NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Repeal "Commend Quote of the Day"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

[DEFEATED] Repeal "Commend Quote of the Day"

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:58 am

The Security Council,

RECOGNIZING that The Quote of the Day (TQOTD) failed to deliver the "quotes of wisdom" in the days leading to the fall of the nation,

POINTING OUT that many nations participate in the same activities described in the minimal commendation of The Quote of the Day, including traveling to regions and leaving quotes of wisdom and congratulations, and that The Quote of the Day is only one of multiple nations that leave such greetings for regions,

ACKNOWLEDGING that TQOTD wrote very minimalistic greetings, and that many messages left by TQOTD contained the same, copied content with a minor salutation,

DISTURBED by the cherry-picking policies employed by TQOTD and the refusal to visit regions that did not agree with TQOTD's policy, and that the original Commendation in question blatantly lies about this point,

NOTING that The Quote of the Day does not perform any unique or special world-changing activities, nor do the actions of The Quote of the Day affect the world or the World Assembly at large,

FURTHER NOTING that TQOTD no longer exists as a nation, and wishing to remove a Commendation from a nation that no longer exists in order to prune the halls of the Security Council,

WISHING TO, instead, pave the way for a future Commendation of the The Featured Region Followers as a whole and refrain from Commending individual members of the aforementioned region,

HEREBY REPEALS Commend The Quote of the Day.

This is being revived in conjunction with an active effort to commend the Featured Region Followers on a whole.
Last edited by Sedgistan on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Frenequesta » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:00 pm

I'm all for repealing SC resolutions that reward the person behind it more than the nation itself. Automatic support.
I’m mostly here for... something to do, I suppose.

Fischistan
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Fischistan » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Skyrim Diplomacy wrote:The Quote of the Day (TQOTD) failed to delivery the "quotes of wisdom"

failed to deliver
the fall of the nation

Specify what you mean by this. Did it CTE?

many nations participate in the same activities described in the minimal commendation of The Quote of the Day and that The Quote of the Day is only one of multiple nations that leave such greetings for regions

Make sure to describe what those activities are.
The Quote of the Day does not perform any unique or special world-changing activities

What TQOTD did was unique, that's why he was commended.
Xavier D'Montagne
Fischistani Ambassador to the WA
Unibot II wrote:It's Carta. He CANNOT Fail. Only successes in reverse.
The Matthew Islands wrote:Knowledge is knowing the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Anthony Delasanta wrote:its was not genocide it was ethnic cleansing...
Socorra wrote:A religion-free abortion thread is like a meat-free hamburger.
Help is on its Way: UDL
Never forget 11 September.
Never look off the edge of cliff on a segway.

11 September 1973, of course.

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:06 pm

Support. I never liked that proposal
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:11 pm

Specify what you mean by this. Did it CTE?

Indeed, but I'm not sure if CTE is proposal appropriate.

What TQOTD did was unique, that's why he was commended.

And now, it isn't, so the commendation should be repealed :lol:

Grammatical errors and specifics have been adjusted as well.

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drop Your Pants » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:02 pm

And now, it isn't, so the commendation should be repealed

So if i do something that someone else has done then we have to repeal their commend too? Bugger that.
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

Paper Flowers
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Paper Flowers » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:47 am

Skyrim Diplomacy wrote:And now, it isn't, so the commendation should be repealed :lol:

Except that the original commendation never claimed the action was unique, merely that it was worthy of commendation.

RECOGNIZING that The Quote of the Day (TQOTD) failed to deliver the "quotes of wisdom" in the days leading to the fall of the nation,

Was this just in the days immediately prior to the nation ceasing to exist? Or had the nation stopped these activities for a length of time before that?

POINTING OUT that many nations participate in the same activities described in the minimal commendation of The Quote of the Day, including traveling to regions and leaving quotes of wisdom and congratulations, and that The Quote of the Day is only one of multiple nations that leave such greetings for regions,

As I was not around at the time, perhaps someone else could help me on this one, were there other nations doing this at the time of the original Commendation? If not then I don't see how this is particularly relevant. (Just because other people did it later, doesn't mean he shouldn't be commended for doing it first.)

Not quite sure whether I'm for/against this repeal yet, I just don't think the arguments made in it hold much water (looking back at the original debate topic there seem to be some more valid reasons there to repeal this commendation.)
Liam. A. Saunders - Paper Flowers Ambassador to the World Assembly.

