NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation [NO MECHS] Tranche 7

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:33 am

Immoren wrote:Can double barreled SPGs halve the number of vehicles needed, or would there be some other problems for effects in fire?
I was thinking that if you've half number of double barreled SPGs you wouldn't notice difference when firing a small target are, but might be problematic, if you've to cover larger area at expense of density of fire.
Or not.

It shouldn't be a problem. Modern guns are remarkably consistent, so much so that achieving a useful spread against an extended area target is a problem. But this can be overcome by adjusting the aim point with each shot - easy to do with a computer. Conveniently this also decouples the spread of shells from the number and location of the guns firing them. Four double barrel howitzers should be able to execute the same mission with the same effect as eight conventional howitzers.
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:22 pm

The only downside is putting your eggs in a basket, meaning if some CB fire took out a single gun when you have only conventional howitzers, it instead takes out two guns.

Also I thought Koalition didn't achieve a much higher RPM that say, Pzh 2000.
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 09, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:30 pm

man, they will totally win in the next Wargame by Eugen.
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Factbook [url=iiwiki.com/wiki/Corporate_Confederacy]Wiki Article[/url]
Neptonia

Heicliffe
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Heicliffe » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:33 pm

Been playing around with a multipurpose tracked vehicle. I plan to squeeze an APC, IFV, SPAAG, Mortar Truck, Cargo Truck, and Fuel Truck out of this thing. Somehow.

(That's why the rear portion is empty at the moment.)

Credit to Francisco Rios on Junior General for providing the Marder 1A3 tracks

I'm already thinking that where the door is placed might be awkward with the turret there as well. Entry was planned to be done entirely through either the side door(s) or the door between the [insert weapon/cargo/transport layout here] and the crew compartment.

Plis don't eat me. :<
UT ENIM AD MONTES
Over the Mountains

Novorden
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Novorden » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:37 pm

Rich and Corporations wrote:man, they will totally win in the next Wargame by Eugen.

AS90 is still king :p

Unrelated: Some 125mm cutaways
HEAT, APFSDS and GLATGM
Last edited by Novorden on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yukonastan
Negotiator

Founded: May 17, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Yukonastan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:49 pm

Heicliffe wrote:Been playing around with a multipurpose tracked vehicle. I plan to squeeze an APC, IFV, SPAAG, Mortar Truck, Cargo Truck, and Fuel Truck out of this thing. Somehow.

(Image)

I'm already thinking that where the door is placed might be awkward with the turret there as well. Entry was planned to be done entirely through either the side door(s) or the door between the [insert weapon/cargo/transport layout here] and the crew compartment.

Put tracks on a GTK Boxer.
this guy is a fucking furry and a therian
Btw, here's my IC flag

"Purp go to bed." - Nirvash Type TheEnd

Heicliffe
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Heicliffe » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:02 pm

Yukonastan wrote:
Heicliffe wrote:Been playing around with a multipurpose tracked vehicle. I plan to squeeze an APC, IFV, SPAAG, Mortar Truck, Cargo Truck, and Fuel Truck out of this thing. Somehow.

(Image)

Put tracks on a GTK Boxer.

"The Boxer is a German-Dutch multirole armoured fighting vehicle designed to accomplish a number of operations through the use of installable mission modules."

....damnit Germany/Holland. Getting my idea done IRL better. :p
UT ENIM AD MONTES
Over the Mountains

Orussia
Minister

Founded: Jan 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Orussia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:22 pm

Novorden wrote:(Image)
HEAT, APFSDS and GLATGM

I must inquire, why does your HEAT appear to be subcaliber?
RIP Rhoderberg
14/9/2013 - 15/8/2015
May your spirit live on in FALhalla.
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:His penetrator is MASSIVE!
Talon independent nation wrote:And so missiles did come unto man, and man did see it was good, and did smite down the land battleships of his foe with totally awesome explosions.

Novorden
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Novorden » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:39 pm

Orussia wrote:
Novorden wrote:(Image)
HEAT, APFSDS and GLATGM

I must inquire, why does your HEAT appear to be subcaliber?

It is/is based on the M830A1 HEAT MP-T round

Orussia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Orussia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:47 pm

Novorden wrote:
Orussia wrote:I must inquire, why does your HEAT appear to be subcaliber?

