NATION

PASSWORD

Tropes For Your Nation

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Terlaka
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Terlaka » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:38 pm

From what I've developed of my nation thus far:

Darkest Africa Let's start with the easy one, Terlaka is situated in a territory very similar to Nigeria and surrounding areas.
The Apartheid Era Except not quite, whilst no particular ethnic group is bought out as a segregated group, you'd be hard pressed to hold any respect if you've ever comitted a crime, once guilty always guilty.
La Resistence The Mwenya Popular Uprising, fighting against the United Terlaka Courts
Church Militant Whilst all religions are looked upon with disdain in Terlaka, the Civil Law of the nation has its roots in the Religious Law of former pagan beliefs which themselves became heavily militant following Western religious missions
Knight Templar Anyone whose motivation resulted from the United Terlaka Courts, they thought they were doing good, saving post colonial Terlaka from going down the inevitable pan, but what resulted was a series of bloody massacres.
Lawful Evil An all pervasive Law based government which routinely massacres anyone shy of comitting a crime, bordering on the Chaotic Evil side.
Secret Police The Court Guards, sworn to find and destroy sedition wherever it may present itself.
Dystopia In a nation where the citizens are kept in check by what they fear, or rather that they are instilled with fear by the ruling government.
Hanging Judge As already stated, the Courts rule the nation, but within that, the Judge holds superior power over the court, the Jurists posessing of token power, things can get... a little Iron Fisted.
Black Market Used by both the UTC and the MPU to varying degrees of success.

Seems like a good place to end this, I'm looking forwards to any nation proclaiming BLAM status :P

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:53 pm

"Screw the rules, I have money" is the essence of our entire civilization. After all, who cares about petty things like ethics or decent human conduct when we throw enough colorful rubles, or even better shiny Vetalian consumer goods at a problem?
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

The Rhythm Nation
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Rhythm Nation » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:59 pm

Macureus wrote:Not sure about our tropes, as we are an academic\philosophical oligarchy that rejects emotion but encourages promiscuity to relieve sexual tension and produce without any romantic nonsense involved. Macureans would consider Vulcans to be irrational for their prudery, pacifism, and vegetarianism.

To Macureans, softness of any kind is illogical, as is faith of any sort. Prudery is considered a sign of mystical asceticism, which Macureans see as a form of mental illness. Marriage is always for convenience and is never monogamous. The only emotion accepted on Macureus is germophobia, leading to showers every time Macureans have sex, which is simply a biological function to them. Any sign of jealousy or superstition leads to a psych exam, hindering one's career.

All Macureans consider emotions a sign of mental instability. Frivolity, extravagance, and waste are shunned. Impracticality is discouraged. Clothing is strictly utilitarian, with vanity frowned upon. Short hair is common to both sexes. Makeup and jewelry are rare.

Macureans are notorious snobs and despise popular culture in favor of classical. They speak in almost Shakespearean language, with a total suspicion of slang or profanity. Macureans are pedantic and patronizing, as well as rigidly highbrow in their tastes. They scorn dishonest dealings and always keep their word.

I wonder what the tropes for that would be. Certainly not the Stoics, for all of our logic.

Sorry for the belated bump, but I didn't realize Macureus had updated this.

Here's the tropes I can think of for your nation, and yes this is New Olwe:

Four Star Badass: General Ios Melin.
Neat Freak: Macurean culture in general.
No Nudity Taboo: Public showers. 'Nuff said.
Really Gets Around: As already mentioned, Macureans are rather promiscuous.
Yes, all musical references are intentional.

The Rhythm Nation was founded in 1369 and is still around as late as 5000 AD, so I can RP in any tech setting you want. But magic does exist and can be used, and this is non-negotiable.

Jankenjin
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jankenjin » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:24 pm

Jankenjin are a mix of Bizarre Alien Biology, Bizarre Sexual Dimorphism (or in our case, tri-morphism), and a peculiar twist on Gender Equals Breed.
Yes, we have a Factbook, for all those odd facts about this bunch of weird aliens.

Padullahstan
Ambassador

Founded: May 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Padullahstan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:36 am

Here's the what I came up with for Padullahstan, I'm sure there are better ones out there.

Banned in China
Big Brother is Watching
Catch Phrase - "That's classified information"
Cold Blooded Torture Complete Monster - The President, and a lot of higher-ups.
Con Lang - Aulai
Corrupt Corporate Executive - Every one of the CEOs of Padullahstani corporations
Evil Army - 'nuff said
Fascists BED Time – Nation-wide Curfew
Good Republic Evil Empire – Subverted, still calls itself "Padullahstani Republic" despite absolutely no semblance of a Republic.
High Octane Nightmare Fuel
Honour Before Reason - The government and higher military.
Kick the Dog - The government does this a lot.
Lawful Evil
Mind Rape
Mix and Match - Person1: Of course, it's Turkey!
Person2: But, maybe Iran...
Person3: Or perhaps, Afghanistan?
Mooks
My Country Right or Wrong
Police State – ‘nuff said
Policy Brutality
Politically Incorrect Villain
President Evil
Redshirt Army
Screw the Rules, I have Money - The Rich of Padullahstan
Secret Police
To the Pain
Two Plus Two Makes Five
Villain with Good Publicity - The Supreme President
The Padullahstani Republic
"Where everything's classified!"™

This nation does not reflect the actual opinions of the poster at all, and this nation should not be taken seriously. At all. It's meant to be an over-the-top parody of dictatorships and oppressive regimes.

