NATION

PASSWORD

Your Nation's Air Force Mark II:

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Radicchio
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Radicchio » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:45 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Radicchio wrote:
Well you have me taking it seriously now.
Thanks.

The best part is that it can carry or can be modified to carry virtually the entire arsenal of any reasonable air force. There are few if any modern RL air-delivered weapons that outweigh its' maximum payload.

I am going to mount that gatling cannon it, hang 24 anti-tank missiles from it and deploy it as a tank hunter with coaxial helicopters providing spotting and look down targeting...
you know, cause someone has to.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:07 pm

Radicchio wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
The best part is that it can carry or can be modified to carry virtually the entire arsenal of any reasonable air force. There are few if any modern RL air-delivered weapons that outweigh its' maximum payload.

I am going to mount that gatling cannon it, hang 24 anti-tank missiles from it and deploy it as a tank hunter with coaxial helicopters providing spotting and look down targeting...
you know, cause someone has to.

3x Brimstone per pylon x9 hardpoints (so 27 missiles) x 50kg per Brimstone will set you back 12150kg ; I don't think total pylon weight will be over 2T so you're in the green

the gun? for general anti-armor use? yeah. anti-tank? useless today.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:13 pm

whats the smallest caliber HEAT effective against modern MBT roof armor?
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:36 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:whats the smallest caliber HEAT effective against modern MBT roof armor?

50mm EFP can do bugger.

Although for a safety-margin most people go with something bigger than 90mm, SADARM used submunitions the diameter of the projectile (~125mm).
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:38 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:whats the smallest caliber HEAT effective against modern MBT roof armor?

Plenty of modern MBTs have like 30mm of steel up there :p

But if we are talking about something like the Merkava IV or Strv 122 I'd guesstimate ~90mm. Preferably tandem.
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:57 pm

<implying ERA on roof

so 80mm won't cut it??

edit: pun unintended
Last edited by DnalweN acilbupeR on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:02 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:<implying ERA on roof

What?
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:05 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:

What?

I know, but that's not something you'll see a lot of on Western (and incidentally NS) tanks

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:07 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:I know, but that's not something you'll see a lot of on Western (and incidentally NS) tanks

If it's the stereotypical NS tank then you'll just see really thick passive roof armor, claiming ERA-like levels of protection. But I don't think it's as rare as you think; my tanks have it, and I'm hardly the most creative person here.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Newne Thernania
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Newne Thernania » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:09 pm

RIP Carriebean nov 6,2013-July 7,2014 daddy loves you )Carriebean -- we did this horrid act. (in case you don't know.. .)
Cyprevus -- Just a question why do you nuke your own city's and kill your own people.
Carribean -- I try to toughen the people up for a nuclear brawl between another nation, so they are prepared for the real deal.
Bulgaria-Serbia -- Couldn't you just do a drill simulating it instead, and educate them on what to do in the case if a nuclear strike ?
Carriebean -- no, It's fun to watch them panic.[/spoiler]

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:10 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:I know, but that's not something you'll see a lot of on Western (and incidentally NS) tanks

If it's the stereotypical NS tank then you'll just see really thick passive roof armor, claiming ERA-like levels of protection. But I don't think it's as rare as you think; my tanks have it, and I'm hardly the most creative person here.

ok. lets assume no era. 80mm HEAT against tank roof y/y?

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:19 pm

Can imaging IR into SALH??

Radicchio
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Radicchio » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:28 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:3x Brimstone per pylon x9 hardpoints (so 27 missiles) x 50kg per Brimstone will set you back 12150kg ; I don't think total pylon weight will be over 2T so you're in the green

The gun is a must for me because i am doing an RP against a guy who likes to use a lot of irregular civilian vehicles as anti-armor vehicles. He is hitting me with carl gustavs, hydra rocket pods and ingwe missile launchers from thebacks of toyotas and volvos.
This is currently keeping me hunting antiarmor on the ground rather than hunting armor.
I see no sense dropping the dime on an anti-tank missile when an autocannon can cheese an isuzu without costing me a buck five a shot.

Meanwhile i want to be actively hunting his MK-III tanks from the sky so i dont have to keep repositioning my armor to stay in controll of key roads and bridges.

Hence, i need a tank hunter, with a gun so i can supress his armor while making his irregulars an unviable option.
It may only work for a few rounds until he moved AA into the field but that may be all i need.

Stahn
Senator

Founded: May 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:37 pm

Radicchio wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:3x Brimstone per pylon x9 hardpoints (so 27 missiles) x 50kg per Brimstone will set you back 12150kg ; I don't think total pylon weight will be over 2T so you're in the green

The gun is a must for me because i am doing an RP against a guy who likes to use a lot of irregular civilian vehicles as anti-armor vehicles. He is hitting me with carl gustavs, hydra rocket pods and ingwe missile launchers from thebacks of toyotas and volvos.
This is currently keeping me hunting antiarmor on the ground rather than hunting armor.
I see no sense dropping the dime on an anti-tank missile when an autocannon can cheese an isuzu without costing me a buck five a shot.