Factbook (under construction - last update 14th November 2012)
Current Affairs - Ambassador Walkers disappearance remains a mystery, Ambassador Saunders promoted in his place.

Warzone Codger
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Warzone Codger » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:56 am

Paper Flowers wrote:
Skyrim Diplomacy wrote:And now, it isn't, so the commendation should be repealed :lol:

Except that the original commendation never claimed the action was unique, merely that it was worthy of commendation.

Was this just in the days immediately prior to the nation ceasing to exist? Or had the nation stopped these activities for a length of time before that?

Quote of the Day chose to retire and let his nation CTE with The Featured Region Followers and delivered this retirement speech to them http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=558663 . Before his retirement, he was still delivering Quotes.
Warwick Z Codger the Warzone Codger.
Warzone Pioneer | Peacezone Philosopher | Scourge of Polls | Forever Terror Officer of TRR
GA #121: Medical Facilities Protection | SC #183: Commend Haiku | Commended by SC #87: Commend Warzone Codger

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:22 am

Edited once more. I may try a pass at this relatively soon. ^_^

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:19 am

Submitted!

*returns to vigorous WA campaigning*

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:24 am

Does a nations actions have to 'effect the... World Assembly at large' to be commendably? :eyebrow:
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:35 am

Cromarty wrote:Does a nations actions have to 'effect the... World Assembly at large' to be commendably? :eyebrow:

Yes, otherwise we would be commending everyone for answering issues. :lol:

The Guide to the SC states that commendations should be based on the following:

•The Security Council should recognise those whose actions align with the principles of the World Assembly.
•The Security Council should acknowledge those who have a significant/unique impact on NationStates.
•The nominee’s actions need to be immortalized for future generations to learn from.

I believe that The Quote of the Day showed none of those things, nor were the actions of the nation anything extraordinary.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:28 am

NAZI EUROPE again? :rofl:
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:40 pm

Revived in conjunction with an attempt to commend the FRF on a whole.

Paffnia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Paffnia » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:23 pm

Thanks for the link in the OP.

I'm all for the idea of the repeal, but that mention of NAZI EUROPE--is it strictly necessary? To be honest, in his/her place, I would've also skipped the region. There are plenty of other reasons for repeal, but this doesn't sit well with me.

You could also perhaps mention that a commendation of the region TFRF would equally honor TQOTD and his/her compatriots (though I'm not sure how much you are legally allowed to say about a potential future commendation in a reapal of another one).
Former Delegate of 10000 Islands
Knight of TITO

WA Ambassador: Joakim Metyhap
Paffniac Factbook
Author, SC #93: Commend The Featured Region Followers, Issue #1479: Fares Fair?
Commended by SC #276

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:07 am

Paffnia wrote:I'm all for the idea of the repeal, but that mention of NAZI EUROPE--is it strictly necessary? To be honest, in his/her place, I would've also skipped the region. There are plenty of other reasons for repeal, but this doesn't sit well with me.

Altered the proposal to read
DISTURBED by the cherry-picking policies employed by TQOTD and the refusal to visit regions that did not agree with TQOTD's policy,

Paffnia wrote:You could also perhaps mention that a commendation of the region TFRF would equally honor TQOTD and his/her compatriots

I've attempted to address that in the final line, which I believe is vague enough to be rule-compliant. :lol:

Eist
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Eist » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:46 am

I don't want to personally attack the linguistic abilities of Skyrim, but I guess it comes with the territory when you put something out for public vote.

I dislike the style of prose and bad grammar in this proposal almost as much as the original commendation. There are so many poorly written aspects here that I won't even begin to go into them. Would it be possible to get someone to co-author this piece who has a better grasp of the English language to clean it up?
Unibot III wrote:Frankly, the lows that people sink to in this game is perhaps the most disturbing thing about NationStates Gameplay.

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:31 am

Eist wrote:I don't want to personally attack the linguistic abilities of Skyrim, but I guess it comes with the territory when you put something out for public vote.

I dislike the style of prose and bad grammar in this proposal almost as much as the original commendation. There are so many poorly written aspects here that I won't even begin to go into them. Would it be possible to get someone to co-author this piece who has a better grasp of the English language to clean it up?

