Metacom's War, which is eventually won by the English colonists. Native power in New England is largely diminished to nothing.
-1686 - Dominion of New England decreed by James II. Autonomy is slashed and discontent among the Protestant population is rampant.
-1689 - Governor of New England is deposed and executed by an angry mob. The Dominion ceases to exist.
-1689–1697 - King William's War rages. Maine seized from France
-1702–1713 - Queen Anne's War
-1720 - The Province of Maine becomes the Crown Colony of Lothian after it's coastline is settled by Scots immigrants.
-1744–1748 - King George's War. New England colonies prove their militias are capable of fighting.
-1749-53 - Father Le Loutre's War is fought in Northern Lothian between the French and Natives living there and the Scottish/English in New England.
-1756-1763 - The Six Years' War rages across the Americas between the British and the Iberians. In order to finance the expensive war, taxes are raised on the colonies during the war.
-1765 - The Stamp Act is passed and is repealed a year later, however the outrage it caused does not disperse.
-1776 - Following nonsense the Declaration of Independence is signed at the First Continental Congress in Philadelphia.
-1781 - The Columbian War of Independence is won following French intervention. The Columbian Federation is declared, Constitution signed. Slavery is abolished in the constitution.
-1789 - George Washington does not seek election as president. Is succeeded by John Adams. Clashes between Thomas Jefferson's Anti-Federalists and the ruling Federalists rage.
-1791 - First Bank of Columbia is established by congress. Vermont admitted as a state.
-1793 - Adams is replaced by Jefferson. Battle between the Federalists and Anti-Federalists simmers
-1799 - Jefferson's Pro-France policy is implemented. Silent support of Revolutionary France in the Napoleonic Wars
-1803 - Ohio becomes a state
-1812 - War of 1812???
-1824 - The Presidential Election of this year is quite contested. Washington native Andreas von Johansen won both the electoral college and popular vote, but the House of Representatives ruled the election in favor of incumbent John Quincy Adams - who remains president.
-1825 - The Democratic-Republic Party is dissolved, splitting up into the Johansenian Liberty Party and the National Republican Party - which supported Adams.
-1828 - Adams is defeated by von Johansen, whose party sees gains in the House of Representatives. The Whig Party and National Republicans aligned with one another in the congress, but remained separate parties.
-1833 - The National Republicans merge into the Whig Party, solidifying the Whigs' ability to oppose von Johansen's agenda, however they have been failing.

Miscellaneous: nu
RP Example: lol
Last edited by The Kingdom of Glitter on Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 28, 2014
Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:59 pm

Reservation

Name of the State: Kingdom of Tuscany
Area to be reserved: 34
Friends call me "Rud."

Senator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:02 pm

Rudaslavia wrote:
Reservation

Name of the State: Kingdom of Tuscany
Area to be reserved: 34

Noted
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Founded: May 17, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:24 pm

Reservation

Name of the State: Empire of All Russias
Area to be reserved: 43

Time to get my country destruction skills to good use.
Last edited by Finland SSR on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have a severe case of addiction to writing. At least 3k words every day is my fix.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Sveltlana
Minister

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sveltlana » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:10 pm

Application

Name: The Second Mexican Empire
Symbols: Flag, Arms, Anthem
Claims: 73
Power: Secondary

Government Structure: Unitary Constitutional Monarchy
Ideology/Policy: Christian (Catholic) Monarchy, Conservatism, Economic Interventionism
Leaders: Emperor Maximiliano I de Habsurgo
Capital City: México

Population: ca. 7.300.000
Primary Ethnic Group: Mestizo
Minority Ethnic Groups: Nahuatl, Iberian, Mayan; Many other native cultures.
Description of Ethnicity: Mestizos are the product of the matrimony of the Spanish or European ethnicity and the native populations of what is currently Mexico.
Language: Spanish
Religion: Catholicism