Neo-Ezo
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo-Ezo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:44 am

Hard to say, at this point, though as I keep playing more should become apparent.

For now...

* Church Militant = Many local religious establishments have armed sects, or just are armed, period, and know how to use the weapons.

* Amazon Brigade = There are at least six all-female private militant groups in the Republic, all quite small but at least reasonably effective, depending on which one you are talking about. In addition, Ezo's special police force, the Shinsengumi, is experimenting with female units.
Last edited by Neo-Ezo on Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neo-Ezo wrote:Every once in a while...crap like this just sort of happens.

Ezo: Quite possibly the only Matriarchal Timocratic Samurai Republic on NationStates.

Kablup
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kablup » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:57 am

The Alleged Car - Kabluppian cars, for the few citizens who can actually afford them, are rusty, slow and most parts are recycled from Soviet missiles.
Crazy Cultural Comparison - Kabluppian customs are... weird.
Foreign Queasine - Kabluppian food often employs meat from unconventional animals such as donkeys and lizards as ingredients and things like dirt and petrol as flavourings.
Funny Foreigner
The Pig Pen - Many citizens cannot afford this strange luxury you call a "shower".
Ruritania

Rejistania
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Rejistania » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:39 am

Padullahstan wrote:Con Lang - Aulai

How developped is it?
Good Republic Evil Empire – Subverted, still calls itself "Padullahstani Republic" despite absolutely no semblance of a Republic.

So, a People's Republic Of Tyranny? :)
Rejis sjiki, linux sjiki, alari sjiki, korona sjiki!
Forever united, forever free, forever in justice, forever prospering!

"Tekneluru mi'aru mi aji, il'sidekhir'ra mi, lajistas. Mi'ki'vasu kynha'het kijitax." Hank͜hila Sede, first lentine (translation: A dream is only a dream until it is reached. After that, it becomes something trivial)

Headlines from the Na~ovi Nanti: Hetkali election ended in no candidate over 2% hurdle - Syku I Jai fired as coach of Aetaila Seli, youth coach Hea I Juien takes over reins of club - Rising number of fairy penguins in Sumumusumu and neighboring islands

This person is pro-EU and proud of it! They are also a Eurofederalist and want the Federated States of Europe!

Joyous Zeltros
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Joyous Zeltros » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:24 am

New Olwe wrote:You forgot some. :P

Good Feels Good: Possibly the most literal example ever. Since Zeltrons are empaths, by being nice to others they are also being nice to themselves.
Action Girl/Ace Pilot: Uniisa Trinz.
Stuff Blowing Up: If Milika's around, this will probably happen eventually.
Anyone Can Die:
Artem's
death was very unexpected.
The Dark Side: Speaking of that guy, apparently some of Force-sensitive Zeltrons aren't quite so squeaky-clean.

Action Girl? Uniisa's a bit closer to Dark Action Girl, methinks.
I think I've been digging up some extra tropes of late.

Oracular Urchin - Little Kapila, the adorable little girl with the large dose of foresight.
The Woobie - Several, due to trope below:
Break The Cutie - Just look at some of Exile Squad. Also, Arnane Ashu.
Shell Shocked Veteran - Some of Exile Squad are veering heavily into this.
My Species Doth Protest Too Much - How Zeltros stays so peaceful and idyllic? People like the members of Exile Squad are encouraged to 'find their joy' elsewhere.
Mind Rape - To the Niraamayan delegation, just a routine mental probe. To their guide, Arnane, a shocking violation that goes waaaay beyond the traditional 'sharing' of Zeltrons. (Your emotions you extend to help others, your thoughts are your own.) By itself, it wouldn't have been so bad... except for his being so horrified at his own fury and how it affected others of his people in the vicinity. He's... off getting help now, poor boy.
"One Zeltron is the life of the party; on Zeltros, life is the party!"
"A lot of people don't seem to understand us. There is no devious ulterior motive. We want you to be happy, because we're happier if you are."
Factbook, Embassy Thread & Your Citizen... on Zeltros
"All Zeltrons are obsessed with romance. When they cannot love, they fight. Both are sports to them. Coupled with their love of gambling, it makes one Zeltron in the grip of enthusiasm a formidable enemy. A pack of adolescents is virtually a force of nature." ―Lumiya
Joyous Zeltros: We Love Everybody. Passionately and in multiple positions.

Padullahstan
Ambassador

Founded: May 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Padullahstan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:28 am

Rejistania wrote:
Padullahstan wrote:Con Lang - Aulai

How developped is it?

Not very lol. It's essentially Turkish translations with heavily edited words, but I do take other Turkic languages and make up words based on them. I was going to make up a fake history for it as well, but I never got around to it.