It is/is based on the M830A1 HEAT MP-T round

Doesn't a smaller-diameter warhead reduce the penetration of the jet? Forgive me for not comprehending possible advantages of this design.
RIP Rhoderberg
14/9/2013 - 15/8/2015
Talon independent nation wrote:And so missiles did come unto man, and man did see it was good, and did smite down the land battleships of his foe with totally awesome explosions.

Novorden
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Novorden » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:53 pm

Orussia wrote:
Novorden wrote:It is/is based on the M830A1 HEAT MP-T round

Doesn't a smaller-diameter warhead reduce the penetration of the jet? Forgive me for not comprehending possible advantages of this design.

I think the general idea is that if it is a hard armoured target you would be using APFSDS,

"The M830A1 HEAT (High Explosive Anti-Tank) round, recently fielded for the M1A1 and M1A2 Main Battle Tank, is a major advancement over its predecessor, the M830, which has been in the US inventory since the early '80s. HEAT rounds have multi-purpose warheads which are used to defeat armored vehicles, helicopters and soft targets such as bunkers. The M830A1 adds higher velocity launch, increased armor penetration capability and selectable fuzing which allows for the engagement of a variety of targets. The M830A1 is unique in that it features a three-piece discarding aluminum sabot, a feature normally associated with kinetic energy projectiles. The sabot allows a lighter flight projectile which can be flown to greater ranges than could the M830. The M830A1 also mounts a proximity switch on the flight projectile nose. Manually set upon gun loading, this allows the M1A1/M1A2 tank to self-defend against attacking helicopters with the 120mm main gun, a capability never before possessed by a Main Battle Tank. The multi-purpose cartridge is also extremely effective against buildings, bunkers, and light armored vehicles. The M830A1 was fielded in 1994 and is currently still in production."

Orussia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Orussia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:08 pm

Novorden wrote:I think the general idea is that if it is a hard armoured target you would be using APFSDS

Huh. Okay, I guess that does make sense.
RIP Rhoderberg
14/9/2013 - 15/8/2015

The Greater Luthorian Empire
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Luthorian Empire » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:35 pm

Novorden wrote:
Orussia wrote:Doesn't a smaller-diameter warhead reduce the penetration of the jet? Forgive me for not comprehending possible advantages of this design.

I think the general idea is that if it is a hard armoured target you would be using APFSDS,

Still, making HEAT be a subcalibre round decreases the potential explosive payload making it less effective against infantry, buildings, and light helicopters. The main advantage which was plainly stated in your text is higher velocity, which is of dubious usefulness if your primary targets with HEAT are infantry, buildings, and light vehicles.
Imperializt Russia wrote:They told me I could be anything, so I became a razor blade.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:10 pm

The Greater Luthorian Empire wrote:
Novorden wrote:I think the general idea is that if it is a hard armoured target you would be using APFSDS,

Still, making HEAT be a subcalibre round decreases the potential explosive payload making it less effective against infantry, buildings, and light helicopters. The main advantage which was plainly stated in your text is higher velocity, which is of dubious usefulness if your primary targets with HEAT are infantry, buildings, and light vehicles.

It is of great usefulness against the last of those. One of the problems with HEAT when engaging any sort of moving target is low velocity. A higher velocity means much improved accuracy and longer engagement distances.

In comparison, the relatively minor reduction in explosive radius against infantry is a non-issue, as is the loss of penetration.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Luthorian Empire » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:15 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:In comparison, the relatively minor reduction in explosive radius against infantry is a non-issue, as is the loss of penetration.

While the latter may be true the former hardly is. Hell one of the main reasons that Americans opposed the adoption of the 76 mm gun on Shermans in WW2 was due to the fact that it would decrease explosive payload. It isn't like tanks primarily fight tanks, most of their targets will be infantry, light vehicles, and buildings, and with modern FCS I doubt that the lower velocity of full bore HEAT is a crippling factor against vehicles.
Imperializt Russia wrote:They told me I could be anything, so I became a razor blade.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:26 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:In comparison, the relatively minor reduction in explosive radius against infantry is a non-issue, as is the loss of penetration.

While the latter may be true the former hardly is. Hell one of the main reasons that Americans opposed the adoption of the 76 mm gun on Shermans in WW2 was due to the fact that it would decrease explosive payload. It isn't like tanks primarily fight tanks, most of their targets will be infantry, light vehicles, and buildings, and with modern FCS I doubt that the lower velocity of full bore HEAT is a crippling factor against vehicles.