Foreign Relations: Allied with France, good ties with Austria and Belgium. Bad relationship (terrible) with USCA. Conflict with the Northern indian tribes (they often raid Mexican holdings).
Military Information: Mexico holds a large territory, and as such, its army is comprised in three different formations: an elite core of Guards to be stationed at important urban centres, a large number of regular infantry to be located at strategic points or important thoroughfares, and a large number of irregular infantry based around the wild frontiers of the nation. The army receives the bulk of the military funding, although the navy is currently being expanded.
Army Size: ca. 140,000 men in total. Around 20,000 are elite Guards, the core of the army. 40,000 are regular infantry. The remainder are largely disorganised guerillas.
Navy Size: Quite small. The navy operates a single ship of the line, the European-built El Tridente, which is also the flagship. The fleet is based in the large port of Veracruz, leading to the Gulf of Mexico. Three sixth-rates are being built in Tampico, two to be given to the Gulf Fleet and the other one to serve as the flagship of the new Pacific Fleet, to be stationed in Acapulco.

Economic Policy: Interventionism
Economic Situation: Mexico's economy is based around two focal areas: mining and farming. From the mines of Guanajuato and Zacatecas, hoards of silver are extracted which provide ample cash reserves for the government, which has recently gone into debt spending on lavish public projects spurred by the young emperor. From the large hacendado farms, Cacao (chocolate), Coffee, and other local plants are grown and cultivated for export to Europe and Columbia. This also produces some money. Nevertheless, the absence of large and productive foodstuff farms has led the country to import large amounts of food to feed its growing population.
Infrastructure: Important urban centres are linked by roads in good state. Given the size of the nation, other roads are usually in a worse condition, if they are in good repair at all. Most roads in the country, of course, are in such a state.
Imports & Exports: Imports: refined products, foodstuffs; Exports: Silver, Coffee, Cacao, and other local goods.
Currency: The Mexican Peso (Peso mexicano)

History: Mexico obtained independence from Iberia in 1815, which has yet to be recognized, although, de facto, Mexico is wholly independent. It obtained independence in 1815 as the First Mexican Empire, under Guadalupe Victoria, a popular leader who had led the Insurgent movement from the death of Miguel Hidalgo until he decisively defeated the Loyalist forces of Félix Calleja in the Battle of Pachuca in 1814. Guadalupe Victoria, born José Miguel Ramón Adaucto Fernández y Félix, was crowned in Mexico City’s Cathedral in 1814 as Emperor Guadalupe I and the ruler of an independent Constitutional Monarchy.

However, Congress declared the Monarchy unconstitutional in 1817 as it developed the Mexican constitution. Guadalupe I was thus relieved of his title. In 1821, however, he was elected by and large as the country’s first president, serving a short term from 1821 to 1824. He was succeeded by his fellow insurgent leader, Vicente Guerrero, with whom he had great friendship.The presidency continued to be passed on in terms of six years. It was in this decade when the first Mexican political parties began to be developed: first rose the Partido Democrático Mexicano (Mexican Democratic Party), a Catholic and conservative party that obtained widespread support. Against it rose the Partido de Mexicanos Liberales (Liberal Mexicans’ Party). For many years, the parties wrestled for control of parliament, although the Partido Democrático enjoyed successive tenures of the presidency.

The Democratic party had excellent intentions. It immediately appealed to the needs of peasants and indians, redistributing many of the massive latifundios owned by wealthy landowners, especially in the poor and rural south, where the growth of urban centers in Chilpancingo and Morelia were encouraged. Ports such as Acapulco and Vallarta grew rapidly as commerce with Asia, particularly the Song, flourished. La Nao de la China, the name for ships bringing Chinese goods into Mexico, grew rapidly — Tea became a major import in Mexico, followed by Chinese apparel and decorations. All of these are currently in style among the higher Mexican strata, as well as French and English trends. Such Trade was fostered by the Mexican Democrats, who lowered tariffs greatly. Machinery was imported from England and Belgium in massive quantities, while Columbian-made rifles began to be fielded by the Mexican military.

As would be expected, all of this made the country go into great debt with Iberian, British, and French banks. In 1829, while Guerrero was president, the three countries agreed to blockade Mexico until the fledgling country agreed to pay its debts. However, it soon became apparent to Britain and Iberia that France had peculiar intentions regarding the country. They criticised the French, and pulled back their navies from the blockade in protest. Taking advantage of the election of 1830, the French invaded Mexico and after lightning victories against the Mexican army, which was dispersed across the country. After reaching Mexico City, they established a puppet regime — with the tacit support of Austria and other Catholic powers. The French decreed the Second Mexican Empire in Congress, and dissolved the current Representatives. They invited the young Maximilian Habsburg to rule over Mexico in the stead of the French. He accepted, and was crowned as the Second Emperor of Mexico in 1830.