Rejistania wrote:

So, a People's Republic Of Tyranny? :)

Precisely.

Another trope that would apply nicely to Padullahstan 00Cly: Poe's Law
The Padullahstani Republic
"Where everything's classified!"™

This nation does not reflect the actual opinions of the poster at all, and this nation should not be taken seriously. At all. It's meant to be an over-the-top parody of dictatorships and oppressive regimes.

Barrettstia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Barrettstia » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:57 pm

I'll probably update this in the future but here's what I've got so far:

Ace Pilot: Flight Lieutenant Eleanor McDonald
Action Girl: Flt. Lt. McDonald and Private Catherine 'Posh' De Burca
Aerith and Bob: Character names range from regular English and particularly Scottish to bastardised French and Russian. Justified somewhat due to the Federal Union being a mixture of three countries.
A father to his men: General Anton De Vries, but not just to his own men. He loathes collateral damage and any non-essential loss of life.
Blue Blood: The Aristocracy during Barrettstia's formation, fitting the idea that Aristocrats Are Evil. Also Pvt. De Burca, though not an aristocrat, earned her nickname 'Posh' due to her coming from a rich family and was going to university once she finished her national service. She avoids being a Royal Brat about it though.
Break the Cutie: Pvt. De Burca
Call A Rabbit A Smeerp: Somewhat averted. Silvertip bear really is a less common name for a Grizzly.
Care Bear Stare: Although Chris B Chikin is not evil, Anessa Rhae still has this effect on him.
Death From Above: The "flarestrike" tactic requires all available ordnance to be immediately dumped on wherever a trooper has thrown a red flare or smoke grenade. Also the FAF Commandos who do aerial insertions with wingsuits.
Eagleland: Flavour 1
Everything's Worse With Bears: Which is why they're our national animal. Our tanks are named after various species of bear and there are frequent references to bear attributes in local proverbs.
Gentleman Adventurer: Lord Andrew Frame considers himself this when on hunting expeditions.
Hollywood Tactics: Averted, which is great since everyone else seems to use them.
Hot Sub on Sub Action: The Barrettstian submarine Liopleuradon scored the first kills of the Khedive Crisis when it sank four Creciuani submarines being used by the Republic of Undead Carthage. Sadly, the whole episode was retconned.
I Need A Freaking Drink: Chris B Chikin after seemingly every day in the office.
Ironic Nickname: The Federal Air Force Commandos, one of the best special forces organisations in the region, are referred to colloquially as "Squirrels"
Jack Bower Interrogation Technique: Barrettstia permits the torture of certain convicted felons, but only if you can get through all the bureaucracy.
Lady Of War: Admiral Janice Cairns
Lawful Good
Macross Missile Massacre: Used by both sides at the Battle of Pederton. The two fleets spent several hours just tossing missiles back and forth at each other.
Magnificent Bastard: Euan Barrett and Sathmel, both key figures in creating Barrettstia in the 1500s.
Memetic Badass: Within the region of Escapikickass, the Federal Air Force Commandos are this second only to the Saurean Templar.
New Meat: Pvt. De Burca initially
Officer And A Gentleman: Captain Nikolai Cameron with regard to Pvt. De Burca.
Only One Name: Sathmel
Our Presidents Are Different: Premier Chris B Chikin is President Personable.
Peace And Love Incorporated: Salamander Arms & Munitions' are ever curteous and polite and seem eager to skirt around the fact that they sell things to kill people.
Planet of Hats: Seemingly all Barrettstians have multiple orgasms whenever someone says 'Democracy'.
Professional Butt Kisser: Malcolm Hume is paid to be this as Salamander Arms & Munitions' Customer Services Manager.
Peace Through Superior Firepower: Barrettstia has managed to avert several international crises by simply sticking a fleet near the brewing incident and threatening to use it.
Ret Con: After the RP fell apart through lack of interest the Khedive Crisis was retconned as being resolved peacefully. Also the Germanskian invasion of one of Barrettstia's colonies was deemed never to have happened after Germanskia ceased to exist half way through. In fact, the whole colony's existence has been retconned. Also several characters have had their names or titles changed. Natalia Sevroz is first introduced as the Finance Minister although she is now firmly the Minister for Foreign Affairs, and Admiral Janice Cairns first appears as the captain of a Destroyer instead of as an Admiral on an Aircraft Carrier.
Semper Fi: The Federal Army of Barrettstia, particularly the Third Cavalry Regiment and Kilo Company
Sergeant Rock: Sergeant Damien Tulloch is introduced torturing a fellow Barrettstian soldier on a training mission.
Sibling Yin Yang: Damien and Gabriel Tulloch.
That Other Rainforest: The Fjordlands in Western Barrettstia
The Consigliere: Natalia Sevrov is often seen playing this to Chris B Chikin. So did James Baltimore before he went rogue.
The Federation: Actually it's the Federal Union of Barrettstia, So Yeah...
The Neidermeyer: In Cpt. Cameron's eyes, Any member of the adjutants corps.
Utopia: Not quite but, with a great economy, good civil rights, and a tax rate of about 12%, I'd still like to live there.
Well Intentioned Extremist: Dmitri Medvedev wants to spread democracy...by blowing up buildings. James Baltimore paid him to do it. Both see their actions as a Necessary Evil.
Western Terrorists: The Democratic Army.
Last edited by Barrettstia on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Welfare; Freedom; Democracy!
Info: Factbook | Map | Salamander Arms & Munitions
Alliances: ODECON | Escapikickass
DEFCON: [1] 2 3 4 5
The Blaatschapen wrote:Fear the all knowing Barretstia for he is armed with information and knowledge *nods*
The Ularn wrote:
Zinaire wrote:I am a douchebag, but that doesn't make me any less right.
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.

