NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation [NO MECHS] Type 6

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will OP the next MGVoYN[NM] thread?

Imperializt Russia
25%
Anemos Major
33%
Questers
5%
Dragomere
13%
Dostanuot Loj
3%
The Kievan People
14%
Oaledonia
8%

Total votes : 159

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon May 05, 2014 9:48 am

Anemos Major wrote:
Purpelia wrote:I understand what you are saying and agree to some extent. It's just that personally I have a philosophy when it comes to these things. And that is that gun > armor. I can explain the details if you like. But right now It's just that far too often I see people who argue the opposite and I just wanted to see if anyone else felt like me for a change. So it's not really starting an argument as much as it is just pooling.

It's actually be quite interesting if you could explain the details. It's not that I disagree, mind you, just that I agree with you to some extent in some areas, but don't necessarily see how that approach is applicable elsewhere.

Well here is a short version. The logic is that in battle initiative is everything.

Having more armor might allow you to survive a first strike. However it's also planing with the full intent of taking said first strike in the face. And this in it self is inherently bad. What it means is that you plan for, design for and expect your opponent to have the initiative in the engagement. And if this is true, what's stopping him from simply waiting a few more minutes for you to roll down the street and present your back to him for a cheaper shot? Or just firing several more missiles at you until one does penetrate? It's the standard problem with infantry tanks. Unless you give them enough armor to be virtually invulnerable across all angles they just become sitting ducks.

On the other hand, a vehicle that specializes on less armor and thus more mobility combined with better sensors and greater firepower in terms of both capability and range can when used properly detect and engage enemies beyond their capability to ambush you. It can destroy their hideouts, detect enemies at range and force them to fight on your terms and perhaps most importantly maneuver much more freely to avoid expected ambush points. It can cross rivers without needing a bridge, move through narrow alleyways without tearing everything up and blast its way into buildings instead of crashing into them. You only need to have enough armor to survive things that can outrange you (like anti tank rifles etc.) or that can maneuver even more freely (various autocanons up to the 30mm range mounted on light vehicles).

Think of it this way. You have two squads of infantry, one riding in a Namer like HIFV and another riding in a BMP-3.
The former is designed with the idea that you just ride through town hoping you don't get ambushed. And if you are, than the troops inside are safe for long enough to rush out and start shooting. If this happens, the only recourse they have is to hope they can rush in and clear the building manually.
The later is designed with the idea that your troops will dismount beforehand and clear the way for the vehicle, directing the fire of its 100mm gun to obliterate any ambush. Yes, your infantry might get fired upon and you might take some losses. But the moment their first shot is fired your 100mm gun is going to make sure it's the last. This means your enemy can't expect to retain the capability to simply fade away after an ambush. And unless he is fanatically suicidal this means he will start taking shots from greater range where he is less accurate but also less likely to be detected by your infantry. And given that a vehicle is always going to have superior sensors to infantry this further stacks the deck in your favor.

Adding more armor only means your enemy has to fire a few extra RPG's. Adding more gun means he has to engage you far more carefully.

The same logic applies in a symmetrical combat scenario. If you have a bigger, long ranged gun you can ensure that your enemy can not maneuver freely to engage your weak points because moving to bring his weapons to bear puts him in range of yours. So for as long as your vehicle has enough firepower to beat his armor reliably at ranges exceeding the capability of his weapons to beat yours he has to avoid fighting you.

It's really the logic behind why we don't see heavy tanks like the Matilda II with huge amounts of armor and little guns any more.
Last edited by Purpelia on Mon May 05, 2014 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Mon May 05, 2014 9:55 am

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Yes. Unless the 17-pounder is radically different than the 76 mm gun M1 in terms of recoil forces you should do fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M18_Hellcat

Thanks.

The tank I was planning on using with it was a modified version of the M16/43 Celere Sahariano prototype.

Again, I want those 17 pounder back in fresh, factory made, condition.

I do not want a single speck of mud,dirt or blood on it.

You comprehend? :p
“There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind.
The second way is to be kind.
The third way is to be kind.”
― Fred Rogers
Currently looking for an artist for a Star Wars fan comic I want to make.