To make matters worse, a rebellion against the European-supported monarchy led by the Austrians and French that had been established in Mexico took little time to sprout. Armed with weaponry provided by other American republics, the Republican revolutionaries, led by Benitou Juarès, a French immigrant, have opened war against the monarchists. They have accrued much territory in the South and East, controlling completely the Yucatán peninsula and the isthmus of Tehuantepec. Maximiliano has tried to engage in diplomacy with the rebels, with little success.
Miscellaneous: Mexicanos al grito de guerra! The natives just above me will stop existing soon. Also, the Empire is close to falling.
RP Example: What is love?
Last edited by Sveltlana on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ASTURIAS STRONK

Now, mortal, you have made the mistake of opening Pandora's Box. What evils have you unleashed upon the Earth?

Me, Svet lol good one svet
Me, Svet
: ikr svet it was pretty good

-- Politics --
Fuck that.

Senka: [about me] "You are a deplorable reactionary fascist cockroach with no hope of redemption who should be condemned to burn with the rest of the plutocratic imperialist stooges in the cleansing atomic fire of the righteous."

Conwy-Shire
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Conwy-Shire » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:21 pm

Reservation

Name of the State: Kingdom of the Two Sicilies
Area to be reserved: 37
Aurelian Stoicist
Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.

The Real MVP

Senator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:29 pm

Conwy-shire wrote:
Reservation

Name of the State: Kingdom of the Two Sicilies
Area to be reserved: 37

Noted

Finland SSR wrote:
Reservation

Name of the State: Empire of All Russias
Area to be reserved: 43

Time to get my country destruction skills to good use.

Noted
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla

Terminus Alpha
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Terminus Alpha » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:35 pm

Reservation

Name of the State: Hesperian Union
Area to be reserved: 74
Last edited by Terminus Alpha on Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RP Interests: Alt-Hist, Space, 20th Century onward.
In the process of becoming a History teacher.
Center-Left-Libertarian | "Dirty filthy hippie"
Agnostic Atheist
Democrat
LGBT+

Elepis
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:53 pm

Application

Name: Mamluk Caliphate of Egypt and the Levant
Symbols: FlagCoat of Arms
Claims: 44 (Aden as vassal)
Power:
Regionally (Africa, ME, E. Med): Great Power
Internationally: High Secondary

Government Structure:
Ideology/Policy: Islamism, Arab nationalism, Imperialism, limited isolationism, modernisationsim
Leaders: Caliph-Sultan al-Mansour Seif al-Din Qalawun Saladini (Caliph-Sultan Mansour Saladini)
Capital City: Cairo

Population: 30,350,000
Primary Ethnic Group: Arab (Egyptian)
Minority Ethnic Groups:
Arabs: Iraqis, Syrians, Lebanese, Palestinians, Sudanese, Arabians, Yemeni
Non-Arab: Kurdish, Turkic, Persian, Jewish, "black Africans", Cypriots
Description of Ethnicity:
Language: Arabic, Hebrew
Religion: Sunni Islam, Shia Islam, Christianity, Yazidi

Foreign Relations:
Allies: Persia, Aden, Hellas, Russia
Enemies: Sultanate of Rum, whomever controls South Sudan
Military Information:
Army Size: Royal Mamluk Army: 435,250 men in total:
Mamluk Guards: Elite Guards of the Caliph, armed with the best weapons and training. Very loyal and very patriotic, based in Cairo and Alexandria: 5,000
White Guards: Elite Dragoons, also guard the Caliph and also armed with the best weapons and training. Very loyal and very patriotic, based in Cairo, Baghdad and Damascus: 10,000

Army of Egypt: Largest, best equipped and trained of the four armies, based in Egypt: 200,000 men
Army of Mesopotamia: Second largest, second best equipped and trained of the four armies, based in Iraq, Cyprus and Syria : 140,000 men
Army of the Levant: Third largest, third best equipped and trained of the four armies, based in Palestine and Lebanon: 55,000 men
Army of Hejaz: Smallest, worst equipped army, made up mostly of Cavalry, based in Jeddah: 20,000 men