Ramsetia
Minister

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ramsetia » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:51 pm

ooc; Gah. All the times I try and access the TVtropes site, their database spits up errors all over me. *wipes the latest one off with a towel* if anyone cares to apply them to my nation based off my factbook (link in signature) and what little I've gotten around to RPing, I'd be much obliged.
Our national Embassy Programme: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30197
Our Standard Factbook: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30375&start=0
Our FT-specific Factbook: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=47987&start=0
My photobucket: http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/houseckatna/ speak, 'friend', and enter.

I do request-art for weapons, vehicles, and soldiers. Telegramme me for further details, or if you've given me a request that I seem to have forgotten.

Saurea
Diplomat

Founded: May 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurea » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:25 pm

The following tropes apply to the Saurean Empire and, by extension, it's puppet Fulcrum International. Keep in mind that this list is frink'n long and will probably be added to later as I manage to think of more things to throw in there.

• Aborted Arc - With the outbreak of the "Democracy Wars" Anessa's "Pilgrimage" story arc has been put on hold indefinitely.
    - Ven has also become a victim of this as character RPs that he's a part of seem to have a habit of simply dying and falling to the wayside.
  • Action Girl - Rayline Barlow.
  • Actor Allusion - Philip Emerson Downes is based off of Chi McBride and the mannerisms of his character on Pushing Dasies, Emerson Cod.
    - Two of the three Rollins daughters, Merity and Faye, are based off of real-life sisters Emily and Zooey Deschanel, respectively.
    - Daniel Evans of the Saurean 227th RRF, who is based off of Josh Duhamel, is often referred to simply as "Danny" as a reference to his character on Las Vegas.
  • Aerith and Bob - In the Saurean Covenant alone we have people named Adriana, Lazarus and Lucius sitting next to people named Steven and Philip. Justified in the large variety of present ethnic groups in the Empire as a result of a steady amount of immigration.
  • Anachronic Order - Applies especially to the relationship between Ven and Annika Grainger. In the thread she was introduced Annika was a disillusioned young woman that was alone and abandoned in the world, but thanks to a complete stalling of that thread's progress Saurean canon has jumped ahead to the point where Annika has wound up as Ven's protege, making that thread more of a How We Got Here from the Saurean perspective when it finally picks up again, if at all.
  • The Artifact - Arguably Lucius Rollins, who use to be the official head-of-state of the Empire before the arrival of Anessa.
  • The Atoner - Ven lives and breathes this trope.
  • The Baroness - Olivia St. Claire, better known as "Harem" of Fulcrum.
  • Blessed With Suck - Annika Grainger can control pure energy, but in the past when it's overpowered her she's inadvertently, and unwillingly burnt off all of her clothing.
  • Blind Seer - Played strait with The Blind Observer.
  • Blue and Orange Morality - The Custodians run on this, despite their shared black-and-white color scheme implying otherwise. Their belief system is the exact same one that, along with acts of murder, humanitarianism, war-making and other things of the like that lie on both sides of the "conventional" moral spectrum justifies sending a Custodian operative three hundred miles into the desert on foot to simply move a rock from one side of a shrubbery to another. Why? Because it was necessary to maintain balance.
  • Break The Cutie - Faye Rollins, bright-eyed young idealist thrown into the middle of a battlefield.
  • Call a Rabbit a Smeerp - Saurea's national animal is the volfen, which is essentially a wolf with a funny sounding name.
  • Catch Phrase - "You have bee judged and found left wanting. Good day."
  • Church Militant - The Avatist Church falls under this thanks to maintaining the Templar as it's chamber militant.
  • Code Name - Every member of Fulcrum has some kind of assigned alias.
  • Combat Clairvoyance - In most renditions of his character Ven has a very mild form of this that extends to only a second or two into the future.
  • Coolest Club Ever - Flux, a nightclub in Olimarr that belongs to Johnny Two-Hats.
  • Crazy Cultural Comparison - On one of Saurea's major holidays, The Festival of Dwayna, it's commonplace and legal to see people having sex in plain public view. This coming from a theocratic state. So Yeah...
  • Dance Battler - Saurean Templar in general as a by-product of their training. Not literal dance fighting per se, but their style is based on fluid and efficient movement while deflecting and administering blows as they are most effective as quickly as possible. See here for an example.
  • Depleted Phelebotium Shells - While not invoked yet one of Saurea's allies is The United Dominion, which within it's population contains Vampires, Werewolves and the like, so if even by simple trade alone it can be theorized that such munitions exist.
  • Distaff Counterpart - Marshal Adriana Bishop is a direct female transplant of Captain Adrian Bishop, an RP character used during a space command RP on The Escapist. The gender change was a result of there being no major female Saurean characters at the time, although the gender divide has since been bridged.