Leslau
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Leslau » Mon May 05, 2014 10:00 am

M 113 Armored personnel carrier is currently main vehicle of the Armed Republic of Leslau, it serves in the 1st Armored Brigade and 2nd Mechanized Cavalery Brigade. It's not a new machine, but it's good and can be serviced easily. Currently the goverment increased defence budget, so army seeks for the new machine that will replace M 113. It shouldn't be most expansive vehicle, after all. Any suggestion and someone can sells used, yet still good shaped machines?
Report about Armed Republic of Leslau army is here: http://www.nationstates.net/nation=lesl ... /id=251987

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Mon May 05, 2014 10:07 am

Leslau wrote:(Image)
M 113 Armored personnel carrier is currently main vehicle of the Armed Republic of Leslau, it serves in the 1st Armored Brigade and 2nd Mechanized Cavalery Brigade. It's not a new machine, but it's good and can be serviced easily. Currently the goverment increased defence budget, so army seeks for the new machine that will replace M 113. It shouldn't be most expansive vehicle, after all. Any suggestion and someone can sells used, yet still good shaped machines?
Report about Armed Republic of Leslau army is here: http://www.nationstates.net/nation=lesl ... /id=251987

I could possibly sell you the AMX-10Ps I'm replacing.
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Mon May 05, 2014 10:37 am

Purpelia wrote:Well here is a short version. The logic is that in battle initiative is everything.

Having more armor might allow you to survive a first strike. However it's also planing with the full intent of taking said first strike in the face. And this in it self is inherently bad. What it means is that you plan for, design for and expect your opponent to have the initiative in the engagement. And if this is true, what's stopping him from simply waiting a few more minutes for you to roll down the street and present your back to him for a cheaper shot? Or just firing several more missiles at you until one does penetrate? It's the standard problem with infantry tanks. Unless you give them enough armor to be virtually invulnerable across all angles they just become sitting ducks.

On the other hand, a vehicle that specializes on less armor and thus more mobility combined with better sensors and greater firepower in terms of both capability and range can when used properly detect and engage enemies beyond their capability to ambush you. It can destroy their hideouts, detect enemies at range and force them to fight on your terms and perhaps most importantly maneuver much more freely to avoid expected ambush points. It can cross rivers without needing a bridge, move through narrow alleyways without tearing everything up and blast its way into buildings instead of crashing into them. You only need to have enough armor to survive things that can outrange you (like anti tank rifles etc.) or that can maneuver even more freely (various autocanons up to the 30mm range mounted on light vehicles).

Think of it this way. You have two squads of infantry, one riding in a Namer like HIFV and another riding in a BMP-3.
The former is designed with the idea that you just ride through town hoping you don't get ambushed. And if you are, than the troops inside are safe for long enough to rush out and start shooting. If this happens, the only recourse they have is to hope they can rush in and clear the building manually.
The later is designed with the idea that your troops will dismount beforehand and clear the way for the vehicle, directing the fire of its 100mm gun to obliterate any ambush. Yes, your infantry might get fired upon and you might take some losses. But the moment their first shot is fired your 100mm gun is going to make sure it's the last. This means your enemy can't expect to retain the capability to simply fade away after an ambush. And unless he is fanatically suicidal this means he will start taking shots from greater range where he is less accurate but also less likely to be detected by your infantry. And given that a vehicle is always going to have superior sensors to infantry this further stacks the deck in your favor.

Adding more armor only means your enemy has to fire a few extra RPG's. Adding more gun means he has to engage you far more carefully.

The same logic applies in a symmetrical combat scenario. If you have a bigger, long ranged gun you can ensure that your enemy can not maneuver freely to engage your weak points because moving to bring his weapons to bear puts him in range of yours. So for as long as your vehicle has enough firepower to beat his armor reliably at ranges exceeding the capability of his weapons to beat yours he has to avoid fighting you.

It's really the logic behind why we don't see heavy tanks like the Matilda II with huge amounts of armor and little guns any more.

There're two big issues here - the first of these is that you're conflating 'seizing' the initiative with 'assuming' it, and that you're equating having armour to designing towards losing the initiative, which isn't necessarily the case.

Concerning the first - the initiative, nebulous though it may be, is definitely a powerful force to have on your side in engagements. Given that that's the case, having a good enough information network and the armaments to exploit that advantage are certainly key, especially in a contemporary combat environment - I've been a fairly strong proponent of that for a good few threads, and I believe I've expounded on it in some detail as well. That said, engagements aren't constrained to the planning of single, controllable encounters, and that's where your theory of combat runs into a wall - once you seize the initiative the first time, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to constrain future events to match your conception of the battlefield, or that you'll be able to use your abundance of sensors to obtain and analyse every piece of relevant information on the battlefield. A wise man once said (and I paraphrase), 'armour is your protection against uncertainty', and in that vein, I'd argue that assuming that gun trumps armour every time is a dangerous assertion to make given its reliance on a problematic assumption - rather, where you have the preponderance of information, it's perfectly acceptable to use superior positioning and mobility alongside sheer firepower to attempt to exploit that, but as a military planner you also have to accept the inevitable and have assets in place that you're capable of using without the assumption of perfect information. Hence, armoured vehicles - on the battlefield, where anything can be unknowable, you need assets capable of forming the vanguard of an operational force, whether as the spearhead of a penetration of enemy lines or as the armoured vehicle at the head of a column, to draw out enemy fire and responses, ascertain their intent, composition and capabilities, towards an action on your part that exploits that information.