Crippling, probably not, but decreased velocity means a decrease in range and accuracy, no mater how good your FCS is. It makes sense that for targets that can't resist the warhead (like APC's, buildings and infantry) they would want a faster moving projectile.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 09, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:27 pm

I make this argument so many times, although there is merit to differentiating between HE and sub-caliber HEAT rounds.
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Factbook [url=iiwiki.com/wiki/Corporate_Confederacy]Wiki Article[/url]
Neptonia

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Luthorian Empire » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:32 pm

Rich and Corporations wrote:
The Greater Luthorian Empire wrote:While the latter may be true the former hardly is. Hell one of the main reasons that Americans opposed the adoption of the 76 mm gun on Shermans in WW2 was due to the fact that it would decrease explosive payload. It isn't like tanks primarily fight tanks, most of their targets will be infantry, light vehicles, and buildings, and with modern FCS I doubt that the lower velocity of full bore HEAT is a crippling factor against vehicles.

I make this argument so many times, although there is merit to differentiating between HE and sub-caliber HEAT rounds.

Well I think part of this conversation branched off from Galla's idea for only using two types of munitions, APFSDS and HEAT. If you were to only field two types of munitions like that the explosive payload of HEAT becomes much more important. Otherwise I honestly couldn't care less, APFSDS for tanks, HEAT for other vehicles, and HE for infantry and buildings. HEAT can work against infantry but if you field dedicated anti-infantry HE anyway it is more of a secondary role and is of less importance.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:03 pm

The Greater Luthorian Empire wrote:While the latter may be true the former hardly is. Hell one of the main reasons that Americans opposed the adoption of the 76 mm gun on Shermans in WW2 was due to the fact that it would decrease explosive payload. It isn't like tanks primarily fight tanks, most of their targets will be infantry, light vehicles, and buildings, and with modern FCS I doubt that the lower velocity of full bore HEAT is a crippling factor against vehicles.

The opposition was overstated. 76 mm armed Shermans performed fine in the role of supporting infantry. It was mostly a justification to keep the delineation between tanks and tank destroyers intact and support tank destroyer doctrine, which many officers had invested their careers in.

The difference in muzzle velocity between the M830 and sub-caliber M830A1 is significant: 950 m/s vs. 1,400 m/s, or nearly a 50% increase. Conversely, that results in time-of-flight decreases of roughly a third. That is not an insignificant gain at all. A target traveling at 40 km/h at a distance of 4 km can travel over ten meters in the one extra second the M830 will take to reach that range versus the M830A1, which is enough to miss even an MBT completely if improperly computed.

Meanwhile, there actually isn't any noticeable loss in lethal radius, strange as it may seem. This was already determined during WWII, and is one of the reasons why large-caliber artillery pieces in the 203 mm range have all but vanished. If the explosive relies mostly on fragmentation (and the most lethal shells do) over concussion, the speed of the fragments is determined by the shell's explosive velocity, which is determined by the explosive composition, not the explosive weight. The difference is in the number of fragments and the concussion effect, as a physically larger shell will have more fragments and thus a higher density of shrapnel within its lethal radius. The effects of weight reduction on shell lethality are relatively modest in a relative sense.

This isn't what most tanks end up facing though. The real threat isn't ten men in one foxhole, it's taking out specific positions because nowadays even insurgents know not to bunch up and become a target. Instead, the usual employment is against machine gun nests, where the difference between a five meter and an eight meter lethal radius would be moot so long as the shell is accurate enough to hit. Or an ATGM team hiding in a small trench. Johnny Taliban sitting in a little firing nest with his RPG-7 certainly doesn't care whether he's getting shot at with sub-caliber or full-bore HEAT rounds.

The Greater Luthorian Empire wrote:Well I think part of this conversation branched off from Galla's idea for only using two types of munitions, APFSDS and HEAT. If you were to only field two types of munitions like that the explosive payload of HEAT becomes much more important. Otherwise I honestly couldn't care less, APFSDS for tanks, HEAT for other vehicles, and HE for infantry and buildings. HEAT can work against infantry but if you field dedicated anti-infantry HE anyway it is more of a secondary role and is of less importance.