    - The more characterization she receives the more Rayline Barlow has managed to gradually become a distaff counterpart of Malcolm Reynolds.
  • The Empire - A far more tame rendition of this trope, but an example nevertheless.
  • Everyone Calls Him Barkeep - Oracle, unlike his other named counterparts in Fulcrum, is never referred to by anything other than his alias.
    - Nowhere in history is The Blind Observer referred to as anything other than that title, her real name included.
  • The Faceless - Ven fits this trope to the letter. Fulcrum "Nulls" also qualify, but they do it intentionally by design as a fear tactic, which leads to...
  • Faceless Goons - Fulcrum "Nulls" are essentially intended to be faceless, expendable mooks that can be throw into a plot as the need arises to either present some sort of adversary or to even out the balance of power between different sides.
  • Foil - Annika Grainger is intended to be a foil to Ven as well as a device for his own character progression to iron out his personality flaws, among other things...
  • Foreign Cuss Word - Averted at [first[/i], as standard English euphemisms are part of the Saurean vocabulary. Somewhat played with using the terms "Grenth dammit" and "For Grenth's sake", which is a different spin on the usual phrase as effected by the local faith. Later played strait when "bosh'tet" is introduced as a common Saurean curse.
  • The Fundamentalist - Averted. There are tenants in the Avatist gospel that actually forbid forcing it upon others and encourage tolerance at bare minimum of other beliefs.
  • Funny Foreigner - Johnny Two-Hats, immigrant from Khedive-Rex, chew toy and all-around poor excuse for a gangster.
  • Fun with Acronyms - Saurea's version of SWAT is called the Rapid Emergency and Actionable Response force, or REAR.
    - Then there's the Identity Repository of Individual Specimens, or IRIS, the nation's identification database.
  • The Ghost - "The Shadow Broker", the leader of Fulcrum, is often referenced, but has never made an appearance.
  • Go Mad From the Isolation - The de-facto method of punishment at Nilcypher Internment Facility, where the entire prison is dedicated to solitary confinement of it's inmates.
  • Goddess in Human Form - Anessa Rhae.
  • Groin Attack - Not used, but threatened when Rori threatens to shoot Johnny Two-Hats in the crotch with his own pistol to get information out of him.
  • The Hedonist - A trait common in followers of Dwayna, who believe that they should live life to the fullest.
  • Hero of Another Story - Ven qualifies as this, as every character RP he's been a part of on NS has him as a supporting character or a member of an ensemble cast, not the actual focus.
    - Named members of Fulcrum also apply, depending on how flexible your definition of "hero" is.
  • Hired Guns - Fulcrum .They'll kill you for a quarter if the exchange rate made it valuable enough.
  • Iconic Item - Ven's helmet, which he is never seen without and at this point essentially is his face.
  • Improbable Weapon User - Conrad Vick once killed seventy-four members of a radical cult using nothing but a corkscrew. Try not to think about it too hard.
  • Informed Ability - According to canon Adriana Bishop is a tactical prodigy, but so far she hasn't had a chance to show it.
  • Jerkass - Secretary of Defense Dorian Strattmen, who generally has a snarky and abrupt attitude in regard to pretty much everyone.
  • Kill it With Fire - During "The Democracy Wars" the Saurean Military needed to get through the Uraniu Forum, a large and lush forest, to move troops into Revolvisia for a counter invasion. How did they choose to clear a path? Napalm the shit out of it.
  • Knight Templar - Subverted by the Saurean Templar, who may share the name but act more in the capacity of the military's Special Forces and in a similar capacity to organizations like the FBI, the CIA, the Secret Service, and so on.
  • Knoledge Broker - One of the things Fulcrum deals in is the buying and selling of information.
  • Lady of War - Especially prevalent within the Templar Order, but all in all the entire Saurean Military qualifies, being an equal-opportunity organization.
  • Let's Get Dangerous - Anessa Rhae, the kind-hearted idealist and inspiration to millions, who upon being assaulted by terrorists breaks a man's spine with her mind.
  • Mac Guffin - Ven's pocketwatch, which, when analyzed, has the sole purpose of pointing him in the direction of the plot.
  • Meaningful Name - Fulcrum gets it's name from the fulcrum of a lever, implying that they directly shift the Balance Of Power between nations.
  • Memetic Badass - The Templar have gained this status in Escapikickass.
  • Military Science Fiction - The organization of the Saurean military qualifies as the Empire is completely without any form of navy and it's land army is organized into self-sufficient "Crusade Armies".
  • Murder Inc - Fulcrum. Again.
  • Oddly Small Organization - Justified in The Custodians, which is a religious order that was thought to be extinct. No one really knows how many Custodians are left, including themselves.
    - Fulcrum is also inadvertently a victim of this. If RPs are anything to go by the only members of Fulcrum are apparently Oracle and Harem.
  • Only One Name - If Ven has a last name, let alone what part of his name "Ven" is, it's never been stated.
  • Naked On Arrival - Although the thread with her introduction was initially abandoned to as other events within the region began to progress to quickly, Anessa Rhaae was originally intended to invoke this trope.
  • Nonindicative Name - Despite the title empire Saurea is far less expansionist with a great deal more civil freedoms that you would think.