People often misinterpret the 'initiative' as an imperative to attack first and attack fervently, which is what you seem to have done here. Inaction is anathema, sure, but by its very definition, a state of affairs whereby the enemy is forced into the responsive can only be obtained if the enemy's attempts to claim the initiative are, in turn, rendered ineffective, while in turn the initiative can quickly turn to disaster if unseen circumstances or events render your forces ineffective on the field of battle. Given that this is the case, you need some way of ensuring that you can maintain your hold over the initiative despite not necessarily having perfect information, and thus the second point. Armour is, in fact, anything but 'designing towards the assumption that the initiative will be lost' - rather, it's an attempt to design towards 'the maintenance of the initiative against the attrition of the unknowable'. Which is why simply assuming that gun > armour isn't realistic - where firepower + mobility is a combination with its uses on a battlefield where you have the information to exploit it, having protection in lieu of one of those two allows you to draw out the enemy into giving you that information, or to operate with a partial hedge against a lack thereof.

A Namer and a BMP-3 roll into a town. The Namer is lightly armed, and heavily armoured, and the opposite applies for the BMP-3. Inside the town are a number of IEDs, and a number of troops with MANPATs. The Namer will not be able to destroy these targets at range with impunity, but will be able to soak up at least some of the damage thrown at it by these weapons. The BMP-3 will be able to pick off or avoid these targets at range, provided it has perfect knowledge of their positions, capabilities and intents as the combat environment develops - can you guarantee that perfect knowledge in the fact of the very real danger of making a single mistake that will lead to that vehicle's demise? And thus the combined arms and capability arrangements you find in most militaries, where assets are designed with a range of capabilities towards responding to a variety of scenarios and, inevitably, contingencies.

Leslau
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Leslau » Mon May 05, 2014 10:46 am

San-Silvacian wrote:
Leslau wrote:(Image)

Sounds interesting. My army will need about 150 of them, with 40 at last equiped with anti tank gun and at last 5 in command variant.

Mitheldalond
Minister

Founded: Mar 15, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Mitheldalond » Mon May 05, 2014 10:54 am

Leslau wrote:
San-Silvacian wrote:

Sounds interesting. My army will need about 150 of them, with 40 at last equiped with anti tank gun and at last 5 in command variant.

I have a bunch of M2 Bradleys I'm not using, if you'd like some of those too. They carry ATGMS.

Urran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Urran » Mon May 05, 2014 10:59 am

Leslau wrote:
San-Silvacian wrote:

Sent you a TG
A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it's accepted by a majority.
Proud Coastie
The Blood Ravens wrote: How wonderful. Its like Japan, and 1950''s America had a baby. All the racism of the 50s, and everything else Japanese.

I <3 James May

I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
❤BITTEN BY THE VAMPIRE QUEEN OF COOKIES❤

Leslau
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Leslau » Mon May 05, 2014 11:04 am

Mitheldalond wrote:
Leslau wrote:Sounds interesting. My army will need about 150 of them, with 40 at last equiped with anti tank gun and at last 5 in command variant.

I have a bunch of M2 Bradleys I'm not using, if you'd like some of those too. They carry ATGMS.

It'd be even better, since I prefer US machines in my army. Do you have them in number I mentioned above?

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Mon May 05, 2014 11:11 am

Leslau wrote:It'd be even better, since I prefer US machines in my army. Do you have them in number I mentioned above?

Bradleys aren't a replacement for M113s.

New Tyran
Senator

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Tyran » Mon May 05, 2014 11:17 am

I'm currently working on a HIFV for directly supporting and carrying infantry in built up areas, as well as providing some support capabilities for armoured units, but I'm stumped.

Can anyone give me some pointers on what this vehicle should be equipped weaponry wise?

Gvozdevsk
Minister

Founded: Dec 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gvozdevsk » Mon May 05, 2014 11:22 am

Leslau wrote:It'd be even better, since I prefer US machines in my army. Do you have them in number I mentioned above?

I don't know if you realize this but Bradleys kind of suck and there's way better things you can use to replace the M113.

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Mon May 05, 2014 11:24 am

New Tyran wrote:I'm currently working on a HIFV for directly supporting and carrying infantry in built up areas, as well as providing some support capabilities for armoured units, but I'm stumped.

Can anyone give me some pointers on what this vehicle should be equipped weaponry wise?

Ravenous killer insect swarms.

New Vihenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 03, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby New Vihenia » Mon May 05, 2014 11:26 am

New Tyran wrote:I'm currently working on a HIFV for directly supporting and carrying infantry in built up areas, as well as providing some support capabilities for armoured units, but I'm stumped.

in my view.. weaponry should have high angle firing capability so it can engage anyone hiding in high building.. It must also have some penetration capability So at least it must have 12.7mm caliber or more. The other thing is perhaps some sort of fuel air rocket or missiles Or gun with suitable caliber to fire high explosive munition to provide some area suppression.
We make planes,ships,missiles,helicopters, radars and mecha musume
Deviantart|M.A.R.S|My-Ebooks

Big Picture of Service

Sintroa
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sintroa » Mon May 05, 2014 11:37 am

-post removed-
Last edited by Sintroa on Mon May 05, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sintroa, World Assembly Delegate of The Independent Order.