Navy Size:
Royal Mamluk Navy:
8 ships of the line
22 frigates
58 smaller warships

Economic Policy: The grandfather of the current Caliph, Caliph Ali, instituted sweeping economic reforms when he first came to power, turning the Egyptian economy in to the power house of the region. He created state monopolies over the chief products of the country. He set up a number of factories and began digging in 1809 a new canal to Alexandria, called the Mahmudiya. The old canal had long fallen into decay, and the necessity of a safe channel between Alexandria and the Nile was much felt. Ali also ordered the the development of the cultivation of cotton in the Delta in 1818 and onwards. The cotton grown previously had been brought from the Sudan by Maho Bey. By organizing the new industry, within a few years Ali has been able to extract considerable revenues.

Efforts have also been made to promote education and the study of medicine. To European merchants, on whom he was dependent for the sale of his exports, Ali has shown much favor, and under his influence the port of Alexandria again rose into importance. It is also under Ali's encouragement that the overland transit of goods from Europe to India via Egypt was resumed.
Economic Situation: Thanks to Egypt's controls of the entire lower Nile and Mesopotamia, Egypt is a very, very rich state. Exports of cotton and foods stuffs from the three great rivers get exported across the entire eastern Mediterranean and beyond. Egypt Province alone produces enough cotton to rival the America's, combined with the cotton from Iraq Province, this only strengthened. Spices, perfumes and metals also flow out of the caliphate across Europe and western Asia, enriching the empire further. However, the Caliphates large population means that a fortune is spent on infrastructure projects and the military, meaning little is left over for an economic crisis.
Infrastructure: Infrastructure in the cities and connecting each city (such as the canal and roads) are of good standard. The river Nile still used as a major highway, the same is true for the Euphrates and Tigirs to the east. The Red Sea (a Mamluk Lake) is also a major trade route in the Empire. However it is impossible to have good roads or canals, or anything much in the deserts to the west and south. The Caliph is also considering digging a canal from the Mediterranean to the Red Sea. Egypt's first railways is also under consideration.
Imports & Exports:
Exports:
Cotton, Silks, various fabrics, metals, spices, food stuffs, wood
Imports:
Weapons, ships, metals, food stuffs
Currency: Dinar

