NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation [NO MECHS] Tranche 7

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Anglind and Chesovya
Secretary

Founded: Sep 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Anglind and Chesovya » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:42 pm

I've recently been making some vehicles and figured I'd post one of them here to see what kind of feedback it gets, do tell my if there are any issues I should fix.
Panther 1 Main Battle Tank

Type: Main Battle Tank
Place of Origin: United Kingdom of Anglind
Used By: Anglish Royal Army
Manufacturer: CDS (Chapman Defense Systems)
Unit Cost: 4,522,000 Pounds
Number Built: 8,000+
Crew: 5 (Commander, Gunner, Loader, Driver, Radio Operator)
Armor: Front: 350mm Effective Thickness: 560mm Side: 310mm Effective Thickness : 310mm Rear: 260mm Effective Thickness: 270mm
Armament: 120mm Rifled Gun, 7.62 MG AA Turret, 7.62 Hull MG, 7.62 Hull MG
Max Speed: 72km/h (44.7 Mph)

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:50 pm

Anglind and Chesovya wrote:I've recently been making some vehicles and figured I'd post one of them here to see what kind of feedback it gets, do tell my if there are any issues I should fix.

(Image)
Crew: 5 (Commander, Gunner, Loader, Driver, Radio Operator)
Armor: Front: 350mm Effective Thickness: 560mm Side: 310mm Effective Thickness : 310mm Rear: 260mm Effective Thickness: 270mm

No need for the hull MGs or the radio operator. Modern radios are much easier to operate so this role can be given to the commander and the hull MGs just create weaknesses in the frontal armor. One should be moved to the turret though to create a coaxial armament. Rear armor thickness is a bit high and front armor thickness is a bit low. The AA turret height should probably be reduced but the main turret height increased, looks a bit short.

Otherwise it generally looks fine.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Erusuia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Erusuia » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:05 pm

Speaking of hull MGs, would a hull MG make sense for an APC? There wouldn't really be any decrease in protection given how lightly armoured the APC is anyway, and I could see some advantages to giving the driver or commander an MG to use when troops are dismounting out the back
Glorious Erusuia Forever
Pharthan wrote:
Padnak wrote:Are there any crippling disadvantages to blasting ride of the Valkyries out of the helicopters during an air assault against hostile forces that know you're there?

Being too awesome?

Lydenburg
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:07 pm

Erusuia wrote:Speaking of hull MGs, would a hull MG make sense for an APC? There wouldn't really be any decrease in protection given how lightly armoured the APC is anyway, and I could see some advantages to giving the driver or commander an MG to use when troops are dismounting out the back

The Chinese, maybe the North Koreans, still put hull MGs in some of their simpler APCs.
Last edited by Lydenburg on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:12 pm

Erusuia wrote:Speaking of hull MGs, would a hull MG make sense for an APC? There wouldn't really be any decrease in protection given how lightly armoured the APC is anyway, and I could see some advantages to giving the driver or commander an MG to use when troops are dismounting out the back

There's usually only space for one man at the front of an IFV or APC since the engine's up front as well. The commander will probably have a cupola-mounted weapon with a greater field of fire, which leaves only the driver as the potential user, and he should probably be driving. Some have done it, but there isn't much use for it, since the driver will be too busy driving to use it most of the time.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Erusuia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Erusuia » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:14 pm

Lydenburg wrote:The Chinese, maybe the North Koreans, still put hull MGs in some of their simpler APCs.

Cool :D

I might mount a GMG in the hull of one of my IFVs for the lulz

The Akasha Colony wrote:
There's usually only space for one man at the front of an IFV or APC since the engine's up front as well. The commander will probably have a cupola-mounted weapon with a greater field of fire, which leaves only the driver as the potential user, and he should probably be driving. Some have done it, but there isn't much use for it, since the driver will be too busy driving to use it most of the time.

Didn't really stop to consider that

I could maybe have the troop compartment be wider at the top then the frontal half of the vehicle, with two bow mounted weapons like so: (In facing forward on the troop compartment)
Last edited by Erusuia on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Glorious Erusuia Forever
Pharthan wrote:
Padnak wrote:Are there any crippling disadvantages to blasting ride of the Valkyries out of the helicopters during an air assault against hostile forces that know you're there?

Being too awesome?

Chebucto Provinces
Envoy

Founded: May 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Chebucto Provinces » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:15 pm

Novorden wrote:Random interesting note: a tanker I was talking to said that they had used HESH training rounds (filled with concrete rather than HE) as a 'low cost', low collateral anti-structure munition for use against snipers.

We called these "kinder surprise" back in my day.

I heard the guys in A'Stan called them "monkey eggs" as a joke.

It's not that new, especially for the 105mm guns. SOP in my time in KFOR was one such in the gun, one live HESH ready to roll when we did not expect enemy armour, but potential snipers. Like convoy work. The idea was round 1 (concrete) was not full engagement, so if the firing kept up on us we would have every justification to end it with violence.

Never had to use them on people myself. But we did fire a few at T-55 targets for a laugh. I mean, for training.

Korva
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 22, 2013

Postby Korva » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:20 pm

Erusuia wrote:
Lydenburg wrote:The Chinese, maybe the North Koreans, still put hull MGs in some of their simpler APCs.

The Akasha Colony wrote:

I could maybe have the troop compartment be wider at the top then the frontal half of the vehicle, with two bow mounted weapons like so:

Japanese Type 73 APC had a bow MG.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:27 pm

Erusuia wrote:

The Akasha Colony wrote:

I could maybe have the troop compartment be wider at the top then the frontal half of the vehicle, with two bow mounted weapons like so: (In facing forward on the troop compartment)

That space in the hull corner is generally where equipment would be stowed or seatbelts attached. It'd be awkward to fire from that position anyway, and have a rather limited field of fire. The soldier would have to cram his head right up against the ceiling and the wall to sight the gun.