New Tyran
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Tyran » Mon May 05, 2014 11:37 am

New Vihenia wrote:

in my view.. weaponry should have high angle firing capability so it can engage anyone hiding in high building.. It must also have some penetration capability So at least it must have 12.7mm caliber or more. The other thing is perhaps some sort of fuel air rocket or missiles Or gun with suitable caliber to fire high explosive munition to provide some area suppression.

I was thinking of equipping it with a 40mm cannon to punch through structures and take out light vehicles combined with something like a 12.7mm or a automatic grenade launcher.

Should I also slap on some IRHA plates to harden it against kinetic energy penetrators or not?

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Immoren » Mon May 05, 2014 11:38 am

Sintroa wrote:Yeah, all your nation's tanks are cool and all... but this is better.

'Cos reading Op is hard.
IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

Sintroa
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sintroa » Mon May 05, 2014 11:44 am

Immoren wrote:
Sintroa wrote:Yeah, all your nation's tanks are cool and all... but this is better.

'Cos reading Op is hard.

This is well within the rules and I'm not trolling. Also, I recently passed an issue that enable's my nation to have this type of thing.
Sintroa, World Assembly Delegate of The Independent Order.

New Vihenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 03, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby New Vihenia » Mon May 05, 2014 11:45 am

New Tyran wrote:
I was thinking of equipping it with a 40mm cannon to punch through structures and take out light vehicles combined with something like a 12.7mm or a automatic grenade launcher.

You can get both of 50'cal and grenade launcher effect with 30mm autocannon.

Should I also slap on some IRHA plates to harden it against kinetic energy penetrators or not?

Kinetic energy penetrator of what form ? APFSDS or regular armor piercing ?

Anyway in such urban combat i'm not sure that you'll encounter KEP except regular armor piercing bullet. Thus you may use hmm lighter ceramic plate and perhaps some form of protection against RPG's.
We make planes,ships,missiles,helicopters, radars and mecha musume
Deviantart|M.A.R.S|My-Ebooks

Big Picture of Service

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Mon May 05, 2014 11:46 am

Anemos Major wrote:
AND THE GOLDEN RULE
No mechs. This means no legged vehicles, or any sort of vehicles that rely on legs for movement, even if designed to fulfill the same role as tanks. This includes hybrids like Ghost in the Shell think-tanks and Tachikomas. If you're looking for a thread about mechs, please follow this link

Sintroa wrote:
Immoren wrote:
'Cos reading Op is hard.

This is well within the rules and I'm not trolling. Also, I recently passed an issue that enable's my nation to have this type of thing.

Yes it is against the rules.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Mitheldalond
Minister

Founded: Mar 15, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Mitheldalond » Mon May 05, 2014 11:47 am

Sintroa wrote:
Immoren wrote:
'Cos reading Op is hard.

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation [NO MECHS] Type 6.

No mechs = no AT-ATs.

I realize the Bradley isn't a replacement for the M113, but I don't have any Strykers to offer.

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Mon May 05, 2014 11:48 am

Sintroa wrote:
Immoren wrote:
'Cos reading Op is hard.

Alas, it's not well within the rules at all - no mechs-, and your opening statement seems somewhat inflammatory. No matter - take your post down, take your business to the thread on the other end of the link provided above, and there'll be no trouble. :)

New Tyran
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Tyran » Mon May 05, 2014 11:51 am

New Vihenia wrote:
New Tyran wrote:

You can get both of 50'cal and grenade launcher effect with 30mm autocannon.

Kinetic energy penetrator of what form ? APFSDS or regular armor piercing ?

Anyway in such urban combat i'm not sure that you'll encounter KEP except regular armor piercing bullet. Thus you may use hmm lighter ceramic plate and perhaps some form of protection against RPG's.

Alright, thank you.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Mon May 05, 2014 12:32 pm

The Grey Wolf wrote:Would it be possible to fit a QF 17-pounder on a 16 ton tank?

yes but there might not be much tank left at the end of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archer_%28 ... stroyer%29
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Mon May 05, 2014 12:34 pm

Leslau wrote:
San-Silvacian wrote:

You'll most likely want a series of wheeled vehicles then.

I could sell you some new VBCI's without the turret and all that silliness.

Have them fitted witha 40mm grenade launcher and 7.62 or 12.7mm machine gun RWS.

AT variant could AMX-10RCs.

Command version is pretty easy to.
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█