History: The same until 1516 (however, the Mamluk's purchased guns and became the 4th gunpowder Empire)
1516-17: The Sultan of Rum invades Mamluk held Syria from their provinces of Iraq and Anatolia. Initially they make good headway, taking Aleppo and Homs. However, outside Damascus, the Royal Mamluk Army marched in haste from Alexandrian and Jerusalem beats the armies of Rum back. This is mainly because of superior Mamluk artillery. The Caliphate takes back Syria but does not push on in to Rum itself because of internal issues.
1545-47: Two Mamluk armies invade Rumian held Iraq. The larger northern army marches down the Euphrates while a smaller army marches across down the Tigris. Until the two armies converge near Baghdad they meet little serious resistance. At Baghdad they meet the full force of Rum's Iraq garrison. After a long battle that raged for 30 hours between the two rivers, the Mamluk breakthrough the Rumian defenses after an outflanking cavalry charge. Rum sues for peace as Mamluk armies enter Basra and the Caliphate gains Iraq.
1595-1500: The Caliphate invades the Emirate of Hejaz after a border skirmish. The Mamluk armies quickly push south, killing the Emir after taking the capital Ta'if. However, a guerrilla war is fought by Emirate soldiers for five years before it is crushed by the vast armies of the Caliphate.
1620-1627: The Caliphate invades the Sultanate of Aden citing the murder of a Mamluk trader as a reason. San'a falls quickly to the Mamluks, however Aden itself is put under a siege the lasts an entire year. Finally the Mamluk artillery batter the city in to submission. However the Sultan escaped and took refuge in the mountains of Aden. After a second long counter-insurgence war, Mamluk forces crush the Aden resistance. However the state is not annex in itself, instead it is turned in to a Mamluk vassal with the cousin of the former Sultan crowned Emir.
1630: Invades Libya and takes Spanish owned Tripoli after a brief siege, taking the initiative because of the 30 Years War
1690: The son of the "ruling" (the Sultan had real power) Caliph is killed by assassins sent from Rum. The Sultan who married the Caliph's only daughter is announced heir to the title Caliph, giving him power over Islam.
1700: Caliph Al-Aladin dies, Sultan Ibrahim Pasha crowned Caliph. From now on the titles of Caliph and Sultan are united in to a dual monarchy
1730: Mamluk forces invade the Iberian owned Oman province. However, after making initial headway, the Spanish and French send a fleet to Alexandria and force the Caliph-Sultan to back-down.
1750: Mamluk forces invade Rum, citing the assassination of the Caliph's son 60 years earlier as the cause. After the small expeditionary force is defeated and forced to withdraw to Syria, a larger, better equipped force in sent north. The Mamluk cavalry surprise the forces of Rum on the shores of Lake Van, massacring many of them in the night. After a couple of smaller battles, Rum signs a peace treaty giving southern Anatolia and Cyprus over to the Mamluks.
1798: Bony invades Egypt
1805: Ali Pasha (not that one), brother of the Caliph-Sultan leads a coup against his brother, deposing him. This is in response to the humiliation Egypt was put under by the French, as well as his unwillingness to modernize.
1805-1830: Reforms of Egypt under Ali (see above) and expansion south in to Sudan
1830: Caliph-Sultan Mansour Saladini (grandson of Ali) crowned, his grandfather and father having drowned in a shipwreck of Sinai.
Miscellaneous:
RP Example: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=353341&hilit=afshar#p25948423
Last edited by Elepis on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:25 am, edited 18 times in total.
"Krugmar - Today at 10:00 PM
Not sure that'll work on Elepis considering he dislikes (from what I've observed):
A: Nationalism
B: Religion being taken seriously
C: The Irish"

Relikai
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 11, 2014
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Relikai » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:38 am

Application

Name: The United Kingdom of the Netherlands , Verenigd Koninkrijk der Nederlanden, Dutch
Symbols:
Flags and Symbol

Claims: Territory 7
Power: Secondary Power

Government Structure: Constitutional Monarchy, voting allowed only to property holding males, voting system is First-Past-The-Post Plurality.
Ideology/Policy: Expansion, Capitalism, Colonialism.
Leaders: Stadtholder William I
Capital City: Amsterdam

Population:
Netherlands - 3,092,000
Timor - 218,500
Australia - 127,200
Suriname and Antilles - 64,500
Primary Ethnic Group: Dutch, German
Minority Ethnic Groups: French, Belgian, English, South American, Australian, Timorese
Description of Ethnicity: Northern Germanic Protestants
Language: Dutch, German, French, English
Religion: Protestant, Catholic, Judaism, Old Catholic

Foreign Relations:
Pro : Russia, Prussia, Austria, Great Britain and Tokugawa Shogunate
Anti : France, Spain
Neutral : Other nations.
Military Information: Professionally trained and equipped with muskets and rifles. Dutch soldiers are few but well trained in defensive tactics.
Army Size: 17,000 infantry, 1,000 cavalry, 2,000 artillerymen. 2,000 of the infantry are of the Holland Guard.

Army of Holland
2,000 Holland Guard
7,000 Infantry
400 Cavalry
200 Artillery pieces, 40 are mobile field pieces.

Army of Antilles
3,000 Infantry
100 Cavalry
10 Artillery pieces, all mobile field pieces.

Army of Australia and Guinea
5,000 Infantry
500 Cavalry
190 Artillery pieces, 90 are mobile field pieces.

Navy Size: 22 Ship of the Lines, 46 Frigates, 68 Sloops. 10,000 sailors and marines.

Holland Fleet
10 Ship of the Lines, 13 Frigates, 23 Sloops.

Antillian Fleet
5 Ship of the Lines, 12 Frigates, 28 Sloops.

Fleet of the East
7 Ship of the Lines, 15 Frigates, 12 Sloops.

Trade Route Escort Fleet
6 Frigates, 5 Sloops.