  • Omniscient Council of Vaugeness - Averted in the Saurean Covenant. Played strait with the Templar Council.
  • Peace Through Superior Firepower - It's a widely accepted fact that in canon Saurea has the strongest and all-around best military within it's home region of Escapikickass. This has even reached levels where Archonis-Thay has stated that one of his cornerstones of international relations is "not to piss off Saurea".
  • Planet of Hats - Besides the Empire itself, who's hat is clearly faith, pretty much all of the different sub-sects of Avatism wear some kind of hat to make them different from one another. The Custodians have an obsession with balance, The Stewards are naturalists, and so on.
  • Power Limiter - Some character, like Anessa Rhae, canonically have certain abilities that will either be scaled back or even completely ignored depending on the agreed on suspension of belief in an RP.
  • Proud Warrior Race Guy - Service in the military is considered a prestige profession in Saurea.
  • Pale Skinned Brunette - The "pure" Saurean demographic is described as this.
  • Private Military Contractors - Fulcrum, obviously.
  • Ret Con - After the entire course of the Creucian War was changed when Creciuan pulled a military coup out of nowhere the RP thread was eventually abandoned as it had been derailed from it's original purpose. As a result the Saurean 1st military action of Operation: Velouria never really happened, nor did the civil war itself. Instead the war came to an end via peaceful means.
    - The Germinaska Conflict never canonically happened, so Fulcrum's involvement in the invasion of Barrettstia's colony technically never took place.
    - Originally Esme Rollins was the only daughter of Lucius but this was later changed as her older sisters Merity and Faye were made mention of. On a similar note the actress used to represent Minister of Education Shelby Roth was changed as the previous one was transferred over to Faye.
  • Roaring Rampage of Revenge - Rin's War ends with The Blind Observer's host not only chasing down the retreating Rin army back home, but with them burning the city to the ground.
  • Running Gag - The only person that seems to remember the name of Vincent Chass's assistant is... Vincent Chass. The narrator or any given post isn't even exempt from this.
    - "Can I bring my corkscrew?"
  • Shout Out - Several to The Longest Journey, including themes regarding balance and Anessa Rhae sharing the same initials as the game's protagonist, April Ryan.
    - During "Democracy By Any Means" Rayline Barlow can be seen reading "The Spheres of Longing" by Gideon Ravenor.
    - The Avatist Gods are the same five from Guild Wars.
    - This is more along the lines of outright theft than a shout-out, but The Hollow Bastion takes it's name from a level in Kingdom Hearts.
    - Templar military uniforms are based off of Templar armor from Hellgate: London.
    - The Shadow Broker takes his name from a character of the same name from Mass Effect. The same also applies to the club Flux, the Saurean trading hub Port Hanshen and the "Neutron Purge" radiation weapon.
    - The hero of the Saurean First Crusade is named Deacon Raynor.
    - Saurean military operations, such as Mirrorball and Maddening Shroud, are often named after songs.
    - The idea for "gangster", and I use that term lightly, Johnny Two-Hats comes from The Mighty Boosh.
    - Rayline Barlow carries a shotgun/pistol hybrid much like the one carried by Re-L Mayer, along with wearing a similarly-described outfit.
    - Fair Witnesses are a direct copy and paste from Stranger in a Strange Land.
  • The Spartan Way - The Templar Order recruits it's new members at birth, either by selective breeding, orphan cast-offs or flat-out donations to the state. From there they spend roughly the next two decades training until they're officially inducted in the Order. Trainees dying during this process is a common sight.
    - To a far lesser extent the Saurean Military also qualifies. While Saurean training isn't necessarily deadly, it is more strenuous and taxing than that of most other nations.
  • Spell My Name with an S - Minister of Allied Affairs Van Garrus gained his current name after other players constantly misspelled the first name "Ven" as this. His name was originally meant to be a reference to the character Ven the Custodian, which had been used elsewhere, but was eventually changed to the misspelling Van after the real Ven was introduced in Romulan Republic's Superhero RP.
  • Stealth Pun - The Saurean Military once napalm bombed region of Revolvisia called the Uraniu Forums. Think about it...
  • Twenty Minutes Into The Future - From a technology standpoint, at least.
  • Waif Prophet - The Blind Observer, a blind sixteen year old girl who, in this order, climbs up and then down a massive mountain with only her bare hands, preaches the gospel of Avatism, beheads a tyrant and leads a crusade that resulted in the formation of the Empire.
  • We Have Reserves - Averted. "Acceptable losses" isn't a term that exists within the Saurean vocabulary.
  • What Measure is a Non-Human? - Planned to be played with down the line with the canonical introduction of The Synthetic Union and synthetic life.
  • What The Hell, Hero? - During Romulan Republic's Superhero RP a villain named Reaper attempts to make a clean getaway by trying to get Ven to choose to either stop him or save the lives of a handful of innocents. It doesn't work .
Last edited by Saurea on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.
"Faith is Our Shield"
We are currently re-building this nation's history and canon. Please stand by.
Current Military Standing: Condition Zero; Peace Time

