NATION

PASSWORD

Do real-world religions apply in your nation?

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Do real-world religions apply in your nation?

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:01 pm

PLEASE read the full question before you reply! This is a much more complex question than it may seem.

Greetings, fellow nations of the world! To you I pose a less-than-simple question: Do real-world religions (I.e. Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, etc.) apply within you IC canon?

Let me elaborate. Let us say that you are, hypothetically, a MT nation with Islam as a predominant religion. You reside in a region full of other Islamic nations, as well as a smattering of predominantly Christian nations. Your concept of time is completely different from that of the real world. Rome never existed. The continent Gondwana never split. Did Muhammad ever receive revalations from the Angel Gabiel? Was Jesus ever nailed to a cross? If so, where and when did these religious figures do their storied deeds? How do you reconcile religions so deeply entwined with Earth's past with your own?

I have not been able to figure out a reliable system for transferring religions into my history. This thread is posted partially in order to help me figure out what place religions have in Ceneria's past. That said, I hope that it can help others reconcile religion with their pasts as well.

Happy Easter! I look forward to seeing what you choose to write!

Edit: If this thread belongs in the Gameplay sub-forum instead of F&NI, I would be much obliged if you would request it be moved. Thank you!
Last edited by The Nation of Ceneria on Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:55 am, edited 5 times in total.

The Northern Kingdoms
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Northern Kingdoms » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:03 pm

Bolded are real religions.

50% of Northern Kingdomers are Christians (60% Protestant, 38% Catholic, 2% Orthodox).
18% worship the Order (although it is reported that only 10% of them hate mamonos.)
10.5% are atheist.
7.325% worship the occult/demons (99.66% Sabbath, 0.102% Satanism, 0.102% Wicca, 0.068% Luciferianism, 0.068% Goetia)
6.2% are Buddhists (the 6% Zipanguans).
3% are Shinto (99% of which Zipanguans)
1.4% are Jews.
1% are Rastafarians.
0.8% worship the Nordic gods.
0.5% worship the Cthulhu pantheon.
Another 0.5% are Muslims.
0.3% are Hindus.
The other 0.475% are of other religions (most prominent of these other religions are Tengriism and Zoroastrianism).
Last edited by The Northern Kingdoms on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Northern Kingdoms
De Nordliga Riken
La Nordaj Regnoj

I use Monster Girl Encyclopedia (although set on modern time) as a medium for roleplay (my nation is not limited to it, though). I am an MT nation (set in today), with experimental and a few functioning PMT technology. My nation is when Sweden smokes much weed, takes much LSD, takes up more arms than normal, and dates a monster girl (mamono).

United Russian Soviet States
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian Soviet States » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:21 pm

Real world religions do exist in our nation. They are usually persecuted though. We are mostly atheist and agnostic.
This nation does not represent my views.
I stand with Rand.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Sig.
:Member of the United National Group:

Fauzjhia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Fauzjhia » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:17 pm

We Fauzjhians don't like to talk about imaginary friends.
Warning Political position : Far-Left, self-identify as liberal-communist. also as Feminist, atheist, ecologist and nationalist.
Support : non-corrupt state, human rights, women rights, wild life protection, banning fossil fuel, cooperatives, journalists, Radio-Canada, Télé-Quebec, public media, public service, nationalization, freedom and right to be informed, Quebec's Independence, Protection of the French Language, Immigration right and integration.
really dislike conservatism

Leonische
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Leonische » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:18 am

I parallel real event with my nation cannon. Leonische is pretty much German Empire with authoritarian constitutional monarchy and is the Third Reich. The First Reich being Ustrina, my equivalent of Roman Empire and the Second Reich being Sonne, equivalent of Holy Roman Empire. In my cannon, the Protestant Reformation sparked the apocalypse of decaying Sonne Empire with religion and civil wars, fractured it with dozens of small states. Arose form the ash of fallen empire was the secular Leonische who spent 2 centuries unifying the fallen empire back together.
Last edited by Leonische on Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soled
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soled » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:22 am

-Disregard this post, it was outdated-
Last edited by Soled on Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of Tiandi and Ajax
Norwegian | they/them and she/her pronouns

Zarea
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Zarea » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:12 am

There aren't any RL religions in Zarea. I've made them all up.