Economic Policy: Trade and taxation is the Dutch way of generating income. Income from export of agricultural cash crops have ensured a steady flow of income for the Republic.
Economic Situation: The Cultivation System allowed the Dutch to pay off all it's debts incurred during the Java War and the Belgian Revolution. The Dutch treasury has recovered and is now generating a surplus for the growth of the Republic.
Infrastructure: Canals running through the tributaries linking coastal cities to the inner mainland ensure a secondary mode of transport other than horse and wagon. Cities are developed, many independent schools are set up and running.
Imports & Exports: Imports food, tea, coffee.
Currency: Guilder

History:

PoD 1829.

The peaceful secession of Belgium after a long electoral process has the Netherlands reorganizing the industry and economy to adapt to the inevitable changes. William I accepted this with a heavy heart, but holding on the Belgium might result in rebellion, something which must be avoided at all costs. Infrastructure improvements in Dutch colonies have been stemmed recently to improve the defences of the Homeland, although free funds could be used to strengthen Australia in the future. Netherlands Antilles do require a higher output, and policies are being drafted to draw more income from that colony, so that funds could be used to improve infrastructure.

Back home William I sought an alliance with the other major powers of the United Kingdom and the Prussian Nations. With France an ever present threat on the mainland, the Netherlands would do well to have strong allies to form a coalition with in due time.

The rise of the Nusantaran Empire in the Far East has come to Dutch attention, and wonders if they are going to continue expanding into Dutch-held territory. Dutch settlers in Australia are facing a population boom within, and are ready to make a push for the inside, or secure the rest of the island in due time.

Miscellaneous:
RP Example:
Last edited by Relikai on Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
How to be legitimately recognised in NS? Be a proper Roleplayer.
In a community where knowledge should be used to uplift the teachable and be used as an interest instead of a necessity, the arrogant abuse of knowledge is interesting to watch.

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:53 am

The Kingdom of Glitter wrote:
England isn't catholic because Columbia isn't catholic

I cri for Thomas More

I feel you.
Utopia is a damn interesting book. I wish I could get my hands on a version of it :P

Thanks for the reservation, Columbia. I'll aim to get my app up at some point today.
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919
Grand-Master of the Kyluminati

The Region of Kylaris
I'm just a simple Kylarite, trying to make my way on NS.

The Gaullican Republic,
I thank God for Three Things:
Kylaris, the death of Esquarium, and Prem <3

The Transtsabaran Federation and The Chistovodian Workers' State

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:51 am

Reservation

Name of the State: Austro-Bavarian Empire (Holy Roman Empire)
Area to be reserved: 28
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

Conwy-Shire
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Conwy-Shire » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:19 am

Application

Name: The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies
Symbols: Black Eagle - displayed; Denser Semy Fleur de Lis - a label Gules
Claims: Nation 37, claims most of the Kingdom of Valencia and the Catalans by Bourbon succession, also claims Spain by the same descent. Claims the Temporal lands of the Papal States
Power: toes the line between tertiary and secondary powers, can project sizeable power within the Mediterranean Sea.

Government Structure: Absolute Monarchy, though liberal reforms are on the horizon
Ideology/Policy: Expansionist pressure, Internal Development (Industrialization)
Leaders: Ferdinand II de Bourbon
Capital City: Napoli

Population: 8,014,819 (wikipedia est.)
Primary Ethnic Group: Neapolitan
Minority Ethnic Groups: Sicilian, various north African
Description of Ethnicity: Italian-Dalmatian hybrid
Language: Neapolitan
Religion: Roman Catholic/secular in Italian territories - Sunni Muslims inhabit the inland areas of the African posessions

Foreign Relations:
- dynastic relations to Spain (friends)
- Ferdinand II is married to a daughter of the house of Savoie - Piedmonte (marital alliance)
- the Papal States owns a great amount of Neapolitan land (resentment)
- neutral to the Balkan states ("meh")
- ambivalent to Non-Italian Europe (opinion.exe failed to launch)
- cautious towards other Italian states (proximity = threat)
- no concrete alliances (So lonely)
- residual defensive alliance with Britain after the Defence of Sicily (Likes Brits)

Military Information: Whilst the Two Sicilies are not known for technological advancement, the state procured a lucrative deal with the English to strengthen the Italian front against Napoleonic France. Due to this, the Baker Rifle became the standard issue rifle (for rifle regiments) and Domestic production rights were soon purchased at sizeable cost to the state.