It's the US Army's idea. Using just two rounds vastly simplifies logistics, which is why the Army plans to replace everything that isn't APFSDS with XM1069 AMP, which also adds airbursting capability. And IIRC, a delayed fuze option for bunker and wall busting.
Last edited by The Akasha Colony on Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:29 pm

The Greater Luthorian Empire wrote:It isn't like tanks primarily fight tanks

How do you intend for your medium tanks to act as a spearhead if they can't kill other tanks? The US Army was fully and totally aware of the anti-tank battle fought by armour. The Tank Destroyers were for mass actions against regimental and division strength armoured spearheads while operating in battalion-brigade strength on the defensive, or for defending the flanks of the armour with the armoured infantry, effecting the exploitation by providing strong anti-armour direct fires to the infantry.

In the end, tank destroyers ended up getting used more as tanks than tank destroyers, being used piecemeal to augment the anti-armour capability of companies of mediums, since the massed armoured spearheads never materialised except at El Guettar where the 601st Tank Destroyer Battalion destroyed a Panzer Regiment on the offensive.

Rich and Corporations wrote:I make this argument so many times, although there is merit to differentiating between HE and sub-caliber HEAT rounds.

Well I think part of this conversation branched off from Galla's idea for only using two types of munitions, APFSDS and HEAT. If you were to only field two types of munitions like that the explosive payload of HEAT becomes much more important. Otherwise I honestly couldn't care less, APFSDS for tanks, HEAT for other vehicles, and HE for infantry and buildings. HEAT can work against infantry but if you field dedicated anti-infantry HE anyway it is more of a secondary role and is of less importance.

US Army actually has HE rounds: M809 HE-OR-T (High Explosive Obstacle Reduction Tracer). They're M830 HEAT rounds with delayed fuses for penetrating concrete and barricades. M830A1 has two fusing options, airburst/proximity for dealing with pop-up attack helicopters like AH-64D (note, Russia has nothing like this but it was widely expected in the 1980s) and impact for dealing with BMP and other light armoured vehicles, and a fragmentation sleeve dismounted infantry when used with impact fusing.

AMP combines M830A1 and M809 fusing options + sleeve into a single round.

Novorden wrote:
Rich and Corporations wrote:man, they will totally win in the next Wargame by Eugen.

AS90 is still king :p

Unrelated: Some 125mm cutaways
HEAT, APFSDS and GLATGM

>not LRPscale
Last edited by Gallia- on Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:37 am

Orussia wrote:Doesn't a smaller-diameter warhead reduce the penetration of the jet? Forgive me for not comprehending possible advantages of this design.

Accuracy, especially against moving targets.

Edit: It wasn't really meant to kill infantry either except as a secondary role. BMPs really. Anti-infantry beyond MG range didn't get much thought before the Iraq War. For its original purpose (BMP blasting) it is an ideal round. These days airbursting boosts the efficiency of shellfire so much a subcaliber round is still a viable option for long range dismount destruction.
Last edited by The Kievan People on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

Lydenburg
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:41 am

Gallia- wrote:
The Greater Luthorian Empire wrote:It isn't like tanks primarily fight tanks

How do you intend for your medium tanks to act as a spearhead if they can't kill other tanks? The US Army was fully and totally aware of the anti-tank battle fought by armour. The Tank Destroyers were for mass actions against regimental and division strength armoured spearheads while operating in battalion-brigade strength on the defensive, or for defending the flanks of the armour with the armoured infantry, effecting the exploitation by providing strong anti-armour direct fires to the infantry.

In the end, tank destroyers ended up getting used more as tanks than tank destroyers, being used piecemeal to augment the anti-armour capability of companies of mediums, since the massed armoured spearheads never materialised except at El Guettar where the 601st Tank Destroyer Battalion destroyed a Panzer Regiment on the offensive.

Maybe what the two of you are really discussing is the use of medium tanks as mobile gun systems, or generic fire support platforms.

In which case it wouldn't be their role to kill other tanks except possibly in self defence.
Last edited by Lydenburg on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

New Vihenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 03, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby New Vihenia » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:42 am

The Kievan People wrote:
It shouldn't be a problem. Modern guns are remarkably consistent, so much so that achieving a useful spread against an extended area target is a problem. But this can be overcome by adjusting the aim point with each shot - easy to do with a computer. Conveniently this also decouples the spread of shells from the number and location of the guns firing them. Four double barrel howitzers should be able to execute the same mission with the same effect as eight conventional howitzers.

Yaaaay..then all my self propelled mortars and howitzers shall have double barrel 8)
We make planes,ships,missiles,helicopters, radars and mecha musume
Deviantart|M.A.R.S|My-Ebooks

Big Picture of Service

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information