Kesshite
Envoy

Founded: Jan 08, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kesshite » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:46 am

I have real world religions. I assume Kesshite exists in a near-future version of the real world, so I don't need to have an elaborate reconstruction of history.
|The Holy Wilderness of Kesshite |
Together, Under the Velvet Paw.

Victorious Decepticons
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Victorious Decepticons » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:49 am

It doesn't make sense for war robots from outer space to have much concern for the beliefs of a bunch of "primitive beta creatures" who are seen as too lowly even for the slave positions they have been given. Like the imperialists of old on steroids, the Decepticons would instead want to wipe out the "superstitions" that were resulting in a higher rate of insurgency. Therefore, I didn't have to worry about fitting IRL religions into my nation's canon. Instead, I had to figure out how to have my nation - the victorious invaders of Earth - wipe out these competing beliefs that would put followers at odds with the Decepticon vision.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The real-world religions of Earth were summarily stamped out after the Decepticon Invasion about 200 years ago. Since it was a planet-wide invasion that gave us full control over the population, we were able to accomplish what nations like the USSR had spectacularly failed to do. The stamping-out was done because Earth's religions promoted ideals in opposition to our own, and that was leading a surprising amount of believers to think that insurgency against us was some sort of holy act. We quickly decided that we had to weed these beliefs out of the conquered population and replace them with our own.

This was done by completely separating all "new humans" (babies) from the elder generations of humans, so the older ones couldn't pass on any knowledge of their religions - or anything else, for that matter. All human education, both formal and informal, is passed on by specialized Decepticon nannies who work in the Education Centers. Young humans are never allowed contact with older ones so that our desired educational results cannot be fouled up.

We didn't and still don't teach the growing new humans about the old religions, and in fact, we've never even mentioned them. The new humans have therefore never even learned that Earth has had religions, let alone the details of those old beliefs. As far as they're concerned, there is only one philosophy, and that is the version of the Decepticon Way that is to be practiced by those in their position.
No war RPs; no open RPs.

Explosive .50 cal shells vs. Decepticons: REAL, IRL PROOF the Decepticons would laugh at them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeVTZlNQfPA
Newaswa wrote:What is the greatest threat to your nation?
Vallermoore wrote:The Victorious Decepticons.

Bluquse wrote:Imperialist, aggressive, and genociding aliens or interdimensional beings that would most likely slaughter or enslave us
rather than meet up to have a talk. :(

TurtleShroom wrote:Also, like any sane, civilized nation, we always consider the Victorious Decepticons a clear, present, and obvious threat we must respect, honor, and leave alone in all circumstances. Always fear the Victorious Decepticons.

The Huskar Social Union wrote: ... massive empires of genocidal machines.

Blakullar
Senator

Founded: Sep 07, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:40 am

As Mechanocratic Russia is positioned in what could be called "the real world", we are unfortunately plagued with "real world" religions. These religions have mostly been suppressed and some have been eradicated outright, but occasionally some of the drivel that they espouse seeps in, most of it coming from Nexus "missionaries" sent to introduce their stench to the wasteland settlements. Events like this are where Thought Reassignment, a branch of the NKVB given a blank cheque to purge unwanted ideas from the Mechanocracy, earns their keep.

As Bulganin writes the above, several International Reorganisation apparatchiks can be seen scribbling notes on how the Decepticons handled the problem of religion in their multiversal pocket...
- - - MECHANOCRATIC RUSSIA - - -
From the dilettante who brought you Worlds Asunder!

Part of the Frencoverse.
Did you know I'm also a website?

NS stats not included.
Yes, I am real. Send help.

Chinese Peoples
Minister

Founded: Dec 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Peoples » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:01 am

China, being based on the China in the "real world", has a number of "real world" religions.