Meanwhile i want to be actively hunting his MK-III tanks from the sky so i dont have to keep repositioning my armor to stay in controll of key roads and bridges.

Hence, i need a tank hunter, with a gun so i can supress his armor while making his irregulars an unviable option.
It may only work for a few rounds until he moved AA into the field but that may be all i need.

Using material in a RP that you have purposely designed to counter an enemy with irregular equipment might be considered godmodding. Unless for example there is a plausible explanation why your armed forces are so well adapted to fight this enemy.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:38 pm

Radicchio wrote:

guided rockets are your friend

the marvels of the modern world..

EDIT: Protip - you don't need a dedicated anti-tank plane for fighting insurgents.

You need..

*drumroll*

disclaimer: 4.1T payload with armor will kill insurgents really dead!
Last edited by DnalweN acilbupeR on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stahn
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:44 pm

Radicchio wrote:
Stahn wrote:[quote="Radicchio";p="22838274
Panavia Tornado or the Eurofighter Typhoon?

I had never considered the typhoon for close air support/anti-tank operations, d you know anything about how it preforms at altitudes of around or under 1000 ft?

Supposedly quite well. Maximum speed at low altitude Mach 1.2 (1470 km/h, 915 mph at sea level.

Radicchio
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Radicchio » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:50 pm

Stahn wrote:Using material in a RP that you have purposely designed to counter an enemy with irregular equipment might be considered godmodding. Unless for example there is a plausible explanation why your armed forces are so well adapted to fight this enemy.

I am going to identify the "right" equipment, go to the traders, find someone selling them used, buy them, ship them and recieve them then take a couple of full rounds to train and deploy in limited numbers before utilizing them fully.
I do not believe that will be "godmod."

Stahn
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:53 pm

Radicchio wrote:
Stahn wrote:Using material in a RP that you have purposely designed to counter an enemy with irregular equipment might be considered godmodding. Unless for example there is a plausible explanation why your armed forces are so well adapted to fight this enemy.

I am going to identify the "right" equipment, go to the traders, find someone selling them used, buy them, ship them and recieve them then take a couple of full rounds to train and deploy in limited numbers before utilizing them fully.

Neither do I. :)

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:53 pm

Radicchio wrote:

i'll give you a crankin deal on guided rockets you in?

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:55 pm

so 80mm won't cut it??

Personally I would say 100mm is the minimum caliber for an effective top attack munition against tanks with armoured roofs. All things considered.
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:57 pm

The Kievan People wrote:

so 80mm won't cut it??

Personally I would say 100mm is the minimum caliber for an effective top attack munition against tanks with armoured roofs. All things considered.

meh, I just wanted to know how well 80mm e.g. mortar or rockets would do

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:59 pm

Radicchio wrote:

Then your enemy has forced you to buy expensive (even second hand) equipment by just throwing some leftovers on his trucks. Buying a whole new fleet of aircraft, developing new operational procedures for them, training pilots and maintenance personnel, qualifying and certifying your weapons for use on these new aircraft, and then building the infrastructure and supply chain to support them is not going to be cheap at all, and certainly not cheaper than even using a full Hellfire on each truck from your existing aircraft.

If you want to provide cheap COIN/CAS, just use an armed trainer, which would would more plausibly already have.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:00 pm

Ultimate ground attack.
Atomic COIN best COIN.
Last edited by Purpelia on Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:03 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Radicchio wrote:

Then your enemy has forced you to buy expensive (even second hand) equipment by just throwing some leftovers on his trucks. Buying a whole new fleet of aircraft, developing new operational procedures for them, training pilots and maintenance personnel, qualifying and certifying your weapons for use on these new aircraft, and then building the infrastructure and supply chain to support them is not going to be cheap at all, and certainly not cheaper than even using a full Hellfire on each truck from your existing aircraft.

If you want to provide cheap COIN/CAS, just use an armed trainer, which would would more plausibly already have.

you're exaggerating as far as COIN is concerned.

>take agricultural plane
>slap on basic surveillance and targeting electronics
>slap on existing weapons
>coin aircraft

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:12 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:

you're exaggerating as far as COIN is concerned.

>take agricultural plane
>slap on basic surveillance and targeting electronics
>slap on existing weapons
>coin aircraft

That still means training new engineers, pilots, and maintenance crews for that aircraft. Then their is actually building/buying the new plane, the weapons, and adding the weapons to the plane.

All while you should have trainers of various sorts (including prop trainers) that already are capable of holding some form of weapons. This is assuming you don't already have some form of COIN aircraft or a multi role that can do the role just as well.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information