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:58 pm

I could make a long list for the various people, characteristics, et cetera of the GWO.

The big one, though, would probably have to be Dark Messiah.

Some notable ones include:
-Police State
-Some weird cross between the Federation and the Empire
-Badass Army
-The Remnant (Applies to the Liberty Confederation, and to the GWO towards its beginnings)
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia
Peace sells, but who's buying? | Right is the new punk
A Better Class of Fascist
Got Discord? Add me at griff1337
Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.13
Amerikians: That sir, is one Epic Tank.
Altamirus: Behold the fascist God of War.
Aelosia: Shiiiiit, you are hot. More pics, I demand.

New Olwe
Minister

Founded: Aug 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Olwe » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:27 am

Ramsetia wrote:ooc; Gah. All the times I try and access the TVtropes site, their database spits up errors all over me. *wipes the latest one off with a towel* if anyone cares to apply them to my nation based off my factbook (link in signature) and what little I've gotten around to RPing, I'd be much obliged.

Team Switzerland is all I can think of based on your factbook. You mentioned a couple of times how you hesitate to enter into alliances and prefer to remain neutral, so it fits. Kind of.
Magic-using nation here! I don't RP in MT.
I seem to have forgotten to post the part where my ambassador informs New Olwe's representative that we will help. I'll do that later, I hope. - Fortareata
Start an Embassy in New Olwe!

Ramsetia
Minister

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ramsetia » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:30 am

It works for me! Go switzerland!
Our national Embassy Programme: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30197
Our Standard Factbook: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30375&start=0
Our FT-specific Factbook: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=47987&start=0
My photobucket: http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/houseckatna/ speak, 'friend', and enter.

I do request-art for weapons, vehicles, and soldiers. Telegramme me for further details, or if you've given me a request that I seem to have forgotten.

Mount Shavano
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2008
Corporate Bordello

Postby Mount Shavano » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:13 am

OOC: I'm too lazy to set up the links.

Author Appeal - Like many nations
Christianity is Catholic - Averted. In Mount Shavano it's more like Christianity is Baptist.
Eagleland - Some elements of flavor 1, but not the whole package.
Good Republic Evil Empire - The first half, and reflects the attitude of most Shavanese.
Honor Before Reason - The Front Range Republic has gotten into trouble a couple of times for refusing to renounce a bad treaty. Needless to say, we rarely enter into any formal committments now.
Knight In Shining Armor - How the Front Range Republic conducts its foreign relations. This includes defining the rights of FRR citizens anywhere in the world to be the same as in Mount Shavano, and defending them as such.
Lawful Good
Officer and a Gentleman - Part of the core training at all military academies in Mount Shavano.
Peace Through Superior Firepower - And how.
Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism - Way towards idealism, for the most part.
The Combat Pragmatist - FRR doctrine says the faster the war ends the less people die.
Twenty Minutes Into The Future - Some of the technology, anyway.
Yanks with Tanks - FRR Doctrine and equipment is very United States in theme.

Might be seen as by others:
Fantastic Racism - Any of the "Vampires are people too" nations would see us like this.
Mary Sue Topia - Comes with the Author Appeal.
Well Intentioned Extremist - See Knight In Shining Armor.
The Federation of Mount Shavano
Consul Morgan Dawson
Capital : San Angelo
The Cowboy Angel Rides

Station 12
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Station 12 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:39 am

Who posted me on the TV Tropes page?

I must hug them.
Welcome to Station 12, citizen. Have a HAPPY day.

Birnadia wrote:JOY unit is perfection. JOY unit cannot be questioned.

Verlorenen wrote:I might be a cold-hearted fascist, but honestly - Station 12, your posts scare the living hell out of me.

Manahakatouki wrote:I would but you scare the crap out of me....your nation anyway.....

New Caldaris wrote:LOL dude i rarely see your posts but when i do i am either laughing or terrified at the thought someone could even say something so sinister and evil.

Lockswania wrote:Station twelve, you scare me.

The Eurasican Union wrote:Station 12, My leader might be corrupt and evil on the inside, but if he was on your station, he'd jump into space as a form of suicide.

Herminia
Minister

Founded: Jul 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herminia » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:01 pm

Those Wacky Nazis-Need I say it?

Stupid Jetpack Hitler-Herminian scientists are developing various secret weapons: Super Soldiers with Dino DNA, Spacecraft, power armor, mechs, and even a jetpack.

Secret Police-The HH, Gestapo, and the Einsatzgruppen.