All major religious groups are accurately depicted in China, since I haven't bothered with coming up with my own religions; fundamentalists (of both the Muslim and Christian variety) and extremists are, however, not as prevalent in this universe as it is in the "real world", because I don't like their beliefs or actions and the fluctuations in their teachings. Something one moment may be doctrine and another moment heresy in those groups.

Religious groups in China are usually in harmony with each other, seeking out what is in common instead of expounding on the differences. Whatever that is truly incompatible is kept silent and personal.

The mainstream global Muslim organization, the Society of the Umma, has prayed for peace in the world and especially for the rapid enlightenment of extremists such as ISIS, which the Society regards as a violent, irreligious group. The Archbishop of China of the Anglican Church has also instructed all churches to pray "for the rapid conversion to Christianity of the members of the Westboro Baptist Church, that peace and love in the world may increase, and wayward people guided back to the Way". Furthermore, the Archbishop has said, "[the Westboro Baptist Church] does not spread the Gospel, and instead elects to make particular emphasis of one single verse in the Old Testament, yet ignores everything in the rest of the Bible."
Last edited by Chinese Peoples on Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
IC Title: the Republic of China | MT | Factbooks | the only democratic China on NS
The duty of the state is to prevent danger, not to punish it after it has happened. Rescind the 2nd Amendment, today.

Beaverriver
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Beaverriver » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:09 am

Although Beaverriver is in an alternate universe, some real life events including all world religions does exists. Christanity is the major religion of Beaverriver along with Buddhism. Pre-Unification, the kings would impose Christianity to his subordinates and oppressing those who are of other religions. However, Post-Unification resulted in the rise of other religions, particularly Buddhism, because of the right of free worship was guaranteed by the government.
The Earth's Republic of Beaver River
An Esportivan Nation

Delkora
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Delkora » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:12 pm

Our canon is essentially parallel to the real world, just with different nations and people. (For example, the Cold War happened, but with the NS equivalent of the capitalist and communist blocs rather than the Soviet Union and other real world nations.) Thus, we have all the real world religions, although their stories use different locations and people.

Communist Volkstrad
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 22, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Communist Volkstrad » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:14 pm

Volkstrad doesn't have any real world religions in it that aren't extremely minor. Volkstrad's most followed religion is a form of paganism strongly based on Norse mythology.
I'm not actually a communist.

Unilateral rhodesia
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

real-world religions in your nation

Postby Unilateral rhodesia » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:53 am

in terms of real world religions Rhodesia is predominately a Christian nation mostly of Anglican and Presbyterian stock with a small Jewish minority of western European Reform alongside a small trickle of Muslims from Pakistan who have learned to assimilate with the native Black and White population however according to current immigration policy Muslim immigration is to be limited to just 600 every 32 years. Ian Douglas Smith p.m. of Rhodesia in Salisbury :)

Galmarch
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Galmarch » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:42 pm

Galmarch is IC:ly located where Switzerland is in Europe.
Christianity is the main religion with catholicism being the largest denomination. Other earth religions exist here aswell.
Occupation: Student at University of Gothenburg, studying Russian.
Age and Nationality: 23, Swedish
Political Views: Centre right
Interests: Politics, Culture, Hockey, Rock Music, Outdoors, Gaming

Likes: Democracy, NATO, Swedish membership in NATO, Secularism, Crimean Ukraine, Freedom of Speech and Religion
Neutral: EU as a economical union
Dislikes: EU as a political union/federation, Crimean Russia, Novorossiya,Theocracy, ISIS

Yeungwai
Attaché

Founded: Apr 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Yeungwai » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:13 pm

Yeungwai is set in a slightly alternate version of the real world, and it's not big or influential enough to have had any major effects on world religions, so they all apply.
Yeungwai IIWikiEmbassy ProgramLearn Yeungwainese

NS stats are fun, but not canon.

New Vudnia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Vudnia » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:51 pm

Our country was founded by people who were being persecuted by religion, Christianity in particular. As a result, all religions are banned from Vudnia. They cause nothing but trouble.

Melvonia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Melvonia » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:38 am

A most interesting question.

