NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread 9: Parabellum [NO KAIJU]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

No step on snek

Reeeeeeeeeee
8%
Oh fug :D DDDDD
4%
10mm best mm
9%
Ford should stop posting swords
30%
Puz is eternal leader of IDT
32%
Kyiv is not actually a tank but instead is a man trapped inside a tanks body
9%
Other assorted memes
8%

Total votes : 53

Laritaia
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Mon May 30, 2016 11:02 am

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:
Laritaia wrote:what's the point having a razor sharp blade when you're opponent is wearing full plate.

Let me rephrase this another way:

What's the point of having AP ammunition if the armor of the best tank on the battlefield won't be scratched by it?

I think the answer is pretty obvious.

My point was that having a sword that's overly sharp doesn't really offer any advantage over a more resilient edge. The edges on European swords may not have been touch it and you cut yourself sharp but they would still take an arm off when swung hard enough.

sharpening them further would have been a lot of wasted effort.

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 » Mon May 30, 2016 11:04 am

Laritaia wrote:
Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:Let me rephrase this another way:

What's the point of having AP ammunition if the armor of the best tank on the battlefield won't be scratched by it?

My point was that having a sword that's overly sharp doesn't really offer any advantage over a more resilient edge. The edges on European swords may not have been touch it and you cut yourself sharp but they would still take an arm off when swung hard enough.

Why not both?

By the 15th century, Europeans had good enough steel to make sharp blades that generally wouldn't chip or break. And even a dull blade can still cut pretty well. It likely would have just been the preference of the owner.
militant radical centrist in the sheets, neoclassical realist in the streets.
Saving this here so I can peruse it at my leisure.
In IC the Federated Kingdom of Prussia, 1950s-2000s timeline. Prussia backs a third-world Balkans puppet state called Sal Kataria.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon May 30, 2016 11:07 am

Laritaia wrote:
Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:Let me rephrase this another way:

They were very sharp, sharp enough that running your finger along the blade would result in ouch

The sharper a sword is and the more tapered the edge is, the better it will cut. Cutting ability almost always comes before edge retention, because no blade dulls over the course of a single battle. If you can have a really sharp blade, why wouldn't have one? It just means it will perform better than a less sharp but otherwise identical blade

but they would still take an arm off when swung hard enough

That doesn't happen except outside of battle.
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Puzikas » Mon May 30, 2016 11:33 am

I've seen a few arm losses to crushing
Far more effective than slashing
Obviously best weapon is a hydrollic press.
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Mon May 30, 2016 11:35 am

it doesn't matter since swords were dull except for the last 4 inches anyway

it's true

an SCA member with 30+ years reenactment experience told me so

swords are just glorified clubs rlly Image
Unreachable.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon May 30, 2016 11:43 am

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:swords are just glorified clubs rlly (Image)

except katana

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Mon May 30, 2016 11:51 am

fact: katana were used for shaving

yari, tetsubo, and masakari were used for killing
Unreachable.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon May 30, 2016 11:57 am

Don't be silly Japanese people aren't manly enough to grow facial hair

Rhodesialund
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Mon May 30, 2016 12:08 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:swords are just glorified clubs rlly (Image)

except katana

http://i.imgur.com/Xpc8R8l.jpg

Katana is silly sword. Only good for castration and suicide, particularly in that order. :clap:
Last edited by Rhodesialund on Mon May 30, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Name: Valintina/Tina
Bio: President Donald Trump's Concubine

The balkens
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Mon May 30, 2016 12:12 pm

Rhodesialund wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:
except katana

Katana is silly sword. Only good for castration and suicide, particularly in that order. :clap:

You are channeling Tsavon, holy shit.

EsToVnIa
Senator

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Mon May 30, 2016 12:19 pm

katana is fine

e:
The balkens wrote:
Rhodesialund wrote:

who?
Last edited by EsToVnIa on Mon May 30, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most Heavenly State/Khamgiin Tengerleg Uls

Weeaboo Gassing Land wrote:Also, rev up the gas chambers.

The United States of North Amerigo wrote:CUNT

12:02:02 AM <Tarsas> premislyd is my spirit animal tbh

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Mon May 30, 2016 12:20 pm

That's strong. That's real strong.
Unreachable.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon May 30, 2016 12:20 pm

Estovnia wrote:katana is fine

As in damn gurl u fine

The balkens
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Mon May 30, 2016 12:22 pm

e:
The balkens wrote:

who?

He who as ascended into a higher plane of existence.

Rhodesialund
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Mon May 30, 2016 12:33 pm

Name: Valintina/Tina
Bio: President Donald Trump's Concubine

EsToVnIa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Mon May 30, 2016 12:44 pm

The balkens wrote:

e:

who?

you mean be repeatedly breaking the rules because he thought he was being funny so much so he got DoS?

:^)

Rhodesialund wrote:

tbf that's where all swords belong after like 1877

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon May 30, 2016 12:46 pm

Estovnia wrote:
The balkens wrote:

you mean be repeatedly breaking the rules because he thought he was being funny so much so he got DoS?

:^)

You just don't understand humour. kek trelelelelled anon

The balkens
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Mon May 30, 2016 12:46 pm

If you can have a New Nicksylvania cult then we can have a Tsavon/ Corda cult

EsToVnIa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Mon May 30, 2016 12:48 pm

nobody has new nickylsvania

this isn't 2011

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon May 30, 2016 12:49 pm

who though

EsToVnIa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Mon May 30, 2016 12:51 pm

yeah exactly

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Mon May 30, 2016 1:44 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Crookfur wrote:For that sort of task yeah but it really just looks unwieldy as an actual weapon.

Sure. Like I said I didn't really have an aim with it. Still could look pretty scary to some shitty peasant.

unessicary

I feel your pain

And the rendering scene in Marco Polo was rather unessicary, it was like the writers suddenly remembered that they were writing about the mongols and had to make some BRUTAL! Edge Lord stuff up to counter act the rest of series which portrays them as pretty decent dudes.

Give link

Really don't want to search for it and it is very NSFW but its in Season 1 episode 8 "Rendering" if you have netflix or soem other means of watching thigns from netflix.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon May 30, 2016 1:49 pm

Why would I have netflix I'm poor

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon May 30, 2016 2:30 pm

Ford, I call you!
I would first like to make it clear that Japanese armor was made in different qualities, namely loan armor and owned armor, loan armor can be divided into two groups, ashigaru grade, and samurai grade.
These three groups of armor were of a different quality in both a metallurgical sense, as well as their construction method.

I'll start with ashigaru loan armor, from what I've personally seen and read is that these armors were of poor mass produced quality, the plates are crude in shape (as can be seen on the inside of a cuirass) and were a one size fits all, they were made of pure wrought iron plate (or hardened rawhide, Japanese armor of all qualities could be made of hardened rawhide).
Those made in the Kanto area (the area around Tokyo) have some slag inclusions (that's a bad thing, if you have a lot of these and they are somewhat large they will make steel brittle), this is because of the somewhat different smelting method used in that area compared to the South of Japan were iron and steel was almost slag free (as far as that's possible with non modern iron/steel).
From what I've seen, the amount of slag inclusions present in Japanese iron and steel is pretty much inconsequential, for comparison, large slag inclusions are very commonly present in large quantities in old European iron and steel, although this too might be quality related, as there are known cases where the slag in European iron/steel is no big deal.

As for samurai grade loan armor for the rank and file samurai infantry, I don't have much to go on here, metallographic research on these things is lacking (or I just haven't seen it yet).
From what I've seen, antique loan armor for samurai looks like decent quality, and it makes sense for it to be somewhere in between ashigaru armor and owned armor in quality.
As far as the iron/steel these armors are made of... I can only speculate here, I think it would make sense for it to be mild steel, and if it is, then they would most likely have hardened the steel as knowledge of the hardening process was common knowledge among Japanese armorers.

About owned armor for the kiba-musha (the Japanese equivalent of the European knight), this is very high grade stuff, the Chukokatchu seisakuben mentions it's hardening through tempering and quenching, this is normal, just like for swords.
The hardness varies a lot and depends on the school of armorers, like the Haruta school made very hard armor of thin plates while the Myochin school made them somewhat soft but thicker.
Individual plates were made of two piece construction, one outer piece that is made of hardened steel and faced the enemy, and another that was made of wrought iron or a low carbon steel plate (or perhaps even mild steel, this could no doubt be different for different schools and maybe even individual armorers or time periods).

The Leeds Royal Armouries have done some research into this, the link to their page with the results no longer exists (or I just can't find it), but the info still exists on the internet, I will post it here:
THE METALLURGY OF JAPANESE PLATE ARMOUR

The question:
Compared to European armour, a very limited amount of Japanese armour has been examined metallurgically. Documentary sources, such as the text of Sakikabara Kōzan published in 1800, suggest that, particularly with the introduction of firearms in the 16th-century, Japanese armourers went to considerable lengths to increase the protection offered by their armour.
Could metallographic examination of some stray plates donated for scientific analysis, tell us more about the metallurgical quality and effectiveness of Japanese armour?

Results of analysis:
This section of armour is of composite construction, comprising an outer face of steel (shown as the dark-etching phase in the micrograph above) and an inner lining of pure iron (the bright phase, ferrite). The steel is distinctly harder and tougher which would help prevent the penetration of projectiles, whilst the softer iron behind is ideal for absorbing the energy of the impact.
The content of slag inclusions is exceedingly low compared with other traditionally produced ironwork and the ferrous plate is protected from corrosion by numerous coats of lacquer.

(Image)

Significance:
This armour has clearly been constructed from two different carefully chosen and skilfully worked materials, such that even with a thickness of about 1mm the armour would provide the best possible level of protection for the wearer.
A piece of cheaper armour, examined at the same time was constructed entirely of soft iron containing many slag inclusions so the quality of armour may be very variable.

Output:
The results of this recent research were first made public in a series of talks that accompanied the Royal Armouries Shogun exhibition in 2005. A broader research project looking at the metallurgy of Japanese armour is now planned.

And here is an interesting source about mail: https://www.jim.or.jp/journal/j/pdf3/78/04/149.pdf

There was also a mask that was sold by a well known antiquarian that has the inscription: "Yoshiazu of Morioka made this in hard steel for Shimizu", https://www.pinterest.com/pin/335236765984591029/

As for differences during time periods, 16th century and later armor doesn't show any significant differences that I'm aware of, as for older armor... who knows?
Most antique armor dates from the 16th century and later, so metallographic research tends to focus on those armors.
I do not expect there to be much of a difference because the hardening process was well know in Japan throughout the history of samurai armor.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Heavonia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Heavonia » Mon May 30, 2016 2:34 pm

The balkens wrote:If you can have a New Nicksylvania cult then we can have a Tsavon/ Corda cult

Did Tsavon get bannded? What, when, why?

(Also, Tsavon was Bajistania or whatever, the Halo-esque nation, wasn't he?)
I am the personification of Perfidious Albion...
Heavonian Embassy Thread
Heavonian Factbook

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information