Notice how the seats themselves are actually attached to the compartment ceiling in the area where you want to put the MG. You'd probably not want to expose that part of the vehicle anyway and leave it behind the normal frontal armor plate to minimize the chances of incoming rounds penetrating right into the space where your soldiers' heads are.

If you really want to add firepower, just add more roof-mounted guns like the US did with the M113 ACAV variants. Much better field of fire and flexibility, without creating awkward ergonomics. Nowadays, it'd probably be an RWS of some sort, or a regular ring mount with a thin shield if you're cheap.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Erusuia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Erusuia » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:30 pm

:( So no hull guns
bumber

HMG vs GMG for APC armament?

EDIT

I get that bow guns are an all around bad idea, but doesn't the BMP-3 have them?
Last edited by Erusuia on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glorious Erusuia Forever
Pharthan wrote:

Being too awesome?

Korva
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 22, 2013

Postby Korva » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:36 pm

Erusuia wrote::( So no hull guns
bumber

EDIT

I get that bow guns are an all around bad idea, but doesn't the BMP-3 have them?

Yes, so do BMD's.

HMG is probably better.

Novorden
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Novorden » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:52 pm

bumber

EDIT

I am an advocate of 20mm, EG: Nexter ARX20 RWS

Anglind and Chesovya
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Anglind and Chesovya » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:00 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Anglind and Chesovya wrote:I've recently been making some vehicles and figured I'd post one of them here to see what kind of feedback it gets, do tell my if there are any issues I should fix.

(Image)
Crew: 4 (Commander, Gunner, Loader, Driver)
Armament: 135mm Rifled Gun, 7.62 MG AA Turret, 7.62 Hull Coaxial MG

No need for the hull MGs or the radio operator. Modern radios are much easier to operate so this role can be given to the commander and the hull MGs just create weaknesses in the frontal armor. One should be moved to the turret though to create a coaxial armament. Rear armor thickness is a bit high and front armor thickness is a bit low. The AA turret height should probably be reduced but the main turret height increased, looks a bit short.

Thanks for the feedback, I made some revisions and should have remedied those issues:

Armor: Front: 375mm Effective Thickness: 585mm Side: 310mm Effective Thickness : 310mm Rear: 225mm Effective Thickness: 235mm

I also figured I'd post another vehicle here aswell:

Jaguar 1 Tank Destoryer

Type: Tank Destroyer
Unit Cost: 4,302,000 Pounds
Number Built: 561
Crew: 5 (Commander, Gunner, Loader, Driver, Radio operator)
Armor: Front: 370mm Effective thickness: 610mm Side: 215mm Effective Thickness: 230mm Rear: 130mm Effective Thickness: 140mm
Armament: 135mm rifled gun, 7.62 MG AA turret, 7.62 Coaxial MG
Max Speed: 99km/h (61mph)

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:14 pm

bumber

EDIT

BMP-3 has a number of other bad ideas as well. It wasn't originally supposed to be an infantry carrier.

Anglind and Chesovya wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, I made some revisions and should have remedied those issues:

Armor: Front: 375mm Effective Thickness: 585mm Side: 310mm Effective Thickness : 310mm Rear: 225mm Effective Thickness: 235mm

I also figured I'd post another vehicle here aswell:

Jaguar 1 Tank Destoryer

Type: Tank Destroyer
Unit Cost: 4,302,000 Pounds
Number Built: 561
Crew: 5 (Commander, Gunner, Loader, Driver, Radio operator)
Armor: Front: 370mm Effective thickness: 610mm Side: 215mm Effective Thickness: 230mm Rear: 130mm Effective Thickness: 140mm
Armament: 135mm rifled gun, 7.62 MG AA turret, 7.62 Coaxial MG
Max Speed: 99km/h (61mph)

In regards to the TD, same thing as before: no need for a radio operator. At 135 mm, a human loader will start to have a hard time so an autoloader is preferred, cutting your crew to three.

And in regards to both vehicles, if you want to be able to resist modern KEPs without applique armor or ERA, you probably need closer to 800-900 mm on the front.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:42 pm

Lydenburg wrote:

The Chinese, maybe the North Koreans, still put hull MGs in some of their simpler APCs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_73_Armored_Personnel_Carrier
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:45 pm

Oaledonia wrote:
Lydenburg wrote:

Eh, they all look the same. :p
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:17 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:

Eh, they all look the same. :p

...?

Lydenburg
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:32 pm

Oaledonia wrote:
Lydenburg wrote:

*Actually a Type SU 60

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:40 pm

Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

Under construction

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:45 pm

Oaledonia wrote:
Lydenburg wrote:
*Actually a Type SU 60

Wrong.

(It's not a Type 73, it's a Type 60 - the most obvious indicator from this angle is the trackset)

(It's also not a 'Type SU 60', which seems to be a weird misnomer that's emerged from god knows where, probably flawed period literature. 'SU' was a designation they attached to APC prototypes during the period, the production vehicle was the 'Type 60')

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:50 pm

bumber

Smart-fuzed 20mm HE airburst rounds, with boxes of AP if the need arises - why not have the best of both worlds?

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:52 pm

Anemos Major wrote:(It's not a Type 73, it's a Type 60 - the most obvious indicator from this angle is the trackset)

Please, do explain.

Under construction

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:59 pm

wtf are you guys even talking about? He said Chinese and Koreans, so I linked a Japanese example.

Under construction

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:02 pm

Oaledonia wrote:wtf are you guys even talking about? He said Chinese and Koreans, so I linked a Japanese example.

Type 60 is a Japanese APC, though. :P

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information