Melvonia is an incomprehensible mess of real-world elements, having an organisation (or disorganisation) like a pre-Napoleonic decadent Italian city-state, geography like Switzerland, and a climate like a small south-Carribbean island. Naturally, this has made our interactions with Real World religions somewhat unusual, and to most people, including most of the hierarchy of the Holy Apostolic Melvonian Church, also an incomprehensible mess. An unholy mess, if you will.

The early 5th Century founders of the nation were pagans, following a religion which is difficult to reconstruct, but seems to have contained elements of ancestor-worship and shamanic practices. From about 550 they were evangelised by Christians from mainland Europe, led by Abbot Ortho of Quark, who founded the first monastery in the nation, became our first Archbishop, and is recognised as our national patron saint, Saint Ortho the Snitty. Some versions of his sermons, though copied down much later in the 8th Century and therefore of dubious authenticity, survive. In them, he focuses not so much on conventional Christian theology, but on remarking how Catholic clerics have frankly much cooler clothes, nicer buildings, better music and wine, while shamans are all crusty and gross. This passive-agressive preening struck a profound chord within the Melvonian psyche even then, and converts flocked to his (admittedly really well laid-out) monastery to receive the light of the Holy Spirit. And wine.

Being geographically remote, politically insignificant and, let's face it, an unremitting pain in the backside to work with, the Church in Melvonia was allowed to develop on its own path with little interference from the Papacy. During the Monastic Reforms of the 11th and 12th Centuries, when the Catholic Church began to focus on rooting out abuses of power and immorality within the clergy, we were honoured with our first visit from a Papal Legate. The serving Archbishop, The Very Reverend Limax Flavus, put on a full 14-course Melvonian banquet over which he explained in detail how Melvonian Catholic priests were already pillars of morality, sharing their 50,0000-groat stipends with the poor, remaining scrupulously faithful to their wives or husbands, and serving Mass at least twice a year, at Christmas and Easter, whether the congregation turned up or not. Unfortunately the Legate suffered a fatal apoplexy less than halfway through the meal, and the See of St Peter never got to find out how superlatively well-behaved the Melvonian clergy were.

During the Reformation, many ordinary people throughout Christendom demanded a new kind of Christianity, based on pure living, hard work, strict morality, and simpler forms of worship focused more on sermons encouraging good behaviour than opulence and ritual. The Reformation never really caught on in Melvonia, for obvious reasons.

Religious minorities have always been welcome on our shores, and have always found us a safe haven in times of persecution. We're both far too open-minded and far too lazy to persecute anybody on the grounds of religion (as opposed to really important stuff, like having unattractive shoes, or pronouncing something on a wine-list wrong). For that reason we have a large number of small populations of different religions and sects - though those who try to live a strictly religious or traditional lifestyle very often find themselves shipping quickly back out again, muttering darkly about us being "doomed to perdition", "a sink of iniquity", "Satan's playground on Earth", and other such compliments.

Theopanias
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Theopanias » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:03 am

In the early days of Theopanias' existence, Protestant Christianity was dominant, with Deism and Atheism following behind, with all others making up a small minority.

In present day Theopanias, Deism has grown considerably and become the dominant worldview in Theopanias, followed by Atheism, then followed by Christianity.

Luepola
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luepola » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:57 am

The Nation of Ceneria wrote:PLEASE read the full question before you reply! This is a much more complex question than it may seem.

Greetings, fellow nations of the world! To you I pose a less-than-simple question: Do real-world religions (I.e. Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, etc.) apply within you IC canon?

Let me elaborate. Let us say that you are, hypothetically, a MT nation with Islam as a predominant religion. You reside in a region full of other Islamic nations, as well as a smattering of predominantly Christian nations. Your concept of time is completely different from that of the real world. Rome never existed. The continent Gondwana never split. Did Muhammad ever receive revalations from the Angel Gabiel? Was Jesus ever nailed to a cross? If so, where and when did these religious figures do their storied deeds? How do you reconcile religions so deeply entwined with Earth's past with your own?

I have not been able to figure out a reliable system for transferring religions into my history. This thread is posted partially in order to help me figure out what place religions have in Ceneria's past. That said, I hope that it can help others reconcile religion with their pasts as well.