Specific points being? I do believe my English is fine (granted, I am using a government computer currently, meaning IE and minimal spell-checking abilites :lol: )

Eist
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Eist » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:19 pm

Skyrim Diplomacy wrote:
Eist wrote:I don't want to personally attack the linguistic abilities of Skyrim, but I guess it comes with the territory when you put something out for public vote.

Specific points being? I do believe my English is fine (granted, I am using a government computer currently, meaning IE and minimal spell-checking abilites :lol: )

ACKNOWLEDGING that TQOTD wrote minimal greetings at best, and that many messages left by TQOTD contained the same, copied content with a minor salutation,

DISTURBED by the cherry-picking policies employed by TQOTD and the refusal to visit regions that did not agree with TQOTD's policy,

NOTING that The Quote of the Day does not perform any unique or special world-changing activities, nor do the actions of The Quote of the Day affect the world or the World Assembly at large,

Further Noting that TQOTD no longer exists as a nation, and wishing to remove a Commendation from a nation that no longer exists, much less deserves said Commendation,

Wishing To, instead, pave the way for a future Commendation of the The Featured Region Followers as a whole and refrain from Commending individual members of said region,

HEREBY REPEALS Commend The Quote of the Day.

Skyrim Diplomacy wrote:"quotes of wisdom"

They were not "quotes of wisdom", merrily a quote of the day. You have just assumed the wisdom part.

Skyrim Diplomacy wrote:wrote minimal greetings at best

What do you mean “at best”? Better than what? It’s hyperbole. While we are at it, what do you mean “minimal greetings”? Minimal, to me, requires some sort of baseline or level. For example; “John’s work output was minimal, but just above the level required so that he was not fired.” “Few” would be a better option, in my opinion.

Skyrim Diplomacy wrote:Further Noting that TQOTD no longer exists as a nation, and wishing to remove a Commendation from a nation that no longer exists, much less deserves said Commendation,

This is just grammatically incorrect; it does not logically follow. I think you need to expand on it a bit, and split it into two sentences.

These are just the obvious examples. Personally, I think it needs a complete rewrite, although it should be commended that all of the aspects to a repeal that I can think of are present. The writing is somewhat linguistically awkward, but mostly it is just structured in a way that I do not gel with, not least because it is filled with hyperbole and your own assumptions. It’s fairly inelegant and somewhat unintuitive (as exemplified by the last quote I gave.) I am far from the best writer around here, for example, AMOM’s writing is much better than mine - I love studying his prose style and mechanics - but I think I have a decent eye for what is good, and what is lacking. Either way, I hope that you can see what I am driving at, and, again, I urge you to consider getting a co-author to help.
Unibot III wrote:Frankly, the lows that people sink to in this game is perhaps the most disturbing thing about NationStates Gameplay.

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:18 am

Eist wrote:They were not "quotes of wisdom", merrily a quote of the day. You have just assumed the wisdom part.

This line refers to original commendation, and is not my own prose, hence the quotations.

Eist wrote:What do you mean “at best”? Better than what? It’s hyperbole. While we are at it, what do you mean “minimal greetings”? Minimal, to me, requires some sort of baseline or level. For example; “John’s work output was minimal, but just above the level required so that he was not fired.” “Few” would be a better option, in my opinion.

A fair point, changed to read "ACKNOWLEDGING that TQOTD wrote very minimalistic greetings, and that many messages left by TQOTD contained the same, copied content with a minor salutation"

Eist wrote:
This is just grammatically incorrect; it does not logically follow. I think you need to expand on it a bit, and split it into two sentences.

Again, a fair point. Removed the last little tidbit.
Last edited by Skyrim Diplomacy on Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:43 am

Submitted as posted in the OP.

Eist
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Eist » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:16 am

Despite my negative responses above, I will be voting FOR this repeal.

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:07 am

Eist wrote:Despite my negative responses constructive criticism above, I will be voting FOR this repeal.

There, fixed it. :lol: Hopefully this can reach quorum-I'll be sending more TGs later today.

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drop Your Pants » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:24 am

I approve of this proposal :)
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:29 am

Drop Your Pants wrote:I approve of this proposal :)

Now just get reaaaal close to Griffin and whisper "Approve the proposal!"

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives