NATION

PASSWORD

NS infantry discussion thread. Mark II

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will OP the next iteration of the IDT?

Aqizithiuda
27%
Benomia
25%
Dread Lady Nathicana
4%
Kyrusia
2%
Purpelia
8%
Samoz (Imperializt Russia)
6%
Spreewerke
10%
Transnapastain
7%
Ulfr-Reich / Aethal
2%
United states of brazilian nations
7%

Total votes : 134

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:44 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:Ever wondered why the Model 8 didn't become the first issued military semi-auto rifle? Now you know: http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=g-su ... sQXksP-YhI

I still love it.

...You can't stop me.

But, that takedown procedure does make it quite impractical for military use.

Last edited by Nua Corda on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Corda.
Sarcasm Warning! This post may not be entirely serious
Bullpups, Keymod and Magpul, oh my!
Bong Hits for Jesus!
Like Sci-Fi? Like Worldbuilding? Check out the Uprising Project!
Renegade for Life|Gun-toting Liberal. Because fuck stereotypes|Your friendly neighborhood gun nerd. Ask me anything!|Shameless Mass Effect Fan. I like Quarians a bit more than I should...|This nation is not a nation, and may or may not represent my views|I have been known to draw guns for folks, occasionally
Because people care, right?

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:02 pm

Nua Corda wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:Ever wondered why the Model 8 didn't become the first issued military semi-auto rifle? Now you know: http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=g-su ... sQXksP-YhI

I still love it.

...You can't stop me.

I can think of some minor ways to make disassembly easier, but the receiver is the main problem.
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I liked the prostitute - never quote me on that.

Puzikas wrote:This is beyond condom on toes. This is full on Bra-on-balls.

Puzikas wrote:Im not cheep-You can quote me on that.

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Live fire is not an effective means of communication.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:07 pm

God dam! I have driven in cars that have had less screws than that thing.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:09 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:
Nua Corda wrote:
I still love it.

...You can't stop me.

I can think of some minor ways to make disassembly easier, but the receiver is the main problem.

That, and long recoil doesn't seem like a very practical design for a service rifle. Too many moving parts for shit to go awry with.
Call me Corda.
Sarcasm Warning! This post may not be entirely serious
Bullpups, Keymod and Magpul, oh my!
Bong Hits for Jesus!
Like Sci-Fi? Like Worldbuilding? Check out the Uprising Project!
Renegade for Life|Gun-toting Liberal. Because fuck stereotypes|Your friendly neighborhood gun nerd. Ask me anything!|Shameless Mass Effect Fan. I like Quarians a bit more than I should...|This nation is not a nation, and may or may not represent my views|I have been known to draw guns for folks, occasionally
Because people care, right?

The Archangel Conglomerate
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Archangel Conglomerate » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:12 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:According to my understanding, the fastest twist rate currently in use is 160mm/1-in-6.3 (the MP7).

That's about the same as I'm finding. Although, I've been reading that both early .17 Bee barrels, and the 4.85x49mm British used a 1:5 twist rate.

In any case, I don't see it mattering much at this point. Either it won't ever come up, or it'll do with a 1:6.3 rate. That, or I add a lead plug to the base and make it a base stabilized projectile.

However, apparently the larger the bullet diameter, the looser the twist needs to be. For instance, a 7.62mm bullet might be torn about by gyroscopic forces if fired from a 1-in-7 twist barrel, or at least have a badly affected flight path.

Yep. The same for the shape really. The shorter the bullet, the looser the twist
(\/)(•,,,,•)(\/)
Please, call me Arch

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:For want of lances, the heavy equipment never reached the field.

For want of heavy equipment the platoons FOs could direct no HMGs.

For want of HMGs, the Archians had to rely on shitty fucking microcalibers.

For want of real weapons, they lost the war.

Premislyd
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Premislyd » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:35 pm

Not really planning on going through with this at all. but seeing as the SVD uses a short-stroke gas system, would it be possible to make an AK-a-like series of rifles, but based on the SVD receiver as opposed to the AK receiver?
Just a heads up, I suffer from [insert stereotypical internet illness here], and will use it as an excuse instead of taking responsibility for my actions.
~Transgendered, bisexual, transsexual, metrosexual, homosexual, Japanophile, heterosexual, transvestite asexual and proud~
Pimps Inc wrote:Swastikas are not allowed in nationstates unless your are RPing as Nazi Germany or sumthing

Coltarin
Senator

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Coltarin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:46 pm

Nua Corda wrote:

I still love it.

...You can't stop me.

I'm not going to lie, that made my brain hurt.
Coltarin (AKA Colt)
Paintis Bulpupis

Puzikas wrote:"No gun? Fuck it , you're now Comrade Meat Shield" level.
Fordorsia wrote:Why sell the restored weapons when you can keep them in a military-themed sex dungeon?
Spreewerke wrote:Basically plainclothes, armed security on a plane. Terrorist starts boxcuttering? Shoot his ass. Passenger starts being a dickhole penisweiner? Arrest his ass. Stewardess walks by? Smack dat ass. People obviously see you? Lose your job as a federal employee and suffer a failing marriage while your children don't speak with you at home and, due to your newly-developed drinking problem, you also lose all custody rights of your children. Your life culminates with your self-immolation inside your one-bedroom trailer home.

Spreewerke
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Spreewerke » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:49 pm

Premislyd wrote:Not really planning on going through with this at all. but seeing as the SVD uses a short-stroke gas system, would it be possible to make an AK-a-like series of rifles, but based on the SVD receiver as opposed to the AK receiver?

Third one down, but with more pistol grippings and shortened barrels?

Premislyd
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Premislyd » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:53 pm

Spreewerke wrote:
Premislyd wrote:Not really planning on going through with this at all. but seeing as the SVD uses a short-stroke gas system, would it be possible to make an AK-a-like series of rifles, but based on the SVD receiver as opposed to the AK receiver?

Yeah, basically.
Just a heads up, I suffer from [insert stereotypical internet illness here], and will use it as an excuse instead of taking responsibility for my actions.
~Transgendered, bisexual, transsexual, metrosexual, homosexual, Japanophile, heterosexual, transvestite asexual and proud~
Pimps Inc wrote:Swastikas are not allowed in nationstates unless your are RPing as Nazi Germany or sumthing

Spreewerke
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Spreewerke » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Premislyd wrote:
Spreewerke wrote:

Yeah, basically.

SVDS plus dem AK magazines plus whatever handguards equals win.

Triplebaconation
Senator

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:02 pm

Spreewerke wrote:
Blackledge wrote:Hey Spree, you're an enthusiast of ComBloc weapons. If I haven't asked you already, what are your thoughts on Czechnology?

Of the few firearms I've been able to handle that were Czech:

• Their Mausers? Yes.
  • Vz.52: fuck all of this rifle. Fuck it.
  • Vz.58: only reason I haven't bought one is because... well, I'm really not sure. I just have too many AKs to really justify getting a proprietary 7.62x39mm.
  • CZ-75: Yes.

I've heard great things about their other firearms, as well (CZ-82, CZ-83, Vz.61, etc.). The Czechs really make quality items, from my experience. The Vz.52 seemed like a solid-enough carbine, but it requires three to four hands to reassemble it because of its retarded return spring installation process. The Vz.58s are awesome, though. Very nice rifles overall. Only big complaint about them is the non-ambidextrous magazine release (but that is due to its BHO lever) and the fact the thumb/finger safety is on the right-hand side. It's easy to get with the index finger, like an M1 Carbine, but I feel like a thumb safety or a true ambidextrous safety would serve it better. So did some companies that made that very item aftermarket, apparently. Their Mausers are like you'd expect a Mauser to be: awesome. The CZ-75s and its variants are nice, but I still have a difficult time with their low-riding slide when it comes to racking it. I'm used to having much more to grab a hold of, so half the time I end up gripping the frame along with the slide when trying to chamber.

Nua Corda wrote:
Which you'd think would make it shittier and less likely to hold zero...

It's like you're trying to find reasons to disagree with me. I've noticed that lately, you've only been popping in to disagree or point out that someone is wrong. What's up with that?

I was mostly trying to point out that a mount on an airsoft gun will never see the stress a mount on a fully-automatic 9mm submachine gun in a combat zone would be seeing. Do some budget options exist that get the job done? You betcha: the $20.00 UTG mount that has somehow held zero on my AK is proof of this. Will it be as rugged as a proper, steel side-mount? Probably not.

The fact HK's mount was $500.00 isn't because they're a shitty company and you suck and they hate you (okay, maybe a little is due to people circle-jerking over HK, so I'll give you that). The fact it's a $500.00 mount is because they care about its quality because they have a reputation to uphold. At the same time, the HK mounting system is a fair bit more complex than the AK's, even if it does operate in an identical fashion (friction mount on a "rail" of sorts). The AK's is literally a lever with a screw. Turn the lever, tighten the screw, impart friction by bending the bottom half of the mount upwards. The HK's works a little differently since it half-circles over the top of the receiver itself. Although the method used to apply friction is quite similar to what's on the AK mounts, just looking at both should give you an idea of why one might be more expensive than the other to produce. HK also has to split their production between military and commercial sales, so they're going to want to make sure they're still getting a profit. UTG? Not so much: if it doesn't work, "well, it was just $20.00 and probably made for airsoft, anyway." Same reason why Belorussian side-mounts for the AK can run $150+ even though they are built in the same way the UTGs are. However, those mounts are made of steel and are built to exacting milspec. standards for AK mounts. They aren't something that was just milled out of a block of aluminum and anodized like the UTGs. They were made out of a specific kind of steel, milled in a specific way, and designed in a specific ways as to meet the standards of a combat-reliable mount. I doubt HK goes the UTG route, either, and probably designs stuff to be milspec., which can increase cost, due to using more expensive/durable materials.

Was this $500.00 mount made in the United States or in Germany, by the way?

It costs $500+ because its "Brand new HK German and rare! Hard to find and the ultimate collectible for your HK91, G3, PTR & HK93,33 style rifles."

I highly doubt he was trying to buy directly from HK, since they offer a limited number of parts and wouldn't sell something for $499 anyway - the webstore's prices are converted from Euros.
Proverbs 23:9.

Things are a bit larger than you appear to think, my friend.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:07 pm

Spreewerke wrote:

There's so much going on in that picture

why the picture of the G11's ammo? What's with the crazy flash hider on the SVD (is that from a Bren?)? What in blazes is that second one? And is that a 5.45x39 PKM fed from AK-74 magazines?
Last edited by Bezombia on Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:44 pm

As you might know, I am currently working on a semi-auto variant of my WW2 era rifle. Designed prior to WW1, the weapon would only be destined to catch on in the 30's (with quite a few improvements). And it would not really become a true main rifle for my army right until 1950, by which time a replacement would already be in the works.

But knowing this timeline a question I feel I must ask. How historically accurate/justified would it be if I gave the thing a fire selector.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:47 pm

Purpelia wrote:As you might know, I am currently working on a semi-auto variant of my WW2 era rifle. Designed prior to WW1, the weapon would only be destined to catch on in the 30's (with quite a few improvements). And it would not really become a true main rifle for my army right until 1950, by which time a replacement would already be in the works.

But knowing this timeline a question I feel I must ask. How historically accurate/justified would it be if I gave the thing a fire selector.

I'd say it would be a tad anachronistic, mostly because this is a full power rifle.

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:49 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:
Purpelia wrote:As you might know, I am currently working on a semi-auto variant of my WW2 era rifle. Designed prior to WW1, the weapon would only be destined to catch on in the 30's (with quite a few improvements). And it would not really become a true main rifle for my army right until 1950, by which time a replacement would already be in the works.

I'd say it would be a tad anachronistic, mostly because this is a full power rifle.

All I care about is what the people of the time would have thought of the idea? Smart? Stupid? Cary? Or maybe, just maybe "why the hell not?"

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:59 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:

All I care about is what the people of the time would have thought of the idea? Smart? Stupid? Cary? Or maybe, just maybe "why the hell not?"

Yeah, they'd have thought about it long before then.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:01 pm

Nirvashi Officer revolver.

Collaboration with Ulfr Reich. I drew the original. He made it not-puke in flash. I did the engraving. A beautiful baby was born. Chambered in .44 Chevalier.

†Lengthened .44-40 case. Semijacketed crimp groove hollow point.
Unreachable.

United states of brazilian nations
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby United states of brazilian nations » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:14 pm

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Nirvashi Officer revolver.

Collaboration with Ulfr Reich. I drew the original. He made it not-puke in flash. I did the engraving. A beautiful baby was born. Chambered in .44 Chevalier.

looks goddamn beautiful. may i ask what era is this for?
Puzikas wrote:
Graznovia wrote:Why does the dude look like Putin?
Did you knot know? There is no Russian people, only clones of Putin. We don't get names, just Numbers.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Kouralia wrote:AKA FiSH and CHiPS(Fighting in Someone's House and Causing Havoc in Public Spaces):p

Fordorsia wrote:Breaking news: The estimated leading cause of death is dying.
Imperializt Russia wrote:Well what it is, is an 18.5mm piece of hollow metal that, through witchcraft and evil, becomes significantly larger than 18.5mm.
Puzikas wrote:fuck you for drawing a good looking bulpup AK.
Puzikas wrote:USBN has a sensor that triggers after anything vaguely Brazilian is mentioned.
For HUE!

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Puzikas » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:16 pm

Imperializt Russia wrote:
United states of brazilian nations wrote:
airsoft is THAT cheap in the US?

hold on, moving to the US

No, he spent $300 on a .22LR bolt-action live-fire rifle and a scope and mount :P
You can buy Mosins for a Franklin apiece.

Airsoft is generally expensive. My one foray into Airsoft was a two-tone crappy plastic AEG G36-style thing. With low-capacity magazines (that you could at least clip together) and a mock suppressor that greatly improved its accuracy.

It cost me fifty English pounds.

Not to make you mad but I once bought a live fire .22 for the equal exchange rate for that.

And again, not to make you all mad, but I have the ability to buy a Model 8 on the cheep if I do want. Issue is, no way for me to get ammunition for it. And I like to shoot.

Bezombia wrote:
Spreewerke wrote:

There's so much going on in that picture

why the picture of the G11's ammo? What's with the crazy flash hider on the SVD (is that from a Bren?)? What in blazes is that second one? And is that a 5.45x39 PKM fed from AK-74 magazines?

1. Its a photo of a display of experimental rifles of the Soviet Union. The top rifle is the Lukin Sniper Rifle, a 10.3/4.5mm Flechette weapon

2. a caseless rifle.

3. Exactly what Spree said.

4. Correct, its the IP-2 5.45x39mm Light Machine Gun designed by Kalashnikov and Dragunovs sons.
Last edited by Puzikas on Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

Spreewerke
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Spreewerke » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:19 pm

Interesting that you post that. I just finished this 7.62 blackpowder notColt 1849 Pocket revolver, myself. Took a fair while, and I actually attempted shading for the first time ever.

It is also apparent that hammers and grips are still my weakpoint.
Last edited by Spreewerke on Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:20 pm

looks goddamn beautiful. may i ask what era is this for?

Frontier-modern day.
Unreachable.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:42 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:
Purpelia wrote:All I care about is what the people of the time would have thought of the idea? Smart? Stupid? Cary? Or maybe, just maybe "why the hell not?"

If I may politely request everyone answer my question in the form of a only one correct multiple choice answer.
1. Smart?
2. Stupid?
3. Why the hell not?

Just post the number of your choice.
Last edited by Purpelia on Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:05 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:

If I may politely request everyone answer my question in the form of a only one correct multiple choice answer.
1. Smart?
2. Stupid?
3. Why the hell not?

Just post the number of your choice.

Combination of 3 and 1. I'd say that the fire selector be a sort of last ditch inclusion in the 50s woul dmake the most sense.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:11 pm

Imperializt Russia wrote:
airsoft is THAT cheap in the US?

hold on, moving to the US

No, he spent $300 on a .22LR bolt-action live-fire rifle and a scope and mount :P

Airsoft is generally expensive. My one foray into Airsoft was a two-tone crappy plastic AEG G36-style thing. With low-capacity magazines (that you could at least clip together) and a mock suppressor that greatly improved its accuracy.

Airsoft did go through a cheapish period starting in mid 2009 when the chinese cheapsoft TM clones appeared. Prices for a basic AEG with a high cap mag hovered around £80-120, i paid £90 for my JG AK-03 (basiclaly an airsoft PSL or more acuratly an Ak with SVD furniture and barrel) which was admittedly a mistake, i should have gone for a basic AK or the G3/MC-51/G3SAS.

The suddenly the VCRA hit bringing with it two tones and TM and everybody else were forced to bring out loads of new stuff which the chinese matched for a while until the Chinese govenrment shut most the cheapsoft factories down.

anyway gun porn of an 1870s revolver that more steam punk than anyhting ever created by steampunks:

http://www.drmeatballs.com/crookfur/ima ... 4791_n.jpg
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Triplebaconation
Senator

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:44 pm

Puzikas wrote:
Imperializt Russia wrote:No, he spent $300 on a .22LR bolt-action live-fire rifle and a scope and mount :P

Not to make you mad but I once bought a live fire .22 for the equal exchange rate for that.

I believe my first new rifle cost 79 dollars. It lasted for 25-30,000 rounds before something non-essential broke.
Proverbs 23:9.

Things are a bit larger than you appear to think, my friend.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information