Standard infantry regiments use a local musket variant similar to the "Long Land Musket". Standing soldier quality is slightly above par, with irregular units boasting regionally acclaimed marksmanship aided by the Neapolitan variant Baker Rifle.

The Neapolitan Navy is not blue-water operational, but does operate in a green-water capacity - this allows it to project suitable power inside the Mediterranean theatre.
Army Size:
~62,000 professional standing soldiers; able to conscript the same number under duress
Army:
The Sicilian Army operates within 5 Companies (3 Infantry Companies, 1 Mounted Company, and 1 Mobile Battery Company) of 12,400 men each. The 5 companies serve as the master-pool of all professional soldiers, but when operating in theatre an army group is created utilising Divisions from each company.
1st Infantry Company:
Comprised of Sicilian Nationals, the 1st Infantry Company serves as the prestigious elite force of the Sicilian Army. The 1st Infantry Company is made up of:
- The Angevin Guard (250 men), The King's Personal Guard
- The New Model Guard (750 men), Ceremonial Guard - Honorary positions
- The 1st Line Infantry Division (3,000 men), Line Infantry
- The 1st Coastal Division (2,400 men), stationed in Apulia
- The 2nd Line infantry Division (3,000 men), Line Infantry
- The Highland Fusiliers (3,000 men), stationed near Benevento

2nd Infantry Company:
Comprised mainly of Sicilian and northern Italian soldiers, the 2nd Infantry Company serves as the mainstay of the Sicilian Army, protecting Sicilian interests closer to the cities and towns. The Company includes:
- The Calabrian Fusiliers (3,000 men), Line Infantry
- The 1st Foot Guard (2,000 men), "Heavy" Line Infantry
- The 2nd Foot Guard (2,000 men), "Heavy" Line Infantry
- The 2nd Coastal Division (2,400 men), serves in Syracuse
- The Neapolitan Fusiliers (3,000 men), Line Infantry

3rd Infantry Company:
The bulk of Sicilian power projection is undertaken by the 3rd Infantry Company, which is comprised mainly of African and foreign soldiers. The 3rd Infantry Company is not used as canon fodder however they usually fight on the frontline and sustain more casualties than the other companies due to a lack in equipment/training standards. It is comprised of:
- The Tripolitanian Fusiliers (3,000 men), skirmishers
- The 3rd Line Infantry Division (3,000 men), Line Infantry
- The 3rd Coastal Division (2,400 men), stationed in Tripoli
- The Sicilian Foreign Legion (1,000 men), line infantry formation
- The Tripolitanian Militia (3,000 men), Desert-conditioned skirmishers

Mounted Company:
Whilst The Sicilian army is more infantry-based they still hold a rigid cavalry tradition from their Angevin and (i suppose) Norman national heritage. The Company mainly operates in 2 halves, in Mezzogiorno and Tripoli, they are comprised of:
- The 1st Sicilian Hussar Regiment (2,000 Hussars), serving in Calabria
- The 1st Winged Lancers Regiment (2,500 Lancers), serving in Calabria
- The 1st Sicilian Dragoons (3,900 Dragoons), serving in Tripoli
- The 1st African Light Horse Division (4,000 Light horse), serving in Tripoli

Mobile Battery Company:
The newest and most experimental of the Sicilian Companies, the Mobile battery Company serves as a heavy support battery during a ranged engagement. Whilst most members are Sicilian there are some Africans serving in increasingly important roles, the Battery Company is comprised of:
- The 1st Sicilian Fixed-Artillery Division (3,600 men [?] artillery pieces), operates heavy artillery pieces
- The 1st Sicilian Harquebus Corps (2,000 men), name is not indicative of equipment
- The 2nd Sicilian Fixed-Artillery Division (3,000 men [?] artillery pieces), operates medium-heavy artillery pieces
- The 1st Sicilian Mobile-Emplacement Corps (2,000 men), irregular teams with smaller and more portable pieces
- The 1st Sicilian Battle-Engineers Corps. (2,000 men), small organised teams serving alongside Infantry divisions

Navy Size:
34 rated ships
50 unrated support ships
various merchantmen

~8,000 personnel over all boards, marines and miscellaneous - press gangs comparable to that of the British RN operate on a smaller scale towards a similar goal.