Evil Army-Cause we're Nazis, duh.

The Empire-Basically that's what we are.

Big Brother Is Watching-We are a Totalitarian state, that's why.

Super Soldiers-Because Nazi scientists are researching Super Soldiers.
Last edited by Herminia on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
No, in RL, I'm not a Nazi, I'm just an ordinary guy who knows the true politics behind it.
New Nicksyllvania wrote:Long live the Empire! A thousand Huzzahs for Herminia, and may our most esteemed Chancellor, the handsome devil, die a most noble and courageous death soon!

Canadai wrote:Seeing that, in a modern setting, scares the @#!*% out of me.

I have to say, you're by far the best at RPing a modern Nazi nation I've seen. Right down to the national motto.

in Herminia, gays are given the honour of executing communists

you truly are an enlightened nation

Zis nation has elements of magic, oppressed Nichtmenschen, and Nazi Super Science, zere is no realism with me

New Olwe
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Olwe » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:48 pm

Station 12 wrote:Who posted me on the TV Tropes page?

I must hug them.

I think it was Niraamaya, but I'm not certain. Might've been somebody else, since I know of 2 or 3 other NSers besides me and Niraamaya that have edited that page.
I seem to have forgotten to post the part where my ambassador informs New Olwe's representative that we will help. I'll do that later, I hope. - Fortareata

Numidia Magna
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Numidia Magna » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:42 pm

I naturally wonder what the tropes for Numidia Magna would be, but I can guess.

New Olwe
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Olwe » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:17 am

Numidia Magna wrote:I naturally wonder what the tropes for Numidia Magna would be, but I can guess.

Four Star Badass: General Juba Micipsa (sp?)
The Revolution Will Not Be Vilified: I'm assuming this applies.
Heel Face Turn: You started out as a nation that kept slaves, practiced human sacrifice and started wars based on your desire to oppress women. Then the revolution came, and the new regime fell squarely on the side of good.
Axe Crazy: Arguably your previous ruler before Juba. Can't remember his name, but he was a pretty fucked-up dude (no offense intended, I'm assuming you meant to play him that way).

That's all I can think of for now.

Herminia
Minister

Founded: Jul 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herminia » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:28 pm

Badass Army-Well, because our military's based on that of Nazi Germany, so they're pretty badass.

Everything's Better With Dinosaurs-Due to the fact that we are trying to create Dino super soldiers

Ninja Pirate Robot Zombie-Dinosaurs, Nazis, Clones, Super Soldiers, Robots, need I say more?
Last edited by Herminia on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
No, in RL, I'm not a Nazi, I'm just an ordinary guy who knows the true politics behind it.
New Nicksyllvania wrote:Long live the Empire! A thousand Huzzahs for Herminia, and may our most esteemed Chancellor, the handsome devil, die a most noble and courageous death soon!

Canadai wrote:Seeing that, in a modern setting, scares the @#!*% out of me.

I have to say, you're by far the best at RPing a modern Nazi nation I've seen. Right down to the national motto.

in Herminia, gays are given the honour of executing communists

you truly are an enlightened nation

Zis nation has elements of magic, oppressed Nichtmenschen, and Nazi Super Science, zere is no realism with me

The Children of Mama
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Children of Mama » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:10 am

Our nation is called "The Nekomimi Hivemind of the Children of Mama". We're a race of anime-style "nekomimi" who live in a hive mind society, ruled over by a shared consciousness known as Mama. However, unlike standard nekomimi, we look (and act) like we're only around 7 years old, making us little cat-girls and cat-boys who never grow up. Needless to say, this makes us appear a little disturbing when topics such as sex and war come up.

As aliens, of course, we have our own planet, which is remarkably Earth-like. Historically, our civilization was once much like humanity's, however, we developed a marvelous technology that enabled us to use telepathy to communicate. This turned out to be a two-edged sword, because in our attempts to make the communications network as fool-proof as possible, we ended up making it so complex that it became self-aware. Now it provides so much help to us that we cannot exist independently from it. Fortunately for us, Mama is a benevolent ruler. Since She is literally a part of us, She can't help but try to do what She thinks is best for us.

The Jotun
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Jotun » Sat May 29, 2010 5:56 pm

TheBerserker]
Normal soldier in the jotun star navy

SchizoTech]
It's not abnormal to see both a ray gun, and a sword for sale side by side at an arms market

SpacePirates]
We have so many of these it's not even funny

WorthlessYellowRocks]
Nanotech can make these vey quickly and with no problems

HumongousMecha]
All over the place, in both the army as tanklike giants and outside it like cars

Warhammer40000]
We are somewhat based on the Ocks

Big. Funking. Gun.]
Every. Single. Wepeon. We. Use.

BaddassArmy]
To an insane level

RubberForeheadAliens]
Kinda avarted, a jotun is clearly not human at all, dispite haveing the two-arms-two-legs-two eyes base apperence

AbnormalAmmo]
Every wepeon we use shoots some from of this

RuleOfCool]
Almost everything we do in war runs off this

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information