Happy Easter! I look forward to seeing what you choose to write!

Edit: If this thread belongs in the Gameplay sub-forum instead of F&NI, I would be much obliged if you would request it be moved. Thank you!

luepola is real though
The 'e' is silent.
Riding the Trump Train to the White House

Pro: Absolute Freedom of Speech
i am a trigendered female trans-arab jedi knight please use incorrect pronouns

Anti: Political Correctness, Abuses of Power

Enough is enough.

Greater Mackonia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Mackonia » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:31 pm

The Agonocracy of Greater Mackonia
"Show me someone without an ego, and I'll show you a loser."
-Donald J. Trump.

Arvenia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 21, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Arvenia » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:51 pm

Yes they does in Arvenia, but it's main religion is Megandelanism.
Pro: Political Pluralism, Centrism, Liberalism, Liberal Democracy, Social Democracy, Sweden, USA, UN, ROC, Japan, South Korea, Monarchism, Republicanism, Sci-Fi, Animal Rights, Gender Equality, Mecha, Autism, Environmentalism, Secularism, Religion and LGBT Rights
Anti: Racism, Sexism, Nazism, Fascism, EU, Socialism, Adolf Hitler, Neo-Nazism, KKK, Joseph Stalin, PRC, North Korea, Russia, Iran, Saudi-Arabia, Communism, Ultraconservatism, Ultranationalism, Xenophobia, Homophobia, Transphobia, WBC, Satanism, Mormonism, Anarchy, ISIS, al-Qaeda, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, 969 Movement, Political Correctness, Anti-Autistic Sentiment, Far-Right, Far-Left, Cultural Relativism, Anti-Vaxxers, Scalpers and COVID-19

Vandario
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vandario » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:55 pm

in the world Vandario resides in the Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Islam, Judaism) never came to be, so on Austnara (the name of the planet) most countries have either unique religions, or the old polytheistic ones Earth had, such as the gods Rome and Greece had or that of Northern Europe, even Shinto and so on, in Vandario the main religion is Asatru, or if your not familiar with that term the old beliefs of the Norse and so on.
(OOC: I might develop a type of Abrahamic religion but not sure yet, all of it is still sort of in the works)
You are a: Right-Leaning Authoritarian Isolationist Nativist Traditionalist
Collectivism score: -33%
Authoritarianism score: 67%
Internationalism score: -50%
Tribalism score: 67%
Liberalism score: -33%
Liberalism score: 0%

Political Compass: http://i.imgur.com/cbmUtGN.png Updated Feb 11th 2017
Political Objective: http://i.imgur.com/JO0drir.png Updated Nov 28th 2016
8 Values Test: http://i.imgur.com/v428sL7.png posted May 7 2017
Another Political Test: http://i.imgur.com/PkMqvzl.png
Nolan Chart: http://i.imgur.com/YB5TYbC.png

A Free Society is an Armed Society
Say no to Social Media kids. NS Stats are kind of silly, I follow my own.

Imperia Babylonia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperia Babylonia » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:23 pm

They somewhat do.
Before 1920, most of Imperia Babylonia was plagued with Muslims and Pagans, but thanks to the almighty prophets, Keionism is the dominant religion (89.17% of the nation). In some annexed regions, Buddhism and Sikhism are dominant, same with colonial provinces.
Celtic Nationalist, SNP Supporter, White Nationalist (Not supremacist), Atheist

Pro: Celtic Independence, Celtic Nationalism, SNP, Sinn Fein, IRA, Breton Independence, Catalan Independence, Freedom for Scotland, United Ireland, Socialism, Workers Unions, LGBT Rights, Welsh Independence, Ethnic Pride, Secularism, Scottish Socialist Party
Anti: Unionism in Britain, England, Westminster, DUP, Tories, New Labour, UUP, Ulster Unionist Paramilitaries, Islam, Shariah Law, Birminghamstan, ISIS, Lib Dems, Alliance Party, USA, NATO, UN

I use Assamese Republic for NS Roleplaying and this nation for P2TM Roleplaying

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information