Economic Policy: TAX ANYTHING THAT MOVES... and trade, heavily focused on the cultivation, supply and processing of agricultural goods
Economic Situation: incredibly agricultural (ie. backward) - Apparently had 65% of Italy's golden livres (according to the 24th PM of Italy), Industry is seeing city-growth, especially typified in the Lazzaroni class of Naples, there is widespread poverty in the hills and hinterlands, although if measured against the serfs of other countries (all of the citizens of the Two Sicilies are nominally free citizens... what a joke) they would be quite well-off
Infrastructure: OTL no railroads, TTL there is a single railroad connecting Naples to Reggio-Calabria - Naples houses many academic centres technically open to all but restricted by tuition fees. Industrial output is on a steady rise but not fast-growing. Cities, large towns and major roads are paved after some fashion, changing from region to region.
Imports & Exports:
Imports luxury goods, standard trade composites
exports agricultural goods, viticultural goods, textiles
Currency: Ducat (Two Sicilies)

History: POD 1615
- 1615: dissatisfied with the closeness of the Knights Hospitillar to the French, along with continued failure to conform to their ecclesiastical ideals, the king of spain revokes the Monastic Order's grant of land, seizing the island of Malta and the lands around Tripoli before incorporating them into the Sicilian Crown territories
- 1615-1815: little deviation from OTL
- 1815: Joachim Murat is deposed by popular support and British Intervention
- 1816: Ferdinand I is restored to the Throne and merges the kingdoms of Sicily and Naples into the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies
- 1816: Without influence from Austria, Ferdinand I is not forced to remain absolutist, rather turning to enlightened despotism
- 1825: after the uneventful reign of Ferdinand I, Francis I ascends to the throne
- 1827: Economic Reforms focused on standardisation across the two kingdoms comes into effect
- 1828: The first railroad in Italy is constructed between Naples and Reggio-Calabria, the latter of which becomes the staging grounds of the Sicilian Army
- 1830: Francis I dies, Ferdinand II ascends to the throne, delivers the ascension address promising liberal reforms
- 1832: Administrative districts are established, issuing legal doctrines such as the Rule of Law, Procedural Justice and other forms of equity
- Late 1834: An advisory chamber of deputies is set up, with elections due for early 1835 (male suffrage ayy)

Miscellaneous: Why does this exist?
RP Example: Must I really?

Technically Done
Last edited by Conwy-Shire on Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:30 am, edited 5 times in total.
Aurelian Stoicist
Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.

The Real MVP

Empire of Gibraltar
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Gibraltar » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:38 am

Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:
Reservation

Are we going to be friends or enemies? It could go either way?
"Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live it's entire life thinking it's stupid." -Albert Einstein
Economic Left/Right: -0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.82
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:43 am

Empire of Gibraltar wrote:
Reservation

Are we going to be friends or enemies? It could go either way?

There can be only one Germany.

Although, I would be willing to enter into a German coalition/German alliance to keep us safe from both Ruskie Inc. and Baguette Central.
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:23 am

Actually, after much debate I think I'm going to go with this (If its fine with you Columbia, of course :P)

Reservation

Name of the State: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland
Area to be reserved: 1
Last edited by Liecthenbourg on Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919
Grand-Master of the Kyluminati

The Region of Kylaris
I'm just a simple Kylarite, trying to make my way on NS.

The Gaullican Republic,
I thank God for Three Things:
Kylaris, the death of Esquarium, and Prem <3

The Transtsabaran Federation and The Chistovodian Workers' State

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

Empire of Gibraltar
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Gibraltar » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:09 am

Empire of Gibraltar wrote:Are we going to be friends or enemies? It could go either way?

There can be only one Germany.

Although, I would be willing to enter into a German coalition/German alliance to keep us safe from both Ruskie Inc. and Baguette Central.

Establish the Reich Allianz: Check
"Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live it's entire life thinking it's stupid." -Albert Einstein
Economic Left/Right: -0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.82
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse