NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread, Pattern 7: Sword Edition.

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who Will be the OP of the next Infantry Thread?

Roski
3%
Prem (Estovnia)
10%
Puzikas
34%
Korva
18%
Eisarn-Ara
10%
Immoren
12%
Nirvash Type TheEND
12%

Total votes : 67

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:03 pm

Any idea how many doctors, surgeons and veterinarians should be in a Medical Legion supporting a Legion of 8000-8500 men (not counting other support personnel) and nearly 2000 horses and mules? I can't find much info regarding numbers, and stuff I do find seems to be conflicting. Having a Legion larger than a typical Roman one doesn't help either.

For doctors and surgeons, I was thinking three per century (or per one hundred men) with 5 orderlies each. That would be around 85 doctors with 255 orderlies per Legion. Same with surgeons. No idea if that's too high or low, if the numbers should be different for either doctors or surgeons, etc
Last edited by Fordorsia on Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Nueva San Cristobel
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nueva San Cristobel » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:17 pm

To everyone who responded, thanks for the advice. Will be sticking with it and a few Brasilian derivatives that I base my tech on anyway.
La Republica Federal de San Cristobel
Manna Chronicle
San Cristobellan Liberation Front gains seats in the Senate, many shocked, many more not shocked

New Rostil's Mexico+Peru, much to the head-tilting confusion of Mexicans and Peruvians everywhere.

Yukonastan
Negotiator

Founded: May 17, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Yukonastan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:56 pm

Completely unrelated and glorious as fuck.
this guy is a fucking furry and a therian
Btw, here's my IC flag

"Purp go to bed." - Nirvash Type TheEnd

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:03 pm

Fordorsia wrote:Any idea how many doctors, surgeons and veterinarians should be in a Medical Legion supporting a Legion of 8000-8500 men (not counting other support personnel) and nearly 2000 horses and mules? I can't find much info regarding numbers, and stuff I do find seems to be conflicting. Having a Legion larger than a typical Roman one doesn't help either.

For doctors and surgeons, I was thinking three per century (or per one hundred men) with 5 orderlies each. That would be around 85 doctors with 255 orderlies per Legion. Same with surgeons. No idea if that's too high or low, if the numbers should be different for either doctors or surgeons, etc

Long story short, no one knows, but there's a reasonable chance that there weren't any real trained doctors among the legions (I know, I was surprised too), but rather the soldiers themselves treated each other, and there seems to have some who were better at it than others and so were usually sought out, as well as potentially some surgeons in training who had tagged along for the experience.

Medieval armies typically had one surgeon for every 400-500 men, while the Byzantines apparently had one surgeon for every 240 men (period unknown to me) and 8-10 corpsmen for every 310 men (early 6th century).
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I liked the prostitute - never quote me on that.

Puzikas wrote:This is beyond condom on toes. This is full on Bra-on-balls.

Puzikas wrote:Im not cheep-You can quote me on that.

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Live fire is not an effective means of communication.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:18 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:Any idea how many doctors, surgeons and veterinarians should be in a Medical Legion supporting a Legion of 8000-8500 men (not counting other support personnel) and nearly 2000 horses and mules? I can't find much info regarding numbers, and stuff I do find seems to be conflicting. Having a Legion larger than a typical Roman one doesn't help either.

Long story short, no one knows, but there's a reasonable chance that there weren't any real trained doctors among the legions (I know, I was surprised too), but rather the soldiers themselves treated each other, and there seems to have some who were better at it than others and so were usually sought out, as well as potentially some surgeons in training who had tagged along for the experience.

I don't know about no one knowing. People seem pretty sure at least on the basics.
It seems that soldiers looking after each other, relying on personal abilities, was the case before the second century, but not really after then. The medici might not of been actual doctors, but they would have been much better than your average grunt.

At least I can handwave it and have more professionally trained doctors and surgeons. After all, it isn't a perfect copy of Rome.

Medieval armies typically had one surgeon for every 400-500 men

Poor bastards

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:23 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:

I don't know about no one knowing. People seem pretty sure at least on the basics.
It seems that soldiers looking after each other, relying on personal abilities, was the case before the second century, but not really after then. The medici might not of been actual doctors, but they would have been much better than your average grunt.

At least I can handwave it and have more professionally trained doctors and surgeons. After all, it isn't a perfect copy of Rome.

Medieval armies typically had one surgeon for every 400-500 men

Poor bastards

https://www.academia.edu/557446/Roman_m ... sideration

I seem to recall that modern armies have a similar doctor:soldier ratio.

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:29 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

Poor bastards

https://www.academia.edu/557446/Roman_m ... sideration

Neat. I won't read it all but I get the idea. Still, having a small professionally trained medical Legion is fine by me. Gotta be better than Rome somehow.

To be fair doctors or "doctors" back then would have been completely bogged down in patients thanks to no modern medicine, tools or other magic stuff. Then again they would have just brute forced an operation if they were that desperate so I guess the absence of morphine wasn't a big deal.

Also modern infantrymen have all sorts of medical contraptions themselves that they can use to patch someone up quickly. I wouldn't say it's the best thing to compare medical care now with medical care from centuries ago just because the ratio is similar.

So, a surgeon will lead 3 orderlies and 2 collectors (these guys have the fun job of finding and retrieving wounded soldiers if other soldiers didn't and removing dead patients, as well as doing any general jobs the surgeon needs doing). Doctors will have just the 3 orderlies. I suppose I'll have 2 vets with 3 orderlies each per cavalry cohort.
So with one doctor and surgeon per century, that would come to 69 Doctors with 207 Orderlies, 69 Surgeons with 207 Orderlies and 138 Collectors, 8 vets with 20 orderlies, and I guess they would all be led by a Medical Centurion (as opposed to a Senior Centurion who leads infantry cohorts) who himself has 3 orderlies (I'm assuming he'd be an actual trained doctor). That all comes to 722 in a Medical Legion.

This isn't as boring as I thought it would be.

Super clear and easy to understand picture

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:44 pm

Fordorsia wrote:

Neat. I won't read it all but I get the idea. Still, having a small professionally trained medical Legion is fine by me. Gotta be better than Rome somehow.

To be fair doctors or "doctors" back then would have been completely bogged down in patients thanks to no modern medicine, tools or other magic stuff. Then again they would have just brute forced an operation if they were that desperate so I guess the absence of morphine wasn't a big deal.

Also modern infantrymen have all sorts of medical contraptions themselves that they can use to patch someone up quickly. I wouldn't say it's the best thing to compare medical care now with medical care from centuries ago just because the ratio is similar.

So, a surgeon will lead 3 orderlies and 2 collectors (these guys have the fun job of finding and retrieving wounded soldiers if other soldiers didn't and removing dead patients, as well as doing any general jobs the surgeon needs doing). Doctors will have just the 3 orderlies. I suppose I'll have 2 vets with 3 orderlies each per cavalry cohort.
So with one doctor and surgeon per century, that would come to 69 Doctors with 207 Orderlies, 69 Surgeons with 207 Orderlies and 138 Collectors, 8 vets with 20 orderlies, and I guess they would all be led by a Medical Centurion (as opposed to a Senior Centurion who leads infantry cohorts) who himself has 3 orderlies (I'm assuming he'd be an actual trained doctor). That all comes to 722 in a Medical Legion.

I don't see the point in having both surgeons and doctors, and I really think that you should have one surgeon per two centuries and three corpsmen per century.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:56 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

I don't see the point in having both surgeons and doctors, and I really think that you should have one surgeon per two centuries and three corpsmen per century.

One deals with illnesses and such and the other deals with injuries. Is there enough overlap that the surgeon could do both?

Would a corpsman just be a doctor, or a "doctor".

And I assume the surgeon having 3 orderlies is fine?

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:08 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:

One deals with illnesses and such and the other deals with injuries. Is there enough overlap that the surgeon could do both?

In a military context, the surgeon is good enough, and doctors aren't likely to want to sully themselves by dealing with common soldiery.

Corpsmen = semi-skilled soldier retrieving the wounded from the battlefield and perhaps treating them if the doctor is busy with more complicated things.

I, personally, would just use corpsmen as orderlies because there isn't any real evidence of them in a military context in this time period, and because I like my armies lean.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:10 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:

With Ancient and/or Middle Ages medicine there is going to be more overlap than in the modern times. There understanding of surgery really wasn't advanced enough to need a separate specialized education.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:13 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

In a military context, the surgeon is good enough, and doctors aren't likely to want to sully themselves by dealing with common soldiery.

Corpsmen = semi-skilled soldier retrieving the wounded from the battlefield and perhaps treating them if the doctor is busy with more complicated things.

I, personally, would just use corpsmen as orderlies because there isn't any real evidence of them in a military context in this time period, and because I like my armies lean.

Great. Means I can get rid of collectors too. Or should I keep them to still collect the wounded and to assist the surgeon with non-graphic errands?

I shall use corpsmen then. What should I name them? Can't really call them corpsmen in 50AD.

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:47 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:

Great. Means I can get rid of collectors too. Or should I keep them to still collect the wounded and to assist the surgeon with non-graphic errands?

I shall use corpsmen then. What should I name them? Can't really call them corpsmen in 50AD.

Medici or Medica.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:53 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

Medici or Medica.

Would Surgeon Assistant not suffice? I don't plan on going with the Latin naming scheme, which is why I've had difficulty coming up with names for the units. I'll try to keep things in English and as understandable as possible.

Edit: Actually I only need a name for Century, since cohort and Legion are already English words (or at least commonly used in English)

Edit 2: Just realized Century is also English or common enough in English to not bother. Fuck it.
Last edited by Fordorsia on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:04 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:
Medici or Medica.

Would Surgeon Assistant not suffice? I don't plan on going with the Latin naming scheme, which is why I've had difficulty coming up with names for the units. I'll try to keep things in English and as understandable as possible.

Edit: Actually I only need a name for Century, since cohort and Legion are already English words (or at least commonly used in English)

Edit 2: Just realized Century is also English or common enough in English to not bother. Fuck it.

Medic, then. It's just the anglicised form of medici.

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Immoren » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:05 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:
Medici or Medica.

Hundred obviously.
IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:07 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

Thanks for the help

Actually I don't suppose there is an issue with their commander being Medical Centurion, is there?

Immoren wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

Hundred obviously.

Eh, using a number in the context of naming units is a bit silly. Even if century does mean 100
Last edited by Fordorsia on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:09 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:

Thanks for the help

Immoren wrote:
Hundred obviously.

Eh, using a number in the context of naming units is a bit silly. Even if century does mean 100

I use Anglo-Saxon versions of modern words. Tien, fiftig, hundred, fifhundred, thusend, etc.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:10 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:
Thanks for the help

I use Anglo-Saxon versions of modern words. Tien, fiftig, hundred, fifhundred, thusend, etc.

Disgusting.

Also from my edit. Any issues with Medical Centurion?

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:27 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:

Disgusting.

I don't think so.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:30 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:
Disgusting.

I don't think so.

Great.

Another damn question: With a surgeon per two centuries and three medics per century, I'm assuming they aren't actually attached to any specific units, right? At least not the surgeons? Also would the medics be under the command of the surgeon, or if they are attached to a century, under the centurion?

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:36 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:
I don't think so.

Great.

Another damn question: With a surgeon per two centuries and three medics per century, I'm assuming they aren't actually attached to any specific units, right? At least not the surgeons? Also would the medics be under the command of the surgeon, or if they are attached to a century, under the centurion?

The Byzantines took medics from within their unit and had them follow along behind to pick them up off the battlefield. I've taken this to mean that they were still part of their tagma, but just performing a different role in combat.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:41 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:
Great.

The Byzantines took medics from within their unit and had them follow along behind to pick them up off the battlefield. I've taken this to mean that they were still part of their tagma, but just performing a different role in combat.

So they're part of the Medical Legion under the Surgeons and Medical Centurion, just working as close to the shit as possible. Thanks a lot.

Done
The Head Surgeons are the most qualified people fixers in the army, and are also the Medical Centurions' second in command.
Last edited by Fordorsia on Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schwere Panzer Abieltung 502
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Schwere Panzer Abieltung 502 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:52 pm

Would there be any use in treating common legionaries in basic first aid? With the weapons of the day, I'd guess that they would do stuff like put pressure on stab/cut wounds, not pull out darts or arrows which might be acting as plugs, and whatever other medical knowledge they might have(unlike something such as not moving someone with a spine injury, or washing your hands before touching a wound).
3dank5u
call me Shannon ^-^

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:02 pm

Schwere Panzer Abieltung 502 wrote:Would there be any use in treating common legionaries in basic first aid? With the weapons of the day, I'd guess that they would do stuff like put pressure on stab/cut wounds, not pull out darts or arrows which might be acting as plugs, and whatever other medical knowledge they might have(unlike something such as not moving someone with a spine injury, or washing your hands before touching a wound).

Basic first aid of that level can be taught in a couple of hours, easily. Most of the soldiers would probably have already picked it up, though that isn't a certainty. The surgeon for each unit could just give them a lecture on what to do for a stabbed comrade every couple of months, or years, and things would be fine. It would be a funny lecture to listen to though, probably filled with things that are woefully wrong and/or superstitions.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information